What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solo: A Star Wars Movie (1 Viewer)

I have an 11 year old, so of course I will be seeing this, but not too excited.  Neither of us really dug TFA and Opie is a pretty meh person to put in charge of something like this.  It's odd that Marvel has 3 movies a year and SW 1, but I feel like I am getting SW fatigue quicker.  It's probably due to never reading a comic book so I don't know much about some of these characters still, where SW is rehashing similar stories and characters every other movie? 

If The Last Jedi was a disaster what are the prequels considered?
:goodposting:

The prequels have to be the three worst, right?

I personally liked the Last Jedi. I thought it was an interesting direction to take the franchise. And I think by doing that, it will help keep future movies fresh. Not everything is black and white. Gray is interesting.

I have an 11 year old, so of course I will be seeing this, but not too excited.  Neither of us really dug TFA and Opie is a pretty meh person to put in charge of something like this.  It's odd that Marvel has 3 movies a year and SW 1, but I feel like I am getting SW fatigue quicker.  It's probably due to never reading a comic book so I don't know much about some of these characters still, where SW is rehashing similar stories and characters every other movie? 
Fatigue comes from movies you don't enjoy.  I personally feel that the Marvel universe is much more boring than the Star Wars universe and from a plot perspective, Marvel is all over the map, has terrible enemies and non-sensical overall storylines.

But there are some really good movies (IE, the latest Thor movie) in there.

For me, Star Wars needs to get away from this one particular timeline to really shine.  I like the fact that they are doing that in the future trilogy.

I think if they try and analyze every single aspect of the galaxy during the time of Anakin and Luke Skywalker, than it will lead to exhaustion.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Last Jedi was a disaster?
Rotten Tomato Score: 91% - very high critical score

IMDB Score: 7.5 - solid to very solid fan score

Box Office: $1.3 billion (maybe not what they expected to top off at but still an ENORMOUS number).

Overall TLJ was the exact opposite of a disaster from every angle.   

I think people have a hard time separating their own feelings(be it good or bad) for a movie with the data that defines a movie's health.

:goodposting:

The prequels have to be the three worst, right?

I personally liked the Last Jedi. I thought it was an interesting direction to take the franchise. And I think by doing that, it will help keep future movies fresh. Not everything is black and white. Gray is interesting.
I enjoyed the prequels when they came out but when I'm comparing them to the rest they are the worst three of them all.  Episode 3 was the best of them.

The rumors of the bad acting from the guy playing Solo has me worried.  Dude has some major shoes to fill trying to live up to what Harrison Ford has done. 

Otherwise I'm in.  My kids aren't critical.  I love watching all of these movies with them. 

It won't take long before this branches into

"The Prequels were the worst" vs "how can any one say the Ewoks did not ruin Return of the Jedi?"
I'm sorry. That's my fault.

I am looking forward to Solo. I will definitely see it. And probably enjoy it.

One thing I don't understand from reading the article above - why would the studio cast someone in the lead who is a terrible actor? 

One thing I don't understand from reading the article above - why would the studio cast someone in the lead who is a terrible actor? 
that is the million dollar question. But done suggest someone like Brad Pitt. @shadyridr will be mad

Rotten Tomato Score: 91% - very high critical score

IMDB Score: 7.5 - solid to very solid fan score

Box Office: $1.3 billion (maybe not what they expected to top off at but still an ENORMOUS number).

Overall TLJ was the exact opposite of a disaster from every angle.   

I think people have a hard time separating their own feelings(be it good or bad) for a movie with the data that defines a movie's health.
Yeah just to be clear, I meant it as my opinion not that it was a commercial disaster (although no where near as well as they thought).  But time will not be kind to the movie.

Sinn Fein said:
Lets keep this this about the Solo film - pros or cons. 
It'll probably be decent. Really word on Wonder Woman was disaster too. 

Some of this smells a little bit like drumming up free publicity.

How can you make a movie about Han Solo and replace Harrison Ford with some guy who needs acting lessons? Of course it's going to suck. 

My concern with the Solo film concept is that more than any other human character in the Star Wars world - the character is inextricably tied with the actor. Harrison Ford created the persona - and I think it will be difficult for any actor to recreate that aura. 

I will probably go see it, but my kids are not begging to go see this.  I think the story will be mildly entertaining, but the execution will fall flat. But I hope I am wrong. 

whoknew said:

Why would they use Hayden Christensen to play Anakin?

The word on Solo has been pretty bad for months. That's disappointing because a Han prequel could be so friggin cool.

Perhaps they brought in an acting coach, not to teach him how to act, but how to act like Ford acting like Solo.
That's my assumption - because that will be the first criticism - it doesn't sound/act like we know a younger Solo would act like. The mannerisms will be picked a part. 

It seems like Solo had a lot of bad buzz during production and it’s going to be hard for any actor to duplicate an iconic actor like Harrison Ford’s coolness.  

Regardless, I’ll be there opening weekend.  The trailer looked good and Glover could be great as young Lando.  

I have no idea whether the actor can act or not but it should be noted that having an acting coach for a movie is as radical as having a QB coach for an NFL team.

A young Luke? A young Solo? A young Lando?

These characters weren't old in the original trilogy. I understood the idea of a prequel to see Vader before he was masked. Obi-wan before he was an old man. To see what this clone war was all about. But this is just silly. These characters all had character arcs almost 40 years ago. EVERY movie has characters that have backstories but that doesn't mean we need a ####### prequel for everything. 

This universe is so small and lame. 

I think the concept of a Solo movie makes sense - there are a number of story lines where we know the basic outcome - best pilot in the galaxy, getting the Falcon, teaming up with Chewie, smuggling life, bounty placed by Jabba...

The story practically writes itself - and as an action movie, it has potential.  The execution is going to be difficult to pull off - but that does not mean impossible.

Young Indiana Jones does not inspire a lot of confidence, though I watched those too...

Someone PM me when the Jawa origin movie thread gets started. That way I will know when the argument whether or not the Bibb Fortuna origin story was a success or not will be rehashed for the millionth time

Perhaps they brought in an acting coach, not to teach him how to act, but how to act like Ford acting like Solo.
My hopes aren't up for that.  Instead of Ewan McGreggor doing an Alec Guiness impersonation to make us believe it was the same person, he claimed to do a "young Alec Guiness" impersonation.  You know, for all of those people who not only grew up on Star Wars but also Alec Guiness' early work.  

Hawkeye21 said:
If The Last Jedi was a disaster what are the prequels considered?
I liked 3 just fine, and would probably put that in over TLJ at this point.  Disaster might be a tad harsh especially when Ep.2 exists. 

Users who are viewing this thread