What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (2 Viewers)

steelers1080 said:
The Steelers could be slow movers in FA if they want compensatory picks next year. If they only lose Bell and Jesse James, and they sign 2 people, then there's no 3rd rounder coming next year. I think there's a cutoff date, after which they can sign players with no threat to receiving a comp pick. The only other person we might lose is Chickillo, maybe some other roster fodder, but idk. 
I don’t think that’s exactly right.  The FA’s they sign have to be comparable in value to the one(s) they lose.  For example, if they had signed Gore to a 1year/$2M deal, and Bell signs for 4 years/$50M, those 2 don’t cancel each other, with regards to comp,pick calculation.

I don’t think that’s exactly right.  The FA’s they sign have to be comparable in value to the one(s) they lose.  For example, if they had signed Gore to a 1year/$2M deal, and Bell signs for 4 years/$50M, those 2 don’t cancel each other, with regards to comp,pick calculation.
I think you're partially right. This is the best explanation I've seen for comp picks: NFL Compensatory Picks Explained

From this, and other things I've seen, the amount of signed/lost players is #1, followed by where they fall on the ranking of FAs. So, for example, if we lose 2 players in FA and sign 2 within the proper period (I believe March - End of July), then we don't get any comp picks no matter of contract size.

But if we lose a huge FA and a minor FA, and sign 1 minor FA, then we'd get compensation for the huge FA.  THIS ONLY APPLIES TO SIGNING UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS, not players who are traded or cut from teams.  This might not be right, but I've seen this in many articles explaining how comp picks work. 

If we only lose Bell and Jesse James, and sign 2 UFAs, then I don't think we get any comp picks.

I haven't seen the numbers for JJ, but with the talk about him potentially getting more than expected, we could be looking at a 3rd for Bell and a 4th or 5th for JJ if we don't sign players that cancel them out. 

Why on earth would they keep him at that price, he's awful.
I am not sure I am reading this correctly but it looks like Dupree is a $9.2 million dollar cap hit even if cut.  The only way around it is to restructure or extend his contract which makes sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric Berry could be an interesting target. If we could trade something small for him (rumor is he's going to get cut) and have KC eat $10 mil of his contract ($6 mil savings for them over cutting him + dead cap), then he would be on a 3-year $33 mil contract.

He's been out the last 2 years from an achilles injury and foot injuries, so it's risky, but if he can play at 90% of what he was, he'd be an enormous upgrade in our secondary. 

I don't think the Steelers could sign him if he's cut, but we might be able to trade for him with a 6th rounder or 7th if KC was just going to cut him. 

I am not sure I am reading this correctly but it looks like Dupree is a $9.2 million dollar cap hit even if cut.  The only way around it is to restructure or extend his contract which makes sense to me.
They would have had to cut him earlier in the offseason I think, but they decided to move forward with his 5th year option. There was a time when we could cut him with $0 dead money. 

I see, thanks for clarifying. Guess it could be worse, like some of the signings I'm seeing from other teams. Yikes

I see, thanks for clarifying. Guess it could be worse, like some of the signings I'm seeing from other teams. Yikes
Dupree isn't that great but he is coming off his best season.  I know that isn't saying much but perhaps if they extend to a 3-year deal to spread out the cap hit, draft a decent DE and ease him in while keeping Dupree for depth for the next year or two, might be the way to go.

I think you're partially right. This is the best explanation I've seen for comp picks: NFL Compensatory Picks Explained

From this, and other things I've seen, the amount of signed/lost players is #1, followed by where they fall on the ranking of FAs. So, for example, if we lose 2 players in FA and sign 2 within the proper period (I believe March - End of July), then we don't get any comp picks no matter of contract size.

But if we lose a huge FA and a minor FA, and sign 1 minor FA, then we'd get compensation for the huge FA.  THIS ONLY APPLIES TO SIGNING UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS, not players who are traded or cut from teams.  This might not be right, but I've seen this in many articles explaining how comp picks work. 

If we only lose Bell and Jesse James, and sign 2 UFAs, then I don't think we get any comp picks.

I haven't seen the numbers for JJ, but with the talk about him potentially getting more than expected, we could be looking at a 3rd for Bell and a 4th or 5th for JJ if we don't sign players that cancel them out. 
I've seen that link, as well.  But this line 

The formula will occasionally award a “net value” compensatory pick for a team if that team loses and gains an equal number of CFAs, but the value of the CFAs lost is considerably greater than the value of CFAs gained. 
suggests that the player for player part isn't necessarily correct.  If the Steelers don't lose anymore FAs (two-Bell and James), and sign two (Cameron Artis-Payne and Geoff Swaim), then the players they lost are considerably greater than the ones they signed.  I think they'd get a comp pick in that case (if not one for Bell AND James).

ETA-i realize the FAs signed/lost don't have to be at the same position, I just used those two for easier comparison.

They would have had to cut him earlier in the offseason I think, but they decided to move forward with his 5th year option. There was a time when we could cut him with $0 dead money. 
They have until the new league year starts Wednesday afternoon to cut him and incur no cap charge. That's how it works with 5th year options on  player which is kind of crappy to them that teams can cut them after the initial FA flurry.

They have until the new league year starts Wednesday afternoon to cut him and incur no cap charge. That's how it works with 5th year options on  player which is kind of crappy to them that teams can cut them after the initial FA flurry.
ok thanks for the info

And because there has been no communication with Dupree, allegedly, it seems he will stay and merely play out his final year at that number. 

I think the Steelers can rescind Dupree's fifth year option up until the 2019 NFL league year begins at 4PM ET Wednesday March 13th.   If they rescind it before then Dupree becomes a UFA.   At 4PM on March 13th Dupree's $9.2M salary becomes fully guaranteed - up to time it is only guaranteed for injury.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2018-19-important-nfl-dates/

Eric Berry could be an interesting target. If we could trade something small for him (rumor is he's going to get cut) and have KC eat $10 mil of his contract ($6 mil savings for them over cutting him + dead cap), then he would be on a 3-year $33 mil contract.

He's been out the last 2 years from an achilles injury and foot injuries, so it's risky, but if he can play at 90% of what he was, he'd be an enormous upgrade in our secondary. 

I don't think the Steelers could sign him if he's cut, but we might be able to trade for him with a 6th rounder or 7th if KC was just going to cut him. 
no thanks at this point in his career

Medical care, accrued year for pension purposes for him, all in all trying to do right by him.

My question is when they say his contract tolled how much are are talking?
His 2018 salary was $790,000.   The veteran minimum salary for a 4 - 6 year vet in 2019 is $805,000.    I expect that's what his contract will toll at.  

I just saw his salary will be $473,000 - the reduction due because he in on the Reserve/PUP list.

As Colbert said, I don't expect the Steelers to make a big splash in FA.  I do think there is a pretty good batch of CBs and S out there, and I expect we will grab one of them.  (Roby, Dennard, McCourty)

Beyond that, I don't see a whole lot.

Regarding mocks that were posted, if N'Keal drops to round three I'd be ecstatic 

Yeah, the Steelers are terrible to their players:

“We will continue to support Ryan’s efforts to return to play,” said General Manager Kevin Colbert. “Although he won’t be able to help us on the field in 2019, his leadership, insight, and emotional support have always been very valuable to us, and we look forward to his contributions in our pursuit of a championship.”
Also, in case anyone forgot how great of a player he was:

Putting some numbers to what Shazier’s contribution entails in terms of production: In 41 regular season starts, Ryan Shazier had 24 tackles for loss, seven sacks, seven interceptions, 25 passes defensed, seven forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries; and in five postseason starts, he had three tackles for loss, two interceptions, four passes defensed, two forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery.

It would be a shock to see the Steelers make FA signings in the first few days of free agency.  They just don't do it and it usually works out well for them

If the Steelers rescind the tag and Dupree becomes a UFA, could we get a comp pick for him?

If so, I'd definitely do that and sign Nick Perry.  Dupree will sign elsewhere and get us another pick, since Perry wouldn't count against comp picks because he was cut. 

Sounds like LeVeon is down to the Jets and Ravens.  

I'm betting he lands at the Ravens and we get to see him twice a year.
It's possible, but at this point in his career I'm not all that worried that he'll make it to the playoffs, where games really matter. 

Rumor is the Browns are trying to trade for OBJ.

Would it be hilarious if they trade for him and immediately renegotiate his contract to be valued more than AB's?

The Steelers should go after Cory Littleton, 2nd round tender by the Rams. Send a reasonable offer, and worst comes to worst the Rams match it or he says no. He would be a huge upgrade at ILB and would be better than anyone we could draft at pick 52.  Just imagining him lined up next to 1 of the Devin's is pretty great. 

The Steelers should go after Cory Littleton, 2nd round tender by the Rams. Send a reasonable offer, and worst comes to worst the Rams match it or he says no. He would be a huge upgrade at ILB and would be better than anyone we could draft at pick 52.  Just imagining him lined up next to 1 of the Devin's is pretty great. 
YES PLEASE!!!

The Jets apparently want Leveon to decide soon if he wants their offer, and they're the only team actively pursuing him. If I was them, I'd put a rolling money clock on it. Hey Leveon, your contract starts at 4 years/$48 million with $20 million guaranteed, every 10 minutes each drops by $250k. After each hour our offer is $1.5 mil lower.

If they're really the only horse in town, just force his hand. 

If the Steelers rescind the tag and Dupree becomes a UFA, could we get a comp pick for him?

If so, I'd definitely do that and sign Nick Perry.  Dupree will sign elsewhere and get us another pick, since Perry wouldn't count against comp picks because he was cut. 

It's possible, but at this point in his career I'm not all that worried that he'll make it to the playoffs, where games really matter. 
It was a 5th year option they picked up. Can this be rescinded?

Steelers sign CB Steve Nelson 3 yrs 25.5M -- this is a very good signing.

From the USA Today -

"

Nelson is only 26 years old, he’s versatile, and he is coming off the best season of his career while heading into the prime of his career. He’s started 38 games and has 35 passes defended and four interceptions during those games. Those numbers look a lot like the numbers that Darius Slay had when he was extended by the Lions just two years ago. Nelson’s projected contract will be a similar value to Slay’s contract, give a few million dollars for cap inflation. Guaranteed money will likely be between $15 and $25 million."

More info here -

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/12/2019-chiefs-free-agency-focus-cb-steven-nelson/

Users who are viewing this thread