What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (12 Viewers)

Right or wrong, Douglas is going to get a 100% pass for this year. (assuming there is a season) Only 1 draft to right the ship, moving Adams and Mosley opting out. Plus the fan base is begging for Gase to be the fall-guy if things go south.

But at the end of the day,  there just setting themselves for the nightmare scenario of having to make a decision on Sam without knowing how good he really is. Typical Jets.

But yeah, I see absolutely no reason to even consider Fournette. That just seems silly.

I imagine lots of you guys at least read the forums over at TheGangGreen

But for those who dont, here's a really good article breaking down the Jets' failure at the center position (since Mangold's injury/retirement) and the kinds of plays McGovern is capable of making (which will hopefully help)

https://jetsxfactor.com/2020/09/08/new-york-jets-upgrade-to-connor-mcgovern-at-center-will-be-massive-film/

I obviously dont know a thing about interior line play, but when someone explains it and you isolate the video, its pretty easy to see how the poor play of Harrison and Khalil contributed to the disaster of last year (and how McGovern will hopefully help fix it)

Sad as it is, I definitely laughed at the play where Khalil just straight up blocks nobody.

Right or wrong, Douglas is going to get a 100% pass for this year. (assuming there is a season) Only 1 draft to right the ship, moving Adams and Mosley opting out. Plus the fan base is begging for Gase to be the fall-guy if things go south.

But at the end of the day,  there just setting themselves for the nightmare scenario of having to make a decision on Sam without knowing how good he really is. Typical Jets.

But yeah, I see absolutely no reason to even consider Fournette. That just seems silly.
Worst case scenario is definitely where a team ends up with a replacement or slightly above replacement level QB who shows flashes but hasn’t proven to be a franchise QB. Bills are very likely to be in the same situation. The Cardinals may have actually been in a better situation with Rosen being an obvious bust and being able to move onto Murray. Nobody wants Andy Dalton for a decade.

Worst case scenario is definitely where a team ends up with a replacement or slightly above replacement level QB who shows flashes but hasn’t proven to be a franchise QB. Bills are very likely to be in the same situation. The Cardinals may have actually been in a better situation with Rosen being an obvious bust and being able to move onto Murray. Nobody wants Andy Dalton for a decade.
Basically, yeah.

I mean.....is Sam's best case scenario Matt Stafford? Nothing against Stafford (he's already in the top 20 in all time passing yards and seems likely to finish in the top 10) But he's never won anything and still commands an absurd salary. That's the recipe for a mediocre (at best) team unless you hit several drafts in a row absolutely out of the park and end up with a handful of pro-bowl players on rookie deals at the same time.

I imagine lots of you guys at least read the forums over at TheGangGreen

But for those who dont, here's a really good article breaking down the Jets' failure at the center position (since Mangold's injury/retirement) and the kinds of plays McGovern is capable of making (which will hopefully help)

https://jetsxfactor.com/2020/09/08/new-york-jets-upgrade-to-connor-mcgovern-at-center-will-be-massive-film/

I obviously dont know a thing about interior line play, but when someone explains it and you isolate the video, its pretty easy to see how the poor play of Harrison and Khalil contributed to the disaster of last year (and how McGovern will hopefully help fix it)

Sad as it is, I definitely laughed at the play where Khalil just straight up blocks nobody.
Bad interior line play works terribly with a patient runner like Bell.

Yeah same #### as last year. Garbage play calling, garbage execution.  They can't complete simple passes. When you watch the jets and then watch teams like new Orleans or LA or pretty much anyone with competent coaching and multiple weapons, it's like a totally different sport.

Darnold still making rookie mistakes. That pick was abysmal and taking that sack (by running out of bounds for some reason) at the end of the 3rd was some high school level BS.

Thank God I was able to negotiate free Sunday Ticket. At least I'll have actual football to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
bad ownership, bad drafting, bad management, bad hirings, bad football.  been a jet fan since about 76, which was the lou holtz year, when joe namath and richard todd combined to throw 7 TDs vs 28 INTs.  i am at the “no longer care” point.  not sure this team can succeed with this ownership group.

bad ownership, bad drafting, bad management, bad hirings, bad football.  been a jet fan since about 76, which was the lou holtz year, when joe namath and richard todd combined to throw 7 TDs vs 28 INTs.  i am at the “no longer care” point.  not sure this team can succeed with this ownership group.
I emotionally divested a couple of years ago. Just realized it was never gonna happen. I no longer get mad when they lose.....just mildly annoyed and sometimes disgusted if it's REALLY embarrassing.

TLEF316 said:
Yeah same #### as last year. Garbage play calling, garbage execution.  They can't complete simple passes. When you watch the jets and then watch teams like new Orleans or LA or pretty much anyone with competent coaching and multiple weapons, it's like a totally different sport.

Darnold still making rookie mistakes. That pick was abysmal and taking that sack (by running out of bounds for some reason) at the end of the 3rd was some high school level BS.

Thank God I was able to negotiate free Sunday Ticket. At least I'll have actual football to watch.
It's certainly not pretty. I don't mean this in a snarky way but I feel bad for Jet fans having watched most of that game. You guys have a reason to be ticked off. Hopefully you'll get some better management soon

TLEF316 said:
I emotionally divested a couple of years ago. Just realized it was never gonna happen. I no longer get mad when they lose.....just mildly annoyed and sometimes disgusted if it's REALLY embarrassing.
Yeah, this is way I feel. Pretty clear they're never winning until the Johnsons are no longer in control. Or Johnson. Whatever and whoever. This franchise is a shambling mess.

TLEF316 said:
i used to bleed jets and probably still would, but it’s been so long since they were relevant in a league that is made to be watered down.  i can’t even call this a development year.  i mean, what are they developing?  what young guys am i to be excited about?  why is frank gore rostered?  why hasn’t avery williamson been released?  their CB1 was benched 2 quarters into the season.....ugh

i used to bleed jets and probably still would, but it’s been so long since they were relevant in a league that is made to be watered down.  i can’t even call this a development year.  i mean, what are they developing?  what young guys am i to be excited about?  why is frank gore rostered?  why hasn’t avery williamson been released?  their CB1 was benched 2 quarters into the season.....ugh
You're really spot on. There's no young players to really get behind, or the guys who are young enough, they haven't put anything around them to get excited about.

It's certainly not pretty. I don't mean this in a snarky way but I feel bad for Jet fans having watched most of that game. You guys have a reason to be ticked off. Hopefully you'll get some better management soon
I appreciate the sentiment, but I've been dead inside for a while. I still watch, but it's like Pavlov's dog. Hit that Sunday Ticket bell and I turn on the game. It's a pretty joyless experience though. Like Chemical X said, there isn't much to root for.

Positives from yesterday's game:

1. Maye was a beast
I didn't see he game but from an IDP standpoint was he on the field most of the snaps? How much did Mcdougal and the Rookie play or bleed snaps from him? I saw the 2 sacks, was he playing a box safety type? He is on waivers in my league and I'm sitting with a full FAAB budget...;) Cheers! 

I didn't see he game but from an IDP standpoint was he on the field most of the snaps? How much did Mcdougal and the Rookie play or bleed snaps from him? I saw the 2 sacks, was he playing a box safety type? He is on waivers in my league and I'm sitting with a full FAAB budget...;) Cheers! 
He's always been a 100% time player. He took over Adams's role.He's no longer 50 yards from the line of scrimmage. He does have a history of injuries though.

He's always been a 100% time player. He took over Adams's role.He's no longer 50 yards from the line of scrimmage. He does have a history of injuries though.
Thanks, after I asked the question I found the snap counts on NFL.com and can see he was on 100% of the time. One question - were his 2 sacks from blitz's from off the ball or was he playing down in the box more this game? 

I was really numb after watching that disaster....i didnt know how to capture my feelings and I come in here and many nailed it....they are simply an awful franchise and there is literally no end in sight....even with a "franchise" qb they hire a terrible coach and give him zero weapons to stunt his development.....and im done being patient with Sam...there are lots of QBs that have below average weapons and they raise their level...Sam still looks rattled and seeing ghosts....this is a critical year as Im personally losing faith.  

QB - Sam looked awful - made few plays if any....continued poor footwork....lots of overthrows....2 monster rookie mistakes in the int and running out of bounds 5 yds behind the LOS...meanwhile Josh Allen still has issues but has shown to be a winner and can make plays....hes much better than Sam and that may depress me the most.  

RB - Bell looked slow as usual and now hes hurt - officially done as any weapon for Sam.....Gore is a great story but every carry they give him is a waste to develop another player....hope Perrine comes back soon and they use him but hes hurt of course.

WR- This one is on JD.....Crowder is a gamer but even he had stone hands the 1st half.....hes a nice slot player but no business being a top weapon.....Perriman had me longing for Anderson for another $2M yr (what exactly was JD saving it for?) - Hogan has no business being on an NFL roster let alone the field....and Stephen Hill, I mean Mims wont be available most of the season.....minimal talent...minimal youth to develop....very depressing.  

TE - Herndon looked ok - but of course in continuing Jet TE tradition had a critical controversial turnover

OL - Tackles looked better - interior was bad and it didnt help at all.....

DL - Q making me long for the days of Leonard Williams - another bust....same old good run d and zero pass rush....

LB - didnt stand out in any way....of course Mosely would have helped....

CB - brutal -  knew it would be ugly and it was.

S - Well at least this showed why they didnt need a $15M Jamal Adams....while Adams showed he can still put up numbers..Maye looked very Adams like and they still got blown out.....McDougle was competent - but shocked Ashton didnt play a snap at S....that needs to change.

ST - well both kicker and punter looked good.....

coaching - absolutely brutal - let me clarify - defense was bad but at least you could tell Gwill was scheming and adjusting on the fly and did the best he could with a bad hand....Gase is as bad as everyone says and the only ones who dont know it is the owners...the team was flat and unprepared....Darnold looked like a rookie....minimal development....no gameplan....completely inept.....how does Chris Johnson watch other team offenses and think this is acceptable?  I know stability is key but not with the wrong coach....hes terrible....

outlook - apathy.....besides Darnold and Becotn there is no one to develop....Ive almost given up on Q....guy has shown nothing....minimal talent and poor coaching....this ream will be luck to win 6....of course they will win 4-5 meaningless games to get knocked out of the prime picks but Ive never felt more hopeless and I lived through Kotite.  

I was really numb after watching that disaster....i didnt know how to capture my feelings and I come in here and many nailed it....they are simply an awful franchise and there is literally no end in sight....even with a "franchise" qb they hire a terrible coach and give him zero weapons to stunt his development.....and im done being patient with Sam...there are lots of QBs that have below average weapons and they raise their level...Sam still looks rattled and seeing ghosts....this is a critical year as Im personally losing faith.  

QB - Sam looked awful - made few plays if any....continued poor footwork....lots of overthrows....2 monster rookie mistakes in the int and running out of bounds 5 yds behind the LOS...meanwhile Josh Allen still has issues but has shown to be a winner and can make plays....hes much better than Sam and that may depress me the most.  

RB - Bell looked slow as usual and now hes hurt - officially done as any weapon for Sam.....Gore is a great story but every carry they give him is a waste to develop another player....hope Perrine comes back soon and they use him but hes hurt of course.

WR- This one is on JD.....Crowder is a gamer but even he had stone hands the 1st half.....hes a nice slot player but no business being a top weapon.....Perriman had me longing for Anderson for another $2M yr (what exactly was JD saving it for?) - Hogan has no business being on an NFL roster let alone the field....and Stephen Hill, I mean Mims wont be available most of the season.....minimal talent...minimal youth to develop....very depressing.  

TE - Herndon looked ok - but of course in continuing Jet TE tradition had a critical controversial turnover

OL - Tackles looked better - interior was bad and it didnt help at all.....

DL - Q making me long for the days of Leonard Williams - another bust....same old good run d and zero pass rush....

LB - didnt stand out in any way....of course Mosely would have helped....

CB - brutal -  knew it would be ugly and it was.

S - Well at least this showed why they didnt need a $15M Jamal Adams....while Adams showed he can still put up numbers..Maye looked very Adams like and they still got blown out.....McDougle was competent - but shocked Ashton didnt play a snap at S....that needs to change.

ST - well both kicker and punter looked good.....

coaching - absolutely brutal - let me clarify - defense was bad but at least you could tell Gwill was scheming and adjusting on the fly and did the best he could with a bad hand....Gase is as bad as everyone says and the only ones who dont know it is the owners...the team was flat and unprepared....Darnold looked like a rookie....minimal development....no gameplan....completely inept.....how does Chris Johnson watch other team offenses and think this is acceptable?  I know stability is key but not with the wrong coach....hes terrible....

outlook - apathy.....besides Darnold and Becotn there is no one to develop....Ive almost given up on Q....guy has shown nothing....minimal talent and poor coaching....this ream will be luck to win 6....of course they will win 4-5 meaningless games to get knocked out of the prime picks but Ive never felt more hopeless and I lived through Kotite.  
I've been a big Darnold supporter, but yesterday was the first time I had significant doubts. He has plenty of excuses (no weapons, not a good line, terrible coaching, lost time in years 1-2 with injuries/sickness), but at some point you need to elevate your team.  Darnold had some Hackenberg accuracy yesterday.  He missed Herndon and Crowder early in the first series and it went downhill after that.  His mechanics looked awful.   Yet, as a general philosophy, I still can't believe that we haven't built around a QB that was supposed to be our potential franchise player. Just sheer stupidity. We kept drafting defense instead of bringing in linemen and offensive weapons.

Gase is just horrible. No adjustments. No accountability. No hope.  He was the worst coach of all the potential coaches we brought in.

I think I read that Q did ok analytically, but he sure feels like a lesser- Leonard Williams right now.

I still have hope for Perriman. T. White erases most WRs. I'll give him a one week pass.

The LBs looked really bad. Basham looked really bad. Didn't notice Jenkins. Time to give Huff and Zuniga playing time.

TLEF316 said:
Yup, was thinking that when watching Rams/Cowboys - looks like a completely different game.

It's so predictable for the Jets. 1st and 2nd down = some combination of a 2 yard pass and a short run... 3rd and long, and the sideline route is missed. 

I see other qb's confidently zipping darts to guys crossing the middle - we never do that. Instead, it's softly thrown sideline route after sideline route. Even the passes they complete feel like everything had to break right just to complete the pass.  

NYRAGE said:
Tank for Trevor?
I’m not there yet but for the first time I am losing faith in Darnold. Yes the play calling was horrendous but Sam also looked terrible for a third year QB. He had happy feet and looked flustered even when he had a clean pocket and when he didn’t he made some terrible decisions like throwing across his body for a pick instead of running for a first down and running out of bounds for a five yard loss instead of throwing it away. 
I don’t think his weapons are great but not nearly as bad as they’re made out to be. 
Obviously we are tied to him for this season and maybe next so hopefully this game is an aberration but if this keeps up consideration for drafting Lawrence or Fields will be on the table.

I've been a big Darnold supporter, but yesterday was the first time I had significant doubts. He has plenty of excuses (no weapons, not a good line, terrible coaching, lost time in years 1-2 with injuries/sickness), but at some point you need to elevate your team.  Darnold had some Hackenberg accuracy yesterday.  He missed Herndon and Crowder early in the first series and it went downhill after that.  His mechanics looked awful.   Yet, as a general philosophy, I still can't believe that we haven't built around a QB that was supposed to be our potential franchise player. Just sheer stupidity. We kept drafting defense instead of bringing in linemen and offensive weapons.

Gase is just horrible. No adjustments. No accountability. No hope.  He was the worst coach of all the potential coaches we brought in.

I think I read that Q did ok analytically, but he sure feels like a lesser- Leonard Williams right now.

I still have hope for Perriman. T. White erases most WRs. I'll give him a one week pass.

The LBs looked really bad. Basham looked really bad. Didn't notice Jenkins. Time to give Huff and Zuniga playing time.
I’m not sure we can fairly judge any of the WRs because of the play calling (hey maybe throw a deep ball to a 6’3” guy with 4.3 speed?) and Sam’s inaccuracy. Obviously better weapons would be nice but as you said good QBs elevate their WRs - look at GB over the years if you don’t believe that.

Agree with all of this

No more excuses for Sam......he showed absolutely nothing....its only game 1 vs a very good D...and we all know how the playcalling/talent dearth is....but that was rookie shellshocked ball and thats unacceptable in yr 3 no matter what the excuse.  

How does CJ not see how bad Gase is?  I dont think Ive read a positive quote on Gase in yrs...I couldnt wait to get rid of Bowles for this?  The worst is there is no chance they will fire him during the year....and honestly Im scared a 5-6 win season wont do it.....

Fair enough on Perriman - plus coming off an injury that held him out for wks.

LBs looked terrible - no young upside players and tI cant even look forward to he $17M stud in 2021 s it will be 2 yrs since he played.....

Yup, was thinking that when watching Rams/Cowboys - looks like a completely different game.

It's so predictable for the Jets. 1st and 2nd down = some combination of a 2 yard pass and a short run... 3rd and long, and the sideline route is missed. 

I see other qb's confidently zipping darts to guys crossing the middle - we never do that. Instead, it's softly thrown sideline route after sideline route. Even the passes they complete feel like everything had to break right just to complete the pass.  
the NFL morphed into an offensive pinball league over a decade ago and the Jets still have a 90s built team.  Always going defense is a problem.....Jets d has been respectable and middle of the road forever.....1 yr of good offense with Ftzpatrick in a decade......

I’m not there yet but for the first time I am losing faith in Darnold. Yes the play calling was horrendous but Sam also looked terrible for a third year QB. He had happy feet and looked flustered even when he had a clean pocket and when he didn’t he made some terrible decisions like throwing across his body for a pick instead of running for a first down and running out of bounds for a five yard loss instead of throwing it away. 
I don’t think his weapons are great but not nearly as bad as they’re made out to be. 
Obviously we are tied to him for this season and maybe next so hopefully this game is an aberration but if this keeps up consideration for drafting Lawrence or Fields will be on the table.
Darnold in in play.....if he stinks like this and the team is in position to grab a top QB it absolutely is in play

BTW - 1st hit on JD - besides Becton and the punter did any of the draft picks play a snap?  With the lack of talent on this team they simply cant afford to have 2 3rd rd picks riding pine....and as soon as Mims and Perine are back they need to get big P/T....zero pint having Gore and Hogan out there taking snaps....

Darnold in in play.....if he stinks like this and the team is in position to grab a too QB it absolutely is in play

BTW - 1st hit on JD - besides Becton and the punter did any of the draft picks play a snap?  With the lack of talent on this team they simply cant afford to have 2 3rd rd picks riding pine....and as soon as Mims and Perine are back they need to get big P/T....zero pint having Gore and Hogan out there taking snaps....
Yes, I agree that Gore is a great story but any snap he takes is a complete waste, and that would be true even if the Jets were contenders. 

Imagine what we’re in for next week when we play against a Niners team coming in pissed off from a loss.
The only thing going for the Jets is they are solid against the run and Im not sold on Jimmy G as a passer......if Kittle is healthy he is going to rip up the Jet secondary.....

8 Gholston - 6

9 Sanchez - 5

10 Kyle Wilson - 29

11 Wilkerson - 30

12 Coples - 16

13 Milliner - 9

14 Pryor - 18

15 L Williams - 6

16 D Lee - 20

17 Adams - 6

18 Darnold - 3

19 Q Williams - 3

20 Becton - 11

I didnt bother listing #2s, we all know those are complete wastes, but really, not any worse than the above list.  3 guys remain, their last 3 picks.  These guys dont just change teams, they are instantly out of the league.

The only thing going for the Jets is they are solid against the run and Im not sold on Jimmy G as a passer......if Kittle is healthy he is going to rip up the Jet secondary.....
Without a pass rush, there is only so much the DBs can do.  I actually think some of these guys can play....Maye, Bless, McDougald, but without a rush, you are asking guys to be covered way too long.  I mean, i dont think anyone got near Allen.

Darnold in in play.....if he stinks like this and the team is in position to grab a top QB it absolutely is in play

Outside of Davis, they are all hurt. That fool almost got hurt hurdling a player on a kick-off.

Agree with all of this

No more excuses for Sam......he showed absolutely nothing....its only game 1 vs a very good D...and we all know how the playcalling/talent dearth is....but that was rookie shellshocked ball and thats unacceptable in yr 3 no matter what the excuse.  

How does CJ not see how bad Gase is?  I dont think Ive read a positive quote on Gase in yrs...I couldnt wait to get rid of Bowles for this?  The worst is there is no chance they will fire him during the year....and honestly Im scared a 5-6 win season wont do it.....

Fair enough on Perriman - plus coming off an injury that held him out for wks.

LBs looked terrible - no young upside players and tI cant even look forward to he $17M stud in 2021 s it will be 2 yrs since he played.....
Gase just said that he doesn't regret any play calls and that there were several self-inflicted wounds in the execution of those plays. Sigh.

Le'Veon Bell signing.

:lmao:
Yeah, there's no denying it now. Its a complete and total disaster.  He's obviously gone after this year. $9.5M in savings and he'll be $4 M in dead money for next year (which they can easily absorb)

The Mosley signing looks just as bad.  Someone on TGG posted an alleged picture of him drinking at an Alabama bar on Thursday night. Could be BS, but if not, clearly "protecting my family and health during COVID 19" was complete garbage.

The Mosley signing looks just as bad.  Someone on TGG posted an alleged picture of him drinking at an Alabama bar on Thursday night. Could be BS, but if not, clearly "protecting my family and health during COVID 19" was complete garbage.
Just as bad as Bell. And his contract tolls, which means we're just on the hook longer with this guy. This guy picked up his paycheck and just flat went home. Some guys are that unaccountable, I guess. You knew something was wrong when his groin cost him the year last year.

Just as bad as Bell. And his contract tolls, which means we're just on the hook longer with this guy. This guy picked up his paycheck and just flat went home. Some guys are that unaccountable, I guess. You knew something was wrong when his groin cost him the year last year.

The sad thing is there's just no way of knowing. 

In 2016, if you had told me that Muhammad Wilkerson was the kind of guy to just completely mail it in when he got paid, I would have said no freaking way. The guy had been a model citizen since day 1, worked his butt off, no off the field stuff.  Just an unheralded guy (obviously a first rounder....but a 3 star recruit who went to a mediocre school) who brought his lunch pail every day and produced at an elite level.

Gets his contract in June of 2016. 5 years, 50+ Mil guaranteed.

Mediocre production that year.....even worse the following year until he just decides to just stop showing up on time for meetings. And less than 2 years after singing the deal....he's gone.

Some guys care. Some guys dont.

The sad thing is there's just no way of knowing. 

Some guys care. Some guys dont.
Yep. And agreed on the Wilkerson example. You never know. I wouldn't have bet that he'd do that, either. Some guys, guys that honor their contracts, have long careers. Look at Sheldon Richardson. Of the three stalwart DL guys the Jets had, he's the only one still playing at a reasonably high level. (Or did last year.)

A Gore, Ballage, Perine and Adams RBBC. Are you not entertained?
IF Perine is healthy, I would not mind seeing him play. He broke a few nice runs in camp.  However, with Gase calling the perfect plays and our lack of execution plus our tough schedule, I won't even delude myself into thinking Perine could be interesting.

Re: Mosley, I wouldn't be shocked if it was him, but I'm sure team security will look into it.  Not a good look if it's true. I bet JD would love to wash himself of McCant's brilliant LB deal, but alas, this Pandemic just pushed the contract back a year.

Users who are viewing this thread