What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (14 Viewers)

If his dad is any indication that's surely a possibility.
I'm not going to lie. When they had the cam at his house, my first reaction was "Jesus, Becton is out of shape". My other friends thought the same. Then we all laughed hysterically.

Still, he might be a decent pick in the third or 4th round. You can never have enough o-line depth.

There's still a lot of WRs left - I don't think they need to panic and they could use all the picks they have (including taking another WR with that 4 they would save). This roster has a lot of holes. 
All the mocks that I have seen (not that it really matters) have shown only 2-3 WRs taken before our pick. The though process is that there are lots of WRs left, so teams will go with the few really good players left from other positions. They can always grab a WR in third and 4th rounds.  Lots of RBs, DBs, and linemen left in the second round.

Totally thought the same thing for half a second re: Becton's dad. My dad and I had a good laugh about it over text.

NYRAGE said:
This is a good Jags article that talks about our proposed trade with them and their other trade options. Atlanta wanted to move up for a CB. TB wanted to move up for a tackle. Not sure which one. Jacksonville really wanted to make the trade with us.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001110981/article/henderson-chaisson-spearhead-jaguars-youth-movement
good article - a 4th to move up from #11 to #9 is a pretty low price to pay but JD did it right by staying put.....really happy with the new GM....now if Gase can start being a decent HC.....

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini expects No. 11 overall pick Mekhi Becton to start at left tackle.

That's not all that surprising, but the Jets have a ton of options after adding several linemen this offseason. Cimini sees the line shaking out as Becton at left tackle, LG Alex Lewis, C Connor McGovern, RG Greg Van Roten, and RT George Fant. That's four new starters, with Lewis the only holdover from last season. In this scenario, RT Chuma Edoga and RG Brian Winters head to the bench. Winters' roster spot should be shaky, as he's scheduled to collect over $7 million in 2020.

A couple of people have reported that the Jets are looking to trade up in the second round. If so, I hope we trade down elsewhere to recoup picks.

A couple of people have reported that the Jets are looking to trade up in the second round. If so, I hope we trade down elsewhere to recoup picks.
I see 4 or 5  WRs I'd be fine with. It seems unlikely that many will go in the top 11 picks so I really hope they don't trade up. Any picks they move can be used to fill the roster. 

I see 4 or 5  WRs I'd be fine with. It seems unlikely that many will go in the top 11 picks so I really hope they don't trade up. Any picks they move can be used to fill the roster. 
Jets have the 16th pick in the 2d rd.....they swap spots with same record teams and go to the end and work way back up again....thats why I wouldnt mind a trade up if 3 or so go in 1st few picks....if JD was ok with a 4th moving up 2 spots in the 1st rd he should be ok using it to get a WR...probably be able to move up 7-8 spots.  

Wow, Douglas. This is the first time I remember a Jets GM being so in touch with the fans. He’s done everything we could have wanted.

Not only didn’t he need to trade up. He got us an extra third round pick.

Totally admit i was fuming at the trade down as i really wanted mims at 48.....gutsy move that paid off....grt job JD....now 3 3rd rders!  
I didn’t love the trade down but understood it. It was great value. I kept talking my boss off the ledge in texts. Once they got Mims anyway it was like getting a free third rounder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone drafting Zach Moss in dynasty drafts where the poor souls at PFF that @NYRAGE loves an awful lot had him first off of the board a month ago? They were seriously pimping their stats that said he was the best back at RB.

They loved his missed tackles like Montgomery had. :lmao:

Hey boyz...long time no talkie. I trust everyone and your families are safe and sound as we all deal with this zombie apocalypse crap.  First off, I knew and I told you guys when Douglass was hired, I knew we finally had the right guy finally in charge and besides all the moves he's made the past 10 months or so during the season and in FA,  the past two days at the draft have shown why that confidence that not just myself but some others in here have been warranted.

His having worked under one of the most successful GM's in the NFL Ozzie Newsome and helping them win a SB.  Douglass being a very significant behind the scenes guy evaluating talent in Philly while helping them also to win a SB showed he was ready for this the most important moment of his career which is orchestrating the Jets draft,  and man oh man he has delivered.

What a phenomenal job this draft has gone so far and I don't expect it not continue to go this way . His trade down of 11 spots with Seatle, all by its self which in reality got the Jets 3 extra picks PLUS they end up getting the guy they could have gotten at 48 anyways in Mims was simply brilliant. That my friends is what great GM's do. It's not something tho that Jet GM's have done, which makes what Douglass did even that much more  amazing to see. And how it worked out...my lord...unreal!.

Bottom line peeps IN JOE I TRUST and I do believe we just might have the best GM we've ever had which is just as much a referendum on how horrific past GM's the Jets have had as well as how prepared Douglass is for this gig. Never ever have felt this confident in a Jet GM in almost 50 years and that's not hyperbole...it's just the facts!

Anyways here's how I look at the Jets draft thus far after two days.

I'd give the Becton pick a solid B+ as Sam should have his LT protector for hopefully the next decade. I was thinking we were going to take Wirfs but Douglass obviously liked Becton better which is good enough for me and should be for all Jet fans.

I'd give the Mims pick an A+ considering they could have got him at 48 and instead got him at 59 while adding a 3rd rounds pick...simply a brilliant move by Douglass.  This move alone makes Douglass the best GM the Jets have had since Tannenbaum's early years on the job.

I'd give the Davis pick a B. Solid insurance in case Adams or Mayes goes. One of them won't be with us after this year so this is solid insurance in case Adams continues his being an ### clown or if Mayes gets hurt or if Douglass doesn't want to re sign him after this year. Davis has serious talent and he could play corner for us if need be. Like the pick.

I'd give the Zuniga pick a C+. I don't know much about him but from what I read, it sounds a tad like our Politte pick last year. The only thing that makes me feel better about it is that its Douglass and not Mac this time who took him. Seeing I trust Douglass and never did Mac, I trust Zuniga will turn our a hell of alot better than Politte did who was a disaster.

Than Douglass trades out of the 3rd round with the 101st pick and deals it to the Pats for their 125th and 129th plus a 6th rounder next year. I love the stones on this guy. He's not afraid to deal with the Patriots first off tells me alot.He's not afraid to deal back in the draft which I love. And he once again gets more draft capital so now we have 3 4th rounders a 5th rounder and 3 6th rounders. 

So I'd give this move a solid B with upsides for better.

We have plenty of needs. I think Douglass gets another WR or two. He gets another DB and another OLineman or two. 

So overall I'd give the Jets draft a solid B+ so far. I think it's pretty obvious Douglass not surprisingly knows what he's doing as the Jets for first time in forever it seems, have a guy who we can trust that is not going to F up!. Have I mentioned IN JOE I TRUST yet? If not let me repeat IN JOE I TRUST....lol.

I know I've said alot but I haven't been here in awhile and I'm so stoked people what can I tell ya....I can't shut up!. When you've been a fan as long as I have been of this god forsaken cursed franchise which is going on almost 50 f'n years. And when you finally have a guy in charge that you are not embarrassed about and instead you are actually proud to be leading your team, well it's hard to not be excited. 

OK I'll shut up now.. I'm going B+ so far for our draft...what say you oh Jet brothers of mine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved the 1st 2 picks and the trade down gamble...in hindsigh

lol

the other 2 picks I would have preferred more  - but im trusting JD....

Davis was projected to be a late 1st or early 2d in many mocks....hes a speedster swiss army knife that can do a lot of things - reminds me of those NE DBs that kill the Jets year after year...I think the pick was made for G Will who will find many ways to get him on the field including finally a solid punt/kick returner.....most important hes insurance for if Jamal gets dealt or more likely if Maye leaves as they are not going to pay 2 safeties big $ - I dont love the position as I would have preferred another offensive position but I see the value.  

Zuninga pick I have no idea- still smarting from the last Florida DL who busted in the 3rd but not a good reason to not like him.....seems like a high upside big motor who gets to the QB and behind the LOS.  Ive seen him drafted in the late 3rd in most mocks but last yr he was very highly regarded but got hurt - could be a diamond in the rough on a much needed position 

trade down - I was annoyed because I stayed up to 11:46 only to see them trade....to the Pats no less....then sweat a few minutes praying they didnt just hand them a new Brady lol - 2 4ths and a 6th next yr is a good return.....

Love having so many picks - roster is bare and JD clearly wants to build through the draft - all these day 3 players will hopefully provide some depth and round up the roster....good job so far!  

All hail JD.  I love this draft. It's great to finally have a real GM.

I would have liked to have drafted another WR, but it's been a great draft with lots of values. I was really hoping to get that punter in the 5th round and he was still there in the 6th. That was the icing on the cake.

wow great day - filled some holes with some upside players.....love the OT, CB and punter - read mixed things about the RB and the CB traded for....but all in all very happy with the draft....like night and day from the last few yrs....

wow great day - filled some holes with some upside players.....love the OT, CB and punter - read mixed things about the RB and the CB traded for....but all in all very happy with the draft....like night and day from the last few yrs....
Only had to give up a seventh round pick to get a former second round CB. Low risk.

Douglas did a nice job. I’m not going to pretend I know about every player but I’ve heard good things about each guy. Perine, I’m not sure about and would have liked a more dynamic speed back but we’ll see.

Dr. Octopus said:
With 2 6’3” WRs with 4.3 speed on the outside, Crowder, Herndon and Griffin underneath, Bell in the backfield and a much improved o-line this is the year Darnold has to take a huge step forward into a star franchise QB. There’s no more excuses for him. Put up or get out time.
I don't know. It looks decent on paper, but:  Mims is a raw rookie. I'm not sure how well he will do in his rookie year. Herndon is always hurt going back to his college days. Griffin filled in nicely last year, but he also has an injury history. I'm high on Perriman, but he's not exactly proven either. I'll give Bell a pass for last year due to coming back from a year off and our o-line being crap.  Our o-line is completely new. There is a LOT OF RISK here.

It was interesting to see how JD drafted this week. He addressed our needs and added important depth. He helped both our offense and defense. You can tell that he's trying to build the team properly and with a long term view.  I still wish that he would have added another receiving weapon. I was hoping to get someone like Gibson, but Washington snatched him. 

It's great that we addressed the o-line. It should be a nice improvement from last season, but it's going to take time for a new o-line to gel and we won't have much training camp for that to happen in addition to working in a raw rookie WR and Perriman who is new to the offense. I don't think we're at a point where we say that Darnold has no excuses.  Maybe next year we'll add more weapons for him and that will be his true time to put up or get out.

Speaking of weapons, look at how other teams have supported their franchise or potential franchise QBs:

Drew Locke now has Sutton, Jeudy, Fant, and Hamler.

Josh Allen has Diggs, John Brown, Beasley, and they added 2 WRs and a RB.

Burrow already had weapons and they added Tee Higgins.

Lamar Jackson got M. Brown last year, a couple of good TEs, and RBs,  another couple of young WRs, plus they just added 2 more WRs and a RB.

The list goes on. It just shows you how terrible Maccagnan was. We had a potential franchise QB, but gave him no weapons or o-line. Shameful. At least we're on the right path now. It just might take longer than a year.

Yeah, I'm under no illusion that this team is all of a sudden going to be a contender, (I think they're going to need another year of this kind of depth building)  but  I like what they did this weekend. For the most part, it all seemed to make sense. I dont watch NEARLY enough college football to evaluate individual players, but every time a pick I was announced, I was at least able to say "yeah, I guess that works". Going back the last 10 years or so, pretty much every Jets draft had a WTF moment. I didn't feel that way this weekend.

I don't know. It looks decent on paper, but:  Mims is a raw rookie. I'm not sure how well he will do in his rookie year. Herndon is always hurt going back to his college days. Griffin filled in nicely last year, but he also has an injury history. I'm high on Perriman, but he's not exactly proven either. I'll give Bell a pass for last year due to coming back from a year off and our o-line being crap.  Our o-line is completely new. There is a LOT OF RISK here.

It was interesting to see how JD drafted this week. He addressed our needs and added important depth. He helped both our offense and defense. You can tell that he's trying to build the team properly and with a long term view.  I still wish that he would have added another receiving weapon. I was hoping to get someone like Gibson, but Washington snatched him. 

It's great that we addressed the o-line. It should be a nice improvement from last season, but it's going to take time for a new o-line to gel and we won't have much training camp for that to happen in addition to working in a raw rookie WR and Perriman who is new to the offense. I don't think we're at a point where we say that Darnold has no excuses.  Maybe next year we'll add more weapons for him and that will be his true time to put up or get out.

Speaking of weapons, look at how other teams have supported their franchise or potential franchise QBs:

Drew Locke now has Sutton, Jeudy, Fant, and Hamler.

Josh Allen has Diggs, John Brown, Beasley, and they added 2 WRs and a RB.

Burrow already had weapons and they added Tee Higgins.

Lamar Jackson got M. Brown last year, a couple of good TEs, and RBs,  another couple of young WRs, plus they just added 2 more WRs and a RB.

The list goes on. It just shows you how terrible Maccagnan was. We had a potential franchise QB, but gave him no weapons or o-line. Shameful. At least we're on the right path now. It just might take longer than a year.
I wasn’t trying to imply it will be the greatest offense ever - but if Darnold does not show significant progress I think it’s time to start pinning some blame on him instead of making excuses. We all believe in him (maybe out of desperation) but so far he’s really been a mixed bag.

Users who are viewing this thread