What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (3 Viewers)

The Jets tried out 5 kickers today and signed Sam Ficken.  He of a career 3 of 6 FGs. I remember last year the Rams passing up easy fgs when Ficken had replaced Greg the Leg. Sigh.

Whatever.  Any idea what left tackles or pass rushers will be in the draft this year? 

Let's just talk about that

We just lost 17-16 and signed Sam Ficken. Then we gave up a sixth to sign a guy for about a $3M cap hit (?) who can't really move all that well. I'm sure D. Thomas feels great about his new situation after making a gentleman's agreement with NE.

Never, ever do a deal with New England. They'll do you dirty. I'll bet if they could get a third for Gordon, they would do it in a minute. 

Oh, yeah, the broader point of this was that this day sorta stinks like old fish. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Robby Anderson is in Adam Gase's dog house right?
Yes, and watching it live, Gase (who I'm inclined not to like) was correct in real time. I was not happy with Anderson's effort, either.

I am not a big Anderson fan and avoided him in all drafts, so there's also some self-confirmation bias when I write this, even as a homer. Don't like his attitude. Don't like his slight build. Don't like his game.

As of yet. I hope he proves me wrong. 

so lets see if i got this right...in last 3 days...

killer loss at home to a division rival while leading by 16 and 90% win odds with 4-0 in turnovers...

AB a top 5 wr signs with pats

in return the pats somehow get a pick from the jets for a 31 yr old wr coming off an achilles injury they actually cut...who will likely replace enunwa who they just extended or anderson who was their best wr last yr

and mac’s 3rd rd div II 25 yr old 3rd rder was suspended for 6 games...

that cover it?  and i wonder why i drink so much

Us fantasy owners know the deal when it comes to a players worth. Thomas has gone from a 6th round pick in 2017.....10th round pick in 2018 to not even drafted this year in my 22 year old big $$ fantasy draft.

Thomas is pretty much toast IMO and the fall from stud to where he is now was pretty quick.

Unless Enunwa is hurt which he isn't thankfully, I don't see where Gase is going to use Thomas seeing as this point in his career, Thomas does what Enunwa does. I dunno, I guess you give him a look.

Call me a cynic but if hoodie dealt him to us of all teams in the entire NFL fully knowing we are playing them twice in the next 6 weeks, you have to believe Thomas pretty much is finished as an effective NFL WR.

I'm more interested if this new kicker we signed will be competent or not. That's where we are at in Jet Nation worrying if we have a kicker who can make ####### extra point.  I'm going on almost 50 years of this ####...new year...same ####. As Joe Benigno  says and I have to agree...."the pain...the pain"....lol

TLEF316 said:
Yeah, this is not a good day. 50 bucks says that 6th rounder turns into Brady's pro bowl successor
The more I think about it, the more I think that NEP doesn't catch lightning in a bottle that often. Was the Brissett/Dorsett II deal a good deal for NEP in the long run? Was their handling of Jimmy G. all that great? 

I think those are two instances where NEP has been lucky to have a generational quarterback, if not the GOAT, though that GOAT caused the Jimmy G situation with his longevity.

On that note, and as an aside, I hope nobody buys this TB12 sport science garbage. It's hokum. He's clearly a genetic freak, as are quite a few of us in that age range. We're going to push mortality rates to their limits, everything else held constant (I'm thinking clean liver living and an absence of smoking, both of which I'm flagged for during the ages of 23-43). Prenatal nutrition improved leaps and bounds over what it had been, and life expectancy and durability of athleticism followed suit. We're going to see more older guys playing sports because we lived healthier in the womb and also did so until the tomb. 

Enough of the digression on that front. Back to football.

Enunwa out for the season with another neck injury.  Should probably just hang em up now. Fresh off December's contract extension.

Just kill me now.

Us fantasy owners know the deal when it comes to a players worth. Thomas has gone from a 6th round pick in 2017.....10th round pick in 2018 to not even drafted this year in my 22 year old big $$ fantasy draft.

Thomas is pretty much toast IMO and the fall from stud to where he is now was pretty quick.

Unless Enunwa is hurt which he isn't thankfully, I don't see where Gase is going to use Thomas seeing as this point in his career, Thomas does what Enunwa does. I dunno, I guess you give him a look.

Call me a cynic but if hoodie dealt him to us of all teams in the entire NFL fully knowing we are playing them twice in the next 6 weeks, you have to believe Thomas pretty much is finished as an effective NFL WR.

I'm more interested if this new kicker we signed will be competent or not. That's where we are at in Jet Nation worrying if we have a kicker who can make ####### extra point.  I'm going on almost 50 years of this ####...new year...same ####. As Joe Benigno  says and I have to agree...."the pain...the pain"....lol
You know whoever this Maxie guy is, he must have an inside man at 1 Jet Drive giving him his information...uncanny simply uncanny....lol

In all seriousness, now the Thomas deal makes alot more sense as the Jets obviously must have known the prognosis for Enunwa wasn't good and so why not give DT a shot as Thomas can now take the Enunwa role.

Do I still think he doesn't have alot left? I don't. Is he an OK replacement? Well considering the alternatives, he'll have to be.

Kind of amazing but not surprising as this is the Jets, how all this optimism and feel good vibes coming out of camp and readily apparent for the Bills game has now turned into worry, at least for me it is, that this season is about to go sideways.

This is exactly why I said a few times last week that they absolutely had to have the Bill game and that it was a must game even tho it was just the first game which normally wouldn't be the case. So now we are dealing with injuries to key players(Quinnen, Mosley and now Enunwa), our kicking game couldn't be any worse and is in shambles and has been for months and oh yeah, the upcoming schedule is so brutal as to point the very real possibility exists that if they don't beat Cleveland on Monday nite that we could start the season 0-5!!

Let that sink in. I wasn't expecting playoffs and said so numerous times. I was however thinking 8-8 was very realistic. Was thinking we could maybe play some meaningful December games...I know crazy of me to think that. Well that aint happening if we start the season 0-5 it is even if the schedule gets a bit easier 2nd half of the season. The season could be over before it ever really started.

I hate feeling this way...I do. I'm usually a glass half full guy but I can't these negative thoughts I'm having and we are not even into WEEK 2 !!!....arggggggg. OK I'm calm now...just needed to vent.

You know whoever this Maxie guy is, he must have some inside man at 1 Jet Drive giving him his information...uncanny simply uncanny....lol

In all seriousness, now the Thomas deal makes alot more sense as the Jets obviously must have known the prognosis for Enunwa wasn't good and so why not give DT a shot as Thomas can now take the Enunwa role.

Do I still think he doesn't have alot left? I don't. Is he an OK replacement? Well considering the alternatives, he'll have to be.

Kind of amazing but not surprising as this is the Jets, how all this optimism and feel good vibes coming out of camp and readily apparent for the Bills game has now turned into worry, at least for me it is, that this season is about to go sideways.

This is exactly why I said a few times last week that they absolutely had to have the Bill game and that it was a must game even tho it was just the first game which normally wouldn't be the case. So now we are dealing with injuries to key players(Quinnen, Mosley and now Enunwa), our kicking game couldn't be any worse and is in shambles and has been for months and oh yeah, the upcoming schedule is so brutal as to point the very real possibility exists that if they don't beat Cleveland on Monday nite that we could start the season 0-5!!

Let that sink in. I wasn't expecting playoffs and said so numerous times. I was however thinking 8-8 was very realistic. Was thinking we could maybe play some meaningful December games...I know crazy of me to think that. Well that aint happening if we start the season 0-5 it is even if the schedule gets a bit easier 2nd half of the season. The season could be over before it ever really started.

I hate feeling this way...I do. I'm usually a glass half full guy but I can't these negative thoughts I'm having and we are not even into WEEK 2 !!!....arggggggg. OK I'm calm now...just needed to vent.
Max, let's face it. It's Kaapo Kakko time!

I'm really not surprised by the wheels falling off. Got to see some of the Jets in preseason and having known Gase and the shambles that 'Cags left the team in, this could hardly be too much of a shock. This team needs a rebuild from the neck up. Instead, they tried to cover up huge holes in the wall with spackle and it worked about as expected. If a team's heart is the past five years of drafting, then this one is nearly dead. 

Max, let's face it. It's Kaapo Kakko time!
#### me...I know.

God bless you Pops and luv you but why oh why did you have to have this mancrush for Joe Namath when I was a little kid and take me to Shea Stadium for games all the time and "force" me to be a Jet fan. Why? Why? I'd have so much less agida in my life had you not done this.

I'm really not surprised by the wheels falling off. Got to see some of the Jets in preseason and having known Gase and the shambles that 'Cags left the team in, this could hardly be too much of a shock. This team needs a rebuild from the neck up. Instead, they tried to cover up huge holes in the wall with spackle and it worked about as expected. If a team's heart is the past five years of drafting, then this one is nearly dead. 
True words, but we were one extra point or fg or non-injury away from feeling the opposite.

HOWEVER, the bloom is definitely off the rose for Gase and Joe D.

Gase: the Avery Williamson getting injured was not a good look for Gase. The play-calling in week 1 was very disconcerting. All summer long we hear that he is an offensive guru. We hear great stuff out of camp, yet Sunday's play-calling was straight out of our dark ages. 

The kicker situation was handled poorly whether that falls on Gase or JD. I'm not even talking about Myers. I'm referring to going with Vedvik after the way he looked in the pre-season. Plus we didn't bring in competition in camp for pitiful Cantazaro and Bertolet.

JD: We'll give him credit for Kalil, but he didn't look that great last week. Hopefully rust.  For all the talk about how we would use  #3 spot in the waiver wire, I was disappointed. There seemed to be some CB decent options on the WW that we passed on. We don't have any WR talent and passed on Doss. Now we had to trade for a WR. Maybe it works out. Who knows, but DT is a band-aid, not someone to build towards the future.  We also wasted a roster spot on Shepherd.  What's next?

BTW, Sam has strep throat and didn't practice today.

#### me...I know.

God bless you Pops and luv you but why oh why did you have to have this mancrush for Joe Namath when I was a little kid and take me to Shea Stadium for games all the time and "force" me to be a Jet fan. Why? Why? I'd have so much less agida in my life had you not done this.
Nothing like sitting at Shea with that whipping wind in the winter. Oof, I was there for the flying lawnmower that fell into the crowd and killed a woman.

Kakko was a man beast a bit back in the IIHF Worlds, wasn't he?
Amongst other events.  He had the flu this week and missed the first two games of the Traverse City tournament.  He played in the third game and had 3 assists in the third period and an incredible game-winning goal in OT.

Amongst other events.  He had the flu this week and missed the first two games of the Traverse City tournament.  He played in the third game and had 3 assists in the third period and an incredible game-winning goal in OT.
I watched Hughes. I guess the Devils and the hockey guys are seeing something I'm not, because it sure looks like you guys got the overall best player in the draft. 

I watched Hughes. I guess the Devils and the hockey guys are seeing something I'm not, because it sure looks like you guys got the overall best player in the draft. 
It's not really a fair comparison though. Hughes is an elite talent. Always has been, but he's not as physically mature as KK right now. Down the road, they should be close to equal.  Hughes may be even better. Whose to say, but right now, KK is the better player for this season. I did enjoy KK rag-dolling Hughes at the Worlds though.

Nothing like sitting at Shea with that whipping wind in the winter. Oof, I was there for the flying lawnmower that fell into the crowd and killed a woman.
Yup it did get cold and windy at Shea  for sure. Quick story:  I'll never forget  as it's vivid in my mind as if it was yesterday, the '81 WC playoff game vs the Bills.  My buddy and drove there from Long Island...tons of traffic, it was freezing and hailing at same time.,  It was as miserable a day as you could have. Anyways, we got there 7 minutes into the game and we figured...no biggie all good.....wrong!! 

By time we got there, it was already 24-0 Bills. Joe Ferguson apparently morphed into Johnny Uwhile Joe Cribbs was doing a real good Walter Payton imitation. Jets make huge comeback led by  Richard Todd is Godd  and we have chance to win it at the end but Todd gets picked off by Bill Simpson and it was over. Anyways, that was my first real disappointment I ever truly had as a Jet fan seeing when I was growing up and first understanding football around 1973 or so, the Jets were never really good. It wasn't until that 1981 season when the Jets became good and so the heartbreak started for me right then.

Little did I know the heartbreak would be going so strong almost 40 years later...hah

Saw highlights of that game...he was excellent. Kakko is the real deal..I'm convinced and he hasn't even played an NHL game.

I have my 22 years old big$ fantasy hockey draft coming up in about 2 weeks and it's going to be really interesting where he gets drafted.

Yup it did get cold and windy at Shea  for sure. Quick story:  I'll never forget  as it's vivid in my mind as if it was yesterday, the '81 WC playoff game vs the Bills.  My buddy and drove there from Long Island...tons of traffic, it was freezing and hailing at same time.,  It was as miserable a day as you could have. Anyways, we got there 7 minutes into the game and we figured...no biggie all good.....wrong!! 

By time we got there, it was already 24-0 Bills. Joe Ferguson apparently morphed into Johnny Uwhile Joe Cribbs was doing a real good Walter Payton imitation. Jets make huge comeback led by  Richard Todd is Godd  and we have chance to win it at the end but Todd gets picked off by Bill Simpson and it was over. Anyways, that was my first real disappointment I ever truly had as a Jet fan seeing when I was growing up and first understanding football around 1973 or so, the Jets were never really good. It wasn't until that 1981 season when the Jets became good and so the heartbreak started for me right then.

Little did I know the heartbreak would be going so strong almost 40 years later...hah
Sounds like the Steelers game. The last one at Shea. That was a miserable game.

Saw highlights of that game...he was excellent. Kakko is the real deal..I'm convinced and he hasn't even played an NHL game.

I have my 22 years old big$ fantasy hockey draft coming up in about 2 weeks and it's going to be really interesting where he gets drafted.
Too early I'm afraid. Someone will reach for KK and bypass players that are sure producers.

Adam Gase is a treasure:

Exchange between Jets reporters and Adam Gase:

Q: Do you regret not bringing back kicker Jason Myers?

A: That was a long time ago. I don't even remember what the discussion was.

Q: You don't remember if you wanted him back?

A: I might remember, I just don't want to tell you.

And

When asked about using certain personnel groupings, Gase replies:

"We'll see.....that's the beauty part of being the head coach, I get to do basically whatever I want."

Adam Gase is a treasure:
Oh man...it's starting already. My buddy who is a bigtime Dolphin fan warned me this #### with Gase and reporters wouldn't be pretty and would likely be very contentious seeing that's the way it was with the Miami beat reporters.

I told him not even a week ago that I actually was pleasantly surprised with Gase from listening and watching the Gase pressers as he didn't come off to me like the ##### he was supposed to be. He gave alot more info than than Bowles ever did even joking around with reporters on occasion. . As we all know with Bowles who said nothing, gave away nothing his pressers was as boring as watching paint dry. I mean yeah you could see a bit of arrogance in Gase but I kind of liked his confidence and so I was kind of surprised he wasn't pissing me off yet.

Anyways, after I told my friend this and that I was actually pretty amped up and that Gase just might be good for Sam and  was making sure all the players were accountable, he said to me and I laughed....he said just wait till the Jets lose their first game. My bud also said this as well...he says "god forbid your Jets lose to the Bills, you are no doubt going to see the douchie  side of Gase".

Well folks, looks like my bud was correctumundo as the worm...I mean the Gase has turned....lol

I've never had mono or know anything about it, but is it usually a multi-week issue? Just wonder if it's something more than that. 

I've never had mono or know anything about it, but is it usually a multi-week issue? Just wonder if it's something more than that. 
Mono can be very serious, life threatening in fact. This is going back a few decades, but as a kid one of my friends nearly died from it. He was ill for months. It’s usually very treatable though. Best wishes to a full recovery for Sam. 

I can't imagine this is a one week thing. I had mono in my twenties and missed a couple of weeks of work and then worked back with some half days. Partially due to commute. (You don't want to be fighting the crowds at Grand Central Terminal in less than optimal shape!). And I just sat at a desk all day.

Users who are viewing this thread