Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

* sigh * Now Antonio is talking about being traded.   What a circus and AB is the lead clown

Ryan Scarpino‏ @RyanScarpino

AB needs to thank his lucky stars, because he was drafted by a team that had Ben. And Ben got AB paid. You know darn well he wouldn’t put up those numbers for other teams.

Antonio Brown‏Verified account @AB84

Antonio Brown Retweeted Ryan Scarpino

Trade me let’s find out

I can't blame AB for responding that way.  I can blame him for responding to idiots on twitter. 

Edited by Donnybrook
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

It’s week 2. Relaxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What have you seen from this defense that would allow you to relax?  They’re a very bad defense.  That’s been evident since Shazier’s injury.  I think the odds of the wheels completely falling off this year are greater than the odds of them righting the ship.  They’ll beat Tampa though.

Just now, fred_1_15301 said:

What have you seen from this defense that would allow you to relax?  They’re a very bad defense.  That’s been evident since Shazier’s injury.  I think the odds of the wheels completely falling off this year are greater than the odds of them righting the ship.  They’ll beat Tampa though.

Uh, the past 20 years of Steelers football. Their D is bad, no doubt, but the misconception always becomes that every other team in the NFL is somehow better or not dealing with the same stuff. They didn’t have Haden or Decastro yesterday which hurt both the secondary and the run game. The NFL season is partially about luck. I’m hoping this is the season everything breaks right on the injury front (i.e. no season long injuries). They have at least two capable pass rushers in Hayward and Watt (and depending on which way the wind blows Bud Dupree and Tuitt). They won’t be playing a QB that has a slingshot arm every week where it’s not only coming out at .02 seconds but also at 110 mph to WR’s and TE’s that get fantastic separation. The Bengals lead this division and I think they’re a bunch of smoke and mirrors. The Browns have been Browning (albeit partially against the Steelers) and the Ravens looked bad against Cincy. Certainly you like to see the team take hold early in the season with all cylinders firing but this division may not be that good which gives a little more leeway to what I think is the most talented team. They need to get it together, but I’ll wait to have panic if they go 0-2-1 to the Bucs. The NFL season is simultaneously long and short. I’m choosing to look at the long right now and think it will be ok, even if I would like Keith Butler to not be around next year.

13 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I dont think they will beat Tampa, who just beat philly yesterday. Fitzpatrick has thrown for what, almost 900 yards in 2 games. No reason to think he won't light up the Steelers.  They can't cover anyone and they dont have the players or coaches to turn it around. They are what they are, it's pretty bad at this point. I joked with people right before the season that they'd have to score 30 to 35 a game to win, that seems to low now.

2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

I think this season could very well be Tomlin's biggest challenge and it will be interesting to see how this plays out.  If Tomlin can right the ship it may be the crowning achievement of his career.  If it goes off the rails completely then it is probably time for him to move on.   

Crowning achievement?  Not sure I agree with that, considering the current mess, for lack of a better term, is happening on Tomlin's watch. 

It is two weeks. Something has looked off when it comes to defensive substitution and communication. Not sure if that is on the DC, position coaches, or players. We havr new guys and young guys in the positions making adjustments on the field mostly. The substitution issues, especially in cleveland I assume are DC fault unless the players were out of shape. 

7 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

It is two weeks. Something has looked off when it comes to defensive substitution and communication. Not sure if that is on the DC, position coaches, or players. We havr new guys and young guys in the positions making adjustments on the field mostly. The substitution issues, especially in cleveland I assume are DC fault unless the players were out of shape. 

That defense has not been able to replace Shazier so it has shown cracks dating back to last year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Kacsmar‏Verified account @FO_ScottKacsmar

FollowFollow @FO_ScottKacsmar

Steelers - most points scored in a home loss in team history

1. 42 vs. 2017 Jaguars (AFC-DIV)
  2. 37 vs. 2018 Chiefs (Week 2)
  3.  36 vs. 1999 Titans (Week 17)

The top two games are the last two home games.

1:25 PM - 16 Sep 2018

------------------------------------------------------------------

Dungy on Steelers defense: 'Tomlin needs to get that fixed'

“It’s bad, and it has nothing to do with Le’Veon Bell not being there,” Dungy said. “The defensive side of the ball — missed tackle after missed tackle, blown coverages, guys running wide open, no discipline on defense.

They face a red-hot Fitzpatrick on the road on Monday Night next week.

The offense  obviously is scoring without LeVeon and with teams scheming away AB but that defense is a sieve.

They lost Shazier and they haven't been able to replace him.

48 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Crowning achievement?  Not sure I agree with that, considering the current mess, for lack of a better term, is happening on Tomlin's watch. 

Maybe not but my point is this team appears to be spiraling out of control.  There aren't too many coaches that don't go through periods like this.  One of the hallmarks of a great coach is to be able to right the ship before it is too late.   If he can turn things around it would be a testament to his coaching and leadership.   If things continue to deteriorate then it will show the opposite.

We are only 2 games into the season so there is plenty of time but that defense sure looks to be badly broken.  They are going on the road to face a red hot Tampa Bay team that just beat the defending Super Bowl champs.  After that they face their biggest rival Baltimore Ravens.

If the Steelers crap the bed on those two games they will be 0-3-1.  Not too many teams recover from a start like that.

1 hour ago, Bojang0301 said:

The Bengals lead this division and I think they’re a bunch of smoke and mirrors. 

Maybe.  Maybe not.  The Bengals focused on four things this offseason:

1.  Get pressure on the QB

2.  Stop the run

3.  Protect Dalton

4.  Win the turnover battle by creating big plays on defense.

With the exception of winning the turnover battle in the Colts game (it was a tie), the Bengals have accomplished all four goals both games... and the other opponents for the Colts and ravens accomplished none of the four goals, except the Skins won the turnover battle versus the Colts.

Ravens versus Bills -117 yards rushing (3.4 avg),  got 6 sacks, gave up 2 sacks; got 2 turnovers, gave 1

Ravens vs Bengals - 66 yards rushing (3.0 avg), got 0 sacks, gave up 4 sacks, got 0 turnovers, gave up 3

Colts versus Skins - 104 yards rushing (3.7 avg), got 3 sacks, gave up 1, got 1 TO gave up 2

Colts versus Bengals -- 75 yards rushing (3.4 avg), 2 sacks each way, 2 tos each way

So after 2 games Bengals opponents are rushing for 64% of the yards, getting 22% as many sacks (2 vs 9), giving up 100% more sacks (3 vs 6), and did worse in the TO battle (3 each way vs got 2 gave up 5).

Maybe smoke and mirrors, but quite a coincidence that this mirage marries up with their offseason priorities.

I have no idea how deep the Steelers struggles actually are.  As folks have pointed out, they have pulled away from the brink of collapse many times in the past... and year in and year out it is a very safe prediction to say that the Bengals will fold, but maybe, just maybe, this year you might be wrong.

Full disclosure - lifelong Bengals fan who keeps going back for more KoolAid.

Final side note - the Bengals are half way through the four games they must play without their best linebacker and 2d best defender due to suspension.

15 hours ago, Brisco54 said:

Maybe.  Maybe not.  The Bengals focused on four things this offseason:

1.  Get pressure on the QB

2.  Stop the run

3.  Protect Dalton

4.  Win the turnover battle by creating big plays on defense.

With the exception of winning the turnover battle in the Colts game (it was a tie), the Bengals have accomplished all four goals both games... and the other opponents for the Colts and ravens accomplished none of the four goals, except the Skins won the turnover battle versus the Colts.

Ravens versus Bills -117 yards rushing (3.4 avg),  got 6 sacks, gave up 2 sacks; got 2 turnovers, gave 1

Ravens vs Bengals - 66 yards rushing (3.0 avg), got 0 sacks, gave up 4 sacks, got 0 turnovers, gave up 3

Colts versus Skins - 104 yards rushing (3.7 avg), got 3 sacks, gave up 1, got 1 TO gave up 2

Colts versus Bengals -- 75 yards rushing (3.4 avg), 2 sacks each way, 2 tos each way

So after 2 games Bengals opponents are rushing for 64% of the yards, getting 22% as many sacks (2 vs 9), giving up 100% more sacks (3 vs 6), and did worse in the TO battle (3 each way vs got 2 gave up 5).

Maybe smoke and mirrors, but quite a coincidence that this mirage marries up with their offseason priorities.

I have no idea how deep the Steelers struggles actually are.  As folks have pointed out, they have pulled away from the brink of collapse many times in the past... and year in and year out it is a very safe prediction to say that the Bengals will fold, but maybe, just maybe, this year you might be wrong.

Full disclosure - lifelong Bengals fan who keeps going back for more KoolAid.

Final side note - the Bengals are half way through the four games they must play without their best linebacker and 2d best defender due to suspension.

I think the Bengals are legit, at least more so than the Steelers.  Though they are banged up in the backfield and Dalton can implode at any time.

One remark regarding the final note:  I'm not sure that getting Burfict back is a good thing.

Edited by Godsbrother

It's probably too early to freak out, but with how our defense is playing even if the offense is great we can still lose games. 0-5-1 is not crazy going against a red hot tampa in tampa, the Ravens, the Falcons, and the Bengals.  It's not looking great, but one good showing on Monday could 100% turn things around.  Butler needs to turn things around quickly, but idk how he just fixed tackling issues. 

14 minutes ago, CentralPA said:

Brown doesn't report for work on Monday and the Steelers don't know where he is...

...wtf is going on!?!

Tomlin's presser in a few minutes, maybe he can shed light on the situation.   IF he went AWOL I think the Steelers need to deactivate him a game and let AB feel it in his pocket book though considering the importance of this game it would be a really bad time for that.

• Like 2

He was clearly upset with something during the game as he was arguing with someone in the 3rd quarter I think.  Then that stuff on Twitter where he basically said to trade him and let see how good the offense really is.    I am hoping that he isn't pissed because JuJu got all the touches but with receivers who the hell knows.

Discipline has always been an issue with Tomlin teams and since the Jaguars playoff game it has been nothing but that lately.

Tomlin's press conferences make me vomit. No wonder there is no discipline, he doesn't seem to concerned with anything really. "Well, it's only 2 games,  well it wasn't any one player, scheme, or play, well Jacksonville game was last year that has nothing to do with this year". Geesh, what a disaster this team is. I hadn't even heard brown didnt show up yesterday. Just unbelievable.

45 minutes ago, irish eyes said:

Tomlin's press conferences make me vomit. No wonder there is no discipline, he doesn't seem to concerned with anything really. "Well, it's only 2 games,  well it wasn't any one player, scheme, or play, well Jacksonville game was last year that has nothing to do with this year". Geesh, what a disaster this team is. I hadn't even heard brown didnt show up yesterday. Just unbelievable.

It's popcorn.

1 minute ago, Bojang0301 said:

If this becomes a big problem, I say ship AB to Buffalo and revoke Bell’s tag right before week 10. Let them enjoy the way the rest of the league works. I’m not sure when it became so bad to be a Steeler. They should maybe spend more time talking to Jerome Bettis and Hines Ward than James Harrison.

I share your frustration but you can't get rid of AB unless you are ready to bail on the 2018 season after only 2 games.

3 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I share your frustration but you can't get rid of AB unless you are ready to bail on the 2018 season after only 2 games.

And they won’t, but I’m not sure how you allow it. They allowed the Harrison antics to become a mess last year and now it’s carried over into this year. Eventually it needs to be cut out because it’s cancer.

Just now, Bojang0301 said:

And they won’t, but I’m not sure how you allow it. They allowed the Harrison antics to become a mess last year and now it’s carried over into this year. Eventually it needs to be cut out because it’s cancer.

I think they have to deactivate AB for the Tampa Bay game, or at the very least sit him the 1st half.  Brown is only concerned about stats so doing this may get through to him.  If it doesn't then more drastic measures should be taken.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

The person responsible is Tomlin, and as most people say they won't fire him. Although I'm entirely sure why not. They've done nothing in 10 years, and apparently players can do whatever they feel like with ZERO repercussions.

3 minutes ago, irish eyes said:

The person responsible is Tomlin, and as most people say they won't fire him. Although I'm entirely sure why not. They've done nothing in 10 years, and apparently players can do whatever they feel like with ZERO repercussions.

This organization doesn’t, and has never, made unilateral decisions. Ownership and management are just as blame worthy if there is an issue or if this becomes a bigger issue. They are extremely patient compared to the rest of the league. The last time something boiled over Santonio Holmes was quickly moved. I don’t think this is close to a boil over yet.

5 minutes ago, irish eyes said:

I was never one to jump on Tomlin but I’m losing my patience with everything . Between Tomlins loose ship , the specials & Butler :hot: 

23 minutes ago, irish eyes said:

I should know better but I'll bite...

I am concerned that the team may be spiraling our of control too and maybe we are getting to the point where Tomlin has to go ..., but this statement is ridiculous. 

In 10 years the Steelers have a 106-55-1 record and

7 years in the playoffs
5 AFC North Championships
3 times in AFC title games
2 AFC Championships
1 Super Bowl Championship

Aside from the Patriots who are in a league by themselves, there aren't a whole lot of the teams that have been more successful.

• Like 11

AB's agent put out a statement saying that a personal matter came up abruptly. "This is a non-story that has been blown out of proportion." That sums it up. AB missed some meetings and tweeted back at a person he knows personally, and apparently doesn't like.  I'm not going to make more out of this than it warrants. He'll be on the field Monday and will help us beat the Bucs.

Fitzmagic ends this week. Then we ride our newfound momentum into a win against the Ravens, Falcons, and Bengals. Then we face off against the Browns in Pittsburgh and put a world of hurt on them. We destroy them so completely that Tyrod is benched for Baker the next game. The Steelers are going to show that their demise is vastly overblown. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

AB's agent put out a statement saying that a personal matter came up abruptly. "This is a non-story that has been blown out of proportion." That sums it up. AB missed some meetings and tweeted back at a person he knows personally, and apparently doesn't like.  I'm not going to make more out of this than it warrants. He'll be on the field Monday and will help us beat the Bucs.

Fitzmagic ends this week. Then we ride our newfound momentum into a win against the Ravens, Falcons, and Bengals. Then we face off against the Browns in Pittsburgh and put a world of hurt on them. We destroy them so completely that Tyrod is benched for Baker the next game. The Steelers are going to show that their demise is vastly overblown. 

You are the anti-Irish Eyes!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

I'm not so sure I'd blow this off yet.  AB was clearly pissed at teammates and coaches on Sunday and didn't attempt to hide it on numerous occasions, then he posts "trade me," then he doesn't show up on Monday.

Where there's smoke there's fire... 

1 hour ago, Buttonhook said:

I'm not so sure I'd blow this off yet.  AB was clearly pissed at teammates and coaches on Sunday and didn't attempt to hide it on numerous occasions, then he posts "trade me," then he doesn't show up on Monday.

Where there's smoke there's fire... 

Meh, he was just fired up, like Brady or Rivers. He's just a "diva" because he's a WR and not a QB. If Ben did the same thing we wouldn't be freaking out.

And his agent said he had a personal matter come up and that the trade tweet was just a response to someone he knows on twitter.  The guy basically said he'd be nothing without Ben, and AB responded basically saying that he'd be awesome everywhere.  People are making a ton out of some nonsense.

AB will be back in practice after their day off today. 

When the going gets tough, teams need our support all the more, they don't need us turning on them and freaking out over every little thing. Reminds me of the Pats last year after they lost to KC. 

1 hour ago, steelers1080 said:

Maybe you should be the DC. I kind of want to hit someone right now :towelwave:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

:excited: 

1at Browns Tie

2vs Chiefs Loss

3at Buccaneers Loss

4vs Ravens Loss

5vs Falcons Loss

6at Bengals Loss

7Bye

8vs Browns Win

9at Ravens Loss

10vs Panthers Loss

11at Jaguars Loss

12at Broncos Win

13vs Chargers Loss

14at Raiders Win

15vs Patriots Loss

16at Saints Loss

17vs Bengals Loss

My overreaction prediction for the rest of the season. 3-12-1 and a top 5 pick. The d is so bad its like the offense has to score on every drive or they have no shot. 

8 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

I should know better but I'll bite...

I am concerned that the team may be spiraling our of control too and maybe we are getting to the point where Tomlin has to go ..., but this statement is ridiculous. 

In 10 years the Steelers have a 106-55-1 record and

7 years in the playoffs
5 AFC North Championships
3 times in AFC title games
2 AFC Championships
1 Super Bowl Championship

Aside from the Patriots who are in a league by themselves, there aren't a whole lot of the teams that have been more successful.

ok I'll bite Since I consider Ben elite with an elite supporting cast let's just take a look at the rest of the elite qbs.

Aaron Rogers wins 100/ losses 59 with 8 playoff appearances 1 SB win.  with barely a supporting cast.

Drew Brees 95wins 63 losses 5 playoff appearances with 1 SB win.  All done with no defense and not even close to the weapons Ben has had.

When you have an Elite Qb they will get you automatically 7-8 wins with any coach, history has taught us this.  

If Ben even had a serviceable coach we would be talking him up like Brady because he would have more SB Wins.

we win In spite/very little because  of Tomlin.  although did we win when he tried to tackle that player on the return if so I'll give him that w.

Bill Belicheck will go back to being a under 500 coach when Brady retires although Bill should be smart enough to retire because he should know history of football.

records might be a little off but people should get the point.

6 minutes ago, bucksoh said:

ok I'll bite Since I consider Ben elite with an elite supporting cast let's just take a look at the rest of the elite qbs.

Aaron Rogers wins 100/ losses 59 with 8 playoff appearances 1 SB win.  with barely a supporting cast.

Drew Brees 95wins 63 losses 5 playoff appearances with 1 SB win.  All done with no defense and not even close to the weapons Ben has had.

When you have an Elite Qb they will get you automatically 7-8 wins with any coach, history has taught us this.  

If Ben even had a serviceable coach we would be talking him up like Brady because he would have more SB Wins.

we win In spite/very little because  of Tomlin.  although did we win when he tried to tackle that player on the return if so I'll give him that w.

Bill Belicheck will go back to being a under 500 coach when Brady retires although Bill should be smart enough to retire because he should know history of football.

records might be a little off but people should get the point.

Philip Rivers proves your stud QB theory quite wrong. As does Peyton Manning, for that matter, who had 1 coach in Indy fired under his tenure (not counting the season he got injured) and another coach in Denver. Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. Steelers fans are quick to jump down Tomlin’s throat but it wasn’t that long ago they were also saying Cowher couldn’t win a SB because he was too conservative. Now, he’s still a hero for the team. Maybe Tomlin won’t win another SB, I don’t know. It’s hard to ####### do. Just because he has to go up against the buzz saw that is Bill Belichick every year does not mean he is easily replaceable. I’m just curious as to who you guys would want as a replacement if Tomlin was fired? I thought Matt Patricia was the coach to get this year and he looks completely lost. The year Hue got hired the sports news all called him the best hire of the offseason and Pederson a desperation get and a weak hire. I don’t remember people ranting and raving about how great the Sean McVay hire was. There is a reason the Steelers stick with Tomlin. Yes, he’s had some bad losses but over the long run it’s hard to disagree with his resume.