What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (12 Viewers)

definitely - 3rd and 4th rds are not looking good so far - thats 5 players in the mid rounds that are not looking like starters or major contributors so far.....really hope the new staff coaches them up...those are the ones you need to hit on to be at least rotational starters.  
Not having a real camp/exhibition schedule plus injuries makes me want to give them a bit of a pass, but yeah, it would be nice if they showed something. I wouldn't be surprised to see a nice improvement from Davis this year. The rest are definitely questionable.

I'd like to see them draft a good long term prospect, but TE is notoriously difficult for rookies to learn and can be incredibly valuable to a young QB.  Ertz doesn't fit into the long term plan on his own, but he does when you consider the main goal right now should be to surround Wilson/whoever with good weapons.  Some vet leadership wouldn't be bad either and the Jets can afford to take on his contract.

All of that said, I didn't realize they had signed Kroft.  He's a good and underrated player and can fit that role fine for now.  They still need a long term prospect because Herndon was embarrassingly bad last year.  Herndon's performance last year had very little to do with Gase IMO.  He dropped a lot of passes and put in noticeably very little effort on many plays.  I would have cut him.

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline passes along that the New York Jets could target a running back with pick No. 23 or pick No. 34.

The Jets are already locked in to take a quarterback -- likely BYU's Zach Wilson -- with the second overall pick. They may be sniffing around running back thereafter. Part of the impetus on this one is that, according to Pauline, New York feels there is a major drop-off in talent after Najee Harris, Travis Etienne and Javonte Williams. All three backs have a high probability of still being on the board when the Jets make the 23rd pick. A cherry on top of this sundae would be that the Steelers -- who have long been linked with Harris -- own the 24th pick and would be undercut if the Jets move in the direction of running back.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Apr 27, 2021, 1:20 PM ET

@rockaction Did you see today's PFF Mock for the Jets?

2 Wilson

23 Farley

34 Samuel

66 Weaver

86 Etienne

I'll stop there. I will give them credit for filling a niche market on player grading, but I don't think they are very good at it. These guys are bandits. Now this mock draft, Etienne at 86? Lol. Bottom of the third. If he's available at 86, then we need to build him a wheelchair for his sudden bout of Polio.  Back to back CBs? Later they have us taking a second RB, too. Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:
@rockaction Did you see today's PFF Mock for the Jets?

2 Wilson

23 Farley

34 Samuel

66 Weaver

86 Etienne

I'll stop there. I will give them credit for filling a niche market on player grading, but I don't think they are very good at it. These guys are bandits. Now this mock draft, Etienne at 86? Lol. Bottom of the third. If he's available at 86, then we need to build him a wheelchair for his sudden bout of Polio.  Back to back CBs? Later they have us taking a second RB, too. Jesus.
Those were "senior analysts." I will not have their good name besmirched.

one day away - lot of banter re JD trading up...may just be filler until the draft but looking at the chart to get an idea on how high he could trade up 

4th rder - 23 to 20

3rd rder- 23 to 16

2d rder - 23 to 9

Id be ok with dealing away one of the 4ths.....maybe even a 3rd but Id rather not deal the 2d unless Pitts, Chase or Sewell falls.  Doubtful.....I think most realistic is a slight jump to land one of the OL.  JD loves drafts picks and I cant see him giving up much...but on other hand they have a ton and giving up a 4th is not a big deal....dont be an Idzik and hoard.  

one day away - lot of banter re JD trading up...may just be filler until the draft but looking at the chart to get an idea on how high he could trade up 

4th rder - 23 to 20

3rd rder- 23 to 16

2d rder - 23 to 9

Id be ok with dealing away one of the 4ths.....maybe even a 3rd but Id rather not deal the 2d unless Pitts, Chase or Sewell falls.  Doubtful.....I think most realistic is a slight jump to land one of the OL.  JD loves drafts picks and I cant see him giving up much...but on other hand they have a ton and giving up a 4th is not a big deal....dont be an Idzik and hoard.  
Yes, I'd be ok with the move to 20 if an OL is falling - but otherwise I want them to keep as many picks as they can because they need bodies on the roster. 

Kiddnets said:

4th rder - 23 to 20

3rd rder- 23 to 16

2d rder - 23 to 9

Is that the first third rounder? What about the second third rounder?

I'm ok with giving up a 4th or even that second third rounder. I wouldn't be thrilled about giving up the early third or second rounder.

However, if Pitts was available in the 7ish range, I might be willing to give up one of next year's first round picks. What a weapon that guy would be for a young QB.

Is that the first third rounder? What about the second third rounder?

I'm ok with giving up a 4th or even that second third rounder. I wouldn't be thrilled about giving up the early third or second rounder.

However, if Pitts was available in the 7ish range, I might be willing to give up one of next year's first round picks. What a weapon that guy would be for a young QB.
That was based on the 1st 3rd rder....2d 3rd rder would get to 17th pick which is about the same and they keep the higher 3rd.  

I dont see JD trading a 1st next year but I have read he may be open to dealing the extra 2d next year....Id be on board with the 2d this yr and next if it meant one of the big 3...would get them up to the Lions pick - you are talking 2 top 10 blue chip studs and they still would have 2 3rds and 2 1sts and a 2d next yr - likely a pipe dream.....but I could see JD flipping a 3rd or 4th to lock in the player they want and move up a few spots

Dr. Octopus said:
Yes, I'd be ok with the move to 20 if an OL is falling - but otherwise I want them to keep as many picks as they can because they need bodies on the roster. 
For the Etienne fans, there has been a recent sudden increase in mock drafts with Etienne as our #23 pick. Smokescreen?

Hey Dr. Octopus, how does it feel to be just a trendsetter? As I scanned the Shark Pool, almost every team's forum has an attempt at a funny description. I hope you get some licensing royalties or something.

For the Etienne fans, there has been a recent sudden increase in mock drafts with Etienne as our #23 pick. Smokescreen?

Hey Dr. Octopus, how does it feel to be just a trendsetter? As I scanned the Shark Pool, almost every team's forum has an attempt at a funny description. I hope you get some licensing royalties or something.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 
Sometimes I find it annoying. I've been running my main league for 25 years and I've come up with tons of new rules and variations to keep things fresh over the years. Quite a few things that I don't see in any other leagues.  Three guys in my league are in another league and they copy every single rule. They say it's the best league they have ever been in. 

Part of me sees the flattery in it, but a bigger part of me finds it annoying that they use my intellectual property. I jest a bit about the IP, but I come up with some very creative wrinkles and then it's like China coming along and ripping off my ideas. I digress though.

I can't wait for tonight. It's going to be a wild ride. So many options.

Part of me sees the flattery in it, but a bigger part of me finds it annoying that they use my intellectual property. I jest a bit about the IP, but I come up with some very creative wrinkles and then it's like China coming along and ripping off my ideas. I digress though.
Hi guys! Similar to Todd from Utah joining us, I just flew in, short arms and all!

Can't wait for the draft. If they take Etienne at 23, I might poop something, though this looks more and more to be the case since the Jets can't go into the season with Ty Johnson, Josh Adams, and La'Mical Perine as their only backs. Considering the running back class this year is really thin and by all accounts not good, they might indeed go with Etienne at 23 before Pittsburgh and Buffalo each makes its pick. We also have 34 so if Pittsburgh takes Harris, the only thing that would keep Etienne from us is Buffalo at 31. Then again, maybe they'll sign four UDFAs and let them duke it out and that'll all be moot. But it would be so Jets to take a RB in the first, wouldn't it?

As for the quoted, RAGE, I'd be totally on board with you, but ideas aren't copyrightable. The actual expressive text of your rules is, though. If, say, you have a certain point designation in the event that x occurs, that's fair game to steal and use. But if you write into the rules "Leon and the Maulers get two points for every snerfleflagen that exists," that actual expression is copyrightable, and considering "Leon, Maulers, and snerfleflagen" isn't that common of a word usage together, you'd have a good case if you saw it popping up elsewhere in other games. 

How's that for a nitpick? I took four IP classes in law school, including copyright, patent, IP/statutory, and trademark. Wanna resume?

I never finished Trademark. She had an attendance policy and I wouldn't abide it. Wound up showing up one day full of whiskey from a Dillinger Four show and she started hassling me about attendance so I withdrew. She was a horrible professor who couldn't distinguish between "there" and "their." She bungled that numerous times on the white board. She's a law professor. Not a very literate one. 

Sighs.  

I think he followed Sam to the Panthers.
I see him talking football on the Rangers board on Hockeysfuture.

Not that he really had a choice, but he's past the keep Darnold and draft Sewell stance. He's onboard with the Wilson pick now.  I haven't read that thread lately, but I would imagine that he will wants Etienne at 23.

Hi guys! Similar to Todd from Utah joining us, I just flew in, short arms and all!

Can't wait for the draft. If they take Etienne at 23, I might poop something, though this looks more and more to be the case since the Jets can't go into the season with Ty Johnson, Josh Adams, and La'Mical Perine as their only backs. Considering the running back class this year is really thin and by all accounts not good, they might indeed go with Etienne at 23 before Pittsburgh and Buffalo each makes its pick. We also have 34 so if Pittsburgh takes Harris, the only thing that would keep Etienne from us is Buffalo at 31. Then again, maybe they'll sign four UDFAs and let them duke it out and that'll all be moot. But it would be so Jets to take a RB in the first, wouldn't it?

As for the quoted, RAGE, I'd be totally on board with you, but ideas aren't copyrightable. The actual expressive text of your rules is, though. If, say, you have a certain point designation in the event that x occurs, that's fair game to steal and use. But if you write into the rules "Leon and the Maulers get two points for every snerfleflagen that exists," that actual expression is copyrightable, and considering "Leon, Maulers, and snerfleflagen" isn't that common of a word usage together, you'd have a good case if you saw it popping up elsewhere in other games. 

How's that for a nitpick? I took four IP classes in law school, including copyright, patent, IP/statutory, and trademark. Wanna resume?

I never finished Trademark. She had an attendance policy and I wouldn't abide it. Wound up showing up one day full of whiskey from a Dillinger Four show and she started hassling me about attendance so I withdrew. She was a horrible professor who couldn't distinguish between "there" and "their." She bungled that numerous times on the white board. She's a law professor. Not a very literate one. 

Sighs.  
Some of the later RBs are good, but they're just not 3-down guys. One of those guys is whom they will target.

Thanks for the offer, but I won't be suing anyone any time soon. I just get annoyed that they wait until I roll out the rules before they make their own rules changes. The funny thing is that one of the guys gives me crap every year about a proposed rule. He might fight me on it, try to persuade others from voting for it, and then a year later will say that it was a great new rule.

Not using "There" and "their" correctly drives me nuts, too.

If you see Rockaction Todd, say hello for me. He must be studying PFF's draft rankings now.

If you see Rockaction Todd, say hello for me. He must be studying PFF's draft rankings now.
Diligently. They've recently mocked Pitts to the Jets at seven after trading their 23 and 34 to move up. He was apoplectic at the mere thought of it. Said something about Wile E. Coyote and poisoned birdseed while looking right at me. I didn't like that look.

Plus, he knows you can't cross the cartoons. Worse than the final scene in Ghostbusters when that happens. Roger Rabbit got an exemption for that, but I really think Jessica had a lot to do with it. But normally if you cross 'em, Sam Darnold appears as your team's quarterback.

Sometimes I find it annoying. I've been running my main league for 25 years and I've come up with tons of new rules and variations to keep things fresh over the years. Quite a few things that I don't see in any other leagues.  Three guys in my league are in another league and they copy every single rule. They say it's the best league they have ever been in. 

I can't wait for tonight. It's going to be a wild ride. So many options.
Tell em you're instituting a 2-punter rule then delay the draft to be after their other ones :)

Good luck Jets peeps - please take whatever guy the Steelers want with pick #23.  Thank you.

-QG

Tell em you're instituting a 2-punter rule then delay the draft to be after their other ones :)

Good luck Jets peeps - please take whatever guy the Steelers want with pick #23.  Thank you.

-QG
Good luck getting Sewell if that's who you still want.

Good luck getting Sewell if that's who you still want.
Thanks - ironically enough there are enough normally 1st-round OL guys (and we also got rid of the worst O-line coach in the league and replaced him with our excellent one who left when Zac came in) so after all that I'm on the Chase train :lmao:

But I suspect we will have our choice between the 2 of them.  (And if they surprise me and take Sewell after all that is totally fine - we're getting an excellent player either way).

:)

-QG

Thanks - ironically enough there are enough normally 1st-round OL guys (and we also got rid of the worst O-line coach in the league and replaced him with our excellent one who left when Zac came in) so after all that I'm on the Chase train :lmao:

But I suspect we will have our choice between the 2 of them.  (And if they surprise me and take Sewell after all that is totally fine - we're getting an excellent player either way).

-QG
I'm actually rooting for you guys to take Chase

Chase

QuizGuy66 said:

-QG
Congrats

Users who are viewing this thread