What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (3 Viewers)

If the Jets get the right coach, after what I saw last night, should they not think about keeping Darnold, getting Devonta Smith and trading down.  Mims and Smith could certainly help make Darnold look a lot better quickly and Smith looks like a generational player.

I feel like both Fields and Wilson are question marks.  Devonta Smith is a mortal lock.

Devonta Smith is 6'1", 175 pounds and actually a BMI outlier as well as a graduating senior outlier if he's going to have success in the NFL. In other words, guys with that low of a BMI and who have stayed that long in school generally have trouble in the NFL. At least from what I've been reading.

So mortal lock, no.

Devonta Smith is 6'1", 175 pounds and actually a BMI outlier as well as a graduating senior outlier if he's going to have success in the NFL. In other words, guys with that low of a BMI and who have stayed that long in school generally have trouble in the NFL. At least from what I've been reading.

So mortal lock, no.
Just curious. What were Justin Jefferson’s advanced metrics. From what I read he was “middle of the road” in many categories  

Just curious. What were Justin Jefferson’s advanced metrics. From what I read he was “middle of the road” in many categories  
Jefferson was 6'1", 203 and ran a 4.43 forty which gave him an 86th percentile score for raw speed and 82nd when adjusted for height and weight. His burst score was 79th percentile. There was no "middle of the road" for Jefferson, who was also a first round pick and was twenty-one upon graduation. Smith is older than Jefferson right now and his breakout age (20.8) was below average (41st percentile), while Jefferson broke out at age 19.6, putting him in the 75th precentile.

In short, there really is no comparison yet because Smith hasn't run a forty or broad jumped at the combine.

He may be great, but his profile befits an outlier's status.

If the Jets get the right coach, after what I saw last night, should they not think about keeping Darnold, getting Devonta Smith and trading down.  Mims and Smith could certainly help make Darnold look a lot better quickly and Smith looks like a generational player.

I feel like both Fields and Wilson are question marks.  Devonta Smith is a mortal lock.
I would pass on the above.  I know I've harped on it in virtually all of my posts this season, and I think much of the board is in lockstep that Sam is cashed.  At least in a Jets jersey.

Guys way more qualified at it than I can point to all of his technical flaws and inability to read defenses - but for me, the dude just looks lost and completely regressed.  Gase was the easy whipping boy this season - but I can't for the life of me remember a bigger bust in NY sports history (relative to cost/hype) that has gotten a freer pass from fans and the media than Sam Darnold.  Going from useless Bowles to useless Gase has allowed Sam to go mostly unscathed in this mess, receiving nothing much harsher than sympathy for being stuck in such a trash bag organization - perpetually being lauded as fixable and a future star whenever he can get to Indy or Pittsburgh or San Fran or New England or Atlanta or.....

But in an NFL where offensive passing numbers are as inflated as they are - we've got a guy who didn't even crack 230 passing yards until week 17 this season, despite playing basically the whole season with negative game flow.  We've got the sample size of Joe Flacco, with the same staff/system/weapons, playing more competently than Sam.  Why is it so hard for people to understand that, at least at this present moment in time, Sam flat out sucks?

The absolute LAST thing I want is for a new coach to come in, begrudgingly having to work with Darnold in his first year and immediately having to fight a losing battle.  We know Sam will continue to get excuses made for him, and at the conclusion of the 2021 season we will end up moving on while simultaneously putting our year 2 and yet to be even f'n hired head coach on the hot seat because he too, "couldn't develop Sam."  

I would pass on the above.  I know I've harped on it in virtually all of my posts this season, and I think much of the board is in lockstep that Sam is cashed.  At least in a Jets jersey.

Guys way more qualified at it than I can point to all of his technical flaws and inability to read defenses - but for me, the dude just looks lost and completely regressed.  Gase was the easy whipping boy this season - but I can't for the life of me remember a bigger bust in NY sports history (relative to cost/hype) that has gotten a freer pass from fans and the media than Sam Darnold.  Going from useless Bowles to useless Gase has allowed Sam to go mostly unscathed in this mess, receiving nothing much harsher than sympathy for being stuck in such a trash bag organization - perpetually being lauded as fixable and a future star whenever he can get to Indy or Pittsburgh or San Fran or New England or Atlanta or.....

But in an NFL where offensive passing numbers are as inflated as they are - we've got a guy who didn't even crack 230 passing yards until week 17 this season, despite playing basically the whole season with negative game flow.  We've got the sample size of Joe Flacco, with the same staff/system/weapons, playing more competently than Sam.  Why is it so hard for people to understand that, at least at this present moment in time, Sam flat out sucks?

The absolute LAST thing I want is for a new coach to come in, begrudgingly having to work with Darnold in his first year and immediately having to fight a losing battle.  We know Sam will continue to get excuses made for him, and at the conclusion of the 2021 season we will end up moving on while simultaneously putting our year 2 and yet to be even f'n hired head coach on the hot seat because he too, "couldn't develop Sam."  
At the end of the day, I'd lean into the "Sam is cooked in NY" camp.  I don't disagree with a lot of what you say....but was Smith's performance in that game combined with the Gase impact at least make it an argument that Darnold/Smith/(and Mims) with (looks like) Saleh is better than trying Fields/Wilson with the WR's they have right now?

I saw Sam every week too....and I saw Gase rush Frank Gore up the middle on 2nd and 22 all year long.  If we want to list out the excuses so they're there?  The top 3 WR's didn't play together until what?  Week 12 or so?  3 weeks in our leading WRs were Braxton Berrios and Kalen Ballege.  I think there is maybe a chance that Gase was really that bad.

I'm surely in your camp on Sam, as I've made clear. There's 100s of excuses made for him with some that are legit but the bottom line is he never really rose above the circumstances he faced and Joe Flacco moved the offense better than he did under the same circumstances - that's indisputable.

Unfortunately I'm just not sold on any of the QBs in this class at No. 2 (or even with a trade back to 5) - maybe they can take a guy like Trey Lance, Mac Jones or Kyle Trask at 22 if they fall there, and rate them high enough, and have them battle it out with Sam in camp and potentially be the future QB.

The only reason I'd be ok with Sam coming back would be that the Jets could build the o-line and skill position players through free agency and this draft - giving him one last chance to turn things around with zero excuses  - and then worry about the long term QB (should Sam likely fail) in 2022 where that QB could step into a great situation. They'd have the resources to move up in the draft if they needed to or they could bring in a veteran that's on the market like a Matt Stafford.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saleh wasnt high on my original list but the more I take a look the ore Im intrigued.  If they really want him they should lock him in today....would be a good statement as Jets are known to get cute and let coaches/FAs walk out the door and change their minds....new culture starts with this hire.  

He seems like a fantastic leader and personality unlike the last 2 coaches....inspiring like Rex without the bulletin board bravado...

His defenses were very good even through injuries....good at adjustments.  

Bring a 49ers offensive guru to be the OC and help develop a QB.  

Knows the NFL very well after 15 yrs

Could see him as a CEO coach on both sides of the ball.....

Could see him as a very good recruiter for FAs

Saleh wasnt high on my original list but the more I take a look the ore Im intrigued.  If they really want him they should lock him in today....would be a good statement as Jets are known to get cute and let coaches/FAs walk out the door and change their minds....new culture starts with this hire.  

He seems like a fantastic leader and personality unlike the last 2 coaches....inspiring like Rex without the bulletin board bravado...

His defenses were very good even through injuries....good at adjustments.  

Bring a 49ers offensive guru to be the OC and help develop a QB.  

Knows the NFL very well after 15 yrs

Could see him as a CEO coach on both sides of the ball.....

Could see him as a very good recruiter for FAs
All of that is why I like him. He seems the type to build a no-nonsense culture and to bring energy to the team and to the sidelines (which will be nice since as you said Bowles and Gase showed nothing).

I had also mentioned in an earlier post that while he's obviously a defensive coach his ability to poach some offensive coaches who worked under Shanahan is a plus. 

The big question now is does he want his own QB or does he want to build an offense around the running game while playing solid defense?

All of that is why I like him. He seems the type to build a no-nonsense culture and to bring energy to the team and to the sidelines (which will be nice since as you said Bowles and Gase showed nothing).

I had also mentioned in an earlier post that while he's obviously a defensive coach his ability to poach some offensive coaches who worked under Shanahan is a plus. 

The big question now is does he want his own QB or does he want to build an offense around the running game while playing solid defense?
It will be interesting to see if he brings in Lafleur who is the passing game coordinator or the running game coordinator McDaniel....both are very bright and young with big upside. 

I think they would try to build the SF O which is running heavy with strikes built in which would work great with Sam or a new QB.....I can see them going either way - they will be burning up tape on Sam to see if he is salvageable.  Id trust their decision but the easiest thing is for them to move on and draft their own QB 

Yeah, I like what I read about both Lafleur and McDaniel. But if McDaniel actually looks like this I am officially NOT on board.

Like....could they not find a SLIGHTLY less dooshy looking picture for the article?

Where are you seeing Saleh as the hire?  If it's true, I like it and I will like it even more if he brings those SF assistants with him.  It's actually a situation where I think Darnold can do well, although I agree with everyone that it's best for both the team and Darnold to start over.  The NYJ aren't going to get a better chance for a new franchise QB at 1.02.  Yeah, losing out on Lawrence sucks but compared to any normal year the other top QBs like Fields will grade out similarly to the top QBs from other classes.  That said, if Watson really does become available I think the NYJ have to go after him full force.  If they can get him for Darnold and both of their 1st round picks that could be a better package than any other team can give HOU and that would be a huge long term win for the NYJ.

I'm surely in your camp on Sam, as I've made clear. There's 100s of excuses made for him with some that are legit but the bottom line is he never really rose above the circumstances he faced and Joe Flacco moved the offense better than he did under the same circumstances - that's indisputable.

Unfortunately I'm just not sold on any of the QBs in this class at No. 2 (or even with a trade back to 5) - maybe they can take a guy like Trey Lance, Mac Jones or Kyle Trask at 22 if they fall there, and rate them high enough, and have them battle it out with Sam in camp and potentially be the future QB.

The only reason I'd be ok with Sam coming back would be that the Jets could build the o-line and skill position players through free agency and this draft - giving him one last chance to turn things around with zero excuses  - and then worry about the long term QB (should Sam likely fail) in 2022 where that QB could step into a great situation. They'd have the resources to move up in the draft if they needed to or they could bring in a veteran that's on the market like a Matt Stafford.
I'm not necessarily sold on any of them either - but I view this as a chance to truly reboot the organization.  Would be nice to finally have GM-HC and even QB all on the same trajectory, effectively year 1 of a new system (I think we can all agree that it feels like Douglas' tenure truly starts now.)

Honestly, Saleh feels too Rex to me.  It's the classic go the other direction from what you just had.  We went through not 1 but 2 bland personalities, so now it's back to the adult-in-the-room CEO type with a big personality.  You won't hear me argue against us needing something like that, but this can very well end up rinse wash repeat to a decade ago.  Saleh is inheriting much less defensive (and overall) talent than Rex did, and the idea of building a team with a strong ground game and defense in today's NFL just doesn't seem conducive to long term success.  MAYBE we turn Darnold into a competent game manager so we can squeak into an away playoff game for a few years only to get destroyed by superior QB play?

I know I'm a downer, but this wreaks of bring in Saleh, retool around Sam with our draft capital/FA, see a slight uptick in production due to previous step, inevitably improve to cusp of playoff contention with a 7-9ish record, and then get sold that the team's moving in the right direction, bring back Sam and move forward with an attempt to be 9er's East.  Only to fall flat a year or 2 after and before you know it, we wasted another decade still chasing a franchise QB.

I don't know **** about **** though, so at the end of the day, I'm completely trusting in Douglas' decision until it gets proven wrong.

Where are you seeing Saleh as the hire?  If it's true, I like it and I will like it even more if he brings those SF assistants with him.  It's actually a situation where I think Darnold can do well, although I agree with everyone that it's best for both the team and Darnold to start over.  The NYJ aren't going to get a better chance for a new franchise QB at 1.02.  Yeah, losing out on Lawrence sucks but compared to any normal year the other top QBs like Fields will grade out similarly to the top QBs from other classes.  That said, if Watson really does become available I think the NYJ have to go after him full force.  If they can get him for Darnold and both of their 1st round picks that could be a better package than any other team can give HOU and that would be a huge long term win for the NYJ.
It was Manish Mehta tweeting out it was a done deal (one other person who I do not know also did) so most likely it will turn out to be incorrect.

I feel Sam has been given almost no chance to succeed, and while we'd have liked him to somehow show us he's the guy, I think we have to give him a bit of a pass on the two Gase years (see Tannehill). The Sam we saw in his rookie year was a guy that gave us some hope.

The new coach and Douglas will figure it out. But short of somehow getting Lawrence by giving the Jags a fortune, I don't see any rookie QB that makes sense - not at #2 or any other high pick. If we keep Sam, and I think we will, I want to see WR/RB with 2 of our first 3 picks. I like Mims, now add some more early round skill guys. If you're going to keep Sam, give him real weapons, not Shonn Greene or ArDarius Stewart in the 3rd. 

While Saleh does remind you of Rex a bit few thoughts....

Who wouldnt take Rex again over the mess of the last 2 regimes!  He got to 2 AFCCG and attracted some big names in Fa at the time in Bart Scott, faneca, etc

Rex got a raw deal when they fired Tanny and brought in Idzik who completely tore the team down and left it devoid of talent....

Rex completely concentrated on the D - relied on some sub par offensive coordinators in Schotty and Sporano....I think Saleh will be more CEO and have a hand in the offense

Saleh has a big personality without the bulletin board quotes and circus atmosphere from rex

Last 2 coaches were devoid of any personality and leadership....this guy will have players ready to run through a wall for him. 

Plus I like how aggressive Douglas has been so far....very un Jet-like

I was very impressed with the aggressive approach with a top candidate.....letting him walk out is a same old Jet move....Id be shocked if his next interview he doesnt walk out with a HC contract....

Jefferson was 6'1", 203 and ran a 4.43 forty which gave him an 86th percentile score for raw speed and 82nd when adjusted for height and weight. His burst score was 79th percentile. There was no "middle of the road" for Jefferson, who was also a first round pick and was twenty-one upon graduation. Smith is older than Jefferson right now and his breakout age (20.8) was below average (41st percentile), while Jefferson broke out at age 19.6, putting him in the 75th precentile.

In short, there really is no comparison yet because Smith hasn't run a forty or broad jumped at the combine.

He may be great, but his profile befits an outlier's status.
Where do you come up with these metrics?  I'm curious how Smith compares to Chase, Waddle and the one he seems to be drawing comps to, Marvin Harrison.

I was very impressed with the aggressive approach with a top candidate.....letting him walk out is a same old Jet move....Id be shocked if his next interview he doesnt walk out with a HC contract....
Typical Jets. Everything was looking good until he met Chris Johnson today. Anyone shocked?

While Saleh does remind you of Rex a bit few thoughts....

Who wouldnt take Rex again over the mess of the last 2 regimes!  He got to 2 AFCCG and attracted some big names in Fa at the time in Bart Scott, faneca, etc

Rex got a raw deal when they fired Tanny and brought in Idzik who completely tore the team down and left it devoid of talent....

Rex completely concentrated on the D - relied on some sub par offensive coordinators in Schotty and Sporano....I think Saleh will be more CEO and have a hand in the offense

Saleh has a big personality without the bulletin board quotes and circus atmosphere from rex

Last 2 coaches were devoid of any personality and leadership....this guy will have players ready to run through a wall for him. 

Plus I like how aggressive Douglas has been so far....very un Jet-like
Why does he remind everyone of Rex?  Because it's the Jets job?  I think he reminds me more of Mike Vrabel.

Why does he remind everyone of Rex?  Because it's the Jets job?  I think he reminds me more of Mike Vrabel.
Players coach....big personality...gets players to push themselves for him....Vrabel comparison is air as well.....

You dont let a coach you really want walk out the door and go interview with another team........

I don't mind Saleh walking out without a contract.  Even if they end up hiring him anyway.  Douglas is new to all of this - I think he knows better than to let himself fall in love with the first girl showing him a little leg.  The first HC candidate he ever gets to interview in person as a GM, I think we should be happy he wasn't rushing to make the hire right away.

The inside word (allegedly, from someone with connections) is that Saleh is JD's preferred choice and the Jets wanted to get it done today. Saleh likes the Jets job, but allegedly prefers going back home to Michigan and wants to see if he gets an offer from the Lions (he allegedly didn't interview well with them).  He told JD that he wanted some more time to explore his options. Then the Jets continued meeting with Arthur Smith tonight whom they also allegedly like. We'll see what happens. 

Smith is the alleged favorite in Atlanta. Daboll is the favorite with the Chargers. Meyer is the favorite in Jacksonville.

That leaves Detroit. Somehow Todd Bowles is a strong consideration there.

Who knows about Houston and Philly.

I think the Jets were impressed with Brady, but concerned about his inexperience (allegedly).

They liked Staley (allegedly), but have to wait until the Rams are out to meet again.

It sounds like Bienemy isn't a favorite anywhere (including us). I haven't heard anything about Eberflus. Then there is Marvin Smith and A. Glenn. Lots of allegedly since it's based on people with connections or hearsay from NFL insiders.

Todd Bowles getting his shot again in Detroit would be...well, I'd feel bad for Lions fans. We saw that act up close and personal. I can't believe the way to address racial imbalances in the pro football hiring world is to hire more retread coaches. I would have hoped that it opened up opportunities for guys that weren't already failed coaches. I mean, Bowles had no clue what he was doing when he was here, jumping up and down after drafting second-round reaches at linebacker and the like. If he had any input into those drafts, well, the choices speak for themselves.

Maccagnan and Bowles. You'd have thought it couldn't get much worse. Enter Adam Gase. And here we are.

Todd Bowles getting his shot again in Detroit would be...well, I'd feel bad for Lions fans. We saw that act up close and personal. I can't believe the way to address racial imbalances in the pro football hiring world is to hire more retread coaches. I would have hoped that it opened up opportunities for guys that weren't already failed coaches. I mean, Bowles had no clue what he was doing when he was here, jumping up and down after drafting second-round reaches at linebacker and the like. If he had any input into those drafts, well, the choices speak for themselves.

Maccagnan and Bowles. You'd have thought it couldn't get much worse. Enter Adam Gase. And here we are.
They want to repeat the sleepy Jim Caldwell era with Todd Bowles, sadly the most success they've had in franchise history record wise.  Same way we want to repeat the Rex era, I guess  :shrug:

I don't mind Saleh walking out without a contract.  Even if they end up hiring him anyway.  Douglas is new to all of this - I think he knows better than to let himself fall in love with the first girl showing him a little leg.  The first HC candidate he ever gets to interview in person as a GM, I think we should be happy he wasn't rushing to make the hire right away.
But this was the second interview and Douglas had many other candidates before him already.

This.

When I saw that the Eagles were interested, I texted my buddy (who is a DIE HARD) and he was beside himself. He heard me complain about him for 2 years and knows the deal.

Bowles is a good guy and a good coach....but IMO, NOT a head coach. I just dont see it.

The inside word (allegedly, from someone with connections) is that Saleh is JD's preferred choice and the Jets wanted to get it done today. Saleh likes the Jets job, but allegedly prefers going back home to Michigan and wants to see if he gets an offer from the Lions (he allegedly didn't interview well with them).  He told JD that he wanted some more time to explore his options. Then the Jets continued meeting with Arthur Smith tonight whom they also allegedly like. We'll see what happens. 

Smith is the alleged favorite in Atlanta. Daboll is the favorite with the Chargers. Meyer is the favorite in Jacksonville.

That leaves Detroit. Somehow Todd Bowles is a strong consideration there.

Who knows about Houston and Philly.

I think the Jets were impressed with Brady, but concerned about his inexperience (allegedly).

They liked Staley (allegedly), but have to wait until the Rams are out to meet again.

It sounds like Bienemy isn't a favorite anywhere (including us). I haven't heard anything about Eberflus. Then there is Marvin Smith and A. Glenn. Lots of allegedly since it's based on people with connections or hearsay from NFL insiders.

it will be really interesting if Bienemy doesn't get a job AGAIN. There will likely be a LOT racism calls if that happens (even if Bowles gets another gig).

it will be really interesting if Bienemy doesn't get a job AGAIN. There will likely be a LOT racism calls if that happens (even if Bowles gets another gig).
I forgot which national guy tweeted something yesterday to that effect. He said it's very likely that Bienemy doesn't get a coaching job this year and that there will be a lot of backlash.

There are a lot of contradicting rumors about his interviews. Some say he hasn't done a good job interviewing or presenting a detailed vision of his future team while others say that he interviewed well. Who knows.

Btw, Urban Meyer to Jacksonville.

This is the one solace I take out of not getting Lawrence. I think Meyer will be a disaster in the pros and the tweedle dumb an tweedle dumber brothers would have fallen all over themselves if he called and showed interest in the Jets job.
The scuttlebutt (what else is there to do other than listen to rumors at this time of year?) is that Meyer would have never considered the Jets even with Lawrence. Not enough power with JD around plus not too many people are enamored with Dumb and Dumber.

This is the one solace I take out of not getting Lawrence. I think Meyer will be a disaster in the pros and the tweedle dumb an tweedle dumber brothers would have fallen all over themselves if he called and showed interest in the Jets job.
My gut tells me Meyer will flame out. My more reasoned half tells me to look at all the Jags skill players and draft picks and thinks it might actually get done right. On offense, you have Lawrence, Chark, Shenault, Cole, and Robinson (if they don't even take a more dynamic back) which is a great foundation to start with. Young and green, yes. But a good foundation of capable, even really talented, guys. On defense, well, that's a work that needs to be in progress. That might be where they focus a lot of their capital.

Smith was on my top 3 but Saleh really impressed me during my research...Brady still my top candidate as Id rather be a yr early than late....If things shake out with Saleh in Detroit and Smith in Atlanta it will be interesting to see where they go....

As for Bienemy....I dont think its fair to get brushback for not hiring him....he has a lot of question marks and baggage

Detroit hired its gm (from Rams). Maybe they will hire Staley or push forward with Saleh.

Saleh is heading to the Chargers for his second interview.

While I'm skeptical of the "lets just do the opposite" strategy, they're doing the opposite of probably the worst coach in NFL history, so it cant be a bad thing, right?

Interested to see what kind of staff he can pull together and what their approach is with Sam. Unfortunately, we're likely to know the deal on that for several months.

edit: Looks like he's taking LeFleur as his OC instead of this guy, so that's a win right off the bat.

I’m a little concerned that they seem to be doing the right thing right off the bat. Seriously though, I trust in Douglas to get the right guy for this team.

Of the candidates already mentioned I like Patrick Graham, Matt Campbell, and Robert Saleh the most. I don't care about their specialties. If a guy is an offensive coordinator it means he might a playsheet geek like Adam Gase. A guy can be a defensive coordinator and still run an entire team. I know that did not happen with Todd Bowles but it can happen with Graham and/or Saleh. 

Brian Daboll, Brian Schottenheimer, and Dan Mullen are scary. Two were already with the Jets and the other is a clown who would undoubtedly do something Jets-meme worthy at some point. Butt fumble, Gase's eyes, Holtz's cornball fight song, Kotite not being fired or having resigned, Mullen's (insert clown action here). 

Daboll comes across as the next Doug Marrone or Eric Mangini- some non-inspiring head coach who might know some football things but will be limited as a head coach and will not make anyone forget leaders like Chuck Noll or Bill Parcells. 

Brandon Staley and Joe Brady have great promise but they are very young. That type of youngster coming to this mess could be asking for more trouble. 

Now, Graham and Saleh are not old but they have been around longer than Staley and Brady. 

Campbell's issue is jumping from college to the NFL. 
Yes, bumping my own post. Graham got brainwashed in New England to never work for the Jets and Campbell is content in Iowa State. That left Saleh.

Of the nine guys who the Jets interviewed, Saleh was my top guy by a mile. 

I am very pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread