What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (10 Viewers)

Oh my God. The Pats just signed...wait for it...

not Curtis Samuel, but Nelson Agholor.

Two years at 26 million dollars. That's a heck of a payday.
Ugh - if Agholor got $13M yr imagine what Samuel, JuJu and Goliday are asking for.......I agree with TLEF....the Jets dont have to pay anyone for a while......these one yr dumpster dives may have value but at some point they need difference makers and studs....there is no reason to sign at least 1 or 2 studs with $70M to spend....most contracts have an out after 2 yrs...no one is getting paid for a while on this team....

Keeps getting better.....

Yannick Ngakoue reached agreement on a two-year, $26 million deal with the Las Vegas Raiders, per source. - $13M per yr is really good for a pass rusher like him.....

Pats add Bourne who I thought they would target for the SF connection 3 yrs $22M.....Id  much rather spend $7M per yr on him than the Detroit bench warmer.  You can say the Pats may have overpaid a bit but you cant deny they are a much more talented team than they were at the start of the day....Jets are the same.  

Pats add Bourne who I thought they would target for the SF connection 3 yrs $22M.....Id  much rather spend $7M per yr on him than the Detroit bench warmer.  You can say the Pats may have overpaid a bit but you cant deny they are a much more talented team than they were at the start of the day....Jets are the same.  
The Pats are spending over $20MM on Agholor and Bourne. If the Jets signed Golladay or JJSS for $18MM tomorrow they would come out ahead and I think $18 is likely the ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not a huge fan of Davis but willing to be open minded about it - and that’s a pretty team friendly contract.
I was talking C Dvis for a while now....while Id rather have Golliday this is a great value signing for a playmaker.....hes got height...speed....solid hands and has all the measurables of a #1 WR for only $12M yr.....he finally put it together and was reaching his potential as a top 10 pick....biggest issue is he would disappear in games but a lot of that was Tenn pounding the run.....I like the signing for the $ and gives them a very respectable WR corp of Davis, Mims with Crowder in the slot....thats respectable.  

I love it. One of the most efficient receivers last year comes to the Jets. He's not a number one, but he's a solid two. If we bring back Crowder, which we likely won't, or draft one, which we likely will, then that's a solid receiving corps. Good blocker, though nobody cares.

Shouldn't have sold my share of Davis in dynasty.

I love it. One of the most efficient receivers last year comes to the Jets. He's not a number one, but he's a solid two. If we bring back Crowder, which we likely won't, or draft one, which we likely will, then that's a solid receiving corps. Good blocker, though nobody cares.

Shouldn't have sold my share of Davis in dynasty.
I don’t necessarily agree Davis isn’t a number one. He was injured early in his career and then AJ Brown emerged as the number one in a run heavy offense. 

Shouldn't have sold my share of Davis inasty.
Crowder is still a wild card....wouldnt shock me if they cut him and sign JuJu at $14M per yr which is only $4M more for a huge improvement.....he added a playmaker but at value....definitely his MO

Sigh. The guy I didn't want.

Have a feeling they're really gonna regret not just spending an extra 2 mil for juju
If they released Crowder they still could sign JJSS, who also plays mostly in the slot, for about $5MM more. Not sure they do that but if Davis reaches his potential, he could be more valuable as an outside guy.

Davis is surely better than Perriman, so even if they stand pat they’ve improved their WR corp. 

Crowder is still a wild card....wouldnt shock me if they cut him and sign JuJu at $14M per yr which is only $4M more for a huge improvement.....he added a playmaker but at value....definitely his MO
Crowder has been there most consistent WR...not sure why they would cut him. 

Is Mims a total bust? Sorry I haven't trolled in here much but what do you homers think of him? Wasn't he hurt? covid year and bad QB play and all? Because if he is any good and if they keep Crowder/get Juju/draft someone this could be a very formidable group.

i like the jets strategy.  target 1st round busts.  really, no team in the league is better at knowing and evaluating a 1st round bust than the jets.  all i want is a return to the nfl next year.  nothing glamourous.

Is Mims a total bust? Sorry I haven't trolled in here much but what do you homers think of him? Wasn't he hurt? covid year and bad QB play and all? Because if he is any good and if they keep Crowder/get Juju/draft someone this could be a very formidable group.
Mims came into camp injured and took a while to get on the field. He showed flashes once he was healthy despite Gase’s anemic offense that didn’t really take advantage of his strengths.

I don’t think he can be fully judged yet but I’m expecting him to show something.

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
Mims came into camp injured and took a while to get on the field. He showed flashes once he was healthy despite Gase’s anemic offense that didn’t really take advantage of his strengths.

I don’t think he can be fully judged yet but I’m expecting him to show something.
That's what I've been thinking. Drafted relatively high in a historic class, amazing athlete. I thought I remember seeing a couple flashes later in the season. 2nd year WR syndrome = FF cheat code occasionally. I'm very much of the opinion that the more talented the group, the better it is for the individual in FF, so Davis/Mims/solid slot guy seems pretty good to me. And certainly for the NFL. I'd try to keep Crowder myself since he is there already. Juju is much younger though.

He was hurt for about six or so games. IIRC, when healthy, Mims had one of the lowest catch rates and QB rating rates among eligible receivers. He also played with Joe Flacco and Sam Darnold. YMMV in your assessment.

That's what I've been thinking. Drafted relatively high in a historic class, amazing athlete. I thought I remember seeing a couple flashes later in the season. 2nd year WR syndrome = FF cheat code occasionally. I'm very much of the opinion that the more talented the group, the better it is for the individual in FF, so Davis/Mims/solid slot guy seems pretty good to me. And certainly for the NFL. I'd try to keep Crowder myself since he is there already. Juju is much younger though.
Crowder being there already probably doesn’t amount to much with a new coaching staff and more than likely a new QB - but I’m ok with keeping him.

Crowder being there already probably doesn’t amount to much with a new coaching staff and more than likely a new QB - but I’m ok with keeping him.
Yeah I just meant locker room wise and knowing the building that kind of thing. Or if they shock everyone and keep Darnold. I don't know how realistic that is.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1371625529674235904?s=21

DE Carl Lawson to the Jets. 3/$45M. $30M guaranteed. 
ok, this one I can get behind. Obviously not huge sack production, but led the league in QB pressures at his position.

If you can't get a straight up 15 sack stud, you get as many good guys as you can and hope the aggregate pressure stacks up. Teams will have to account for him, leaving fewer blockers to deal with Q.

They really just need to luck into a 3rd or 4th rounder that turns into a double digit guy.

ok, this one I can get behind. Obviously not huge sack production, but led the league in QB pressures at his position.

If you can't get a straight up 15 sack stud, you get as many good guys as you can and hope the aggregate pressure stacks up. Teams will have to account for him, leaving fewer blockers to deal with Q.

They really just need to luck into a 3rd or 4th rounder that turns into a double digit guy.
very good pairing with Q.....finally should get pressure inside and outside...

So they have spent about $34M so far....that leaves about $35M left without further cuts....I think we've seen the big splashes....now probably looking at depth and values unless he gets creative with a Crowder/JuJu swap....still a lot of value so he can grab definite improved starters....

He filled 2 big holes though - so going into the draft the glaring needs are IOL/RB/CB - likely addressed with the Seattle pick, and next two picks....maybe an additional 2d rder for Sam...going to take another offseason of FA/draft but definite improvement.  .  

I have a feeling Jets moves are going to get panned in the media but I like them. 

Per Rich Cimini -Lawson had most QB pressures of any ROLB and RDE in the NFL last year (most in NFL), his first as a 3 down player.

Corey Davis was a big favorite of PFF for what it’s worth. Very solid grades, top five in yards per route run and Tannehill had over a 120 passer rating when targeting Davis. Also an excellent blocker which is imperative in 49er style offense. 

Jarrad Davis is the signing I have no idea. He gets very good pass rush grades from ILB spot but was pretty horrendous against the run. Just seems like a lot to give up for pass rushing middle linebacker.

jarrad davis seems like a worse version of darron lee.  if that is even possible.  i mean, they signed arguably the worst LB in the league during 2019?

Yeah, the Davis signing, especially for 7 million, makes ZERO sense. Dude probably thought they accidentally added an extra zero when he saw the offer sheet.

jarrad davis seems like a worse version of darron lee.  if that is even possible.  i mean, they signed arguably the worst LB in the league during 2019?
It’s a one year gamble but 7 mil is a lot for a player who was atrocious against the run. I’m assuming he will be used as a rusher exclusively on passing downs.

Yeah, the Davis signing, especially for 7 million, makes ZERO sense. Dude probably thought they accidentally added an extra zero when he saw the offer sheet.
worst signing of the day....have a feeling they deal Mosely....hoping its like Fant which was a head scratching deal but wound up ok...not great but not awful

worst signing of the day....have a feeling they deal Mosely....hoping its like Fant which was a head scratching deal but wound up ok...not great but not awful
Yes. I don’t like the deal either but maybe Douglas and Saleh see something and feel Detroit didn’t use him correctly (which wouldn’t be shocking).

However even with that said who were they bidding against to need to offer $7MM?

I have a feeling Jets moves are going to get panned in the media but I like them. 

Per Rich Cimini -Lawson had most QB pressures of any ROLB and RDE in the NFL last year (most in NFL), his first as a 3 down player.

Corey Davis was a big favorite of PFF for what it’s worth. Very solid grades, top five in yards per route run and Tannehill had over a 120 passer rating when targeting Davis. Also an excellent blocker which is imperative in 49er style offense. 

Jarrad Davis is the signing I have no idea. He gets very good pass rush grades from ILB spot but was pretty horrendous against the run. Just seems like a lot to give up for pass rushing middle linebacker.
I don't think so. From my Twitter feed, the Patriots and Packers are getting hammered by those who are "in the know" in the press. The Jets are getting passing marks for their moves.

Corey Davis finished 4th in Context-Adjusted Yds Per Target and 8th in PFF Grading. I love the move. As you pointed out, a good blocker, too, which you need in this system.

Lawson should be a good get.

I have no idea what they were doing with Jarrad Davis, either. Nobody does.

One thing we're forgetting: Braxton Berrios. He flashed a bit last year. You save at least ten million if you let Crowder walk and go with Berrios out of the slot. That brings them back up to 45 million under the cap. You can draft and develop a receiver with your second round pick. The getting is deep again this year.

Just spitballing out loud here. 

Sigh. The guy I didn't want.

Have a feeling they're really gonna regret not just spending an extra 2 mil for juju
Ehh. Smith-Schuster is more concerned about off field stuff. At the same price, I'd rather have Davis. Davis in the type of offense LaFleur will run is a good fit. Davis can catch slants. He plays inside and outside the numbers. He had a slow start to his career but played very well last year. What this does is make the Jets not have to think about WRs in the first round. Getting Amari Rodgers in the 3rd round would be nice.

The Jarrad Davis and Carl Lawson moves are more inconsequential. The key to winning is having a good quarterback and not having a dysfunctional organization. Lance, Wilson, or Fields has to pan out or the team will stay bad for a few more years. It is that simple. The C. Davis move matters because he can help the young quarterback avoid being a giant question mark. At least the next quarterback will have a better WR corps than Darnold ever had.  

His season started late due to injury. Then when he got to playing he was doing so in a horrible offense. NFL history is littered with wide receivers who had blah rookie seasons and then blossomed in their 2nd or 3rd seasons. Mims also missed a game due to a family emergency. I don't know if the details ever emerged but it could have been something that was bothering him the whole season or maybe the event popped up out of the blue the week he missed the game.  

He made some nice catches. He didn't show anyone that he is the next Al Toon but he didn't look like a bum either. I'd say he was okay last year. 

His season started late due to injury. Then when he got to playing he was doing so in a horrible offense. NFL history is littered with wide receivers who had blah rookie seasons and then blossomed in their 2nd or 3rd seasons. Mims also missed a game due to a family emergency. I don't know if the details ever emerged but it could have been something that was bothering him the whole season or maybe the event popped up out of the blue the week he missed the game.  
Yeah exactly. I think I remember hearing some of the other stuff, too. Well he is practically free right now and I know people are cutting him in FFPC. Seems crazy to me. 

Davis contract was a little lower than originally thought $5.5M - other 2 contracts are pretty reasonable and have an out after 2 yrs which I like.....unless JD has one more trick up his sleeve I think he goes bargain shopping for upside depth....

biggest holes left

RB - SF O doesnt need a big time RB - I think Jamal Williams would be a nice fit and LaFleur is familiar with him based on bro connection.....He runs/catches/blocks and should come pretty cheap - $5M?

IOL - no one jumps out at me....I can see this being the Seattle 1st rd pick/early 2d

CB - figure he;s waiting on K'Waun Williams for the slot....maybe Richard Sherman as a mentor to Hall/Austin/Draft pick

Jamaal Williams signed 2 yr deal with Detroit for a max of $7.5M.....Bummed on that one - $3.7 yr for him is a great deal and figured LaFleur would be interested based on bro connection...

Well at least we know RBs are gonna be cheap! 

Jamaal Williams signed 2 yr deal with Detroit for a max of $7.5M.....Bummed on that one - $3.7 yr for him is a great deal and figured LaFleur would be interested based on bro connection...

Well at least we know RBs are gonna be cheap! 
He's a solid but unspectacular runner - not a huge loss imo. There's still some RBs out there like Carson and Fournette if they want a veteran but I'd prefer they take a guy with their second round pick.

He's a solid but unspectacular runner - not a huge loss imo. There's still some RBs out there like Carson and Fournette if they want a veteran but I'd prefer they take a guy with their second round pick.
True - just liked the price for what he brings

I dont see them getting Carson or Fournette...I think they go with an old SF RB like Breida, McKinnon or Tevon Coleman and then add someone in the draft...Id really like one of the top 3 RBs....one should be available with the 2d rd pick.  

few interesting tidbits

Chicago offered 3 first-round picks, a third and two starters for Russell Wilson. Seattle declined, per @dpshow Wilson: 90.5 PFF Grade in 2020 (6th) [PFF] - If thats true that sets the market a bit for Watson.....however keep in mind with Chicago picking so low  that the Jets #2 overall pick would equal all 3 of those 1st rd picks.  (2,700 pts to 825) - so the #2 pick alone is equivalent to that offer....add the Jets or Seattle pick in 2022 and it is way better.....not sure on the players but figure it was at least one good one like Mack or Roquon and a bad one like Foles.  The more I see this team develop the more I doubt JD is going to deal 2 or 3 1st rders for Watson...I think this is a ground up rebuild and he wants every pick.  

[Brian Costello] Justin Hardee contract details from @Jason_OTC: 3 years, $6.75 million, $1 million gtd. Base salaries: $1.35M, $1.8M, $2.1M, $750K roster bonus, $750k in per game bonuses. #nyj - Saints fans were beside themselves losing this guy - absolute special teams ace and great locker room leader....and for $1.3/$1.8M - fantastic signing....STs has been ignored to long.  

few interesting tidbits

Chicago offered 3 first-round picks, a third and two starters for Russell Wilson. Seattle declined, per @dpshow Wilson: 90.5 PFF Grade in 2020 (6th) [PFF] - If thats true that sets the market a bit for Watson.....however keep in mind with Chicago picking so low  that the Jets #2 overall pick would equal all 3 of those 1st rd picks.  (2,700 pts to 825) - so the #2 pick alone is equivalent to that offer....add the Jets or Seattle pick in 2022 and it is way better.....not sure on the players but figure it was at least one good one like Mack or Roquon and a bad one like Foles.  The more I see this team develop the more I doubt JD is going to deal 2 or 3 1st rders for Watson...I think this is a ground up rebuild and he wants every pick.  

[Brian Costello] Justin Hardee contract details from @Jason_OTC: 3 years, $6.75 million, $1 million gtd. Base salaries: $1.35M, $1.8M, $2.1M, $750K roster bonus, $750k in per game bonuses. #nyj - Saints fans were beside themselves losing this guy - absolute special teams ace and great locker room leader....and for $1.3/$1.8M - fantastic signing....STs has been ignored to long.  
I'm not even thinking about Watson anymore - not because I don't want him but I just don't think it happens. I think if he is traded he's going to Carolina.

I'm also a little bummed that it seems all of the potential landing spots for Darnold are drying up quickly. I think the price that teams would need to pay are falling lower and lower by the day.

I'm not even thinking about Watson anymore - not because I don't want him but I just don't think it happens. I think if he is traded he's going to Carolina.

I'm also a little bummed that it seems all of the potential landing spots for Darnold are drying up quickly. I think the price that teams would need to pay are falling lower and lower by the day.
its interesting how the value fluctuates...I never understood the 1st rd talk.....I think the value is probably a 3rd with a conditional pick for 2022 or turning into a higher pick in 2022....

The good news with the Fitz/Dalton signings is they are making backup money and Darnold is so cheap it shouldnt make a difference.  If the market is worse than a 3rd then Id keep him and let him compete with the rookie they draft. 

As for Watson - I think its a pipe dream too but on paper the Jets have way more ammo than any other team to pull it off....whether Watson would want to come here and would JD want to give up all those picks are another question which I think is negative to both.  

Dr. Octopus said:
Anyone know @NYRAGE outside of this board?

I'm surprised he's not around for free agency. Hope everything is ok with him.
Hi there. I needed to eject for a while. I couldn't just repeat that we needed to replace Darnold for 3-4 months and have the same arguments with the same people.  At least we're getting closer to the draft now.

Although I didn't expect JD to go out and spend like the Patriots, I have to admit that I've been disappointed with free agency so far.

O-line

I really didn't didn't want to spend a boatload on Thuney (I just don't like the idea of overpaying for guards), but was fine if they did because we had plenty of cap room. Then it didn't happen. I wasn't heartbroken. Besides who would want to come to the Jets without getting overpaid.

I kind of wanted Linsley more than Thuney. We've had issues at the position since Mangold left. I've heard that we didn't put in an offer because JD didn't want to go over $10m and knew that he wouldn't in the market range for him. Oh well, McGovern it is. Outside of Becton, I haven't been too thrilled with JD's o-line decisions so far. I guess we'll draft o-line a couple of times in this draft.

Receivers

I love Golladay and was a little disappointed that we didn't weren't in on him. He's a true #1 WR.  With last year's injury, I could see the hesitancy. I wanted no part of JuJu. I thought Samuel would be a perfect weapon for this system with his speed and versatility. Those were my top 2 choices. I would have dumped Crowder for Samuel. Crowder is good, but not a blocker and not as versatile.

I'm ok with the Corey Davis signing. He's a physical player. Up and comer. I think he fits the system well. Not my top 2 choice, but ok with it.

I was upset that they didn't go after Jonnu Smith. I think that guy can be a star in the right system. Then I thought that we might go after Everett. Nope. He went fairly cheaply. I still think Herndon has potential, but he was really disappointing last year and I think we should have had a fallback option. Griffin isn't it. Hopefully we add someone in the draft.

Pass Rusher and LB

I was praying that we would address the pass rusher position,but to be honest, I've been praying for decades. Barrett obviously wasn't available.  I'm happy with Lawson.I think he was the best option.  I was leery of others like Hendrickson. I didn't want Ngakoue. I wasn't that crazy about Judon.

I still think we need another one. I was surprised that H Reddick went so cheaply. I would have taken a chance on him.

LB: J Davis. I shocked when I first heard a 1 year deal for $7m. Seemed like an overpay. Then it became $5.5 with a chance to go up to $7m. That's better. I'll trust Saleh on this one. I thought that we might go after Jayon Brown. I thought he went cheaply.

Secondary

We definitely needed help on special teams, so I think the Hardee signing was good.

I wanted/want Sherman. I think he would be a leader out there and help with the new system, but he may be beyond JD's price and age range. If they don't get him and I'm not hearing anything about us being interested, that means that we probably go CB with our second first rounder or pick #34. Which is where we might go for a guard in the draft since we ignored the position in Free Agency. No interest in Griffen was curious, too.

We can use a safety, too.  Neal?

RB

When I saw that Denver placed a low tender on Lindsay, I immediately thought this guy would be a beast in our system with that speed. Now I saw that he was just released. Holy hell JD, Sign this beast! Unfortunately, I've heard that KC wants him, so where would you choose? I doubt that JD will spend a high draft pick on Etienne, so I guess we'll see another 3rd-4th round RB.

FB is an important position for this offense. We never had a chance for Juice. I'm not sure what we're going to do, but it's an area of need in this system. I

Well, it's bargain bin shopping time. We'll see what happens. I expect a couple of secondary additions. I'm shocked that we haven't picked up any SF guys yet. I'll ignore the QB situation for now.

When I saw that Denver placed a low tender on Lindsay, I immediately thought this guy would be a beast in our system with that speed. Now I saw that he was just released. Holy hell JD, Sign this beast! Unfortunately, I've heard that KC wants him, so where would you choose?
I think Lindsay would be a great get for this system and allow them to take a later round bogger RB for a RBBC.

Hi there. I needed to eject for a while. I couldn't just repeat that we needed to replace Darnold for 3-4 months and have the same arguments with the same people.  At least we're getting closer to the draft now.
I thought that most people in here are aware Sam stinks and is very likely not the future. I think the strongest "endorsements" were ok with giving him one last shot and addressing QB next offseason.

Now Facebook fan pages are a different matter. There's some morons on there.

At this point I'm in the camp with taking Wilson or Fields at 2 - but I'll admit I'm a bit spooked with that (comes with the territory).

I thought that most people in here are aware Sam stinks and is very likely not the future. I think the strongest "endorsements" were ok with giving him one last shot and addressing QB next offseason.

At this point I'm in the camp with taking Wilson or Fields at 2 - but I'll admit I'm a bit spooked with that (comes with the territory).
I haven't read the forum in a while, so not sure where everyone is at these days although a couple of people were strongly pushing for Sewell over a QB. 

Although I feel strongly that we should replace Darnold for multiple reasons, it's beyond my control. I'll just accept whatever JD does because I will always root for this team despite logic and subsequent potential health & happiness issues.

Users who are viewing this thread