What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solo: A Star Wars Movie (1 Viewer)

Thinking there might be a low box office for this one. I wasn't planning on seeing it right away. And it's totally anecdotal, but for ####s and grins I checked a local theater. 3 seats taken for the 10:00pm show tonight. So naturally I'm now going.

I will likely take a long lunch in the next few weeks and run down to the theater by where I work to check it out.  I'm probably the only one on this board with a Star Wars tattoo so I suppose I need to see this before it hits DVD.  :lol:

Thinking there might be a low box office for this one. I wasn't planning on seeing it right away. And it's totally anecdotal, but for ####s and grins I checked a local theater. 3 seats taken for the 10:00pm show tonight. So naturally I'm now going.
I noticed an amazing low score on Rotten Tomatoes in the "Who Wants to see it" rating.  It is siting at only 36% which is almost unheard for a genre movie.

I had originally guessed between $300m and $500m world wide (Rogue 1 did over a billion) but I am wondering if I over estimated.

I guess word of mouth could make or break this as there seems to be more hesitancy than usual.

I am going tomorrow night and am looking forward to it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed an amazing low score on Rotten Tomatoes in the "Who Wants to see it" rating.  It is siting at only 36% which is almost unheard for a genre movie.

I had originally guessed between $300m and $500m world wide (Rogue 1 did over a billion) but I am wondering if I over estimated.

I guess word of mouth could make or break this as there seems to be more hesitancy than usual.

I am going tomorrow night and am looking forward to it. 
They did release it at a really dumb time. No idea why they didn’t do Christmas again. 

I"m going to see this movie.. but it's absolutely the least excited i've been walking into a star wars movie.   I was pretty skeptical going into Rogue One and they crushed that..  so i have hope.  But I've heard so many negative things about the production of this movie leading up to it... the trailer looks pretty bad.. and my expectations are remarkably low..   Hopefully I'll get "rogue one" impressed.

They did release it at a really dumb time. No idea why they didn’t do Christmas again. 
I agree. With Avengers and Dead Pool on either side (originally Dead Pool was to come out next weekend and probably should have if the numbers remain low). There's also Incredibles 2 and another Jurassic movie right behind it. Would much rather see it on the first day of Christmas break with the kids like Episode VIII

I agree. With Avengers and Dead Pool on either side (originally Dead Pool was to come out next weekend and probably should have if the numbers remain low). There's also Incredibles 2 and another Jurassic movie right behind it. Would much rather see it on the first day of Christmas break with the kids like Episode VIII
Yea it’s become a thing for my family the last 3 years. So weird they decided to push it out now. 

Going tonight!

Sorta shameful how we have MoviePass and yet still shell out for the big ones on opening night

saw it Monday night screening and was thoroughly entertained.

All the threads the needed to tie into Star Wars Folklore were handled really really well imo.

And not a single mention of The Force in the whole film, which I didn't notice til I read that in a review after I saw it, but was a nice, refreshing break from all that magic to just give us a fun, stand-alone, space spaghetti western.

I put it as my 5th favorite SW film after Empire, New Hope, Rogue 1 and Jedi.

enjoy it everyone! It's a total blast!

will probably go during the week next week

by the way :

Boba Fett to get his own 'Star Wars Story'

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/boba-fett-star-wars-story-232129769.html
:oldunsure:

Disney needs to tread carefully with their choices of Star Wars Story subject matter.  Boba Fett may excite the hardcore fans, but could be too marginal to the casual fan.  The story would have to be amazing to make it work.

I'd love to see a movie focused on the rise of the Jedi Order, perhaps the eradication of the Sith with a young Yoda.  This is part of the core story, referred as ancient history in the movies.   Expanding on this origin-like story I think sucks in even the casual fan.

Disney needs to tread carefully with their choices of Star Wars Story subject matter.  Boba Fett may excite the hardcore fans, but could be too marginal to the casual fan.  The story would have to be amazing to make it work.

I'd love to see a movie focused on the rise of the Jedi Order, perhaps the eradication of the Sith with a young Yoda.  This is part of the core story, referred as ancient history in the movies.   Expanding on this origin-like story I think sucks in even the casual fan.
I will watch whatever they put out.  But I think this is a great point, pat.

I would agree but a huge corporation like that has to be doing some market research first I would think. 

FTR I’m not interested in a Fett movie at all. Don’t get the appeal. 

you guys are nuts, they need to make  a sweet boba fett story....granted the cannon of his tale in episodes 1-3 was weak.....
Rogue One added to the core story of the saga, tying directly to A New Hope.  Solo gives the backstory on the most important non-force user in the core story, with the added bonus of connecting an old Wookie military leader and Yoda ally to this smuggler.

A Fett movie seems like a throwaway subject: son of the clone model turns to a life of bounty hunting. Meh. If we're choosing movies based on the b-list characters, I'd prefer Jabba: Rise of a Gangster.  Remake the Godfather, with Jabba the Michael Corleone of Tatooine.

I would agree but a huge corporation like that has to be doing some market research first I would think. 

FTR I’m not interested in a Fett movie at all. Don’t get the appeal. 
Agree.  Why a backstory for a totally fringe character?  For the mainstream films, obviously.   I assume Fett is a big deal in the books or cartoons or whatever.  

I thought it was a fun two hours.  A good backstory for Han, Chewie and Lando.  I was praying it didn’t suck and they were answered.  

As a fan of The Clone Wars, that cameo at the end was great. I heard the voice and was all, “WTF, they didn’t!”   Yes they did; it will be interesting to see if it’s a throw away or leads somewhere. 

Saw it tonight ... loved it. 

The whole movie was great - I thought the casting, and the acting was nearly perfect.

As posted above, it was refreshing to have no mention of the force - not even a light saber! It was a much needed tangent from the main storyline, IMO

Donald Glover is really great.

The Chewy / Han meeting is perfect, loved watching them become homies ..

I’ll probably see it one more time before it leaves theatre 

popcorn is good 

Saw it tonight ... loved it. 

The whole movie was great - I thought the casting, and the acting was nearly perfect.

As posted above, it was refreshing to have no mention of the force - not even a light saber! It was a much needed tangent from the main storyline, IMO

Donald Glover is really great.

The Chewy / Han meeting is perfect, loved watching them become homies ..

I’ll probably see it one more time before it leaves theatre 

popcorn is good 
how is the mother of dragons?

As a fan of The Clone Wars, that cameo at the end was great. I heard the voice and was all, “WTF, they didn’t!”   Yes they did; it will be interesting to see if it’s a throw away or leads somewhere. 
Yep, that was my ohhhh#### moment. 

If they're going to follow the CW storyline, he can't have a lot of time left in this arc.

Was a lot of fun.   

The Chewy/Han beginning was good.  Glover was perfect as Lando.  Khaleesi was ok  -- Not great but not but bad by any means.  L3 ia a fun character but I worry they're running out of rope with the Sassy robot sidekicks.  Probably had enough of that after K2SO and L3 now.   Seeing Warwick Davis get a small role was pretty cool. Also was a nice little touch to put the 12 parsecs (time? / distance?)  thing to rest.   Overall it gets a solid B / maybe a B+ from me.   Not the best SW movie yet, but good and miles away from all those dorks who were saying this was gonna suck.

Speaking of dorks.   There was this neckbeard in the theater (the place is packed, btw) and all throughout the preshow stuff (what are we officially calling those ads and commercials and #### before the previews start?)  This guy was up and down both sides of the aisles/stairs , and tried to convince nearly everyone in the theater that as the IMAX Countdown screen went from 10 to 1 that as soon as it got quiet after 1, we should all yell "NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS!"  :mellow:  

He went through his pitch for this probably at least 20 times that I heard, and probably more than that.  So the IMAX splash screen comes on, we go from 10 to 1, and this guy all by himself yells "NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS!"  :mellow:   

THEN... he gets mad at the rest of everyone else in the rest of the theater for not saying it with him and starts berating THE REST OF THE THEATER "It just would have been fun and I don't know why it had to get ruined" :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:   

I mean, I tell people freely and truthfully that I'm a huge dork but this mofugga was on some next level ####.  He needed some sort of lifetime achievement award.  

SOLO at a SOLO movie ......nice
Leaving tomorrow for vacation and I don't know if anyone we're staying with other than my boy is going to want to see this.  so I figured rather than trying to dodge spoilers I'd just go tonight after I put the boy to bed.   I'll take my son and see it again soon. 

He is gonna lose his marbles at the cameo mentioned above -- that guy is one of his top 3 favorites in the entire SW franchise.  I'm all giddy waiting to take him now, just to see his reaction to that scene.

Pretty much thought the same as GB @AhrnCityPahnder

Not the best Star Wars movie, but for me probably the most fun is the way I'd put it.

The casting of Han was nowhere near as bad as what made this thread 7 pages. He was a bit of a stretch, but only because Donald Glover nailed Lando perfectly

Amped about the positive reviews here, weird it was getting raped on RT
Don't worry, there will be people coming along to nitpick in due time. I probably need to see it again (at least that's what I'll tell my wife) but on first viewing I didn't have much to gripe about :shrug:

Pretty much thought the same as GB @AhrnCityPahnder

Not the best Star Wars movie, but for me probably the most fun is the way I'd put it.

The casting of Han was nowhere near as bad as what made this thread 7 pages. He was a bit of a stretch, but only because Donald Glover nailed Lando perfectly
Should we be measuring this movie with the core films?

Are Han and Lando noticeably shorter than everyone else?  Interviews make it seem that way but maybe that's because they're usually sitting down.  People often look shorter when they are sitting down.  And you can take that to the credit union risk adverse bros. 

Really glad to see people here like it. My 15yo son and I have seen the last few in the theater in the first week or two but he has no desire to see this one before rental. I might get him to change his mind and go see it soon. (He's much more excited for Ant-Man). 

Users who are viewing this thread