What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (10 Viewers)

He's talking about Zach Wilson's mom, who gained (I think) tens of thousands of Instagram followers over the weekend. Indeed, type Zach Wilson into Google and you get "Zach Wilson mom" as a search term right away. 

One problem with Blackbear's thesis: I don't think Wilson is a strict Mormon. Like, at all. He doesn't consider himself "an active member of the church." His words. His mother has said that they "hated BYU" before he went there. I think he might have even had difficulty adjusting to the Mormon rules and ways of being there. There's no mission upcoming, nor has he been on one. All he had to do was show up and ball. Hopefully people do indeed relax about his mother. That's an uncomfortable thing, I would suppose. 
I didn’t know about it until some nyc radio guy made headlines this AM. 

Thankfully I don’t know what you’re talking about and hopefully it stays that way.
Stupid criminal Craig Carton was interviewing Wilson and asked about his "hot" mom. It was creepy.

Just wait until the Daily News and others start asking him about his Pro-Trump and Pro-James Woods tweets. I already saw some tweets and cancel culture stuff the night we drafted him.  Not to get into politics here, but you know how the media is in NY. It's going to be an issue at some point. Imagine if Manish still had his job. 

Just let the kid play. Hopefully Wilson is told to downplay his social media presence when it comes to politics. Everything in NY becomes a lightning rod.

Stupid criminal Craig Carton was interviewing Wilson and asked about his "hot" mom. It was creepy.

Just wait until the Daily News and others start asking him about his Pro-Trump and Pro-James Woods tweets. I already saw some tweets and cancel culture stuff the night we drafted him.  Not to get into politics here, but you know how the media is in NY. It's going to be an issue at some point. Imagine if Manish still had his job. 

Just let the kid play. Hopefully Wilson is told to downplay his social media presence when it comes to politics. Everything in NY becomes a lightning rod.
Wow. I’m hoping that the only stories are about the team. We can finally feel a little good about things.

You are right. They should lay down. 

You are right. They should lay down. 
It's NY. They won't. The media are jackals. They know that even bad publicity is good publicity, especially nationally. It ups their profile. Manish made a living from that. 

Plus, the more negative they get, they know it tweaks the fans. More clicks and more responses.  Cimini is a master of this. These are the print and website guys. The radio guys are in another category.

It's NY. They won't. The media are jackals. They know that even bad publicity is good publicity, especially nationally. It ups their profile. Manish made a living from that. 

Plus, the more negative they get, they know it tweaks the fans. More clicks and more responses.  Cimini is a master of this. These are the print and website guys. The radio guys are in another category.
Boston media are at least equally terrible. They will open tomorrow saying why didn’t Pats trade up to get a better QB then Mac Jones. 

The weeks leading up to this was all about Bill won’t trade up to get a QB. He will take one of the best D line prospects. Well, he got both. 

Now I will have to listen all week how they didn’t trade up enough to get a better QB. And they should have let Barmore fall.

You think you have donkeys in NYC. You should see these dunks we have. Unsufferable. 

Boston media are at least equally terrible. They will open tomorrow saying why didn’t Pats trade up to get a better QB then Mac Jones. 

The weeks leading up to this was all about Bill won’t trade up to get a QB. He will take one of the best D line prospects. Well, he got both. 

Now I will have to listen all week how they didn’t trade up enough to get a better QB. And they should have let Barmore fall.

You think you have donkeys in NYC. You should see these dunks we have. Unsufferable. 
It's probably bad in most cities.  I live in Houston now and when we lost power due to the cold storm, my only form of entertainment for a few days was an old school radio. The Houston sports station has national shows at night and they were terrible. One night, it was dedicated to should the Pats bring back Cam Newton.  Just a ton of bad takes and hyperbole.

I rarely ever tune in to WFAN in NY. I just can't stand some of those guys. Even the Boomer and Gio show in the morning is awful. I'll watch it on tv once in a while and it's like 10% sports and 90% nonsense. At least that 10% isn't so bad.

Oh yeah, you're going to have a ton of hot takes tomorrow. I think you guys were fortunate to get Jones without having to trade up. I thought you guys might get Fields. That was a terrifying thought since we (Jets) would always be attached to the Wilson vs Fields debate. Imagine if he went to NE and was lights out? It would be really ugly in NY. At least, there was never a question about going after Jones. so even if he turns out ok, it shouldn't be questioned much.

It's probably bad in most cities.  I live in Houston now and when we lost power due to the cold storm, my only form of entertainment for a few days was an old school radio. The Houston sports station has national shows at night and they were terrible. One night, it was dedicated to should the Pats bring back Cam Newton.  Just a ton of bad takes and hyperbole.

I rarely ever tune in to WFAN in NY. I just can't stand some of those guys. Even the Boomer and Gio show in the morning is awful. I'll watch it on tv once in a while and it's like 10% sports and 90% nonsense. At least that 10% isn't so bad.

Oh yeah, you're going to have a ton of hot takes tomorrow. I think you guys were fortunate to get Jones without having to trade up. I thought you guys might get Fields. That was a terrifying thought since we (Jets) would always be attached to the Wilson vs Fields debate. Imagine if he went to NE and was lights out? It would be really ugly in NY. At least, there was never a question about going after Jones. so even if he turns out ok, it shouldn't be questioned much.
For Boston media. It has degraded. Listening to 98.5 featured on sportsNBC is terrible. Boston needs better than this. It is ok in the morning and progressively gets worse. Mazz, for example, told us Sox were done after first weekend sweep by Baltimore. 🙂 Quickly follows it up a week later saying this is refreshing season since they show him they are contending. 👀🙂

Felger goes on and on with none sense. 

98.5 guys are actually very dumb. IMHO

We have transplant Zolak that is evidently coked up everyday because he never did #### as a QB. His cohost is a tub of butter. 

Felger is a GreenBay guy that searches each day to be controversial. Mazz is a puppet for him. 

Two shows prime time to do nothing but aggravate people. Call into their show and you never get to ask a legit question. 

Can’t wait for tomorrow when they #### on Patriots picks again. 

This is the worst sense of click bait, this 98.5. Their existince is to serve piss off New England fans. I bet not one of those yards played. 

The NY media will do whatever they can to make Wilson's life miserable.  They will go after his mom. They will go after his girlfriend{s).  They will go after his faith.  They will go after his politics.  It's a big part of why it's so hard to develop a young QB in NY. 

The NY media will do whatever they can to make Wilson's life miserable.  They will go after his mom. They will go after his girlfriend{s).  They will go after his faith.  They will go after his politics.  It's a big part of why it's so hard to develop a young QB in NY. 
Understand it is dumb

You Are drafting a child from a Mormon family where he went to BYU and she has six children... and a dumbly dum mass radio jock asks about how cute his mom is. 

Wow. No class at all. 

Ok - hopefully we can drop that conversation and concentrate on football. Craig Carton is an idiot criminal who probably stole money from listeners of the WFAN - the fact they hired him back makes me glad I don't have to drive to work anymore and listen to that garbage station anymore.

Not to sound like an old man yelling at clouds but I really hate the transformation of sports/media....

The draft was brutal this year - I could barely hear the announcers over the terrible music blasting and people screaming from the stage...IVe been to the draft...you are not there for the "show" - just the picks....they really hurt the product for those of us watching at home to entertain the few people at the draft...I miss the old Felt forum/radio city days...darn Dolan for screwing that up. 

The NY news media has always been bad - but Im really bummed at how WFAN has transformed.  I never had an issue with the non-sports Stern esque stuff on the morning show with Imus, then Boomer/Carton - but it was followed by greats sports talk with Joe/Evan and Mike/Dog then Mike....sure they would delve a bit into other stuff but it was all sports talk.....now its morning zoo stuff most of the day...only pure sports show is moose/maggie and they are tough to listen to....I look forward to Evan on Saturdays as it all sports - he had Joe B on and it was great.  I now go to Sirius and podcasts as I had to listen about Zach Wilson's mom for way too long on Friday afternoon....brutal.  

I think the NFL/media thinks the fans are morons and need to be spoon fed...its like how at a Jets game there can never be a quiet moment to digest the game - always music blasting or some stupid stunt....

Man am I old!   

Back to football 

I am still giddy - what a great draft!  JD just laid down the foundation for a new offense that could actually compete in the NFL....I think he landed 4 players who will all contribute and be starters by the end of the season....with over $80M to spend and 7 picks in the 1st 4 rds next year they are set up for a nice run!  

I think the NFL/media thinks the fans are morons and need to be spoon fed...its like how at a Jets game there can never be a quiet moment to digest the game - always music blasting or some stupid stunt....

Man am I old!   
It's not being old, it's both the dumbing down of the public and the expectations by our financial and provider "betters" that we're dumbed down and willing to put up with all their attendant synergistic bull####, and that we, in some cases, want it. And judging by a lot of developments over about ten years, I'd say you indeed cannot go broke underestimating the stupidity of the American public, especially from a supplier standpoint. 

That that guy Carlton got hired back is stunning and not stunning to me. Isn't he the fraudulent ticket guy that got busted? They thought that he was so important to your work or drive time that they hired his ### back because he didn't necessarily rip you off. He's a felon, sitting in the catbird seat. That's sickening, and says a lot about what our suppliers of entertainment think about us. 

I'm watching an interview with the BYU coach on the NFL Network.

He said that he loved the Jets draft and commitment to help Zach succeed. He said not to be fooled by Zach's baby face. He is a man that knows how to handle himself, connects with his teammates and is a leader. Extreme competitor. Extremely hard worker. He's already reaching out to coaches to work on the offense. Great arm talent, smart, lives for football, and underrated athletically. 

He said the Zach was finally healthy last year and really grasped the system which is similar to what the Jets will run. Called him a perfect fit for the Jets.

Can the Jets just let me fell good for a few days before killing my buzz......

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero

#Jets DL Quinnen Williams broke a small bone in his foot and likely will have surgery that’ll sideline him 8-10 weeks, sources tell me and

@MikeGarafolo

. That means no OTAs or minicamp for Williams, but he should be healthy in time for training camp.

Can the Jets just let me fell good for a few days before killing my buzz......

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero

#Jets DL Quinnen Williams broke a small bone in his foot and likely will have surgery that’ll sideline him 8-10 weeks, sources tell me and

@MikeGarafolo

. That means no OTAs or minicamp for Williams, but he should be healthy in time for training camp.
As long as he is ready for camp, no big deal.

As long as he is ready for camp, no big deal.
should be ready for camp but it opens up things like higher likelihood of re-injury...will he be in as good of shape....these injuries to young players seems to be non-stop..last year was crazy....

should be ready for camp but it opens up things like higher likelihood of re-injury...will he be in as good of shape....these injuries to young players seems to be non-stop..last year was crazy....
I listened to Cimini's latest podcast. They said it was a surgery to his 5th metatarsal, but not a Jones fracture which is one that can be prone to re-injury and complications. The team doesn't seemed concerned and Cimini said that he is expected to be running in early to mid July.    That said, he is a 300 pound guy, so you never know.

The thing I found most interesting in the podcast was Cimini saying that he doesn't think the Jets will make a move for a CB. Apparently Saleh is willing to play his young players. The Jets have some young players from last year and drafted a few in the third day of the draft. Hmm.

Lots of good vibes in Rookies Mini-Camp today. Lots of players raving about Wilson and Saleh.

The players are psyched to work with Saleh. Contrast that to the coach whom we prefer to forget.
There is surely some reason for optimism finally.

Im happy they get the Sam game out of the way in week 1.....he'll be much more integrated with the offense later in the season and Zach was going to be under the microscope anyway week 1 so lets get it out of the way.....

leaked schedule is out - pretty easy to find....

Much easier schedule from last year - Realistically I can see 7 wins which would be decent improvement to build on.  1st 7 games are key - at Car, NE, at Denver, Tenn, at Atlanta in London, Bye, at NE, Cincy - assuming Rodgers doesnt go to Denver - they could easily be 3-4 or 4-3 which would be a refreshing change instead of being out of it by October 15.  Id love them to be in the mix for a wild card shot in December - just to play some meaningful games in the back half of the schedule.....no delusions of making the playoffs.  just show me improvement and some games that count

Should be an ugly game no doubt
Good tone-setter for the rest of the season with big-head Sam, the turnover machine, at QB.

Barring a miraculous brain transplant for Darnold, I'll predict the future for you:

Pre-season: Hope springs eternal. Maybe Sam can be our franchise QB and the playoffs are a possibility.

Game 1: That was ugly, but that pass to Anderson was beautiful. He needs more time in this offense. He has potential though.

Games 2:  Not a great game from Sam, but those 2 INTs were Anderson's fault for quitting on the route. The fumble was the tackle's fault for giving up the sack. That one pass to DJ Moore was sick though. Hell of a throw on the run.

Game 3: Maybe Teddy wasn't so bad after all. At least Teddy wouldn't have taken that sack while we were in fg range.

Game 4: Time to start scouting the 2022 QBs

Game 5: Numbness starting to set in for the next few games.

Game 8: Oh crap, we might win this game. Phew, late INT by Sammy clinches the loss

Games 9-17: scoreboard and draft order watching. Damn, I wish we didn't win those meaningless games. Now we'll have to trade up for a QB. Damn, we should have taken Fields.

Morning everyone. Hope ya'll had a good month without me. Our friend Todd is unfortunately gone for good. (He was "asked" by management never to post again. Yeah....lets go with that.....)

My quick belated thoughts on the draft....

- I've said my piece on Wilson. I hope I'm wrong. The fact that SF took Lance immediately after (to play in essentially the same system) scares me very much, as I thought he was the much better choice (despite similar concerns regarding level of competition)

-Liked the AVT pick, although trading up for a guard obviously isn't sexy. Didn't mind giving up the 3rd rounders (and getting the 4 back in return) to move up. 3rd rounders are no sure thing and they have a ton of capital next year. You see an elite player (in their opinion. I dont know jack about guard play) at a position of need (and importance) you go get him)

- Loving the Moore pick more and more as I ready and watch more about him. Yeah....he's small. But he looks pretty tough and he plays strong on tape. He's explosive and versatile and he produced big time numbers in a tough league.  You hate to spend a premium pick on a position already occupied by one of your best players, but Crowder is expensive and not young, so it makes sense to get a great long term weapon.

- Seems like Carter fits the system and I trust this regime to find productive running backs. Will be interesting to see how his speed/quickness translates to an NFL field. You just never know with college backs. 

Not gonna try and evaluate all the late rounders. They took a bunch of defensive guys that they feel could fit the system and we'll see if any of them stick.

Obviously it all depends on Wilson. If he hits, awesome. If he doesn't, everyone will be fired and rightfully so.

Just took a glance at the overthecap page.....2022 cant come soon enough so I dont have to see this anymore...Gase was putrid but I think Mac did more long term damage to the franchise......

Dead money

Trumaine Johnson$8,000,000

Sam Darnold$5,019,581

Le'Veon Bell$4,000,000

Quincy Enunwa$3,600,000

Henry Anderson$1,333,334

TOTAL$21,178,273

Really not liking this Becton foot situation.  Reeks of a lazy fat guy injury.  Starting to have a feeling his weight is gonna be a big problem 

TLEF316 said:
Really not liking this Becton foot situation.  Reeks of a lazy fat guy injury.  Starting to have a feeling his weight is gonna be a big problem 
The weight was one of the big flags on him coming out and partly why he dropped.....his foot injuries could easily become chronic and he could balloon up if off his feet for a while - I hope they stay on him as hes a critical piece for the future

I like JD renegotiating these contracts - Alex Lewis knew he would be lucky to get paid anything close so JD was able to get some $ back and void the next yr - so now hes a decent depth piece for a reasonable price

Same for Crowder - drafting Elijah puts pressure on Crowder - no way he scores even 50% of what hes due on the open market - I see a compromise here as well saving more $ to roll over or invest in more depth like Moses and a CB

already at $72M in cap space for next year - figure they will roll over at least $10M and with some big $ cuts they should be close to $90M....if this draft class produces they will be looking very good 

Did you guys know that I gained thirty pounds during COVID?

Well, you didn't, but now you do. Imagine how Becton felt being cooped up all alone in an apartment with nothing to do but mashed and gravy, rinse repeat.

Man needs to be in shape!

Robby Sabo @RobbySabo

Again, everything about Zach Wilson as compared to Sam Darnold is much quicker. The release, the feet, the decisions. describe it is this: Wilson isn’t a “thinker.” Can’t play football (any sport, really, especially shoot in basketball), by overthinking everything. #Jets

Cole listed by Matt Waldman as potential fantasy breakout guy that you can grab late. Looks like, according to the groundswell at OTAs, that he has a shot at beating Mims out for the job. I could use this as a chance to lob a shot at our Philadelphia Freedom WR, but instead i'd like to point out something I said in another thread, so I apologize for the redundancy in advance.

That's a deep receiving corps if Crowder re-signs with the Jets. Davis, Crowder, Mims, Cole, Berrios, Moore. There's your six guys right there. That's a lot of good WR2 material.

Cole listed by Matt Waldman as potential fantasy breakout guy that you can grab late. Looks like, according to the groundswell at OTAs, that he has a shot at beating Mims out for the job. I could use this as a chance to lob a shot at our Philadelphia Freedom WR, but instead i'd like to point out something I said in another thread, so I apologize for the redundancy in advance.

That's a deep receiving corps if Crowder re-signs with the Jets. Davis, Crowder, Mims, Cole, Berrios, Moore. There's your six guys right there. That's a lot of good WR2 material.
Deep core, but will anyone stand out? Wilson has to be an improvement over Darnold, maybe a major jump. And Carter and TE(s) will get their share. PFF had their receiving core around 28 IIRC. A little too low, that's the Darnold effect. 

Try cooking your own food and walking everywhere. You've got some good weather in Cali. Two pounds a week, is 8 in a month. 

Deep core, but will anyone stand out? Wilson has to be an improvement over Darnold, maybe a major jump. And Carter and TE(s) will get their share. PFF had their receiving core around 28 IIRC. A little too low, that's the Darnold effect. 

Try cooking your own food and walking everywhere. You've got some good weather in Cali. Two pounds a week, is 8 in a month. 
LOL. I forgot I even wrote that and couldn't believe my eyes reading your comment. Must have been an early Saturday morning for me for sure.

June 15th is when Cali opens up. You're right -- I am vowing to do this. I think any updates are best left in the FFA, though. But do cheer me on!

As far as substantively Jets, I don't know if any are WR1 material. That's sort of why I said there's a lot of deep WR2 talent on this squad. There's no true alpha unless Davis shows he can be the guy or somehow Mims comes in and claims the role. That's one thing that was weird about his supposed descent in OTAs. Matt Harmon of Reception Perception (he charts every receiver's every route in every game the year prior) and Nate Tice of The Athletic both complimented Mims from his work last year. Color me surprised when all the buzz is about Cole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Davis
Crowder

Mims
Moore

Cole
Berrios
Looks undecided rn, but preliminary pecking order would look something like this?

Quick lookup of various projections:

CD: 67-881-5 / 63.6-874-4.3 / 67-928-4 (WR-38 WR45 WR47)

JC: 55-617-3 / 484.4-566-3.4 / 69-776-4 (WR55 WR72 WR53)
DM: 52-749-4 / 45.6-661-3.4 / 42-592-4 (WR51 WR67 WR75)

EM: 21-256-1 / 53.2-639-3.4 / 39-477-2 (WR114 WR64 WR82)
KC: 10-146-1 / 23.4-304-1.5 / 20-259-1 (WR143 WR112 WR110)

BB: 0-00-0 / 6.3-70-0.2 / 2-21-0 (WRx WR148 WR182)

Did you guys know that I gained thirty pounds during COVID?

Well, you didn't, but now you do. Imagine how Becton felt being cooped up all alone in an apartment with nothing to do but mashed and gravy, rinse repeat.

Man needs to be in shape!
Funny, but I lost 30 pounds during COVID.

Can you play right guard? If you were longer, you might be able to fill in for Becton when he gets hurts every game.

I know that it feels like Charlie Brown trying to kick that football, but I'm getting really excited about the team again.

Wilson is looking great at OTAs. Seems like he is picking things up quickly and making quick good decisions with the ball.

Moore is looking like a beast. He may be smallish, but the way he runs routes, gets separation, and has speed, it reminds me of a certain great 5' 10" WR (a diva that turned out to be a mental case and a recent Super Bowl winner).  Who knows, maybe Moore turns out to be a WR1 some day.  He's definitely not just a small slot WR.

Speaking of just small slot WRs, Crowder should get his salary cut (probably down to $6m from $11m).  He's a good slot WR, but he is small, can't block, and doesn't really have the skill set for this offense. Plus, he would just take snaps away from Moore this year.

Frankly, I think Crowder would just be the 4th WR on this team (5th if you count Mims. more on him in a bit). There is no way that you pay a 4th WR $6m a year, much less $11m.  I saw Connor Hughes complaining about the Jets messing with Crowder's money and that we don't need the cap space this year. Hey Ginger, the Jets can roll the cap space into next year. I would be ok if they cut or traded him, but I'm ok keeping him at a much reduced price). Berrios is fine as a depth slot WR for 1/10th of the price.

Mims can become a good WR, but he's more of a vertical WR.  He's going to have to become a better route runner and yards after catch guy to be the starter in this system. Not to mention, stay healthy. I think Cole is going to start out on the outside with Moore in the slot to start out this season.

Lots of good vibes on Carter. He should take over as the first RB after a couple of games or sooner since Coleman tends to get dinged up.

Now that OTAs are over, the coaching staff should have a better idea of how the kids might fit in and where we might need to add some free agents.

TE is still a big question mark. I haven't heard anything about Yeboah. Herndon has looked ok, but hard to trust him. I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to add Ertz.

Back-up QBs are a disaster. The Morgan pick looks even worse if that's possible. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded for Foles.

With the cap space saved from Crowder, they should sign Moses.In an emergency they can move Fant to LT (god help us). Moses might even beat out Fant at RT.

Maybe they reach out to Steven Nelson, too. 

Looks undecided rn, but preliminary pecking order would look something like this?

Quick lookup of various projections:

CD: 67-881-5 / 63.6-874-4.3 / 67-928-4 (WR-38 WR45 WR47)

JC: 55-617-3 / 484.4-566-3.4 / 69-776-4 (WR55 WR72 WR53)
DM: 52-749-4 / 45.6-661-3.4 / 42-592-4 (WR51 WR67 WR75)

EM: 21-256-1 / 53.2-639-3.4 / 39-477-2 (WR114 WR64 WR82)
KC: 10-146-1 / 23.4-304-1.5 / 20-259-1 (WR143 WR112 WR110)

BB: 0-00-0 / 6.3-70-0.2 / 2-21-0 (WRx WR148 WR182)
Where you getting the projections from, BL? The receivers look a tad undervalued to me and we're not even sure who is going to be there. Corey Davis is probably the most accurate one, though. They're doing these projections before the roster is even reasonably set, so who knows, really? That will have a lot to do with the moving pieces here. You'll probably have to adjust upward some of those given that they will bet getting playing time and we don't really have a feature back in the offense.

Where you getting the projections from, BL? The receivers look a tad undervalued to me and we're not even sure who is going to be there.

Corey Davis

is probably the most accurate one, though. They're doing these projections before the roster is even reasonably set, so who knows, really? That will have a lot to do with the moving pieces here. You'll probably have to adjust upward some of those given that they will bet getting playing time and we don't really have a feature back in the offense.
FF Today, FBGs consensus, Mike Clay

I have a few others bookmarked.

IDK if you've ever gone through the exercise of making your own projections. It's a pretty intense process, but almost all of the articles I've read about start out with pace and targets. You generally start out at a macro level and define how many plays you think a team will run, try to factor in game scripts, what their pass/run. The natural starting point is to figure out pass attempts/targets for the team and then start assigning individual targets. I definitely am not advocating everyone should do their own projections, but it's a really useful exercise bc it gives you a really good feel about what the range of outcomes might be.

The 2020 Jets were 31st in plays run (948) and 29th in pass attempts (499.) Most folks this year have them running over 1K plays and being middle of the pack in pass attempts (<600) - 540, 573 and 576 in the three I pulled tonight.

IDK if you've ever gone through the exercise of making your own projections. It's a pretty intense process, but almost all of the articles I've read about start out with pace and targets. You generally start out at a macro level and define how many plays you think a team will run, try to factor in game scripts, what their pass/run. The natural starting point is to figure out pass attempts/targets for the team and then start assigning individual targets. I definitely am not advocating everyone should do their own projections, but it's a really useful exercise bc it gives you a really good feel about what the range of outcomes might be.

The 2020 Jets were 31st in plays run (948) and 29th in pass attempts (499.) Most folks this year have them running over 1K plays and being middle of the pack in pass attempts (<600) - 540, 573 and 576 in the three I pulled tonight.
That's awesome. I do not do my own projections, I use a greater than/less than method which keeps me in the game even if it's not quite as exacting a process as I could make it. Staring from the macro level and the amount of plays run works, as does the pass/run ratio. I honestly think that nobody could quite have a handle on how many targets a guy should have unless they're looking at historical data within a specific offense. Otherwise, as useful as the exercise is for forecasting ranges and figuring out what is feasible, I'm not sure individual projections are all that worthwhile when countered with the dynamism with which coaches, offensive schemes, and offensive personnel changes, if that makes sense.

I mean, I get the utility in getting a feasible range. I get the utility is ascertaining how many plays a team is going to run. I get the utility of figuring out a run/pass ratio given the principal decision-makers. I'm just skeptical that people look too hard at projections without knowing how the sausage is made. That's the kicker, I guess. How are you determining these things? That's what seems important to me and the person that is truly transparent in their methods gets my adulation.

I do my own RB projections (well not every year) and then I laugh about how they are better than FBGs. More importantly, it helps my frame my thoughts about all the players. I went through a time when I simply tiered them and sometimes even had a tough time differentiating between players during a draft when I had a choice of several in a tier. 

After going through the projection process, my thoughts on each player tend to be a lot clearer. It's a great mental exercise although it can be quite the laborious process.

Back-up QBs are a disaster. The Morgan pick looks even worse if that's possible. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded for Foles.
I’m pretty surprised they haven’t brought in a veteran backup QB yet. Foles makes a ton of sense and he’d be dirt cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread