What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (4 Viewers)

There will be 3 new kickers in camp by Monday.
Yup...no question about it. We'll find a good one...not worried. 

You know who's available who I'd like to have be our kicker....Matt Bryant formely of the Falcons...let's get his ### in camp Monday. I'll bet Douglass will

Yup...no question about it. We'll find a good one...not worried. 

You know who's available who I'd like to have be our kicker....Matt Bryant formely of the Falcons...let's get his ### in camp Monday. I'll bet Douglass will
Bryant is reliable for sure, but we would have to see how his old leg will do outdoors in less than ideal conditions after a career of kicking indoors. Let's see if Ross Martin gets another shot.

Well gentleman...let's see how the things I was looking for tonight turned out that I posted earlier this evening:

Couple of things I'll be looking for:

-Wouldn't mind seeing Sam make a few nice passes and move the offense down the field for the series or two that he'll be in the game.

He looked stupendous on his only series leading the team down the field for a TD. He was composed and you could actually see him going thru all the right progressions. His mobility is a an underrated part of this game.  To this day, I still thank the football gods every night that the Giants took Barkley leaving us our I'm 99% certain of this, our franchise QB we have been looking for since Broadway Joe was in his prime which was before any of us knew what a franchise QB was....lol

-Really interested in seeing how Polite looks out there. I've heard recently that his edge game has picked up past few practices...we'll see

I didn't even really notice him tonight to be honest tho I'm not sure how much he even played....not worried at all.

-Not sure how much he'll play but will be nice to see how Quinnen looks. 

I didn't even really notice him as well. Like Polite, I'm not even sure how much he played. Obviously no concerns whatsoever as he's going to be a stud...that I have no doubt about.

-I was a big fan of Mac's drafting of Cashman late on the 3rd day. Would love it if he played well and made the team.

He I noticed and what I saw was him getting his ankles almost broken on I forget what RB on the Giants juked him out. And I saw him lose a WR in coverage for a big gain. Not a very good debut from what I saw but it's just the first game. I still have hopes he'll make the team as ST guy and make an impact..we'll see.

-I'll be interested in seeing how Gase is planning on using Griffin and Wesco at TE. Sam liked going to Herndon late last year so it would be nice if one of those two emerged as a viable alternative for Darnold till Herndon gets back from suspension.

Didn't notice either of the two TE's tho not sure any of them were even targeted as I haven't looked at the stat sheet if I'm being totally honest.  Herndon tho looked really good on that one play Sam got him the ball that went for 30+ yards during that opening TD drive. I'm going to have Herndon on at least one of my two $$ teams. I like him alot this year. Crowder is another guy I might take a stab at as a later round target as I think both of them will be heavily utilized by Gase.

-I want to see which of the backup WR's emerges. I like Burnett coming out of college and the fact he played with Sam at USC was one of the reasons I wanted us to take a shot at him. Well he showed some tools last year and I'd love it if he can continue that chemistry with Darnold.

I saw Burnett targeted a few times in the beginning of the game by Siemian but not for much yardage. To be honest other than Herndon and Crowder no Jet skill position guy did anything of note.

Overall, just your basic ho hum typical preseason opener with nothing of note happening other than we gave up almost 400 yards passing. I'm sure DC Williams will be having his DB's watching alot of tape to correct whatever it was they were doing out there tonight.  I'm sure Douglass is up right now trying to figure out who he is going to try and bring in to help our corner back situation. It needs to be addressed and I'm confident that just like he did with the O-Line, Douglass will. All good here in Jetland...:)

Very happy with Sam and so we move on. This is going to be a good year boyz..I feel it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You hit the nail on the head my friend.  I played hockey for about 40 years since I was about 5. I've interned for a minor league team, I've coached, and even did some scouting...with my eyeballs. These kids are all about analytics, which I view as a supplement to the eye ball, not in lieu of the eyeball.  One popular guy on the site hates hitting and thinks it's useless, yet he has never played the game. I can only laugh. Have you ever tried making a pass with someone coming full speed and trying to smash you in the boards? You better believe it makes you release the pass quicker. Anyway, just one example of how clueless some of those young analytics experts can be.  Oh, and I voted in your poll for Panarin. You add the elite talent when you can. We'll sort out the cap as we go along.
Possibly off-topic: Another thing we have in common, besides the interning for a minor league team. Played hockey since I was five. Whaler fan, though. I agree with you about analytics in hockey: they only serve to attempt to quantify that which the eyeball test does well. It's a supplement, not a substitute to more f(x) and sport science type stuff. 

Missed the game. Will catch up on it later. 

There will be 3 new kickers in camp by Monday.
The Panthers rookie kicker Joey Slye kicked great last night.  The cats will probably keep Gano, but I wouldn't mind if they kept Slye instead. Anyway, I imagine the Jets are paying attention to the kicking competitions going on. The Chiefs signed Harrison Butker off of the Panthers practice squad two years ago when he was a rookie.

*It looks like he was a rookie last season, but nobody kept him. Here is an article on him. I hope some team keeps him.

The Panthers rookie kicker Joey Slye kicked great last night.  The cats will probably keep Gano, but I wouldn't mind if they kept Slye instead. Anyway, I imagine the Jets are paying attention to the kicking competitions going on. The Chiefs signed Harrison Butker off of the Panthers practice squad two years ago when he was a rookie.

*It looks like he was a rookie last season, but nobody kept him. Here is an article on him. I hope some team keeps him.
Interesting.

The Ravens have a potentially very good second kicker that they are looking to trade, but we already gave them our 7th rounder. He nailed 9 of 10 last year and he has a strong leg. He hit a 55 yarder last night and he can even punt. They were going to trade him last year, but was involved in a strange incident in pre-season when he was violently assaulted before he could be traded. It's a bizarre story if you read it.

I think @Maximus* mentioned Matt Bryant last night, but the problem with him is that he can't kick off. You would need to carry 2 kickers.

Possibly off-topic: Another thing we have in common, besides the interning for a minor league team. Played hockey since I was five. Whaler fan, though. I agree with you about analytics in hockey: they only serve to attempt to quantify that which the eyeball test does well. It's a supplement, not a substitute to more f(x) and sport science type stuff. 

Missed the game. Will catch up on it later. 
I had no idea. Very cool. What team? I interned for the Pensacola Ice Pilots, an ECHL team in the late 90s when I finished up school in NW Florida. Gretzky's brother was on the team at the time. So was Glen Metropolit who played for several teams in the NHL.  I also covered the team for the newspaper (and worked in their accounting dept) while I went to school. I kept busy back then.

Interesting.

The Ravens have a potentially very good second kicker that they are looking to trade, but we already gave them our 7th rounder. He nailed 9 of 10 last year and he has a strong leg. He hit a 55 yarder last night and he can even punt. They were going to trade him last year, but was involved in a strange incident in pre-season when he was violently assaulted before he could be traded. It's a bizarre story if you read it.

I think @Maximus* mentioned Matt Bryant last night, but the problem with him is that he can't kick off. You would need to carry 2 kickers.
What about our punter whose name escapes me? Maybe he could kick off.

I dunno...I just wanted a guy that was reliable from 45 and in and who maybe could pop a few from close to 50. When I saw Bryant's name available I was kind of surprised as he is the epitome of reliable over the years. 

However if what you say is true and Bryant can't kick off, than maybe I'll have to withdraw Bryant's name from consideration seeing as you say that would be a drawback.

I have complete confidence Douglass will find someone competent for us.

I had no idea. Very cool. What team? I interned for the Pensacola Ice Pilots, an ECHL team in the late 90s when I finished up school in NW Florida. Gretzky's brother was on the team at the time. So was Glen Metropolit who played for several teams in the NHL.  I also covered the team for the newspaper (and worked in their accounting dept) while I went to school. I kept busy back then.
No, I never interned for a minor league team. I said "besides," which I meant as "I never have..." My hockey experience is limited to me playing at a reasonably decent high school level  (could have played D I-AA or III way back in the very early nineties, played club in college for a DI team w/o a JV), helping out local coaches in an unofficial role at the youth and high school levels, etc. I did not get certified to coach by USAHA (or whatever it was) though I think, IIRC, that I was certified to ref youth hockey for a time.

Oh welz. Love the sport. The hockey thread in the FFA is good, if really skewed toward GM-type stuff. But they know their proverbial s over there. 

What about our punter whose name escapes me? Maybe he could kick off.

I dunno...I just wanted a guy that was reliable from 45 and in and who maybe could pop a few from close to 50. When I saw Bryant's name available I was kind of surprised as he is the epitome of reliable over the years. 

However if what you say is true and Bryant can't kick off, than maybe I'll have to withdraw Bryant's name from consideration seeing as you say that would be a drawback.

I have complete confidence Douglass will find someone competent for us.
I was a kicker in college for a brief time. Punting and kicking, while seemingly similar because of their pairing within the football universe, use totally differing muscles, the commonality being usually some sort of muscle flexibility in the leg which might carryover.

But think of one as a golf club swing with hip torque, the other as more of a quad raise event. 

eta* I see you limited your thing to kickoffs. That happens. My bad. 

Two missed extra points? Oof. A seventh for the guy from B'More, despite DocOc's protestation, doesn't seem like such a waste. 

No, I never interned for a minor league team. I said "besides," which I meant as "I never have..." My hockey experience is limited to me playing at a reasonably decent high school level  (could have played D I-AA or III way back in the very early nineties, played club in college for a DI team w/o a JV), helping out local coaches in an unofficial role at the youth and high school levels, etc. I did not get certified to coach by USAHA (or whatever it was) though I think, IIRC, that I was certified to ref youth hockey for a time.

Oh welz. Love the sport. The hockey thread in the FFA is good, if really skewed toward GM-type stuff. But they know their proverbial s over there. 
My bad, I got excited thinking that we were twins or something.  I'll need your resume of injuries. Just kidding sort of. I'm walking around for 3 weeks with a badly sprained or fractured wrist. My gf keeps trying to get me to the doctor, but I tell her that I'm used to pain. I just go for potentially life-altering events.

I know this is the Jets board but some of us like Rage and myself cross over to the Mets but huge game tonight as we open up vs the Nats at what should be an electric Citi-Field.

Bottom line: Win tonight and it takes an enormous load off of us and it puts it squarely on the Nationals backs. If we lose, than we need to win two in a row. I'd rather do it the easy way...win tonight and split the other two game. Or better yet...pull the sweeperoo but I'm not getting greedy here. Wins 2 of 3 and we move on the Braves.

That's it from here....I be pumped up. We actually have important August baseball games to look forward too...I'm still shaking my head about this seeing 3 weeks ago we were dead in the water.....amazing...simply amazing.

Heading to a buddies house...I think he and I are the only Mets fans in this part of the Philadelphia suburbs and so we'll catch you guys later on. Let's Go Mets. 

I know this is the Jets board but some of us like Rage and myself cross over to the Mets but huge game tonight as we open up vs the Nats at what should be an electric Citi-Field.

Bottom line: Win tonight and it takes an enormous load off of us and it puts it squarely on the Nationals backs. If we lose, than we need to win two in a row. I'd rather do it the easy way...win tonight and split the other two game. Or better yet...pull the sweeperoo but I'm not getting greedy here. Wins 2 of 3 and we move on the Braves.

That's it from here....I be pumped up. We actually have important August baseball games to look forward too...I'm still shaking my head about this seeing 3 weeks ago we were dead in the water.....amazing...simply amazing.

Heading to a buddies house...I think he and I are the only Mets fans in this part of the Philadelphia suburbs and so we'll catch you guys later on. Let's Go Mets. 
Have fun, man. That is a heck of a race. I'm a Red Sox fan (born in bred in Northern CT, so my Jets fandom is always a little weird -- my parents are from Fairfield/Bridgeport) but I looked at the WC standings last night and it's just jammed over in the NL. The Sox have been disappointing as of late. After a very promising start to their AL East marathon winning three straight against the Yanks, they then went and got bopped for eight straight. They'd be right in the hunt with .500 ball, but that's the catch, huh? Win .500 against the top teams in the AL and you're always in the hunt.

Maximus* said:

Last night was so great. I haven't felt that excited about these guys since the year of the World Series.

On a Jets note, they are trying out some kickers today. Blair Walsh among them.

Cantazaro has retired. Wtf.  I guess I can stop complaining about him. The Jets have signed Taylor Bertolet.
Wow. That's abrupt. I wonder what made him do that. That's walking away from millions to hang on. Unless he just knew it was for naught or something. 

eta* No pro stats for Bertolet. Going from All-Pro no no professional stats can't be good for such a high-pressure, yet valuable position. 

Wow. That's abrupt. I wonder what made him do that. That's walking away from millions to hang on. Unless he just knew it was for naught or something. 
Yeah that escalated quickly, but like with Maccant geting fired, let's not analyze about the process and just celebrate the result.

I'll say it again fellas, I love alot of the things Jets have done in the offseason and I do think we are improved no question but the CB situation is really getting me very nervous as I think opposing QB's are going to burn our secondary for big chunks of yardage and force us into blitzing way too much for our good which in turn will have us needing to come from behind in quite a few of our games this year....simply not good!!

It's just the reality of the situation we have here. And like I've said before as well, I have the utmost confidence in Douglass to eventually fix this dire situation, I just don't think Douglass has enough time fix what ails the Jets and I don't think it's going to happen this year.

Now I'm sure Douglass will find a few band aids along the way like he did with Kalil for our O-Line but we are really in a tough spot as our secondary is going to get torched big time. Sure DC Greg Williams will try and find some ways to circumvent this but the reality is, we simply don't have the talent on the back end other than Adams to stop this which is why despite all the improvements we made on offense, the addition of Mosley and Q Williams on D,  in big spots and in key situations, it's predictable our secondary is going to get torched and will end up being the biggest problem for the Jets this season and why we end up around 8-8 instead of 10-6 or so and garnering a playoff spot.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I sincerely doubt it. As I said, it's very likely going to need another year before Douglass can fix what looks to me like one of the worst secondary's in the NFL.

I can see us in alot of 31-27 type games and we are going to likely need our offense to outscore opposing teams due to this secondary issue we have. Trust me, I wish I didn't think this way as I'm typically more of a glass half full type but I'm just looking at reality here folks. 

Would love for someone to try and convince me otherwise or that I'm just being overly paranoid but I doubt you can...lol

The combo of no corners and no established edge rushers is not good at all. 

Add in the fact that Maye is always hurt and we could be trouble. The Williams boys are gonna have to get pressure up the middle every week to force opposing QB's into quick throws.

I'll say it again fellas, I love alot of the things Jets have done in the offseason and I do think we are improved no question but the CB situation is really getting me very nervous as I think opposing QB's are going to burn our secondary for big chunks of yardage and force us into blitzing way too much for our good which in turn will have us needing to come from behind in quite a few of our games this year....simply not good!!

It's just the reality of the situation we have here. And like I've said before as well, I have the utmost confidence in Douglass to eventually fix this dire situation, I just don't think Douglass has enough time fix what ails the Jets and I don't think it's going to happen this year.

Now I'm sure Douglass will find a few band aids along the way like he did with Kalil for our O-Line but we are really in a tough spot as our secondary is going to get torched big time. Sure DC Greg Williams will try and find some ways to circumvent this but the reality is, we simply don't have the talent on the back end other than Adams to stop this which is why despite all the improvements we made on offense, the addition of Mosley and Q Williams on D,  in big spots and in key situations, it's predictable our secondary is going to get torched and will end up being the biggest problem for the Jets this season and why we end up around 8-8 instead of 10-6 or so and garnering a playoff spot.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I sincerely doubt it. As I said, it's very likely going to need another year before Douglass can fix what looks to me like one of the worst secondary's in the NFL.

I can see us in alot of 31-27 type games and we are going to likely need our offense to outscore opposing teams due to this secondary issue we have. Trust me, I wish I didn't think this way as I'm typically more of a glass half full type but I'm just looking at reality here folks. 

Would love for someone to try and convince me otherwise or that I'm just being overly paranoid but I doubt you can...lol
Unfortunately I think you are spot on. It's the result of previously having an inept GM. This team needs another year under Douglass to address holes. Like you said, JD might be able to add some band-aids, but there is only so much available at this point.

Like TLEF316 says above, no CBs and no pass rush is a bad combo.  I think we can compete for a playoff spot, but not go far even if we do.  Next year is a different story. We are going to be involved in a lot of shootouts this year which is on the positive side good for our underrated fantasy players.  Everyone is sleeping on our offense right now.

Unfortunately I think you are spot on. It's the result of previously having an inept GM. This team needs another year under Douglass to address holes. Like you said, JD might be able to add some band-aids, but there is only so much available at this point.

Like TLEF316 says above, no CBs and no pass rush is a bad combo.  I think we can compete for a playoff spot, but not go far even if we do.  Next year is a different story. We are going to be involved in a lot of shootouts this year which is on the positive side good for our underrated fantasy players.  Everyone is sleeping on our offense right now.
Douglass seems smart. He'll await some camp cuts and bring in bodies to add depth at CB. You can't fix all of Mac's shortcomings overnight. I see some fans clamoring for the Jets to trade for guys like Norman, but I think Douglass knows better than to move picks he'll need for short term gains.

Douglass seems smart. He'll await some camp cuts and bring in bodies to add depth at CB. You can't fix all of Mac's shortcomings overnight. I see some fans clamoring for the Jets to trade for guys like Norman, but I think Douglass knows better than to move picks he'll need for short term gains.
Yeah I wouldn't trade draft picks for anyone that won't be around longer than a year.  As far as players go, I'm not sure that we have any depth that anyone would want. I guess we could trade L Williams if they have decided not to re-sign him. I think they will let him play out the year and see how he goes.

I know that Jalen Ramsey is still #####ing for a new deal. 

I can't say I'd 100 percent want to give up a first rounder for him (because I still don't think the jets are a contender with him this year) but is have to at least consider it. If they could get him for less than that, it would be tough to turn down.  Hell, whatever big contract you gave him would be winding down by the time you have to pay Sam.

He's an absolute ####### but he's a hell of a player. 

I know that Jalen Ramsey is still #####ing for a new deal. 

I can't say I'd 100 percent want to give up a first rounder for him (because I still don't think the jets are a contender with him this year) but is have to at least consider it. If they could get him for less than that, it would be tough to turn down.  Hell, whatever big contract you gave him would be winding down by the time you have to pay Sam.

He's an absolute ####### but he's a hell of a player. 
I wouldn't give up a first and have to also give a big contract, but for a second they would have to consider it. The thing is JAX isn't likely to move him since Coughlin and Marrone have to be on the hot seat and they have to try and win after going out and getting a veteran QB.

Some very interesting ideas fellas bringing in Ramsey and even Norman but we don't want to and really can't afford to give up draft capital at this point seeing we are still not a fully built team. In my view, we are about 75-80% there and Douglass will take care of the difference once he's had a full year with the gig. I want to have our likely middle 1st round 2020 pick next year to draft a stud O-lineman or a studly shutdown corner.  Maybe Douglass in FA next year can bring in a few studly Dbacks and O-lineman. 

I have complete faith in the guy as I've probably said a zillion times. We are in good hand. But, as I said as well and it sounds like y'all agree, he's not going to be able to fix what ails us coming on the job smack dab in the middle of this retool of ours. We are likely going to utilize the band aids Douglass gets us. Hopefully when Trumaine comes back, he actually performs up to the standards he was at 2 years ago and was the reason Mac gave him so much damn money.

Meantime, I'm laughing out loud just thinking about this. Could you imagine Jalen Ramsey and Jamal Adams in the same secondary? Holy mother of god would that be a #### show or what? I said earlier that Gase and Greg Williams have huge egos and it's really good that Douglass is there to keep things cool if things ever get combustible. The egos on both Adams and Ramsey? We are talking extra terrestrial sized....lol

I mean none of them would ever be shutting up and they would be both be competing to be the heartbeat of the team as I couldn't see either one of them taking a back seat. Not sure I could see Norman on our team in the same secondary as well with Adams. I dunno fellas maybe I'm missing something and it would work out.

Bottom line...we be in trouble with no CB's. Hopefully Douglass has something up his sleeve....we'll see soon enough

I was reading an article in the Athletic by Connor Hughes. He says 7 players are on the bubble to make the team and it doesn't look good for most of them. They are:

Eli McGuire

Nathan Shepherd

Deontay Burnett

Parry Nickerson (may stay due to lack of depth)

Davis Webb

Tim White

Daniel Brown

That Maccagnan was a hell of a drafter. At least we got Darnold out of it.

Shepherd went to my dad's college (D2 Fort Hays State) so he's emotionally invested.

But if you're spending a 3rd rounder on a  23 year old D2 player, you better be damn sure.  Just stupid

Shepherd went to my dad's college (D2 Fort Hays State) so he's emotionally invested.

But if you're spending a 3rd rounder on a  23 year old D2 player, you better be damn sure.  Just stupid
He was terrible last year, but I thought he looked decent in last week's game. They say he looks decent in practice, too.

I like Burnett, but he doesn't have the special teams value that some of the other guys have. Put him and White on the practice squad.

The others I don't care about.

Dan Bailey will likely soon be available for a kicking position in NFL. I wonder if he and the Jets can get together and make it work this time. 

Dan Bailey will likely soon be available for a kicking position in NFL. I wonder if he and the Jets can get together and make it work this time. 
He allegedly didn't want to kick outdoors last time. We'll see.

I got my 7-day free trial of Game Pass to watch tonight's game.

He allegedly didn't want to kick outdoors last time. We'll see.

I got my 7-day free trial of Game Pass to watch tonight's game.
I was about to get mine, but I think I want to watch the dress rehearsal vs. the Saints next week. 

As far as Bailey goes, I thought that was a money thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread