What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (5 Viewers)

happy draft day!!!  

Looking more and more that the big 3 and maybe even 4 OTs will be gone by #11......watched some highlights on Jeudy and Lamb last pm and would love to have either of them...far and away the best young WR upside the Jets would have since Keyshawn....Ruggs reminds me of a Santana Moss but I take the bigger more complete WR every time.....speed isnt everything.  

Interested in the top 10 list of realistic players you fellas would be interested in to get a pulse....my list below - 7-10 only if they trade down a few slots which may happen.....

1.  Wills

2.  Thomas

3.  Wirfs

4.  Jeudy

5.  Lamb

6.  Becton

7.  Ruggs

8.  Austin JAckson

9.  Josh jones

10.  Justin Jefferson
1) I would be happy with any of the top 4 OTs.  They all have flaws. I would list Wills first.   I think Thomas is the best of the rest, but is the worse fit for our system. I think I would put Becton second. High upside, but needs technique improvement. I think Wirfs is probably the worst of the four, but is still a better fit than Thomas.

We can get WRs later, so my choice would be to get one of the above tackles.

2) If all 4 tackles are gone, then it becomes difficult. Do we go WR or trade down?  I'm good with either decision. I just don't want to go defense.

If we're going WR, I would lean to Lamb. I would not mind Jeudy because I think the best route runners still find a way to be productive. I would be intrigued by Ruggs.We would have 2 sub-4.3 guys on the outside. That would really open things up for Crowder and Herndon.

It's hard to say who I would prefer if we trade down. It depends on how far. I will be happy with any of the above 7 guys if we stay at11,  preferably OT as long as we get 2 WRs from rounds 2-4.

As far as your list, I don't think Jones is a fit for our offense. Jackson is a work in progress. Jefferson is a slot guy where we already have Crowder. 

Tony Pauline says that we love Jeudy and that's the pick if the OT's are gone.  I don't think anyone really knows and I like that.  I would be happy with any of them to be honest.
I do not think any of us will complain with one of the top OTs, Lamb or Jeudy at 11 - with the other position addressed in Round 2. If they take Simmons or Brown because they "fell" we may see a revolt.

Just to clarify, Jefferson would be a "big slot" guy, not a sub 6'0" guy like Crowder. But it's still not the position you're generally looking to fill.

I do not think any of us will complain with one of the top OTs, Lamb or Jeudy at 11 - with the other position addressed in Round 2. If they take Simmons or Brown because they "fell" we may see a revolt.
If we're anywhere near a defensive tackle like Brown, I'll spit.  And we signed Mosely so that we wouldn't have to waste a draft pick on a linebacker. 

A lot of people are saying Simmons will be more of a safety in the NFL. Mac would have drafted him so that he could let Adams walk.
Indeed. Just see my IDP Forum thread. I actually knew the logic and reasoning why they'd draft Simmons and let Adams walk, but then there'd be trades to talk about most likely so didn't want to throw a ton of stuff at the wall. It was more of a piece, meet part, comment.

eta* Oh, I totally missed that you said Maccagnan. I was thinking about the Adams/DAL thing under JD as a real thing, not as a carefully worded aside swipe at Mac. Please swipe away. All for it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If we're anywhere near a defensive tackle like Brown, I'll spit.  And we signed Mosely so that we wouldn't have to waste a draft pick on a linebacker. 
Im sorry but any defensive player and im not happy.....even if its a decent value thats the price you pay for ignoring one side of the ball for a decade.  I dont care if its a hiighly ranked CB, LB or pass rusher...1st rd pick must be OL/Wr....trust GWill with the Defense....if O is ignored again it is hugely unfair to Sam.  

Jets re-signed exclusive-rights free agent K Sam Ficken.

Ficken made 19-of-27 field goals and 23-of-26 extra points in 2019. It'd behoove the Jets to have some sort of kicker competition this offseason.
Why?

Ficken is awful - Jets have been lucky with decent kickers over the years but last yr was unacceptable and it cost them....I can see them spending a 6th and 7th on a new punter/kicker which Id be ok with.....

Giants DL Leonard Williams signed his franchise tag.

Williams will play the 2020 season on the franchise tag -- likely as a defensive tackle -- and then will test free agency the following season if the two parties don't work out a multi-year contract by July 15. Williams has been a bust since being the No. 6 pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, but he has some leverage to get a multi-year contract from the Giants after GM Dave Gettleman traded two mid-round picks for him last season. It will be a waste of assets if Williams leaves after 1.5 seasons, although Williams may be a sunk cost. He made 0.5 sacks in 2019.
LOL

I wanted Wills. Of course, it's always one pick away.

I was Facetiming with friends. They wanted Wirfs, but I knew that we preferred Becton.  I'm ok with it. I'll trust JD the former lineman.

Prayed for wills...preferred wirfs....happy with Becton.....could be a Brick for 10 yrs or out of league in 5....low floor...huge ceiling...in JD we trust!  Now WR next!!!!

Ha. Ok, So I went to re-watch the Combine and I was shocked that Daniel Jeremiah had Becton as his 5th overall prospect going into the Combine (pre-workout). In his latest top 150, Becton was still the #1 OT on his board and 7th overall. Interesting.
Sweet. So he wasn't a project, really. 

Like most, I was expecting Wilfs, and Becton will likely forever be compared to how the former turns out.

That said, I trust that JD and team brass did their proper due diligence on Becton and they filled a key need. Now get one of those many WRs out there and they're off to a good start.

So I wonder if they leave Fant at LT and start Becton over at RT or if Fant goes to RT.

and note to the rest of the NFL, please leave some WRs for the Jets' next pick.
He can play either side, but you might as well start him on the left. You have good pass rushers on both sides these days. Might as well start him at his long term position.

Btw, so much for Edoga's career unless Fant flops.

I saw the Athletic's second and third round mock has us taking a CB in the second, Shenault in the third and another CB in the third. Oh hell no to 2 CBs. Is Dane Brugler nuts?  I hope we draft 2 WRs. I want a RB at some point, too.

He can play either side, but you might as well start him on the left. You have good pass rushers on both sides these days. Might as well start him at his long term position.

Btw, so much for Edoga's career unless Fant flops.

I saw the Athletic's second and third round mock has us taking a CB in the second, Shenault in the third and another CB in the third. Oh hell no to 2 CBs. Is Dane Brugler nuts?  I hope we draft 2 WRs. I want a RB at some point, too.
I'm on board. I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Cam Akers added in the third or fourth as he can be a passing game weapon as well. We could use a CB, but I think the second rounder HAS to be WR unless there's a crazy run to start the round.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on board. I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Cam Akers added in the third or fourth as he can be a passing game weapon as well. We could use a CB, but I think the second rounder HAS to be WR unless there's a crazy run to start the round.
Akers would be a great pick.

I'm hoping for Pittman in the second, but not sure if Gase prefers a faster WR like MIms (if he is still there). I think they would also like Shenault with his RAC ability.

Akers would be a great pick.

I'm hoping for Pittman in the second, but not sure if Gase prefers a faster WR like MIms (if he is still there). I think they would also like Shenault with his RAC ability.
Total agreement on this. He's a Jets-style receiver.

Why on earth do you guys want another running back with the savior we've got back there? That's beyond me. 

Total agreement on this. He's a Jets-style receiver.

Why on earth do you guys want another running back with the savior we've got back there? That's beyond me. 
You damn wiseguy. For 2 reasons: 1) We don't have anyone behind Bell right now  2)They will probably cut Bell next year because our coach is a moron.

I hope we skip CB. Sign Logan Ryan and address CB next year. The only defensive player we should possibly add is pass rusher. This draft needs to focus on offense. Get a RB, 2 WRs, and another C/G.

I hope we skip CB. Sign Logan Ryan and address CB next year. The only defensive player we should possibly add is pass rusher. This draft needs to focus on offense. Get a RB, 2 WRs, and another C/G.
I'm surprised he's still out there. Good call.

I'm surprised he's still out there. Good call.
I think Manish was the one that said that we were considering looking under our couches to dig up some change to sign Ryan.

Also, I've seen rumors that Clowney's price has dropped closer to $13m-$14m. I'm not sure that he's the type of guy that JD wants, but something else to monitor. We'll have cap room once we get Johnson's $11m off the books.  I hope we get rid of Winters after we add another guard, too . That's another $7mm

After a ton of reading and watching highlights Im feeling better about Becton.....he has Ogden/Brick like potential and you dont pass that up at #11......he also could get heavy and lose that athleticism so they need to stay on him......Put him at LT...Fant/Edoga battle out at RT....draft a center in the 3rd and have a ,much upgraded OL with depth for once....

I also agree with cutting Winters if they grab another C/interior OL pick - frees up the $ for a CB or Pass Rusher.  

If a top center is there in the 3rd id use one on that - then would love to get one of the good RBs with the other 3rd rder.  Think its important to get the Bell heir this year to get him used to the system for a year.  Gives another offensive weapon and a nice transition as there is no chance Bell is a Jet in 2021.  

Gotta go WR in the 2d and Id even consider dealing a 4th to move up a few spots to ensure getting one of the better ones left.  

So far this offseason has been a breath of fresh air compared to Mac.  

After a ton of reading and watching highlights Im feeling better about Becton.....he has Ogden/Brick like potential and you dont pass that up at #11......he also could get heavy and lose that athleticism so they need to stay on him......Put him at LT...Fant/Edoga battle out at RT....draft a center in the 3rd and have a ,much upgraded OL with depth for once....

I also agree with cutting Winters if they grab another C/interior OL pick - frees up the $ for a CB or Pass Rusher.  

If a top center is there in the 3rd id use one on that - then would love to get one of the good RBs with the other 3rd rder.  Think its important to get the Bell heir this year to get him used to the system for a year.  Gives another offensive weapon and a nice transition as there is no chance Bell is a Jet in 2021.  

Gotta go WR in the 2d and Id even consider dealing a 4th to move up a few spots to ensure getting one of the better ones left.  

So far this offseason has been a breath of fresh air compared to Mac.  
I just read that the Jets and Jags had a deal in place to switch spots for an OT. Wills and Becton were the targets although not sure whom they had higher. Once the Jets saw that one of the two would be available to them, they decided not to trade. 

They might be willing to trade their 4th rounder, but I hope not. We should still be able to get a good WR in the second.

The Jets are rumored to love Hennessey (center) for the third round.  Then they could move McGovern to guard.

I just read that the Jets and Jags had a deal in place to switch spots for an OT. Wills and Becton were the targets although not sure whom they had higher. Once the Jets saw that one of the two would be available to them, they decided not to trade. 

They might be willing to trade their 4th rounder, but I hope not. We should still be able to get a good WR in the second.

The Jets are rumored to love Hennessey (center) for the third round.  Then they could move McGovern to guard.
interesting - very good call on not trading up....I thought #11 would be a good spot and it played out perfectly standing pat.

I have a feeling that there is going to be a run on WRs early in round 2.....WR is a huge need....if they need to deal a 4th to guarantee a good one then its a small price to pay IMO.  

Would love Hennessey in the 3rd - OL would be a huge upgrade with McGovern to guard.  

If his dad is any indication that's surely a possibility.
Im not going to lie....when they 1st cut to Becton's family I thought that his dad was him and I freaked out for a second lol.  

I read last pm he was close to 400 pounds and lost a lot of weight - this is going to be a battle with him and part of the risk factor.  i know he tested positive at the combine - im wondering if it was for a diet supplement rather than weed.....munchies are not a good thing for this fella!  lol

interesting - very good call on not trading up....I thought #11 would be a good spot and it played out perfectly standing pat.

I have a feeling that there is going to be a run on WRs early in round 2.....WR is a huge need....if they need to deal a 4th to guarantee a good one then its a small price to pay IMO.  

Would love Hennessey in the 3rd - OL would be a huge upgrade with McGovern to guard.  
There's still a lot of WRs left - I don't think they need to panic and they could use all the picks they have (including taking another WR with that 4 they would save). This roster has a lot of holes. 

This is a good Jags article that talks about our proposed trade with them and their other trade options. Atlanta wanted to move up for a CB. TB wanted to move up for a tackle. Not sure which one. Jacksonville really wanted to make the trade with us.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001110981/article/henderson-chaisson-spearhead-jaguars-youth-movement

Users who are viewing this thread