What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (5 Viewers)

He reminds me of a poor man's Marcus Mariota. All I'm getting watching him is that. He looks rigid dropping back and rigid in his motion.

Another touchdown. Maybe I'm wrong.
I would agree that he's a little stiff in the pocket.  And it's not ideal.

But I don't get the Mariotta comp. I hated him as an NFL prospect. He just seemed weak to me. Just little weak dinks and dunks like he was throwing darts in a bar.  Never went downfield. Fields generates a ton of power.  Much better frame IMO.

But yes, he doesn't look as fluid as you'd like. Totally agree there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Jax is watching the game right now and decides to take Fields over Lawrence...
Fields is certainly helping his draft stock, but an off game by Lawrence won’t change his status. Also have to see how Fields does against Alabama (assuming Clemson doesn’t come back).

Justin Fields just helped make the Jets #2 pick that much more valuable with this insane performance of his tonight.

Whether or not the Jets take a QB at 2...I personally don't think they will as I've said a ton of times but that said the #2 slot just got even more valuable than it already was. And a QB needy team might give up a haul to now want to bring Fields in.

I mean it could possibly be us but I still think we are going Sewell if we stay at 2 or trading down. Now if we trade down to a team that want Sewell in a huge way, we could trade down and possibly take a Fields or Wilson if we dont move past 5 or so. That I have to say could be a possibility after tonight.

But man I gotta say...Fields has blown me away tonight. Never thought he had this in him. OK Joe D...it just got even more intriguing to see what you end up doing.

Seriously. Lord knows I could be wrong, but it seems to me that we should wait until this guy takes that stiff, elongated delivery to the pros. I'm not sure how it's going to translate. Maybe quite well. I doubt it.

Lawrence was throwing fifteen yard outs under pressure off his back foot and drilling the ball in there by simple hip rotation and nimble feet. Fields's back foot was coming up off the turf on throws.

Everyone can get on me all they want, but that's what I'm seeing.

Naturally I am pleased to see Fields raise his stock.  If your management doesn't believe in him another team's probably will - especially if he doubles things up with a strong performance against Alabama.  And the more QBs at the top of this year's draft the merrier I say :)

Btw Happy 2021.

-QG

Seriously. Lord knows I could be wrong, but it seems to me that we should wait until this guy takes that stiff, elongated delivery to the pros. I'm not sure how it's going to translate. Maybe quite well. I doubt it.

Lawrence was throwing fifteen yard outs under pressure off his back foot and drilling the ball in there by simple hip rotation and nimble feet. Fields's back foot was coming up off the turf on throws.

Everyone can get on me all they want, but that's what I'm seeing.
Sorry @rockaction , after tonight the only thing rigid and elongated is Joe Douglas' Woody Johnson.

I wouldnt be upset if JD went QB - While the new QB definitely resets the clock for Douglas....but taking Sewell gives them an identity....since Rex the Jets have been rudderless without a culture, identity or anything really to plan for except the one strange Fitz yr....

You add Sewell and Thuney to that OL with Becton it becomes an instant top 10 OL that w stmill give DCs nightmares.....Add one the top WR FAs ike Juju plus a top RB in the 2d rd like Etienne and watch this offense take off.....even Sam would look lightyears better in that type of set up.  If Sanchez could thrive in that set up then why couldnt Sam?  

I think this is the best path for relevancy....if Sam stumbles again then hes off the books and the new QB would walk into an awesome set up.  
Sanchez did not thrive. The 2009 Jets were a 13-3 team if they had a league average quarterback. They only went 9-7 due to poor quarterback play. 

Im not delusional on Sam - I know where he is ranked....but in my eyes its just not that simple....Josh Allen would be terrible if he had what Sam did the past 3 yrs.  

rookie year - worst coaching staff in league with Bowles; terrible OL, no solid RB, WR or TE to throw to - injured for few weeks as well

Year 2 - new coaching staff that is even worse than the previous regime, worst OL in the league, below avg Bell and still no WRs of note except Robbie Anderson whose more of a #2...freak mono diagnosis that sidelined him multiple games and probably affected the others as well

Year 3 - no real offseason or training camp....still worst coaching staff in league.....improved OL but worse WRs and RB positions.....shoulder injury thats not his fault as hes pile driven to turf and inexplicably sent back in by moron coach - Trevor talk going on all year.  

That is an absolutely awful way to start a career....Sam is younger than Burrow.  Hes an NFL baby....if Tannenhill can resurrect his career post Gase than I dont see why Sam couldnt.....the big issue is the contract...hes absolutely not worth $25M and he knows it....he has one year to show hes worth an extension and if not they cut bait....its a tough spot with a new offensive staff but Id argue it couldnt be any worse than the last one....

2021 possibly - Better staff with real NFL coaches....healthy...full camp/offseason...improved OL with vet Becton...possible FA stud and rookie stud....real running game with someone like Etienne....true #1 WR like A-Rob Rob, Golliday or Godwin....I could live with him getting one more shot to see what he can do with this situation
The problem with Tannehill was that he played well at times in Miami. He got injured too much and then Gase messed him up at the end. Darnold has played fewer strong games with the Jets than Tannehill did with the Dolphins. 

Darnold has not had a 300-yard game this season. In this NFL era it is hard to never rise above pedestrian level when strictly viewing passing yardage. In other words, just by accident you should have such a game occasionally. 

His big game vs Dallas in 2019 was littered with poor mechanics and good luck. Darnold had some bad footwork on successful plays which undoubtedly led to more problems down the road (bad habits). Also, there was at least two potential interceptions that Dallas defenders should have made. 

That all said, Darnold is still young and if the Jets still don't have a "franchise" quarterback in 2022 and Darnold is a Pro Bowler for Indianapolis or San Francisco, it will be really embarrassing for the Jets and difficult for us. 

However, if they pass on Fields/Wilson/Lance/Jones and enter year #4 with Darnold there is a possibility they will draft 3rd overall in 2022 and be looking to draft a quarterback. 

The decision has to be made by the new coach as to whether to commit to Darnold long term or move on now. "We think Darnold could maybe be the guy" cannot be uttered. No. In 2021 it either has to be "Darnold is not the guy" or "Darnold is the guy." 

Drafting a left tackle in back-to-back years is financially questionable. Odds are one would leave as a free agent before getting a second contract with the Jets. 

It would be so like this franchise to be sitting there at the end of the 2021 season with two premier left tackles and no quarterback. (Of course, obviously one would be moved to right tackle but you get the point). 

Certainly some guarded optimism for Fields and the value of the #2 pick after last night. Let’s see how he does versus Alabama though - if he struggles badly, we’re probably right back to the situation before last night.

Sanchez did not thrive. The 2009 Jets were a 13-3 team if they had a league average quarterback. They only went 9-7 due to poor quarterback play. 
maybe thrive is too positive but he made some darn big throws on the road in the playoffs which were pretty good for a 1st and 2d yr QB....he then lost his weapons and went downhill quickly....but he played good enough to get to 2 AFCCG with a great OL/RB/RB in place

Fantastic game by Fields and a good pm for the Jets.....he exceeded all my expectations to the point where Id be more than ok taking him at #2....if he has another game like that vs Bama Jd may have no choice but to take him....he looked that good.  

Either way as long as he doesnt stink it up in the finals the #2 pick just got more valuable and the decision a lot more interesting....

If JD falls in love with Fields then he should take him at #2 - dont be cute and trade down as he wont last....im warming up to this based upon the reset of contract and I think Fields will attract better coaches after that performance than trying to fix Darnold.....plus adding a mid rd pick for Sam may be nice. 

If JD wants to trade down he should get a much better haul....but I dont see Miami passing on Sewell and I would hate to lose him.....Im not sure why its a problem having 2 stud tackles....who said you cant pay both?  They have no players worthy of big time contracts and a ton of $ under the cap....no reason why they couldnt pay them both....as for getting a QB in 2022...there will be ones available as there are every year if Sam flames out

Ill be doing a deeper dive looking at Fields though as he looked like a special player last pm....although you cant get hung up on one game...Sam has a monster bowl game vs Penn St and I I recall Geno Smith hanging 400 yds and 6 TDs vs Clemson in his last Bowl Game so so theres always that fear...but Fields seems to have a much more solid career and higher touted prospect.  

Well, first of all if you are Sewell and know how LTs are paid compared to RTs, you probably won't like to go to the Jets. I know nothing about him off the field, though. He might be a grade A quality guy and may be fine with playing RT. 

If the Jets do take Sewell, then they may have to take Jones or Trask with their other first rounder. No matter what, I think the Jets would be foolish to enter the 2021 season with Joe Flacco as Darnold's only competition. There are six QBs who could go in the 1st round. The Jets have two first round picks and they don't currently have a QB who you know IS the answer. 

If Darnold flames out in 2021, then things get more difficult for the new head coach. It might even be a Steve Wilks scenario. Imagine entering 2022- new QB, 1st or 2nd year head coach, GM in 4th year. We'll all be asking ourselves, "What the heck are we doing?"

THIS is the offseason to get everybody on the same page. It will be helpful if the GM can call the shots.

Well, first of all if you are Sewell and know how LTs are paid compared to RTs, you probably won't like to go to the Jets. I know nothing about him off the field, though. He might be a grade A quality guy and may be fine with playing RT. 

If the Jets do take Sewell, then they may have to take Jones or Trask with their other first rounder. No matter what, I think the Jets would be foolish to enter the 2021 season with Joe Flacco as Darnold's only competition. There are six QBs who could go in the 1st round. The Jets have two first round picks and they don't currently have a QB who you know IS the answer. 
If Sewell plays like the stud he is expected to be he'll get paid a ton...top LT is making $23M and top RT is making $18M....im sure they can find a way.....since they have no other big contract besides Becton on the horizon it could work

If Darnold flames out in 2021, then things get more difficult for the new head coach. It might even be a Steve Wilks scenario. Imagine entering 2022- new QB, 1st or 2nd year head coach, GM in 4th year. We'll all be asking ourselves, "What the heck are we doing?"

THIS is the offseason to get everybody on the same page. It will be helpful if the GM can call the shots.
definitely would be challenging if Darnold flames out again....who knows what draft/FA would bring - but team would be in much better shape overall......however watching Fields put up big numbers definitely makes a case for a reset at QB

https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann/status/1345456030847700992

Let's play a hypothetical scenario here. Let's say this offer is on the table for #2. 

What do you do? 
The responses were awesome

"Any time you can build around the league's worst quaterback, you do it!"

"Any time you can trade your first overall pick for just one extra first to build around your fourth year game manager you have to do it."

That about sums up that proposition. Terrible.

Probably has been said many times, but unless JD is offered a king’s ransom for the two spot, the clear move is to pick whichever of Fields/Wilson he covets and let him and Darnold battle it out in training camp (unless of course someone is willing to give a high pick for Darnold).

Looks like a win/win situation - if Darnold raises his game with the competition and revamped roster, you can go with him and let him walk after his rookie deal is up after 2021. If the rookie outplays Darnold, you still have a credible backup with Sam and he gets to find a new team in 2022 without any more financial commitment. 

The responses were awesome

"Any time you can build around the league's worst quaterback, you do it!"

"Any time you can trade your first overall pick for just one extra first to build around your fourth year game manager you have to do it."

That about sums up that proposition. Terrible.

To be fair, that is a LOT of picks. They'd be getting an extra 1 (which would probably be a top 20 pick, if not higher) , two extra 2's and 2 extra 3's to move down 8 spots.  And you'd have a LOT of ammo to move back up a couple of spots if needed.

But it all hinges on believing in Sam, which I do not. And next year's QB class doesn't appear to very good.

To be fair, that is a LOT of picks. They'd be getting an extra 1 (which would probably be a top 20 pick, if not higher) , two extra 2's and 2 extra 3's to move down 8 spots.  And you'd have a LOT of ammo to move back up a couple of spots if needed.

But it all hinges on believing in Sam, which I do not. And next year's QB class doesn't appear to very good.
That is a decent amount of picks, but given our drafting, I don't trust that we'll do anything with the extra second-rounders. But maybe I'm being too dismissive of the new GM and thinking more about the utter disasters that Idzik and Mccagnan were. I do know an extra first isn't enough without all those others in tow. But, indeed, like you said, if you're going to pull that trade you gotta believe in Sam, which I don't.

So the comments to that tweet, while snarky, stand in my book.

That is a decent amount of picks, but given our drafting, I don't trust that we'll do anything with the extra second-rounders. But maybe I'm being too dismissive of the new GM and thinking more about the utter disasters that Idzik and Mccagnan were. I do know an extra first isn't enough without all those others in tow. But, indeed, like you said, if you're going to pull that trade you gotta believe in Sam, which I don't.

So the comments to that tweet, while snarky, stand in my book.

I get that the Jets have generally blown their 2nd rounders, but you can't translate that into "2nd rounders are worthless". They're obviously not and the CURRENT GM appears to be 1 for 1. (Mims), even with a trade-back (although to be fair, that tradeback turned out to be nothing, as they then traded back AGAIN and drafted Morgan and Clarke, neither of whom saw the field this year)

If they believed in Sam, that trade would be an absolute no brainer, say yes and hang up before they change their mind situation. But he hasn't shown to be worth believing in.

I get that the Jets have generally blown their 2nd rounders, but you can't translate that into "2nd rounders are worthless". They're obviously not and the CURRENT GM appears to be 1 for 1. (Mims), even with a trade-back (although to be fair, that tradeback turned out to be nothing, as they then traded back AGAIN and drafted Morgan and Clarke, neither of whom saw the field this year)

If they believed in Sam, that trade would be an absolute no brainer, say yes and hang up before they change their mind situation. But he hasn't shown to be worth believing in.
Agreed. That's why I sort of said that it was no longer Idzik or Maccagnan doing the drafting so I shouldn't pooh-pooh valuable picks.

One thing thing about believing in Darnold and picks: If there was reason to believe in Darnold, I don't think we'd be in this position. Solid QBs elevate the play of the rest of the offense and keep teams with average defenses in games. But it's our offense that's almost record-breakingly atrocious, and Sam of course, bears a lot of the blame. What I'm trying to say is that our draft position and reason to feel faithless about Sam are inextricably linked, and if he were somebody to believe in, we wouldn't be having this draft discussion.  

He could get a Lane Johnson-like contract, which is still pretty good. As I said earlier, the Eagles essentially paid 2 left tackles for a few years and it worked out fine. 

He could get a Lane Johnson-like contract, which is still pretty good. As I said earlier, the Eagles essentially paid 2 left tackles for a few years and it worked out fine. 
The Ravens are staring down this situation.

All Pro LT Ronnie Stanley got his new contract this year. When he got hurt, Pro Bowler Orlando Brown moved from RT to LT and has played really well. Brown's rookie contract runs out after next season. He's gonna get LT money, whether it's at RT for Baltimore or as a FA,

Today will be Darnold's third start vs New England. 

Starts vs NE since Darnold was drafted:

Darnold- 2

Flacco- 1

Falk- 1

McCown- 1

Darnold's starts were Bowles's final game and the ghost game. 

If Darnold comes back, then he will enter year 4 before he plays a meaningful game vs the Jets biggest rival.

Also, in pathetic news, James Morgan will have played 0 snaps for a team with 2 or 3 wins and an unclear quarterback situation.

Also, in pathetic news, James Morgan will have played 0 snaps for a team with 2 or 3 wins and an unclear quarterback situation.
I guess you can hit on a character guy in the fourth round sometimes...what exactly was the organizational plan for this guy? And there were still viable WRs going off the board at this point.

For the first time since some time in the 2019 season you find yourself rooting for the Jets to actually win and their opponent goes through the defense like it is a sieve on the opening drive.

It's like Gase thought: Ok, well we clinched not getting the first pick, so let's go back to throwing WR screens on 2nd and 3rd long. Painful to watch. Countdown to Gase getting the boot: 2 hours and 20 minutes.

After that drive, what is Sam's trade value? A conditional 7th?

Ugh. He had Herndon wide open and missed him by 10 yards. Easy pitch and catch. Even Mr. Magoo after getting acid in his eyes could see that Darnold is not this team's future.

Users who are viewing this thread