What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (6 Viewers)

What a shame....on so many levels

Jets rarely hit on a draft pick....and when they do its a safety.....who wants out after not being paid after 3 yrs of losing football.....

This is the guy who said he was a winner.....hes not........this is a guy who said he would be this teams leader....hes not

He is Mevis 2 except one big difference - Mevis was a winner wherever he went.  Adams so far has shown that despite his talents he is a small piece to a winning team.  

The timing is bad as he loses value by doing these stunts.....plus the Jets are not going to wait an entire year to get a draft pick return for one of their best players......JD is going to rightfully demand a haul and if he doesnt get it Jamal can sit for 2-3 yrs....Ramsey was doing similar and the Jags recd 2 1sts while needing a monster deal. Adams is still on a rookie deal and has incredibly made it clear that he would play it out for a better team - so that should be leverage.  

Gallup and a 1st would be the absolute minimum as Id make Dallas pay a premium over any other team.....Id prefer to send him to Jacksonville - maybe for their own malcontent - or Washington - so unless one of his "listed teams" comes in with a great deal I'd either deal him for a monster deal or just let him sit...I think most fans are on the side of mgt here which is very rare.....let him sit and watch during his prime years

Also - please let this be a lesson learn that any top 10 pick of a position other than QB, OL, pass rush and CB is just not a value pick - even if you hit on the pick its not worth it for the money.  

No team is going to match the Jets' asking price to get the privilege of meeting Adams' asking price. 

"Give us two firsts so you can pay a safety $20m per year." Uh-huh.

Last edited by a moderator:
The funny thing is....as the #6 pick in the draft, he has made plenty of money.   Its not like the guy was a 4th rounder (or even a late 1) where you could argue that he's gotten screwed by the system.

He got 22 M guaranteed and a 14M signing bonus before he even played a snap.  But that's the way the system works. You get stupid money up front without having to prove anything, and if you turn out to be an elite player, there's a chance you'll be underpaid for a year or 2 on the back end of that first deal. 

But then you have every opportunity to get paid like the best in the game when you're like 26 or 27 years old. 

Compare the situation to baseball players. If you weren't a crazy high draft pick or big time latin American signee, you play for peanuts in the minors for several years with no guarantee that you'll ever make anything. And then if by some miracle, you DO make it to the show....you're under team control for up to SIX years of MLB service.  

At the end of the day, only 53 players win the super bowl but EVERYONE needs to put food on the table.  But its just so frustrating when that results in your team getting screwed.

No team is going to match the Jets' asking price to get the privilege of meeting Adams' asking price. 

"Give us two firsts so you can pay a safety $20m per year." Uh-huh.
I know Ramsey is a cb which is more value but jamaal is arguably the top S in the game...The crazy thing is its reported that if hes traded to a good team he will wait 2 yrs and even give a discount....so is it about the $$$ or not?   

I seriously never thought anyone could make Revis look like a good guy in a situation like this. But sure enough, Adams has done it.

Revis played a premiere position, actually won some games (they went to the AFC title game the year before his big hold out) and didn't demand a trade (at least not publicly). Obviously social media is in a different place than it was 10 years ago, but still. 

PATRICK FREAKING MAHOMES doesn't have his extension yet.

Ill give Jamaal this he has some set on him!  He posts a goodbye to Marcus Maye with 3 yrs of control left on his deal and no indication of Jets making any move whatsoever - I think all Jet fans would be more than fine with this guy sitting out.....he wont based on the rules...he'll come back just in time and fake an injury.....Id like to see the Jets call his bluff and see him waste 3 of his prime years not playing......they lost a ton of games with him....cant do much worse without him!  

I dont think Adams realizes that the Jets GM doesnt shine shoes anymore.....I can see JD setting the tone for his tenure with this situation.....either someone pays big or Adams will sit. 

Ill give Jamaal this he has some set on him!  He posts a goodbye to Marcus Maye with 3 yrs of control left on his deal and no indication of Jets making any move whatsoever - I think all Jet fans would be more than fine with this guy sitting out.....he wont based on the rules...he'll come back just in time and fake an injury.....Id like to see the Jets call his bluff and see him waste 3 of his prime years not playing......they lost a ton of games with him....cant do much worse without him!  

I dont think Adams realizes that the Jets GM doesnt shine shoes anymore.....I can see JD setting the tone for his tenure with this situation.....either someone pays big or Adams will sit. 
He can't sit out - the new CBA won't allow his contract to toll if he doesn't show up. So next season he'd be in the same exact position after losing a year of salary.

He can't sit out - the new CBA won't allow his contract to toll if he doesn't show up. So next season he'd be in the same exact position after losing a year of salary.
Exactly. That's why people are wasting a lot of time on this topic.

JD would have to get a great deal to move Adams. As a new GM, trading him for below value to move a disgruntled player is not the precedent he wants to set. All of his moves so far show that he is no clown.

Adams can cry himself into a fetal position. He will be playing on his rookie deal despite all of his antics.  I told you guys a long time ago that this guy was a narcissistic tool.

Agreed that he cant sit out - but he can pull a Ramsey and report when he has to and then fake an injury....Im fully expecting that to happen.  I dont think Adams is on the field for the Jets again without a new deal.  

Agreed that he cant sit out - but he can pull a Ramsey and report when he has to and then fake an injury....Im fully expecting that to happen.  I dont think Adams is on the field for the Jets again without a new deal.  
I'm not sure that's realistic. The Jets have team doctors and can send him to an independent doctor as well. If he just refuses to play, he does not get paid.

It won't do any wonders for his next deal if he fakes an injury.

Although we individually take a hit at the position, I don't think it will have a major impact on the defense. Strong safety just isn't that impactful of a position even for the best players.  

It's not that hard to find a box safety to make tackles. He gets less than an INT per season and forces 2 fumbles a season. The big drop-off comes in pass pressure, but hell, GW dials up all kinds of pressure. 

I understand everyone's infatuation with Adams since he was a first round pick and we have been notoriously awful at drafting. No one wants to lose a first round pick that worked out especially with our dearth of talent. However, I rather not pay an extra $10m per season over a replacement safety.  It's just not worth it in my opinion. We can use that money elsewhere.

It won't do any wonders for his next deal if he fakes an injury.

Although we individually take a hit at the position, I don't think it will have a major impact on the defense. Strong safety just isn't that impactful of a position even for the best players.  

It's not that hard to find a box safety to make tackles. He gets less than an INT per season and forces 2 fumbles a season. The big drop-off comes in pass pressure, but hell, GW dials up all kinds of pressure. 

I understand everyone's infatuation with Adams since he was a first round pick and we have been notoriously awful at drafting. No one wants to lose a first round pick that worked out especially with our dearth of talent. However, I rather not pay an extra $10m per season over a replacement safety.  It's just not worth it in my opinion. We can use that money elsewhere.
Taking out the recent events - I was in favor of spending the money on him.  I know the position is not as important as the critical ones but the guy is top 3 in his position in the league - hes a game changer and playmaker - both of which the team has not had in yrs.  I would have no issue giving him Eddie Jax $ - if hes looking to be $20M plus then no way.  

The way this has played out it's clear that drafting Ashtyn Davis was more of a protection on Adams than Maye....Maye is a solid player and probably would resign on a reasonable contract and form a good team with Davis if Adams is dealt or sits out.  Either way my unhappiness with spending a 3rd rd pick on an area of need seems to have been good foresight by JD.  

Just because the simpletons that drafted before liked their RBs and safeties doesn't mean the new office has to value them nearly as much. Good point.  

CNN reports Jets owner Woody Johnson was investigated by the State Department for alleged racist and sexist remarks. 

Johnson currently serves as the U.S. ambassador to the United Kingdom for President Donald Trump, a role he has held since August 2017. Christopher Johnson, his brother, has served as the Jets' CEO and Chairman during that time. The allegations include Johnson asking if the audience for a Black History Month event would be comprised of "a whole bunch of black people" and questioned why the black community celebrates Black History Month. Johnson also allegedly made "cringeworthy" remarks about women's appearances and called an event for International Women's Day "a feminist event." Johnson did not deny the accusations when questioned, including more politically-loaded charges involving one of President Trump's U.K.-based businesses. 

SOURCE: CNN

Jul 22, 2020, 10:25 AM ET

I think the point is all people should celebrate Black History Month and International Women's Day as achievements of our society recognizing and celebrating advancements of equal rights. African Americans only celebrating Black History Month and women alone celebrating Women's Day would be kind of like men alone celebrating Father's Day. The point is at least as much about others celebrating these bright lights as the people whose achievements are being celebrated.

No surprise that some guy in a fantasy forum doesn't have a working knowledge of this distinction, but for an international diplomat, for our Ambassador to the United Kingdom not to be at least this sensitive, is kind of alarming.

I guess I"m going to need some sensitivity training here.

Wouldn't you expect "a whole bunch of black people" at a Black History Month event?

Isn't an International Women's Day event, by definition, a "feminist event"?
Yes, but that's not what people are getting on Woody for. It sounds like he's disparaging both events in his line of questioning, really. That's where the uproar is. What's amazing is that he hasn't used an epithet or expletive or trigger word and they're getting on him for a mode of thought.

That is truly the thought police.

But we'd like to see bigger things from men in charge.

Wouldn't you expect "a whole bunch of black people" at a Black History Month event?
But if one expected it why ask? There's some kind of inherent negative connotation in asking that question because if not, why ask?

I'm not saying these statements being attributed to him are so horrific, relatively speaking, but it exemplifies a cluelessness that Jet fans always knew Woody possessed.

In an interview with Manish Mehta of The New York Daily News, Jamal Adams reiterated his desire to be traded but did say he'll report for the start of training camp.

In the same interview, Adams also had some choice words for coach Adam Gase and GM Joe Douglas. "I don’t feel like he’s the right leader for this organization,” Adams said of Gase. “As a leader, what really bothers me is that he doesn’t have a relationship with everybody in the building. He doesn’t address the team. If there’s a problem in the locker room, he lets another coach address the team." As for Douglas, Adams pointed to his flip-flop status regarding wanting to do an extension with Adams, noting Douglas saying earlier in the offseason that he wanted to make the star safety a "Jet for life" only to backpedal on those comments, pretending he never made them, and then never presenting an offer. That's the whole reason Adams wants out; he wants an extension and the Jets haven't been willing to make an offer or respond to offers from Adams' camp. Blasting upper management is a curious tactic and one that didn't work for DE Yannick Ngakoue in Jacksonville.
This team....

Jamal has finally realized that he is not getting his way - so he is turning it up higher.....takes shots at the owner, the HC and GM all in 48 hrs....not saying Woody and Gase dont deserve it but he knows the Jets have him the next 3 yrs and its the only card he can play....the sad thing is he made a lot of money....and will get a big contract....but this nonsense has completely tanked his image.  Every NFL player deserves to make the money they make but there is a CBA in place and a system....he has shamed himself, his teammates and fan with this...never imagined this "leader" would end up worse than Mevis.  

As for the Jets - I think they continue to stay the course - do nothing....GMs will be smelling blood and trying to see if JD will dump Adams on the cheap.....dont do it....let him sit in this situation until the right deal comes.....getting picks for next yr doesnt help Sam at all.....once JD went all in and didnt trade him prior to draft then he has no choice but to ride this out.....and its the right move....let him continue to nuke himself...

Jamal has finally realized that he is not getting his way - so he is turning it up higher.....takes shots at the owner, the HC and GM all in 48 hrs....not saying Woody and Gase dont deserve it but he knows the Jets have him the next 3 yrs and its the only card he can play....the sad thing is he made a lot of money....and will get a big contract....but this nonsense has completely tanked his image.  Every NFL player deserves to make the money they make but there is a CBA in place and a system....he has shamed himself, his teammates and fan with this...never imagined this "leader" would end up worse than Mevis.  

As for the Jets - I think they continue to stay the course - do nothing....GMs will be smelling blood and trying to see if JD will dump Adams on the cheap.....dont do it....let him sit in this situation until the right deal comes.....getting picks for next yr doesnt help Sam at all.....once JD went all in and didnt trade him prior to draft then he has no choice but to ride this out.....and its the right move....let him continue to nuke himself...
The irony is that this "leader" is questioning the leadership of the coach.

The irony is that this "leader" is questioning the leadership of the coach.
I will say this....the Jets never learn.....Rex did the same thing with the defense and completely ignored the offense....this time its reversed....its a dumb set up and reeks of a lack of leadership.....there needs to be a real head coach that is in charge of the entire team.....

that being said - Adams is still out of line as its clear thats the dumb set up the Jets are going with.....his HC is pretty much Greg Williams so of course Gase isnt going to be texting/addressing him......I hate the set up - but its not exactly breaking news!  

I actually have no problem with what Adams said. This organization is dysfunction from the top down. Why sugarcoat it? From a questionable ambassador owner to an absent head to a GM hired after a crucial offseason of spending and a draft to a coach notoriously bad for getting the worst out of players, what the ####?

I don't blame this guy for wanting the next ship out of town. #### the Jets, really, when you think about it. 

This team...

rockaction said:
I actually have no problem with what Adams said. This organization is dysfunction from the top down. Why sugarcoat it? From a questionable ambassador owner to an absent head to a GM hired after a crucial offseason of spending and a draft to a coach notoriously bad for getting the worst out of players, what the ####?

I don't blame this guy for wanting the next ship out of town. #### the Jets, really, when you think about it. 

This team...
Even if you agree 100% with him, in what world is it ok for him to publicly trash his bosses? Imagine trying that in your profession.

There are ways of privately providing feedback and having constructive conversations if these are legitimate concerns.  He's not really interested in that.  He only cares about not getting his money ahead of schedule. The CBA that his union agreed to doesn't provide him with any leverage, so he's trying to become a problem in hopes of getting paid or getting traded to somewhere he does get paid.

Don't believe any of that nonsense about getting traded somewhere and playing under his existing contract.  I bet if we offered him to be the highest paid safety in the league right now, then all this other stuff would go away even if it's all true.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They should trade this guy if they get a good offer. The Jets shouldn't tie up all this money on a box safety, but even if they do, I'm willing to bet this guy complains about his contract in a couple of years and does this again. He's a less talented Mevis.

Even if you agree 100% with him, in what world is it ok for him to publicly trash his bosses? Imagine trying that in your profession.

There are ways of privately providing feedback and having constructive conversations if these are legitimate concerns.  He's not really interested in that.  He only cares about not getting his money ahead of schedule. The CBA that his union agreed to doesn't provide him with any leverage, so he's trying to become a problem in hopes of getting paid or getting traded to somewhere he does get paid.

Don't believe any of that nonsense about getting traded somewhere and playing under his existing contract.  I bet if we offered him to be the highest paid safety in the league right now, then all this other stuff would go away even if it's all true.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They should trade this guy if they get a good offer. The Jets shouldn't tie up all this money on a box safety, but even if they do, I'm willing to bet this guy complains about his contract in a couple of years and does this again. He's a less talented Mevis.
totally agree - everything he says is based on one thing - get traded.  JD is doing the right thing in not even discussing.....it will be a bit harder when the season starts and the media starts asking the players and coaches about it every day....i dont trade him unless a very good offer is on the table.....3 yrs is a lot of leverage.  sit tight and wait it out....Adams is actually lucky there are no fans this yr....he would be booed out of the stadium!  

What other profession is there where you can't quit your current position and sign up for the same one at another company?  If I'm working at McDonald's can't I trash my boss and then get a job at burger King?  Still flipping burgers.

Never understood this about sports fans - for some reason they expect athletes to waste their prime years in terrible situations that they didn't choose to be in that are none of their control.  It's not like the Jets are just a bad team - they're a team that's actively working against their players.  Teams like jets, jags, and Washington deserve to be trashed by players until they start to at least try to get their #### together.

What other profession is there where you can't quit your current position and sign up for the same one at another company?  If I'm working at McDonald's can't I trash my boss and then get a job at burger King?  Still flipping burgers.

Never understood this about sports fans - for some reason they expect athletes to waste their prime years in terrible situations that they didn't choose to be in that are none of their control.  It's not like the Jets are just a bad team - they're a team that's actively working against their players.  Teams like jets, jags, and Washington deserve to be trashed by players until they start to at least try to get their #### together.
He has a contract and team control for 3 more years - if he didnt want to play for the Jets no one forced him to sign the contract.....he and any other player could sit out or go back into the draft.....

of course he has free speech to say what he likes - but he held himself out to be a leader of the team and leaders dont act like this so he deserves all the anger thrown his way....

as for the Jets "actively working against their players" - I have no idea what you are talking about....they have not been good the past few yrs but they made 3 AFC championship games in the last 25 yrs....the new GM has a clear plan with a young franchise QB...besides a bad HC the team is looking up....

i could argue (and I pretty much have) that Gase "actively worked against"  Bell with the way he spoke about and used him last year. And I still dont think that's unreasonable.

Adams is a moron and a diva. And I still think its lame to ##### about money after getting paid 22Mil guaranteed before you even strap a helmet on.  The guy was set for life before he even took a snap. Cry me a river.

Doesn't mean he's wrong about Gase though. He's a weirdo and it wouldn't surprise me at all if other players feel like Adams does. He's on a short leash this year. Was the 2nd half of the season him galvanizing the locker room to a strong finish (despite all the injuries and being mathematically out it) or just luck/an easy schedule/Greg Williams' defense carrying the team?

He'll have every opportunity to show us this year. I'm not a believer, so I hope Gase crashes and burns NOW.  But if that happens, there's a good chance Sam hasn't taken the next step, which would obviously suck (as we're running out of rookie deal runway).

Just a lousy situation, as it usually is with this franchise.

He has a contract and team control for 3 more years - if he didnt want to play for the Jets no one forced him to sign the contract.....he and any other player could sit out or go back into the draft.....

of course he has free speech to say what he likes - but he held himself out to be a leader of the team and leaders dont act like this so he deserves all the anger thrown his way....

as for the Jets "actively working against their players" - I have no idea what you are talking about....they have not been good the past few yrs but they made 3 AFC championship games in the last 25 yrs....the new GM has a clear plan with a young franchise QB...besides a bad HC the team is looking up....
Name me one player in the modern NFL who's sat out or gone back into the draft.  Even Eli forced a trade.  You're living in a fantasy land of you think he had any choice in who he's employed by.

Are you really going to point to the butt fumble jets as any way relevant to the current version?  That was two front offices ago.  Although you're right, the current jets are set up better than I thought they were.  I was wrong there.

I'm obviously speaking out of frustration and trying to see Adams's side, and it's not hard at all if I'm that player. I think everyone brings up good points. It's likely this: Adams is using popular perception to be a Mevis.

The Jets are probably everything he characterizes them as. He's also probably upset with the NFL structure of where and how much he gets paid. Everyone is using whatever leverage they have to make the situation better for themselves. The Jets want the most for their asset. The asset wants the commensurate payment for his services. And thus we sit here. Nobody is doing anything but serving themselves, really. And that's the bottom line of it. We fans like to think in terms of "leaders" and such, but the guys don't see it that way, especially on moribund franchises and teams. Adams is wasting his prime as underpaid and on a lousy team. He knows it. That's the NFL structure and how it's supposed to work. The poor get richer while the assets are controlled. The players don't like that structure.

And thus we have an intractable problem like this. Nothing new, no surprise, really. 

There are lots of jobs out there with non-compete clauses McDonalds is a poor example. .Plus, try explaining your behavior to a potential employer in a professional environment.  I'm sure that will go over well. Maybe in football it doesn't matter, but it does almost everywhere else.

Playing in your prime years in a place you didn't choose is part of the CBA. Once you're done with your first contract, you still have several years in your prime where you control your destiny.

Anyway, I'm moving on.

Hell of a haul for the Jets. Nicely done. 
That’s way more than I would give up for a safety no matter how good, but at the same time, you don’t build a solid franchise if you get forced into trading away young stud players. They got more than I thought they would in a bad situation, but they need to figure out how to get young talent to want to stay there. If they don’t, it doesn’t matter how many high draft picks they have or how many they hit on.

Excellent deal for the Jets...that is a serious haul for almost any player...the Jets have their issues but Adams seems like a disruptive influence and he is going to look for serious coin very soon and did not appear to want to be with the Jets for the long-term...moving him now for that return is a no-brainer...if they're smart they will ax Gase as well then really start to rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread