What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (2 Viewers)

Twitter feed today is alive with suitors for Sam and draft dirt on the Jags.

Anybody hear that the Jaguars have used two their allotted five Zoom visits with Zach Wilson and that Schottenheimer has been talking him up a bit?

It likely means nothing, but that would really take the cake, wouldn't it? If Trevor Lawrence somehow fell to the Jets in the draft?

Holy cow would they ever be in the catbird's seat if that happened.

And now Prescott is signed. That'll dominate all the news.
I am not even going to allow myself to believe this is possible - because it really isn't.

They had Lawrence in the bag and blew it.  They should have tanked.  Integrity be damned.
Hmmmmmmm.....

.... you know, no one in hear even thought of that. We all celebrated that huge win over the Rams. For the week leading up to that game we kept quoting Herman Edwards, "Hello? You play to win the game".

If only you showed up months ago.

Hmmmmmmm.....

.... you know, no one in hear even thought of that. We all celebrated that huge win over the Rams. For the week leading up to that game we kept quoting Herman Edwards, "Hello? You play to win the game".

If only you showed up months ago.
I laughed at their win over the Rams.

Golloday NOT tagged.

Hes my top choice. Guy is a stud.
I'm really hesitant on Golladay. He's older (28), was injured all year, and only has a year or two of real production. Davis is younger. Fuller is faster. Godwin and ARob are tagged or expected to be. This FA class thinned out pretty quickly, didn't it?

I'd love to see them take a look at Curtis Samuel, Fuller, Davis, or their later first-round pick at the cheaper rate. 

This is why I dont get too crazy with who is a FA....all these sexy names dwindled down to a mere few...best matches and names would obviously be Thuney and Golliday...I dont see JD spending huge on a WR.....I could see him doing so on Thuney and/or a pass rusher/CB as long as it doesnt get crazy....

I see mostly a bunch of mid range FAs and a lot of SF connection guys....

Both have officially been tagged.
ARob, too, huh?

I saw Godwin for sure. ARob still might be a sign-and-trade, if I'm reading right, so the Jets might still be able to swing something for him. Godwin's not a tag-and-trade. I don't think Tampa and Godwin are a good long term fit, and they're playing for now, it seems.

This is why I dont get too crazy with who is a FA....all these sexy names dwindled down to a mere few...best matches and names would obviously be Thuney and Golliday...I dont see JD spending huge on a WR.....I could see him doing so on Thuney and/or a pass rusher/CB as long as it doesnt get crazy....

I see mostly a bunch of mid range FAs and a lot of SF connection guys....
I'd rather them spend the money on Thuney than Golloday. 

Last edited by a moderator:
ARob, too, huh?

I saw Godwin for sure. ARob still might be a sign-and-trade, if I'm reading right, so the Jets might still be able to swing something for him. Godwin's not a tag-and-trade. I don't think Tampa and Godwin are a good long term fit, and they're playing for now, it seems.
Bears assigned the franchise tag to WR Allen Robinson. 

Robinson's coming tag was the offseason's worst kept secret. It is worth $16.4 million. The sides have not appeared remotely close to a long-term agreement, and Robinson might be feeling disrespected enough to not really consider one before the mid-July deadline. That would change if the Bears came truly correct, of course, but there has been little indication that is in the offing. With Robinson secured for at least 2021, the Bears' next order of business is figuring out who will be throwing him the football. Five months shy of his 28th birthday, Robinson remains one of the very best wideouts in football. 

Wow. They're all getting older, too, save Godwin and Samuel who are both 25 and under. 28 is just getting to that hill for a WR. One can still be productive, but these guys are looking for long-term deals. No thank you. Davis is 26, which is better than 28. Julio is visibly breaking down at 32/33 with his body integrity, and 31 seems to be the cliff age. What's to make us think these guys won't fall off that cliff, or is the money at the end no big deal?

I'd prefer we take our 23rd pick of the draft and select Rashod Bateman or somebody like him. He's primed to play the X right away, from what I've been reading and hearing. 

I'd rather them spend the money on Thuney than Golloday. 
agreed - you can get WRs....stud like Thuney much harder.....

Id rather have Thuney and Samuel than Golliday and a lesser IOL.  

He may also try to grab a premiere CB/pass rusher as well - those are much harder to find....

agreed - you can get WRs....stud like Thuney much harder.....

Id rather have Thuney and Samuel than Golliday and a lesser IOL.  

He may also try to grab a premiere CB/pass rusher as well - those are much harder to find....

They thing is...they can get both.  There's enough money there.

I'm guessing they wont do it (because I think Douglas is all business and wont care for his personality) but man......Juju is such a good fit for what they want to do offensively. And if they're sticking with Sam (which I dont agree with, but just for arguments sake) there's already some history there.

Very excited to see the start of free agency in a couple of days. The dots will start to connect and we'll see the plan starting to come together.

They thing is...they can get both.  There's enough money there.

I'm guessing they wont do it (because I think Douglas is all business and wont care for his personality) but man......Juju is such a good fit for what they want to do offensively. And if they're sticking with Sam (which I dont agree with, but just for arguments sake) there's already some history there.

Very excited to see the start of free agency in a couple of days. The dots will start to connect and we'll see the plan starting to come together.
If Mac was still in charge then Id be looking forward to lots of big splashes in the next few days....I just dont see JD going that route....even with all that money Im not sure he will go after any of the premium players...Hope Im wrong and he grabs a stud or 2 but Im expecting him to dumpster dive after the crazy money is spent again

If Mac was still in charge then Id be looking forward to lots of big splashes in the next few days....I just dont see JD going that route....even with all that money Im not sure he will go after any of the premium players...Hope Im wrong and he grabs a stud or 2 but Im expecting him to dumpster dive after the crazy money is spent again
I agree. I don’t think Douglas is making any big splashes in free agency outside of the OL.

I think he’ll address some holes but like you said more after the initial rush.

From what I've read Douglas' first call today is to Thuney's agent. Make it happen Joe.

I've also read they are the leading contenders for Golloday (not sure I buy that one).

From what I've read Douglas' first call today is to Thuney's agent. Make it happen Joe.

I've also read they are the leading contenders for Golloday (not sure I buy that one).
Ill believe both when I see it but Id be pretty darn happy if they landed either of those players - let alone both!  

Have to think they are in on Thuney or else they would have been in on Zeitler - 3 yrs $21M for a solid guard upgrade seems very reasonable....JD may be big game hunting at OL

Shaq Barrett going back to TB....not sure how they are affording all these players but regardless thats one less pass rusher on the market

Elflien with a pretty big deal to go to Carolina. (I know some people were hoping he'd take a 1 year "prove it" type contract. Obviously that didn't happen)

I dont know much about O-line play, but it seems weird that everyone in the NFL seems to prefer him at guard (rather than center). I know the NFL is different from college, but he won the Rimington at tOSU and seems like he did his best as a rookie playing center.

Jets can't sign everybody. They've got a more than workable TE in Herndon. If he shows up unsuspended and in playing shape, he's pretty darn good. No need to drop 4/50 on a guy.
I liked Jonu as well but thats a lot of cash for a TE....Im not convinced Herndon is toast....Id rather draft a TE....

Hopefully JD isnt bogged down by 1 or 2 players while others sign....cant get caught 

Jets can't sign everybody. They've got a more than workable TE in Herndon. If he shows up unsuspended and in playing shape, he's pretty darn good. No need to drop 4/50 on a guy.
I don't think there's anything wrong with having two good TEs and let's not forget Herndon lost the ability to even catch the ball last season. It's not like he's a lock to return to form.

With that said I do agree 4/50 is a bit much, and I'm already over it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having two good TEs and let's not forget Herndon lost the ability to even catch the ball last season. It's not like he's a lock to return to form.

With that said I do agree 4/50 is a bit much, and I'm already over it.
I agree with this. It's still a chance I'm willing to take rather than using up draft or free agent capital.

4 yr $56M for $14M per yr for Judon seems pretty reasonable for a very good pass rusher.....was hoping hed be on JDs radar...all quiet so far...

So.....not really feeling this Jarrad Davis contract at all. I know its only 1 year, but 7 mil for a guy that couldn't even start for the Lions?

Is he an especially good coverage LB or something?

JD true to his word and reputation so far.......1 yr deal for mediocre talent....not a fan

At least Thuney went to KC....Jets would probably had to blow away that offer to get him.....really upset he didnt go after Zeitler now

5 yrs $80M for thuney - $16M per yr....not crazy for elite talent.....The Mac days are over for spending wild....JD better hit home runs in the draft.  

interesting - but unless its a decent pick I dont see the point.....Jets need talent not more lotto picks

@TomPelissero

· 1m

The #Jets have been receiving trade calls on four-time Pro Bowl LB C.J. Mosley, per sources. After opting out last year, Mosley still has $22 million in guarantees remaining on his contract, but his cap hit to a new team would be a relatively reasonable $6M in 2021.

So.....not really feeling this Jarrad Davis contract at all. I know its only 1 year, but 7 mil for a guy that couldn't even start for the Lions?

Is he an especially good coverage LB or something?
From what Im reading....lost his job...terrible at covering but fast and blitzer....most saying its a big overpay.  Not a great way to start.  

Lots of smoke re trading Mosley - they would save $1.5 on his deal if hes traded so Davis would start in a swap of around $5.5 total....I cant see more than a 4th rder at best for Mosely - probably a 5th or 6th.....again not very exciting moves so far

5 yrs $80M for thuney - $16M per yr....not crazy for elite talent.....The Mac days are over for spending wild....JD better hit home runs in the draft.  
It's not crazy but it's a lot for a Guard and it's a stretch to call him elite.

That said it's a bummer to lose out, but how much more could they have really offered to sway him to come to the Jets instead of a Super Bowl contender?

It's not crazy but it's a lot for a Guard and it's a stretch to call him elite.

That said it's a bummer to lose out, but how much more could they have really offered to sway him from coming to the Jets instead of a Super Bowl contender?
I think he is a top guard...definitely would have been a massive upgrade.....but no shame losing him to KC...Jets would have had to overpay him by a ton and that never works out...Im more understanding of losing out to that bid than spending $7M on a guy who lost his job on an awful Lions defense....who exactly was he bidding against?  

Corey Linsley to the Chargers......oh man.....not good at all

5 yrs $62M $12.5M yr.....a bit high but a very good center and would have improved the OL tremendously....unless he pulls something out of his hat its another year of value dumpster diving.  

I think he is a top guard...definitely would have been a massive upgrade.....but no shame losing him to KC...Jets would have had to overpay him by a ton and that never works out...Im more understanding of losing out to that bid than spending $7M on a guy who lost his job on an awful Lions defense....who exactly was he bidding against?  
He’s good but was ranked 14th at his position last season based on what I read. I surely wanted him but $16MM is borderline top OT money.

i really don’t know anything about the Lions LB - but can’t say I’m thrilled by that singing. 

So here's the thing. We always say "better to build through the draft". Well, when you build through the draft, you eventually have to pay someone. Who are they gonna pay? They didn't want to pay Adams (and I dont blame them).  They didn't pay Robbie Anderson. They're obviously not going to pay Darnold (barring a miracle).  They franchised Maye.

Yeah, in a couple years, they'll have to pay Q. Hopefully they'll be in a position where they have to pay Becton. But that's YEARS from now. If the Chiefs are showing us anything....its that you can get out from pretty much any contract (with some short term pain) and make room for the right player.

I get not splurging in free agency for the wrong guys. But when you're 2-3 years away from having to pay the "right guys", why not shell out a LITTLE more for a key guy that could really help the team.

I'm not saying pay 20M for Thuney to try and get him to spurn KC. But there are still several big time pass rushers out there. Its a HUGE position of need. I'm not smart enough to know which one is the best scheme fit, but if they walk away with just a few decent pieces, they're basically guaranteeing another sub 6 win season next year. 

So here's the thing. We always say "better to build through the draft". Well, when you build through the draft, you eventually have to pay someone. Who are they gonna pay? They didn't want to pay Adams (and I dont blame them).  They didn't pay Robbie Anderson. They're obviously not going to pay Darnold (barring a miracle).  They franchised Maye.

Yeah, in a couple years, they'll have to pay Q. Hopefully they'll be in a position where they have to pay Becton. But that's YEARS from now. If the Chiefs are showing us anything....its that you can get out from pretty much any contract (with some short term pain) and make room for the right player.

I get not splurging in free agency for the wrong guys. But when you're 2-3 years away from having to pay the "right guys", why not shell out a LITTLE more for a key guy that could really help the team.

I'm not saying pay 20M for Thuney to try and get him to spurn KC. But there are still several big time pass rushers out there. Its a HUGE position of need. I'm not smart enough to know which one is the best scheme fit, but if they walk away with just a few decent pieces, they're basically guaranteeing another sub 6 win season next year. 
On the other side it’s easy to say just throw money at guys. Other teams have money as well and players also take other factors into consideration.

Im frustrated as well but the truth is we haven’t even really scratched the surface of the free agent pool yet. There’s still time.

I think a big part of the problem is we sit here all offseason, myself included, assuming Thuney is already on the team. Of course 15 other teams’ fans are thinking the same.

Hopefully free agency ends with the Jets landing at least 3 major pieces - but sure right now we only feel like we’ve lost something.

Anyone else think the Pats are actually coming off as a little desperate with some of these signings?

I mean obviously it’s a much better run organization than the Jets, and there’s probably some hint of jealousy that they’re doing something - but they’re spending a ton of money and not getting any real difference makers.

Anyone else think the Pats are actually coming off as a little desperate with some of these signings?

I mean obviously it’s a much better run organization than the Jets, and there’s probably some hint of jealousy that they’re doing something - but they’re spending a ton of money and not getting any real difference makers.
Yes, totally desperate. Warren Sharp of Sharp Football is insisting they've overpaid. I mean Jonnu and Judon sound great together, but at those prices?

They really saw something in Jonnu, for sure. And I don't blame them. He was an underutilized TE with the Titans who was called upon to do a lot of run blocking, which he's mediocre at.

Judon, though? Not seeing it, really.

Oh my God. The Pats just signed...wait for it...

not Curtis Samuel, but Nelson Agholor.

Two years at 26 million dollars. That's a heck of a payday.

Users who are viewing this thread