What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (8 Viewers)

It feels really good knowing the Jets got their guy. They didn't watch him go to another team. They don't have to limp into this season with someone down on their list, a coach who took the job because there was nothing else available. Saleh wants to be here. That's a great sign for future FAs as well. I know this will take some time to turn things around but this is a solid start. 

I don't think you can underestimate how important Douglas is to this organization right now.  Even though it may not seem that way to the casual fan, having Joe D in charge and his credibility throughout the league made this a fairly decent job despite these Owners we have and the awful coach and record we just came from.  The one thing about CJ is the fact they did not fire Gase mid season may have earned them some respect in Coaching circles and letting Joe D do his thing also loosened things up a bit.  Maybe they learned from the Rhule fiasco from a couple of years ago... one can only hope... 

Yes - there's still a lot of questions to be answered but I'm please with the hire and I'm pleased that they were able to land their first choice and it was a candidate that was in high demand.

Saleh will give this team instant credibility and he seems to live and breath coaching football. Q will be even more dangerous in a 4-3 scheme as well - they still need that elusive edge rusher of course and some help in the secondary to make this a top defense.

LaFleur as OC is also exciting as look at what the SF offense was able to do - they never lost much even when down to their third string QB and with their best weapon sidelined. 

The next step is to decide who will be the QB in 2021 (and beyond) - unfortunately there's no easy answer on that one right now. 

Going from Gase to Saleh has to be one of the biggest coaching upgrades in recent memory. 
True, but it's a very low bar. Rich Kotite would be an upgrade over Gase.

I remember when I had a field pass to a Jets game in Houston. I wanted to check Todd Bowels for a pulse. Who knew that it would get worse? Well everyone on here when we hired Gase. What a disaster. Good to see everyone on board with this hire.  Let's hope it works out. We could use some good karma for a change.

I've watched a couple of this guy's interviews this morning.  First thought was...."Oh Yeah.....THAT'S how an adult football coach talks to the media". Guy is clearly extremely bright, straight forward and a very good communicator.  Now, its a little easier to do that when you're not in the big chair, but at least he's a grown up who can properly explain himself.

Now, at the end of the day, he's gotta do more than that. He'll have to win. But at least we know he wont be a complete embarrassment at the podium, making the team a laughing stock and eroding credibility and trust with every syllable.

Yes - there's still a lot of questions to be answered but I'm please with the hire and I'm pleased that they were able to land their first choice and it was a candidate that was in high demand.

Saleh will give this team instant credibility and he seems to live and breath coaching football. Q will be even more dangerous in a 4-3 scheme as well - they still need that elusive edge rusher of course and some help in the secondary to make this a top defense.

LaFleur as OC is also exciting as look at what the SF offense was able to do - they never lost much even when down to their third string QB and with their best weapon sidelined. 

The next step is to decide who will be the QB in 2021 (and beyond) - unfortunately there's no easy answer on that one right now. 
Not sure that he completely lives and breathes football. His wife is about to pop out their 7th child. He's giving Rivers and Cromartie a run for their money.

I love the hire, but I also love that we'll be running some form of the Shanahan offense.

Although Wilson is probably a good fit for the offense, I have to think that they will keep Darnold now. Heavy run offense. Lots of movement and throwing outside the pocket.  We'll see. If anything, they might be more likely to trade down. Maybe they even draft a pass rusher now.

Although Wilson is probably a good fit for the offense, I have to think that they will keep Darnold now. Heavy run offense. Lots of movement and throwing outside the pocket.  We'll see. If anything, they might be more likely to trade down. Maybe they even draft a pass rusher now.
I do think it may be more important to build a team before "reaching" for a QB in this draft and if that means one more year with Darnold I could live with that while holding out some hope that Gase was even more detrimental to him than even we thought.

I'd surely at least bring back Flacco but would prefer an even better veteran if we go with Sam in 2021.

I'm back on the Sewell train since he seems the safe play and like you said this should be a run heavy offense. Darnold may be a little more successful with time to throw and with an effective play action and roll out type of offense. 

The "most important offseason" in a long time gets off to a good start at least. Go Joe D!!!

I do think it may be more important to build a team before "reaching" for a QB in this draft
This x 1000%

If they are not completely sold on one of the QBs that'll go high in this draft, don't draft one. The Jets (and every other team) still need good players elsewhere. Fill the team up with as many solid players as you can and wait for your chance to get the QB you want. 

If Douglas and Saleh are all-in on Fields or Wilson, then go for it. But don't push it.

I think the unicorn scenario is to be strong everywhere else and then draft a QB who you can make a run with for a few years before his rookie contract is up. 

Saleh was my favorite coach this offseason.  Considering that I love bad teams and I couldn't get behind the jets last year due to Gase being a #####, I officially declare that this year I'm a jets fan!

I do think it may be more important to build a team before "reaching" for a QB in this draft and if that means one more year with Darnold I could live with that while holding out some hope that Gase was even more detrimental to him than even we thought.

I'd surely at least bring back Flacco but would prefer an even better veteran if we go with Sam in 2021.

I'm back on the Sewell train since he seems the safe play and like you said this should be a run heavy offense. Darnold may be a little more successful with time to throw and with an effective play action and roll out type of offense. 

The "most important offseason" in a long time gets off to a good start at least. Go Joe D!!!
Flacco needs to hit the road. He has no future with this team. Shouldn't Morgan be ready to be the back-up by now? I'm afraid that we all suspect that he won't be ready next year.

Daniel Jeremiah actually has Slater ahead of Sewell. That's interesting.

https://twitter.com/movethesticks/status/1332507781815930880

Anyway, assuming we don't go QB, then I see us trading down. If you land the second pick and don't get a QB, it's probably best to trade the pick for a bundle if that situation arises.

Flacco needs to hit the road. He has no future with this team. Shouldn't Morgan be ready to be the back-up by now? I'm afraid that we all suspect that he won't be ready next year.
I don't think he has a future - I just want some one that can come in and move the team should Sam falter. Like I said I'd prefer an upgrade - and no I'm not willing to count on Morgan.

I don't think he has a future - I just want some one that can come in and move the team should Sam falter. Like I said I'd prefer an upgrade - and no I'm not willing to count on Morgan.
Let's find a younger back-up. Besides, I don't think Flacco fits into the Shanahan offense

My .02 coppers.

Love this hire. Saleh's enthusiasm will be contagious. He'll help fix the defense and he'll likely bring in Mike Lafleur to run the offense and try and fix Darnold if it's possible.

Tho I wanted Daboll or Brady as my top choices with Brady being the "out of the box" pick,  Saleh was a very close 3rd choice and I'm very very very OK with this hire. I think Douglas got it right

Also thank the good lord we didn't hire Pederson. That would have been very disappointing as I didn't want a retread even someone who just won a SB a few years ago. But we don't have to worry about that thankfully.  I've always had confidence in Douglas from the get go. He gave me a really good vibe early on. And this faith in him has proved correct as I believe for the first time in a very very long time, the Jets are actually on the right track. 

Let me repeat that....the Jets are actually on the right track....lol. In all seriousness, I don't believe I've said or thought that since the early Rex days.

As I felt with  Jeff Gorton when he first got the NY Ranger gig, have felt same with Douglas. We actually have a football guy who knows what the F he's doing and is respected around the league. This hire of Saleh is just what the doctor ordered and what we needed.

So like most of my Jet brothers in here,  I'm pumped up. That said, if we can nail the upcoming draft which I have the utmost confidence in Douglas too do and we can work on fixing Sam which is very likely the route we are going to go in as I'd be shocked if we took any of those QB's at #2, we'll have hit a home run if not a grand slam and this hire of Saleh is just the start!

Saleh is being universally praised which I have yet to see with a Jet hire.....

The defense was not terrible last yr.....figuring Q developing further, Mosely finally playing and the coaching upgrade I think the D can be playoff competitive very soon.  

The O still needs an overhaul....if they go with Sam he is essentially on a one year tryout like Tannenhlll was....Id like to see what he can do with a real coaching staff and some added weapons.  Plus it would allow them to upgrade the rest of the O now so if Sam falters the next QB steps into a very good base

If they love a QB at #2 then so be it as well....I can see the benefits to both.  

Saleh is being universally praised which I have yet to see with a Jet hire.....
Definitely, but I have seen 2 knucklehead remarks in the last few minutes.

Connor Orr of SI's MMQB column wrote that the Saleh was met with hesitant praise in NY because he is a defensive coordinator instead of an offensive guy. Wrong. Almost every Jets fan I know has been exuberant in praise about this hire.

Get this precious comment from a Giants fan friend of mine. He texted me: This was a dumb hire by the Jets. How could they go with a defensive coordinator? I replied, definitely dumb. How can they not hire a Special Teams coordinator like the Giants did? Sigh. People are dumb.

Congrats Jets fans, and I'm sure this will bring back some much needed excitement. Saleh obviously has a quality track record as DC, and deserved a shot as HC. 

Connor Orr of SI's MMQB column wrote that the Saleh was met with hesitant praise in NY because he is a defensive coordinator instead of an offensive guy. Wrong. Almost every Jets fan I know has been exuberant in praise about this hire.

Get this precious comment from a Giants fan friend of mine. He texted me: This was a dumb hire by the Jets. How could they go with a defensive coordinator? I replied, definitely dumb. How can they not hire a Special Teams coordinator like the Giants did? Sigh. People are dumb.
Ridiculous some of these peeps as some love to bash the Jets even when we do things right. What's ironic is this might be the first time in forever or at least since probably when Parcells came here almost 25 years ago, that most of Jet Nation is not #####ing and moaning about a coach we hired.

From recollection as we go back in time, after Belichek flipped off the Jets and Al Groh came on board, I was pretty tepid about it nothing earth shattering. When Herm came on board I had a "wait and see" attitude and Herm to be honest grew on me and probably when I think about it, is one of the better Jet coaching hires ever as he did a pretty good job.

Mangini from the get go I was not thrilled about as he was a Patriot and I didn't want any Patriots in charge here. He was OK his first year but his personality was like watching paint dry. It was excruciating watching him on the sidelines with his sour #### face...ugh. He needed too go.

Rex I do recall being a little enthusiastic about...not alot but a little seeing I was happy we finally had a guy who would have a personality again and his Daddy was Buddy and so I was kind of on board when Rex came to town. I gotta admit, those first two years of Rex was just about as much fun as I've had as a Jet fan since those solid Jet teams of the 80's. But eventually Rex had to go as the whole BS Jet hierarchy way of doing things just was a disaster waiting to happen and it sure did implode with Idzik and than Mac. 

Was not happy with the Bowles signing as I recall I wanted Arians I believe at the time. And obviously Gase was a disasterous hire from the get go and we all knew it from the get go. So now we have Saleh. So yeah this is first time since Parcells I'm fully on board with a Jet hire which says alot and how incompetent we've been over the past two decades and change.

Daniel Jeremiah actually has Slater ahead of Sewell. That's interesting.

https://twitter.com/movethesticks/status/1332507781815930880

Anyway, assuming we don't go QB, then I see us trading down. If you land the second pick and don't get a QB, it's probably best to trade the pick for a bundle if that situation arises.
Now with the Saleh hire, my percentages of what we will do at the draft have shifted.

I'm now 55% we trade down and get a haul which is up from 35 a week ago. Darnold is likely staying and Mike Lafleur will hopefully know how to fix him which means we need alot of #### to fortify the rest of the team and so a trade down to get some extra picks is kind of enticing to be honest.

I'm 40% we'll take Sewell and either he or Becton goes to RT and we have the foundation for one of the best lines in the league within the next year or so after Douglas finishes adding too it.

Remaining 5% is if the Jets shockingly take a WR like Smith or one of the two QB's. I really don't think we are going this route as both QB's are simply not that much better than Darnold is and #2 is too soon to take one of those stud WR's.

Now with the Saleh hire, my percentages of what we will do at the draft have shifted.

I'm now 55% we trade down and get a haul which is up from 35 a week ago. Darnold is likely staying and Mike Lafleur will hopefully know how to fix him which means we need alot of #### to fortify the rest of the team and so a trade down to get some extra picks is kind of enticing to be honest.

I'm 40% we'll take Sewell and either he or Becton goes to RT and we have the foundation for one of the best lines in the league within the next year or so after Douglas finishes adding too it.

Remaining 5% is if the Jets shockingly take a WR like Smith or one of the two QB's. I really don't think we are going this route as both QB's are simply not that much better than Darnold is and #2 is too soon to take one of those stud WR's.
You/we will need new percentages after free agency.  Things will continue to shift.

Lafleur may help Darnold in a much friendlier QB system, but I don't know about "fix". These guys aren't miracle-makers. Look at Garoppolo. He's not very good, but can function within the system (as long as the running game is performing well). Sam is more talented than Jimmy G, but I don't think he will ever elevate his teammates. Maybe he can be a decent game-manager in that system.

I don't think that Lafleur will suddenly fix his faults, but he will put him in position to minimize his faults unlike Gase who seemed stuck on his scheme.  e.g. More one-read throws (Darnold isn't good at making reads). More play-action. Maybe move him around more than keeping him in that pocket.

If they stick with Darnold,then they will need more playmakers that can get their own yards after catch. The running game is important in this offense. It's also going to take more than Perine. It would be nice to get a real RB back there.

Again, the issue with Darnold isn't just his play on the field, it's his cost. I think they can get similar production at a much cheaper rate. He's got one more year at a reasonable rate. Then we're talking $20+ million. Not sure he is worth that, but at this point, whatever. I'm just going to go along with whatever JD and Saleh want to do.

I can write up some bad reviews if it makes you guys feel more comfortable ;)   :pokey:

-QG

Last edited by a moderator:
You/we will need new percentages after free agency.  Things will continue to shift.

Lafleur may help Darnold in a much friendlier QB system, but I don't know about "fix". These guys aren't miracle-makers. Look at Garoppolo. He's not very good, but can function within the system (as long as the running game is performing well). Sam is more talented than Jimmy G, but I don't think he will ever elevate his teammates. Maybe he can be a decent game-manager in that system.

I don't think that Lafleur will suddenly fix his faults, but he will put him in position to minimize his faults unlike Gase who seemed stuck on his scheme.  e.g. More one-read throws (Darnold isn't good at making reads). More play-action. Maybe move him around more than keeping him in that pocket.

If they stick with Darnold,then they will need more playmakers that can get their own yards after catch. The running game is important in this offense. It's also going to take more than Perine. It would be nice to get a real RB back there.

Again, the issue with Darnold isn't just his play on the field, it's his cost. I think they can get similar production at a much cheaper rate. He's got one more year at a reasonable rate. Then we're talking $20+ million. Not sure he is worth that, but at this point, whatever. I'm just going to go along with whatever JD and Saleh want to do.
You make some good points and we are pretty much on the same page. I'm warming up to taking instead of Etienne who as you know I love,  to instead taking Najee Harris at #34. We need someone like him...a playmaker who we can give the rock to 20 or so times a game. I know everyone says we can find RB's later in the draft and that may be true but when I see what guys like Derrick Henry and Dalvin Cook are doing both of them 2nd round picks, I really think bringing in a Harris with our 2nd round pick could be huge for this team....huge!!

I can write up some bad reviews if it makes you guys feel more comfortable ;)   :pokey:

-QG
Quiznos, I know it gets lonely on the Bengals board, so just become a Jets fan already.  If you're going to root for losing teams, it's better to have company. You can start off with a promising new-hire of Saleh. No promises going forward though, but at least there will be others to share in the misery if/when things go south.

You make some good points and we are pretty much on the same page. I'm warming up to taking instead of Etienne who as you know I love,  to instead taking Najee Harris at #34. We need someone like him...a playmaker who we can give the rock to 20 or so times a game. I know everyone says we can find RB's later in the draft and that may be true but when I see what guys like Derrick Henry and Dalvin Cook are doing both of them 2nd round picks, I really think bringing in a Harris with our 2nd round pick could be huge for this team....huge!!
If they are keeping Darnold, then the timeline shifts, too. Although I wanted a RB before, I couldn't see JD going for one early in the draft if they were rebooting at QB.  If they stick with Darnold and shifting towards a more RB heavy offense, then grabbing a RB with their second round pick makes it more reasonable now.

If they are keeping Darnold, then the timeline shifts, too. Although I wanted a RB before, I couldn't see JD going for one early in the draft if they were rebooting at QB.  If they stick with Darnold and shifting towards a more RB heavy offense, then grabbing a RB with their second round pick makes it more reasonable now.
I'm starting to wonder if Harris will even be there at 34 as his stock has gone way up. He's definitly be there at 23 but that might be too early too take him or Etienne. You guys convinced me of that a few weeks ago. So 34 would be golden but I'm afraid he's going to be gone same with Etienne.

I'm starting to wonder if Harris will even be there at 34 as his stock has gone way up. He's definitly be there at 23 but that might be too early too take him or Etienne. You guys convinced me of that a few weeks ago. So 34 would be golden but I'm afraid he's going to be gone same with Etienne.
It's likely that one is gone, maybe both.

Maybe they can trade down a few spots in the first and pick up a third or 4th rounder.

It's likely that one is gone, maybe both.

Maybe they can trade down a few spots in the first and pick up a third or 4th rounder.
You got to figure if the Jets trade down from 2 to let's say Atlanta even at 4, the Jets are going to get alot more than a 3rd and 4th rounder. If anything, I'd expect a 2nd rounder this year and probably a 1st and 3rd next year in order for us to move down. And if it's lets say the Panthers at 6, we should get alot more than that.

I don't have that draft trade chart that they use handy but if Jets trade down, they are going to get a bigtime haul.

Quiznos, I know it gets lonely on the Bengals board, so just become a Jets fan already.  If you're going to root for losing teams, it's better to have company. You can start off with a promising new-hire of Saleh. No promises going forward though, but at least there will be others to share in the misery if/when things go south.
Yeah other than draft stuff (to see rumors I'll leave you all to your new NFC West Coordinator turned head coach man.  Was just goofin' a little as there really hasn't been much neggin' on Saleh for you guys.  It's like Peter King saying something nice about the Bengals - hard to process.

Please trade the pick to a QB-needy team that is all I ask.

-QG

They can't take a RB at 23 - need a player at a premiere position there. I'd love Harris at 34 though - but if they miss him there's a few other good backs coming out.

dropping from 2d to 4th overall is worth a 2d rder and 3rd rder by the chart....but it depends on the value of the player....if the QBs rise up they could expect more than that....even adding a high 2d rder and 3rd rder to drop to 4th would be great but Atlanta would need to be hot for one of the QBs....

dropping to Carolina or Denver at #8 and #9 would likely garner a 1st for next year as well.  

I could see 2 trade downs - #2 to #4 and then #4 to 8/9 to cash in on 2 QBs....that would be really great....but they need to be sold that Sam can function in the new O and willing to roll the dice.  

They can't take a RB at 23 - need a player at a premiere position there. I'd love Harris at 34 though - but if they miss him there's a few other good backs coming out.
I agree - Id like to see them get an IOL at that spot or maybe get lucky and Pitts falls for a premiere TE....then RB with the 2d rd pick....dont think both Etienne and Harris would go in the 1st....1 may fall and worth rolling the dice.  

Okay guys,

Count me among the dissent. First, defense. That's not how today's game moves. The Rams have one of the best players on defense ever along the line and at DB and are 9-6 and mediocre. Moreso, we just invested in a 4-3 coach coming from a 3-4 build. That means cap capital and draft capital going into defensive end, the most expensive defensive position there is to maintain, the two DEs. On a team that has no pass rush to speak and whose best linebacker that would fit that scheme hasn't played in two years. So there goes all your draft and cap capital going to a team that had an adequate defense last year in an offense-laden league (anyone watch the Bills lately?) with QBs out the wazoo and rules not to touch them. Ever. So we're fighting into the fire of the dragon to begin with. Our coach's strength vs. league tendencies doesn't add up. And he was a DL coach before coordinator. He hasn't bounced around from the offense and back to defense like some of these guys that have experience on both sides of the ball. That worries me. Shanahan ran that very complex offense hiding all things QB. Saleh had nothing to do with that. So all things constant, wrong hire.

Second, you guys are wrong about running backs. We're likely not taking a running back to fit San Francisco's scheme early. SF spends time and scouting on late-round guys, guys who are thin, low BMI, fast, one cut runners who hit holes fast and hard and run with great speed. Just not great durability. They have an embarrassment of UDFA riches over in Frisco. I highly doubt draft capital goes to a running back. I could see Etienne, but not Harris if that's the way they surprise me and choose to go. Depends how they run in the forty. But all Jets backs will at least be this: One cut and off. That's the type of guy they'll bring in. They probably won't bring in all around backs like Harris at #23. I highly doubt it. Depends what he runs. 

Third, Darnold. One of the worst QBs, statistic-wise, in the NFL. Not even close to Tannehill level under Gase. And Tannehill has Henry and Brown and Davis to make him look good now. It's not just Gase. Darnold has some of the worst advanced metrics you'll ever see for a guy starting for three years. So we're stuck with him for another year. And how will we address our QB issue when we're fairly certain that cap room will address the defensive line? I don't see it. 

In all, bad hire for the Jets for all that it portends. I know today's not the day we do it, but today is to celebrate a non-Super Bowl coach maybe going 10-6 some years if you're really lucky.

Ugh. Typical Jets over-correction. You had the offense right, you just didn't get the right guy last time. Look around little mole, the hole's there somewhere! 

@rockaction....you starting the weekend early or something? :confused:
:shrug: Not really. I just dissent from the good vibes. I don't want to. I really wanted an offensive coach to coach the Jets. If you've watched us the past twenty years religiously, you might have the same feeling. We haven't moved the ball effectively since Vinny Testaverde. That's some 1998 stuff. Before anybody chimes in with Pennington, he never had a strong arm and good defenses adjusted even before his injury, hence getting wiped by the Raiders in '02 in the playoffs the year he was remotely effective.

I don't care if we lose, frankly, I'm just tired of losing ugly, which is what I see a lot of with our new DL coach. Lots of money in the defensive line, just like when we had Sheldon Richardson/Muhammad Wilkerson/Leonard Williams and Todd Bowles as head coach. I see 10-6 as our ceiling with that arrangement in today's football. Even the Giants, who dominated the SB with guys like Strahan, Osi, and Justin Tuck (and JPP for the second one, IIRC) had some legendary guys at the position. We're going to spend all our money going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 because now the front has got to be paid. And we have paid tied up in our linebacker Moseley and first-round capital in Williams, who's an interior guy. 

All in all, it's not a happy day. I've never been impressed with a guy that jumps up and down on the sidelines as a head coach kind of guy. I mean, Shanahan had his prints all over that team.

Okay guys,

Count me among the dissent. First, defense. That's not how today's game moves. The Rams have one of the best players on defense ever along the line and at DB and are 9-6 and mediocre. Moreso, we just invested in a 4-3 coach coming from a 3-4 build. That means cap capital and draft capital going into defensive end, the most expensive defensive position there is to maintain, the two DEs. On a team that has no pass rush to speak and whose best linebacker that would fit that scheme hasn't played in two years. So there goes all your draft and cap capital going to a team that had an adequate defense last year in an offense-laden league (anyone watch the Bills lately?) with QBs out the wazoo and rules not to touch them. Ever. So we're fighting into the fire of the dragon to begin with. Our coach's strength vs. league tendencies doesn't add up. And he was a DL coach before coordinator. He hasn't bounced around from the offense and back to defense like some of these guys that have experience on both sides of the ball. That worries me. Shanahan ran that very complex offense hiding all things QB. Saleh had nothing to do with that. So all things constant, wrong hire.

Second, you guys are wrong about running backs. We're likely not taking a running back to fit San Francisco's scheme early. SF spends time and scouting on late-round guys, guys who are thin, low BMI, fast, one cut runners who hit holes fast and hard and run with great speed. Just not great durability. They have an embarrassment of UDFA riches over in Frisco. I highly doubt draft capital goes to a running back. I could see Etienne, but not Harris if that's the way they surprise me and choose to go. Depends how they run in the forty. But all Jets backs will at least be this: One cut and off. That's the type of guy they'll bring in. They probably won't bring in all around backs like Harris at #23. I highly doubt it. Depends what he runs. 

Third, Darnold. One of the worst QBs, statistic-wise, in the NFL. Not even close to Tannehill level under Gase. And Tannehill has Henry and Brown and Davis to make him look good now. It's not just Gase. Darnold has some of the worst advanced metrics you'll ever see for a guy starting for three years. So we're stuck with him for another year. And how will we address our QB issue when we're fairly certain that cap room will address the defensive line? I don't see it. 

In all, bad hire for the Jets for all that it portends. I know today's not the day we do it, but today is to celebrate a non-Super Bowl coach maybe going 10-6 some years if you're really lucky.
They don't really need to pay DEs until they find good ones and if they did that would mean they will have a pass rush in theory.

I don't think the team will 100% follow the Niners blueprint - for all we know Saleh would prefer bigger durable RBs - but I don't think your prediction that they wait in the draft would not shock me if it turns out that way.

I agree about Darnold. We still don't know what the new staff thinks of him or what Douglass does either, nor what any of them think about the incoming class. I really don't feel great about Darnold but if the plan is to use this offseason to build around the QB and give Darnold one last chance that's ok. Then in 2022 we worry about the QB position.

:shrug: Not really. I just dissent from the good vibes. I don't want to. I really wanted an offensive coach to coach the Jets. If you've watched us the past twenty years religiously, you might have the same feeling. We haven't moved the ball effectively since Vinny Testaverde. That's some 1998 stuff. Before anybody chimes in with Pennington, he never had a strong arm and good defenses adjusted even before his injury, hence getting wiped by the Raiders in '02 in the playoffs the year he was remotely effective.

I don't care if we lose, frankly, I'm just tired of losing ugly, which is what I see a lot of with our new DL coach. Lots of money in the defensive line, just like when we had Sheldon Richardson/Muhammad Wilkerson/Leonard Williams and Todd Bowles as head coach. I see 10-6 as our ceiling with that arrangement in today's football. Even the Giants, who dominated the SB with guys like Strahan, Osi, and Justin Tuck (and JPP for the second one, IIRC) had some legendary guys at the position. We're going to spend all our money going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 because now the front has got to be paid. And we have paid tied up in our linebacker Moseley and first-round capital in Williams, who's an interior guy. 

All in all, it's not a happy day. I've never been impressed with a guy that jumps up and down on the sidelines as a head coach kind of guy. I mean, Shanahan had his prints all over that team.
If you have a good OC, does it matter if the HC is a defense guy?

Why do you need your head coach to coordinate your offense?

They're projected to be $70m below the cap. They will be out from under Mosley after year season.  

And the 49ers did a pretty good job going from a 3-4 to 4-3. 

I think you're being contrarian just to be so.

Why do you need your head coach to coordinate your offense?

They're projected to be $70m below the cap. They will be out from under Mosley after next year season.  

And the 49ers did a pretty good job going from a 3-4 to 4-3. 

I think you're being contrarian just to be so.
That's fair. I think I've listed fairly specific reasons why I'm not happy with the hire. Contrarians just gonna contrary. I've got my reasons.

As for the head coach, you want someone emphasizing that part of the team that matters most in today's game. Offense runs the show.

As for the cap, I see a lot of it going to positions now of need. Like the DL. We have absolutely no pass rush. Saleh, now brought in, has to be assured that it's being made a priority. But the rub: There are very few impact DEs in the draft from what I read.

The 49ers did a good job, but how many years did it take them in transition? I'm asking out of genuine curiosity.

Regardless, we'll see what Joe D. has in store. I have a funny feeling this is a three-year waste on Day One. Why stack the deck against yourself for success? Giddiness about a new hire after Gase is something I can absolutely relate to. Happiness over trying to win at the casino without counting the cards in the deck seems like a fool's errand. 

What they really need to do is cut Jamison Crowder. $11m for THAT?
They'll keep him as Darnold's security blanket. But you've nailed it. We have made some fundamentally bad decisions in the past. He can be replaced by Berrios, for all I'm concerned. Crowder is better than most give him credit for, as he does make plays downfield unlike your typical quick but not fast slot guy. But he's a) a slot guy b) oft-injured.

They don't really need to pay DEs until they find good ones and if they did that would mean they will have a pass rush in theory.
True.

I don't think the team will 100% follow the Niners blueprint - for all we know Saleh would prefer bigger durable RBs
Also true. That's one thing about Shanahan having his footprints all over the offense. You don't really know. But if the RB coach comes along with Saleh, one can be a little disposed to thinking it'll be similar to SF.

If you have a good OC, does it matter if the HC is a defense guy?
I think it does. Decisions all over the field will be made from a defensive point of view with a defensive guy (I would say most of the time this is true. It is not true all of the time.) Unless the OC has major pull, I don't see offense (especially the passing game) being an emaphasis of the coaches. If we're bringing in SF guys, it sounds like a run and defense team, not the combination I'm really looking forward to watching. Yeah, it's nice to watch Mostert and crew if you have them for fantasy football. It's not so great otherwise.

I guess invest in Ty Johnson if you're in FF. For now, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread