What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solo: A Star Wars Movie (1 Viewer)

Isn't it only a 'bomb' if it doesn't make back the $250m it cost to make? I think $110m US/$150m worldwide in a long weekend is a pretty good start on making their money back and then providing a profit.

:2cents:
remember that the very rough rule of thumb in the industry is that you need two times the cost of the movie in revenue before profit is seen.

So if it cost $250m (some reports are suggesting it was more but no one knows for sure), then you are looking at roughly $500m for the over under.  I don't think the big concern is domestic revenue in this case.   The overseas revenue is much more concerning, especially with China already opening.

Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. Fun movie. Still not Harrison Ford, but that didn't ruin it for me. Much better than the last two jedi films. I didn't know the Kasdans had written it until the final credits, but that probably explains why this one is better than those.

Question for the cannon experts:

Was that Darth Maul, or just another "Maul". Wouldn't this take place after Darth Maul got cut in half by Obi Wan?[/spoller]

I don't know, I kept thinking of the Guardians of the Galaxy as i watched this. If the writer and main character for Guardians for the Galaxy did the movie Solo....it would have been amazing.

Question for the cannon experts:

Was that Darth Maul, or just another "Maul". Wouldn't this take place after Darth Maul got cut in half by Obi Wan?[/spoller]
just a side note, it is canon, not cannon.  :)

It was Darth maul from Episode 1.  In the animated series The Clone Wars his story is told about how he gets his robotic lower half.  In Solo Darth Maul was played by same actor as in EP 1 and voiced by the same voice actor in the animated series of Clone Wars and Rebels

I really like the tie-ins/cameos that Solo and Rogue had to other episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, I kept thinking of the Guardians of the Galaxy as i watched this. If the writer and main character for Guardians for the Galaxy did the movie Solo....it would have been amazing.
Guardians of the Galaxy had more adult humor than a Star Wars film ever will, which is going to cause it be seen in a different light.  I don't think a different director would have done much else with this.

I thought it was a very good movie.

That being said, will I see it again in the theater as I have every other Star Wars film?  Good question and one I can't answer yet. I suspect in 2-3 weeks I'll jump in for a matinee, but I suspect there will be less repeat viewers than before.

It's going to take some time for people to get used to every Star Wars movie not being a massive blockbuster.  Personally I think they bombed the press for this one.  Advertising seemed way down, I thought the release was odd, and there was little to no positive press.  It's as if they were sitting on a bomb, when in reality it was a really good movie.

Odd.

Guardians of the Galaxy had more adult humor than a Star Wars film ever will, which is going to cause it be seen in a different light.  I don't think a different director would have done much else with this.

I thought it was a very good movie.

That being said, will I see it again in the theater as I have every other Star Wars film?  Good question and one I can't answer yet. I suspect in 2-3 weeks I'll jump in for a matinee, but I suspect there will be less repeat viewers than before.

It's going to take some time for people to get used to every Star Wars movie not being a massive blockbuster.  Personally I think they bombed the press for this one.  Advertising seemed way down, I thought the release was odd, and there was little to no positive press.  It's as if they were sitting on a bomb, when in reality it was a really good movie.

Odd.
I thought the most appealing aspect of Solo was it was "back to basics". It gave it that early Star Wars vibe IMO

What's the matter with Star Wars?

However, a more plausible explanation is that the very base a Solo stand-alone movie needed to win over at the box office has simply decided they aren’t that interested anymore. After all, the controversial The Last Jedi made a purposeful and direct break from the Star Wars of old. Writer/director Rian Johnson warned fans not to expect the same formula that had come to identify one of the world’s most powerful brands. What he presented was a visually stunning yet jarring film that completely dispensed with the successful formula that had been the hallmark of the series all the way up to the acclaimed The Force Awakens.

Furthermore, Kathleen Kennedy – president of Lucasfilm – has made it all too clear that she intends for the Star Wars universe to take a major shift in the murky waters of social justice activism, even going so far as to hire rookie directors who claim they’ve never even seen the original trilogy.

I thought it was good, the acting for all of the bad press was honestly great. Really liked the guy who played Solo. I think the criticism for me was it was a little too one note, maybe they are setting up more movies down the road. I think they could have built in a bit more smuggling and avoiding the empire, and setting up his dropped shipment of jabbas that sets up the greedo encounter in IV.

Feels similar to ep I where they didn’t want to do too much in the first movie to save stuff for others when they should have just tried to make a kick ### movie.

Solid middle of the pack for the franchise, Disney is making a killing with this franchise so one commercial underperformance is not the end of the world.

I hope you’re not referring to the heat stroke inducing weather that was plaguing the Midwest. 
I was, but to be honest, my entire weekend was plagued with a stomach bug, so I barely got to leave the house. Looked nice from outside, though.

I took my sons to see it this afternoon in IMAX.  I loved the action in it; the robbing the train scene in particular was exceptional with great visuals.

I hate the term "popcorn flick" because I don't go to movies to be moved, or have my thoughts provoked. I go to be entertained and to see stuff blow up and cool SFX. In that regard, Solo passed the test. 

finally saw this on Sunday. as others have said, I thought it was good, not great. but I did enjoy it.

for all the 'new Han' talk, the guy playing him was pretty good. I forgot all the hoopla about 2 minutes in, and he just became Han. I also enjoyed them showing how the Han/Chewie relationship developed. and Donald Glover was really good as Lando. he really got his voice acting down and sounded just like Billy Dee. 

my issue with the movie was that they obviously set it up for a sequel. but why? this doesn't need to be part of a series. I don't think people are clamoring for the adventures of Han the scoundrel. a one-off origin story would have been fine.

Went to the mat today at the IMAX. I thought it was great!

2 things stood out to me- finding Clint Howard in a Ron Howard flick is always fun and my notion that it's better to have a wookie than a woman was confirmed.
Upon further reflection it is probably better to have an L3 than a woman too, but I'd still rather have a wookie than a L3.

finally saw this on Sunday. as others have said, I thought it was good, not great. but I did enjoy it.

for all the 'new Han' talk, the guy playing him was pretty good. I forgot all the hoopla about 2 minutes in, and he just became Han. I also enjoyed them showing how the Han/Chewie relationship developed. and Donald Glover was really good as Lando. he really got his voice acting down and sounded just like Billy Dee. 

my issue with the movie was that they obviously set it up for a sequel. but why? this doesn't need to be part of a series. I don't think people are clamoring for the adventures of Han the scoundrel. a one-off origin story would have been fine.
with all the work that goes on in these films, in most films, on the relatively off chance you get a hit (although it wasn't quite an off chance in the Star Wars universe), you hate to lose your options to have a sequel, so I still haven't seen it yet but I'm guessing thats why.  

I've heard the Obi Wan story talked about as a two parter... how we get him from taking Luke to Tatooine and living on the outskirts of town to 20 years later... how are you getting two movies out of a beaten jedi living a monk's life.  Ok he became Ben Kenobi... more young owen and Beru?

bagger said:
maybe they are setting up more movies down the road. I think they could have built in a bit more smuggling and avoiding the empire, and setting up his dropped shipment of jabbas that sets up the greedo encounter in IV.
I have to think they were hoping it would be a hit enough for a sequel, it did end with talk of going to Tatooine.  Since it was set about 10 yeas before Han meets Luke you would think this would all play into Solo 2?

But also could be a 1 off since we got the important early items and we do know where he ends up.  

Read an article today that suggested they don’t have to make a solo movie to button up all those plot lines. Like a movie set in that time period that incorporates the Solo stories. 

Oh, and Alden Ehrenreich is more of a young Jack Nicholson than Harrison Ford.

But his performance wasn't in any way problematic to the movie.
He looks like Ray Liotta to me.

Movie was okay.  Chewy stole the show.  I thought Lando would be better.  Everything looked cool.  Needed the "I'm Han Solo, I'm Han Solo" song in the credits.

Otis said:
Not surprising.  Going to be a box office loser it seems.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-box-office-losses-1202825432/amp/

I enjoy all the Star Wars movies but for one reason or another have no interest in seeing this in a theater. Feels like one of those Batman spinoff shows that doesn’t have actual Batman in it. 
It's worth seeing it in a theater. And I think it's like you say about the Batman spinoff without Batman, but in a good way. It was all the fun parts of star wars without most of the b.s. political junk and nonsensical force/dark side/light side garbage.

Was going to see it again but gave my 14 y.o. a choice of Solo or Infinity War. She asked which is "more of a big deal" so I told her IF. 

We're going to a matinee tomorrow at one of those places where you reserve seats (look at me!), and we are literally the only patrons in the theater so far. 

I wonder if this is more big movie fatigue than so called Star Wars fatigue.

Just checked Solo at the same time and there are zero seats taken. Surprising on both counts. It's supposed to be 100 degrees here tomorrow. 

Deadpool at the same time only has 3 seats taken. Sale at Kohls? 

Was going to see it again but gave my 14 y.o. a choice of Solo or Infinity War. She asked which is "more of a big deal" so I told her IF. 

We're going to a matinee tomorrow at one of those places where you reserve seats (look at me!), and we are literally the only patrons in the theater so far. 

I wonder if this is more big movie fatigue than so called Star Wars fatigue.

Just checked Solo at the same time and there are zero seats taken. Surprising on both counts. It's supposed to be 100 degrees here tomorrow. 

Deadpool at the same time only has 3 seats taken. Sale at Kohls? 
My sons and I were 3 or maybe 8 people that saw Solo at noon Wednesday. It has been hazy, hot and humid all week in Columbus. 

Just saw this last night. I liked it. But like others here have said - while I like Star Wars movies, I'm not a superfan. I just go to enjoy them.

One question - is Emilia Clarke's character someone I should know from the future movies?

I saw it a couple days ago and really enjoyed it. I had no problems with the actor playing Han - he was parsecs better than Hayden Christensen as Anakin. 

It was a fun movie to watch. I don't think it added anything to the Star Wars mythos, but it also didn't detract anything. All in all, it was a fun movie that fans shouldn't find too many faults with and non-fans could watch and enjoy as a good action movie. 

Saw it this afternoon. I haven't seen the last Star Wars yet but will soon because it's on Netflix now. My 8 yo boy loved this but couldn't say one thing specific. Personally, for me, I thought it was pretty terrible. I thought the plot was clunky and tired. It didn't have to tack on the unnecessary 4-5th act but either Howard or the writers couldn't help themselves somehow. I think the constant need, if not compulsion, to almost underline every little wink to the canon didn't serve the film well. "Rogue One" didn't and was better for it.

Saw it tonight with my son. We absolutely loved it.

I will watch this one over and over no doubt. So much better than The Last Jedi.....13 parsecs better in fact.

Saw it this afternoon. I haven't seen the last Star Wars yet but will soon because it's on Netflix now. My 8 yo boy loved this but couldn't say one thing specific. Personally, for me, I thought it was pretty terrible. I thought the plot was clunky and tired. It didn't have to tack on the unnecessary 4-5th act but either Howard or the writers couldn't help themselves somehow. I think the constant need, if not compulsion, to almost underline every little wink to the canon didn't serve the film well. "Rogue One" didn't and was better for it.
I thought it was pretty awesome the first time Han and Chewie got behind the controls of the Falcon together and they plaid the Star Wars theme for a few seconds. 

:oldunsure:

Disney needs to tread carefully with their choices of Star Wars Story subject matter.  Boba Fett may excite the hardcore fans, but could be too marginal to the casual fan.  The story would have to be amazing to make it work.

I'd love to see a movie focused on the rise of the Jedi Order, perhaps the eradication of the Sith with a young Yoda.  This is part of the core story, referred as ancient history in the movies.   Expanding on this origin-like story I think sucks in even the casual fan.
Would be very interested in seeing a movie on Yoda. We never actually saw him win a fight. Great advice though.

If they want to really go dark (Empire type mood), why not a movie called "Vader"? We saw him kick some serious ### in Rogue One for about 1 minute, but by Episode 4, he could barely beat an 80 year man who wanted to lose. In Empire, we did see a very unhappy Vader with his choking of people, and he did teach Luke a lesson or two. I do want to explore after Anakin became Darth. We know the Death Star was being built, but the next time we saw him was right before Episode 4. I would like a movie where he continues to hunt down the remaining Jedi, Obi-wan learns from Yoda how to use the Force better, Vader/Emperor establishing a strong-hold on the galaxy, etc. I know this could use some work because what I'm talking about is probably Rated R, but this would be the highest grossing film ever. If Vader is allowed to be Vader for a movie.

Rogue One added to the core story of the saga, tying directly to A New Hope.  Solo gives the backstory on the most important non-force user in the core story, with the added bonus of connecting an old Wookie military leader and Yoda ally to this smuggler.

A Fett movie seems like a throwaway subject: son of the clone model turns to a life of bounty hunting. Meh. If we're choosing movies based on the b-list characters, I'd prefer Jabba: Rise of a Gangster.  Remake the Godfather, with Jabba the Michael Corleone of Tatooine.
A Boba Fetta movie could have a role with Jabba, Han and Lando. Lots of characters could make this story good. I struggle with making this about him as the lead though.

A few things I didn't like about the movie.

I wasn't crazy about the constant double-crossing. I get it. Han shouldn't trust anyone.

I don't need to be reminded that Han is actually a good guy. 

I thought they want a bit out of the way on these things and maybe forgot that we know what happens with Han.

VII

Rogue One, V

VIII, Solo, IV, VI

I (I wanted to grow up to be a podracer, and have firmly left my feelings of this movie in 1999)

III, II
I have a hard time ranking this one because it's really the first true stand-alone move in that it's not part of the continuing story. Rogue One was basically a lead in to Episode 4. Solo was a character movie outside of the main story line that we learned to love. This movie was fun, definitely enjoyable. Maybe not great though, but more entertaining than anything.

Yeah, might also be due to the negative commentary swirling around it but the huge dropoff for Deadpool 2 as well suggests people are having a bit of big blockbuster movie fatigue. Or they just blew their movie budget for the year seeing Infinity War over and over and over.
Coming out with a Star Wars movie 5 months later during the same time that Dead Pool and the Avengers (phasing out now) was a mistake. This movie had all sorts of negative publicity heading in as well. It's also tough (for me at least) to picture somebody other than Harrison Ford playing Han; it sort of hurts the actual connection to Han.

Saying all of that, I'm a fan.

I loved it. My kids loved it. 

Can't wait to go back and see how everyone is nitpicking the silliest things. 

First movie in a long time that I left and thought, I wouldnt mind seeing that again. That includes all Marvel and new SW movies. 

I thought that the actors playing Han and Lando were great. They were true to the original characters but still brought their own personality (although Lando had a few too many "Colt .45 malt liquor" moments for my tastes).

I thought that Woody was too.....Woody. He's supposed to be a badass, but then he's practically begging for his life and saying "I guarantee it won't happen again"?! Come on man, sack up. Oh, and don't get caught monologuing.

They did a very poor job of showing how the Falcon got its forked front. Seems like there was a scene or two missing from the movie that would have explained it better.

I loved the appearance of

Darth Maul
at the end, and I like how they left it open-ended so there's a possibility of a sequel. I'd rather see Solo II than Fett I.

Very much looking forward to another Solo film. I was entertained from minute one till the very end.

Great movie. I don’t know where to rank it though.....because it is a true origin story and does not play into the entire Vader/Luke history like all the films do.

NewlyRetired said:
As much as the audience has enjoyed this movie, I don't think we should expect a sequel with the lack of any thing close to box office success.
I do. Disney paid far too much for the franchise. They blew it with their marketing and release date. Also all these old school Star Wars nerds bashing stuff before it is even released is joke.

The internet can really be toxic unfortunately and people believe anything they read. I did not read anything about the film at all. I simply saw it was coming out. Watched the trailers......went...and loved it.

I do. Disney paid far too much for the franchise. 
I am not sure I understand your point.  Disney has numerous Star Wars movies in the planning stages.  Just because Solo did not click on the revenue front, it is not gong to stop them from making new movies.

However, when planning sequels in the future, they are very likely to look at box office returns.  Solo unfortunately appears like it will be the first money loser ever in the franchise.  One thing that kills the deal is having multiple box office failures.

I think it is very fair to think that Solo's lack of box office success may effect their planning for a sequel, based on their fiduciary responsibilities.

I hope it gets made because I liked the movie.  I just think expecting it to be made might be optimistic. 

I liked the movie but like others I just do not understand the timing of the release.

Disney had the release calendar formula absolutely nailed.  Biggest Marvel movie in May, Pixar movie in June/July, Star Wars in December.  Sprinkle in a few more Marvel/traditional Disney movies in open spots and bingo, you have the whole year covered and people get used to the routine and look forward to it.

If they lose money on Solo they only have themselves to blame.

I liked the movie but like others I just do not understand the timing of the release.

Disney had the release calendar formula absolutely nailed.  Biggest Marvel movie in May, Pixar movie in June/July, Star Wars in December.  Sprinkle in a few more Marvel/traditional Disney movies in open spots and bingo, you have the whole year covered and people get used to the routine and look forward to it.

If they lose money on Solo they only have themselves to blame.
Yup. And people were saying this months before the release. Absolutely baffling decision that’s never really been explained. 

I guess the good thing is they won’t do that again. 

Users who are viewing this thread