What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (7 Viewers)

That logic does not really follow. Sure teams would take a chance for free (when they're looking to add camp bodies), but that doesn't mean they'd even be willing to give a conditional pick for him. I would imagine he did at least make a few calls but if he did not it would not bother me a bit.

People really go out of their way with illogical leaps to bash Gase - maybe he deserves it, but it makes me root for him harder. I mean are we really going to give him grief for releasing a clear bust? The guy's college nickname was "Lazy" Leggette for pete's sake. Any other GM cuts him you wouldn't hear a peep.
It's funny that people are bashing Gase. We should erect a statue of him for helping us get rid of Maccant. Throw in a parade, too.  Sure, we'll tear his statue down eventually, but let's live for today. Maccagnan was awful.  Any GM will be an improvement. If we get Douglass, then it will be even greater.

Great hire. To go from Maccan't to a donkey would have been a huge upgrade. To get Douglas seems like a coup.  He has a great pedigree with past experience in Baltimore and Philly. No go get us some CB and O-line help. 

I’m very pleased with how this turned out - wish it happened simultaneously with Bowles firing but I’ll take it. I don’t think Mac screwed up this offseason all that much but outside of Williams his draft picks could end up being worthless (which is par for the course with him).

Its time to move forward with two very good football minds running the show - it may not work out and I get the reservations with Gase, but this is the most confident I’ve been in a while that they have people in place that know what they are doing.

I’m very pleased with how this turned out - wish it happened simultaneously with Bowles firing but I’ll take it. I don’t think Mac screwed up this offseason all that much but outside of Williams his draft picks could end up being worthless (which is par for the course with him).

Its time to move forward with two very good football minds running the show - it may not work out and I get the reservations with Gase, but this is the most confident I’ve been in a while that they have people in place that know what they are doing.
Well we had a boatload of cash and still didn't get a center or CB. That was a big fail.  We still have the cash to sign Claiborne if he's healthy and our new DC likes him. It shouldn't cost much.  Center is another story.  I have a feeling this GM will make a trade or two. He actually values the 0-line.

As far as the draft picks go, who knows, but we can all take good guesses as to the outcome given McCan'ts past history.

Well we had a boatload of cash and still didn't get a center or CB. That was a big fail.  We still have the cash to sign Claiborne if he's healthy and our new DC likes him. It shouldn't cost much.  Center is another story.  I have a feeling this GM will make a trade or two. He actually values the 0-line.

As far as the draft picks go, who knows, but we can all take good guesses as to the outcome given McCan'ts past history.
Yeah I’m not saying he nailed free agency - we both were screaming for them to sign a center - and honestly all he did was grossly overpay Bell and Mosley to land them, but at least he added a few impact players.

His draft could pan out but he took some tremendously risky players. I could honestly see none besides Williams ever contributing anything meaningful to the team. Let’s hope he got lucky with a few at least.

Jets took so much criticism for firing Mac after the draft, but haven’t heard a peep about Houston doing the same thing.
So true, but let's be honest here. The Jets have been a media & fan target for quite a while now. For good reason, but it's crossed the line of deserving it. Every move is ridiculed and will be until the Jets start winning. It is what it is.

Frankly, I don't care about the lazy and often inaccurate piling on. Who cares what other people think. I feel great about the team right now. 

I didn't want Gase and despite the press conference crazy eyes disaster and power grab narrative, based on the mini-camp, you can already see that he's a huge upgrade to zombie Bowles. Darnold even appreciated that Gase yelled at him in practice. Gase will push these players to play better.  Now, I'm not saying the Gase is going to be great, but the people that will immediately jump in and point out his record in Miami will ignore that he had Ryan Tannehill at QB and a ton of injuries. That offensive talent was garbage.

If Gase got Mac fired, then we also owe him for this GM upgrade. Mac was awful. Bottom 5 GM without a doubt.

Douglas will need to find another CB and upgrade the o-line both for this season and in the long run. One thing is for sure, you know Douglas will not ignore the o-line like Mac did. I can see him making a trade or two. He will probably dump a couple of more of Mac's draft misses.

He's also going to have to decide what to do about Leonard Williams and Robbie Anderson, both free agents going forward.  They probably won't be worth the price they command next season. Will he trade them or trying to lock them up cheaper now? We'll see.

ok Ive cooled off after being so pissed about the Mac circus....agree with a lot of points made here...it was ridiculous how they got here but I have to admit I feel a lot better with Douglas running the show....he seems to be his own man and with a longer contract than Gase.  I think he will work well with Gase but not be controlled which is important.  As a former OL I am confident he will see the value of building the OL - which I think was big part of why MAc was canned....Im more than fine to bring in McShay who would bring some savy media experience and draft knowledge along with Savage whose been in trenches before...

I still think it was dumb to have MAc run the offseason FA/draft....maybe Douglas wouldnt have taken the job when Bowles was fired so its a blessing in disguise - but Douglas has a built in excuse for a 2-3 yr mulligan as he is somewhat trapped in by MAc's offseason....he should get a longer deal.  

I would expect some mid level moves to be made before camp - I cant see him allowing the center position to not be upgraded. They have about $28M in cap and need just under $10M to sign draft picks...That leaves $18M...Mac loved to hoard that space and roll it into next year.  Figure $8M is a good number for just in case signings and to roll into next yr so that gives them about $10M to play with which should be enough for a center and maybe Mo Claiborne/CB help.  

They are at $46M next yr - if they roll $8M into it and cut Brian Winters to free up another $7.5M and redo Ose's contract to at least spread out a bit - I have them around $63M - but keep in mind thats without Leonard Williams who if he has  monster season will be $15M+ and no LT which will easily run $10M+ so it wont be a shopping spree like this year.  Also interesting that the Eagles gave Wentz a monster extension despite being hurt a lot and not expiring - thats the Eagle way and its smart.... I can see Douglas locking in Sam well before yr 5 if he shows the improvement to be a franchise QB.  

I have made my peace with Gase and am enjoying seeing focus spent on the offense along with some lively practices and coaching....it's going to be a welcome change....but it all comes down to winning....Douglas will survive a Gase flop....Gase probably gets at least 3 yrs as long as Sam develops....as many said above - it was  backwards dysfunctional way to get here but it certainly looks like they upgraded all around....but this is the Jets we are talking about so nothing is easy!  

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Douglas came off great today.  A complete opposite of the Gase presser.  He's got more charisma than Macc, Idzik, and Tannenbaum combined. Very refreshing press conference.  Definitely a good start (for a change).

I thought Douglas came off great today.  A complete opposite of the Gase presser.  He's got more charisma than Macc, Idzik, and Tannenbaum combined. Very refreshing press conference.  Definitely a good start (for a change).
Indeed. It's early of course, but it seems like they might finally have some stability, accountability, and professionalism.

So thrilled with this development I can't even express it. Let's hope this guy comes as billed and adds some stability (as mentioned right above) and forward-thinking to the organization. 

Plus if there's ever a GM Battle Royale, I like his chances to come out on top.

Allegedly Champ Kelly is coming in to be his assistant GM. He's also highly regarded. This off-season would be a coup.
That's awesome. Very much looking forward to a competent front office. Let's hope Woody Johnson stays out of the way. He sure hired the right guy by all accounts. 

Jets fans... any insight on Greg Dortch? Seems like he has a pretty good shot at making the team. Crowder is good enough to not get beat out by an UDFA, but hes had his fair share of nagging injuries. 

Jets fans... any insight on Greg Dortch? Seems like he has a pretty good shot at making the team. Crowder is good enough to not get beat out by an UDFA, but hes had his fair share of nagging injuries. 
I haven't read too much about him but the Jets have a lot of WRs in camp and Enunwa could also move back into the slot if Crowder went down.

Some more great hires for our organization today.  We have upgraded severely this offseason.
It never feels right having hope about this organization - we are just so trained to have the rug pulled out from under us - but I'm feeling really good about the direction the team is taking. There's been a lot of buzz about Darnold and I really can see him taking that next step with what looks to be the best set of weapons the team has seen since Marshall and Decker were here. They could still use a true No. 1 WR but the combination of Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Herndon, Wesco and Bell is a step in the right direction.

I just hope they can plug together some o-line for this season to really give Sam a chance.

The defense has a shot at being top 10 and is a corner away from being potentially special (I'm assuming Greg Williams can scheme a decent pass rush and that Quintin Williams' push up the middle will help).

We now have what looks to be a real GM and scouting staff in place. I'll have to hold out some hope that Gase learned from his time in Miami and will make some adjustments but I like what the coaching staff looks like as well.

And we're off on the 2019 season!! I'm cautiously optimistic that this team should at least be in the mix for a playoff spot as long as Darnold develops, and I'm very confident he will.

Things I'll be looking for in camp:

• How does Trevon Wesco look and/or who steps up to replace Herndon during the early difficult schedule;
  • Who wins the CB slot opposite Trumaine Johnson (who did not light the world on fire himself last season);
  • Which young WRs slot in behind Crowder, Enunwa and Anderson: Bellamy, Peake, Burnett, Dortch?;
  • Can Jonathan Harrison hold up as the starting center?;
  • Can Polite step up as a legit pass rusher or are Williams and Williams enough of a push?;
  • Will Marcus Maye ever stay healthy?;
  • QB2, Siemian or Webb?

With all that said obviously this season and the next few come down to Sam Darnold - let's do it Sammy!

Jets signed TE Ryan Griffin, formerly of the Texans.

Griffin is merely insurance as the team attempts to ready for Chris Herndon's four-game suspension out the gates. Cut by the Texans following an arrest in April, Griffin's misdemeanor vandalism and public intoxication cases were both dismissed in May. He'll compete with Eric Tomlinson, Daniel Brown, and Trevon Wesco for a starting role while Herndon is sidelined.
I liked this guy the little I saw him play with the Texans - hopefully he helps early in the season and provides some depth and another weapon when Herndon comes back.

ESPN's Rich Cimini believes Elijah McGuire is the odd man out for a roster spot in the Jets' backfield at the start of training camp.

Injuries can obviously happen, but Cimini has Le'Veon Bell and Ty Montgomery as roster locks and then Bilal Powell and Trenton Cannon winning the Nos. 3 and 4 jobs. Cannon is a stalwart on special teams, giving him the edge over McGuire. In two seasons, McGuire has compiled a meager 180-591-4 rushing line, averaging a mediocre 3.3 YPC. He turned 25 in June.
I've heard this before and I don't get it. Not that I think McGuire would be some huge loss but I'd much prefer him to a 31 year old injured Powell or Trenton Cannon who has no football instincts whatsoever.

Surprised "Quinnen Williams" isn't #1 on this list.
It seems like a minor issue keeping the sides from reaching an agreement.

As far as him as a player I feel it’s a pretty safe bet that he will be a force but honestly preseason wouldn’t convince me either way. I’d need to seem him in real game action to feel good or bad about him.

Let's get it goin!   

wouldnt be training camp for the JEts if not for major questions marks and a dumb impasse with their top pick.  

Q - I didnt understand why they dug in on Sam last yr but it worked out.....not quite as nervous as Sam on this one as non-QB missing a few practices not as big a deal....but from what I read it comes down to around $100K?  If so that is just dumb - prove your points on real issues.  Its becoming a pattern not getting top picks signed over nit picky issues....doesnt look good and doesnt help....I predict it will be over by the end of weekend.  

QB - Sam needs to come out of the gate strong - surprised to see that Semien may be losing battle for backup 

OL - very surprised JD hasnt upgraded yet - maybe hes waiting for late camp cuts.  

TE - Herndon has appealed and I think it gets cut to 2-3 games...Im intrigued by Westco but probably not realistic to expect him to contribute 1st 3 games out of the gate hence the Griffin signing

RB - I agree with above - why keep Powell who is about done over an upside kid who has shown flashes like Maguire? Cannon has looked awful too....I dont get it.  Get ready for the Bell show...praying he gets out of camp uninjured.  

WR - Really need RA and Q to step up - Crowder is the wildcard....I could see him developing a quick rapport with Sam.  

DL - Time for Williams to step up - its his yr to take next step - will be watching how he gets to the QB

LB - All about Mosely - not only does he have to play well to justify that massive contract but expect him to be the leader with Adams from the start.....definitely need a pass rush - hoping Polite can contribute but probably looking at more scheme pressure

CB - Trumain needs to wash the stank off from last yr and become the CB he is paid to be....I trust the new defensive staff to put him in a position to succeed unlike the last awful group - need to find that #2...Im not convinced hes on the team yet

S-  Adams keep balling and being heart of the team and Maye get out of the damn trainers room!

Also interested to watch the coach staff...expectations are highest its been in yrs.....improvement to 6-7 wins will not cut it - im leaning 9-7 right now but will review after camp.  

Is it really shocking that the jets are letting something stupid keep the jets from signing their top 3 pick?
Didn't we have a streak for a long time of always getting our guy signed on time? Now we're bs'ing about bonus payment schedules? Last year it was Darnold Anyway, nothing to worry about I think, but I hope Q is in there for the first practice in pads. Lots to learn.

Let's get it goin!   

wouldnt be training camp for the JEts if not for major questions marks and a dumb impasse with their top pick.  

Q - I didnt understand why they dug in on Sam last yr but it worked out.....not quite as nervous as Sam on this one as non-QB missing a few practices not as big a deal....but from what I read it comes down to around $100K?  If so that is just dumb - prove your points on real issues.  Its becoming a pattern not getting top picks signed over nit picky issues....doesnt look good and doesnt help....I predict it will be over by the end of weekend.  

One one hand, the GM is new and maybe is trying to set a precedent that he's not an easy mark. On the other hand,  it seems silly. I said something similar above.

QB - Sam needs to come out of the gate strong - surprised to see that Semien may be losing battle for backup 

Not worried about Sam at all. I have complete confidence that he's going to be a good one. I'm not surprised about Semien. He looked like a jag for Denver.

OL - very surprised JD hasnt upgraded yet - maybe hes waiting for late camp cuts.  

Not too easy to upgrade the position at this point. We'll have to wait closer to camp cuts.

TE - Herndon has appealed and I think it gets cut to 2-3 games...Im intrigued by Westco but probably not realistic to expect him to contribute 1st 3 games out of the gate hence the Griffin signing

RB - I agree with above - why keep Powell who is about done over an upside kid who has shown flashes like Maguire? Cannon has looked awful too....I dont get it.  Get ready for the Bell show...praying he gets out of camp uninjured.  

Maguire is pretty pedestrian to me and the new coaching staff has no ties. I think Montgomery could be a player for the Jets in this system spelling Bell on limited snaps. Cannon looks like poop. Powell probably is the third RB after Bell and Montgomery.

WR - Really need RA and Q to step up - Crowder is the wildcard....I could see him developing a quick rapport with Sam.  

No stars, but I think this group is underrated if it stays healthy. No depth behind the top 3 is scary. 

DL - Time for Williams to step up - its his yr to take next step - will be watching how he gets to the QB

It's pay day for Williams after this season. I'm sure that he will be motivated and will benefit from playing next to Q.

LB - All about Mosely - not only does he have to play well to justify that massive contract but expect him to be the leader with Adams from the start.....definitely need a pass rush - hoping Polite can contribute but probably looking at more scheme pressure

I think it's all about our edge guys. Can Polite make an impact? Jenkins showed a lot of pass rush improvement last year. Can he continue to improve? Copeland had some good moments.

CB - Trumain needs to wash the stank off from last yr and become the CB he is paid to be....I trust the new defensive staff to put him in a position to succeed unlike the last awful group - need to find that #2...Im not convinced hes on the team yet

S-  Adams keep balling and being heart of the team and Maye get out of the damn trainers room!

Also interested to watch the coach staff...expectations are highest its been in yrs.....improvement to 6-7 wins will not cut it - im leaning 9-7 right now but will review after camp.  

Another area to watch is our special teams now that we let our ALL PRO kicker and returner leave. Can Boyer coach up the new guys and who will they be???

NYRAGE said:
That Crowder injury sounds potentially scary.
Is it supposedly serious? I haven't seen any reports that it is. That would be tremendously disappointing as I think he'll be a big part of Sam's development.

It's so exciting to hear that Sam is having an incredible camp. He's killing it every day. We're definitely not used to this.

Bell looked rusty at first, but reports are that he's been looking great and better with each day. It's odd for our offense to be outplaying our defense.

Q Williams has looked great the past couple of days, too.  Cashman has been looking good at LB, too. 

It's not all perfect. We're not looking great at CB and covering RBs, plus we have some kicking woes (although Gase isn't planning on bringing in competition yet).

Boom - this is what Ive been waiting for.....Douglas justified the Mac firing with this one move.....zero chance Mac would have done this.....Finally a GM who understands the importance of OL....classic hold the fort guy but it was soooo needed to protect Sam....Huge upgrade IMO  

Boom - this is what Ive been waiting for.....Douglas justified the Mac firing with this one move.....zero chance Mac would have done this.....Finally a GM who understands the importance of OL....classic hold the fort guy but it was soooo needed to protect Sam....Huge upgrade IMO  
Yeah he's 34 and has suffered some injuries of late - but the team has the cap space and he's an instant upgrade and allows Harrison to be depth.

Users who are viewing this thread