What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solo: A Star Wars Movie (1 Viewer)

I have to agree with NR that there won’t be a sequel. The solo brand, as much as I hate that word, took a beating. Hopefully they can find a way to make another movie in that time period that includes these characters. 

There will absolutely be a sequel. I'm willing to bet my kids and millennium falcon from when I was a kid on it. 

There will absolutely be a sequel. I'm willing to bet my kids and millennium falcon from when I was a kid on it. 
I hope you are right!

The best hope we have is that Disney convinces themselves that the box office issues had absolutely nothing to do with the final movie's quality itself.

What makes you so confident?
I have gone back three pages in this thread and there is one person who said they didnt like it. 

Just read some articles and while the movie may not be a smash box office success, no one is really saying the movie is bad. There is no way Disney is going to miss out on how Han muffed his drug deal with Jabba. 

And there is a lot more they can do since I think its 10 or 15 years before Han meets Luke and Obi Wan. 

Yup. And people were saying this months before the release. Absolutely baffling decision that’s never really been explained. 
As I understand it, the May release time (while not only "Star Wars tradition") allows for a full-on, lead-up-to-Christmas, toy marketing assault. Let’s not forget that the TOYS and merchandise are where Lucasfilm (and now Disney) really make bank. 

They can’t release a full set of toys, lunch boxes, etc for Christmas since they don’t want to give away key plot points (ex. Can’t sell a bunch of Riley as bad a$$ new Jedi holding a light Sabre, if ep7 is not in theaters yet). 

Whether that ends up remaining the correct, overall marketing formula, time will tell. 

And actually, we’ll have to wait for while since the director change back to JJ for Ep9 has pushed that movie out from a May to a Xmas release. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have gone back three pages in this thread and there is one person who said they didnt like it. 

Just read some articles and while the movie may not be a smash box office success, no one is really saying the movie is bad. There is no way Disney is going to miss out on how Han muffed his drug deal with Jabba. 

And there is a lot more they can do since I think its 10 or 15 years before Han meets Luke and Obi Wan. 
10 years is the right time frame.

I think it does need to be acknowledged that while the audience as a whole enjoyed the movie, that there is a huge difference between not being a box office smash and losing a ton of money.

Solo is not just doing poorly domestically, it is getting killed overseas.  Normally this may not have been quite as big a deal but we need to remember Solo was also extremely expensive to make because of the production problems.

I was hoping word of mouth would help in week 2 but it did not.  As you indicated, we have near universal agreement in the FFA on this movie being entertaining.  The FFA has problems agreeing that 2+2= 4 or that Jessica Alba is attractive (don't ban me please) so that is really telling.

fwiw, here is what Ron Howard said about a sequel before the release

========

I think the fans are going to define all of that. I mean I think that Lucasfilm and Disney in casting actors, and particularly younger actors, want to see what happens and build upon that. Certainly, they want the commitment from the young actors, but there are no concrete plans. I think there’s been a lot of creative energy and now marketing energy going behind this movie.”

=========

I am pretty sure the bold is talking about how much money it makes overall (box office, merchandise, media sales etc).

As I understand it, the May release time (while not only "Star Wars tradition") allows for a full-on, lead-up-to-Christmas, toy marketing assault. Let’s not forget that the TOYS and merchandise are where Lucasfilm (and now Disney) really make bank. 

They can’t release a full set of toys, lunch boxes, etc for Christmas since they don’t want to give away key plot points (ex. Can’t sell a bunch of Riley as bad a$$ new Jedi holding a light Sabre, if ep7 is not in theaters yet). 

Whether that ends up remaining the correct, overall marketing formula, time will tell. 

And actually, we’ll have to wait for while since the director change back to JJ for Ep9 has pushed that movie out from a May to a Xmas release. 
I dont get this...both the Force Awakens and the Last Jedi were released in mid-December (2015 & 2017). Didnt seem to hurt the toy sales or the box office for either of them. 

I dont get this...both the Force Awakens and the Last Jedi were released in mid-December (2015 & 2017). Didnt seem to hurt the toy sales or the box office for either of them. 
I don’t totally get it either. But toy sales were down last year, but who knows how much of that is Xmas vs. Toys R Us bankruptcy, etc. 

Force Awakens data kind of has to be taken as an anomaly since it was a mega event, first SW film in a decade. 

Anyway, I don’t have all the answers. That’s just what I was told when I asked about sticking with December releases a couple of years ago. 

Kids don’t play with toys at anywhere near the level of the pre tablet era
agreed.....my kids 8 and 11 hardly ever play with real toys unless its a fad thing like kondama, fidget spinner....they do like nerf guns and legos still but action figures/star wars or super hero related stuff they aren't interested in even if they watch the movies. they would much rather get a Nintendo switch game, play Minecraft or whatever app they have on the kindle...

Joe Summer said:
I thought that the actors playing Han and Lando were great. They were true to the original characters but still brought their own personality (although Lando had a few too many "Colt .45 malt liquor" moments for my tastes).

I thought that Woody was too.....Woody. He's supposed to be a badass, but then he's practically begging for his life and saying "I guarantee it won't happen again"?! Come on man, sack up. Oh, and don't get caught monologuing.

They did a very poor job of showing how the Falcon got its forked front. Seems like there was a scene or two missing from the movie that would have explained it better.

I loved the appearance of

Darth Maul
at the end, and I like how they left it open-ended so there's a possibility of a sequel. I'd rather see Solo II than Fett I.
Which Colt 45 moments are you referring to?

I have to agree with NR that there won’t be a sequel. The solo brand, as much as I hate that word, took a beating. Hopefully they can find a way to make another movie in that time period that includes these characters. 

There is no way Disney is going to miss out on how Han muffed his drug deal with Jabba. 
Haven't seen it yet, though maybe we will soon. 

But it sure seems this is the right answer. Maybe make it less of a solo movie and more about Jabba and his crew?

Kids don’t play with toys at anywhere near the level of the pre tablet era
Such a shame too. Imagination time is fading away. 

I see kids as early as 2,3 and 4 years old being handed a tablet to keep them quiet and out of mommy and daddies hair instead of interacting with each other.

We used to play with Star Wars figures and vehicles for hours on end. Building bases and Death Stars with cardboard boxes, going outside with them and setting up battles etc. Good times.

Today....kids rot inside the house on tablets and phones and 1/3 of them are obese. It’s crazy.

I see kids as early as 2,3 and 4 years old being handed a tablet to keep them quiet and out of mommy and daddies hair instead of interacting with each other.

We used to play with Star Wars figures and vehicles for hours on end. Building bases and Death Stars with cardboard boxes, going outside with them and setting up battles etc. Good times.

Today....kids rot inside the house on tablets and phones and 1/3 of them are obese. It’s crazy.
It might make you feel better to know its not all kids. 

My kid loves WWE figures and hockey figures (whether it is Mcfarlane, Imports Dragon or the nameless ones). He will play with those all day. He sets them up into scenes and then tells everyone what is happening. He creates stop action movies of matches and games. He likes minecraft and is actually really awesome at it. I can not believe the things he makes. He likes the Star Wars movies but he is not really into the figures.

Meh, you sound like a grumpy old man.  Imagination is still there, especially with games like Minecraft.  Other games like COD, etc. have teamwork elements.  My kids research the crap out of their games too.  There are a lot of positives.  Don't get me wrong, kids still need to get out there and do some physical things.  My son is in the Boy Scouts, my daughter in the Girl Scouts and is joining the Color Guard this year.  It is important for people to have enough face to face interaction as well, but this kind of thinking is just the bah humbug old people say about the next generation.

I agree somewhat. Kids still absolutely need that "being a kid" time. Just playing in the mud or creek or whatever.

But I think it's wrong to say that imagination time is fading. Imagination is alive and well, just in a different format. See: Minecraft.

It's up to good parents to make their kids have that balance and not just let them be mindless tablet zombies.

Meh, you sound like a grumpy old man.  Imagination is still there, especially with games like Minecraft.  Other games like COD, etc. have teamwork elements.  My kids research the crap out of their games too.  There are a lot of positives.  Don't get me wrong, kids still need to get out there and do some physical things.  My son is in the Boy Scouts, my daughter in the Girl Scouts and is joining the Color Guard this year.  It is important for people to have enough face to face interaction as well, but this kind of thinking is just the bah humbug old people say about the next generation.
Or, this. Foos on point as usual.

My daughter is a little older but she still grew up in the electronic age but she loved her lego's.

Have lego's slowly died off (again)?  I feel like when I pass a lego store in the mall it is jam packed with kids.

My daughter is a little older but she still grew up in the electronic age but she loved her lego's.

Have lego's slowly died off (again)?  I feel like when I pass a lego store in the mall it is jam packed with kids.
My son still likes them. He has a few star wars ones, but he mostly gets the 5 Nights at Freddies ones now

It seems like Solo will break even after all is said and done.  But to me Disney has learned a bunch of lessons here.

First of all, it's good for them to know that just because it says Star Wars on it, doesn't mean it will sell.  That's huge.  

Second, the "unknown actor" thing works for trilogy movies.  But I think it will be a huge failure if they try to keep it going for all the spinoff movies.  At times, you need some actors with name recognition.  No one is saying that they need to hire Tom Cruise, but SOME star appeal needs to happen.

Third, I love the fact that the movie is really good.  Who cares if it's a box office bomb.  That's really not relevant.  Nor does it mean that a second movie won't happen.   If my research is right, Antman was the lowest grossing movie of all the Marvel movies (Solo will soar past it imo).  Yet I loved Antman and a sequel is coming.  

All in all, the good news is that Star Wars/Disney didn't actually DELIVER a bomb.  The movie just didn't perform well at the box office.  That can be fixed.  It's on Disney to up their game.  In all aspects of life I think we tend to get lazy when things are going well and big corporations are no different.  Fire a few marketing folks and move on.

I really like the fact that there is now a 1.5 year break between movies.  Star Wars needed that.  

It seems like Solo will break even after all is said and done. 
I don't see this coming close to break even myself, especially with media sales in general still on the decline.

Solo cost between $250-$300m which means it needs to make roughly $500-$600m in revenue to break even.

It is at $264m right now and most movies stop earning decent money by week 3.  Solo is going to have to buck that trend in a historic fashion to gain significantly more box office revenue IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Third, I love the fact that the movie is really good.  Who cares if it's a box office bomb.  That's really not relevant.  Nor does it mean that a second movie won't happen.   If my research is right, Antman was the lowest grossing movie of all the Marvel movies (Solo will soar past it imo).
Antman made $519m.  Solo is at $264m.  I don't think it is realistic to assume Solo will soar past it especially with the normal box office revenue dropping off a cliff after a few weeks of release.

The Antman sequel is getting made because Antman made a ton of money for Disney.  Its budget was only $103m. 

The best hope for a sequel is this thought process by the suits at Disney:

1) The audience who went to see it, in large part, enjoyed the movie and would enjoy a sequel.

2) The production issues caused the movie's budget to explode.  Had this been managed better, the budget would have been reasonable and the chance to make money would have increased significantly.  The studio has to acknowledge they screwed up in the hiring of the original directors and the lack of communication.

3) An acknowledgement that their choice to release in May instead of December was a poor one

4) An acknowledgement that they did a poor job keeping the productions issues a secret, which led to a lot of negative press significantly reducing the hype for the movie.

4) An acknowledgement that they did a poor job keeping the productions issues a secret, which led to a lot of negative press significantly reducing the hype for the movie.
I think this is a huge factor. There were tons of people who already believed it sucked before it even came out. 

Maybe good DVD sales will push the decision since most people agree its a pretty decent flick

1) The audience who went to see it, in large part, enjoyed the movie and would enjoy a sequel.

2) The production issues caused the movie's budget to explode.  Had this been managed better, the budget would have been reasonable and the chance to make money would have increased significantly.  The studio has to acknowledge they screwed up in the hiring of the original directors and the lack of communication.

3) An acknowledgement that their choice to release in May instead of December was a poor one

I think it's more likely that this development puts Kathleen Kennedy on thin ice.  They seem to have had issues with the vision of the future of the franchise across the board, and the cracks are really starting to show in this one.  Disney puts out such quality material that I don't expect the company has a typical political environment, but you have to think that whatever forces have been gathering to oppose Kennedy needed something like this to happen in order to gain traction.  Purely speculation from the outside looking in of course.  I know nothing of this industry and haven't read anything.  Just spitballing.

I think this is a huge factor. There were tons of people who already believed it sucked before it even came out. 

Maybe good DVD sales will push the decision since most people agree its a pretty decent flick
This thread is a fabulous example of your first point.  We had certain posters who seemed to revel in posting negative articles time and time again, many of which turned out to be incredibly inaccurate.

With traditional media sales slumping, I don't think DVD/blu rays make as much revenue as they used to.  I am unsure if streaming has made up for this or not,

One of the reasons floating online about the poor box office is that a good sized segment of fans were disappointed in how The Last Jedi was handled.

Very recently (either yesterday or the day before) Simon Peg said that Rian Johnson made changes from what JJ originally intended.  There is now a theory/hope that JJ may retcon some of what Johnson did in 8 during 9 but that is all speculation and it will be a long time until we find out (Dec 2019)

One of the reasons floating online about the poor box office is that a good sized segment of fans were disappointed in how The Last Jedi was handled.

Very recently (either yesterday or the day before) Simon Peg said that Rian Johnson made changes from what JJ originally intended.  There is now a theory/hope that JJ may retcon some of what Johnson did in 8 during 9 but that is all speculation and it will be a long time until we find out (Dec 2019)
I really hope there is no midichlorian type bull#### that comes out of this trilogy.

I don't see this coming close to break even myself, especially with media sales in general still on the decline.

Solo cost between $250-$300m which means it needs to make roughly $500-$600m in revenue to break even.

It is at $264m right now and most movies stop earning decent money by week 3.  Solo is going to have to buck that trend in a historic fashion to gain significantly more box office revenue IMO.
Where does the twice cost to break even number come from? Does that mean theaters get half the take? I honestly don't know how that works.

Last Jedi has nothing to do with this movie though. People really are morons. 

I don't get everyone freaking out for a Boba Fett movie.  He's just some random dude with a helmet.  I had his super bizarre ship toy as a child, so I'm at least an average fan.  But a whole movie about the guy??  I don't get the spazzing out for this.  We got plenty of it in that crappy trilogy in the middle, no?

I don't get everyone freaking out for a Boba Fett movie.  He's just some random dude with a helmet.  I had his super bizarre ship toy as a child, so I'm at least an average fan.  But a whole movie about the guy??  I don't get the spazzing out for this.  We got plenty of it in that crappy trilogy in the middle, no?
we got none of his story in the trilogy.  You are thinking of his father Jango.  Boba was just the little kid who had like one line.

Boba sucks, died like a jobber in Jedi

Far from, a grumpy old man....GTFOH. And BS. My kid is very active and outdoors.....and plays video games. I was and still am a video game addict. Well known around here. My point is a large amount of kids today are simply addicted to their device, do not socialize and childhood obesity is a very real and alarmingly fast growing epidemic in our country. And communication skills are rotting away...can't be denied.

Really easy to shoot off a post I am a grumpy old man, when in fact I am probably more active than a 1/3 of the youth today. That is sad. And social skills are also suffering due to technology.

I love technology as much as the other guy. But in moderation. Just like TV for us Gen X'ers. TV was the baby sitter with baby boomers as well as Gen X. But it was in moderation. I see kids who simply can not be peeled away from their phone or tablet. I see families of 4 and 5 at restaurants eating dinner in complete silence and heads down looking at their phones from the moment they sit....till the moment they leave.

Grumpy old man. Please man.

Back on topic......SOLO WAS AN AWESOME STAR WARS FILM!!!! I already want to see it again and again. Did not say the same thing about The Last Jedi which is dreck compared to TFA, R1, and Solo. So Disney in my book is 3/4 so far.

Damn good batting average.

I agree somewhat. Kids still absolutely need that "being a kid" time. Just playing in the mud or creek or whatever.

But I think it's wrong to say that imagination time is fading. Imagination is alive and well, just in a different format. See: Minecraft.

It's up to good parents to make their kids have that balance and not just let them be mindless tablet zombies.
Yes...and that is what I meant. And it is not the overwhelming majority. But a 1/3 of our youth is certainly behind the eight ball these days in being active and engaged with other activities besides being on a laptop, phone or tablet.

The bold is 100% correct. Kids are a product of their environment.

Count me in on having zero excitement for a Boba Fett movie. None.  :X
Yea I really don’t get it. I wonder if it gets shelved after Solo. If people didn’t come out for Han Solo how do they expect them to for Boba Fett?

Users who are viewing this thread