What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pallet sales (1 Viewer)

bucksoh

Footballguy
So apparently this is a thing that my wife wants to do in her free time.  Me being the good husband that I am went to the sale and purchased one for her.  Paid $427 for the merchandise and she expects to make $1050.  So has anyone else done this and what are your experiences with this. Tia.  I will report back later on it,  if she made any money.

You mean like a Chep or Peco pallet exchange?

ETA No more than 15 for the pallet and I want 10 back on the exchange.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc resales their product to liquidators instead of restocking their shelves.  They put it on pallets and then sale their merchandise.  So for instance we got two futons, x box, Sony PlayStation 4, 2 gaming chairs, a couple heaters, etc.

In my part of the country, they give pallets away for free.   Puttem out right there by the side of the road for anyone to take.   Light those babies up in the back yard in the old fire pit.   

In my part of the country, they give pallets away for free.   Puttem out right there by the side of the road for anyone to take.   Light those babies up in the back yard in the old fire pit.   
I have a friend who makes really nice furniture out of pallet wood.

bucksoh said:
So apparently this is a thing that my wife wants to do in her free time.  Me being the good husband that I am went to the sale and purchased one for her.  Paid $427 for the merchandise and she expects to make $1050.  So has anyone else done this and what are your experiences with this. Tia.  I will report back later on it,  if she made any money.
How is she planning on selling this stuff? Craigslist? Yard sale? Thousands of tiny ads?

I wish you guys well on this, but tbh sounds like you just bought a bunch of stuff the store couldn't sell (at least until you guys came around) and now somehow your wife thinks she will figure out how to. 

I have a friend who makes really nice furniture out of pallet wood.
The old fire pit don't discriminate.   I usually just throw the whole pallet in, but if your friend wants to  origami it into some furniture before paying tribute to the fire god, that's his prerogative.   

No Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc resales their product to liquidators instead of restocking their shelves.  They put it on pallets and then sale SELL their merchandise.  So for instance we got two futons, x box, Sony PlayStation 4, 2 gaming chairs, a couple heaters, etc.
You don't Sale something. You sell something. 

A Sale is an event. Sell is a verb. 

I'm not sure why this seems to be spreading but please don't be one of those people, GB! :banned: :)  

Are these grade A or grade B pallets?

Be aware that US (North American) pallets are slightly different than European pallets.

No Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc resales their product to liquidators instead of restocking their shelves.  They put it on pallets and then sale their merchandise.  So for instance we got two futons, x box, Sony PlayStation 4, 2 gaming chairs, a couple heaters, etc.
Better than getting involved in an MLM scheme, I guess.  :shrug:

How does this work? Do you pick/bid on which pallet you want based on the stuff you see or is it randomly selected? 

Better than getting involved in an MLM scheme, I guess.  :shrug:

How does this work? Do you pick/bid on which pallet you want based on the stuff you see or is it randomly selected? 
Do you have to pick up the pallet? Is there additional shipping charges if not? Is that $1050 gross or net?

Curious minds need to know.

I have not done it but I do know a few ppl that do this as a primary source of income (and they do pretty well).  They purchase pallets  weekly and have spots set up at local swap meets/flee markets.  They have warehouses where they store their items and have full on box trucks they use to set up at various locations.  I'm not sure how well this type of business would translate onto a smaller scale- but if you purchased decent pallets- my guess is that you could utilize ebay/craigslist/garage sales to make some money. The question is if the profit made is worth the time spent. Also- you'd have to be very diligent with inventory control as you could start to look like hoarders if you keep buying new pallets before completely selling through older ones. 

@jvdesigns2002 has it right. There's a certain percentage of a pallet that isn't going to sell, or not for the price you're thinking, and depending on the types of pallets (returns vs overstocks) you could be in for a fair amount of scrap/waste/trash for broken or damaged goods.

There's two large operations in my neck of the woods that do this. One buys Amazon/walmart/wayfair/etc. returns. It use to be some decent stuff, but now they're either buying the rejects or something as more than 50% is pure trash. The second operation buy strictly from Amazon and only buy overstock goods or goods damaged in Amazon's warehouse. Talked to the guy about it a few times, and as he puts it, it's a way to make a living, but there's good and bad. There's a lot of forklift caused damage, and a fair amount of dropped on one corner stuff, but there's also a bunch of perfectly good stuff too. Between these two I've furnished over 50% of my house, so there's a market out there.

On a small scale I've got to thing the time investment will kill you.

You don't Sale something. You sell something. 

A Sale is an event. Sell is a verb. 

I'm not sure why this seems to be spreading but please don't be one of those people, GB! :banned: :)  
He may have meant "sell".  It's Ohio-speak ...mostly southern Ohio anyway.  

bucksoh said:
Curious how this ends up. 

Shipping and serialization are your issues here. The big items are going to cost an arm and a leg to ship (a futon) without a decent contact for LTL shipping.

The XBOX and the PS4 will be serialized and have to be RTV'd down to the serial #. There's no after market service and you have to sell as is. If you sell new in box on Amazon, you might catch heat as an unauthorized reseller (unlikely if just one item up for sale).

How is she planning on selling this stuff? Craigslist? Yard sale? Thousands of tiny ads?

I wish you guys well on this, but tbh sounds like you just bought a bunch of stuff the store couldn't sell (at least until you guys came around) and now somehow your wife thinks she will figure out how to. 
Facebook is a hell of a thing around here.  So far she recouped the money and gas money it took to get there.

I found a place in town that buys these then auctions them off in pieces. Got a brand new top of the line Shark vacuum for $45, retail $300.  Also a brand new stainless mini fridge for $55, retail $269.  I have a couple bids in now for some new contemporary ceiling fans.  There's some great deals. Wish I didn't just buy a bunch of new furniture. 

Considering it's the lowest grade of lumber that comes out of a tree it can't be that nice. 
They usually make worthless crap out of it.  Kid was doing it for a while to make money, but I put a stop to it when he wanted to do craft shows.

Not true. I have a friend that made a bar out pallets and it was (he moved) awesome looking. 
i'm sure you can make something that looks nice out of lowgrade lumber.   what i mean is that particular grade has the biggest knots, most grain, most splits, weakest structural integrity and most defects of any piece of lumber that came out of that tree.   Its the dog food of the lumber biz, yes its still technically "food" but barely.

typically furniture grade lumber is one of the highest grades of lumber coming out of a tree.    You're basically comparing a ferrari to a pinto

Facebook is a hell of a thing around here.  So far she recouped the money and gas money it took to get there.
:thumbup:

nice work, bucksoh-wife

eta: how many times did she get FB murdered?

i'm sure you can make something that looks nice out of lowgrade lumber.   what i mean is that particular grade has the biggest knots, most grain, most splits, weakest structural integrity and most defects of any piece of lumber that came out of that tree.   Its the dog food of the lumber biz, yes its still technically "food" but barely.

typically furniture grade lumber is one of the highest grades of lumber coming out of a tree.    You're basically comparing a ferrari to a pinto
There days people are throwing a block of wood that was used to decapitate animals in their family room and calling it a coffee table so I guess it's all the style you're into.  Also, well played Restoration Hardware.

Jared: “So I gotta curtain rod here that’s a coupla bucks. 

Here’s a comforter, that’s a $20 spot.

This new-ish safe is barely scratched. $100 bucks. 

Box of DVD’s...Apollo 13, Jurassic Park, Scorpion King. Those are blockbusters! $5 a piece. Gotta be 100 of ‘em. That’s $500 easy! We’re making money right there.

This loveseat here we can move all day back at the shop. $200. And we’re just getting started.”

Brandi :wub: : Oh Jared. 

Update?

She's really good about not purchasing stuff without my permission.
Gold Jerry! Lets discuss this aspect of your relationship more. What else does she need your permission for? Have you ever disciplined her?

Users who are viewing this thread