What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (3 Viewers)

I'm pulling for Ola to get some snaps, but after missing out for half the year, I think our expectations should be pretty low. Watt is killing it though, so if Ola gets to play across from him, he should have some decent looks. 

Can we beat any of the three offensive juggernauts?

They  have all outscored everyone so far but I certainly think we could make LA punt.  KC and NO.....not so sure.

We can afford zero injuries on D.  

Can we beat any of the three offensive juggernauts?

They  have all outscored everyone so far but I certainly think we could make LA punt.  KC and NO.....not so sure.

We can afford zero injuries on D.  
I think we could possibly hang with KC.   Their defense is really bad and ours is playing much better than it was September.  It would be a great game.

The Saints are going to be real tough -- I wish that game in December was in Pittsburgh.

I am not worried at all about the LA Rams but I really I hope that we have to in February  ;)  

The Steelers were just robbed by the worst rule in sports. (Grimble fumbled at goal line and ball was given to Broncos at 20 yard line.)

Fumble out of bounds at 1-inch line = retain possession (no loss of yards)

Fumble out of bounds at goal line = lose possession (AND lose 20 yards)

It's such a senseless, illogical rule. In every other fumble scenario, the ball stays with the offense. But in this one exception, you not only give the defense credit for recovering the fumble (which they didn't earn), but you give them 20 free yards as well.

The Steelers were just robbed by the worst rule in sports. (Grimble fumbled at goal line and ball was given to Broncos at 20 yard line.)

Fumble out of bounds at 1-inch line = retain possession (no loss of yards)

Fumble out of bounds at goal line = lose possession (AND lose 20 yards)

It's such a senseless, illogical rule. In every other fumble scenario, the ball stays with the offense. But in this one exception, you not only give the defense credit for recovering the fumble (which they didn't earn), but you give them 20 free yards as well.
Yup but it happens every year in the NFL.  Wish they would change the rule.

Overall not too upset about today.  This team is still in very good position to win the division and a shot at a bye.  After the first 3 weeks of the season, that's more than you can ask for.  I don't care what their records are, it's tough to beat both Jax and Denver on the road back to back.  Probably won a game that we shouldn't have last week and lost a game that we should have won this week.  Oh well.

On a side note, I thought there were a few clock management blunders on both sides near the end of the game.  The Steelers should not have run a play before the 2 minute warning.  I still don't know how Ben can't figure that out.  Then the Broncos bail the Steelers out by not calling a timeout on the next play after the 2 minute warning.  Unfortunately the next play is the awful puck.   

Steeler said:
Regardless of the rule - Grimble should have switched the ball to his left hand.  Had he executed that basic / no brainer task - he most likely would not have fumbled the ball. 
You're not wrong about the bolded, but had he just hesitated for half a beat as he approached the GL it was an easy TD regardless. 

Defender was looking to do one thing at that point, because he didn't have any angle to keep Grimble out of the EZ:  plaster him in an effort to knock the ball out.  With the Bronco going full speed and leaning into his sprint, there was just about no way he could change direction in any meaningful way.  If Grimble had slowed down even one micron of a second as he approached the GL (up to an including a full on "brake check" at the stripe) instead of trying to prove he could run through a guy, the defender flies right past him and he falls in for the score, probably even if anyone else had managed to catch him from behind.

Or at least just put both hands on the ball if you can't be bothered to switch it over.  Zero awareness, on multiple levels.  Which is probably one reason Grimble is the third team TE and not further up the food chain.

Got Denver off the hook massively and set the tone for the rest of the game.  The dropped McDonald TD later was horrid too.  Seems all the guy does consistently is drop/fumble/get called for penalties.  Fantastic athlete, ####ty situational football player.  That's an 11 point swing on two plays.

Had this one down as a loss from jump, since it was in Denver, but it still chapped me to watch them find yet another way to lose a game in that building.

I wonder if the Steelers are losing trust in Conner near the goal line.  2 straight weeks where they hardly gave him a carry near the goal line with the game on the line.

Good loss. Maybe the focus will return now?

Fat, dumb, and happy has been the rule under Tomlin it seems... they just cannot be trusted to leave Pittsburgh and stay on point. Unless their backs are against the wall. Different team then.

Good loss. Maybe the focus will return now?

Fat, dumb, and happy has been the rule under Tomlin it seems... they just cannot be trusted to leave Pittsburgh and stay on point. Unless their backs are against the wall. Different team then.
Aside from the Browns game the Steelers were 4-0 on the road this season.  Of course they won the Jacksonville game by the slimmest of margins.    

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed opportunity yesterday (obviously).  4 Turnovers, one at the goal line (Grimble), one from the 3 (Ben INT), and one after a big catch and run by Conner which would have setup a first down deep in DEN territory, plus the other Ben pick. Also, the blocked FG, and Ben missing JuJu on the first play of the 2nd half (would have been a TD).... oh yeah, James Washington diving instead of running under that other bomb (probably would have been a TD as well)... so close on so many plays.

It sucks they lost, but if they can clean up these stupid unforced errors with these silly turnovers they still can make a deep run in the playoffs.

So for you "bad rule" people.

If the Offense fumbles out of their own endzone should it then no longer be a safety also?

Well, that sucked. We had multiple opportunities slip through our fingers:

1. AB missed a wide open TD pass to Samuels.
  2. Grimble could have cut back for an easy TD.
  3. Washington dove for 0 reason on a long bomb that could have gone for a TD if he just kept running and got under it. 
  4. Big Ben threw a bonehead INT to end the game. It would have been picked by the CB if not the DT.
We looked bad and didnt' capitalize on opportunities at all. We also didn't generate much pressure during the game. We will get destroyed by the Chargers this week if the team doesn't step up, even if they are missing Melvin Gordon. 

Harrison apparently will be at Heinz on Sunday night for a reunion of the SB championship team.  I wonder what the reaction to him will be.

In my ideal world, everyone would get a rousing ovation, then Harrison gets the exact same reception that accompanies a straight 300 yard drive on the PGA Tour.  Gentle, polite applause.  Nothing more.  I think that would be the most appropriate response.

Harrison apparently will be at Heinz on Sunday night for a reunion of the SB championship team.  I wonder what the reaction to him will be.

In my ideal world, everyone would get a rousing ovation, then Harrison gets the exact same reception that accompanies a straight 300 yard drive on the PGA Tour.  Gentle, polite applause.  Nothing more.  I think that would be the most appropriate response.
You think he doesn't deserve to get the same reaction because he played for the Pats for a few games? 

IMO, in 10 years most Steelers fans will forget about it, but maybe right now the wound hasn't healed?

Was at the Doncos game this weekend...  Really disappointed with how many Steelers fans were blaming Ben for that loss.  Up until that point I thought he played great, and was the only reason we were in the game (DEF was below average, receiving stunk, and OL was questionable at best).

You think he doesn't deserve to get the same reaction because he played for the Pats for a few games? 

IMO, in 10 years most Steelers fans will forget about it, but maybe right now the wound hasn't healed?
Not because he played for the Pats but because of how he accomplished it.   The dude was a locker room cancer his final year here and has disrespected the Steelers since he left.  I'll be at the game but likely not in my seats in time for the ceremony but if I was I would not boo him but I don't think I would give him a rousing cheer either.  

Was at the Doncos game this weekend...  Really disappointed with how many Steelers fans were blaming Ben for that loss.  Up until that point I thought he played great, and was the only reason we were in the game (DEF was below average, receiving stunk, and OL was questionable at best).
Ben played pretty well but the two interceptions, especially the one in the endzone, were brutal.    I think the main issue I have is a game plan where you are throwing the ball 60+ times against a team that was ranked 27th against the run.    The Steelers need to look at their record when Ben throws 45+ and realize they are better team when they have a balanced attack.

If they'd told him that he was no longer needed and cut him and he signed with NE, I would bear no grudge.  I had no issue whatsoever with him when he signed with Cincy, and that's a divisional opponent.

Being almost 40 years old and ostensibly a team leader and pulling the BS he apparently pulled in order to get cut so he could go sign with the biggest threat to the Steelers Super Bowl chances?  Yeah, that went down rough.  This was less than 12 months ago.  I don't expect rapturous applause.

Not because he played for the Pats but because of how he accomplished it.   The dude was a locker room cancer his final year here and has disrespected the Steelers since he left.  I'll be at the game but likely not in my seats in time for the ceremony but if I was I would not boo him but I don't think I would give him a rousing cheer either.  
Exactly.  I feel like a courteous golf clap would really get the message across.  Problem is, you'd have to coordinate 60,000+ people to all do that.  Could never happen, but it would be choice if it did.

Exactly.  I feel like a courteous golf clap would really get the message across.  Problem is, you'd have to coordinate 60,000+ people to all do that.  Could never happen, but it would be choice if it did.
I don’t even care.  As long as it fires up the team, I’ll take it

Ben played pretty well but the two interceptions, especially the one in the endzone, were brutal.    I think the main issue I have is a game plan where you are throwing the ball 60+ times against a team that was ranked 27th against the run.    The Steelers need to look at their record when Ben throws 45+ and realize they are better team when they have a balanced attack.
Good points.  Regarding their run defense, according to Broncos fans they've actually tightened up a lot over the last few games and play a lot better than 27th in the league.  But it was surprising we didn't try to run a bit more.  Almost makes me think Conner is nursing an injury or hitting a wall.

You really think Harrison being there is going to fire up the team?  
Probably not. I know things ended on bad terms but he was a leader for most of his career in Pittsburgh.  There may be some of the older guys who still respect him.  Not sure - probably won’t have an effect one way or another.

On another note, I never noticed how good Philip River’s career stats are.  It’s truly a shame that he’s been stuck in San Diego.

This team is so ####### stupid at times.  And shocker the offside penalties mostly came from secondary.  

They are just begging for the Ravens to take 1st place right now.  Now they play the Raiders who stink so the Steelers will probably play awful in that game

This team is so ####### stupid at times.  And shocker the offside penalties mostly came from secondary.  

They are just begging for the Ravens to take 1st place right now.  Now they play the Raiders who stink so the Steelers will probably play awful in that game
The Ravens still have to play both the Chiefs and Chargers (both on the road) so in theory the Steelers should win the division.  But 2 weeks in a row they’ve snatched defeat from the jaws of victory so who knows.  Regardless they don’t look anywhere close to a super bowl team to me.  They shoot themselves in the foot way too much.

The Ravens still have to play both the Chiefs and Chargers (both on the road) so in theory the Steelers should win the division.  But 2 weeks in a row they’ve snatched defeat from the jaws of victory so who knows.  Regardless they don’t look anywhere close to a super bowl team to me.  They shoot themselves in the foot way too much.
The Steelers still have to play Pats and Saints. Both teams schedules look rough to finish the year

At some point the coaching staff has learned and adjusted all they’re going to. As good as the defense has been this year, an LB covering Keenan Allen at the crescendo of the game is moronic. The offsides penalties is a discipline issue. Big Ben shooting off his mouth is discipline... again. If Tomlin wants to let the circus go on maybe he should go away. Seems like when things are going good everyone gets along and when they go even slightly bad it’s like the titanic and everyone shoots off their mouth. Just shut up and win. Stop the penalties, stop the circus and start acting like the superior team of the AFC North you are. Terrible. /endrant

Very disappointing.  The Steelers usually don't lose home prime time games.   

A few weeks ago I was worried they were peaking too soon now I am hoping they can back into the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread