What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (6 Viewers)

I have them going in my local dynasty. How could we not?
I don't know. I even waiver bid in Summerpalooza for them. Maybe it'll help me win the week.

I guess one reason we couldn't is that I now also play IDP, which I like less than traditional D/ST so far. Not sold on its merits, really. Oh, really, I get to figure out a whole new way in which points don't match performance, really? Sign me up. 

But I digress. AZ seems to be a good pickup, even if I don't know if Fant is starting because I can't bring myself to read one gosh darn word about this team. It's all hullducky. Whatever word we're allowed to use these days. Anyway, I'll let NYRAGE do the hate watching and hate assessing. Just get me to the first pick, fellas. 

Maybe they should have just went with Bridgewater when they had him?
Always really liked Teddy's performance that preseason, but the Jets really couldn't keep both guys realistically. Of course, I know you know that because, well, we discussed it. Suppose they could have kept Teddy, though. What exactly would Sam have learned? Maccagnan wasn't putting anything around him, and Teddy was just literally getting his legs back under him at that point. He hadn't even taken a hit yet because I remember him saying he felt back once he got drilled.

Anyway...the Jets...a ####show from ownership down. Dumpster fire that reeks of petrol. 

Always really liked Teddy's performance that preseason, but the Jets really couldn't keep both guys realistically. Of course, I know you know that because, well, we discussed it. Suppose they could have kept Teddy, though. What exactly would Sam have learned? Maccagnan wasn't putting anything around him, and Teddy was just literally getting his legs back under him at that point. He hadn't even taken a hit yet because I remember him saying he felt back once he got drilled.

Anyway...the Jets...a ####show from ownership down. Dumpster fire that reeks of petrol. 
Bridgewater would have got killed by the Jets.

I know this is crazy but in lieu of the horrific injury to Dak and the leadership to take you to the promised land for Trevor Lawrence, why not trade Darnold to Dallas, not sure exactly what you could get but my thinking is that Dallas is good enough to where they won't be able to Draft a young QB and then develop them, that offense is built to win now and Dak is going to be gone a long time. Maybe Darnold couldn't help them as much this year but they have a cheap QB to teach him the playbook, he has a lot of game experience and then you can stock pile losses with Joe Flacco and get Trevor plus stock pile draft picks...follow my logic here?

McCarthy is going to want to keep himself working and there's no way he can sit back with Dak gone for 18+ months and Dalton as his main QB and just shrug his shoulders. He needs a reality check of where he is at, they need another arm to keep developing. That's just my overreaction today and would be interested in your thoughts, cheers Jets Fans. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is crazy but in lieu of the horrific injury to Dak and the leadership to take you to the promised land for Trevor Lawrence, why not trade Darnold to Dallas, not sure exactly what you could get but my thinking is that Dallas is good enough to where they won't be able to Draft a young QB and then develop them, that offense is built to win now and Dak is going to be gone a long time. Maybe Darnold couldn't help them as much this year but they have a cheap QB to teach him the playbook, he has a lot of game experience and then you can stock pile losses with Joe Flacco and get Trevor plus stock pile draft picks...follow my logic here?

McCarthy is going to want to keep himself working and there's no way he can sit back with Dak gone for 18+ months and Kitna as his main QB and just shrug his shoulders. He needs a reality does of where he is at, they need another arm to keep developing. That's just my overreaction today and would be interested in your thoughts, cheers Jets Fans. 
Done.

I don’t think they’ll trade Sam in-season nor would Dallas want to trade for him in-season - but I like the thoughts and it surely makes sense.

why was james morgan drafted?
In the words of my old message board I used to be a part of -- we used to use this phrase especially whenever there was police brutality that was met with indifference by most yet was of the most egregious sort (think of BLM without race and before the past year. Like seven years ago or so.) -- anyway, I digress. The phrase? "Why? Because #### you, that's why!"

Just so you know I'm not being caustic, "because #### you, that's why" is a phrase we started to use whenever inept but all-powerful authority bared its fangs, us using the phrase as if that were their answer to us asking why they did what they did. Became quite the rallying cry.

The tone in here is just too negative. Let's flip the script.

Let's just post positives about the team. I'll start with:

Um, well, damn it, this is hard. We're still win-less, but we don't even have the #1 pick anymore. We got passed by the Giants and Atlanta due to the schedule.

I can't think of anything. I'll pass for now. I'll let someone else go.

There's nothing positive.

For all of the praise joe douglas got, his draft class (outside of the injured becton) is contributing absolutely nothing at this point.

I can't imagine how empty the stadium would be if fans were allowed.

The biggest concern is ownership, and that is almost impossible to get changed.  However, if you want to flip the script, the Jets and the fans have to commit to and buy into a realistically achievable goal.  It can't be to win games because that's not realistic, but if the goal is to get the 1.01 pick to help start the rebuild then that's a possibility. 

If that's the goal then I can think of some of positives.  Gase is still the head coach.  If anyone can get the Jets to 1.01, it's him.  Another is that Douglas' first draft class hasn't done anything this year, aside from Becton for a couple of games.  If they were to step up, the Jets might win some games and that won't help them get 1.01.  Douglas could have done a better job of selecting players, but it's the coach's job to develop those players and if the goal is 1.01, you have the right coaching staff to not develop the young players.  Gase really only had one goal - to develop Darnold - and he hasn't done that at all.  That's a good way to get 1.01.  Yet another positive is that the Jets are one of the most penalized and undisciplined teams in the league.  You don't win games that way so that definitely helps get to 1.01.

When you really think about it, there's a lot of things to be positive about when you have the right goals.

Of course even during a season where the Jets look like a lock to “earn” the no. 1 pick, There has to be a record number of horrific teams to battle it out with them. Of course the Giants, Atlanta, Jax, Cinncy and the other bottom dwellers have actually been in most of their games unlike the Jets so there’s still hope. The rest of the season has to be an audition for Sam to try and turn things back around so the team can decide if they move on with Lawrence or trade the pick for a haul and continue to build around Darnold.

Of course even during a season where the Jets look like a lock to “earn” the no. 1 pick, There has to be a record number of horrific teams to battle it out with them. Of course the Giants, Atlanta, Jax, Cinncy and the other bottom dwellers have actually been in most of their games unlike the Jets so there’s still hope. The rest of the season has to be an audition for Sam to try and turn things back around so the team can decide if they move on with Lawrence or trade the pick for a haul and continue to build around Darnold.
It’s not very often that teams end up regretting moving on from an unproven QB after a few years. Especially if they have an opportunity to draft a highly rated QB. The Cards moved on from Rosen real quick and it was clearly the right move. I can’t think of too many times where a team gave up on a QB early and that QB proved the team wrong. Drew Brees maybe?

Speaking of Darnold, did anybody see Chase Stuart's tweet about how realistic it was to think he'll turn things around? He pluggged in starters in the league for three years with the ANY/A and Y/A of Darnold and it brought up some ugly names in comparison. Like Christian Ponder and Kyle Boller.

The Sam experiment looks dead statistically, it looks dead to the eye, it feels ghosty. Let's bury it and speak of it no more. 

It’s not very often that teams end up regretting moving on from an unproven QB after a few years. Especially if they have an opportunity to draft a highly rated QB. The Cards moved on from Rosen real quick and it was clearly the right move. I can’t think of too many times where a team gave up on a QB early and that QB proved the team wrong. Drew Brees maybe?
Agree. While it's hard to truly judge Darnold with this supporting cast and with Gase being so overmatched but at some point he needs to rise above the mess and show he's a franchise QB. He's shown flashes during his first two seasons but at this point he seems broken and this has been his worst season so far. My preference would be to turn the page with Lawrence and I have read some reports stating the Jets would be able to move Darnold for a second and maybe even a late first - not sure I buy that, but even better if so.

Douglas has to start shopping Bell. The one reason to keep him around is to not take away another weapon from Sam, but Gase refuses to use Bell properly anyway. There's not much difference if Sam hands the ball to Gore or Bell to run up the middle for 3 yards.

Douglas has to start shopping Bell. The one reason to keep him around is to not take away another weapon from Sam, but Gase refuses to use Bell properly anyway. There's not much difference if Sam hands the ball to Gore or Bell to run up the middle for 3 yards.
Firing Gase would help this as well - Gase refuses to showcase Bell nor give Perine any run to develop......I respect the heck out of Frank Gore but every snap he takes is an absolute waste on this team.....firing Gase would help increase Bell's trade value and get Perine some much needed starts to see if they have something or need to invest next year. 

For all we know, Bell is mostly shot from a talent perspective.  He's "only"  like 28.5 years old, but he wouldn't be the first elite back to fall off the face of the earth around that age. (shaun Alexander was MVP at 28, mostly sucked the following year and then was done at 30). So its possible that he's just not good anymore.

But Gase clearly had a bug up his ### about him from day 1. He's never even tried to utilize him properly. Just keeps running him up the gut behind a bad o-line.

I cant believe I am so apethetic only 5 weeks in - with so many more games to go but here we are....I cant even do my usual rundown of all positions but instead some random thoughts

If Johnson is stubbornly going to refuse to fire Gase after 2 HCs with Superbowl and continual playoff experience are fired based on same records then he needs to come out and face the heat every week.  The Jets were always the underdog franchise in the NFL....the Clippers to the Lakers so to speak....but even in their mediocre history there has never been a run like this. They are the joke of the league....every announcer, pundit, commentator, coach, GM, fan I have heard literally laughs at them and confirms they are the worst franchise in the NFL and its not even close....every time you think it cant get any worse it does.....yet Johnson stubbornly limps along.....they deserve the coming loss of sponsors and season ticket holders next year.  

Living through the Kotite years was bad - but it was clear that that team just didnt know how to win - Parcells fixed that.....this team is simply bad.  the coaching, the players and yes the GM have been bad.  JD still gets a pass based on the Mac mess but he essentially did a Idzizk and punted on the year - he needs to take a hit for that......his draft besides Becton (who the franchise allowed Gase to play injured) and a punter has been god awful.  I know they are injured but part of a draft is to draft durable players.....one or two injuries are fine but the entire class reflects poorly on the organization.  The ones that are getting healthy like Davis and Perine arent even getting snaps on the worst team in the league....what does that tell you?  It is a train wreck talent wise and watching guys who wont be here for the future like Flacco, Bell, Gore, Hogan, etc is brutal. 

You want to get really depressed - lets say there was an expansion draft tomorrow - who are the players that other teams would really want as pieces and we would hate to lose......I can only come up with 1 player...Becton.....maybe Crowder who should be a very good #3 WR for a winning team.  The rest I literally wouldnt flinch or be upset, if they were traded, cut or whatever.  That's 1-2 players in an entire franchise....Im not putting Sam on the list because he is due to make $20M after last year - no team in the league is going to pay that based on what he has done.....he will likely go to a winning team like SF/Pit/Indy and be a backup for a year and then have a solid career......it just wont be here because they ruined him.  I used to dream about finding a franchise QB now they had one and blew it.....I am hoping they get Lawrence more to just reset the clock contract wise.  If they give him similar poor coaching and players he will be lousy too.  

The ones that are getting healthy like Davis and Perine arent even getting snaps on the worst team in the league....what does that tell you? 
I'm nor sure it tells us much to be honest. I don't think Perine has looked bad I just think he's being buried by a stubborn coach that seems to like running up the gut and only running up the gut. As far as Mims goes, I'm still not willing to write him off. I get drafting "durable" players but how do you really know that. I think Mims was a good prospect at a position of need. I'm not saying he's not a bust but I'm surely not saying he is yet.

I cant believe I am so apethetic only 5 weeks in - with so many more games to go but here we are....I cant even do my usual rundown of all positions but instead some random thoughts

If Johnson is stubbornly going to refuse to fire Gase after 2 HCs with Superbowl and continual playoff experience are fired based on same records then he needs to come out and face the heat every week.  The Jets were always the underdog franchise in the NFL....the Clippers to the Lakers so to speak....but even in their mediocre history there has never been a run like this. They are the joke of the league....every announcer, pundit, commentator, coach, GM, fan I have heard literally laughs at them and confirms they are the worst franchise in the NFL and its not even close....every time you think it cant get any worse it does.....yet Johnson stubbornly limps along.....they deserve the coming loss of sponsors and season ticket holders next year.  

Living through the Kotite years was bad - but it was clear that that team just didnt know how to win - Parcells fixed that.....this team is simply bad.  the coaching, the players and yes the GM have been bad.  JD still gets a pass based on the Mac mess but he essentially did a Idzizk and punted on the year - he needs to take a hit for that......his draft besides Becton (who the franchise allowed Gase to play injured) and a punter has been god awful.  I know they are injured but part of a draft is to draft durable players.....one or two injuries are fine but the entire class reflects poorly on the organization.  The ones that are getting healthy like Davis and Perine arent even getting snaps on the worst team in the league....what does that tell you?  It is a train wreck talent wise and watching guys who wont be here for the future like Flacco, Bell, Gore, Hogan, etc is brutal. 
Yeah, the apathy is palpable.

The only time I got even mildly upset yesterday was when they SOMEHOW managed to take a delay of game penalty after the Williamson interception.

It was only 7-0 at that point. Williamson picks off Murray and takes it all the back to the 10.  The offense had gotten stopped on downs (2 plays with 1 yard to gain...stopped both times....lol)  the previous possession, so you think they'd be fired up and ready to go.  But somehow....on a change of possession....they dont have time to get the offense onto the field, call a play and execute it.   And even though they're mid-way through the 2nd quarter will all 3 timeouts in their pocket.....they take a DELAY OF GAME!!!?!?!?! Are you freaking kidding me?

Bell gained 7 yards on the next play, Flacco has to pass twice (since they 8 yards to gain) and they have to kick a FG. If I actually still had passion/hope for this team, I might have broken my TV.

I doubt Bell is worth anything - however, I would be fine with them selling Crowder.  I'm sure he can return a 4th, maybe even a 3rd if JD really panhandles someone.  

Assuming 1 overall (unfortunately the wrong year to assume that with all the aforementioned other trash in the league) - move the Crowder return + Sam to get someone's 1st (Pitt, Dal as was suggested earlier).  Trevor Lawrence + 4 more 1st's in the rest of the 2021+2022 draft to go along with Becton.  Draft actual NFL starters.  Turn into an NFL team.

You want to get really depressed - lets say there was an expansion draft tomorrow - who are the players that other teams would really want as pieces and we would hate to lose......I can only come up with 1 player...Becton.....maybe Crowder who should be a very good #3 WR for a winning team.  The rest I literally wouldnt flinch or be upset, if they were traded, cut or whatever.  That's 1-2 players in an entire franchise....Im not putting Sam on the list because he is due to make $20M after last year - no team in the league is going to pay that based on what he has done.....he will likely go to a winning team like SF/Pit/Indy and be a backup for a year and then have a solid career......it just wont be here because they ruined him.  I used to dream about finding a franchise QB now they had one and blew it.....I am hoping they get Lawrence more to just reset the clock contract wise.  If they give him similar poor coaching and players he will be lousy too.  
I add Maye to that short list - but it wouldn't be a devastating loss. Yes this team just does not have a ton of talent - but I still have faith in Douglas. I think he's a smart football guy and I think it should be obvious why he's holding onto the cap space and not wasting it on band aids for a team that has no chance to win.

The biggest concern is ownership, and that is almost impossible to get changed.  However, if you want to flip the script, the Jets and the fans have to commit to and buy into a realistically achievable goal.  It can't be to win games because that's not realistic, but if the goal is to get the 1.01 pick to help start the rebuild then that's a possibility. 

If that's the goal then I can think of some of positives.  Gase is still the head coach.  If anyone can get the Jets to 1.01, it's him.  Another is that Douglas' first draft class hasn't done anything this year, aside from Becton for a couple of games.  If they were to step up, the Jets might win some games and that won't help them get 1.01.  Douglas could have done a better job of selecting players, but it's the coach's job to develop those players and if the goal is 1.01, you have the right coaching staff to not develop the young players.  Gase really only had one goal - to develop Darnold - and he hasn't done that at all.  That's a good way to get 1.01.  Yet another positive is that the Jets are one of the most penalized and undisciplined teams in the league.  You don't win games that way so that definitely helps get to 1.01.

When you really think about it, there's a lot of things to be positive about when you have the right goals.
I was being sarcastic. I'm definitely rooting for them to get the #1 pick although that hasn't always been the most welcome topic on this board.

Gase does give them the best chance to keep losing, but at the same time, you can't help but be somewhat afraid that these terrible owners keep him around. We've seen it time and time before. Bowles, Maccagnan, etc.  Plus who knows what other emotional damage Gase does to any young or borderline-salvageable player.

Even if you exclude Gase’s entire coaching history, one target for Bell in a game that the Jets were playing catch-up all day is a fireable offense on it own merit. I still can’t believe the Jets hired him in the first place. If they play this right, they will get the best QB prospect you could ask for. They’ll screw it up somehow though. 

Speaking of Darnold, did anybody see Chase Stuart's tweet about how realistic it was to think he'll turn things around? He pluggged in starters in the league for three years with the ANY/A and Y/A of Darnold and it brought up some ugly names in comparison. Like Christian Ponder and Kyle Boller.

The Sam experiment looks dead statistically, it looks dead to the eye, it feels ghosty. Let's bury it and speak of it no more. 
I defended Sam for the past couple of years, but I stopped after like game 1 this season.

I have friends that whenever Darnold makes a mistake (INT, fumble, bad pass) blame it on Gase. Come on. Open your eyes. People have to stop making excuses for the guy.  Yes, the scheme sucks and his supporting teammates aren't very good, but just watch the games or tape. He repeatedly has missed seeing open players. He has under/over-thrown players. He takes sacks instead of getting rid of the ball and lacks situational awareness like when he ran out of bounds on third down.

Flacco isn't very good, but even he looked better than Sam. None of those stupid mistakes. Was that even a motion play we saw yesterday? Gase doesn't trust any motion with Darnold and won't let him audible.

Herndon looks miserable. The drops are unforgivable.

You can criticize JD's draft, but I still think it's way too early to tell in a season with basically no camp and tons of injuries. HOWEVER, I'm concerned about his acumen for finding interior 0-linemen. Wasn't he a lineman himself? Both of his free agent center acquisitions of the past 2 seasons have been AWFUL. Van Rotten has been terrible at guard, too. We're getting killed on the interior in pass rush situations. Fant is ok at tackle, but looks like an All-Pro next to them. 

As a Miami Dolphin fan I am scared ####less they are going to pull this off and I almsot hope we throw a couple games to increase our pick since we aren't quite all there yet and also so we don't see Trevor Lawrence in a Gang Green uniform turning into the Green Lantern and destroying us defensively Twice a year I might add for the next Decade...I'll Pass thank you very much. 

Getting playing time for the rooks is a good reason to fire Gase now - why would he play Perine when he is coaching for his future livelihood.  Hes not going to endure rookie mistakes even in there is no upside....at least firing Gase should keep us from seeing Gore on the field again. 

IMO There is zero chance someone sends a first rounder for Sam.....they would be paying for 1 yr on a reasonable contract then $20M.....maybe a late 2d if JD can work his magic.....Bell would fetch a 5th/6th maybe....Id keep Crowder as they need to throw to someone and his contract is not crazy.  

BTW - how frustrating is it that the Fins trade for a future 1st from a playoff team and they will likely reap a top 10 pick while Jets do it and Seattle is on a roll to the super bowl and one of the last few picks in the 1st rd.  

I don't think he's worth anything either, but with no real cap hit and with Gase not willing to use him anyway, I'd take a 5th or 6th just to at least give some ammunition to move around in next year's draft.
No cap hit?  I assumed the opposite...I would agree then, maybe a late pick.  Sell it all.

As a Miami Dolphin fan I am scared ####less they are going to pull this off and I almsot hope we throw a couple games to increase our pick since we aren't quite all there yet and also so we don't see Trevor Lawrence in a Gang Green uniform turning into the Green Lantern and destroying us defensively Twice a year I midd add for the next Decade...I'll Pass thank you very much. 
moving up one of the Fin games actually helps the Jets as Fitz should still be the QB.....as long as the Fins are in contention they will likely play Fitz.....my only fear for a win is if the Jets play Tua.  

As a Miami Dolphin fan I am scared ####less they are going to pull this off and I almsot hope we throw a couple games to increase our pick since we aren't quite all there yet and also so we don't see Trevor Lawrence in a Gang Green uniform turning into the Green Lantern and destroying us defensively Twice a year I might add for the next Decade...I'll Pass thank you very much. 
The good thing for Miami is that they also own Houston's first round pick which is looking like  top 10 pick right now as well.

moving up one of the Fin games actually helps the Jets as Fitz should still be the QB.....as long as the Fins are in contention they will likely play Fitz.....my only fear for a win is if the Jets play Tua.  
You should hope they let Gase continue on and draw up game plans, otherwise the next coach might do something stupid like fire everyone up and win 2-3 games down the stretch. 

The good thing for Miami is that they also own Houston's first round pick which is looking like  top 10 pick right now as well.
Miami has a soft schedule next many weeks until about December...6-6, 7-5, 8-4 believe it with some fo the cream puffs including your Jets twice coming up. Bengals, Chargers, just nothing besides the Rams but Miami closes with 4 playoff caliber teams, that will be the test of were they are and that's why i doubt Tua will see the field at all this year. What if Miami were to go on a run and finish 9-7, 10-6...Flores would have had an amazing turnaround from an 0-7 start and a team stripped down to the bare walls prior to 2019. 

No 12 and No 18 is where they are forecasting the Two picks but we have Houston 2nd Round as well so maybe 4 of the Top 50 to add to this roster which is coming together. 

Miami has a soft schedule next many weeks until about December...6-6, 7-5, 8-4 believe it with some fo the cream puffs including your Jets twice coming up. Bengals, Chargers, just nothing besides the Rams but Miami closes with 4 playoff caliber teams, that will be the test of were they are and that's why i doubt Tua will see the field at all this year. What if Miami were to go on a run and finish 9-7, 10-6...Flores would have had an amazing turnaround from an 0-7 start and a team stripped down to the bare walls prior to 2019. 

No 12 and No 18 is where they are forecasting the Two picks but we have Houston 2nd Round as well so maybe 4 of the Top 50 to add to this roster which is coming together. 
To be honest I would have no problem with Tua not seeing the field this year - give the team a taste of success...if they fall out of it the last game or two then give the kid a cup of coffee.  Much better to follow the Mahomes timeline then starting right away IMO.  

I don't think he's worth anything either, but with no real cap hit and with Gase not willing to use him anyway, I'd take a 5th or 6th just to at least give some ammunition to move around in next year's draft.
His base salary is still $8.5m. That's a pro-rated $5m cap hit that no other team is going to take even if he was still a good player (which doesn't appear to be the case). 

I don't think you can give a team a draft pick (much less get one) to take him off our hands considering next year's cap situation.

His base salary is still $8.5m. That's a pro-rated $5m cap hit that no other team is going to take even if he was still a good player (which doesn't appear to be the case). 

I don't think you can give a team a draft pick (much less get one) to take him off our hands considering next year's cap situation.
The way he has been used I definitely agree.....if they would actually showcase him and show he's still got something to give - I could see a playoff team hit by injuries take him on in a few weeks when the pro rated hit goes down...most likely he will be here for the season though

gotta love looking up over the cap and seeing Quincy Enunwa and Trumain on the books for $15M this yr and $11M next yr!  

To be honest I would have no problem with Tua not seeing the field this year - give the team a taste of success...if they fall out of it the last game or two then give the kid a cup of coffee.  Much better to follow the Mahomes timeline then starting right away IMO.  
Could not agree more with you. The OL inadvertently thru injury might have found their groove and Hunt settled in at RT, he was the #39 overall pick this year and has had a few weeks to watch Jackson get manhandled, he looked sensational for a Rookie in his 1st game. What's even better is RT would be Tua's blind side in theory...if Hunt is the real deal and a better than average player, i get more comfortable with Tua at least having a small set of designed plays like those Wildcat formations we were running yesterday. 

Users who are viewing this thread