What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (3 Viewers)

Reports from Training Camp are all glowing, but it seems like the Steelers have better-than-expected depth at WR - Smith-Schuster unsurprisingly has had a nice camp but there have been good notes on Moncrief, Diontae Johnson, James Washington and Diontae Spencer - even Eli Rogers has gotten good pub recently, and Switzer too before he got injured.

I wonder if Spencer/Rogers/Switzer get traded/released.

I think they keep 6 WRs with both Switzer and Rogers, hoping to sneak Spenser onto the PS.

Holton's injury hurt his chances.  He brings something different to the table than Switzer or Rogers, but hasn't had a chance to show it.

Justin Layne looked bad on that first drive.  Bush looked good but not dominant - yes, high expectations for the first drive of the first preseason game 🙂 

Yeah, he doesn't look that good tonight.
He seems to have good vision. His athleticism is about nill. He’s the film grinders error. They see him doing the right things and then blowing up DB’s half his size but don’t realize he’s replacement level at best. 

Samuels looks >>>> better than Snell. I hope this isn’t their plan with a Conner injury. Samuels is very good. 

I know the “ploy to motivate joke” has been around here forever but I wonder if the early camp Moncrief and Johnson news aren’t to keep Washington hungry. He looks like the real deal tonight.

Man I hope this is mostly a 2nd string line because they are going to leave Ben in the hospital at week 2.  Some of these guys are barely touching  Tampa's rush

So far James Washington has been the only positive tonight.  Bush was okay but hopefully that drop wasn't a sign of things

Well Boswell is looking really good which given how much he sucked last year is good.   Hopefully that happens a month from now

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I hope this is mostly a 2nd string line because they are going to leave Ben in the hospital at week 2.  Some of these guys are barely touching  Tampa's rush
I'm pretty sure there were zero starters on the oline tonight (only exception might have been M. Fieler at RT).  There are concerns for the Steelers this year but the oline is not one of them.

OLB Ola Adeniyi underwent surgery today for undisclosed reasons.   He wasn't mentioned in Tomlin's injury rundown so it sounds like something that popped up unexpectedly.    

Perhaps maybe an appendectomy?   Just guessing...

Samuels is going to play a big role as that H-back. Basically will be TE2 and be able to motion into pass-run positions. Adds a layer of unpredictability. 

Gilbert needs to make the team. 

Do you cut Eli or Switz to keep Horton or Spencer?

This team wins AFC NORTH. 

If Ben pulls his holy than thou #### on Washington this year I will not be a happy camper. He’s looked amazing this preseason.

If Ben pulls his holy than thou #### on Washington this year I will not be a happy camper. He’s looked amazing this preseason.
Maybe Ben's intervention last year is WHY Washington looks amazing this preseason. Washington has basically said that.

Maybe Ben's intervention last year is WHY Washington looks amazing this preseason. Washington has basically said that.
Maybe. I don’t trust what is going on right now. He played one snap with the one’s last night. Both the last two weeks, nothing has taken place until Washington gets on the field. Moncrief will do Moncrief things which is to get hurt and disappear when given ample snaps. You invested a 2nd in Washington, get him running with the one’s. Moncrief won’t be there in ‘20 no matter whether he is great or awful this year.

Maybe. I don’t trust what is going on right now. He played one snap with the one’s last night. Both the last two weeks, nothing has taken place until Washington gets on the field. Moncrief will do Moncrief things which is to get hurt and disappear when given ample snaps. You invested a 2nd in Washington, get him running with the one’s. Moncrief won’t be there in ‘20 no matter whether he is great or awful this year.
As long as Ben is wearing a ball cap, nobody is playing with the ones. 

Some positives from the game on Saturday and a few negatives.   I thought Dupree and Watt were standouts on defense and Burns looked pretty good too although he may have been partially responsible for the TD.  It was not clear to me whose fault that was.

We look very deep at WR.   I think the #6 spot comes down to Eli, Holton and Spencer and I think Holton's special teams play wins him the job.

I think we're solid at RB.   Conner looks like he ready and Samuels looks incredibly fast. I would like to see him getting 25% of the snaps to take some of the workload off Connor.  Snell still is a little underwhelming to me but he played better this week and made an outstanding play on special teams.   

Negatives:   

Okorafor is not having a very good preseason.  He's had a couple holding calls and seems to be struggling in both the run blocking and pass protection.  Maybe the biggest disappointment so far.  Dobbs has looked decent but he needs to throw for a TD.

Speaking of TDs, if this preseason game was any indication I still don't think the NFL has figured out what is and what is not a catch.  Also that offensive pass interference was ridiculous.   I think we're in for a long season of complaining about the refs.

While I'm sure most of the current players are glad to see the two Divas gone, I'm guessing Ben is the one who feels the biggest weight lifted off his shoulders.  Can't wait to see what he can do this year with more freedom to throw to the open guy and not spoon-feed babies. If the O-Line (and Vance) can stay reasonably healthy this year, I think Ben and this offense are going to surprise a lot of the fantasy naysayers.

And with more personnel improvements to the DEF, we have a chance to field a much better team this year.  Which is going to be necessary to compete in the AFC North (arguably the most competitive division in the league this year). It will be exciting to see if they can put it all together.   

You hate Landry Jones?

You know you just took his doppelganger in Mason Rudolph. 

I wouldnt say that. There are similarities in that both guys were accurate in a spread offense against suspect Big 12 defenses and we don't yet know how his skills will translate to the NFL. But those are the kinds of guys you can draft in the mid rounds and see what pans out. Or, you know, at #1 overall. 

Copying this over from the 2017 thread.. 

I don't want Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson.  Either of them could be a Pro Bowler or could be out of the league in 2 years.  They just don't have the prototype characteristics of an NFL QB.  Sure, Mayfield could become Russell Wilson and Jackson could become Randall Cunningham, but I think there's a better chance that they become Johnny Manziel and RG3.  Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, and Josh Rosen will all be gone long before 28.  That leaves only one possibility that I find intriguing.

Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State.  There are those that believe he will be the most reliable starting QB in this draft.  Others dislike him.  However, most of the knocks I've seen on him revolve around the fact that he plays in a spread offense.  That's problematic because we have very little to go by when trying to project him to a pro-style offense.  However, there are clear-cut positives working for him.  1 - He has a big arm.  Not Josh Allen big, but he has enough arm strength to make every throw in the NFL, including the 9 route. 2 - He's accurate.  Yes, the spread gives him a lot of open receivers to throw to, but I've also seen him throw receivers open against tight coverage on occasion.  The tool is there.  3 - He doesn't turn the ball over a lot.  He seems to go through his reads well and doesn't force things. 4 - He has above-average feet.  No one is going to mistake him for Michael Vick, and Jackson is going to get all the hubbub over the 40 time he will (likely) run, but Rudolph has above average athleticism and can make a play with his feet when needed, a la Bortles. 5 - He's poised in the pocket.  When pressure comes, he steps up rather than bailing out and sprinting left or right.

Bottom line, as with almost any rookie QB, there's bust risk there.  However, I don't see any red flags on tape that would scream "flop" at me.  In fact, I see a lot of tools that could translate to the pro level.  The combine may flesh some things out, but he looks every bit of 6' 5" and about 225 to me, so unless he has Trump hands, position drills and taking snaps from under center are going to be the big things NFL teams want to see.  My concern is he'll do better than expected in this arena and launch himself into early-mid 1st round discussion.  We'll see.  The good news (for us picking #28, if they decide to draft a QB) is that he likely will need a year or two to get acclimated to an NFL offensive scheme and get a lot of reps under center before teams are willing to throw him out there.  Unlike most teams looking for a QB in the first, we have that time to wait on him if they think he's a potential franchise QB going forward.  Those are hard to get after the first 10-12 picks, it's an Easter egg hunt if you're hoping to find a Brady in the late rounds.
Was never sold on Rudolph.

Rudolph has definitely not been the answer this year. Likely never. Let's hope the Duck is at least serviceable.
Agreed but I am worried about that line.    They simply have to start playing better.   It also would help to have a healthy JuJu and James Conner.  I did like what I saw from Kerrith Whyte though.  Snell was okay too, nothing special but an improvement over Samuels

Users who are viewing this thread