What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (3 Viewers)

I don't know person making this tweet I'm going to post, saw when someone I follow and do trust on twitter retweeted it so can't verify any accuracy here just passing info along:

Nick Korte‏ @nickkorte

At $8.5M APY, Steven Nelson's contract with the Steelers should be valued as a 4th rounder. Therefore, unless Le'Veon Bell signs for more than about $11M APY, then (prepare yourselves, Steelers fans), Nelson would cancel out Bell's comp pick no matter what.

What do you think the Browns would have done if OBJ said he wouldn't report to CLE?  The AB and OBJ situations are not the same.
Were other teams offering the giants anything?  You tell AB he goes to the Bills or he stays a Steeler or he needs to convince Oakland to step up. 

Were other teams offering the giants anything?  You tell AB he goes to the Bills or he stays a Steeler or he needs to convince Oakland to step up. 
Once AB said he wasn't going to the Bills THEY backed out.  We can agree to disagree but @AhrnCityPahnder summarized it best when he said something like you either trust the Steelers organization or you don't.

I agree there but, I doubt anyone else was even interested in this jerk. I was of the opinion to make his a@@ sit out if no good deal was available 

That friday deadline and caring about that roster bonus weakened the steeers position as much as or more than AB’s antics. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That friday deadline and caring about that roster bonus weakened the steeers position as much as or more than AB’s antics. 
Riiighttt.   AB's social media antics, his off the field incidents including domestic abuse allegations currently under investigation by the league, demands for a new contract with guarantees or retirement,  and the fact that he nixed a deal with the Bills were of no concerns to potential trade partners.

The Steelers were down to one team, a team with 3 first round picks, a boatload of cap space to sign any FA they wanted and that may also have been talking to the Giants for OBJ.  I am not sure why you think paying AB another $2.5 million and giving him more time to post more bizarre and damaging tweets while your one and only suitor was making other plans was going to improve the situation.

The Steelers met with AB and determined there was no way to rectify the situation.  He wasn't coming back to the Steelers.  He would have held out and spewed vitriol and how exactly would that help the team?   They were right to get as much as they could and put this saga behind them as quickly as they could.  It sucks they didn't get the same return as the Giants did but they were different situations. 

I'll take the extra picks they got to improve their draft situation, eat the dead cap space for one year and be totally done with him.

I hate to say this but the Browns have clearly surpassed us as the better team.  Now it is still the Browns and they can surely screw things up but man that defense is looking fierce and OBJ against our secondary is going to be scary

Luckily the Bengals did less than the Steelers did in free agency which is really hard to do.  And the Ravens lost some big guys and didn't get Bell.  

I hate to say this but the Browns have clearly surpassed us as the better team.  Now it is still the Browns and they can surely screw things up but man that defense is looking fierce and OBJ against our secondary is going to be scary

Luckily the Bengals did less than the Steelers did in free agency which is really hard to do.  And the Ravens lost some big guys and didn't get Bell.  
I agree that on paper they appear to be the best team in the division.   They have to prove it on the field though

So how is that comp pick looking now that Bell signed and with the Steelers signing Nelson?
I have no idea but I am ecstatic with the signing.   There is still work to be done but if the Steelers can get a quality inside linebacker in the draft the defense should be much improved.

The Browns will be better than they’ve been in quite some time, but they still need to come together as a team. Steelers can still be favored depending on draft and other moves — too bad no John Brown. Any chance of Williams or Tate? 

So how is that comp pick looking now that Bell signed and with the Steelers signing Nelson?
Leveon should be a 3rd round comp and Nelson would be a 4th, so Nelson should cancel out Jesse James, not Leveon. Leveon was signed above that $11 million line of demarcation.  It's all a crapshoot though, and if we sign anyone else, that will probably cancel out Leveon, assuming no more of our FAs are signed elsewhere.

I really hope we don't sign a FA WR, because that's essentially trading a 3rd round pick and $$ for them, and that's not worth it. Just draft 2. 

Leveon should be a 3rd round comp and Nelson would be a 4th, so Nelson should cancel out Jesse James, not Leveon. Leveon was signed above that $11 million line of demarcation.  It's all a crapshoot though, and if we sign anyone else, that will probably cancel out Leveon, assuming no more of our FAs are signed elsewhere.

I really hope we don't sign a FA WR, because that's essentially trading a 3rd round pick and $$ for them, and that's not worth it. Just draft 2. 
Man I hate these magical formulas. It would be nice to get Tyrell Williams or Randall Cobb.

Man I hate these magical formulas. It would be nice to get Tyrell Williams or Randall Cobb.
Right now in my ideal draft we get Harry, Harmon, or a Brown in the 2nd/3rd, and then dip back in later to get Hunter Renfrow. I just think that Renfrow will be the best safety blanket ever for a young QB, which we'll probably have starting in 2-3 years. 

With 4 picks in the top 90 or so this is defiantly the way to go. 

It would be nice to get Tyrell Williams or Randall Cobb.
Williams or Tate would be my choice.    Failing that maybe Chris Conley (32-334-5) over Cobb.  Not as accomplished but 3 years younger than Cobb and would be much cheaper.

Moncrief is a possibility too (48-668-3)

Williams or Tate would be my choice.    Failing that maybe Chris Conley (32-334-5) over Cobb.  Not as accomplished but 3 years younger than Cobb and would be much cheaper.

Moncrief is a possibility too (48-668-3)
Cobb is made of glass, hurt all the time. Would like Golden Tate but he will probably command more $ than they can give him.

Chris Conley BLOWS. Guy did nothing in one of the greatest seasons a QB has ever had. Ignore his measurables what has he ever done in college or the NFL?

That Chickillo contract seems high, I wonder if there was external interest that drove the price up. $4 mil per year for a backup OLB/mostly special teams guy doesn't seem like great value.

Jesse James' contract was over $7 mil per year and puts him in the top 10 TE contracts in APY, that could have netted us a 4th next year in comp pick and probably is the pick cancelled by Nelson. Right now we've only had 2 FAs signed away, so if we sign anyone else, probably no comp picks for us, which would make losing Leveon even worse. 

That Chickillo contract seems high, I wonder if there was external interest that drove the price up. $4 mil per year for a backup OLB/mostly special teams guy doesn't seem like great value.

Jesse James' contract was over $7 mil per year and puts him in the top 10 TE contracts in APY, that could have netted us a 4th next year in comp pick and probably is the pick cancelled by Nelson. Right now we've only had 2 FAs signed away, so if we sign anyone else, probably no comp picks for us, which would make losing Leveon even worse. 
The Pats reportedly were going after Chickillo.

players I am interested in (no particular order) that I think the Steelers could afford

Tre Boston

Ty Williams

Justin Houston

Dontrell Inman

Zach Brown now a free agent
He graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 3 inside linebacker out of 61 qualifiers last season, finishing behind only Luke Kuechly and Bobby Wagner.

What would it take to sign him? 3 yrs/20M?

But are we missing out on guys then?  Burnett getting cut/traded?  Bostic?
I haven't heard much about what they are planning to do with Burnett.  He is eating $3 million in cap space I believe.   Bostic actually played well last season.  He is relatively cheap too so I would like to keep him for depth.

Users who are viewing this thread