What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ronald Jones II or Sony Michel in dynasty? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
I know landing spots will determine a lot, but as of right now which one would you rather have on your dynasty team?  I predict both will go top 5 in most PPR dynasty drafts.

Ronald Jones II - Great speed and vision.  The scouting report says he has reliable hands, but was used as a check down option.. Not a big guy and lacks in pass protection, which could affect his role at the next level.  Won't get a lot of yards after contact.   Overall, this is an explosive athlete capable of generating big plays. The fact he can work between the tackles and to the edge makes him a versatile player.  Some have compared him to Jamaal Charles. 

Sony Michel - well built RB with good burst and vision.  Very productive sharing the ball with Chubb.   Low mileage. He fumbles too much. Questionable as a receiver, but I think he will do fine catching the ball at the NFL level.  His size, pass protection and ability to create yardage make him a natural fit as a future NFL starter.

Landing spot will absolutely matter and to a far lesser extent the combine but I've had Jones as RB3 for a few months now so him.

The 2.5 year age gap also matters in the equation especially when considering how RJ was able to add more size to his frame this past off-season.

Rotoworld lists them like this

Michel - 5'11 208

Jones - 6'1 195

I'd be pretty surprised if Jones measures in that tall and skinny.  I heard this remark "I was talking to his coaches and they said he played in the 210-215 range".  Can't remember where I heard that though.  They're the same size and yet Michel can handle the load?  Ronald Jones for me, he's my RB2 but Michel is RB5 so not far off and both in tier2 for me.  I like Jones more because of what he's proven with a workload where Michel was a change of pace back basically.  

Love em both, but for me Michel is better equipped to be an every down back so I’d give him the edge. 
My thoughts as well.  Michel has the lower body build that you want to see.  Michel is also the better blocker and receiver right now.  I do think Jones could have more upside as a runner, however.

As the owner of our FFPC #3 pick, I've been debating this for weeks. As has been stated, combine results and landing spots will drive considerable change in our February expectations. I think Jones looks better on paper but Michel really produced in the bowl games, especially against NFL caliber talent vs Bama. This is a tough choice.

Ronald Jones for me if we don't know landing spot. I see Sony as more of a Kamara-type, in so far as he needs a good landing spot. But I think Jones is much more versatile.

Also, the fumble difference.

Rotoworld lists them like this

Michel - 5'11 208

Jones - 6'1 195

I'd be pretty surprised if Jones measures in that tall and skinny.  I heard this remark "I was talking to his coaches and they said he played in the 210-215 range".  Can't remember where I heard that though.  They're the same size and yet Michel can handle the load?  Ronald Jones for me, he's my RB2 but Michel is RB5 so not far off and both in tier2 for me.  I like Jones more because of what he's proven with a workload where Michel was a change of pace back basically.  
They're not the same size at all.  Just looking at them, Michel is clearly more compact and stout.  I'm not sure if Jones could bulk up to 215, but would bet my 401K that he didn't play anywhere near that weight.  I like him, but he's skinny.

Ronald Jones for me if we don't know landing spot. I see Sony as more of a Kamara-type, in so far as he needs a good landing spot. But I think Jones is much more versatile.

Also, the fumble difference.
If you don't mind sharing: What makes Michel need a good landing spot?  And what makes Jones more versatile?

This will be totally based on their situation...I have them as a dead-heat and will simply let the actual draft decide for me...

Great question. It's one that most owners of 1.03 will be faced with (2 QB/superflex as the exception). 

With what we know now I lean towards Michel, but combine and landing spot may cause me to flip back and forth between them. 

Jones is 6' 200 lbs, was mainly used as an inside runner, and has 32 catches in three years.  All of that makes me nervous.  

I am going Jones. He did way more with way less of a team around him. Acceleration and age factor in also

But situation is going to be separator for all of these guys including Guice. Anyone can move ahead if he goes in second to bad spot. They are all  that close in the end and evaluations outside of Barkley are all over the place right now. I have seen all but Chubb in first rounds of draft. I have seen all four go in second. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think RJ has elite speed and Michel is built better

It's a coin flip until combine and draft, but I'd rather have RJ in dynasty right this moment

Jones by a considerable margin for me.  He would have to end up in a really bad spot for me to move Michel ahead of him.  If this was 5 years ago I’d worry more about Jones size but I don’t think it’s as big a factor now.  Jones is simply electric with the ball in his hands 

JohnnyU said:
I know landing spots will determine a lot, but as of right now which one would you rather have on your dynasty team?  I predict both will go top 5 in most PPR dynasty drafts.

Ronald Jones II - Great speed and vision.  The scouting report says he has reliable hands, but was used as a check down option.. Not a big guy and lacks in pass protection, which could affect his role at the next level.  Won't get a lot of yards after contact.   Overall, this is an explosive athlete capable of generating big plays. The fact he can work between the tackles and to the edge makes him a versatile player.  Some have compared him to Jamaal Charles. 

Sony Michel - well built RB with good burst and vision.  Very productive sharing the ball with Chubb.   Low mileage. He fumbles too much. Questionable as a receiver, but I think he will do fine catching the ball at the NFL level.  His size, pass protection and ability to create yardage make him a natural fit as a future NFL starter.
What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?
I know more about Michel and I love that he has low mileage, and I think he's safer for being an every down back.  However, Ronald Jones has a lot to like as well.  You have to like his burst and big play ability, but I do worry about him becoming a 50/50 RB.  Having said that, I do own Jones in two devy leagues.

I don't think we'll really know until the combine.  It's hard to put too much weight in any of the listed H/W.  They're too often inflated.
Let's play the "if" game then.  IF he checks in at 5'11" or 6'0" 210, and performs well at the combine what say you?  I think he'll reach these marks and prove people wrong for having him so low.  Which is fine if you don't but IF he checks in at those marks, people will still say he's too thin or can't put on more weight, when he just did it.  It's always going to be a knock on him for the rest of his career, even if he proves people wrong by adding weight.  

Let's play the "if" game then.  IF he checks in at 5'11" or 6'0" 210, and performs well at the combine what say you?  I think he'll reach these marks and prove people wrong for having him so low.  Which is fine if you don't but IF he checks in at those marks, people will still say he's too thin or can't put on more weight, when he just did it.  It's always going to be a knock on him for the rest of his career, even if he proves people wrong by adding weight.  
His frame is what it is.  He's not built like the traditional NFL RB and 10 pounds isn't going to change that.  I still value him highly, as I think he's capable of scoring meaningful fantasy points on 12-15 touches a game.  And there's always the chance that, like Charles, he'll prove able to handle a heavy workload despite his frame.  But it's still a sizable question mark.  

I have him at #4 right now, behind only Barkley, Guice, and Michel - and ahead of any WR in the class.  

I know more about Michel and I love that he has low mileage, and I think he's safer for being an every down back.  However, Ronald Jones has a lot to like as well.  You have to like his burst and big play ability, but I do worry about him becoming a 50/50 RB.  Having said that, I do own Jones in two devy leagues.
Since this topic is between the two of them I don't see the relevance since their mileage is similar but Jones with slightly less.

I would also not a agree that a RB who was not the every down back on his college team is somehow safer to to be an every down back in the NFL to a RB who was the every down back in college.

Since this topic is between the two of them I don't see the relevance since their mileage is similar but Jones with slightly less.

I would also not a agree that a RB who was not the every down back on his college team is somehow safer to to be an every down back in the NFL to a RB who was the every down back in college.
The low mileage comment about Michel was purely related to him being a part-time back at Georgia because of Chubb and that is a positive for Michel.  That's not saying low mileage doesn't apply to Jones. When talking about Michel being a less risky bet for full-time work in the NFL, it's because of his build and ability to pass protect.  Something that are red flags for Jones, especially the pass protect part.

His frame is what it is.  He's not built like the traditional NFL RB and 10 pounds isn't going to change that.  I still value him highly, as I think he's capable of scoring meaningful fantasy points on 12-15 touches a game.  And there's always the chance that, like Charles, he'll prove able to handle a heavy workload despite his frame.  But it's still a sizable question mark.  

I have him at #4 right now, behind only Barkley, Guice, and Michel - and ahead of any WR in the class.  
Fair enough, his frame is a lot like Melvin Gordon to me.  A little bulkier than Charles and more suited to workload potential.  

Why everyone thinks it’s so easy to toss a Jamaal Charles comparison on a back who is 200lbs I’ll never know. Guy ran a sub 4.4. I wouldn’t bet on even the fastest players coming out of college to do that. Most players say they can and they simply can not. Jones lack of production in the passing game for his size is a major concern. Right now I have a huge red flag over him and would consider him Paul Perkins until he can prove otherwise in the combine. He absolutely can not run slower then 4.4 if he is not going to be a pass catching threat or take three years to develop into one.

Why everyone thinks it’s so easy to toss a Jamaal Charles comparison on a back who is 200lbs I’ll never know. Guy ran a sub 4.4. I wouldn’t bet on even the fastest players coming out of college to do that. Most players say they can and they simply can not. Jones lack of production in the passing game for his size is a major concern. Right now I have a huge red flag over him and would consider him Paul Perkins until he can prove otherwise in the combine. He absolutely can not run slower then 4.4 if he is not going to be a pass catching threat or take three years to develop into one.
What does he have in common with Paul Perkins?

Who compared him to Charles, outside of frame?
https://www.google.com/search?q=ronald+jones+jamaal+charles&rlz=1CAASUE_enUS738US738&oq=ronald+jones+jamaal+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j69i61.5440j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Quite a few people, unfortunately.

Of course, it's not Jones' fault that he gets compared to Charles.  I am guessing that the reason is that there aren't a lot of successful backs that you can find a comparison to at that frame. He looks thicker than Charles, but he's not going to last being a guy who fights for yards inside at that size. He's going to have to be a weapon in the passing game to be a fantasy force.  I'm looking forward to see him those drills at the combine.

You can’t be serious with a comp of Paul Perkins 

Right now I have a huge red flag over him and would consider him Paul Perkins until he can prove otherwise in the combine. 
Have you watched either player?  Based on the above statement I'm going to assume no.

And what will the combine tell you that the tape doesn't?  If anything, the combine is the great deceiver and rarely tells us something that the tape didn't.  

You can’t be serious with a comp of Paul Perkins 
Gtfoh. People on this board LOVED Paul Perkins coming out. You people have about 2 second memories and will easily let people compare him to Jamaal Charles without a whiff of restraint. I compare him to Perkins and everyone loses their mind. Perkins is probably his worst case scenario. It LOOKS like he has more speed then Perkins but I don’t trust that especially in highlights against Western Michigan. If he runs sub 4.4 I’ll be singing a bit of a different tune. I will say that even if his athleticism aligns with Charles it will also compare to CJ Spiller and Reggie Bush, two backs who had erratic, yet productive careers and he has not shown the pass catching accumen of either of those backs (nor Perkins for that matter).  

Have you watched either player?  Based on the above statement I'm going to assume no.

And what will the combine tell you that the tape doesn't?  If anything, the combine is the great deceiver and rarely tells us something that the tape didn't.  
That’s very false. The group think on this board is strong. The combine confirms things and is a strong tool to confirm or reject what is thought. Obviously he has good production on the ground and has produced flashy highlights. If he runs a 4.5 it’s going to be a major red flag. With his size he needs to run a 4.4 and preferably a sub 4.4. He needs to have elite athletic skills or the players he starts aligning with athletically have a high level of failure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn’t Somy’s age worry anyone? I think where he lands is more important than Jones. If both land in RBBC hell or behind an established starter, by the time that clears out the window for Sony is only a few years before he starts receiving AARP offers.

Gtfoh. People on this board LOVED Paul Perkins coming out.  

I just had to check the Perkins thread after reading this comment because I didn’t recall that being the case at all.  There were somewhere around 3-4 people on this board who LOVED Perkins coming out.  Everyone else seemed to identify shortcomings or had reservations about him, even those who thought favorably of him.

Doesn’t Somy’s age worry anyone? I think where he lands is more important than Jones. If both land in RBBC hell or behind an established starter, by the time that clears out the window for Sony is only a few years before he starts receiving AARP offers.
Yes his age is a negative factor for me.  Not so much due to career longevity but trade value.  You see guys like Bell and D.J. start to lose trade value now even though they likely have 4+ years left, just because they are 26 now.   Barkley, Guice and Jones are all very young so their trade value will stay higher for much longer (assuming comparable production).  I tend to favor the Patriots model of trading a guy before his value drops (and maybe missing out on an elite season or two) so that matters more to me.  

That’s very false. The group think on this board is strong. The combine confirms things and is a strong tool to confirm or reject what is thought. Obviously he has good production on the ground and has produced flashy highlights. If he runs a 4.5 it’s going to be a major red flag. With his size he needs to run a 4.4 and preferably a sub 4.4. He needs to have elite athletic skills or the players he starts aligning with athletically have a high level of failure.
I  think you're absolutely right that the combine is crucial for Jones.  I don't totally agree with you about the player comp because Perkins' best trait was his elusiveness, and that didn't end up working with the giants o line at all.  

With Jones I think his elite trait is his acceleration, not his speed. I don't think he has the best vision, power, or receiving ability, but I do think all 3 could be very good. 

His weight speed and 3 cone matter a lot to me.  If he weighs in at 185, forget it. But if he comes in at 210, I want to see that he still has the acceleration that made him so good coming out of his cuts. More likely he'll be around 195 to 205, and be big enough to start. 

I'm not usually as big on nfl draft order but if he ends up going in the 4th, I'm out, too. Or to a terrible spot. 

Right now though I'm very high on him, and if he runs a 4.4 with good sub 7 3 cone at 200 plus and ends up going in the first or second round to a team where he could potentially start right away, I might like him better than guice. 

His weight speed and 3 cone matter a lot to me.  If he weighs in at 185, forget it. But if he comes in at 210, I want to see that he still has the acceleration that made him so good coming out of his cuts. More likely he'll be around 195 to 205, and be big enough to start. 
He was 185 in high school. He played last season between 207-210, so if you liked the acceleration you saw this past season you already got your answer.

He was 185 in high school. He played last season between 207-210, so if you liked the acceleration you saw this past season you already got your answer.
Right, i agree.   But there's a difference between the school saying he weighed 207 to 210, and him actually weighing that all year.  If he played at 210 the whole season and looked as good as he did, I'm all in.

So I'm looking to the combine and his weight and 3 cone and 40 to confirm what the school said and my eyes saw, because I'd expect him to put up good 3 cone numbers and a decent 40 at 210 lbs. If he is heavier but slower, or lighter but still quick/fast, I'll be less enthusiastic. 195 is about the lowest I'd still have interest and his metrics would have to blow me away. 

This is why the combine will be the most important for Jones over any of the other backs. If he is 200 he needs to have top level athleticism given that size and his previous lack of involvement in the passing game (from what I’ve seen he can catch so I don’t necessarily weigh this against him but it does suggest that he may need time to develop as an NFL satellite). It does cut both ways though. If he ends up near 210 he doesn’t necessarily need top end straight line/long speed but I would be looking for high end agility and burst.

Right, i agree.   But there's a difference between the school saying he weighed 207 to 210, and him actually weighing that all year.  If he played at 210 the whole season and looked as good as he did, I'm all in.
Was not just the schoool who said that. Multiple reports, to many to link. Also from game one it was clearly evident that a player listed at 195 the previous season was bigger. He was at least 207 last year, that's real.

This is why the combine will be the most important for Jones over any of the other backs. If he is 200 he needs to have top level athleticism given that size and his previous lack of involvement in the passing game (from what I’ve seen he can catch so I don’t necessarily weigh this against him but it does suggest that he may need time to develop as an NFL satellite). It does cut both ways though. If he ends up near 210 he doesn’t necessarily need top end straight line/long speed but I would be looking for high end agility and burst.
He bulked up to 207 plus last year and had great results so I doubt he decided it would be a good idea to shed weight for the combine. In other words I got zero worries he is 200 pounds.

Now maybe you are like Bostonfred and just don't believe it until you see combine weigh-in. That is your call but to that I'd say if you want to look at it that way and not want to belive the player, school or multiple reports then why believe any player's height/weight until combine measurements? Why believe Barkley is 230 and not 215 if we are not going to believe player, school or multiple reports?

Users who are viewing this thread