What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (5 Viewers)

Same dummies that are likely clamoring for Jim Harbaugh.
People also did not like when I said D'Brickshaw Ferguson was not a Hall of Fame player when people were calling him "a lock". Someone actually told me I have no idea what I'm talking about and that Brick was a Top 10 OT of all-time.

• Laughing
Reactions: LBH
I would say that Gase is in on the tank job, but we all know he's just incompetent. I just want to see how Mims looks, and he looks explosive and strong on the ball. Hopefully he's a building block for whatever happens next season. Sign a guy like JJSS to go with Mims and Crowder and that's a receiving corp. that can be dangerous once the line gets built.
If I had my choice, it would be A-Rob, but I doubt the Bears let him get away. Juju will definitely be available, but he plays 73% from the slot which wouldn't work with Crowder.  Golloday wouldn't be bad either.

For the love of God, throw the ball to Mims. It's so infuriating.  How do things go so badly at the half? It's unbelievable. Last week we got the T. White moved over to cover Mims narrative. Now what? 

From 4 yards after the half to 26 yards after the half. Talk about improvement from last game. Maybe by week 17 we'll get to 100 yards and almost a td.

Last edited by a moderator:
People also did not like when I said D'Brickshaw Ferguson was not a Hall of Fame player when people were calling him "a lock". Someone actually told me I have no idea what I'm talking about and that Brick was a Top 10 OT of all-time.
Sometimes I just have to stop and remember to tell myself that some people are just WAAAAAAY more casual about sports than I am.

I dont know that much about football. I never played it (other than 2 years of peewee), never coached it, etc. But I still know like 20X more than the average person who calls themselves a fan. That's just the way things are.

I LOVE Ferguson. Dude was an incredibly solid player and his durability was insane (I believe he only technically missed one snap his whole career and it was on a trick play). But yeah, not a hall of famer.  Only 3 pro-bowls, no all-pro teams. Was probably never a top 2-3 tackle in the league, no super bowls (not that team titles should be a defining thing, but they do help). And the fact that he retired relatively early (only played 10 years) doesn't help.

Nothing but love for the guy, but he's just not quite on that level. I remember the day they drafted him and Mangold so vividly. It was my senior year of college and, even though it was a Saturday, I had to wake up crazy early to re-take an exam for my "Intro to finance" class. The professor was a lunatic (tenured chair of the department, so he couldn't be touched) who thought it was his job to fail as many "non deserving" students as possible, so he always gave an impossible first exam that everyone failed. He offered a re-take, but only if you showed up for extra help with his TA every Tuesday night for the rest of the semester. Basically, he'd fail you the first time but if you didn't quit, you were "worthy" in his eyes and he'd give you a C at the end of the semester no matter what grades you actually got. Psycho.  Only 11 of 40 students actually finished the course.....me and 10 freshman finance majors (I couldn't drop, as I needed the credits and that course specifically to complete my business minor)

But yeah, then the Jets drafted 2 great O-linemen and the the rest of the day didn't seem so bad.

Sometimes I just have to stop and remember to tell myself that some people are just WAAAAAAY more casual about sports than I am.

I dont know that much about football. I never played it (other than 2 years of peewee), never coached it, etc. But I still know like 20X more than the average person who calls themselves a fan. That's just the way things are.

I LOVE Ferguson. Dude was an incredibly solid player and his durability was insane (I believe he only technically missed one snap his whole career and it was on a trick play). But yeah, not a hall of famer.  Only 3 pro-bowls, no all-pro teams. Was probably never a top 2-3 tackle in the league, no super bowls (not that team titles should be a defining thing, but they do help). And the fact that he retired relatively early (only played 10 years) doesn't help.

Nothing but love for the guy, but he's just not quite on that level. I remember the day they drafted him and Mangold so vividly. It was my senior year of college and, even though it was a Saturday, I had to wake up crazy early to re-take an exam for my "Intro to finance" class. The professor was a lunatic (tenured chair of the department, so he couldn't be touched) who thought it was his job to fail as many "non deserving" students as possible, so he always gave an impossible first exam that everyone failed. He offered a re-take, but only if you showed up for extra help with his TA every Tuesday night for the rest of the semester. Basically, he'd fail you the first time but if you didn't quit, you were "worthy" in his eyes and he'd give you a C at the end of the semester no matter what grades you actually got. Psycho.  Only 11 of 40 students actually finished the course.....me and 10 freshman finance majors (I couldn't drop, as I needed the credits and that course specifically to complete my business minor)

But yeah, then the Jets drafted 2 great O-linemen and the the rest of the day didn't seem so bad.
Brick was a great Jet and is durability was incredible. I just don't think he's a Hall of Famer and you laid out a few reasons why.

We've been so devoid of legitimate top 10 talent respective of position for the entirety of our franchise, that it's not a surprise these people get a completely inflated overall perspective when we do 'hit' on someone.  Personally, I thought Mangold was closer to a HOF than Brick, but hadn't really considered either.  Revis is probably our only shoe-in HOF in franchise history.

ETA: respect to Curtis Martin obviously.

We've been so devoid of legitimate top 10 talent respective of position for the entirety of our franchise, that it's not a surprise these people get a completely inflated overall perspective when we do 'hit' on someone.  Personally, I thought Mangold was closer to a HOF than Brick, but hadn't really considered either.  Revis is probably our only shoe-in HOF in franchise history.
And honestly......I dont even want Revis anymore.

Dude squeezed the Jets for every single nickle, won a title for the freaking Patriots and then totally mailed it in when he came back.

Father time is undefeated, so you cant 100% blame Revis for not being a great corner at the end. Sometimes the speed just goes. But early career Revis was an incredible tackler (and obviously elite at reading the game from the defensive backfield) so I always assumed that he'd be able to pull a Rod Woodson/Charles Woodson and extend his career for a few years playing safety.  But it became pretty clear that Revis had ZERO interest in tackling at the end of this career. He'd made his money and just didn't care anymore.

So seriously....screw that guy.  Probably the most talented Jet of my lifetime, but give me Curtis Martin any day of the week.

Obviously there was no way the Jets could beat KC....but the awful coaching was on full display yesterday....going for FGS instead of TDs while knowing KC was going to put up a ton of pts....another exposure of not being able to adjust in the 2d half....not being able to get playmakers the ball...it goes on and on....

QB - Sam - its over Johnny....the kid is broken....looks terrible and making the decision even easier if they dont get Trevor....again its not his fault and I would bet on him having a solid career after sitting for a year in Pitt or Indy but he's toast in NY....what a shame.  

RB - more stellar coaching - Perrine actually looks like a player - why the hell are they still splitting time with Gore....he's been a great player but every carry he takes is an absolute waste and should be a fireable offense.  Give Perrine 20 carries per game here on out and have Johnson be change of pace as hes looked solid.  

WR - Gase has a love affair with Berrios for some reason - they should be running all the clear feature plays with Mims not this guy.....I swear its like Gase is giving the bird to JD and the fans

TE - Herndon - what a fall from grace....literally drops the pass or fumbles every time he touches the ball.....it's obviously in his head....id be featuring him as well to get him through this as he has talent....Griffin is a JAG and will be cut

OL - basically wipe the slate clean except Becton.  At least they have one spot covered for 10 yrs

DL - Q continues his ascent - very pleased to be wrong on him - he already looks better than Leo and its only yr 2...cant wait to cut Anderson and save $7M....what a terrible contract

LB - no impact plays....tough to see Williamson go but it was time....knee injury took away a bit but im sue he'll be much better in Pitt....not much of a haul but the right thing to do and he could help win a game so had to go lol

DB - what a mess.....corners getting toasted....Maye was meh....Davis did not look good but at least hes out there learning....

ST - new kicker looks decent....Mann has been a great late rd pick.  

Looking at KC I couldnt help wonder that Jet starters could make the KC starting lineup - came up with 2 - Q and Becton....depressing.   

I am still very concerned about the tank....I am convinced Jax will lose out....NE will not be a direct threat to losing out but I think Belichick hates the Jets so much that he will destroy their present on Monday pm national TV to humiliate them and then destroy their future by laying down the last week of the season to give Jax the #1 overall pick....he hates the Jets that much,  

In 8 games, the Jets have 7 TD's.....

Week 1- Crowder breaks a 70 yard screen pass

Week 2- Berrios in garbage time when the game was already decided

Week 3- Berrios again, but in the first quarter, so I'll count this one

Week 4- The Darnold fluke run and a Desir Pick 6 against a 3rd string QB.

Week 5- Crowder in the 3rd quarter. This one counts.

Week 6- Skunked

Week 7- Perine in the 2nd quarter. Counts

Week 8- all FG's

So in half a season, they have 7 TD's. 1 on defense, 2 fluky long plays, 1 in complete garbage time and 3 that I can actually count as legitimate.

So yeah, not good. #OffensiveGenius

Like the discussion on greatest Jets of modern post Namath era......distracts from the putridness....I cheated and did some combos to fit some more players in - also sure I missed a few but good for debate.  

1.  Revis - best overall talent but agree he is hard to like for the greed and wining with the Pats.  

2.  Curtis Martin - man I loved watching him run...guy was a warrior and a great person.  

3.  Mangold/Mawae - where Gb had Favre/Rodgers the Jets had a dynasty at center....these 2 were incredible and I hate watching the current turnstyle the past few yrs

4.  Brick - set it and forget it - definitely short career and not quite all world but loved having a LT that never missed a game and was as solid as they come.....hope Becton can have a career like this.  

5.  Joe Klecko - the heart of the sack exchange - so versatile on the DL....hard nosed player and leader.  Take him over the flashy Gastineau any day.  

6.  Wayne Chrbet - Keyshawn should have been this spot but he got shipped out...Wayne took over and had such a stellar career for a walk on....so many 3rd down conversions and tough catches in traffic.  

7.  Freeman McNeil - quick and solid - would get a ton of carries and just keep churning - great RB.  

8.  Wesley Walker/Al Toon - while Wesley had the better career its tough to separate them to me - what a great tandem....wish they had playmakers like that!  If Toon didnt have multiple concussions he could have been in the HOF

9.  Mo Lewis/David Harris - put them together as long time LBs with solid careers

10.  Chad Pennington - took me yrs to fully appreciate Chad - he didnt have the strongest arm to begin with but Im convinced he could have led the team to the championship if he didnt hurt his rotator cuff....that just sapped any chance of deep passes that he couldnt recover.  

Hon mention - Sean ellis, Mark Gastineau, Marty Lyons, Keyshawn, Marvin Powell, Lav Coles

How could you all not keep it close with the Chiefs today? 

I'm getting sick thinking about Trevor facing off vs the Phins 3 times a year. 
This is the Jets you do know that...yes? I'm not convinced yet that tho it could be risky, Lawrence will ever wear a Jet unie even if we have 1st overall.

I could easily see Lawrence pulling an Eli and saying he won't enter the draft if the Jets pick him. He'll demand they deal the pick which too be honest and I've said this a bunch, seeing the Jets have so many needs all over, if Douglass could get a motherload of a deal like the Cowboys got for Hershel Walker back in '89 or the RGIII haul that the Rams got from the Skins, I'd be in favor of not taking Lawrence and taking a bunch of #1's and 2's combine that with existing draft capital that is already here and voila....you build a football team kind of like how Miami has done it.

So long story short...I think there is a 50/50 chance your Fish won 't ever have to deal with Lawrence even once a year let alone two or three even if we secure the #1 overall. And even us getting #1 overall is no sure thing as we are the Jets yes? We can easily screw up a tank job.

If you get the time, check my scenario I painted a couple of posts ago about how the Jets will get f'd out of the #1 overall by none other than the hoodie himself...Bill Belichek....lol

Your not old enough to remember him but back in the late 70's to mid 80's when Jets finally got good again, Jets drafted and OT in the 1st round by the name of Marvin Powell out of USC.  Powell turned out to be a heck of a solid LT...one of the best in the league. He made 5 Pro Bowls and was named all-pro 3 times. He never made the HOF and likely won't.

D'Brick is this generations version of Marvin Powell as both are very similar players. Powell was excellent technique wise. He was very reliable as he never missed a game. Just a rock solid LT who was one of the better ones around but if it's the HOF we are talking about and D'Brick just like Powell just doesn't warrant induction.

If it were the Hall of the Very Good, than D'Brick just like Powell before him would deserve serious consideration. Heck I hope Becton could end up having a career like a D'Brick or Powell. If he does, at least that will be one position we don't have to worry about for a decade or so!

Your not old enough to remember him but back in the late 70's to mid 80's when Jets finally got good again, Jets drafted and OT in the 1st round by the name of Marvin Powell out of USC.  Powell turned out to be a heck of a solid LT...one of the best in the league. He made 5 Pro Bowls and was named all-pro 3 times. He never made the HOF and likely won't.

D'Brick is this generations version of Marvin Powell as both are very similar players. Powell was excellent technique wise. He was very reliable as he never missed a game. Just a rock solid LT who was one of the better ones around but if it's the HOF we are talking about and D'Brick just like Powell just doesn't warrant induction.

If it were the Hall of the Very Good, than D'Brick just like Powell before him would deserve serious consideration. Heck I hope Becton could end up having a career like a D'Brick or Powell. If he does, at least that will be one position we don't have to worry about for a decade or so!
Agreed - looking at my list again Powell should be much higher....I was a bit young when he played but he was a fantastic Tackle

Obviously there was no way the Jets could beat KC....but the awful coaching was on full display yesterday....going for FGS instead of TDs while knowing KC was going to put up a ton of pts....another exposure of not being able to adjust in the 2d half....not being able to get playmakers the ball...it goes on and on....

QB - Sam - its over Johnny....the kid is broken....looks terrible and making the decision even easier if they dont get Trevor....again its not his fault and I would bet on him having a solid career after sitting for a year in Pitt or Indy but he's toast in NY....what a shame.  

RB - more stellar coaching - Perrine actually looks like a player - why the hell are they still splitting time with Gore....he's been a great player but every carry he takes is an absolute waste and should be a fireable offense.  Give Perrine 20 carries per game here on out and have Johnson be change of pace as hes looked solid.  

WR - Gase has a love affair with Berrios for some reason - they should be running all the clear feature plays with Mims not this guy.....I swear its like Gase is giving the bird to JD and the fans

TE - Herndon - what a fall from grace....literally drops the pass or fumbles every time he touches the ball.....it's obviously in his head....id be featuring him as well to get him through this as he has talent....Griffin is a JAG and will be cut

OL - basically wipe the slate clean except Becton.  At least they have one spot covered for 10 yrs

DL - Q continues his ascent - very pleased to be wrong on him - he already looks better than Leo and its only yr 2...cant wait to cut Anderson and save $7M....what a terrible contract

LB - no impact plays....tough to see Williamson go but it was time....knee injury took away a bit but im sue he'll be much better in Pitt....not much of a haul but the right thing to do and he could help win a game so had to go lol

DB - what a mess.....corners getting toasted....Maye was meh....Davis did not look good but at least hes out there learning....

ST - new kicker looks decent....Mann has been a great late rd pick.  

Looking at KC I couldnt help wonder that Jet starters could make the KC starting lineup - came up with 2 - Q and Becton....depressing.   

I am still very concerned about the tank....I am convinced Jax will lose out....NE will not be a direct threat to losing out but I think Belichick hates the Jets so much that he will destroy their present on Monday pm national TV to humiliate them and then destroy their future by laying down the last week of the season to give Jax the #1 overall pick....he hates the Jets that much,  
Solid synopsis of the game yesterday and what's in store for the Jets going forward. It looks like you subscribe to my theory as well that Game 16, Belichek who never ever ever ever rests his starters will all of a sudden have this "epiphany" and sit them middle of 1st quarter of that game and Jets will "accidently" on purpose win costing them 1st overall.

It's almost a guarantee that that will be the buzz heading into that that final pivotal game and certainly afterwards depending upon how the hoodie plays it.

Like the discussion on greatest Jets of modern post Namath era......distracts from the putridness....I cheated and did some combos to fit some more players in - also sure I missed a few but good for debate.  

1.  Revis - best overall talent but agree he is hard to like for the greed and wining with the Pats.  

2.  Curtis Martin - man I loved watching him run...guy was a warrior and a great person.  

3.  Mangold/Mawae - where Gb had Favre/Rodgers the Jets had a dynasty at center....these 2 were incredible and I hate watching the current turnstyle the past few yrs

4.  Brick - set it and forget it - definitely short career and not quite all world but loved having a LT that never missed a game and was as solid as they come.....hope Becton can have a career like this.  

5.  Joe Klecko - the heart of the sack exchange - so versatile on the DL....hard nosed player and leader.  Take him over the flashy Gastineau any day.  

6.  Wayne Chrbet - Keyshawn should have been this spot but he got shipped out...Wayne took over and had such a stellar career for a walk on....so many 3rd down conversions and tough catches in traffic.  

7.  Freeman McNeil - quick and solid - would get a ton of carries and just keep churning - great RB.  

8.  Wesley Walker/Al Toon - while Wesley had the better career its tough to separate them to me - what a great tandem....wish they had playmakers like that!  If Toon didnt have multiple concussions he could have been in the HOF

9.  Mo Lewis/David Harris - put them together as long time LBs with solid careers

10.  Chad Pennington - took me yrs to fully appreciate Chad - he didnt have the strongest arm to begin with but Im convinced he could have led the team to the championship if he didnt hurt his rotator cuff....that just sapped any chance of deep passes that he couldnt recover.  

Hon mention - Sean ellis, Mark Gastineau, Marty Lyons, Keyshawn, Marvin Powell, Lav Coles
You pretty much hit on most of the best post-Namath Jets ever...solid job!. The only name or two I'd have put on this list at least in the Honorable Mention section would be Kenny O'Brien who as maligned as he was, unfairly I might add, due to the comparisons  too Marino for the obvious reasons which O'Brien had no control of, he actually had a pretty solid career as a Jet and is probably the 2nd best QB behind Namath the Jets ever had.

Now don't forget, it's not like the Jets have exactly been Quarterback U over the years so O'Brien fairs very well compared too the rest. I would toss Vinny and Pennington into the mix but they didn't play long enough so I have to toss them out. And tho he threw a bit too many INT's for my liking, Richard Todd was probably right behind O'Brien as far as best Jet QB's ever. He could have been so much better tho.

Anyways, the other name I might  have included was Micky Schuler who for a 5 year span back in the 80's was the closest thing to Travis Kelce that the Jets have ever had and knowing our luck probably ever will. He was really good and so clutch. Shuler to me is the best TE in Jets history with the only one or two who could sniff his jock being Jerome Barkum and Richard Castor. 

BB's backups can probably still beat our starters.  Even if BB tanks that last game, we still have a secret weapon: Adam Gase. When you're down by 21 or more, make sure to throw a WR screen for a yard when you need 9 yards. Then go for that FG attempt. You only need 6 more possessions with 10 minutes to go. It's what Gase's analytics tell him to do. 

Even if the Jets don't get the first overall pick, Fields looks pretty damn good for a consolation prize.

You pretty much hit on most of the best post-Namath Jets ever...solid job!. The only name or two I'd have put on this list at least in the Honorable Mention section would be Kenny O'Brien who as maligned as he was, unfairly I might add, due to the comparisons  too Marino for the obvious reasons which O'Brien had no control of, he actually had a pretty solid career as a Jet and is probably the 2nd best QB behind Namath the Jets ever had.

Now don't forget, it's not like the Jets have exactly been Quarterback U over the years so O'Brien fairs very well compared too the rest. I would toss Vinny and Pennington into the mix but they didn't play long enough so I have to toss them out. And tho he threw a bit too many INT's for my liking, Richard Todd was probably right behind O'Brien as far as best Jet QB's ever. He could have been so much better tho.

Anyways, the other name I might  have included was Micky Schuler who for a 5 year span back in the 80's was the closest thing to Travis Kelce that the Jets have ever had and knowing our luck probably ever will. He was really good and so clutch. Shuler to me is the best TE in Jets history with the only one or two who could sniff his jock being Jerome Barkum and Richard Castor. 
I really should have listed Kenny O...he got a very bad rap mostly because he was picked ahead of Marino which wasnt his fault. The guy was a gunslinger and if they surrounded him with a good OL he could have been fantastic.  Instead they let him get crushed week in and out but he still was pretty good for a nice stretch.  Probably top 3 Jets all time QB behind Namath and Chad.....wow lol

You may be right - and if that happens they should play Morgan instead of Flacco.  Whats the point of watching Flacco hand it off to Gore?  Let's call Jacksonville on benching Minshew and raise them with Morgan.....he was a 4th rd pick....may as well see if he can do anything.....problem is Jets are notorious for not embarrassing themselves on picks like this so even though it makes all the sense to see what he can do - I expect him to be hidden ala Hackenburg and shoving Flacco out there for us all to get furious.....

You may be right - and if that happens they should play Morgan instead of Flacco.  Whats the point of watching Flacco hand it off to Gore?  Let's call Jacksonville on benching Minshew and raise them with Morgan.....he was a 4th rd pick....may as well see if he can do anything.....problem is Jets are notorious for not embarrassing themselves on picks like this so even though it makes all the sense to see what he can do - I expect him to be hidden ala Hackenburg and shoving Flacco out there for us all to get furious.....
Gase himself should quarterback :)

-QG

I really should have listed Kenny O...he got a very bad rap mostly because he was picked ahead of Marino which wasnt his fault. The guy was a gunslinger and if they surrounded him with a good OL he could have been fantastic.  Instead they let him get crushed week in and out but he still was pretty good for a nice stretch.  Probably top 3 Jets all time QB behind Namath and Chad.....wow lol
You hit on pretty much all of them. The thing is the Jets had a very good O-line back than for O'Brien. The reason he was getting pulverized was more because he might have been the most immobile QB in NFL history. Yes a bit of hyperbole by me there but in all seriousness, Joe Flacco who is a statue looks like Lamar Jackson compared to O'Brien when it comes to moving around the pocket. O'Brien tho was smart as hell, had a cannon for an arm and he had excellent footwork otherwise he wouldn't have been as good as he was.

We'll have to agree to disagree on #3 on the Jet QB list as I'll go with Richard Todd over Pennington who didn't play enough for me to qualify tho I can see why you might rank him there.

Some other honorable mentions

James Hasty, Victor Green, Aaron Glenn, Mickey Schuler 

I would like to add Dennis Byrd to the list. Too short of a career, but I would add him for sentimental reasons.

And good to see Klecko on the list. He should be in the Hall of Fame. Criminally underrated.

Now where is that Bottom 10 list. We can probably fill one out by decade with our draft history.

You hit on pretty much all of them. The thing is the Jets had a very good O-line back than for O'Brien. The reason he was getting pulverized was more because he might have been the most immobile QB in NFL history. Yes a bit of hyperbole by me there but in all seriousness, Joe Flacco who is a statue looks like Lamar Jackson compared to O'Brien when it comes to moving around the pocket. O'Brien tho was smart as hell, had a cannon for an arm and he had excellent footwork otherwise he wouldn't have been as good as he was.

We'll have to agree to disagree on #3 on the Jet QB list as I'll go with Richard Todd over Pennington who didn't play enough for me to qualify tho I can see why you might rank him there.
Richard Todd was under rated as well - should have gotten them to the Super Bowl is Shula didnt flat out cheat.  I just think Pennington was a better player by a tad....

Speaking of Chad - I met him at a signing last year and asked him if he should go into coaching.....he has kids so its not good timing but he seemed interested...I think he would be ab excellent coach down the line - hope he breaks in with the jets

Hasty and Aaron Glen were 2 of the best CBs in team history - for his height Glenn was really good...not sure he could be the same now with all the tall WRS......Hasty was solid but I remember him getting flagged constantly lol

Victor Green made a ton of big plays - Have him as the best safety over Jamal who wasnt here long enough

Mickey Shuler - really good TE - best in team history - even after drafting 3 in the 1st rd.  

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
Kiddnets said:
Richard Todd was under rated as well - should have gotten them to the Super Bowl is Shula didnt flat out cheat.  I just think Pennington was a better player by a tad....

Speaking of Chad - I met him at a signing last year and asked him if he should go into coaching.....he has kids so its not good timing but he seemed interested...I think he would be ab excellent coach down the line - hope he breaks in with the jets
Funny thing about Todd was he really wasn't all that underrated. In fact, it was the opposite as most Jet fans at the time believed that due to Todd being a #1 pick and coming out of Alabama, this guy could be the 2nd coming of Namath. So there was a ton of hype about Todd and he struggled for the most part his first couple of years. #### I recall we had a backup Matt Robinson who took over for Todd when he got hurt and after playing really well, there were alot of Jet fans who thought that Robinson should be the starter over Todd.

Walt Michaels even announced he was the starter but Robinson was terrible as the clock struck midnight for him and Todd got his gig back as the starter and that's when he took off as Todd has 3 year run or so of being one of the better QB's in the AFC for sure if not the league.

So all in all Todd was pretty good but for me, he seemed like he underachieved cause this guy had some  serious  talent. He just couldn't stay healthy and his decision making at times was head scratching. Sound familiar? lol

Kiddnets said:
Hasty and Aaron Glen were 2 of the best CBs in team history - for his height Glenn was really good...not sure he could be the same now with all the tall WRS......Hasty was solid but I remember him getting flagged constantly lol

Victor Green made a ton of big plays - Have him as the best safety over Jamal who wasnt here long enough

Mickey Shuler - really good TE - best in team history - even after drafting 3 in the 1st rd.  
Yeah I had mentioned Shuler in my original comments as he along with O'Brien were the two guys I'd have added to your excellent list.

Schuler as I said previously was the closest thing we have ever had that even remotely resembles what Travis Kelce is like for the Chiefs. 

He couldn't block for #### but man Schuler had great hands and he had some pretty nice speed for a TE. He was also very clutch as he made the tough catches when the Jets needed them. If we could ever draft a TE that could be even 75% of what Mickey Schuler was, we'd be in  great shape at that position. It certainly doesn't look like Chris Herndon will which is a damn shame seeing it really looked during his rookie year, he could approach the effectiveness of a Mickey Schuler. That ship has sailed tho as Herndon looks like he's close to being cut material.

Revis, Martin, Klecko for me...

Klecko was my favorite player, my friends in my longtime fantasy league gave me a Klecko Jersey 5 years back at year 25 as a Commish thankyou...
That's pretty damn awesome. Too bad Klecko had so many friggen injuries as he would have been a no doubt about it HOF inductee.....he was that good.!

As it is, he's really close to being a Hall of Famer in my book. 

But as I said, all them damn injuries will keep him out. But what a warrior he was and unlike Gastineau who was pretty much an egotistical all about me idiot albeit a talented idiot, Klecko was all about the Jets and was so selfless.

John Riggins is my all time favorite Jet but Klecko is a very very close 2nd.

Cotchery could probably get some honorable mention as well.  I instinctively wanted to throw Vilma in there - was shocked to realize he was only here for about 4 years.  Certainly could have been a cornerstone, but he got dumped to usher in the Rex era - which is sadly the best collective of teams in my lifetime (most of ours?)

I remember during that "run" it felt so out of nowhere, just getting hot at the right time.  I think we all knew we weren't good enough, but at least it felt like the team was progressing for a change, perhaps building into a consistent competitor.  And just like that, whatever window it was we were in, we got dropped kicked out of and locked out of the damn house.  If you would have told me a decade later, that that little stretch run of 2 years of not being good enough but at least having some hope was going to be the best stretch of Jet teams in my lifetime - I would've given it up right there.

In reference to the thread title, it's a bit unfair to Darnold moving on after only his rookie year and 2 years under Gase. He probably deserves another season considering. But with a new coach next year I agree they'll probably go with Lawrence if they can. I would hope Darnold at least gets a shot with another team.

Cotchery could probably get some honorable mention as well.  I instinctively wanted to throw Vilma in there - was shocked to realize he was only here for about 4 years.  Certainly could have been a cornerstone, but he got dumped to usher in the Rex era - which is sadly the best collective of teams in my lifetime (most of ours?)

I remember during that "run" it felt so out of nowhere, just getting hot at the right time.  I think we all knew we weren't good enough, but at least it felt like the team was progressing for a change, perhaps building into a consistent competitor.  And just like that, whatever window it was we were in, we got dropped kicked out of and locked out of the damn house.  If you would have told me a decade later, that that little stretch run of 2 years of not being good enough but at least having some hope was going to be the best stretch of Jet teams in my lifetime - I would've given it up right there.
yeah, from what I remember, Vilma led the league in tackles his 2nd year. But after they moved to the 3-4, his skill-set was  kinda neutralized and they moved on right afterwards.

That was my first cursed Jets jersey purchase. After that, it was Kerry Rhodes and Sanchez. So yeah.....I dont buy jerseys anymore....

Since the season's over already - thought I'd share a story about my brief time with the Jets.

In the offseason of 2007, I got the opportunity to a do a strength and conditioning internship with the Jets as part of my final semester at Hofstra in their exercise science department. I was there from March to July, right up to the players breaking before training camp.  In the world of strength and conditioning for football, the offseason program is arguably the most important time the SC staff has with the players, in terms of the ability to truly build the athletic properties they’ll need for the season. This is where the highest/heaviest volume of lifting and running is done, and the major portion of building the foundation that will [hopefully] get the players through the season as healthy and close to peak performance as possible.

This job entailed getting to the weight room at 5am every day to set up for the first of 3-4 workouts groups that would begin at 6am, and then aiding the full time staff in some elements of coaching/logistics within each workout.  Each group would be broken down roughly by size – so OL/DL, WR/ CB, LB/TE/RB/FB.  Guys would come in and lift then run, or run then lift, depending on what we were specifically doing for the day.  Each session was usually 90 or so minutes, leaving enough time for us to scramble to reset the room up for the next group who was coming in.  After the draft, there was a rookie group that was also incorporated into our schedule.  That year, the rookie group featured Revis and Harris (and even Danny Woodhead now that I remember) – which was pretty cool.  

When OTAs started, the team would go out and practice in shells a few times a week, which the strength staff would then work the off the field workouts around accordingly.  Before every OTA practice, there would be a 5-10 min walkthrough, which would be a few different half speed drills that would often see the coaches and other team personnel jump in to fill a few spots.  I remember getting to throw a hat on, and run a few routes against Revis who was jamming me at the line.  Other times I would keep myself busy during those practices shagging balls for Mike Nugent and Ben Graham.   As an unpaid intern on the strength staff, I didn’t have any direct responsibilities once those practices started, so it was more stay out of the way and look busy at all times.  As soon as practice ended, it was right back into our workout schedules for the rest of the day.  

Couple of highlights that stick out to me:

A young Justin Miller coming up to myself and Rick Lyle (asst SC coach at the time) in the cafeteria one Monday telling us about his weekend that involved him, Cadillac Wiliams, Ronnie Brown and some other guys dropping 50k in a strip club.  The look on Rick’s face hearing that story, shaking his head and telling Justin “save your money dude”still sticks out to me to this day.

Dan Quinn coming into the weightroom to drink a s***ton of preworkout drink before practices to get himself fired up.  Bryan Cox was his asst DL coach and an absolute riot. I remember one day the rookie DL got into some trouble and had to run a few laps because they were given a trivia question by Quinn and Cox to name the 4 members of the Sack Exchange.  They asked Rick for help, and he told them my name instead of Abdul Salaam lol.

Mangini on the treadmill in the mornings running at a moderate pace (trying to lose weight during that time) while an extremely unathletic Mike Tannenbaum walked slowly on the treadmill next to him.

Getting to meet Curtis Martin and show him how to do a few exercises on this piece of equipment called blast straps.  

Thomas Jones was there that year.  Guy was an absolute brick s***house – although I remember at the time being a little disappointed with his strength relative to how jacked he was.  Guy didn’t eat any sugar, which was impressive considering the whole facility is covered in Gatorade product, and the cafeteria had all the garbage in it you could want.

Brick and Mangold were both great dudes.  They were rookies the year prior.  Brick was from a few towns over from me so we knew some mutual people.  Nick and I would always communicate in Will Ferrell movie references.  There was a stretch of time where my responsibility before every OL/DL workout was to find Brick and make sure he was eating a rice crispy treat and drinking 2 muscle milks.  They were desperately trying to thicken him up and eventually it worked.  

Leon Washington, Erik Coleman, Eric Smith and Brad Smith were the best athletes on that team, and IMO hardest workers in the weight room.

Bryan Thomas – massive, massive, massive dog.  Guy would legitimately find ways to physically walk out of the building during workouts, and come back a few minutes later in order to miss out on some of his ‘work sets.’  It became like a joke.  One day we caught him, and the head SC (Sal Alosi) just goes “what happened to you man? You used to be a hard worker.” Thomas looks at him just shakes his head and goes “I got paid.”  

Breaking news?

-------------------------

Quinnen Williams

@QuinnenWilliams

I want to thank everyone for their constant support. I have a big announcement, but I wanted you guys to hear it from ME first and not someone else. Go to my IG story for details: @ thequinnenwilliams

2:38 PM · Nov 3, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Since the season's over already - thought I'd share a story about my brief time with the Jets.

In the offseason of 2007, I got the opportunity to a do a strength and conditioning internship with the Jets as part of my final semester at Hofstra in their exercise science department. I was there from March to July, right up to the players breaking before training camp.  In the world of strength and conditioning for football, the offseason program is arguably the most important time the SC staff has with the players, in terms of the ability to truly build the athletic properties they’ll need for the season. This is where the highest/heaviest volume of lifting and running is done, and the major portion of building the foundation that will [hopefully] get the players through the season as healthy and close to peak performance as possible.

This job entailed getting to the weight room at 5am every day to set up for the first of 3-4 workouts groups that would begin at 6am, and then aiding the full time staff in some elements of coaching/logistics within each workout.  Each group would be broken down roughly by size – so OL/DL, WR/ CB, LB/TE/RB/FB.  Guys would come in and lift then run, or run then lift, depending on what we were specifically doing for the day.  Each session was usually 90 or so minutes, leaving enough time for us to scramble to reset the room up for the next group who was coming in.  After the draft, there was a rookie group that was also incorporated into our schedule.  That year, the rookie group featured Revis and Harris (and even Danny Woodhead now that I remember) – which was pretty cool.  

When OTAs started, the team would go out and practice in shells a few times a week, which the strength staff would then work the off the field workouts around accordingly.  Before every OTA practice, there would be a 5-10 min walkthrough, which would be a few different half speed drills that would often see the coaches and other team personnel jump in to fill a few spots.  I remember getting to throw a hat on, and run a few routes against Revis who was jamming me at the line.  Other times I would keep myself busy during those practices shagging balls for Mike Nugent and Ben Graham.   As an unpaid intern on the strength staff, I didn’t have any direct responsibilities once those practices started, so it was more stay out of the way and look busy at all times.  As soon as practice ended, it was right back into our workout schedules for the rest of the day.  

Couple of highlights that stick out to me:

A young Justin Miller coming up to myself and Rick Lyle (asst SC coach at the time) in the cafeteria one Monday telling us about his weekend that involved him, Cadillac Wiliams, Ronnie Brown and some other guys dropping 50k in a strip club.  The look on Rick’s face hearing that story, shaking his head and telling Justin “save your money dude”still sticks out to me to this day.

Dan Quinn coming into the weightroom to drink a s***ton of preworkout drink before practices to get himself fired up.  Bryan Cox was his asst DL coach and an absolute riot. I remember one day the rookie DL got into some trouble and had to run a few laps because they were given a trivia question by Quinn and Cox to name the 4 members of the Sack Exchange.  They asked Rick for help, and he told them my name instead of Abdul Salaam lol.

Mangini on the treadmill in the mornings running at a moderate pace (trying to lose weight during that time) while an extremely unathletic Mike Tannenbaum walked slowly on the treadmill next to him.

Getting to meet Curtis Martin and show him how to do a few exercises on this piece of equipment called blast straps.  

Thomas Jones was there that year.  Guy was an absolute brick s***house – although I remember at the time being a little disappointed with his strength relative to how jacked he was.  Guy didn’t eat any sugar, which was impressive considering the whole facility is covered in Gatorade product, and the cafeteria had all the garbage in it you could want.

Brick and Mangold were both great dudes.  They were rookies the year prior.  Brick was from a few towns over from me so we knew some mutual people.  Nick and I would always communicate in Will Ferrell movie references.  There was a stretch of time where my responsibility before every OL/DL workout was to find Brick and make sure he was eating a rice crispy treat and drinking 2 muscle milks.  They were desperately trying to thicken him up and eventually it worked.  

Leon Washington, Erik Coleman, Eric Smith and Brad Smith were the best athletes on that team, and IMO hardest workers in the weight room.

Bryan Thomas – massive, massive, massive dog.  Guy would legitimately find ways to physically walk out of the building during workouts, and come back a few minutes later in order to miss out on some of his ‘work sets.’  It became like a joke.  One day we caught him, and the head SC (Sal Alosi) just goes “what happened to you man? You used to be a hard worker.” Thomas looks at him just shakes his head and goes “I got paid.”  
After reading this, I feel like I went too church as now I know all the little details about that Mangini led Jets squad. Thx for sharing...very cool stuff!!

I just listened to JD on Kay's show and I am horrified....completely doubled down on Gase and Darnold....now I wasnt expecting him to throw them under the bus but I expected some wiggle room.....we may need to come to grips that they may pass on Lawrence and keep Gase even if 0-16......the thought is just unreal.  

I just listened to JD on Kay's show and I am horrified....completely doubled down on Gase and Darnold....now I wasnt expecting him to throw them under the bus but I expected some wiggle room.....we may need to come to grips that they may pass on Lawrence and keep Gase even if 0-16......the thought is just unreal.  
I heard same but I don’t think he really has much choice other than to take that stance unless Gase is to be fired tomorrow. As to Sam, why would he want to further destroy his confidence or trade value?

I do have some fear of course that Gase will be back. I truly think I may be done with this team if that happens and I’d imagine others would feel the same. I just can’t imagine how they would hope to sell tickets if Gase is retained.

I heard same but I don’t think he really has much choice other than to take that stance unless Gase is to be fired tomorrow. As to Sam, why would he want to further destroy his confidence or trade value?

I do have some fear of course that Gase will be back. I truly think I may be done with this team if that happens and I’d imagine others would feel the same. I just can’t imagine how they would hope to sell tickets if Gase is retained.
They are 0-8 and a national joke....he never once mentioned coaching.....supported Gase.......completely blamed the injuries and lack of depth which he took responsibility...could have supported Sm but still give wiggle room saying he'll evaluate at the end of the season..he flat out said hes the future QB of the Jets....just dumb and Im afraid hes going to sell this version to our moron owner....again there wasnt one bit of "this is unacceptable and we'll evaluate everything...no one is safe"....it was more of a "give us time and Gase and I will fix this" - OMG

Completely agree on being done if they keep Gase....they will face a rebellion of fans but they are stupid enough to do it.....2 coaches that have playoff wins have been fired while Gase stays....

After reading this, I feel like I went too church as now I know all the little details about that Mangini led Jets squad. Thx for sharing...very cool stuff!!
I might be biased due to the [brief] time I spent with that staff, but I always felt like Mangini kind of got a raw deal.  Talking heads have argued how the Jets have no consistency and are constantly changes coaches/systems - and while this is true, I don't think we can argue that Rex getting 6 years and Bowles getting 4 was probably ample time to determine that they truly weren't the guys.  Looking back at the Mangini era, he had a 10-6 season with a playoff appearance, a 4-12 2007 season that was riddled with injury especially on the line IIRC, and a 9-7 2008 season that saw them miss the playoffs and Mangini get fired.  3 seasons.  2/3 winning records.  Along with Tanny, built a very strong core that ushered in the Rex Ryan AFC Championship Game appearance dynasty.  Put together a good staff too - Schottenheimer (who we all seemed to hate at the time, yet has stood the test of time as a relatively successful NFL OC) Bob Sutton at DC who would go on to take that role for a much better than us KC Chiefs for a while, Dan Quinn carved out a pretty successful HC career (and was DC in Seattle after the Jets stop leading into it) and hell, even Brian Daboll was on that staff and he might end up getting some HC interviews soon.  Would have been curious to see what Mangini could have done here with another year or 2, but he was the victim of taking on the Belichickian personality with the media without any of the clout to back it up - and that cost him in the end.

I might be biased due to the [brief] time I spent with that staff, but I always felt like Mangini kind of got a raw deal.  Talking heads have argued how the Jets have no consistency and are constantly changes coaches/systems - and while this is true, I don't think we can argue that Rex getting 6 years and Bowles getting 4 was probably ample time to determine that they truly weren't the guys.  Looking back at the Mangini era, he had a 10-6 season with a playoff appearance, a 4-12 2007 season that was riddled with injury especially on the line IIRC, and a 9-7 2008 season that saw them miss the playoffs and Mangini get fired.  3 seasons.  2/3 winning records.  Along with Tanny, built a very strong core that ushered in the Rex Ryan AFC Championship Game appearance dynasty.  Put together a good staff too - Schottenheimer (who we all seemed to hate at the time, yet has stood the test of time as a relatively successful NFL OC) Bob Sutton at DC who would go on to take that role for a much better than us KC Chiefs for a while, Dan Quinn carved out a pretty successful HC career (and was DC in Seattle after the Jets stop leading into it) and hell, even Brian Daboll was on that staff and he might end up getting some HC interviews soon.  Would have been curious to see what Mangini could have done here with another year or 2, but he was the victim of taking on the Belichickian personality with the media without any of the clout to back it up - and that cost him in the end.
From what I heard Mangini rubbed alot of people the wrong way - you cant act like Belichick without the rings......probably would have been a really good coach if he was more like himself. 

Do you know who their backups are? Minshew has his limitations for sure but he's able to move the ball and has the mental fortitude to win games. There's no chance the Jags are better off starting Mike Glennon or Jake Luton in 2020.
Minshew was a 6th round draft pick in 2019. Luton was a 6th round draft pick in 2020. Why are you convinced Luton cannot possibly do what Minshew did and help the Jaguars win one game?

Minshew was a 6th round draft pick in 2019. Luton was a 6th round draft pick in 2020. Why are you convinced Luton cannot possibly do what Minshew did and help the Jaguars win one game?
I’m not convinced but logic dictates that 6th round QBs will struggle as rookies. I’m not one that thinks one outlier begets another necessarily.

But sure, of course Glennon or Luton could win another game in the second half of the season. To me Minshew increases those chances though.

I’m not convinced but logic dictates that 6th round QBs will struggle as rookies. I’m not one that thinks one outlier begets another necessarily.

But sure, of course Glennon or Luton could win another game in the second half of the season. To me Minshew increases those chances though.
I think Jacksonville goes 1-15, 2-14, or 3-13. I think this whether Luton starts the rest of the games or not. Minshew is limited. I saw him in college and figured him as a backup in the NFL. I have never seen Luton play. If Luton totally blows, he still might have that one game where everything aligns, he throws 27 passes without an interception, and the team wins 19-16. If that happens, they are not topping the Jets in the futility department. I cannot envision a scenario where the Jets win two games.

They are 0-8 and a national joke....he never once mentioned coaching.....supported Gase.......completely blamed the injuries and lack of depth which he took responsibility...could have supported Sm but still give wiggle room saying he'll evaluate at the end of the season..he flat out said hes the future QB of the Jets....just dumb and Im afraid hes going to sell this version to our moron owner....again there wasnt one bit of "this is unacceptable and we'll evaluate everything...no one is safe"....it was more of a "give us time and Gase and I will fix this" - OMG

Completely agree on being done if they keep Gase....they will face a rebellion of fans but they are stupid enough to do it.....2 coaches that have playoff wins have been fired while Gase stays....
Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I don't see any issues with what Douglas said knowing that 1. H has no real say in what happens to Gase and still needs to work with him and 2. He may have no choice but to keep Sam around (in the rare chance that the Jets win some games) and wants to preserve Sam's trade value.

I don't for a second believe he really believes Gase is part of the solution and if so, fire Douglas as well then.

Watched the Mims highlights. Didn't see what everyone else is seeing. I saw a ball that basically landed in his hands while he was falling back. No swim move to get around the defender to the inside, nor a high point of the ball. Just sort of fell into his hands while he fell backwards.

He looks gangly and awkward. That is all I've got today. 

Again, I hope to all heaven he doesn't bust, both for the good of the Jets and good of my 2.04 that I picked him with in a dynasty league (Tee Higgins And Brandon Aiyuk were still available. Oof.)

Users who are viewing this thread