What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (7 Viewers)

Another very easy looking throw.  Well done.

2nd team d at best, but still. A really nice step tonight 
Yeah, lots of rollouts and quick hitters. What encouraged me were the two throws to Corey Davis. One on third and eight on the first drive, the other was the pocket movement dart that went for twenty-seven but traveled at least thirty-five on a rope in the air. 

That he also realizes that the men move faster than the ball in the pros is going to be huge for him. That's what the coaches were looking for out of him as well as film guys like Waldman. That was their big concern about him. That the jump in competition would mean less of those scrambling, off-platform throws downfield. 

Well, he just did that today. 

Consider this a really impressive first step. Darnold never did this but for the Dallas game. That was it from him. 

Yeah, lots of rollouts and quick hitters. What encouraged me were the two throws to Corey Davis. One on third and eight on the first drive, the other was the pocket movement dart that went for twenty-seven but traveled at least thirty-five on a rope in the air. 

That he also realizes that the men move faster than the ball in the pros is going to be huge for him. That's what the coaches were looking for out of him as well as film guys like Waldman. That was their big concern about him. That the jump in competition would mean less of those scrambling, off-platform throws downfield. 

Well, he just did that today. 

Consider this a really impressive first step. Darnold never did this but for the Dallas game. That was it from him. 
Feeling better and better about my investment based on observations like these.

Wow. Up in the middle of the night and the first thing I'm thinking of is a thirty-five yard laser off of one foot that was just money. 

Beautiful. Let's hope this is a harbinger of things to come. 

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
Do we dare get excited about Zach Wilson? This offense could be pretty good this year, especially with Elijah Moore back out there. 
Little too early given we were once this excited about Darnold, too. That said, there’s obviously a lot more reason to be optimistic with this coaching regime. And it’s certainly a nice jolt to end the week after the Lawson injury.

Little too early given we were once this excited about Darnold, too. That said, there’s obviously a lot more reason to be optimistic with this coaching regime. And it’s certainly a nice jolt to end the week after the Lawson injury.
Yeah absolutely. Any excitement I have is appropriately tempered. 

I’ve seen more talent out of Wilson this preseason than I saw in Darnold’s entire career. 

Do we dare get excited about Zach Wilson? This offense could be pretty good this year, especially with Elijah Moore back out there. 
There’s talent there. And he has more than he’s shown, since it’s still been kind of a vanilla playbook & we haven’t even seen him run at all. 

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
I can't believe NYRAGE and Doc and Kiddnets haven't checked in. I've barely been able to sleep more than two hours at a clip. This is like Christmas at seven years old. 

I can't believe NYRAGE and Doc and Kiddnets haven't checked in. I've barely been able to sleep more than two hours at a clip. This is like Christmas at seven years old. 
I had my in person longtime redraft yesterday. It was on the TV and I saw the drive culminating with the Kroft TD, but didn’t see it all and wasn’t in condition or circumstances to post.

He looked poised and his statline is impressive.

Obviously its still the pre-season and everyone is playing mostly vanilla.....but even with that in mind, the difference on the offense (in terms of scheme, play design, play selection, etc.) is just night and day compared to the prior regime.

The plays....make sense. The play selection....makes sense.  It just seems like they actually have an understanding on what they need to do in order to consistently move the ball and create yards against an NFL defense.

Its a young group and there will obviously be bumps in the road.  There will be days when a great coach throws something at Zack that he's not ready for (I'm sure Bill is already drawing #### up in Foxboro) But if they can keep Wilson's jersey relatively clean, they're going to move the ball. There's enough weapons (especially when you get Moore in the mix) and common sense to make that happens.

I had my in person longtime redraft yesterday. It was on the TV and I saw the drive culminating with the Kroft TD, but didn’t see it all and wasn’t in condition or circumstances to post.

He looked poised and his statline is impressive.
Heh. That's great. I hope it went swimmingly. I forgot you had that. You were picking last at the turn, right? Did you draft Kelce? 

Anyway, Wilson looked better than Darnold really ever looked, but he was locked on to Davis. We'll see if that continues because teams will adjust. But he showed plenty of arm talent and pocket presence, two things that are rare around these parts. 

One thing I've noticed from the Carolina games: They only move the ball when Darnold isn't under center. Can't bode well for them. 

By the way, I was just being hyperbolic. I haven't really slept poorly because of this, nor do I expect people to post at all. I's just kidding, really. I had too much caffeine during the day yesterday, really, and am just excited this morning. 

Heh. That's great. I hope it went swimmingly. I forgot you had that. You were picking last at the turn, right? Did you draft Kelce? 

Anyway, Wilson looked better than Darnold really ever looked, but he was locked on to Davis. We'll see if that continues because teams will adjust. But he showed plenty of arm talent and pocket presence, two things that are rare around these parts. 

One thing I've noticed from the Carolina games: They only move the ball when Darnold isn't under center. Can't bode well for them. 
Kelce actually went at pick 1.04.

I got Chubb and Gibson at the pick 1.14/2.01 turn. I like my team better than my Summerpalooza team.

I watched the replay of every throw. There were two beautiful throws and overall I’m very happy with how he looked. 

Kelce actually went at pick 1.04.

I got Chubb and Gibson at the pick 1.14/2.01 turn. I like my team better than my Summerpalooza team.
Love that turn. That's great. Every team is better than our Summerpalooza teams. Always. Too many damn music  :shark:   Sturgill Simpson in the third? You gosh darn so-and-so...

I kid. That's actually a good, tough league. The real strategy is the FAAB in that league. Hoo baby. The second year, I ran out of FAAB and never could quite make it back in. 

Nice to be missed  Rockaction lol

Busy weekend - went to my 1st concert since COVID - vaccinated/negative tests only but it still seemed a bit strange....as a season ticket holder i hope it gets a bit more "normal" - the old days of hugging or high fiving a stranger next to me may be tabled for now - although there havent been many of those in the past few years!  lol

I watched the 1st half and had these thoughts

Wilson - trying to temper enthusiasm - Ive been hurt before!  I remember Browning Nagles 1st game where he threw for 400 yds and the media annointed him "Broadway Browning"...Chad looking all world before brushing his already weak shoulder...Sam lighting up Detroit after that awful 1st pass.....Sanchez looking good out of the gate....but this seems different. 

I know its pre season and hes going again mostly backups but I can totally see why they went with him over Lance/Fields.  He's got the it factor and jumps off the screen.  I have literally never seen a Jets QB make the throws he made....My dad spins on at games about the ropes Joe Willy would throw that would cut through the snow and wind at Shea stadium...this kid has an arm that can make those kind of throws....if they can protect him, surround him with weapons and coach him I think he can be a top QB but Im going to slow the hype train down until the regular season....totally expecting a bumpy ride

RBBC - SF Rb system in full force - expect to see a rotation

C Davis  looked every bit his high draftpick pedigree - tall, fast, good hands...will be Zach's security blanket

OL - Gave the kid enough time to do his thing....Anxious to see AVT

TE - Herndon who?  It was fun.....Kroft is going to be the starter for good reason.  Forget him making plays - we finally have a coaching staff calling plays for a TE

Def - Carvedup by 2d stringers - definite work in progress and will be a long road but thats Saleh's strength...Im less worried about the D...He'll have them competitive after a few weeks and likely a top 10 Def within 3 yrs

Coaching - As excited as I was about Wilson is how excited about a coaching staff.....no Gore esque runs up the gut?  Play action and roll outs?  TE focus?  Actually call plays 15 yds when its 3rd and 13 instead of a screen?  Man I missed real NFL coaching....my biggest fear is Lafleur does such a solid job with the O that he gets job offers in the offseason...really want to see him stick here for 3 yrs to develop Zach and the O and develop a coaching tree of coordinators.  

So happy as can be for preseason - fully expect some let downs so realistic but most excited Ive been in a long time.  

Jarrad Davis likely out until the bye with an ankle (man he must have REALLY dont a number on it).  Another hit to the pass rush.

Rumors out there that they're looking to trade for a pass rusher.  Tough spot....as you obviously dont want to give up a ton for a stop gap player (since the team isn't winning anything this year anyway). But at the same time, you dont want the rush to be so toothless that it further exposes the corners (which appears to be by far the weakest position group on the roster).

I mean....if you can get an unhappy Chandler Jones for a 4th rounder, I think you do it. But it doesn't seem like Arizona wants to cut bait for such a low pick. If they were, I imagine they would have done it weeks ago. My guess is they'd want something like a 2 and a conditional. I dont see the point of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jarrad Davis likely out until the bye with an ankle (man he must have REALLY dont a number on it).  Another hit to the pass rush.

Rumors out there that they're looking to trade for a pass rusher.  Tough spot....as you obviously dont want to give up a ton for a stop gap player (since the team isn't winning anything this year anyway). But at the same time, you dont want the rush to be so toothless that it further exposes the corners (which appears to be by far the weakest position group on the roster).

I mean....if you can get an unhappy Chandler Jones for a 4th rounder, I think you do it. But it doesn't seem like Arizona wants to cut bait for such a low pick. If they were, I imagine they would have done it weeks ago. My guess is they'd want something like a 2 and a conditional. I dont see the point of that.
Wow these injuries are brutal - nothing Saleh hasnt seen before....next man up...at least he will be back this year.  I think JD is too smart to deal a valuable asset to try to win this year...Id be fine with a 4th or later but cant deal premium pick unless its a player that will be here for a few yrs

We might be bad this year, but somehow if Wilson makes us watchable bad, I'll take it. The purpose of pro sports isn't necessarily to win, as my good friend @The Future Champsonce pointed out to me, it was profit. And for profit to happen, you need eyeballs. And for eyeballs, you need entertainment. 

So winning isn't the only thing, it's also watchability. I'd rather see anything than the Jets of old, even if it's a swiss cheese D that gets scorched and an offense that can move the ball ten-plus yards without feeling like one is having an adult tooth forcibly extracted from the back of their mouf. 

We might be bad this year, but somehow if Wilson makes us watchable bad, I'll take it. The purpose of pro sports isn't necessarily to win, as my good friend @The Future Champsonce pointed out to me, it was profit. And for profit to happen, you need eyeballs. And for eyeballs, you need entertainment. 

So winning isn't the only thing, it's also watchability. I'd rather see anything than the Jets of old, even if it's a swiss cheese D that gets scorched and an offense that can move the ball ten-plus yards without feeling like one is having an adult tooth forcibly extracted from the back of their mouf. 
There is something to this.....I would watch other games with my family who arent into football to the crazy degree I am - and they would laugh and say that these other teams looked like they were playing a different sport than the Jets.  How it took so long for the team to realize its an offensive league is beyond me....if the D is so bad that they go 2-14 again but Zach develops and the offense looks like a real top 15 NFL O then as far as Im concerned 2021 is a success! 

There is something to this.....I would watch other games with my family who arent into football to the crazy degree I am - and they would laugh and say that these other teams looked like they were playing a different sport than the Jets.  How it took so long for the team to realize its an offensive league is beyond me....if the D is so bad that they go 2-14 again but Zach develops and the offense looks like a real top 15 NFL O then as far as Im concerned 2021 is a success! 
 I can guarantee you we're not going 2-14 again. I'll bet all my insolvent debt on it. 

Yup.  I've mentioned the "different sport" aspect multiple times in this thread. Watching a team like Kansas City (or even someone like the Rams) sling it around, picking up chunks of yardage...its fun.

Then you see our team, where "not a 3 and out" was often considered a good possession.....night and day.

I think they're going to lose a lot of 38-24 type games this year. But that's still a lot better than losing 17-3.

Yup.  I've mentioned the "different sport" aspect multiple times in this thread. Watching a team like Kansas City (or even someone like the Rams) sling it around, picking up chunks of yardage...its fun.

Then you see our team, where "not a 3 and out" was often considered a good possession.....night and day.

I think they're going to lose a lot of 38-24 type games this year. But that's still a lot better than losing 17-3.
Yep, that was you that pointed it out. I've always noticed something was off with the offense over two decades (save that year that Pennington got smoking hot and Favre at the beginning one year) but you pretty much called it with that. 

Yep, that was you that pointed it out. I've always noticed something was off with the offense over two decades (save that year that Pennington got smoking hot and Favre at the beginning one year) but you pretty much called it with that. 

I mean....I dont LIKE no-defense football (I find college football unwatchable, although I think part of that is growing up in the Northeast and having no exposure to the "pageantry" that so many value in the sport) but there's only so much grind-it-out you can take. And it would be one thing if we WON with that style, but we haven't.

Hopefully this is the start of changing that. And I definitely agree that it will be a major disappointment if they lose Lafleur as OC right away. (especially when combined with the tragic death of Knapp)  If Wilson develops, it will certainly happen sooner rather than later. But you gotta give him at least 2 years of consistency at that spot.

The Sanchez AFCCG years at least the O had an identity - everyone knew it was ground and pound but they had an elite OL, RBs and enough talent at WRs to take shots down field....since then, except for the 1 Fitzmagic year the O has been putrid....you are talking a decade!  Not a coincidence in that decade they drafted 90% defense in the 1st rd and when they drafted O it was a QB who was not surrounded with talent....

I remember the old Ken O'Brien teams - Freeman McNeil, Wesley Walker and Al toon - that O put up fireworks.....looking forward to hopefully getting another offense like that - Saleh knows defense....he'll drag that defense to respectability....if this kid is the real deal it will go a long way to respectability. 

Wow these injuries are brutal - nothing Saleh hasnt seen before....next man up...at least he will be back this year.  I think JD is too smart to deal a valuable asset to try to win this year...Id be fine with a 4th or later but cant deal premium pick unless its a player that will be here for a few yrs
You might be better off without Davis -Signed a Lions Fan

1.  Collect eyeballs (eyeballs = entertainment)

2.  ?

3.  Profit

To be clear, I mean collect eyeballs metaphorically, don't actually put eyeballs in a jar.

It shouldn't be a shock, but nobody on the Jets can cover anyone. The back end of the defense is going to have a REALLY long year

Undefeated baby! ha.

I watched the first 2 games live, but this one I just followed online after I heard that Wilson wasn't playing, but I"m watching the replay now.

After losing Lawson, we're going to give up a ton of points on defense with this secondary and lack of pass rush. Not to mention the inexperience (and shaky tackling) at LB outside of Mosley.  On the positive side, maybe we are forced to put up offense and get some garbage time points for our fantasy players (Davis, Moore).

If worst comes to worst, I still think it will be an exciting season watching the development of our offense this season regardless of how many losses we have. No training wheels here.

Our coaching staff is so much better than that garbage we had the past few years. We haven't started the regular season yet, but I love Saleh so far. It seems like the team has good chemistry and loves to play for him. Gotta love the no-quit effort tonight and how excited the players were to tie the game.

Roster:

At least we're second on the waiver wire order this week.

QB - Holy hell, what are we doing at back-up QB? Morgan may have had his career game tonight (as in the best game he might ever have), but he hasn't been good in general. Mike White? ehh. Johnson at least looked non-embarrassing although not exactly a high bar.

CB - frightening

LBs  - We'll definitely add someone on the ww this week

TE - I don't think Herndon gets cut, but this guy has been playing with no heart (and no results).  Kroft is um, our starter by default.  Yeboah wasn't exactly having a good camp. Did he save himself tonight?

D-Line: They will claim someone this week. Maybe even some minor trade.

O-line - The could use some interior depth on the waiver wire.

RBs - Josh Adams has looked pretty good whenever he has had a chance. They're keeping Johnson, Coleman, Carter and Wesco. Plus Perine (he might be hurt.). Adams probably gets cut, but it won't be a big deal since we have decent depth for a change. Looks like a RBBC quagmire for fantasy purposes. I like Carter, but I'm avoiding him this year especially at that crazy ADP.

K -Hopefully Ammendola comes through under the pressure of real games. He has looked good so far.

Watched a decent chunk of the game last night.

QB-  The backup situation is obviously really rough. Johnson is clearly the best chance (albeit a small chance. He's a 35 year old journeyman for a reason) to win games if Wilson goes down. But its not like they're going to the playoffs anyway. So if Wilson DOES go down, I honestly think its more about providing a competitive environment to continue to make positive culture steps.  Trading for Foles would have made a lot of sense here.

RB- lots of solid guys with no difference makers (Maybe Carter can be that one day. Who knows). Agree that Adams is a victim of the numbers game here (unless they put Perine on PUP)

WR- Obviously plenty of depth here.  I think Berrios is going to make the team, but I would keep Vyncint Smith instead. A lot higher upside, IMO.  Crowder would bring back some decent value in a trade, but I bet they keep him as a safety blanket.

TE-  Pretty clear its never going to happen for Herndon at this point. He's gonna make the team,  but he's mostly useless. Hope they get Yeboah onto the practice squad. Hopefully they can draft someone high next year (although there are other positions that also need attention

OL-  Hard to judge because we never saw AVT. Having a big time guard can make all the difference in the world for a young tackle (As we saw 15 years ago with Ferguson pre and post the Faneca signing). Obviously we're talking about a hall of famer vs a rookie, but many feel AVT has all-pro talent. So hopefully getting him in there will free up Becton to just maul people.

DL-  Agree that they're gonna have to upgrade somehow. Losing Lawson and Curry was a dagger. They need someone on the outside. I'd make a trade here, even if you have to give up a 3rd or 4th rounder to get someone decent.

LB- They'll obviously be scouring the cut list here too. Even if Mosley is 85% of what he used to be, the rest of the group is weak. (although I like Nasrildeen's potential).

CB- Maybe these guys have potential, but they looked like absolute amateurs all pre-season. I have a feeling this position is gonna be Salah's big point of growth this year. I think he overestimated how much he could coach this group up because they found a few diamonds in the rough in San Fran. But they had Sherman too and a dominant front 7 to help. The Jets have neither.

S- Not a lot of talk about this spot all summer but I assume they'll be fine. Maye will be solid and I'm not worried about Joyner either. They'll have a lot of tackling to do though, so they better play well

K/P- Mann is fine and hopefully Amendola holds up under the bright lights.

Excited for the season to start. At the very least, we have a coach that's not a functional imbecile.

Undefeated baby! ha.

I watched the first 2 games live, but this one I just followed online after I heard that Wilson wasn't playing, but I"m watching the replay now.
Good to see you around, RAGE! 

Yeah, outside of WR and QB, every position could use improvement or will get improvement. 

So ends the Chris Herndon era.

Guessing the compensation is probably completely meaningless (like a conditional 7th or a 7th-6th swap or something) but whatever.

Need to address the position at some point but its hard to use a premium pick there when you still multiple corners, pass rushers and probably a linebacker at some point soon.

the Jets killed Carl

Naw but seriously, you have a great coach. The GM is competent. Let’s wait n see on the QB.

This feels like the most hopeful offseason for the Jets in a long time.

Appreciate it. Everyone in this thread knows I'm not sold on Wilson (despite the pre-season performance, although it has certainly moved me a little bit in the other direction) but at least we have something to look forward to. They appear to have a solid core of young players (Becton, Vera-Tucker, Moore, Davis, Wilson if you believe, Q Williams) and a ton of draft capita. They're doing stuff that makes sense.

It will likely be at least 2 years before they have a chance of getting into the mix, but at least there is hope

Users who are viewing this thread