What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2018 Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles* - Tough way to go out. Magic finally gone. (2 Viewers)

You know Reich is hoping Mike Lombardi taps him as the most unqualified HC hire in history.

:kicksrock: Hope we have some decent talent in the pipeline to fill those spots. I love Duce, but is he a good fit to be an OC? With Doug doing the play-calling, I can see it being a good move, I guess. Do we have anyone as a leading candidate for QB coach?

I'm happy for Frank. The first of many that will get HC jobs. DeFilipo definitely wanted out. He could have stayed on as the OC here but I think he was just a bit upset at not being allowed to leave last year. 

Let Duce have his shot. Lord knows he's earned it.

You know Reich is hoping Mike Lombardi taps him as the most unqualified HC hire in history.

:kicksrock: Hope we have some decent talent in the pipeline to fill those spots. I love Duce, but is he a good fit to be an OC? With Doug doing the play-calling, I can see it being a good move, I guess. Do we have anyone as a leading candidate for QB coach?
Press Taylor I guess as the asst qb coach.  Groh is interesting, though.  Seems to have done a nice job this year with the wr.

Just wish the flip hadn't gotten that offer so fast.  Would have felt ok with him just stepping up, though I suppose the playcllong may have always been an issue.  I wonder to what extent Pederson was great with the rhythm and feel of the game, but flip and Reich were great with the underlying tactics.

He could have stayed on as the OC here but I think he was just a bit upset at not being allowed to leave last year. 
I'm hoping the playcalling responsibilities was the kicker.  If the guy was upset over a decision that led to him getting a Super Bowl ring, he's not someone I'd want anyway. I'd think if you asked 100 position coaches if they a) want a promotion to OC right away, or b) stay on, win a Super Bowl, THEN get an OC job the following year, 100 out of 100 would take option b.

And Reich is official. (maybe, it is the Colts) 

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo

Frank Reich will be the Colts’ new coach. Five-year deal with the team has been agreed to and about to be finalized, source says. @espn reported earlier he was the fave.
Now the Giants want to interview Duce to be their OC.  More talent on the Eagles coaching then most people realize.

I'm hoping the playcalling responsibilities was the kicker.  If the guy was upset over a decision that led to him getting a Super Bowl ring, he's not someone I'd want anyway. I'd think if you asked 100 position coaches if they a) want a promotion to OC right away, or b) stay on, win a Super Bowl, THEN get an OC job the following year, 100 out of 100 would take option b.
:goodposting: yeah, agree if he left for something other then play calling it would be upsetting. Certainly worrisome losing OC and QBC, but hopefully Doug learned some from Andy about acquiring coaching talent. I know for portions of the Eagles' fanbase it is fun to bash Reid and McNbab, but Andy is certainly top 2-3 in assessing quality coaches and helping guys grow as coaches. Out side of Castillo, which i would still love to hear fro Andy on that one, i can't think of 1 miss he had

lol, Lane certainly is having fun sharing his opinions and thoughts. Kicking the Pats around, this team has a ton of confidence going into next next year. from proftooballtalk:

Lane Johnson: Eagles players have fun, Patriots players have fear

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 11, 2018, 7:02 AM EST

Getty Images

Eagles offensive lineman Lane Johnson won a Super Bowl ring and had fun doing it — something he doesn’t think the guys on the other side of the field could say.

Johnson said on Pardon My Take that the culture on the Eagles is one of a bunch of guys having a great time playing together, while the culture on the Patriots is of players fearing the consequences if they don’t do as they’re told.

“I just think that The Patriot Way is a fear-based organization,” Johnson said, via NESN. “Obviously, do they win? Hell yes, they win. They’ve won for a long time. Do I think people enjoy and can say, ‘I had a lot of fun playing there’? No, I don’t. That’s just the God’s honest truth. They’re successful, but when they go to interviews, they act like [expletive] robots. Hey, stop being a [expletive]head. We can be cordial for a little bit. You only get to do this job one time, so let’s have fun while we’re doing it. Not to be reckless, but I’d much rather have fun and win a Super Bowl than be miserable and win five Super Bowls. But hey, it is what it is.”

The Eagles certainly looked like they were having fun on Super Bowl Sunday, and throughout the week since then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now the Giants want to interview Duce to be their OC.  More talent on the Eagles coaching then most people realize.
One thing that struck me when Doug P was hired was the quality of staff that was in place or hired. Schwartz was hired before him, Deuce was retained, Reich and Defillipo were both added to his staff with rave reviews. No surprise they played a part in our Super Bowl success or the fact that they’re leaving for other NFL prominence. Given Doug’s offense control  I’m happy that the most important piece in Schwartz will stay but will likely go next year.

And Reich is official. (maybe, it is the Colts) 

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo

Frank Reich will be the Colts’ new coach. Five-year deal with the team has been agreed to and about to be finalized, source says. @espn reported earlier he was the fave.
Guess this is what happens when you coach one of the bestSuper Bowls all time and take down the GOAT ? 

Mike Grohl is also tabbed for OC. Pat Downey (I believe that's his name) is a lead for the QB Coach

I'm happy for Frank. The first of many that will get HC jobs. DeFilipo definitely wanted out. He could have stayed on as the OC here but I think he was just a bit upset at not being allowed to leave last year. 

Let Duce have his shot. Lord knows he's earned it.
I'm not sure why he'd be that upset. He went from Cleveland to Philly and by not allowing hm to leave he helped this team get a SB Ring. Honestly if that happened to me I'd let bygones be bygones and thank them for the opportunity and allowing me the oppurtunity to win the big game as a coach here. Who knows sometimes theres no spite involved. THere's been times where a team will save a coaches career from themselves and making a poor decision. 

lol, Lane certainly is having fun sharing his opinions and thoughts. Kicking the Pats around, this team has a ton of confidence going into next next year. from proftooballtalk:

Lane Johnson: Eagles players have fun, Patriots players have fear

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 11, 2018, 7:02 AM EST

Getty Images

Eagles offensive lineman Lane Johnson won a Super Bowl ring and had fun doing it — something he doesn’t think the guys on the other side of the field could say.

Johnson said on Pardon My Take that the culture on the Eagles is one of a bunch of guys having a great time playing together, while the culture on the Patriots is of players fearing the consequences if they don’t do as they’re told.

“I just think that The Patriot Way is a fear-based organization,” Johnson said, via NESN. “Obviously, do they win? Hell yes, they win. They’ve won for a long time. Do I think people enjoy and can say, ‘I had a lot of fun playing there’? No, I don’t. That’s just the God’s honest truth. They’re successful, but when they go to interviews, they act like [expletive] robots. Hey, stop being a [expletive]head. We can be cordial for a little bit. You only get to do this job one time, so let’s have fun while we’re doing it. Not to be reckless, but I’d much rather have fun and win a Super Bowl than be miserable and win five Super Bowls. But hey, it is what it is.”

The Eagles certainly looked like they were having fun on Super Bowl Sunday, and throughout the week since then.
That's a great comment and one I agree with. I liken it to wrestling and I'm listening to some wrestling Podcasts. THere's a guy in New Japan named Kenny omega who was in WWE Dev in 07 but left because he didn't like his direction he was being forced in. He talked about how many guys are afraid to go to someone about maybe switching up their character or doing a new move or anything to help them grow because they are at the top company and making more then they would elsewhere at that time. Guys got too complacent where he wanted more and didn't care about the pay. He took a chance left and now when his contract in NJPW ends in 2019 he'll be the hottest FA world wide if he doesn't re up with them. Same with the Pats. They maybe the best team to win a SB but Chris Long and LaGarrrent Blount in recent weeks have both said they had more fun winning this year then they did on the Patriots. BB doesn't let guys show off their character. Take it with a grain of salt but I heard an unconfirmed rumor from someone and no idea where they heard it but Long didn't feel comfortable speaking up or tweeting about certain issues like he does with the Eagles. With Political difference where BB and Brady both supported Trump and Long is very outspoken on Trump and social issues as a whole. I don't know how true that is but I do remember Lurie saying the players they support in anyway on Social issues as long as it doesn't effect their on field play and distraction to the team. I could definitely see given some of accusations in recent articles on the Patriots of that though. You honestly think any of these guys would be able to express themselves like they have here under BB and NE?

He runs a tight ship and even if they were underdogs he'd have frowned upon what Lane and Chris did with the Dog Masks and all. Dude is the definition of the No Fun league team. The players there sound like robots during interviews and basically all say the same thing. After a day or two of media day with the Pats I literally could tell you the answer these guys would give. BB runs a business like tight ship where Doug runs a hey lets have fun and win at the same time approach. I guess to compare BB to another coach how things are run look no further then good friend Chip Kelly. He tried the NE way here for 3 yrs and it ended up failing miserable. You could say the lack of success overall and no playoff wins played a part. BB has success with his approach so people aren't gonna question it. But had he not won in the first 3 yrs and Brady didn't win the SB that first year how long do you think that whole thing would've last there? My guess he would've been out within 3-4 yrs. 

Hope you didn’t minconstrue my mellow face at Chip as being towards Taylor! Just the thought of thanking Chip for something that had to with this win is a little :X  . 

;)  
Look on the bright side if it wasn't for Chip trading for Bradford and signing all those players Howie Dumped we'd never have Carson Wentz or Derrick Barnett.  :shrug:

Mike Grohl is also tabbed for OC. Pat Downey (I believe that's his name) is a lead for the QB Coach
heard a funny rumor of Eagles' thinking od MacAdoo for OC (yeah i know i spelled it wrong). would be funny since the sports media was pulling for him over Doug

So I was thinking about this yesterday and why Doug is so good at 2nd half adjustments coming out of the half. Then it hit me. In Doug's last year with KC as the OC in the final 8 games I believe plus playoffs Andy Reid handed Doug playing calling duties in the 2nd half of games to make him a more desirable coaching candidate. With Andy Calling First half Doug probably got a nice rare experience many coaches don't get where he knows going into the 3rd QTR he's calling plays. I think this little thing was huge for him as now when he calls plays the whole game he knows certain things to look for maybe he wouldn't have if he didn't get that experience under Big Red. This is just another one of those little attention to minor details that I think have made Doug Pederson the coach he is today. 

Side thought. Remember when we should have drafted Rueben Foster? He had a nice run lol
2nd arrest within the last month. I'm ok with these guys being arrested for Pot and what I mean is that's not something I worry about unless they have enough to be charged with attempt to sell. However Domestic Violence that's a whole different story. Glad we didn't take him. 

I jst read that Groh played QB in college and was a QB coach at Louisville. I love what he was able to do with the WRs this year, would love him getting promoted to QB coach.

So interesting combo here of athletes. At my local Card shop where Kelce was on Friday Saturday Afternoon was Wildthing Mitch Williams who I met at BC Collectibles that use to be in my shopping center yrs ago. My Nickname was after him and Ricky Vaughn of Major League Movie fame when I played. He was pretty happy when he heard that the first time he met me. Mitch always seemed like a cool guy which is why I was shocked about the whole him and the umpire moment. I guess he still had a little 93 left in him. Either way Corey Clement was right after him and the thing sold out. This might have explained my stores 8 call outs cashier wise alone yesterday. 

I always wondered if that is considered a promotion. He’s done well with WR’s no doubt but it’s good that he has a QB coach background as well. 
No idea. Lateral promotion? Impress chicks with new business cards? 

I barely have an idea of what position coaches do, day-to-day. Which is why I have no idea if Duce is a good fit for promoting to OC, even though he’s been with us forever. 

I love the Barnett pick but it’s fair to assume that the Foster book hasn’t been fully written.

ETA: Oof didn’t see his arrest report.
BREAKING: On top of domestic-violence allegation, @49ers linebacker Reuben Foster was arrested booked on suspicion of possessing an assault rifle
@mercnews

I always wondered if that is considered a promotion. He’s done well with WR’s no doubt but it’s good that he has a QB coach background as well. 
I've noticed certain coaches are great at coaching other position players do to a position that they played or coached prior in their career or early yrs when they were still an athlete. It's not just football either. I had a basketball coach who use to play PG and we had a really good SF similar to a Scottie Pippen/Lebron type who could handle the ball and bring it up court and be a playmaker. It really helped this kid learn about passing at the right time, setting up our offense etc. I played PG but I was more of a 3 and D guy. I knew the plays and all but our SF do to his handles and how great of a passer he was was our defacto PG when on offense for the most part. One of my Travel coaches was our pitching coach but had played catcher all through school. It's not just lower levels of sports though but pros as well. 

Was it his shoulder or character that made him slide to the end of the first found? I ❤️ Howie and Douglas. They draft ballers.
I thought it was his character but when he had the shoulder injury that really put the nail in the coffin persay on his stock. Red Flags on Character plus a shoulder injury or having a major injury really is a kiss of death as an athlete prospect in any draft. 

No idea. Lateral promotion? Impress chicks with new business cards? 

I barely have an idea of what position coaches do, day-to-day. Which is why I have no idea if Duce is a good fit for promoting to OC, even though he’s been with us forever. 
good question, but if anything i think it shows a coach is able to work with more than just the WR position. 

Man cave, here I come!!
I’ve noticed so many more things after re-watching it 7 times. :lol:  

-As the play happened I was screaming for Agholor to just lay down instead of going out of bounds with 2:37 to go. By watching the replay It either goes to the two minute warning or NE uses their 2nd timeout sooner. Really bad mistake by him. 

-The other play that really gets me is the fumble by Amendola that was ruled down at around the 11:00 minute mark of the fourth quarter. There were no whistles until the ball came out and he definitely wasn’t down. I’m assuming they called forward progress stopped, but that was a big break for them. 

-still amazes me that there were three more possessions after the Ertz TD when I was hoping they could end the game on that drive. 

I’ve noticed so many more things after re-watching it 7 times. :lol:  

-As the play happened I was screaming for Agholor to just lay down instead of going out of bounds with 2:37 to go. By watching the replay It either goes to the two minute warning or NE used their 2nd timeout.

-The other play that really gets me is the fumble by Amendola that was ruled down at around the 11:00 minute mark of the fourth quarter. There were no whistles until the ball came out and he definitely wasn’t down. I’m assuming they called forward progress stopped, but that was a big break for them. 

-still amazes me that there were three more possessions after the Ertz TD. Craziness. 
That was the play after watching SoundFX I noticed that he really did fumble. NE really did get a break. Watching it live I thought he had fumbled it. Perhaps the ref thought he was Out of Bounds too? Only other thing besides Progress stopped was called for it not to be. Definitely something I wouldn't have minded a challenge on. 

Users who are viewing this thread