What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Megaton's Million $$ Day Trading Crypto Fantasy** Official Thread (1 Viewer)

You're missing the point.  The experiment here is to make a million dollars in a year's time.  He is not going to do that picking a few and holding them with an initial 4k investment.  Especially when you consider most coins move relative to bitcoin's price anyway.  This doesn't happen without him taking some gambles and playing the volatility.  
Well that's not totally true. It's unlikely as hell, but let's say he goes all in on xvg, poe, bat, or some other cheap alt coin with major potential. If they have a run like etherium did the past 1-2 years, that's a million. Heck, it could be 2 million+ if it mirrors the highs of eth.

Yeah, it's unlikely, but craziness can happen in this field. We've seen it more than once. 

I think Megaton's best chance to hit it big is buying, holding, and hoping. I'm not dismissing his ability to eek out a profit day trading, but if there's any real insane growth I think he'd end up trading out of it before the insanity hit a monster bull. Either way I'm rooting for him to give us an entertaining thread. 

Well that's not totally true. It's unlikely as hell, but let's say he goes all in on xvg, poe, bat, or some other cheap alt coin with major potential. If they have a run like etherium did the past 1-2 years, that's a million. Heck, it could be 2 million+ if it mirrors the highs of eth.

Yeah, it's unlikely, but craziness can happen in this field. We've seen it more than once. 

I think Megaton's best chance to hit it big is buying, holding, and hoping. I'm not dismissing his ability to eek out a profit day trading, but if there's any real insane growth I think he'd end up trading out of it before the insanity hit a monster bull. Either way I'm rooting for him to give us an entertaining thread. 
Even with that being the case, simply holding while the market tanks isn't as profitable as exiting the market and re-entering before it goes on another bull run.  If one of us managed to dodge the China collapse and hopped back into crypto at the right time, exited a few tops and bought in on a few lows that's upwards of a 20x gain in itself.  Let alone catching some nice waves on the hype coins that pop up every so often.  

Let's take Ethereum for example.  Sure, if you had bought a thousand of them at $1.00 and sold at $1427 late last year you'd be a 1.427 millionaire.  You'd have sold 1k either at $1427.  

But just looking at 2017 prices, if you'd sold at $395 on 6/13, bought in at $227 on 6/27, sold at $330 on 6/29, bought in at $142 on 7/16, sold at $865, and bought back in at $588 on 12/22 before finally selling at $1427 on 1/13, your eth stack would have gone from 1,000 to 1,740, 1,740 to 4,043, from 4,043 to a final tally of 5,948eth, you'd be selling them for a cool $8,489,059 dollars.  This virtually unpossible hypothetical assumes pitch perfect market timing and that selling/buying wouldn't create downward/upward price pressure itself, but you get the idea.  

$1 8/15 buy 1,000

$395 6/13 sell 1,000

$227 6/27 buy 

$330 6/29 sell

$142 7/16 buy

$865 12/21 sell

$588 12/22 buy

$1427 1/13/18 sell

There is no one crypto that doesn't offer more profit potential playing the market this way.  For mere mortals such as ourselves, buying and holding longterm is the sensible strategy.  I don't think anyone disagrees with that.  But if Megaton's on a real moon mission here he's gonna need to make some ace moves and play the high risk/reward scenarios.  Besides.  The thread's much more interesting that way.  

Bro, he's just looking out for megatons' 4 thousand dollars.  He tried daytrading once- it doesn't work.  He wants to save him the $4k because daytrading is stupid, crypto isn't even regulated.  
It is not like fc42 points are wrong.   On average, market timing stocks is a losing proposition.   Crypto is unregulated and there is a #### ton of price manipulation.   Almost every big move up on any given day is the result of an obscene increase in volume buying and is followed by a fall with an extreme increase in volume selling.   This can either be a five minute process or as long as a couple days.  Oddly, I think that this makes crypto more beatable than stocks as the price movement is more predictable in the pattern they follow.  I am coming to the point of believing that the best way to play these is using robots/programs to respond as manual responses are sometimes to slow especially if you can not provide every trade full and constant attention.   

ren hoek said:
Even with that being the case, simply holding while the market tanks isn't as profitable as exiting the market and re-entering before it goes on another bull run.  If one of us managed to dodge the China collapse and hopped back into crypto at the right time, exited a few tops and bought in on a few lows that's upwards of a 20x gain in itself.  Let alone catching some nice waves on the hype coins that pop up every so often.  

Let's take Ethereum for example.  Sure, if you had bought a thousand of them at $1.00 and sold at $1427 late last year you'd be a 1.427 millionaire.  You'd have sold 1k either at $1427.  

But just looking at 2017 prices, if you'd sold at $395 on 6/13, bought in at $227 on 6/27, sold at $330 on 6/29, bought in at $142 on 7/16, sold at $865, and bought back in at $588 on 12/22 before finally selling at $1427 on 1/13, your eth stack would have gone from 1,000 to 1,740, 1,740 to 4,043, from 4,043 to a final tally of 5,948eth, you'd be selling them for a cool $8,489,059 dollars.  This virtually unpossible hypothetical assumes pitch perfect market timing and that selling/buying wouldn't create downward/upward price pressure itself, but you get the idea.  

$1 8/15 buy 1,000

$395 6/13 sell 1,000

$227 6/27 buy 

$330 6/29 sell

$142 7/16 buy

$865 12/21 sell

$588 12/22 buy

$1427 1/13/18 sell

There is no one crypto that doesn't offer more profit potential playing the market this way.  For mere mortals such as ourselves, buying and holding longterm is the sensible strategy.  I don't think anyone disagrees with that.  But if Megaton's on a real moon mission here he's gonna need to make some ace moves and play the high risk/reward scenarios.  Besides.  The thread's much more interesting that way.  
All you have to do is perfectly time every decision?

I think I do get the idea!

Do you offer a newsletter I might subscribe to?

Users who are viewing this thread