What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

Thrilled even.
None of the first 5 players will be there at these spots, IMO. Bush is projected for top 15, Winovich is projected for top to mid second, Savage is projected for mid second, Omenihu is projected for early 3rd and Boykin is projected for 3rd. Mock seems out of touch with recent rumors and values.  This would have been a great mock a month ago. 

I look back sadly at my mocks from January, when we thought we'd get at least 1 first for AB. I had us taking Devin White, TJ Hockenson, N'Keal Harry, Amani Oruwariye, and Chase Winovich with our 1, 1, 2, 3, 3 picks. They might all go in the top 40 now with White possibly in the top 5.

I never thought Devin White was in our range, even if we'd gotten an 1 for AB.  I still think there's a chance Bush gets to 20, or at least in range.  Some mocks I see have him as a top 10.  Others have him falling to us at 20.  It seems about 50/50.  

I never thought Devin White was in our range, even if we'd gotten an 1 for AB.  I still think there's a chance Bush gets to 20, or at least in range.  Some mocks I see have him as a top 10.  Others have him falling to us at 20.  It seems about 50/50.  
Basically it comes down to what the Bengals do at 11. 

Basically it comes down to what the Bengals do at 11. 
The problem is that the Raiders, Bucs, Giants, Bengals, Broncos, Browns, Lions, Packers, and Redskins could all use an upgrade at LB and either Devin would fit the bill and become their on-field general. We just have to hope that they feel they have a bigger need elsewhere. 

Leveon rap posted to twitter. He posted this with a Fire or Trashcan emoji, and apparently Keenan Allen replied, Trashcan. Leveon got all upset and was like, haters gonna hate and be trolls. And Allen was like, don't ask a question if you don't like the truth.  I know Lev's not a Steeler anymore, but thought this was pretty funny. 

The problem is that the Raiders, Bucs, Giants, Bengals, Broncos, Browns, Lions, Packers, and Redskins could all use an upgrade at LB and either Devin would fit the bill and become their on-field general. We just have to hope that they feel they have a bigger need elsewhere. 

Leveon rap posted to twitter. He posted this with a Fire or Trashcan emoji, and apparently Keenan Allen replied, Trashcan. Leveon got all upset and was like, haters gonna hate and be trolls. And Allen was like, don't ask a question if you don't like the truth.  I know Lev's not a Steeler anymore, but thought this was pretty funny. 
I saw that yesterday.  That song/video is trash and Keenan Allen replied perfectly.  

Allen is now one of my new favorite players lol.

Just wondering if Leveon or Ab see a 7 win season before their careers are over. 
Probably, but the point is well taken. The Raiders and Jets will probably be mediocre for the next 3-4 years, and that's probably as long as Bell or Brown last. I doubt either of them make it back to the playoffs unless it's on different teams. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Leveon was cut after 2 seasons because of his contract structure, all the guaranteed money is in the first 2 years. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders turn around next offseason and trade AB after he makes a fuss. They could probably trade him and recoup at least a 3rd, if not more. Right now, I think it's even money that AB plays for the Pats before he retires, it just feels like that will happen. 

Just wondering if Leveon or Ab see a 7 win season before their careers are over. 
Also wondering if the Steelers will get back to the SB before Ben's career is over.  Probably not, as they wasted last year and this coming year & he doesn't have many left.

Bayhawks said:
Also wondering if the Steelers will get back to the SB before Ben's career is over.  Probably not, as they wasted last year and this coming year & he doesn't have many left.
Wasted this coming year? Hmm, didn't realize they had already played the season out. So time travel is now possible,  go figure.

Bayhawks said:
Also, wondering if the Steelers will get back to the SB before Ben's career is over.  Probably not, as they wasted last year and this coming year & he doesn't have many left.
It's kind of harsh to judge Ben and the Steelers based purely on Super Bowl appearances during Ben's career when he had to share a conference with Peyton and Brady, 2 of the best QBs of all time. Since Big Ben was drafted the QBs who have gone to the Super Bowl from the AFC have been Big Ben (3), Flacco (1), Peyton (4), and Brady (7).

I know you're anti-Steelers for some reason, but it's a bit ignorant to say that the coming year has already been wasted. The only piece that they lost from last year was AB, they already didn't have Bell. AB is extremely talented, and it's possible that his loss will cause a huge decline in the team's success. Or, it could be like when Calvin Johnson retired, and Stafford finally threw the ball to players that were open, instead of forcing it, and the passing game improved. We'll see. 

Wasted this coming year? Hmm, didn't realize they had already played the season out. So time travel is now possible,  go figure.
So you’ve apparently decided that NYJ and Oak are destined to lose 10 games each every year until AB & Bell retire yet it’s some kind of stretch to think that the loss of 2 All-Pro players hurts Pitts chances of winning a SB. Go figure.

I know you're anti-Steelers for some reason, but it's a bit ignorant to say that the coming year has already been wasted. The only piece that they lost from last year was AB, they already didn't have Bell. AB is extremely talented, and it's possible that his loss will cause a huge decline in the team's success. Or, it could be like when Calvin Johnson retired, and Stafford finally threw the ball to players that were open, instead of forcing it, and the passing game improved. We'll see. 
It’s less ignorant than it is to to assume NYJ & OAK are doomed to lose 10+games/year every year until AB & Bell retire.

Those teams have done more to get closer to 7 wins than Pittsburgh has done to get to the SB.  That’s just a fact.  I’m sure Vegas has lines for O/U on team wins in 2019.  I’d be shocked if Pitt’s odds of winning the SB aren’t worse than either of NYJ or OAK getting 7 wins.

My post wasn’t a knock on Ben; winning 2 SBs with the QBs he had to compete with is impressive.  My post was a response to a post that suggests because AB and Bell left Pitt, they are automatically worse off.  Both of those teams could be better in 2/3 years than Pitt.  

steelers1080 said:
Probably, but the point is well taken. The Raiders and Jets will probably be mediocre for the next 3-4 years, and that's probably as long as Bell or Brown last. I doubt either of them make it back to the playoffs unless it's on different teams. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Leveon was cut after 2 seasons because of his contract structure, all the guaranteed money is in the first 2 years. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders turn around next offseason and trade AB after he makes a fuss. They could probably trade him and recoup at least a 3rd, if not more. Right now, I think it's even money that AB plays for the Pats before he retires, it just feels like that will happen. 
If you believe Darnold could be a potential franchise QB, then I don't see why they can't become a contender in the next 3-4 years.  Brady will be gone soon enough (yes it will happen) and the Jets are in a position to build a very strong team with a franchise QB in what should be a very weak division.  

If you don't believe in Darnold being that guy, then yes they will be mediocre for the next 3-4 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s less ignorant than it is to to assume NYJ & OAK are doomed to lose 10+games/year every year until AB & Bell retire.

Those teams have done more to get closer to 7 wins than Pittsburgh has done to get to the SB.  That’s just a fact.  I’m sure Vegas has lines for O/U on team wins in 2019.  I’d be shocked if Pitt’s odds of winning the SB aren’t worse than either of NYJ or OAK getting 7 wins.

My post wasn’t a knock on Ben; winning 2 SBs with the QBs he had to compete with is impressive.  My post was a response to a post that suggests because AB and Bell left Pitt, they are automatically worse off.  Both of those teams could be better in 2/3 years than Pitt.  
I guess it depends on what you mean by wasted. I assumed you meant that their year will automatically be trash, but I think the Steelers have a decent chance of making the playoffs, which isn't a waste.

I don't think NYJ and OAK are surefire doomed to not make the playoffs the next 3-4 years, but I don't think Oakland has a great shot of overtaking the Chargers or Chiefs in the next 3-4 years, and I think that Brady lasts 3 more years, so the Jets don't have a great shot. The NFL changes drastically every year, so I could definitely be wrong, but I think over the next 3 years, the Steelers are more successful than the Jets or Raiders. After Ben retires, it's a crapshoot and that remains to be seen 100%, the Steelers could be a bottom 5 team after he leaves, who knows.

The major contenders from last season all got worse this offseason, the Pats, Rams, and Chiefs all lost major pieces on offense and defense. The goal is that underrated signings step up and that the draft helps to fill needs. The Steelers had a great offense last year and a super crappy defense (sack numbers were deceiving). They got a mediocre WR to fill a gap in depth (not to replace AB) and they got a new CB and ILB, two places where they needed help. Those signings might not work out, but they made moves in FA which they don't normally do, to try and improve. The Steelers had WAYYYY less cap space than the Jets and even the Raiders, so expecting them to make splash signings like Mosely or Trent Brown/Tyrell Williams (all 3 overpaid) is unreasonable. 

I think that the Jets and Oakland win 7 games with Bell/AB on their rosters, possibly even this year, but the point of them going to much worse teams I think is valid. 

I guess it depends on what you mean by wasted. I assumed you meant that their year will automatically be trash, but I think the Steelers have a decent chance of making the playoffs, which isn't a waste.

I don't think NYJ and OAK are surefire doomed to not make the playoffs the next 3-4 years, but I don't think Oakland has a great shot of overtaking the Chargers or Chiefs in the next 3-4 years, and I think that Brady lasts 3 more years, so the Jets don't have a great shot. The NFL changes drastically every year, so I could definitely be wrong, but I think over the next 3 years, the Steelers are more successful than the Jets or Raiders. After Ben retires, it's a crapshoot and that remains to be seen 100%, the Steelers could be a bottom 5 team after he leaves, who knows.

The major contenders from last season all got worse this offseason, the Pats, Rams, and Chiefs all lost major pieces on offense and defense. The goal is that underrated signings step up and that the draft helps to fill needs. The Steelers had a great offense last year and a super crappy defense (sack numbers were deceiving). They got a mediocre WR to fill a gap in depth (not to replace AB) and they got a new CB and ILB, two places where they needed help. Those signings might not work out, but they made moves in FA which they don't normally do, to try and improve. The Steelers had WAYYYY less cap space than the Jets and even the Raiders, so expecting them to make splash signings like Mosely or Trent Brown/Tyrell Williams (all 3 overpaid) is unreasonable. 

I think that the Jets and Oakland win 7 games with Bell/AB on their rosters, possibly even this year, but the point of them going to much worse teams I think is valid. 
1st-the original post was a bit tongue-in-cheek, as a response to guys like Irish Eyes who are crapping all over AB/Bell because they dared to leave his beloved Steelers, as if the team could do no wrong.  

2nd-as you said, the NFL changes drastically every year.  That's why it's "ignorant" for those posters to assume that because Oak and NYJ were bad before, they'll continue to be bad (while ignoring the fact that the Steelers were bad in 2018, and automatically assuming they'll be good again in 2019).  As a response to those "ignorant" posts about how OAK and NYJ were going to suck for the foreseeable future, I made my "ignorant" post about how the Steelers wasted last year and this upcoming year.

3rd-with regards to the bolded; when I said "wasted," I meant with regards to winning a SB.  For teams like the Jets, Raiders, or Browns, getting into the playoffs is a good year.  For a team like the Steelers, with a HOF QB, it's not.  The goal is the SB.  You'd have to be naive to argue that Pittsburgh wouldn't have had a better shot at winning the SB in 2018 if they'd had Bell (especially since they "paid" for him anyway by reserving $14.5M of their cap for him), and you'd have to be naive to think that they have a better shot at the SB in 2019 without Brown than they would have had with Brown.  Ben only has a few years left; removing two All-Pro players from his offense makes it harder for the team to capitalize on his talents & win another SB.  It's silly to argue against that point, IMO.

Why are we discussing the Jets and Raiders in this thread?  Also, AB and Bell are gone - lets focus on who is currently on the team.

3rd-with regards to the bolded; when I said "wasted," I meant with regards to winning a SB.  For teams like the Jets, Raiders, or Browns, getting into the playoffs is a good year.  For a team like the Steelers, with a HOF QB, it's not.  The goal is the SB.  You'd have to be naive to argue that Pittsburgh wouldn't have had a better shot at winning the SB in 2018 if they'd had Bell (especially since they "paid" for him anyway by reserving $14.5M of their cap for him), and you'd have to be naive to think that they have a better shot at the SB in 2019 without Brown than they would have had with Brown.  Ben only has a few years left; removing two All-Pro players from his offense makes it harder for the team to capitalize on his talents & win another SB.  It's silly to argue against that point, IMO.
No one wants to argue with you.  You've made your point that you think the Steelers have no shot in 2019. 

Excuse the rest of us for wanting to see how the draft goes, see how well the new FAs work out and the season to start before we call it a wasted year.   

No one wants to argue with you.  You've made your point that you think the Steelers have no shot in 2019. 

Excuse the rest of us for wanting to see how the draft goes, see how well the new FAs work out and the season to start before we call it a wasted year.   
Cool.  And I assume it's OK for everyone else to see how the off-season works out for the Jets & Raiders before we say definitively that they will lose 10+ games/year for the foreseeable future?  Because that's what started this entire tangent of the thread.  Someone gloating about how screwed Bell and AB were for going to teams that had no chance of winning even 7 games.  They asserted that those teams had no shot in 2019 (and beyond) without seeing how things played out.  I assume you are equally offended by those posts?

As a Jets fan, I was massively offended somebody said our crappy team that just signed a rumored-to-be fat, thirteen million dollar running back, was crappy.

They asserted that those teams had no shot in 2019 (and beyond) without seeing how things played out.  I assume you are equally offended by those posts?
Who cares?  It was a throw away line from a frustrated Steeler fan in the Steeler thread - not a challenge for you to refute the claim or once again take shots at the Steelers.  Troll somewhere else.

Cool.  And I assume it's OK for everyone else to see how the off-season works out for the Jets & Raiders before we say definitively that they will lose 10+ games/year for the foreseeable future?  Because that's what started this entire tangent of the thread.  Someone gloating about how screwed Bell and AB were for going to teams that had no chance of winning even 7 games.  They asserted that those teams had no shot in 2019 (and beyond) without seeing how things played out.  I assume you are equally offended by those posts?

As this is the Steelers thread, I would assume he cares mostly about the Steelers here.

I think you've made your feelings pretty clear. Let's move on and keep it 100% football. Not so much on who's offended.  And also, please let's discuss football by stating what you think and why you think it. That's usually not offensive. Thanks.

As this is the Steelers thread, I would assume he cares mostly about the Steelers here.

I think you've made your feelings pretty clear. Let's move on and keep it 100% football. Not so much on who's offended.  And also, please let's discuss football by stating what you think and why you think it. That's usually not offensive. Thanks.
Sure, but if possible, (and it can be done via PM, if you'd prefer), I'd like to know what I posted that was offensive.  I got a timeout once before that I didn't understand, and I tried to get some clarification as to what I posted that warranted it, but never got any explanation.   Thanks.

I'm worried we're going to take Chase Winovich in the first round... Tomlin took him out to dinner, and we usually do that with our First Round picks. It's a reach, and I don't think he's close to worth pick 20, maybe pick 40. 

I'm worried we're going to take Chase Winovich in the first round... Tomlin took him out to dinner, and we usually do that with our First Round picks. It's a reach, and I don't think he's close to worth pick 20, maybe pick 40. 
Edmunds all over again? Colbert isn't afraid to reach.

I wouldn't read too much into the dinner.  He is a local guy.  I am sure they are interested in Chase but not at #20.    I could see him at #52 though.

I wouldn't read too much into the dinner.  He is a local guy.  I am sure they are interested in Chase but not at #20.    I could see him at #52 though.
I would be ok with him at 52, and happy with him at 66. He has flown up analyst big boards, but he's not as athletic as other prospects, and I'm not sure he has the upside that many other players do. I'd rather take Savage at 52, but he's moving up too. 

I saw a mock yesterday where the Ravens traded up to 18 to take Devin Bush. If that happens, I'm gonna lose it. 

The top 3 CBs are growing on me, but I still think there will be great value somewhere else if we let players fall to us. 

I would be ok with him at 52, and happy with him at 66. He has flown up analyst big boards, but he's not as athletic as other prospects, and I'm not sure he has the upside that many other players do. I'd rather take Savage at 52, but he's moving up too. 

I saw a mock yesterday where the Ravens traded up to 18 to take Devin Bush. If that happens, I'm gonna lose it. 

The top 3 CBs are growing on me, but I still think there will be great value somewhere else if we let players fall to us. 
Yeah I would like to see them move up to get one of the Devin's but I think the cost is way too high.  Better to left the draft play out and if Bush starts to drop maybe make a deal to move up a few spots if the cost isn't so high or stand pat and just take what comes to them.

steelers1080 said:
I like Chase a lot.  He'd be a better reach than Terrell Edmunds. 

Devin White isn't going to be their, 'possibly' Bush will. 

I think it makes a lot of sense to move-up for Bush but other than Big Ben I can't recall Pittsburgh moving up.

Brian Burns
I second Burns. Put him across from TJ and try and trade Dupree on draft day for a 4th/5th. Frees up cap space and gets us another pick. Go into the Season with TJ, Burns, Ola, Chickillo. 

I think it makes a lot of sense to move-up for Bush but other than Big Ben I can't recall Pittsburgh moving up.
Traded up for Polamalu and Santonio Holmes, they didn't trade up for Big Ben, they took him with their 11th pick. 

I've started seeing more mocks recently with Bush lasting into the range of 16-20 with him often going to the Steelers. I think the only way this happens is if there is a lot of movement/QBs taken at the top of the 1st. And if the Steelers move up 1-4 picks. I don't think there's any chance he lasts til 20 because I think teams behind us would try to jump ahead. 

Steelers can trade the 3rd rd pick from Oakland to move up about 5 spots, thats the worth of that pick.  

If Bush is there, and if they like him a lot, they should do it.  They might not like him, he may be stupid, IDK.

If they dont, then I assume they want a CB or maybe TE or WR.  At that point(if they like 3-5 different guys) trade down, acquire another 3rd.

I've always felt the 1-3 rds are where you find stars.  The later rounds are mostly depth, and once and I a while you hit a home run, AB, Kiesel, you know the names.
They could use a RB, always need OL and DL, and a safety who can tackle, and catch.

Get as many picks in top 100 as possible.  This team needs new blood.  

Users who are viewing this thread