What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Royce Freeman, LAR (1 Viewer)

Snorkelson

Footballguy
Couldn’t find a thread on royce.

5’11” 231 lbs (also seeing 238)

powerful, one cut style, drags defenders with him, very solid consistent production in college. Can’t be arm tackled, makes safeties pay if he gets to the 2nd level. Shows a little wiggle to elude in the open field. Gets skinny in the hole. Anticipates contact and adjusts body to absorb hits.

seems to lack long speed. Looks upright when he runs (until he hits someone). Option offense created space with misdirection not used in the nfl. Didn’t see much action in the pass game, but isn’t quite an afterthought either. No idea if he can block.

Any thoughts on Royce? I like him, and I think he could either carve out a role as a 2 down banger. He also could possibly be someone who loses some weight and gains some speed/explosiveness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Royce freeman senior highlights

Displays patience and makes subtle cuts to set up blocks nicely 

shows some pass catching ability in these highlights. I’m impressed- poor mans fournette. Hope he can get closer to 4.5 than 4.6 at the combine. Sub 4.5 at 238 and I’m moving him up. 

NFL.com Draft Analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes that Oregon senior RB Royce Freeman compares to former Oklahoma and current NFL RB Semaje Perine.

Jeremiah notes that Freeman (6'0/229) runs with outstanding leverage and power, but can also make defenders miss. "He reminds me a little bit of Samaje Perine, a fourth-round pick out of Oklahoma in the 2017 draft. I could see Freeman fitting into that Rounds 3-4 range in the 2018 draft," Jeremiah said. The Ducks and their star running back will take on Utah this Saturday.

Source: NFL.com

Fri, Oct 27, 2017 09:40:00 PM

Can't say that the comparison to Perine and his 3.4 YPC and 1 rushing TD gets me fired up... 

I am pretty low on him, but that could just be due to him running shotgun a lot where I couldn't get a good feel for how good he actually is.  So mostly I went with the traits I saw of his games, and those were not too inspiring.  He's a hard one for me to peg.  

I am pretty low on him, but that could just be due to him running shotgun a lot where I couldn't get a good feel for how good he actually is.  So mostly I went with the traits I saw of his games, and those were not too inspiring.  He's a hard one for me to peg.  
Yeah there are some incompletes in his draft grade imo. Scheme opened a lot of space to run in, but he sees the lanes clearly and gets to the hole quickly. What would he do in I form with a fullback to follow? It’s not the same as running option out of the shotgun/ spread 

Week 2 Risers & Sliders

Excerpt:

Royce Freeman/RB/Oregon: The Nebraska defensive line was expected to be one of the strengths of the team's defense, yet Freeman mercilessly shredded them. The senior pounded the Blackshirts for 153 yards on 29 carries (5.3 yard average), punching the ball into the end zone twice. And while Freeman still shows himself to be a one-dimensional interior back, watching him against Nebraska makes me believe Freeman could play in a zone-running scheme.

Week 2 Risers & Sliders

Excerpt:The Nebraska defensive line was expected to be one of the strengths of the team's defense, yet Freeman mercilessly shredded them. The senior pounded the Blackshirts for 153 yards on 29 carries (5.3 yard average), punching the ball into the end zone twice. 
:lol:

Iowa torched NE for 313 yds on the ground on Thanksgiving.  The D line was young, shallow, and lacked any playmakers.  I’d seriously question this guy’s credibility.

Just a bit better...although the comp of Bell to Blount should be grounds for dismissal...
Revisionist history...almost no one on this board or the draft pundits liked leveon coming out of college

Freemans hype was nonexistant this year ...seems there was more buzz last year

Revisionist history...almost no one on this board or the draft pundits liked leveon coming out of college

It is not that Bell blew up it is that his style of play could not be more different than Blount's...

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Yes- very similar to freeman. Both are big nimble backs with big workloads. It’s a moot point anyway- obviously the player comp to Blount didn’t pan out for Bell, because it doesn’t mean anything. They’re the same size and run people over. Therefore, he’s like so and so. Pointless comparison. 

I don’t get too caught up in player comps- each person is different, different work ethics, different mental capacity to learn, different supporting casts. 
Too true

But hearing his description reminds me too much of TJ Duckett. 

Bronco Billy said:
:lol:

Iowa torched NE for 313 yds on the ground on Thanksgiving.  The D line was young, shallow, and lacked any playmakers.  I’d seriously question this guy’s credibility.
That Iowa rushing attack was led by one of my preferred later round picks. I'll take Wadley over Freeman.

Boston said:
It is not that Bell blew up it is that his style of play could not be more different than Blount's...
Revisionist history.  In college he didn't display that type of running style.  He was much more straight power with some cutting in there.  He lost 20 pounds and significantly changed his running style after entering the NFL.

Revisionist history.  In college he didn't display that type of running style.  He was much more straight power with some cutting in there.  He lost 20 pounds and significantly changed his running style after entering the NFL.
Bell had 32 and 35 receptions his last two years in college...Blount had 4 for 15 yards in his whole college career (16 games total)...no one saw Bell turning out to be the reception monster he became but he did show signs he would be involved...Blount has never showed that part of his game...

Just a bit better...although the comp of Bell to Blount should be grounds for dismissal...
In college they tried to use Bell more like Blount although Bell still showed he is more of a weaver than a hammer. It was something that people criticized about him as a RB prospect. That Bell played like a smaller RB.

Well Bell lost about 10 lbs in his second season with the Steelers guidance and turned into a quicker more elusive player that was always there with him, but he was being coached to be something else, more like Blount in college.

Too true

But hearing his description reminds me too much of TJ Duckett. 

That Iowa rushing attack was led by one of my preferred later round picks. I'll take Wadley over Freeman.
I watched that clip of him you posted and I was pretty impressed.

Two runs stood out to me as being similar to one of Dalvin Cooks better plays with FSU. One by Barkley and another by Wadley.

Interested to watch him some more.

I’ve watched game cuts from the top 7 or sp RBs and after Barkley, who I have in his own tier, I like Freeman best. I don’t see anything special with Guice but I love what I’ve seen with Freeman. It’s just hard to know for sure since he ran from shotgun most of the time. 

Rhythmdoctor said:
I’ve watched game cuts from the top 7 or sp RBs and after Barkley, who I have in his own tier, I like Freeman best. I don’t see anything special with Guice but I love what I’ve seen with Freeman. It’s just hard to know for sure since he ran from shotgun most of the time. 
What traits of Freeman stand out to you?

What makes him better than the other RB besides Barkley from 2017?

What traits of Freeman stand out to you?

What makes him better than the other RB besides Barkley from 2017?
Freeman runs with good-to-great power, patience and vision.  He's quick on his feet for a big guy.  He looks quicker than Fournette, maybe not as fast.  It's hard to gauge his speed but I think he's fast enough for the NFL.  

I did go back and re-watch Guice and came away a little more impressed.  Guise has impressive power for his size and he looks quick but I watched 4 game cuts and didn't really see a lot of speed or quickness.  I saw flashes but there just weren't enough of those plays.  Maybe I watched the wrong games?  I'd still rate Freeman higher based solely on the games I watched, which was 4 from each.

Freeman runs with good-to-great power, patience and vision.  He's quick on his feet for a big guy.  He looks quicker than Fournette, maybe not as fast.  It's hard to gauge his speed but I think he's fast enough for the NFL.  

I did go back and re-watch Guice and came away a little more impressed.  Guise has impressive power for his size and he looks quick but I watched 4 game cuts and didn't really see a lot of speed or quickness.  I saw flashes but there just weren't enough of those plays.  Maybe I watched the wrong games?  I'd still rate Freeman higher based solely on the games I watched, which was 4 from each.
I like Freeman a lot and at one point he was considered a top RB prospect. If he has a good combine and lands in the right spot, I will be eyeing him mid to late first

I’m glad to see some support for rolls Royce. I liked what I saw and was surprised that most of the early comments were “meh.” I still have him behind guys like penny, Michel, chubb, and rojo, but he could move up. I’ll be looking for a 40 in the 4.5s, and hopefully weighs in closer to 230 than 240. Add in a nice landing spot and you might get a steal around the turn. 

The fact that the NFL is looking at this guy in the 4th/5th should make everyone slow their roll.  Backs that do what he's done and can play in the passing game at that size are typically valued more highly.  Something doesn't add up.

The fact that the NFL is looking at this guy in the 4th/5th should make everyone slow their roll.  Backs that do what he's done and can play in the passing game at that size are typically valued more highly.  Something doesn't add up.
You're kind of right but this is the same league that let Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara get to the third, Devonta Freeman the fourth, and Arian Foster go infrared.

Yeah but I don’t know where those reports are coming from. They may be true or not. If/when he actually gets drafted that late then we can reevaluate. 

I suppose part of this would be the depth of talent in this draft. If you rank some of the other prospects above him then there are only so many landing spots. If he gets drafted after the 4th I may change my tune but for now he’s on the radar. Could easily go either way after the combine. 

Went back and watched some tj duckett tape and don’t find them similar at all. Well, they both are big. Next up will be a Brandon Jacobs comp. 

I have watched 7 games of Guice so far and I do not really disagree with your point about the speed and quickness with him being infrequent.

I have heard the reasoning being that he was injured in 2017. Four of the games I watched were 2017 games and while he demonstrates good power and pad level pretty consistently, I would agree that the speed. Best game I have graded for Guice so far for Guice was against BYU in 2017. The game where he shows the most speed so far was against Southern Mississippi in 2016 where speed shows up 6 different plays from that game.

I still have 3 games left to go maybe 4 because one of the clips I watched was only one minute long, like 5-6 plays only.

Not sure what I will see when I watch Freeman. I have only seen him briefly before. I have a bad impression of Freeman from last year when I tried to watch one of his games live but he had been benched for fumbling by the time I turned it on. Need to set that aside when I watch him.

I have watched 7 games of Guice so far and I do not really disagree with your point about the speed and quickness with him being infrequent.

I have heard the reasoning being that he was injured in 2017. Four of the games I watched were 2017 games and while he demonstrates good power and pad level pretty consistently, I would agree that the speed. Best game I have graded for Guice so far for Guice was against BYU in 2017. The game where he shows the most speed so far was against Southern Mississippi in 2016 where speed shows up 6 different plays from that game.

I still have 3 games left to go maybe 4 because one of the clips I watched was only one minute long, like 5-6 plays only.

Not sure what I will see when I watch Freeman. I have only seen him briefly before. I have a bad impression of Freeman from last year when I tried to watch one of his games live but he had been benched for fumbling by the time I turned it on. Need to set that aside when I watch him.
I’ve only watched games from 2017 but also agree the BYU game was the best showing for Guice. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you watch Freeman. Let me know when you do!

I’ve only watched games from 2017 but also agree the BYU game was the best showing for Guice. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you watch Freeman. Let me know when you do!
I was reading someones comments about Guice being to ignore the 2017 because he was playing hurt and to focus on games prior to that. Of course in 2016 Fournette is getting the ball more than Guice, so that changes the dynamic, the defense has been softened up a bit without Guice needing to do it. The most recent games the most relevant. There may be a point to this however.

I still haven't seen a game that graded out better than the BYU game for Guice though. While Guice shows more speed in the Missouri game, overall that game did not grade out as high as the BYU game, which is from 2017.

Its likely good advice and something to keep in mind in regards to Guices 2017. It also may be too much forceful ignorance to not consider the 2017 games.

Can’t seem to find any stats regarding fumbles in college- was this an issue for him?

I like Freeman I don’t care what he does at the Combine I’ve seen enough to like him. What I really want to see is him at around 210-220 instead of 240lbs. I felt the same way about Le’Veon Bell coming out of college and he is 2 inches taller at the same weight. Bell trimmed down before the NFL draft then worked on his speed and quickness and the rest is history. I think Freeman is a different runner but could have a similar impact if he trimmed down.

Tex

I like Freeman I don’t care what he does at the Combine I’ve seen enough to like him. What I really want to see is him at around 210-220 instead of 240lbs. I felt the same way about Le’Veon Bell coming out of college and he is 2 inches taller at the same weight. Bell trimmed down before the NFL draft then worked on his speed and quickness and the rest is history. I think Freeman is a different runner but could have a similar impact if he trimmed down.

Tex
Great point about Freeman's weight

Snorkelson said:
Can’t seem to find any stats regarding fumbles in college- was this an issue for him?
Maybe it was just a one time thing I don't know.

Just know it was disappointing he wasn't playing for the live game I tried to watch and the announcers said it was because of a fumble(s?). He did come in again later on in the game but only had a couple carries. The Ducks were being blown out in that game from early on, so they were in catch up mode by the time I started watching.

Users who are viewing this thread