What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (3 Viewers)

Wait to return to sports and some other activities

Most signs and symptoms of mononucleosis ease within a few weeks, but it may be two to three months before you feel completely normal. The more rest you get, the sooner you should recover. Returning to your usual schedule too soon can increase the risk of a relapse.

To help you avoid the risk of rupturing your spleen, your doctor may suggest that you wait about one month before returning to vigorous activities, heavy lifting, roughhousing or contact sports. Rupture of the spleen results in severe bleeding and is a medical emergency.

Ask your doctor about when it's safe for you to resume your normal level of activity. Your doctor may recommend a gradual exercise program to help you rebuild your strength as you recover.

At least they have the bye in week 4. Unfortunately, that's also in the midst of their brutal early season schedule. 

We weren't going anywhere this year anyway with this shell of a roster. Fool's gold. At best we were hoping to compete for a wildcard. The only real downside of this is delaying Darnold's development (hopefully by only a few weeks).
:shakes head:

I never beat the drum appropriately enough to be like "I told you so...", but deep down we were at best 7-9 with ways to get worse.

And we did.

Cross-posted from another thread about the Jets by me, and I meant this and did not have one (one!) fantasy player from them:

This is exactly what I thought.

This is exactly why I stayed away from all Jets, fantasy-wise, even though the prognosis was once good.

Hint: It never is what it seems. They're awful. 

Unfortunately we should still beat them and only wind up with the second overall pick.
Before I even opened this thread, this is immediately what I thought. "We're still better than Miami."

One thing: If we lose to Miami, do we still draft Tua?

Kyler for thought. 

Before I even opened this thread, this is immediately what I thought. "We're still better than Miami."

Kyler for thought. 
We would trade back for a 5th rounder if we had Mccagnan. With JD, tbd.

All hope is not lost Jets fans, for you still have a semi-competent backup in Trevor Siemian.  After his first week playing, you'll probably ask yourself why he's not a starting QB in this league?  Though, he will do some things that will absolutely drive you mad.

a) He will throw to the check down even if another receiver is open 15 yards down the field.

b) On third and five, expect a two yard dump-off, followed by an immediate tackle.  Siemian will then shrug his shoulders on his way to the sidelines and say, "Awww shucks."

c) He will not improve during the season.  Instead, he will stagnate and then regress.

Other than these three things, the Jets have a pretty good backup QB on their hands.

I lied today. I forgot I had Chris Herndon in one of my fantasy leagues and was holding him for Week Six.

*washes hands*

I have Hock and Waller in that league and a bunch of WR2s. He gone for Deon Cain. Let's hope for another steady contributor to the I Am The Wallerres squad.

(It's a Lennon/McCartney thing.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyler for thought. 
No we don't need Tua...we have Darnold.

I haven't done any real research of the 2020 draft but from my eyes, if we have let's say a Top 5-10 pick, the order of need in my eyes is CB, OLine and edge rusher in that order.

From what I've read and heard about Douglass, he'll do the right thing and draft whatever the biggest need we have at time is. His eval skills are much more advanced than Mac's was from everything I've heard. I'm supremely confident that Douglass won't be ####### up our drafts and that we are in good hands. I know he hasn't done it with us yet but his time with Ozzie Newsome and Howie Roseman for past 20 years gives me alot of faith  we are going to be OK going forward when it comes to the draft and UFA going forward. 

If I'm wrong about this supreme confidence in Douglass, I promise I'll throw my hands up with this team and I'll just concentrate on my fantasty teams...i give you may word....lol

You know in all my years being a fan of this god forsaken cursed franchise, this just might be the quickest a season has ever gone down the tubes.

The only one that comes close top of my head is '99 when the Jets were absolutely loaded with talent coming into the season and we were legit SB contenders. In fact I believe Vegas had us as the favorite to win the SB heading into the season which right there should have been the first clue it wasn't going to happen....lol

Jets were coming into the season fresh off a loss in the AFC championship game to the Broncos the year before but it just seemed like it was our time. We had the best coach we had ever had in Parcells. We had Curtis Martin toting the rock...Keyshawn, Chrebet were catching balls from Vinny T and we had a nasty ### defense. We were primed to rock n roll.

Fast forward to 1st game of the year at home vs Patriots, I'm at Giants Stadium going nuts with 77,000 other brothers and sisters of mine and than on first or maybe it was second play of the game I forget, Testerverde fades back and than all of a sudden untouched falls to ground grabbing at his Achllies and that was that for that season. No SB...no playoffs...no nothing. We ended up going 8-8 that year but we started I believe 1-7...we were terrible. We had no QB for most part until Parcells turns to Ray Lucas and he somehow went on some sick tear and we won like 6-7 in a row to to end up .500.

But what could have been had Vinny not gotten hurt? We would have won the SB that year....no doubt in my mind. Now this year's team isn't as good obviously as that '99 team but this year has ended just as fast if not faster than that '99 Jet team.

Oh well...the plight of a Jet fan....fun fun fun.

You know what's crazy and this would be very Jet like as well. I would not be shocked if Trevor Siemien plays well on Monday nite and we somehow pull off the upset and instead of the world ending here in Jetland, we'll have some hope tho we'll still go 2-5 in this brutal stretch we have still because that's the way we roll.....lol 

IMHO, Gase's body language/demeanor during that initial press conference was abysmal.  Even if he doesn't believe it, the coach shouldn't have that doom & gloom aura at a time like this.  Think back to when Vermeil lost Trent Green and how he asserted that they WOULD win with Kurt Warner.  Even Pederson, when Wentz went down.  Those guys took a rosier public outlook, despite how they may have felt internally.  Now, I know I chose 2 instances where everything worked out perfectly ......and it's definitely not like that most times.....but I just thought that as the leader of that team he should be conveying a more positive outward appearance at the first press conference after the condition was discovered.

My 2 cents

IMHO, Gase's body language/demeanor during that initial press conference was abysmal.  Even if he doesn't believe it, the coach shouldn't have that doom & gloom aura at a time like this.  Think back to when Vermeil lost Trent Green and how he asserted that they WOULD win with Kurt Warner.  Even Pederson, when Wentz went down.  Those guys took a rosier public outlook, despite how them may have felt internally.  Now, I know I chose 2 instances where everything worked out perfectly ......and it's definitely not like that most times.....but I just thought that as the leader of that team he should be conveying a more positive outward appearance at the first press conference after the condition was discovered.

My 2 cents
Gase isn't a leader, he did the same shtick in Miami

Gase isn't a leader, he did the same shtick in Miami
He's going to wear out his welcome much sooner than later, and it will be back to the drawing board yet again. If he makes it more than two years, I'd be shocked. He'll probably get a mulligan for this year due to the injuries and the fact that Douglass hasn't fully brought in all his players yet. 

so lets see if i got this right...in last 3 days...

killer loss at home to a division rival while leading by 16 and 90% win odds with 4-0 in turnovers...

AB a top 5 wr signs with pats

in return the pats somehow get a pick from the jets for a 31 yr old wr coming off an achilles injury they actually cut...who will likely replace enunwa who they just extended or anderson who was their best wr last yr

and mac’s 3rd rd div II 25 yr old 3rd rder was suspended for 6 games...

that cover it?  and i wonder why i drink so much
Well it can't get worse than that at least....wait...what?

It's pretty funny how all the trolls of bad teams showed up here. I guess it's better to troll another bad team than to look at your own mess.

Rooting for the Jets is like rooting for the Mets. They both are like the mafia, everytime you try to get out and you think they are done and seasons over and they both suck somehow they both suck you back in.

After getting over the shock of Darnold's prognosis of having mono and he was going to be out for the next month most likely, taking a few vodka and tonic didn't hurt I was thinking about it and as bummed as I am about the prospects for the Jets going forward this year and this whole "same ole Jets" **** going on in my head I actually think there is a punchers chance that we can beat the Browns on Monday night....hear me out.

Trevor Siemian does have experience winning football games as he's not some wet behind the ears rookie playing QB. This is not Geno Smith here. Siemian is probably one of the better backups in the league and so we are kind of fortunate we have him. Siemien due to his experience  with Gase in Denver very likley knows the offense as good as Sam does.  So long as LevBell is playing and I believe he is, we do have enough weaponry in the arsenal to give the Browns defense some trouble.

The Browns despite how much talent they have "on paper" sucked bigtime last week and so maybe we shouldn't crown them just yet. Maybe it's going to take a few more games before they get their #### together.  That's the theory that maybe they aren't as good as they are supposed to be and so let's hold off the coronation for a bit longer. Jet defense played pretty well last week better than I expected. Hopefully Mosley can play cause he is a difference maker.

Don't forget as well, there's a ton more pressure on the Browns than the Jets now...that's for damn sure.####, we are playing with house money now as no one expects us to win Monday nite. The Browns tho? There will be a tremendous amount of pressure on them to win this week being a touchdown favorite and so with us playing at home maybe just maybe we can pull a "Lazarus" like the Mets have done a bunch of times the past month and rise from the dead, show some pride and heart and pull out an upset W on Monday.

I know some of y'all probably think I'm in lala land in this thinking but as much as we ##### and moan about our teams plight over the years, we have pulled off some impressive upsets  over the years that came out of nowhere.  I do believe there is still enough talent on the team to pull this off.

And If we don't, we are looking at a 4-12 square in the face. I have enough faith that we have enough pride and talent  on this team that we can't be that bad even with no Sam for now.

One caveat, I have had 4 Tito's vodka and tonics before I composed this post not that it should matter...lol

Rooting for the Jets is like rooting for the Mets. They both are like the mafia, everytime you try to get out and you think they are done and seasons over and they both suck somehow they both suck you back in.

After getting over the shock of Darnold's prognosis of having mono and he was going to be out for the next month most likely, taking a few vodka and tonic didn't hurt I was thinking about it and as bummed as I am about the prospects for the Jets going forward this year and this whole "same ole Jets" **** going on in my head I actually think there is a punchers chance that we can beat the Browns on Monday night....hear me out.

Trevor Siemian does have experience winning football games as he's not some wet behind the ears rookie playing QB. This is not Geno Smith here. Siemian is probably one of the better backups in the league and so we are kind of fortunate we have him. Siemien due to his experience  with Gase in Denver very likley knows the offense as good as Sam does.  So long as LevBell is playing and I believe he is, we do have enough weaponry in the arsenal to give the Browns defense some trouble.

The Browns despite how much talent they have "on paper" sucked bigtime last week and so maybe we shouldn't crown them just yet. Maybe it's going to take a few more games before they get their #### together.  That's the theory that maybe they aren't as good as they are supposed to be and so let's hold off the coronation for a bit longer. Jet defense played pretty well last week better than I expected. Hopefully Mosley can play cause he is a difference maker.

Don't forget as well, there's a ton more pressure on the Browns than the Jets now...that's for damn sure.####, we are playing with house money now as no one expects us to win Monday nite. The Browns tho? There will be a tremendous amount of pressure on them to win this week being a touchdown favorite and so with us playing at home maybe just maybe we can pull a "Lazarus" like the Mets have done a bunch of times the past month and rise from the dead, show some pride and heart and pull out an upset W on Monday.

I know some of y'all probably think I'm in lala land in this thinking but as much as we ##### and moan about our teams plight over the years, we have pulled off some impressive upsets  over the years that came out of nowhere.  I do believe there is still enough talent on the team to pull this off.

And If we don't, we are looking at a 4-12 square in the face. I have enough faith that we have enough pride and talent  on this team that we can't be that bad even with no Sam for now.

One caveat, I have had 4 Tito's vodka and tonics before I composed this post not that it should matter...lol
Short version on my end: Smart money says Jets get utterly wiped out on Monday. Is there a chance they might win? Sure.

As far as four Tito's...lol. Keep doing you, Maximus*. Cheers, bro!

All hope is not lost Jets fans, for you still have a semi-competent backup in Trevor Siemian.  After his first week playing, you'll probably ask yourself why he's not a starting QB in this league?  Though, he will do some things that will absolutely drive you mad.

a) He will throw to the check down even if another receiver is open 15 yards down the field.

b) On third and five, expect a two yard dump-off, followed by an immediate tackle.  Siemian will then shrug his shoulders on his way to the sidelines and say, "Awww shucks."

c) He will not improve during the season.  Instead, he will stagnate and then regress.

Other than these three things, the Jets have a pretty good backup QB on their hands.
This hurt like a newspaper to a dog's nose. I did not like that. Not one bit.

*sniffs and snorts*

Short version on my end: Smart money says Jets get utterly wiped out on Monday. Is there a chance they might win? Sure.

As far as four Tito's...lol. Keep doing you, Maximus*. Cheers, bro!
Yeah I'm not denying a few Tito's hasn't influenced my thinking a bit but on a serious not, I'm having a hard time believing the season would be over so soon if Jets didn't win Monday.

I mean if we lose like Vegas thinks we are, we are looking square in the face of not only a 4-12 type year but also starting the year 0-6. That's why last Sunday vs the Bills was so crucial and why I crowed till the cows came home that it was a must game in order for the Jets to have a chance at  somehow getting thru this brutal part of the schedule no worse than  2-5 and maybe even 3-4 if we could pull off an upset. We would have had a real shot at 8-8 than maybe 9-7 if everything broke right. But we would have had a season to look forward too which is the important thing. There would have been hope every week and that we'd be playing important football games into December  which would have been great for Sam....Well we blew it. 

This  week tho we need to win just to have a season....forget anything else. We got to 0-6 and all the negativity that would be rampant, that would be disastrous. We win and get this to 1-1...well we start to feel a little bit better about ourselves. We win, we still have a season and something to look forward too. We win, we than feel again that maybe this team could pull off an upset of a Cowboy team or heaven forbid the evil empire from New England when they come here.

So yeah I'm going to have faith that the Jets will show some ####### pride be pissed off and take it out on the Browns who  are not the Patriots or the Eagles. This is the plight of a Jet and Met fan and as much pain as it has given me in almost 50 years living and dying with these  god forsaken cursed franchises....I wouldn't change a thing. I wouldn't be the person I am today if I didn't know pain and  suffering which is why I never take for granted all the good that I have in my life. I have passed this along to my daughters as well as the two of them  are the furthest thing from spoiled brats. And the Jets and Mets have alot to do with it crazy as that sounds....lol

I have passed this along to my daughters as well as the two of them  are the furthest thing from spoiled brats. And the Jets and Mets have alot to do with it crazy as that sounds....lol
Lessons learned through even passive rooting for sport, I've found, are at once normative and revealing. Nothing crazy about that sentiment.

But to football: It's a wasted year already. Why not the best draft pick? Our personnel is gutted due to Maccagnan. Let's build it back, and build it right. 

Cue Fariq. 

I’m not predicting a win but agree they can win that game. Siemian is a better than average backup. He’s won games relying on his defense and if Mosley plays I think the defense can keep the game close enough

Good to have you active in the thread, man. You sound like a diehard -- and a hopeful one at that, something we all can use around here. 
Thanks for the kind words Brother Rocky...its good to be back actually as I'm a longtime here as I joined originally in I believe 2000 or so. Than Joe Bryant and the crew due to popularity of this place got a new server to handle all the traffic and so alot of posts were deleted. I than had to rejoin and so I believe it has me as being here since 2003. But around 2008 or so I got remarried moved down here near Philly and so I kind of didn't come here anymore to post as I kind of didn't like the negativity I was feeling as it was being taken over by alot of trolls and negative people.

I still came here to read the posts of people like Rage as I think he goes back as long as I do. Anyways, for some reason around a month ago I was here and I saw something Rage posted and figured...why not, let me hang out with my Jet brothers as we could commiserate and celebrate with one another and so voila...here I am back from a long almost 10 year absence.

And yes Rock as indicated by my posts, I'm very passionate about the Jets. I'm that way as well about the Mets, Rangers and Knicks as well as my 22 year old fantasy football and hockey leagues.. . I am a diehard...going back to the days Clark Gaines was toting the rock for the Jets and Al Woddall was Namath's backup in the early 70's. Not sure how old you are but NYRage and I are pretty close in age and so we have a little extra suffering and pain accumulated over the years....lol ...thx again my friend....cheers 

Lessons learned through even passive rooting for sport, I've found, are at once normative and revealing. Nothing crazy about that sentiment.

But to football: It's a wasted year already. Why not the best draft pick? Our personnel is gutted due to Maccagnan. Let's build it back, and build it right. 

Cue Fariq. 
lol

Not sure how old you are but NYRage and I are pretty close in age and so we have a little extra suffering and pain accumulated over the years....lol ...thx again my friend....cheers 
Yeah, you guys go back a little further -- probably by proximity to NY, fandom, and by age. I'm 45, a Northern CT guy moved out to CA these days. Faves: Red Sox; Whalers (never defunct in my heart); NY Jets because of Fairfield, CT Pops (who switched long ago to NEP) and Moms; and Celtics. 

So I'm a little weird regionally. All my life has pretty much been defined by living on the notch between CT and MA (Granby, CT) for sports fandom, and it's as schizophrenic as my area. But I picked the Jets, and will stick with the Jets. My true fandom with the Jets begins around Freeman McNeil and Richard Todd.

LaLa Land is not a bad place to be. Don't sell it short. That said, after that kicking situation and basically losing from it, I'm emotionally checked out. It won't stop me from watching every minute of this lousy season like I do every year anyway. I will just laugh along rather than breaking things like I used to do.

Speaking of rooting for teams that will tear your heart into pieces, the Mets are beating Kershaw after 2 innings. Teasing like usual. I see that Ramos is catching for Thor. I guess we know who "won" that situation.  PS  Go Rangers. I hope that KK doesn't end up wearing "45" in the regular season. I might throw up.

Yeah, you guys go back a little further -- probably by proximity to NY, fandom, and by age. I'm 45, a Northern CT guy moved out to CA these days. Faves: Red Sox; Whalers (never defunct in my heart); NY Jets because of Fairfield, CT Pops (who switched long ago to NEP) and Moms; and Celtics. 

So I'm a little weird regionally. All my life has pretty much been defined by living on the notch between CT and MA (Granby, CT) for sports fandom, and it's as schizophrenic as my area. But I picked the Jets, and will stick with the Jets. My true fandom with the Jets begins around Freeman McNeil and Richard Todd.
I used to love Lynn, Yaz, Pedro, and a whole bunch of others. I always rooted for the Sox back in the days. Thank God you didn't turn out to be a Pats fan.

LaLa Land is not a bad place to be. Don't sell it short. That said, after that kicking situation and basically losing from it, I'm emotionally checked out. It won't stop me from watching every minute of this lousy season like I do every year anyway. I will just laugh along rather than breaking things like I used to do.

Speaking of rooting for teams that will tear your heart into pieces, the Mets are beating Kershaw after 2 innings. Teasing like usual. I see that Ramos is catching for Thor. I guess we know who "won" that situation.  PS  Go Rangers. I hope that KK doesn't end up wearing "45" in the regular season. I might throw up.
Is the Thor/Ramos situation same as the C. Sale/Sandy Leon situation, where your catcher has a .560 OPS but the pitcher needs his wubby calling the game? I mean, I get the preference, but Vazquez, who has 19 homers and an OPS over .750, sits the bench every time Sale takes the mound. It's infuriating. 

Is the Thor/Ramos situation same as the C. Sale/Sandy Leon situation, where your catcher has a .560 OPS but the pitcher needs his wubby calling the game? I mean, I get the preference, but Vazquez, who has 19 homers and an OPS over .750, sits the bench every time Sale takes the mound. It's infuriating. 
Don't quote me but I believe Noah's ERA is 2 runs less with any catcher other than Ramos as I believe when  he's pitching to Ramos, his ERA is in the 5's....not good.

It's really a pretty simple solution and I'm not really concerned. Calloway gives Ramos 2 days off typically every week. Just time those off days the days Noah is on the mound....problem solved easy peasy.

if I can figure this out, I'm sure the Mets will as well....lol

Don't quote me but I believe Noah's ERA is 2 runs less with any catcher other than Ramos as I believe when  he's pitching to Ramos, his ERA is in the 5's....not good.

It's really a pretty simple solution and I'm not really concerned. Calloway gives Ramos 2 days off typically every week. Just time those off days the days Noah is on the mound....problem solved easy peasy.

if I can figure this out, I'm sure the Mets will as well....lol
Except they haven't because Ramos is still the catcher when Thor pitches.

@rockaction Yes, basically. Good hitter, but terrible at calling pitches. When the count is 0-2. he doesn't try to waste any pitchers or set up the batters. Fastballs right down the middle. Plus, he's not a good fielder and hasn't been throwing out base runners.

Your mentioning the Whalers has me smiling. The first guy I ever drafted in that 22 year old fantasy hockey league I mentioned was Geoff Sanderson...remember him? I'm sure you do. I think I picked him the year after he scored over 40 goals. The guy was as fast back than as McDavid is in  today's game.

Anyways good to have you as part of  the Jet family despite the fact from where you lived, it could have easily been the Gmen where alot of peeps from CT  are fans of and/or the evil empire in Foxboro.

Your mentioning of Richard Todd and Freeman McNeil is pretty much the time I became hard core Jet fan. I used to go to the games at Shea when I was around 16-17 circa '77 thru '79 till I went away to college. And back than it was easy to go to a game and we would get to Shea early and watch the players warming up. I still have a football that Pat Leahy kicked in pregame that missed the netting and after fighting off a few peeps, I won out....woo hoo.

Freeman McNiel  had he not gotten hurt so much easily could have been in the Hall of Fame...he was that talented. And alot of longtime Jet fans when they think about the Richard "Todd is God" years will always remember the disastrous performance he had in MIami during the'82 AFC title game. But what I remember about Todd was how good he was for those two years....'81 and '82. Sure we had the "NY Sack Exchange" taking over games on defense but Todd finally had reached his potential and he was as good a QB as any of us Jet fans had seen maybe ever.

Maybe NYRage can back me up on this but I can't say Namath was the best for my generation cause I was too young to really  remember Namath as his best and what I do recall about Namath in he early to mid 70's was he was always hurt for most part. So Todd was the guy and the Jets had some very good teams those two years. Ask any Jet fan and they'll say  the same thing. Had the Jets played the Dolphins on a field that wasn't a mudpit, we very likely beat them and go to the SB and would have played the Joe Theisman Joe Gibbs Redskins. 

To this day, that '82 Jet team was about as good a Jet team as I've ever seen in my lifetime with the only one that even comes close is  the '98 Parcells, Keyshawn Jets team that lost to the Broncos in the AFC title game. We got robbed and snookered in '82 and Shula purposely  allowed the Orange Bowl to become a mud pit cause he knew it would negate our huge offensive advantage. To this day I hate Shula. Good memories nonetheless.

Maximus*, I remember that '82 game as a formative childhood memory being born in '73. A.J. Duhe, right? Nightmares.

I am a Giants fan, too. But if you hooked me up to a lie detector, I choose the Jets. There's just going to be something so sweet about when they win. It'll take something seismic, but the Red Sox had to change ownership to win one. It goes that deep sometimes.

As far as The Whale goes, sure I remember Geoff Sanderson (#8?), but I was a freshman or sophomore in college when he was really doing his thing, so he's a bit after my hometown and youthful fandom. I actually had his poster back then, but can't remember seeing him live. That's when they switched to the home blue unis, those years. But anyway, back then, the Whale was in a cloud of moving smoke. The Pats were coming to CT and John Rowland, the corrupt governor (jailed twice now for financial crimes), let the Whalers walk on down to Tobacco Road, thinking he had the Pats in the bag. Pro football in Hartford! Can you imagine the day?! Alas, the Pats jilted Hartford at the altar and stayed in Foxboro. Another reason to hate the Patriots on my end. 

Users who are viewing this thread