What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (2 Viewers)

That's the joke. Ten teams passed, but the Jets were bearing the brunt of the scrutiny about their pick in the days leading up to the draft. Everybody in the Twitterverse was seemingly pissed at the Jets for not taking their guy Fields. The media howled about it, but it was a done deal, so they began to preemptively criticize the Jets. 

That's the whole point of the title. 
Niners are getting quite a bit of it too. “Fields has so much more experience than Lance in the same type of player!”

Except he doesn’t, because Fields didn’t run PA behind center or call his own protections as Lance did. 

And Shanny runs a heavy PA oriented offense, so...

I don’t see much criticism over the Wilson pick - he was reportedly the pick for a month now, and I mostly saw consensus agreement that it was the correct pick there. 

Now, the Jets are cursed so he’ll probably fail miserably for some as-yet-to-be-revealed reason. But on draft day he was the right pick. 👍🏼

Unless of course the Jets can find the old Roma woman they inadvertently insulted & beg her to lift the QB curse, of course. Time will tell. 

I don’t see much criticism over the Wilson pick - he was reportedly the pick for a month now, and I mostly saw consensus agreement that it was the correct pick there. 
Probably my Twitter feed is a little different than the mainstream press. We had guys from Doug Farrar to Nate Tice to Rotounderworld to FBGs all criticizing the pick. 

Now, the Jets are cursed so he’ll probably fail miserably for some as-yet-to-be-revealed reason. But on draft day he was the right pick. 👍🏼

Unless of course the Jets can find the old Roma woman they inadvertently insulted & beg her to lift the QB curse, of course. Time will tell. 
Indeed. I tried to find her last time I was in Italy, but I drowned in a pool of Limoncello and never recovered. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports it will be "extremely difficult" for the Bears to trade Nick Foles this offseason. 

Rapoport cited Foles' contract as a nonstarter, but it's the play of the journeyman QB that will make it nearly impossible to entice a team -- any team. Foles is guaranteed $4 million in 2021 and $5 million in 2022. That's a lot of cash for a quarterback who will probably be inactive on game days this season. The team's starting job is Justin Fields' to lose, no matter what pronouncements Bears coaches make in the coming months. 
Jets could use a veteran backup QB and they should be able to get him super cheap (swapping 6th rounders?) since the Bears want him off the books. The $9MM over two years isn't cost prohibitive to a team paying a rookie QB.

I'm hearing that the Raiders have made a rich offer to move up to our spot. The Giants are interested, too.

I was heart broken that the #2WR on my board was announced by Coles no less as Elijah Moore going to the Jets. I wanted so bad to root for this kid even if Miami didn't draft him. 

Good job, he's going to be a workhorse and a lot better than Corey Davis in the coming seasons. 

I was heart broken that the #2WR on my board was announced by Coles no less as Elijah Moore going to the Jets. I wanted so bad to root for this kid even if Miami didn't draft him. 

Good job, he's going to be a workhorse and a lot better than Corey Davis in the coming seasons. 
#2. Really? That's high praise or you didn't like the other two.

#2. Really? That's high praise or you didn't like the other two.
I love him, a combo of what Miami really needed. He is 4.35 fast, great hands, makes tough catches, very polished already coming into the NFL and will be an immediate connection for the rookie QB. 

Ole Miss and this kid just owned it, hard worker and can get create space when there isn't any, uses his frame to shield, can run the post, did I mention how much I liekd this kid and would have preferred Miami had gone Sewell-Philips-Moore but obviously that was never going to happen being behind the Jets. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I love him, a combo of what Miami really needed. He is 4.35 fast, great hands, makes tough catches, very polished already coming into the NFL and will be an immediate connection for the rookie QB. 

Miss State and this kid just owned it, hard worker and can get create space when there isn't any, uses his frame to shield, can run the post, did I mention how much I liekd this kid and would have preferred Miami had gone Sewell-Philips-Moore but obviously that was never going to happen being behind the Jets. 
I heard last night that the Jets were trying to trade up into the late first to take him. They got close with GB allegedly, but GB decided to take the CB instead.

Is this the Jets?  1st 3 picks are offense and it has transformed the Jets O into this century finally!  Very cool that Coles reads the pick as this kid reminds me of him.  Finally a fast home run hitter that teams will have to ganeplan for....what a draft!  Great job JD!!!

Wow. A smurf slot guy. Bummer. Looks like J. Crowder is the odd man out. Well, we'll save ten million against the cap with that move, I suppose. 

Wow. A smurf slot guy. Bummer. Looks like J. Crowder is the odd man out. Well, we'll save ten million against the cap with that move, I suppose. 
check out the tape...hes small but plays much bigger....Tyreek is only an inch taller.....speed and technique can overcome height.....watch his film...youll get excited!  

Mims and Davis will be the muscle - this kid the home run hitter....Jets are putting together a real O

check out the tape...hes small but plays much bigger....Tyreek is only an inch taller.....speed and technique can overcome height.....watch his film...youll get excited!  

Mims and Davis will be the muscle - this kid the home run hitter....Jets are putting together a real O
Ugh. I've seen his film. I especially like when he imitates a dog micturating and costs his team the game against Miss. St., IIRC. I can't watch enough film to get 5'9" out of my system. PFF loves the pick, though, so by all means NYRAGE should know I'm on board. 

Javonte Williams to the Broncos. They're absolutely trying to kill my 1.04 and 1.05 in fantasy, aren't they? This is a disaster today. Great stuff. 

https://youtu.be/TfE93xON8jk?t=39

We’ll know quickly whether Wilson is good or not. They have added weapons and are building the line, and they’re not done yet.

Listen I’ve been a Jets fan long enough to know not to ever get too excited, but I’m on board with Joe Douglas and Saleh. I’m not sure Saleh has any say, or should, but I give him credit for assumedly being on board with supporting the QB despite being a defense guy. He just seems smart enough to know that this year is all about developing the new QB. Honestly I wouldn’t care if they don’t draft defense at all. They have some talent there already and can just sign some leftover veteran CBs as placeholders. 

It is refreshing to see the Jets heavily invest on the offensive side of the ball.  As I've said before, I don't think this franchise can develop a QB, but they are doing everything they can to make that happen.  I hope they're right.

We’ll know quickly whether Wilson is good or not. They have added weapons and are building the line, and they’re not done yet.

Listen I’ve been a Jets fan long enough to know not to ever get too excited, but I’m on board with Joe Douglas and Saleh. I’m not sure Saleh has any say, or should, but I give him credit for assumedly being on board with supporting the QB despite being a defense guy. He just seems smart enough to know that this year is all about developing the new QB. Honestly I wouldn’t care if they don’t draft defense at all. They have some talent there already and can just sign some leftover veteran CBs as placeholders. 
If you listen to Saleh's quotes or interviews, he is as excited if not more than JD about our picks. Or he is really an upbeat guy or hell of an actor.  He's definitely on board. I just hope they sign a CB this weekend.

I think it's also nice for a change to realize that since we have a heavily defensive minded HC, he SHOULD, in theory be able to coach up the defense/later round picks better.  As opposed to DB extraordinaire Todd Bowles needing us to spend 2 top 40 picks on safeties.

I think it's also nice for a change to realize that since we have a heavily defensive minded HC, he SHOULD, in theory be able to coach up the defense/later round picks better.  As opposed to DB extraordinaire Todd Bowles needing us to spend 2 top 40 picks on safeties.
We'll grab a LB or two later. Probably a CB, too.  I can see us going RB, another lineman, and an H-back like Mason.

Really like the Jets draft so far. Love the idea of drafting high end players on offense to grow with our rookie QB. JD seems hell bent on not repeating the same mistakes of previous GMs in not putting our rookie QB in a position to fail. drafting top shelf OL to protect the blind side is the absolute right call. 
getting rid of Gase was addition by subtraction 

Something being overlooked with the cap space is that the Jets will have money to sign guys that get cut due to cap numbers in the summer. I’m impressed with Douglas so far. He’s had misses, but is slow playing it perfectly. 

Smart drafting by the Jets...once you get a potential franchise QB nothing matters more than developing him and a huge piece of it is surrounding him with as much talent as possible...it is impressive that Saleh is a defensive guy but he is traveling down this path.

Smart drafting by the Jets...once you get a potential franchise QB nothing matters more than developing him and a huge piece of it is surrounding him with as much talent as possible...it is impressive that Saleh is a defensive guy but he is traveling down this path.
it shows that he is the 1st complete team coach since Parcells.....no more defensive/offensive coaches...just a HC.  Refreshing

They identified that the offense was light years behind the curve and that is partly why Sam failed.....good to see them recognizing the mistake and correcting it for Wilson.  If he fails it should no be due to poor coaching and lack of weapons. 

Versatile jack of all trades safety, but pretty meh selection. We need depth at Safety.

edit - Announced as a LB

State of the Union:

I think we should be pretty happy today. For years, we've had:

1) One bad GM after another

2) A dysfunctional organization structure

3) Terrible coaching staffs

4a) A failure to draft offense and o-line in particular,

4b) Ignoring premium positions like o-line and pass rushers for defensive tackles, linebackers, and safeties.

5) The future

Let's take a look at each:

1) Idzik was bad, but Maccant is up there for one of the worst GMs of all time. He left our team in a state of nuclear devastation.Our team was the NFL version of Chernobyl. In comes, JD, a respected man around the league that many felt was ready to be the next good GM. Well, you never know how first timers will turn out. Unfortunately for him, he joined the team after the Draft and FA period.

His only FA signing was a center out of retirement that stole our money. His first real FA period was disappointing. He seemed to blow off last season with some questionable cheap FA signings and lack of support for the QB. At least he recognized the importance of addressing the o-line. His top draft pick was a Home-run at Left Tackle. Covid and injuries prevented us from properly assessing the rest of his draft. His draft maneuvering for Mims was bold and impressive. JD seemed to have made a decent deal trading Leonard Williams and later got a steal getting 2 firsts and a third for disgruntled Jamal Adams. 

Although there were some good positive signs after his first year, there were some questions coming into his second season. Who would he hire for coach? What kind of offensive system would he implement? Would he stick with a terrible QB that was ruined by the previous GM and Coach. Would he finally put his QB in position to succeed?

2) After Gase was fired, the Jets finally changed the organizational structure. JD was now in full control. He would hire the new coach. It would be his vision of how to build the organization.

3) We've had a history of bad coaches, but Gase was the worst. Maybe one of the worst coaches of all time. He was despised by the fan base and often by many of the players. The little weirdo stayed in his office all day and barely communicated with his players. I don't want to throw up in my mouth thinking about him any longer, so I'll move on to our new coach. JD hired Saleh who was respected throughout the league and was seen as a top candidate for several coaching openings. Players actually wanted to play for him. They brought in many of SF's well-regarded coaches and it's favorable offensive system. The Jets also implemented a new medical & training program.  As with JD, you don't know how new hires will turn out, but at least there is potential with Saleh and most importantly, he seems to be the opposite of Gase.

4) JD proves that he is not blind by jettisoning the worst starting QB in the league. Yes, the Jets did not provide Darnold any help in his three seasons. Terrible coaching, terrible offensive systems, and crappy players around him. The bottom line is JD saw a bad QB that maybe could be helped with better coaches and players, but decided to restart the organization with a QB with a higher ceiling.  Now would he put players around that QB to help him succeed?

JD started the process last year by making Becton his first round pick. He followed that up with WR Mims.  Then in free agency he signed Corey Davis and Keelan Cole. After selecting Wilson, many suspected that JD would go with CB or pass rush to appease his new defensive coach, especially because the top guard in the draft was expected to be drafted in the 12-14 range. So what does JD do? He trades up to get AVT. Brilliant move. He amassed a ton of draft picks over the next 2 years and could afford to give up 2 third round picks to land a stud guard that also could play tackle successfully if needed.

With the second round pick (#34), JD goes back to the offensive well again and drafts E. Moore, a route technician with 4.3 speed and college production galore. Some say he is as good of a route runner as Antonio Brown, but with good character (just look at AJ Brown crying over the draft selection of his friend Moore). AJ Brown, a proven stud WR tells Moore that Moore is better than him. Holy cow, sign me up. Wilson is going to love this kid. He gets open, is fearless over the middle, and is a threat to take it to the house on any given throw.

In the 4th round, JD once again goes offense and selects Michael Carter who gained 8 yards per carry and almost 11 yards per reception this past season for NC. 4 straight offensive picks. WUT? Well this answered whether JD would support his new QB.

Where do we stand on offense? We have a new QB in Wilson coming off an incredible senior season. We have a very good physical former first round WR perfect for our system in Corey Davis. We have second year, second round WR Mims that had a first round grade. We have another first round graded WR in Elijah Moore. We have a versatile Keelan Cole for depth and one of the best slot WRs in Crowder, although he is in his last year and not really a great fit for this offense. This is light year's better than last year.

TE is still a major question mark. Herndon stunk last year. This is his year to make it or get dumped. Kroft is a decent blocker and not much else. Griffin is a cut candidate. Our UDFA Kenny Yeboah, E Moore's college teammate, has a chance to make the team as a receiving TE.

Our RBs are Carter, Tevin Coleman, Ty Johnson - all perfect fits for the zone blocking SF West Coast offense. Plus there is last year's 4th rounder Perine.  Johnson will be even better in our system. Carter will be a big upgrade from Gore. Coleman is a good experienced scheme fit.

O-line: Becton and AVT will be a stud left side of our line. McGovern and Fant are adequate, but should be better fits in the zone blocking system. Right guard is still a problem. Maybe JD didn't want 2 rookies on the line. Maybe Cameron Clark can move to guard. I would think that Lewis will be cut for a $5m savings. They have Feeney for depth.

Defense - We had ignored pass rusher for ages. JD and Saleh immediately addressed this in FA by signing Carl Lawson, Sheldon Rankins and Vinny Curry. We already have a stud in Q plus some interesting young guys like John Franklin Myers, B Huff, and maybe Zuniga can rise from the draft dead. We should get some good pressure from the d-line.

I'm not sure if Mosely is a great fit for the 4-3, but he should be healthy and rested. We'll see what Davis can do in this system.

Rounds 4-6 saw the Jets draft a crap-shoot of players with skillsets for Saleh's system. We might find a LB out of one those 2 LB-Safety hybrids. They also drafted 3 CBs in the 5th-6th round.  Michael Carter II has a chance to make it as our slot CB. I don't know if any of these guys will start or need development time, but they have the skillset to potentially play for them some day.

5) The immediate future: Hopefully we sign one of Sherman/Nelson. We have the cap room. There are several decent depth pass rushers left if we want to add one. We need to add an experienced back-up QB (Hoyer or Mullens). We can add more cap room by cutting Lewis and Griffin. They could even cut Crowder for another $10m if they wanted to. GvR is another option.

Next year: We have 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks, and a third round pick (plus a 4th, 2 5th round picks and 3 6th round picks). Next year we can add another o-lineman (RT or RG) and a premium pass rusher. We can target a TE in the second or third round. Plus another CB with one of those top 5 picks. Maybe even another WR.

I don't expect a ton of winning this year, but the development of Wilson and the offense will be the key success factor for the future. If you're not excited about the Jets today, I don't know what it will take.Things are night and day compared to a year ago. Enough babbling. Godspeed my friends.

Good read, NYRAGE. By all accounts, we had a great draft, at least at first blush. If draft grades were indicative of future success, we'd have gobs of it. Almost nobody can find fault with it, except for some rangy ******* draftnik named Thor (I'm not kidding) who gave it a D. 

Good read, NYRAGE. By all accounts, we had a great draft, at least at first blush. If draft grades were indicative of future success, we'd have gobs of it. Almost nobody can find fault with it, except for rangy ******* draftnik named Thor (I'm not kidding) who gave it a D. 
lol, So they pretty much get As across the board until that Incel gives him a "D". Even with that, they had the 4th highest grade. Higher without that clown's grade.

Anyway, who cares about their draft grade. I think the point is that JD gets it and it appears that we are finally in good hands after years of negligence and ineptitude.

lol, So they pretty much get As across the board until that Incel gives him a "D". Even with that, they had the 4th highest grade. Higher without that clown's grade.

Anyway, who cares about their draft grade. I think the point is that JD gets it and it appears that we are finally in good hands after years of negligence and ineptitude.
Draft grades are indeed rubbish. You are correct that what is important is that we finally have a coach that reports to the GM, a seemingly reasonably competent (dare we wish?) GM that didn't braincramp and take a fourth-round QB that'll never see the field in a knee brace this time, A GM who wields the GM role with the autonomy to do things with merely some sort of reasonable oversight from the vaccine kings. 

I was very  happy with their draft. I especially liked the fist four picks. I would’ve liked to see at least one more guard on day 3, maybe with the 2nd 4th they got from the Vikings in the trade up. I know they signed a couple of UDFA OL but still....

The important takeaway is that Douglas is making an effort to provide Wilson with protection and weapons. I’m not as concerned about the defense because I know this team has a lot of holes and it’s not a one year fix. 

I'm just being funny about JD. He seems to have nailed this draft. I have two minor preferences vs. his picks, but that's all they are, and nothing egregious like Mccagnan. God bless that JD believes in positional value. 

Waldman has Michael Carter as RB4 in the entire class, calling him a souped-up version of Clyde Edwards-Helaire. I love that. A better CEH with more power and a little more speed. I'll take it. 

I was very  happy with their draft. I especially liked the fist four picks. I would’ve liked to see at least one more guard on day 3, maybe with the 2nd 4th they got from the Vikings in the trade up. I know they signed a couple of UDFA OL but still....

The important takeaway is that Douglas is making an effort to provide Wilson with protection and weapons. I’m not as concerned about the defense because I know this team has a lot of holes and it’s not a one year fix. 
Yeah, I agree. I was complaining about the Elijah Moore pick, but in retrospect, a lot of people love the player, so who am I at that point, really? Got a huge open mind about him in the slot. If he's a true 4.4 guy that runs good routes, I am kind of giddy, and could only bicker about the slew of DBs we took late. We could have had the guard KC took, Trey Smith (who teams were scared off of because of clotting), or Khalil Herbert, who would have fit the new scheme well. Just sort of stuff I would have liked to see that maybe we didn't do. But like I said, who am I? 

Thrilled with the draft. We did not take Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp. 

Your media needs kinda stand down a bit. Calling out hot momma when he is clearly part of a Mormon family is a bit weird. You would hope NY media would try make his family be comfy. 👀

Thankfully I don’t know what you’re talking about and hopefully it stays that way.
He's talking about Zach Wilson's mom, who gained (I think) tens of thousands of Instagram followers over the weekend. Indeed, type Zach Wilson into Google and you get "Zach Wilson mom" as a search term right away. 

One problem with Blackbear's thesis: I don't think Wilson is a strict Mormon. Like, at all. He doesn't consider himself "an active member of the church." His words. His mother has said that they "hated BYU" before he went there. I think he might have even had difficulty adjusting to the Mormon rules and ways of being there. There's no mission upcoming, nor has he been on one. All he had to do was show up and ball. Hopefully people do indeed relax about his mother. That's an uncomfortable thing, I would suppose. 

But yeah, watching Wilson's obvious discomfort posing for photos while Jaylen Waddle threw gang signs was sort of telling. Most hipsters and all-around "down" reporters found it funny. I kind of get Wilson's uncomfortable reaction. You're standing on a dais, just realizing the dream of your life, and the guy next to you is throwing signs? 

Please, there's a time and a place for everything. 

Users who are viewing this thread