What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (7 Viewers)

I can see them trading down from the 3rd Rd pick for more picks, trying to recoup next years 2nd, or grab an additional late 3rd or 4th....

Let's Go!
I think they will also trade their third to move back in the third and pick up another 4th/5th rounder. Unfortunately it's the 8th pick of the 3rd round due to rotating picks of teams that finished with tied records. Our former second round pick that we traded to Indy had moved up to 5th (from 6th).

Lance Zierlein‏Verified account @LanceZierlein 3h3 hours ago

Baker is going #1. That’s happening, but figuring out 2 will be extremely difficult since the buzz is that the Giants don’t love these QBs. The Bills could move to 2 but would they take Allen or Darnold? Do we live in a world where it’s Mayfield, Allen and THEN Darnold?

I've really thought  Mayfield @ #1 = smokes screen, but with all of the "insiders" starting to report, I'm having trouble not getting my hopes up. I don't want him in NY on either team.
If it doesn't happen, have to give Dorsey and the Browns a A+ for trolling.

I've really thought  Mayfield @ #1 = smokes screen, but with all of the "insiders" starting to report, I'm having trouble not getting my hopes up. I don't want him in NY on either team.
If it doesn't happen, have to give Dorsey and the Browns a A+ for trolling.
That was my reaction, too.

Lance Zierlein‏Verified account @LanceZierlein 47m47 minutes ago

Hearing Rosen over Darnold at 3 so if Sam doesn't go 2 (Denver trade up or Bills trade up), he could fall to 4 and it will be raining picks in the Browns laps once again. As crazy as it sounds, the Bucs are poised to get one of the top 3 players in this draft at pick 7.

Well if Baker goes #1 I'll be rooting for Darnold....but certainly not upset with Rosen...only way my night is ruined if its Allen or some weird Kyle Brady like curve ball!  

Well if Baker goes #1 I'll be rooting for Darnold....but certainly not upset with Rosen...only way my night is ruined if its Allen or some weird Kyle Brady like curve ball!  
Bowles will probably petition for Bradley Chubb to replace Wilkerson and Richardson and Woody will order Mac to take him.

If that happens there is no need to look for me....I'll be done with this team until further notice.. ..wish I could laugh it off but it isnt a crazy possibility with this team !!!

If that happens there is no need to look for me....I'll be done with this team until further notice.. ..wish I could laugh it off but it isnt a crazy possibility with this team !!!
Don't worry, the only way this could get messed up is if they draft Allen.

Ha.... I'll never give this up. But, I fully expect to be shaking my head laughing crying and laughing as always with the Jets.

I'm going to start drinking early -

Wow, that trade worked out great. Kudos to McCags.

Who would have thought that Darnold would have been available, especially when we were sitting at 6.  I liked Rosen a lot, but Darnold has a clean medical record and can move around better.
On the other hand, the way this is shaking up you might have gotten Rosen at 6 and kept your 3 1st round picks...

Wow, that trade worked out great. Kudos to McCags.

Who would have thought that Darnold would have been available, especially when we were sitting at 6.  I liked Rosen a lot, but Darnold has a clean medical record and can move around better.
This is what I felt - Rosen scared me as a constant injury headache, a la Chad Pennington. 

sucks that they could have stayed at 6 and gotten Rosen, but they got their guy. If he's what we hope he can be, it doesn't matter what they gave up/

I’m glad Buffalo or Miami did not get Rosen.

I never expected Darnold to be there so I’m still in shock a bit - I’m feeling really good about him though.

Say what you want about McCown but he’ll be a tremendous mentor for him. Let’s just hope the team learned from past mistakes on how to develop a young QB. 

Sometimes you have to be aggressive and lucky.....I never expected it to break this way.....this makes all the pain from last yr go away....sure they could have just stayed the course and "tanked" by playing the lousy kid QBs...they decided to try to win and build a culture...it cost them 3 2d rd picks but it's a small price to pay if this kid is who I think he is.....maybe its the adrenaline or the bourbon but I firmly believe that this kid will take the Jets to the promised land.  He's a winner....he's everything a franchise QB should be.....dont let last yrs blip fool you....hes the real deal....Jets did the right thing with the trade and finally it paid off.....man am I smiling tonight!!!!  

Wow. Let the Browns reach and take your franchise QB at three. 

Of course when Mayfield lights it up next year we will be saying differently, but I'd rather have chalk at this point.  

OK...... It worked out - I would have Had Rosen and 3 more 2nds - The value dropping to the 2nd gonna hurt tonight... Could have gotten 2 of OL/TE/WR

But, as ppl said, If Darnold is the guy, it will all wash out..

Now... NO WAY I START HIM WEEK 1.....   Youngest QB drafted ever?  yeah, let him watch McCown Game plan, watch tape and deal with Manish a few weeks at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a little stunned it broke the way it did (I totally thought the Giants would take Darnold or trade to someone who would take him), so it has yet to sink in for me.  I guess I was resigned to the fact that we would select Rosen.  Still not sure who will be the better of the two, but I appreciate the Jets selecting a low floor guy, who won't give us any trouble.

OK...... It worked out - I would have Had Rosen and 3 more 2nds - The value dropping to the 2nd gonna hurt tonight... Could have gotten 2 of OL/TE/WR

But, as ppl said, If Darnold is the guy, it will all wash out..

Now... NO WAY I START HIM WEEK 1.....   Youngest QB drafted ever?  yeah, let him watch McCown Game plan, watch tape and deal with Manish a few weeks at least.
Now that we (allegedly) have a franchise QB, I'm 100% ok with letting McCown start the season and have Darnold learn. McCown played very well last season and has always looked pretty good on the field - staying healthy was his main issue. With what looks like a pretty easy schedule riding McCown out and seeing what happens makes sense this year (unlike last year). Things will work themselves out and Darnold will likely be forced into action - assuming Teddy does not make it - but there's no need to throw him out there right away. We are committed to him for his rookie contract at this point, we will see what he has eventually. 

I was a little stunned it broke the way it did (I totally thought the Giants would take Darnold or trade to someone who would take him), so it has yet to sink in for me.  I guess I was resigned to the fact that we would select Rosen.  Still not sure who will be the better of the two, but I appreciate the Jets selecting a low floor guy, who won't give us any trouble.
They say he has a high floor with the potential of high ceiling.

I never thought we could get him. I'm not used to things breaking our way. I'm thrilled today.  I wasn't resigned to getting Rosen. I was hoping to get Rosen and was scared of the Jets allegedly being enamored with Mayfield. I was even more scared of getting Allen although I loved his arm. I thought Allen had an incredible post-season pre-draft run until that Twitter scandal.

Football aside, I think Allen, Rosen, and Mayfield were all potential disasters in waiting with our media. Rosen just could not shut his mouth over the past few weeks when he should have. Our media would have baited him like crazy. It would have gotten old quick.  That said, I think he is a hell of a passer.  However, he's not very mobile and with our current o-line and McCag's apparent aversion to getting o-line help, I'm not sure how long Rosen would have lasted given the concussion and shoulder history.  He's not very solidly built. Plus there is the talk of him not being very well-liked which I was starting to see. 

Darnold is more mobile, can throw on the run which will be a weapon in our offense, has a clean medical history, no off the field issues, and has the personality to survive in NY. He's a winner. They just need to clean up the fumbling issues. He's only 20 years old. Holy cow.

The question of whether you would rather have Rosen and three seconds vs Darnold is in a way hindsight now. At the beginning of the draft season, it didn't look like either would be available. It looked like Darnold at 1 and Rosen at 2. Even with Barkley going off at the Combine, it was still very possible that the Giants were going QB. It wasn't until the past week or so that the Giants were probably going with Barkley and even until they announced it last night, you didn't know. 

We had to trade up to 3 at the time. The risk of not getting a QB was too much. Plus, moving up to 3 gave us a chance to let a top QB slip to 3 as it turned out.  Indy was looking to trade out. If not us, they would have traded with someone else. There were a half dozen teams needing a QB looking to trade up. It was a move that we had to make. If we didn't make that trade, then I'm almost certain things would have been different. Someone like Buffalo would have traded up. 

Denver might have gone with a QB if Cleveland didn't leave Chubb out there after the 4th pick. Not sure how many people expected that. I think that changed the QB outlook, too.

Rosen's valued declined as people became wary of his personality, dedication to the game (which i think is silly), and durability (legitimate). It wasn't until the past week or two that people were saying that he was going to slide. This wasn't the case when we made the trade.

We'll see how all of this turns out over time. No one really knows right now. For now, I'm happy how it turned out.

Morning after and still can't believe they landed Darnold.  Leo Williams, Adams and now Darnold - 3 players regarded as potentially the #1 pick in the draft slipping somehow into the Jets hands....these 3 should form the basis of a great run over the next 10 yrs....blue chip solid players just starting or reaching their potential....solid citizens/personalities....with leadership qualities....this is how Super Bowl teams are built...now they just need to have this coaching staff develop them in to the pro bow talent that is there.  Im still not a fan of Bowles but if Bates develops Darnold thats all that matters....If Bowles doesnt get better and Darnold develops I can even see Bates as HC in near future...lots of interesting possibilities.  

This season now has one purpose for me - develop the young talent while continuing the change of culture to winning.  Biggest weakness right now is OL and that is a problem with a young franchise QB....McCown is a perfect mentor for the year and to take the initial shots while the OL develops and jells together.  Unless the kid is unreal in camp I sit him for at least a few weeks to learn how to be a pro....to me it would be nice to make a playoff run but I could even live with a 6-7 win season if they continue to develop and they work in Darnold the last few weeks.  To be honest another top 10 pick to use on a franchise LT would be worth it -

Im eyeing up 2019....Leo/Adams should be hitting prime and Darnold getting into the groove - $100M to spend in the offseason before along with 1 more top pick....man its amazing what a little luck will do for a franchise.  1s time Im optimistic since the last playoff run...and thats been a long time already!  

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports teams have contacted the Jets about acquiring QB Bryce Petty.

The Jets no longer have any need for Petty after drafting Sam Darnold third overall and signing Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater to one-year deals this offseason. Petty has yet to make any real impact in the NFL, compiling a dismal 57.7 quarterback rating with four touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 10 games including seven starts for New York. The Baylor alum could probably be had for a late-rounder.
Teams are calling about Petty?

Hope you get 2yrs ago Darnold, and not last season's. 

Has a ton of potential, but he really lost a fan in me this year. Hope he balls for you guys, and Baker for us. 

Sucking sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread