What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Kalen Ballage, RB Arizona State (1 Viewer)

I don't think Drake was ever going to have the backfield to himself, he seems destined for a time share situation regardless. I do think Drake has a good shot at taking the lions share of the touches with the current crop of RBs on the team, though. Gore is winding down and Ballage doesn't look (to me at least) like he's nearly as good as Drake. If you have Drake (I own 1 share) I would think you'd be cautiously optimistic with the results so far. 
Could not agree more...it could be 100 times worse...they added an aging Frank Gore and a project type of fourth rounder in Ballage...any Drake owner disappointed in that is not being realistic...IMO Miami’s current depth chart is nothing but an endorsement for Drake...

Could not agree more...it could be 100 times worse...they added an aging Frank Gore and a project type of fourth rounder in Ballage...any Drake owner disappointed in that is not being realistic...IMO Miami’s current depth chart is nothing but an endorsement for Drake...
I don't see how taking a RB with Ballage's athleticism could be an endorsement for Drake. It's a risk for sure and I would not be surprised if Ballage winds up the bell cow in that offense within a year.

I don't see how taking a RB with Ballage's athleticism could be an endorsement for Drake. It's a risk for sure and I would not be surprised if Ballage winds up the bell cow in that offense within a year.
Very easily...he is a 4th round pick that is seen as a project...if Miami was really concerned about Drake they would have added more than an aging vet and a mid-round rookie...that doesn't mean Ballage can't figure things out at the NFL but the assets Miami invested in at that position say they are going to give Drake an opportunity this year... 

Couldn't have asked for a better spot for Ballage, and apparently, our RB coach has been hot on Ballage for awhile and was the guy pushing for him. I still think Drake is the favorite to lead the backfield, but Miami has had success with mid-round RBs over the past several years (Miller, Ajayi, Drake, even grabbing Darkwa and Damien Williams as UDFAs). 

Knile Davis -- 227 lbs, 4.37 forty time, 33.5" vert, 121" broad, 6.96 3-cone, 4.38 20 yd shuttle

K. Ballage -- 228 lbs, 4.46 forty time, 33.5" vert, 122" broad, 6.91 3-cone, 4.35 20 yd shuttle
And Davis was actually productive in college with those metrics.

Very easily...he is a 4th round pick that is seen as a project...if Miami was really concerned about Drake they would have added more than an aging vet and a mid-round rookie...that doesn't mean Ballage can't figure things out at the NFL but the assets Miami invested in at that position say they are going to give Drake an opportunity this year... 
4th round pick in a deep RB class. He might not de-thrown Drake as Miami's lead back but to not be at all concerned about that seems too cavalier.  

4th round pick in a deep RB class. He might not de-thrown Drake as Miami's lead back but to not be at all concerned about that seems too cavalier.  
I said it could be a lot worse...that is not cavalier...if Ballage turns into a Kareem Hunt level player Drake owners can worry but that is an awfully big leap from what he has shown to date...bottom line is Miami had to add bodies...that was a definite...if they added a McKinnon in free agency or a Guice in the draft I would be far more concerned...that would not be seen as an endorsement of Drake...

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a deep class, but teams sure seemed determined to make sure they got one of the true talents with 7 gone by the end of Round 2. I was able to draft Ballage at 2.12 in the only league I had Drake, but I was not all that concerned about getting him. At that point in the draft the pool is pretty shallow so it made sense to grab him just in case, but I fully expect Drake to see the bulk of the workload still. I think Ballage may even end up stuck behind Gore for 2018.

I like ballage but also own a couple shares of drake. It's a good spot for him since he does have the chance to possibly be a bell cow but I'm not that worried as a drake owner that he will. Drake will have to play bad for ballage to really give him a shot and at that point we wouldn't expect much from drake anyway.

As a Ballage dynasty owner, this is not exactly what I wanted to hear (although it is not that much different than was said by draft scouts before the draft).

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva 38m38 minutes ago

#Dolphins RBs coach Eric Studesville indicated he sees 4th-Round pick Kalen Ballage as a work in progress: "We're at the beginning stages of developing him."

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article211925779.html?__twitter_impression=true
Meh. If this is a year two statement then there’s concern. Plus the whole quote is, “Physically he looks the part for sure, but there’s a lot more things that go into it. We’re at the beginning stages of developing him.” For a rookie at this point in the season, there’s not much to worry about. I agree that isn’t not the best news but I wouldn’t be too worried about it.

Hype train starting to roll. I’m pretty conflicted on him. Physically there aren’t many that compare. He slipped a lot in rookie drafts and I ended up with a healthy stock of Ballage despite where I had him in my rankings. If he starts flashing in preseason I have no idea what would be fair value. 

I was more interested in Ballage at one time, but his cost might be prohibitive given his realistic upside.

I'm curious to see what he can do with the Dolphins. They do have an opening at RB (more or less) if he can take advantage of it.

I don't think he beats out Drake. Miami has nothing to lose by trotting Drake out there to see what he can do, which I think he earned based on last year. I don't think he beats Gore out, either.

I don't think he beats out Drake. Miami has nothing to lose by trotting Drake out there to see what he can do, which I think he earned based on last year. I don't think he beats Gore out, either.
I took him at 2.11 in a league I had Drake and Gore already because there wasn’t much I was interested in anyway - but if he went at 2.10 it wouldn’t have bothered me. Like you, I don’t expect him to even beat out Gore for the backup role.  Of course it’s possible his athleticism translates and the light goes on, but for me he’s just insurance.

Berry from June 1st.  Just saw this and it hasn't been posted in this thread.  Interesting stuff.  He looks the part of a goal line back but also has pass catching chops.

First impressions and expectations 2018 fantasy football rookie class

Speaking of Miami, one of my favorite interviews came with Dolphins fourth-round running back Kalen Ballage. When we did our NFL draft wrap-up Fantasy Focus 06010 podcast, I mentioned Ballage as an interesting late-round sleeper. I have a feeling he may not go in the late rounds by the time we get to late August. I am fully on board with him as one of my favorite later-round upside picks. I absolutely loved this kid. First, he is a massive human being. He's 6-foot-3 with a vise-like grip, so I don't know how he doesn't become their goal-line back right out of the gate. He is funny, smart and quick-witted. The press in Miami is going to love this guy.

At one point I asked him this:

TMR: Kalen, at Arizona State in 2016, you caught 44 balls, but only 17 last year. Has anyone on the Miami coaching staff talked to you about how they see you and your role in this offense?

Ballage: (Big smile) Absolutely. Y'all gonna have to find out on game day.

I kept pressing him on an answer and he wouldn't budge. At one point, I told him I had said he would be a great goal-line back for Miami on the podcast. And his response was something like, "But that's a very narrow role. Don't box me in." And they way he said "don't box me in" was more like a "if you do, you'll look dumb" than a defensive, "hey, don't stereotype me." I don't know, man.

If you just read the transcript of the interview I did with him, you'd say he gave me absolutely nothing and you'd be 100 percent right. And maybe he's a great actor or maybe he's just B.S.-ing me. All of it possible and maybe even probable, but I just think sometimes you meet people and you immediately know that person has "it."

Kalen Ballage has it by the truckload. He'll be a mid-to-later-round pick for me in every draft I do this year.

Bracie Smathers said:
Berry from June 1st.  Just saw this and it hasn't been posted in this thread.  Interesting stuff.  He looks the part of a goal line back but also has pass catching chops.

First impressions and expectations 2018 fantasy football rookie class

Speaking of Miami, one of my favorite interviews came with Dolphins fourth-round running back Kalen Ballage. When we did our NFL draft wrap-up Fantasy Focus 06010 podcast, I mentioned Ballage as an interesting late-round sleeper. I have a feeling he may not go in the late rounds by the time we get to late August. I am fully on board with him as one of my favorite later-round upside picks. I absolutely loved this kid. First, he is a massive human being. He's 6-foot-3 with a vise-like grip, so I don't know how he doesn't become their goal-line back right out of the gate. He is funny, smart and quick-witted. The press in Miami is going to love this guy.

At one point I asked him this:

TMR: Kalen, at Arizona State in 2016, you caught 44 balls, but only 17 last year. Has anyone on the Miami coaching staff talked to you about how they see you and your role in this offense?

Ballage: (Big smile) Absolutely. Y'all gonna have to find out on game day.

I kept pressing him on an answer and he wouldn't budge. At one point, I told him I had said he would be a great goal-line back for Miami on the podcast. And his response was something like, "But that's a very narrow role. Don't box me in." And they way he said "don't box me in" was more like a "if you do, you'll look dumb" than a defensive, "hey, don't stereotype me." I don't know, man.

If you just read the transcript of the interview I did with him, you'd say he gave me absolutely nothing and you'd be 100 percent right. And maybe he's a great actor or maybe he's just B.S.-ing me. All of it possible and maybe even probable, but I just think sometimes you meet people and you immediately know that person has "it."

Kalen Ballage has it by the truckload. He'll be a mid-to-later-round pick for me in every draft I do this year.
... sounds like a love story.  Can't wait to see how this progresses on social media.

Can't get a read on this backfield to save my life. Then again, if my life depends on the Dolphins offense this year, IDK. Gase seems he may be a lame duck. I thought Drake looked great, not good, at the end of the year, yet this *looks* like it will be a committee. 

Can't get a read on this backfield to save my life. Then again, if my life depends on the Dolphins offense this year, IDK. Gase seems he may be a lame duck. I thought Drake looked great, not good, at the end of the year, yet this *looks* like it will be a committee. 
I've always been a fan of Drake but I partially attribute his success to fresh legs. I think people often scoff at that narrative but Drake didn't see any meaningful touches untill W9 last season and didn't see work horse touches untill W13. Injuries also forced Gase's hand. Drake could pull a Bryce Brown. 

Kalen Ballage started Thursday's preseason opener, rushing 10 times for 37 yards while losing a fumble.

Ballage added three catches for 23 yards. The Dolphins mothballed Kenyan Drake and Frank Gore, giving the keys to Ballage. He showed some impressive athleticism, but made an awful rookie mistake, attempting a hurdle and kneeing the ball out of his own grip for a fumble. Ballage impressed in pad-less practices during the spring, but has had a quiet training camp. Right now, he's a distant No. 3 on the depth chart.

Aug 9 - 10:04 PM

Ryan Tannehill kicked Dolphins fourth-round RB Kalen Ballage out of the huddle for missing a block during Sunday's practice.

Tannehill was furious with the rookie, sending him off the field and later ripping him on the sideline. Coach Adam Gase had Tannehill's back, telling reporters after practice that the QB was right to boot Ballage from the huddle. Ballage attempted a block later on and was leveled by one of his teammates. Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald called Sunday a "Welcome to the NFL" practice for the 22-year-old. Ballage will need to improve his blocking if he wants to see playing time in year one.

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter 

Aug 12 - 12:53 PM

Dolphins rookie RB Kalen Ballage is in the concussion protocol.

This is his first concussion in the NFL. Ballage was having a rough go even before the injury, committing a fumble in the preseason opener and getting kicked out of the huddle by Ryan Tannehill in practice, and now he will miss at least one preseason game. Ballage will likely spend his rookie season behind Kenyan Drake and Frank Gore on the depth chart.

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter 

Aug 14 - 11:11 AM

Kalen Ballage went for 25 yards and a touchdown on four carries while adding three catches for 37 yards on four targets Thursday in the Dolphins’ preseason finale against the Falcons.

All of his work came during the first half. Ballage had missed the previous two games with a concussion. He found the end zone about midway through the first quarter, capping Miami’s second drive with a nine-yard score on second-and-goal. It was an uneven summer for the rookie, who frustrated Ryan Tannehill and the coaching staff by struggling in pass protection. He’ll be fighting for scraps behind co-starters Kenyan Drake and Frank Gore this season.

Aug 30 - 10:27 PM

He’s not on the active roster but I agree with you...he’s the perfect come out of nowhere player to make a fantasy impact 
Anything can happen because it's football but he wasn't good at Arizona State, could never really get a grip on a feature back role and while he is very fast for his size, he did not test out anywhere close to the great athlete that people expected. 

133.9 Sparq, only below Saquon, Mike Boone, Trenton Cannon and Bo Scarbrough. Would have only been below Matt Breida, Brionte Dunn (prison) and Aaron Jones from last year. 4.46 40 at 228 lbs and ran the fastest sustained MPH of any RB at the senior bowl with 19.42. He is very much the great athlete people thought he was.

Anything can happen because it's football but he wasn't good at Arizona State, could never really get a grip on a feature back role and while he is very fast for his size, he did not test out anywhere close to the great athlete that people expected. 
Good to know!! 

133.9 Sparq, only below Saquon, Mike Boone, Trenton Cannon and Bo Scarbrough. Would have only been below Matt Breida, Brionte Dunn (prison) and Aaron Jones from last year. 4.46 40 at 228 lbs and ran the fastest sustained MPH of any RB at the senior bowl with 19.42. He is very much the great athlete people thought he was.
He’s a very good athlete: his broad jump,40 and 3 cons were really nice- especially for his size. He’s an 80th so percentile athlete. However, I heard talk from some hardcore draft junkies that he had potential to post a Saquon level combine. He’s a +1 SD athlete with bizarre college production. Hid numbers indicate he was a bizarre hybrid of GL back and receiving back as a junior. He scored 15 TDs but 8 of them came in 1 games. Then as a senior in 13 games he has 700 total yards, 6 TDs and 4.3 ypc. Meanwhile fellow senior Demario Richard completely outplayed him as he had for 2 of their 3 years at ASU. Why wasn’t Ballagr productive outside of 1 crazy game? Why wasn’t he featured?

He’s a very good athlete: his broad jump,40 and 3 cons were really nice- especially for his size. He’s an 80th so percentile athlete. However, I heard talk from some hardcore draft junkies that he had potential to post a Saquon level combine. He’s a +1 SD athlete with bizarre college production. Hid numbers indicate he was a bizarre hybrid of GL back and receiving back as a junior. He scored 15 TDs but 8 of them came in 1 games. Then as a senior in 13 games he has 700 total yards, 6 TDs and 4.3 ypc. Meanwhile fellow senior Demario Richard completely outplayed him as he had for 2 of their 3 years at ASU. Why wasn’t Ballagr productive outside of 1 crazy game? Why wasn’t he featured?
I saw many of his pre-season carries and reception. He's big but not an instinctive between the tackles runner. Fast, but takes time to get up to speed. Good receiver. Could be a 3rd down back, but not the Sproles type with multiple juke moves. 

Users who are viewing this thread