What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (9 Viewers)

Yeah, but I’m glad Saleh isn’t calling plays since that’s too much on a new HC’s plate. I’m sure he’ll be heavily involved in the game-planning.
Agreed - Jets havent had a CEO coach since Parcells.....watching these last few coaches completely ignore the other side of the ball was maddening....like you said Im sure Saleh will have a big hand in planning and give his input/recs/veto on gameday but I really like that he will be free to you know actually talk to all his players instead of just camping in the defensive huddle or staring at an offensive playsheet all game.  

Been away on biz for a few days...couple of things:

Was watching the Saleh presser online while I was away and I gotta say....sure there was a lot of "coach speak" going on but dang...what a tremendously different vibe you get from him than what Gase gave us 3 years ago.

We got a new slogan too look forward too as well...."all gas no brakes" is the new mantra here for the Jets.

The guy knows his ####, his passion for football resonates and most importantly he has normal eyes!....lol.

In all seriousness, I really do like what I heard from Saleh.

For ####s and giggles, I just rewatched some of the "highlights" of the Gase introductory presser from a few years ago and my lord what a #### show it really was. Besides the bug eyes and how bizarre that was, the way Gase communicated his vision compared to Saleh was like night and day. I could barely even comprehend what Gase wanted to accomplish.

Saleh's vision and the way he's going to go about things were crystal clear....he's going to oversee everything for the most part.  I love the fact that tho he's going to be involved with both the offense and defense. Jets need someone like that. No more of the head coach doesn't give a #### about the other side of the ball crap.It's going to be a truly collaborative effort. 

The fact that Saleh is going to report directly too Douglass and no more of the BS way things used to be warmed my heart as well.

I dunno...I'm feeling actually oddly optimistic as crazy as that sounds for a Jet fan to say....hah

Last edited by a moderator:
From Rotoworld:

The Jets are Deshaun Watson's preferred trade partner. 

The rightfully disgruntled franchise QB prefers the Jets "because they hired Robert Saleh to be their coach and Watson values Saleh so much he wanted the Texans to interview him for their vacant head coach job," according to the Miami Herald's Armando Salguero. The Dolphins, per Salguero, rank second on Watson's trade wish list. Recent reports out of Houston indicate it's a matter of when -- not if -- Watson is dealt away after the team's string of management mishaps that alienated the cornerstone of the franchise. Saleh has been complimentary of Sam Darnold, lauding the QB's "unbelievable arm talent," but has stopped short of naming him the Jets' 2021 starter. Darnold's shot at the starting gig would vanish the minute Watson is dealt to New York. Watson -- who has yet to officially request a trade -- would be a giant upgrade for all Jets pass catchers, including Jamison Crowder, Chris Herndon, and Denzel Mims, 

For ####s and giggles, I just rewatched some of the "highlights" of the Gase introductory presser from a few years ago and my lord what a #### show it really was. Besides the bug eyes and how bizarre that was, the way Gase communicated his vision compared to Saleh was like night and day. I could barely even comprehend what Gase wanted to accomplish.

Saleh's vision and the way he's going to go about things were crystal clear....he's going to oversee everything for the most part.  I love the fact that tho he's going to be involved with both the offense and defense. Jets need someone like that. No more of the head coach doesn't give a #### about the other side of the ball crap.It's going to be a truly collaborative effort. 

The fact that Saleh is going to report directly too Douglass and no more of the BS way things used to be warmed my heart as well.

I dunno...I'm feeling actually oddly optimistic as crazy as that sounds for a Jet fan to say....hah
Did you watch the version where he's following a floating taco with his eyes? 

I liked how Saleh talked about putting players in a good position to maximize their contract worth for the future....we cant forget its a business and I think players love to her that....I dont recall hearing a coach discuss it in that way before.  

As for Watson - lots of smoke but still just skeptical on it going down....but the more smoke the better chance of it happening...seems surreal that Jets own star did the same to force his way out of town and now a star is trying to force his way to the Jets lol....amazing what a good coaching hire will do. 

Kiddnets said:
I liked how Saleh talked about putting players in a good position to maximize their contract worth for the future....we cant forget its a business and I think players love to her that....I dont recall hearing a coach discuss it in that way before.  

As for Watson - lots of smoke but still just skeptical on it going down....but the more smoke the better chance of it happening...seems surreal that Jets own star did the same to force his way out of town and now a star is trying to force his way to the Jets lol....amazing what a good coaching hire will do. 
Yeah....at first listen, the fan in me wants to be like "well, why should money be the main motivation?". But then I snap back to reality that this is a business and most of the guys dont have a very long time to earn. And if they're earning a lot, and not named Trumaine Johnson, the odds are that they're performing pretty well. So its a win-win.  And at the end of the day A) its not MY money and B) players generally make around what they're worth in a hard capped league, so whatever.

I'm trying very hard not to get too excited about the Watson situation. At the end of the day, i still just can't believe that any team is going to trade a 25 year old top 5 QB that is signed to a very reasonable contract. If you're Houston, I think you hire Bienemy, get him in a room with Watson and let the healing begin.  

I do think that interviewing Beinemy and Frazier NOW is a bit transparent, but the Texans still hold most of the cards here. I really dont believe Watson is going to hold out and not play. And I dont think he's the kind of guy that would tank.

But the kid in me is dreaming about the kind of team the Jets can build knowing Watson only counts like 10 mil against the cap next year. Sign 2 or 3 big time FA's with front loaded contracts (so that they count less when Watson starts counting for more in '22) and lets roll.

Yeah....at first listen, the fan in me wants to be like "well, why should money be the main motivation?". But then I snap back to reality that this is a business and most of the guys dont have a very long time to earn. And if they're earning a lot, and not named Trumaine Johnson, the odds are that they're performing pretty well. So its a win-win.  And at the end of the day A) its not MY money and B) players generally make around what they're worth in a hard capped league, so whatever.

I'm trying very hard not to get too excited about the Watson situation. At the end of the day, i still just can't believe that any team is going to trade a 25 year old top 5 QB that is signed to a very reasonable contract. If you're Houston, I think you hire Bienemy, get him in a room with Watson and let the healing begin.  

I do think that interviewing Beinemy and Frazier NOW is a bit transparent, but the Texans still hold most of the cards here. I really dont believe Watson is going to hold out and not play. And I dont think he's the kind of guy that would tank.

But the kid in me is dreaming about the kind of team the Jets can build knowing Watson only counts like 10 mil against the cap next year. Sign 2 or 3 big time FA's with front loaded contracts (so that they count less when Watson starts counting for more in '22) and lets roll.
If they did somehow land Watson they could easily fit him under the cap in 2021 and future....Jets currently have $135M in cap space in 2022 with some easy cuts to add to it...lets say they spend $60M on long term contracts this year that would roll into 2022...you could add Watson's $40M hit and still have $35M  room......they really are in a good cap situation - small benefit of drafting horrible!  

Todd from Utah said:
I will NOT get excited about Watson. I will NOT get excited about Watson. I will NOT get excited about Watson.
I'm still not convinced Houston will trade him but the smoke is getting thicker.

Here's my thoughts on what the Jets may have to pay.

I'd offer Darnold, the No. 2 overall pick and one of the firsts for next season - maybe an extra third.

On it's surface this may seem light but the No. 2 pick is not "just a first round pick". The Texans have no picks and can use it to trade down and restock. Darnold doesn't have a ton of value but he could to the Texans. The Texans are going to suck next season, and they are a long way away from being rebuilt, so they can stick Darnold out there and see if  he has any future without any real risk. Plus they just hired Josh McCown as their QB coach.

I'm still not convinced Houston will trade him but the smoke is getting thicker.

Here's my thoughts on what the Jets may have to pay.

I'd offer Darnold, the No. 2 overall pick and one of the firsts for next season - maybe an extra third.

On it's surface this may seem light but the No. 2 pick is not "just a first round pick". The Texans have no picks and can use it to trade down and restock. Darnold doesn't have a ton of value but he could to the Texans. The Texans are going to suck next season, and they are a long way away from being rebuilt, so they can stick Darnold out there and see if  he has any future without any real risk. Plus they just hired Josh McCown as their QB coach.
I do think the #2 pick has more value than being given credit.....but if they go Miami they would get #3 and a young QB in a better time/contract than Darnold.....McCown going to Hou certainly helps the Darnold narrative as there are reports that he would be the next HC...he loved Sam and could definitely see him pushing to get him in a deal

That being said - max I would go is Darnold, #2 overall this yr, Sea pick next yr...plus Id seriously consider sweetening with Jets 2d rder this yr which is pretty much another 1st and swapping the 1st next yr with Jets pick instead of Sea....thats a monster haul but really would be just Jamal plus this yrs 1st and 2d for Watson....a complete steal.  

Jets have been 50 yrs without a real franchise QB....if Watson is available they have to go all in to get him....we are talking 10+ yrs of a top 10 QB which they have ever had.....its worth it....just not sold that Texans would do it....if they do I think Jets are in the lead as I kind of think Miami may want to stick with Tua....

I keep reading how the Rams overpaid for Stafford and that made the Watson price even higher....completely disagree

1.  The Rams had to up the ante to get Detroit to take on Goff's terrible contract......the upgrade was at least akin to the Osweiler deal so figure at least the 3rd rder and probably one of the 1sts were upgraded to dump the contract.  

2.  The Rams didnt trade a 1st rder this yr....so the Lions will get 1sts in 2022 and 2023 which will likely be late 1sts...akin to late 2d rders this yr at best in value chart

3.  When looking at that pkg - what the Rams traded wouldnt even land the #2 overall this year.....imagine trading the #2 pick for 2 future 1st rders?  The Jets would get killed for that deal.....The #2 pick is a huge value that can not be overlooked....

Im still not convinced that Houston trades Watson but if they do the 2d rd pick is easily equal to 2 1sts...which is why the #2 this yr and a 1st next yr blows the Lions deal out of the water...not saying that would get it done but you just cant compare the 2 deals....

New beat writer speculation this am on what it would take to land Watson - 

1.  The Athletic's Joseph Person said NFL insiders "think the Texans will want three first-round picks, or two first-rounders and an established player" in exchange for Deshaun Watson. 

2.  The Houston Chronicle's John McClain said the Texans would want two first round draft picks, two second rounders, and two defensive starters in exchange for Deshaun Watson. 

I think this is knee jerk reaction to not understanding the Stafford deal nor the value of the #2 overall but lets break it down 

1.  3 1st rders - i could live with that if thats it.....maybe JD gets a premium for the #2 and gets away with #2 this yr....Seattle in 2022 and Jets in 2023.  I dont think the Jets send an established player as they dont have much but Id send any player on the roster except Becton and Q....maybe with Uncle Josh on board in Hou they would take Darnold as the established player and 2 1sts....

2.  Not sure what 2 defensive starters Jets could give but as I said Q would be a non-starter....picks no problem  

Yeah, i posted something similar in the Stafford thread.

The #2 pick alone is worth SIGNIFICANTLY more than the entire package they got for Stafford. Goff was clearly not viewed as an asset, but a liability (which is why they got the 2nd first rounder).

The general thought is that future picks are worth one less round than they really are. So you could argue that LA's 2022 first rounder (which i imagine will probably be a late 1 if Stafford stays healthy) is a 2021 2nd. By that same logic, a 2023 first rounder is worth a 2021 3rd. (since we're then 2 years removed).

So basically, the Lions got the equivalent a 2021 2nd, two 2021 3rds and Goff (who was obviously considered a liability).  

The Rams actual 2021 3rd rounder is only worth 150 points on the trade chart. The average value of a 2021 2nd rounder is only about 430 points. The average of a 2021 3rd rounder is only like 200 points.

So all up, that's 780 points, exactly 30% of the value the 2nd pick alone.  Maybe you dont ding the 2023 first rounder a full 2 years of value, but we're also valuing the unknown picks at the middle of their respective rounds (so they'll likely be worth less than that if the Rams are as good as we expect them to be)

And that doesn't include the negative value of taking Goff.

Is Watson worth 3x Stafford in a trade for a team like the Jets? Probably.  Is he worth 5x as much in draft capital? I dont know about that.  The rams view him as the missing piece for a title run. That means something.

I still stick by it.....if the Texans want 2,23 and a first rounder next year for Watson.....deal. (and maybe a mid round pick) Beyond that, I call their bluff. If Watson REALLY wants the Jets, he'll pressure behind the scenes to make it happen (and limit the compensation, which is obviously in his best interest). If he just wants out and is cool with 3 or 4 other teams as well, I'm ok if the Jets bow out.

This trade just keeps looking better and better with all we know about positional value. I generally am not a Tweet reposter, but I'll allow this.

Field Yates

@FieldYates

Looking at other blockbusters that took place before it and have since, the Jets' haul acquired in the Jamal Adams feels like one of the strongest we've seen in a while. Two 1's, a 3 and Bradley McDougald for Adams a 4 and no major money taken on. Checked a lot of boxes.

I think the dynamic of the Jets and the Dolphins both being contenders for Deshaun is very interesting. It may push the price higher than either of those two want to pay for Watson but the added value of him not going to a division rival has to be factored into the price that gets paid. Now if one or both of the Jets and Dolphins are not as keen on Watson as people think, then the Texans will have to settle for less than they hope for.

I think the dynamic of the Jets and the Dolphins both being contenders for Deshaun is very interesting. It may push the price higher than either of those two want to pay for Watson but the added value of him not going to a division rival has to be factored into the price that gets paid. Now if one or both of the Jets and Dolphins are not as keen on Watson as people think, then the Texans will have to settle for less than they hope for.
agreed - im not convinced that the Dolphins are ready to give up on Tua....but it's in their best interest to seem into the Watson trade to drive the price up for the Jets....

JD has been very good at trades so far....this will be a very big test. 

Gotta have some action for the SB and so the call for me is:

Chiefs -3 for $100 which would win $83
Over 55 for $100 which would win $87

I might be just throwing away $200 but F it, no way on gods green earth can I or any Jet fan for that for that matter root for Brady and want him too do well. I mean ####, it's bad enough that we have to watch his pansy ### for the zillionth time in the SB. Not a chance in hell could I root for him to win it again even if means winning a little cashish. I'd rather lose 100-200 than root for Brady ..F him!....lol

So go Chiefs and hopefully Mahomes has a great day and Brady goes home crying...fingers crossed...😎

Gotta have some action for the SB and so the call for me is:

Chiefs -3 for $100 which would win $83
Over 55 for $100 which would win $87

I might be just throwing away $200 but F it, no way on gods green earth can I or any Jet fan for that for that matter root for Brady and want him too do well. I mean ####, it's bad enough that we have to watch his pansy ### for the zillionth time in the SB. Not a chance in hell could I root for him to win it again even if means winning a little cashish. I'd rather lose 100-200 than root for Brady ..F him!....lol

So go Chiefs and hopefully Mahomes has a great day and Brady goes home crying...fingers crossed...😎
I’m rooting for the Chiefs, but I can’t find it in me to muster up hate for Brady anymore, now that he’s not a Pat.

In some ways I guess I feel a bit blessed to get to watch him and just appreaciate him. I rooted for him to get to the SuperBowl at least, just for the story. If he wins I’ll appreciate the story and move on.

I’m rooting for the Chiefs, but I can’t find it in me to muster up hate for Brady anymore, now that he’s not a Pat.

In some ways I guess I feel a bit blessed to get to watch him and just appreaciate him. I rooted for him to get to the SuperBowl at least, just for the story. If he wins I’ll appreciate the story and move on.
I dunno Doc...I hear what your saying and I've tried to root for him...heck I even traded for him late this past season in my big $$ league and I still found myself not wanting to start him or root for him.

I know it's unreasonable of me and I admit to being jaded from all those losses our Jets have suffered due to mostly him when we've played the Patriots but something about him always rubs me the wrong way. He's always whining, complaining and #####ing to the refs whenever he gets breathed on. When he loses, he invariably doesn't shake the opposing QB's hands unless it's a Brees, Mahomes type as indicated by what he did to Goff and I forget who else he did it too this year. 

I find him extremely unlikable and simply can't root for him to do well...today is no different!. Yes it's likely going to cost me this hatred for him but F it...at least I'm being true to myself and my integrity is still intact tho my wallet might be $200 lighter as well...lol

Another kick in the gut to see Todd Bowles' defense dominating last night and greatly helping Brady on the other side of the ball. Still, good for him - a decent guy who is clearly a quality DC, just not head coach material.

Another kick in the gut to see Todd Bowles' defense dominating last night and greatly helping Brady on the other side of the ball. Still, good for him - a decent guy who is clearly a quality DC, just not head coach material.
To be fair, the fact that KC was missing 3 of their top OTs had more to do with Tampa Bay's success than Bowles - but agree generally, he is a good DC and a good man - was just overwhelmed as a HC.

To be fair, the fact that KC was missing 3 of their top OTs had more to do with Tampa Bay's success than Bowles - but agree generally, he is a good DC and a good man - was just overwhelmed as a HC.
Fair point - Mahomes was running for his life last night, but the D stepped up through much of the second half of the season and the playoffs.

Yeah, I dont think anyone would argue that Bowles wasn't a great DC. He just lacks whatever else you need to be a head coach.  Obviously a very bright guy that knows how to gameplan. I just dont think he's the kind of guy that can lead a franchise. 

If someone else hires him as their HC after next season, I think they'll probably come to the same conclusion. It will be interesting to see if he gets a shot. I imagine Leftwich will probably be in the mix next year as well.

I hold no ill will against Bowles...he was given a fair chance and just didnt produce.

You never know...maybe he learned from his mistakes in NY....something Gase never had a chance to do....if he's smart he should stay put and take over when Arians retires...its a perfect set up for him and would give him a much better chance to make his last chance work...

With the Super Bowl over the offseason is going to start moving soon....few thoughts

Wentz seems like the next domino to fall....looks like Car, WFT, Indy, Chicago are all in on a new QB....other teams like Pitt, SF, NE, Den could be looking as well..... this bodes well for getting max compensation for Sam or the #2 pick....there just isnt enough talent at QB to go around.....all JD needs to do is find 1 team willing to bite or 2 desperate teams to get into a bidding war....have a feeling any way you cut it the Jets should be adding some much needed picks dealing Sam or the #2.  

As for Watson...Hou has time to play this game for a while....but they need to make a call by draft if he continues to hold firm....could you imagine the disaster if he sits out a year and they recd no picks taking a stance?  Disaster....If Im the Jets Id sit tight and give a deadline right before the draft before moving on.  

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
Yeah, I dont think anyone would argue that Bowles wasn't a great DC. He just lacks whatever else you need to be a head coach.  Obviously a very bright guy that knows how to gameplan. I just dont think he's the kind of guy that can lead a franchise. 

If someone else hires him as their HC after next season, I think they'll probably come to the same conclusion. It will be interesting to see if he gets a shot. I imagine Leftwich will probably be in the mix next year as well.
Leftwich might be good, but it's easy to produce points when you have HOF or Pro bowl talent at 3 WR positions and TE.  3 years ago, Fitzpatrick had 3 or 4 great games with Evans, Godwin, Howard and Brate. Gase also looked like a good oc when his QB was Manning.

With the Super Bowl over the offseason is going to start moving soon....few thoughts

Wentz seems like the next domino to fall....looks like Car, WFT, Indy, Chicago are all in on a new QB....other teams like Pitt, SF, NE, Den could be looking as well..... this bodes well for getting max compensation for Sam or the #2 pick....there just isnt enough talent at QB to go around.....all JD needs to do is find 1 team willing to bite or 2 desperate teams to get into a bidding war....have a feeling any way you cut it the Jets should be adding some much needed picks dealing Sam or the #2.  

As for Watson...Hou has time to play this game for a while....but they need to make a call by draft if he continues to hold firm....could you imagine the disaster if he sits out a year and they recd no picks taking a stance?  Disaster....If Im the Jets Id sit tight and give a deadline right before the draft before moving on.  
Totally agree about Houston. With the way they have run things while Easterby has been there, I could see them not trading Watson before the draft, waiting until opening day, realize that Deshaun is serious about sitting out the whole season, and then trading him for a lost less then they could have. That is what they did with Clowney and why they got so little for him.

Leftwich might be good, but it's easy to produce points when you have HOF or Pro bowl talent at 3 WR positions and TE.  3 years ago, Fitzpatrick had 3 or 4 great games with Evans, Godwin, Howard and Brate. Gase also looked like a good oc when his QB was Manning.

Oh, 100%.  I'm sure the failure of Gase will give teams some additional pause in situations like this.

But Leftwich was generally considered a somewhat rising star prior to this year. So I think he's going to get a hard look (assuming next season goes well). And of course, after this last cycle, there will be even more pressure for the teams to strongly consider black candidates.  So at the very least, he's likely to get a LOT of interviews.

And based on what I've seen, Byron isn't a total weirdo like Gase. So he's got that going for him. Love how he just laughed it off last night when some dingbat reporter asked him a long rambling question about how he "shut down Patrick Mahomes".

Reporter didn't realize that TB had two black coordinators and that he wasn't talking to the right one.....classic.

Reporter didn't realize that TB had two black coordinators and that he wasn't talking to the right one.....classic.
Saw that on Twitter. Stuff like that makes me want to crawl out of my (admittedly white) skin. Good gravy, you think you'd look at a picture or something beforehand. Or that you wouldn't be the one asking the question if you didn't know. Ay de mi.

Fitz's big weapon in TB was DeSean Jackson, actually. He was the hook up for the few games that Fitz went nuts during. Godwin was the third receiver under Koetter, and didn't see the field but for 11 personnel.

But Godwin is awesome besides the playoff drops against WAS this year and Jackson is notoriously streaky and lethal, so...your point is taken.

Saw that on Twitter. Stuff like that makes me want to crawl out of my (admittedly white) skin. Good gravy, you think you'd look at a picture or something beforehand. Or that you wouldn't be the one asking the question if you didn't know. Ay de mi.

The big events tend to bring out the less knowledgeable reporters and non-dedicated outlets.  (watch some of the post-game NCAA tournament press conferences some time. So many absurdly obscure websites and reporters who clearly have NO idea what they just watched)  but yeah....that's SO bad.

Well as I suspected would happen, my unreasonable hatred for Brady cost me $200. One of the worst SB's I've ever seen ever as it ranks up there with the Seattle/Denver debacle and the Pats/Rams bore fest as well just a few years ago.

No question KC missing those O-lineman was huge and so Bowles took advantage of it as Bucs D dominated. Whatever kind of glad the season is over now so that we here in Jet land can get down to the business of making this team of ours at least competitive next year. Forget playoffs or anything like that, all I'm asking from Joe is to have a really good draft, plug some holes in UFA and lets at least get this choo choo train of ours at least on track.

For some bizarre reason I'm oddly optimistic that this off season is going to be fruitful. Probably because I firmly believe we have the right guy doing the shopping...in Joe I trust!!...😎

Maximus* said:
Well as I suspected would happen, my unreasonable hatred for Brady cost me $200. One of the worst SB's I've ever seen ever as it ranks up there with the Seattle/Denver debacle and the Pats/Rams bore fest as well just a few years ago.

No question KC missing those O-lineman was huge and so Bowles took advantage of it as Bucs D dominated. Whatever kind of glad the season is over now so that we here in Jet land can get down to the business of making this team of ours at least competitive next year. Forget playoffs or anything like that, all I'm asking from Joe is to have a really good draft, plug some holes in UFA and lets at least get this choo choo train of ours at least on track.

For some bizarre reason I'm oddly optimistic that this off season is going to be fruitful. Probably because I firmly believe we have the right guy doing the shopping...in Joe I trust!!...😎
Its not impossible to have a quick turnaround....Bowles won 10 games and should have made the playoffs in his 1st season....Parcells should have made the playoffs if not for being stubborn vs Detroit after a historically awful season. 

I know we say this all the time but the next 2 offseasons are huge to shape this team for the next decade.   

I know its sports talk blabber but Boomer/Gio this am discussing possibility of Russell Wilson to the Jets....zero percent that happens but just for fun could you imagine trading them their own picks for Jamal back plus the #2 overall for Russell Wilson....Seattle fans would probably go crazy....but that in effect is what Houston would do if trading Watson to the Dolphins....the optics are awful even if it is a good deal on paper.  

Early feeling on how this shakes out - I have a feeling Houston sits tight and doesnt trade Watson....Jets deal Darnold for a 2d rd pick and drafts Zach Wilson at #2 overall.  Even if Watson becomes available I just dont think it's in JD's DNA to deal all those picks....unless its a steal I think hed rather use the picks to build the overall team....

Maximus* said:

yeah hindisight rose up real fast watching that Super Bowl :(

-QG

OK I've done the research, seen the videos, listened to the "experts and I've come to the conclusion we should and will take Wilson at 2. I'm not saying I wouldn't trade down but I don't want to trade down that far into the 8-9 range some have mentioned . 6 is about as far as I'd want to go and even than, unless we were getting such a sweetheart deal, I don't see how Douglas goes down anywhere, past there.

I just have a feeling the new coaching staff is going to want to bring in a new QB rather than try to fix an existing one hence Wilson. Now what we really should do and I've mentioned this a bunch of times, is talk about Sewell so much that the Bengals who desperately need Sewell and most definitely want him too protect Burrow who might be the most talented QB they've ever had, get antsy and think Douglas is going to take Sewell and than they offer a ton too us in order to move down.

Maybe Douglas can get the Bengals to trade up to 2 in return for their 5 plus we get their 2nd round 38th...3rd round 69th overall and next years #1.We might have too add a bit more to the deal but if Douglas can do that considering the Dolphins at 3 won't be taking a QB, depending upon who the Falcons took at 4(Fields or Wilson), we could still get Wilson and/or Fields at 5 who I wouldn't mind taking at 5 if Wilson was taken by Atlanta.

Bottom line...Douglas is in a great spot and if he plays his cards right, the Jets could get a windfall by trading down and still get Wilson. How good would that be? 

Funny and I've said this before as well quite a bit, I'm actually very confident we are going to do the right thing no matter what we do and that's because Joe Douglas is making the decisions. Feels good to have someone competent in charge.

In Joe I Trust!!....😎

If JD truly feels Zach is the clear pick then I dont think he messes around and trades down....would love the Cincy deal above but what if Miami trades down to a desperate Car team and they take Wilson....it only works if he thinks Fields and Zach are evenly rated which I dont think will happen.....

Report today that Crowder may be a cap casualty....he has been the top offensive player last 2 yrs but his cap number is pretty high....they could theoretically cut Crowder and upgrade to JuJu for only an extra $5M yr which is enticing....but  like some continuity...maybe Crowder signs an extension to get that number down and they keep him then add an outside WR like Corey Davis who will be much cheaper than the other top guys....Id be ok with a trio of Davis, Mims, Crowder and a draft pick WR in 1st 3 rds....

If JD truly feels Zach is the clear pick then I dont think he messes around and trades down....would love the Cincy deal above but what if Miami trades down to a desperate Car team and they take Wilson....it only works if he thinks Fields and Zach are evenly rated which I dont think will happen.....

Report today that Crowder may be a cap casualty....he has been the top offensive player last 2 yrs but his cap number is pretty high....they could theoretically cut Crowder and upgrade to JuJu for only an extra $5M yr which is enticing....but  like some continuity...maybe Crowder signs an extension to get that number down and they keep him then add an outside WR like Corey Davis who will be much cheaper than the other top guys....Id be ok with a trio of Davis, Mims, Crowder and a draft pick WR in 1st 3 rds....
I think you're right about Wilson and trading down. Douglas is not going to do that because both quarterbacks won't have the same grade. Just doesn't happen that way at that position. It's too important a pick, too important a position to play the either/or game with guys. If Douglas trades down, it's because he's not picking a quarterback.

As for the boldface font, this is quite possible, but your first scenario where they sign Schuster is more likely, I think. They're likely not going to pay Davis and Crowder both. Crowder's only one million dollars in dead cap money vs. 11.5 million dollars if he remains on the roster. He's likely gone unless he signs a real team-friendly extension, which is always possible. Flexibility is the name of the game here, one thinks, as the Davises and Schusters of the world are very good but not quite top-flight and free agency will inflate their market value rather than temper it. Interesting to see how it plays out.

I like Corey Davis as a receiver, though the knock on him is that he doesn't separate from press coverage the best and he is prone to miss time. I think Schuster is a slot guy only -- during the year without AB he didn't win one-on-one on the outside. I'd rather not sign him and go for a cheaper guy out of the slot. You kind of know what you have with Crowder, but his injury history is spotty at best. Godwin is too expensive, probably best in the slot, and not a 1A. Evans deflects a lot of pressure off of him. Anyway, it'll be interesting for sure. Given my analysis and lukewarm support of the receivers, I'd like to see them draft one and have him under contract control for a bit. But that's me. We'll see what they do.

rockaction said:
I think you're right about Wilson and trading down. Douglas is not going to do that because both quarterbacks won't have the same grade. Just doesn't happen that way at that position. It's too important a pick, too important a position to play the either/or game with guys. If Douglas trades down, it's because he's not picking a quarterback.

As for the boldface font, this is quite possible, but your first scenario where they sign Schuster is more likely, I think. They're likely not going to pay Davis and Crowder both. Crowder's only one million dollars in dead cap money vs. 11.5 million dollars if he remains on the roster. He's likely gone unless he signs a real team-friendly extension, which is always possible. Flexibility is the name of the game here, one thinks, as the Davises and Schusters of the world are very good but not quite top-flight and free agency will inflate their market value rather than temper it. Interesting to see how it plays out.

I like Corey Davis as a receiver, though the knock on him is that he doesn't separate from press coverage the best and he is prone to miss time. I think Schuster is a slot guy only -- during the year without AB he didn't win one-on-one on the outside. I'd rather not sign him and go for a cheaper guy out of the slot. You kind of know what you have with Crowder, but his injury history is spotty at best. Godwin is too expensive, probably best in the slot, and not a 1A. Evans deflects a lot of pressure off of him. Anyway, it'll be interesting for sure. Given my analysis and lukewarm support of the receivers, I'd like to see them draft one and have him under contract control for a bit. But that's me. We'll see what they do.
the WR in FA will be interesting....Im focusing in on Davis because I think a lot of the FA WRs will either sign, be franchised or command a ton of money - I think ARob and Godwin will be kept....JD will spend more this yr but not crazy premium position spending except maybe on the OL,,,,,I can see them looking at mid range WRs like Davis and Fuller who have enough warts to keep them from getting crazy money in this depressed off season....I think they will either rework Crowder or cut him and get JuJu....either way should be a big upgrade at WRs especially with a full offeason of a healthy Mims.  

the WR in FA will be interesting....Im focusing in on Davis because I think a lot of the FA WRs will either sign, be franchised or command a ton of money - I think ARob and Godwin will be kept....JD will spend more this yr but not crazy premium position spending except maybe on the OL,,,,,I can see them looking at mid range WRs like Davis and Fuller who have enough warts to keep them from getting crazy money in this depressed off season....I think they will either rework Crowder or cut him and get JuJu....either way should be a big upgrade at WRs especially with a full offeason of a healthy Mims.  
I totally agree with you about the market and who they'll likely sign.

But oh boy. Here I go again with the Mims thing. Mims had one of the worst catch rates in football, and even when subtracting out the quarterback, he was pretty bad. I think we might be in for a rude awakening about his talent unless he comes in from the off-season and gets off press and catches some passes. Because the advanced stats on him are inauspicious and I'm hesitant to anoint him as a bona fide WR2 yet.

I totally agree with you about the market and who they'll likely sign.

But oh boy. Here I go again with the Mims thing. Mims had one of the worst catch rates in football, and even when subtracting out the quarterback, he was pretty bad. I think we might be in for a rude awakening about his talent unless he comes in from the off-season and gets off press and catches some passes. Because the advanced stats on him are inauspicious and I'm hesitant to anoint him as a bona fide WR2 yet.
not unfair to criticize Mims - he has a lot to prove...but he showed me enough with essentially zero off season, injured most of year and awful coaching/QB play that he could develop into a #2....

"Titans general manager Jon Robison indicated Jonnu Smith and Corey Davis might sign elsewhere this offseason."

Id love the grab both of these guys.....shouldnt be monster contracts (prob $9M yr for Jonnu and $11M yr for Davis) - both would be huge upgrades.....

Ive already posted on Davis but Jonnu could be a Kittles like contributor in that Lafleur SF O....Im not giving up on Herndon but if they could get Jonnu for a reasonable deal Id be all over that.....good duo to add to the O.  

"Titans general manager Jon Robison indicated Jonnu Smith and Corey Davis might sign elsewhere this offseason."

Id love the grab both of these guys.....shouldnt be monster contracts (prob $9M yr for Jonnu and $11M yr for Davis) - both would be huge upgrades.....

Ive already posted on Davis but Jonnu could be a Kittles like contributor in that Lafleur SF O....Im not giving up on Herndon but if they could get Jonnu for a reasonable deal Id be all over that.....good duo to add to the O.  
Jonnu is a fantastic tight end, criminally underutilized in Tennessee. Would be a great target for the Jets.

I'm not a fan of Davis - I'd much rather they use the money on Allen Robinson or JJSS. Smith is interesting though.

Users who are viewing this thread