Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

2 minutes ago, irish eyes said:

Does anyone here believe the Steelers can really put him on the field at this point, regardless of when he shows up? I just don't see how they can. He made his intentions pretty clear.

If he signs I think they have to.  I mean you are paying him $900k a game.  You put him out there and hope for the best   If he dogs it you can always deactivate him and if he fakes an injury you can IR him but either way he gets paid.    You have to hold on to him if you want that 3rd round compensatory pick.

Lol, Sources guess that Leveon will show up saturday. That's literally what the article says. Anyone can guess that! You don't need sources for guesses, they don't know any better than us.

Also, the first game looked rough, I wonder if most of the games this weekend are low scoring and if that might not benefit us against the Browns. Their D could be better than ours, I think an offensive slug match would benefit us rather than a low scoring game. 

11 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Lol, Sources guess that Leveon will show up saturday. That's literally what the article says. Anyone can guess that! You don't need sources for guesses, they don't know any better than us.

Also, the first game looked rough, I wonder if most of the games this weekend are low scoring and if that might not benefit us against the Browns. Their D could be better than ours, I think an offensive slug match would benefit us rather than a low scoring game. 

Yeah that game last night was pretty ugly.   Lotsa rust to shake off. 

It looks like Vance MacDonald is the only player (aside from Bell) that won't be playing so thumbs up to that.

The Browns have definitely improved but they have a lot of new parts so I think the Steelers have the edge there.  It could be a nail biter but Ben's record in Cleveland is pretty damn good so I am thinking maybe a 24-17 win?

I have said it a million times and will probably say another million times,  NOBODY plays to the level of their competition like the Pittsburgh Steelers and Mike Tomlin.   

You can blame Conner all you want for the fumble but there wouldn't have been a overtime without him.  this game was all Ben and all Tomlin turtling up with a 21-7 lead late in the game

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I have said it a million times and will probably say another million times,  NOBODY plays to the level of their competition like the Pittsburgh Steelers and Mike Tomlin.   

You can blame Conner all you want for the fumble but there wouldn't have been a overtime without him.  this game was all Ben and all Tomlin turtling up with a 21-7 lead late in the game

Lol @ anyone blaming Conner. Guy played his ### off today. Ben on the other hand... 

• Like 1

Well blaming meaning the fumble that lead to 21-14.   The only real bad thing he did all game.   

watching Steelers players getting excited about that block FG is just disgusting.  Seriously you tied a team with a record of 1-31 in the last 2 years.  

Edited by hammerva

22 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well blaming meaning the fumble that lead to 21-14.   The only real bad thing he did all game.   

watching Steelers players getting excited about that block FG is just disgusting.  Seriously you tied a team with a record of 1-31 in the last 2 years.  

9/10’s of that roster has turned over. Still shouldn’t have been in that position. Myles Garrett is going to be a pain in the ### for the next decade though.

25 minutes ago, hammerva said:

watching Steelers players getting excited about that block FG is just disgusting.  

Odd take.  Sure it sucks they didn't beat the Browns today.  But at the time the FG was attempted it looked like they were going to outright lose the game - they were excited they didn't lose.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hammerva said:

nothing wrong with them getting excited in the moment of the play

Awful game today.  Not all picks were his fault and the weather was terrible  but Ben played like crap. It was obvious he and AB were not on the same page for most of the game.

Conner did great but the fumble changed the game. The Browns looked like they were about to fold.  

Tons of penalties cost them too.  If they had played anyone else today they would have lost by double digits. They were lucky to have tied

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Awful game today.  Not all picks were his fault and the weather was terrible  but Ben played like crap. It was obvious he and AB were not on the same page for most of the game.

Conner did great but the fumble changed the game. The Browns looked like they were about to fold.  

Tons of penalties cost them too.  If they had played anyone else today they would have lost by double digits. They were lucky to have tied

Conner did do great.  I’m interested to watch the all-22 when it’s abailable to see if Cle played their D differently than when Bell is back there.  Seemed like there was more running lanes, but the passing game was less effective.  Could just be a 1 game anomaly, but the tape should tell us more.

Takeaways from Sunday's Game:

• Cleveland pass rush is the real deal.
  • Tyrod can't pass for crap in the rain, or at all?
  • Steelers run D looks much improved, or the Cleveland O-line is very bad.
  • Watt is a BEAST, 4 sacks in 1 game, when is the last time a Steeler did that?
  • Dupree is doing surprisingly well, 2 sacks. The switch seems to be working
  • Steelers pass catchers and Ben weren't on the same page. Lots of throwing his hands in the air in frustration. I vote play him more in preseason next year, they have to get on the same page. Sloppy.
  • Was it the rain, or is Ben just rusty? Sailed a lot of passes uncatchably high.
  • Conner looked amazing. Lots of rushes for 8+ yards and broken tackles.
  • Had a fumble at the worst time, but gave it his all for the whole game. Excited to see him develop even more.
  • Ben was so bad. He had 0 awareness of players behind him and didn't step up enough in the pocket. 1 pick was all James' fault for popping it up, but the other 2 looked like mistakes on his part.
  • Big Al, I just don't think he's great. He's a pretty good LT, but going against elite talent he has 0 shot. Garrett owned him.
  • Lots of penalties, and Burns was stupid.
  • Sutton had a nice pick on a poorly thrown ball, but he seemed to be letting up a fair amount of passes.
  • Hilton is killing it again
  • Edmunds had a poorly timed penalty but came back later with some great plays.
  • No Jaylen Samuels, thought he'd get more play.
  • Juju looked great, thought they should have gone to him more late in the game.
  • Wish they'd done more short passing, seems like they were trying for intermediate and long passes in poor weather. No bubble screens please.

Overall, I'm sad we didn't win the game, but I'm so happy we didn't lose. That FG block was a lifesaver. I think that the Browns seem improved, and if they start Baker sooner rather than later, I'd be surprised if they didn't beat the Bengals and Ravens at least once. Tyrod looked god awful, but Hue will probably keep trotting him out there even if he goes 15 for 40 next week too.

Bad news, Ravens looked dominant, it was against a bad opponent, but so were we?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Bad news, Ravens looked dominant, it was against a bad opponent, but so were we?

The Ravens did look dominant and I am sure they will be good this year but they were playing at home against what I think might be the worst team in the NFL.  

You can't get too wrapped up in what happened in week 1 but I think it is safe to say that barring significant injuries to major players this division is going be a dog fight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I saw than and jesse james once as well. Kind of crazy that Connor barely even got a break. 

Baseless speculation: Wonder if a portion of that was as some kind of a middle finger to Bell for a game?  "We don't need you." 

Aside from that, the game basically was a bag of suck.  You can't turn the ball over 4 or 5 times and expect to beat anyone.  They are super fortunate that they managed to tie.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Big Al, I just don't think he's great. He's a pretty good LT, but going against elite talent he has 0 shot. Garrett owned him.

Can't blame him for facing Myles Garrett who is making plays like this:

Gumby like bend/wrap/finish. He has All Pro/Def Player of the Year talent.

Daniel Jeremiah‏Verified account @MoveTheSticks

FollowFollow @MoveTheSticks

Myles Garrett was dominant today. Favorite 2 plays— 1) throwing TE into the RB 2) Gumby like bend/wrap/finish. He has All Pro/Def Player of the Year talent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely 'sick' bend that got down so low that no LT can stop.

He really is that good and check out the other play that DJ highlights that I missed during the game.  True awesomeness.  

40 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

True, but I just think he's not great at LT, even against lesser talent. I hope that in the next year or 2 we use a high pick on LT. Or, have Chuks develop into a better LT. 

That is fair, he's not great but their are few that are.  He's good and effective as part of a line that does a very good job.  

The offense had over 400 yards and put up 3 TDs but Myles is a beast against everyone.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

James Washington had zero targets on Sunday.  In fact I am not sure he even played an offensive snap though he did play on special teams.   Why in the heck are Justin Hunter and Ryan Switzer playing over Washington?   

He has been banged up I think. I like Justin Hunter. No Samuels either. I think they limited packages this week. 

I think Tomlin is a pretty good coach for the most part and am by no means calling for his head but some of his usage of his players baffles me.   I have no idea why you need to run the same running back for the entire game.  I know that Conner was having a monster game but give him a spell every now and then.   This is one of the reasons Bell is holding out.

I am sorry but James Washington should be getting more offensive snaps than Hunter, Switzer or Heyward Bey.   You drafted him in the 2nd round, get him out there!  I suppose there are things I don't know about -- perhaps Washington was running the wrong routes in practice all week or kept messing up in other areas.  I still think he's gotta be a better #3 wide out than three I mentioned.

The other thing, and it is too late to do anything about this now, but Tomlin needs to play the starters more than a quarter in only one preseason game.  Ben looked awful and I am not sure if that is due to rust, the weather or being on the road but Ben should get at least a few reps in every preseason game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Ben looked awful and I am not sure if that is due to rust, the weather or being on the road

Gerry Dulac‏Verified account @gerrydulac

FollowFollow @gerrydulac

Coach Mike Tomlin revealed Ben Roethlisberger sustained some form of elbow injury against the Cleveland Browns that could limit his practice time this week but did not indicate it would affect his availability for Sunday’s game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

9:15 AM - 11 Sep 2018

---------------------------------------------------------

I think I know when he sustained the elbow injury >>>> Elbow contact photo

Just now, Bracie Smathers said:

Gerry Dulac‏Verified account @gerrydulac

FollowFollow @gerrydulac

Coach Mike Tomlin revealed Ben Roethlisberger sustained some form of elbow injury against the Cleveland Browns that could limit his practice time this week but did not indicate it would affect his availability for Sunday’s game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

9:15 AM - 11 Sep 2018

---------------------------------------------------------

I think I know when he sustained the elbow injury >>>> Elbow contact photo

I listened to the presser.  It didn't sound very serious.   DeCastro has a fractured hand but finished the game with it so I assume he will be okay next week.  Hayden's hamstring injury is probably the most concerning but Tomlin did not rule him out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

I think Tomlin is a pretty good coach for the most part and am by no means calling for his head but some of his usage of his players baffles me.   I have no idea why you need to run the same running back for the entire game.  I know that Conner was having a monster game but give him a spell every now and then.   This is one of the reasons Bell is holding out.

I am sorry but James Washington should be getting more offensive snaps than Hunter, Switzer or Heyward Bey.   You drafted him in the 2nd round, get him out there!  I suppose there are things I don't know about -- perhaps Washington was running the wrong routes in practice all week or kept messing up in other areas.  I still think he's gotta be a better #3 wide out than three I mentioned.

The other thing, and it is too late to do anything about this now, but Tomlin needs to play the starters more than a quarter in only one preseason game.  Ben looked awful and I am not sure if that is due to rust, the weather or being on the road but Ben should get at least a few reps in every preseason game.

I personally think it's time for him to go.  But we'll hear the ever popular, who would you replace him with. Done with Tomlin, let's move on. 

Edited by irish eyes
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, irish eyes said:

I personally think it's time for him to go.  But we'll hear the ever popular, who would you replace him with. Done with Tomlin, let's move on. 

Did you see Matt Patricia last night?  Dude looked like he had no clue whatsoever.  Don't dismiss the "who would you replace him with" question so easily - there are a lot of terrible coaches out there.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Steeler said:

Did you see Matt Patricia last night?  Dude looked like he had no clue whatsoever.  Don't dismiss the "who would you replace him with" question so easily - there are a lot of terrible coaches out there.

I’m not calling for Tomlin’s head but IMO it’s lazy to think that he’s not replaceable. Do your research and find someone who is young and innovative and willing to use a little bit of analytics.  Philly and LAC both have had recent success.  It doesn’t even have to be a guy with a “football mind”.

i don’t believe in my heart that Tomlin will ever win another Super Bowl.  As others have mentioned, he doesn’t seem to have the team prepared against weak opponents.  He’s not a good gametime coach and bad at clock management.  I have no confidence in him out coaching a superior coach even in a one game “do or die” scenario.  

The one big positive is that his players love him and I do believe that should count for a lot. 

The window for this team is closing (if it isn’t already shut). Just want to see them maximize their chances over the next couple years.

Edited by fred_1_15301
  • Like 1

Listen, I get being frustrated with Tomlin and I get that he’s not on par with the supposed masterminds (you know, the coaches in the league who bench their best CB in the Super Bowl, trade their best pass rusher and future QB out of hubris) but let’s not be so foolish to think that Todd McVay’s grow on trees. Let’s also not forget that if we’re to give guys like that credit for getting expensive vets to play on the same page then Tomlin should get a whole hell of a lot of credit for the development of this roster which includes a massively high percentage of home grown talent in comparison to the rest of the league. 

Player development is an unheralded part of being a coach. If his history is indicative of anything it’s that whatever he is doing in that area he should be considered one of the leagues best.

Edited by Bojang0301
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I’m not calling for Tomlin’s head but IMO it’s lazy to think that he’s not replaceable.

I didn't say Tomlin was irreplaceable.  If anything is lazy, it's saying he should be fired and then dismissing the question of who should replace him.

7 hours ago, bucksoh said:

Tomlin sucks for a coach.  He has Superior talent and he does squat with it every year.  Any other team and bye now we would have had a new coach.  It's too bad because Ben could have went down as an all time great.

I realize that Super Bowl championships are the ultimate goal but I would hardly say that Tomlin has done squat.   I am not saying that Tomlin should be coach for life but we could do worse.   As far as that debacle in Cleveland, Tomlin deserves some of the blame but he wasn't the one throwing picks, fumbling the ball and missing a game winning field goal in OT.

• Like 2