What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (5 Viewers)

FB Trevon Wesco is listed as the Jets' No. 2 TE, leaving Tyler Kroft as the only tight end on the roster.

The Jets are very likely to add depth prior to Week 1, perhaps even exploring a trade for Zach Ertz. However, fact that the Jets were willing to trade Chris Herndon and cut Ryan Griffin, Kenny Yeboah and Dan Brown is a strong sign for Kroft's standing with the team. Essentially free in fantasy drafts, Kroft could have a meaningful role in 2021. 

Man, all this talk about the "talented young corners" and Bless Austin isn't even good enough to make the team?

Really makes you wonder what they were thinking not signing at least one vet at that spot. Just feels like they're gonna get abused all year.

Man, all this talk about the "talented young corners" and Bless Austin isn't even good enough to make the team?

Really makes you wonder what they were thinking not signing at least one vet at that spot. Just feels like they're gonna get abused all year.
Yes - this was surely one of the head scratchers from Joe Douglas. Maybe they will add some bodies now, but it's not like any great CB was waived.

How is everyone feeling about Ty Johnson? I hated that the Lions released him. I thought he had obvious juice. Seems like he could make some noise this year.

In a funny (sort of twist), JD tried to sign Morgan to the practice squad, but Morgan chose to sign with the Carolina PS instead. I don't blame him. Easier path to playing. What a waste of a pick.

How is everyone feeling about Ty Johnson? I hated that the Lions released him. I thought he had obvious juice. Seems like he could make some noise this year.

He looks good, really good. Shoots out of a cannon when he takes that hand-off.  For now, he's in a 3-4 man RBBC. Coleman has problems staying healthy and Perrine gets nicked up, too. You never know.

He looks good, really good. Shoots out of a cannon when he takes that hand-off.  For now, he's in a 3-4 man RBBC.

Coleman

has problems staying healthy and Perrine gets nicked up, too. You never know.
He was on waivers in 2 of my redraft leagues so I added him today. I want to take a free look at him week 1 because I agree, he has that Mostert shot out of cannon running style. 

Yeah, agree on Ty Johnson. As part of a (minimum) 3 man committee (4 if you think Perine is going to get some short yardage/goal line stuff) his value is pretty meh. Seems like Carter is more likely to get catches and Perine (or even Coleman) more down by the goal line. So that leaves Johnson as the between the 20's guy, which isn't ideal for fantasy.

But the Jets are going to have to run the ball and they have 2 guys who can really run block (assuming you believe in AVT) on the left side. I could see a lot of stretch plays out there, which could give him a chance at breaking some nice long runs.

If Coleman goes down or if Carter can't pass protect, I could see his role increasing. But I wouldnt draft him as anything more than a 5th running back (MAYBE 4th if you're desperate and really believe in his talent)  in either a standard or PPR league. (and even that might be a stretch).

Getting him as a free waiver pick seems like a solid gamble. I think the guy has burst and decent vision and he's in a system that has produced some nice stats for guys with his apparent skill set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Game week - of course my son has a game an hour away at 1pm Sunday...thx youth sports!  Will be in Jet lockdown until 4pm 

Interesting matchup - Sam will be looking to torch the Jets bad CBs....I think DL/LB shuts down CMC to a realistic line....but secondary starts a pattern of giving up big plays to the nice trio of Car WRs. Need a big pass rush to cover up those holes.  

Jets come out really trying to run the ball and roll Zach around with play action.  Im expecting some yips and mistakes as its his 1st real defense hes seeing but still think he has a solid game and gets some confidence going into the home opener vs Belichick who will unleash the ghosts.  

Game week - of course my son has a game an hour away at 1pm Sunday...thx youth sports!  Will be in Jet lockdown until 4pm 

Interesting matchup - Sam will be looking to torch the Jets bad CBs....I think DL/LB shuts down CMC to a realistic line....but secondary starts a pattern of giving up big plays to the nice trio of Car WRs. Need a big pass rush to cover up those holes.  

Jets come out really trying to run the ball and roll Zach around with play action.  Im expecting some yips and mistakes as its his 1st real defense hes seeing but still think he has a solid game and gets some confidence going into the home opener vs Belichick who will unleash the ghosts.  
The Jets secondary may just make Sam look good.

I’m excited for Week 1 action.

The Jets secondary may just make Sam look good.

I’m excited for Week 1 action.

I'm definitely expecting to see the Sam hoopla after he torches our lousy secondary just like every other QB will this year.  I can only hope some inside pressure forces Sam into his usual bonehead 2-3 turnovers.

I just hope that WIlson has a good game. You know the media has already pre-written articles for Monday comparing Wilson to Darnold and whether we made the right move.

The only thing that really matters about this season is watching Wilson develop.

rockaction said:
Oh thank God. Woody. How...wonderful. I won't click. Just. stay. away. from. the. good. vibes.
I hear you - I am no fan of the Johnson brothers - but I have to admit most of the losing is from bad hires  (seriously Chris Johnson - why Gase?  Why?) vs outright meddling.  They spend money and for the most part stay out of the way from what Ive seen except a once in a while bonehead move like Tebow.  Bottom line is the JEts can win with the Johnsons....they went to 2 AFCCGs with Woody in place....I just think its a convenient excuse used like how the JEts share a stadium and would be better if they had their own....just win and everything gets better....even terrible owners.  

I hear you - I am no fan of the Johnson brothers - but I have to admit most of the losing is from bad hires  (seriously Chris Johnson - why Gase?  Why?) vs outright meddling.  They spend money and for the most part stay out of the way from what Ive seen except a once in a while bonehead move like Tebow.  Bottom line is the JEts can win with the Johnsons....they went to 2 AFCCGs with Woody in place....I just think its a convenient excuse used like how the JEts share a stadium and would be better if they had their own....just win and everything gets better....even terrible owners.  
Yes the Johnson’s are buffoons in many ways, but they can’t be blamed for meddling. They make the wrong decisions on whom they employ but they do let those people do what they do. If Joe D and Salah are the real deal the Johnsons won’t ruin that.

Yes the Johnson’s are buffoons in many ways, but they can’t be blamed for meddling. They make the wrong decisions on whom they employ but they do let those people do what they do. If Joe D and Salah are the real deal the Johnsons won’t ruin that.
Yeah, they don't meddle like the idiot from the Knicks.

Still, it feels like a weird bad pass. Congrats on not meddling with your terrible hires and their terrible decisions. Hmm.

Luckily it's probably a moot point going forward. JD is far from perfect, but he is a serious upgrade over the past buffoons. Saleh is my favorite coach that we've had since BP.  Let's just hope he's good on game day. So far I like everything I see.

Yeah, they don't meddle like the idiot from the Knicks.

Still, it feels like a weird bad pass. Congrats on not meddling with your terrible hires and their terrible decisions. Hmm.

Luckily it's probably a moot point going forward. JD is far from perfect, but he is a serious upgrade over the past buffoons. Saleh is my favorite coach that we've had since BP.  Let's just hope he's good on game day. So far I like everything I see.
Its a low bar lol - its all about the hires - - stability is so huge...if this group can work and be here for a decade it would do wonders for the franchise....since the Johnsons took over

Parcells - holdover couldnt wait to get out the door - succession plan ruined by Kraft giving farm to unproven Belichick - not really Johnsons fault - since then the hires have been bad -- the worst was Idzick, MAc and Gase.

Al Groh - 1 yr placeholder - never a real chance

Bradaway - GM put in place by Parcells - 

Herm - not a terrible HC - ended up being too conservative and Ra Ra

Mangini - knew how to coach and pick players - tried to act like mini Belichick instead of self...could have been much better

Tannenbaum - best GM until JD - at least had a plan - built a solid D and OL

Rex - solid coach - just couldnt stop the BS and had no clue on offense.  When Sanchez flopped it was over

Idzik - a GM with no scouting background rec'd by a freaking search firm

Mac - rec'd by someone who had zero ties with the team.  

Bowles - cant kill them here - he was the hottest AC out there - the guy can clearly coach as evidenced by his Tampa D but he just didnt have the personality to be HC

Gase - we dont have to even discuss this disaster

On the positive side, I thought Wilson looked pretty good. He had some drops and the pass protection was atrocious. He still made things happen.

On the negative side, the offensive line was garbage.  I don't even know what to say about Becton.

Too many injuries. Shockingly Cashman got hurt again. lol.

On the positive side, I thought Wilson looked pretty good. He had some drops and the pass protection was atrocious. He still made things happen.

On the negative side, the offensive line was garbage.  I don't even know what to say about Becton.

Too many injuries. Shockingly Cashman got hurt again. lol.
Wilson actually looked way better than his numbers will show, and frankly he looked like the better QB on the field on Sunday. The o-line and his receivers really let him down but he showed what's on the horizon with a few remarkable throws.

Sam Darnold surely looked capable but that one bomb to Anderson (which was a nice throw) made his day.

I was not happy with the play-calling in the first half, but for the first time in a long time it was nice to see some halftime adjustments. The Jets were the better team in the second half.

Wilson actually looked way better than his numbers will show, and frankly he looked like the better QB on the field on Sunday. The o-line and his receivers really let him down but he showed what's on the horizon with a few remarkable throws.

Sam Darnold surely looked capable but that one bomb to Anderson (which was a nice throw) made his day.

I was not happy with the play-calling in the first half, but for the first time in a long time it was nice to see some halftime adjustments. The Jets were the better team in the second half.
I thought Wilson showed a great pocket awareness that allowed him to shake/sidestep pressure and still get a throw off several times.  This O line is pretty putrid so he faced way too much pressure all day, but there was some sixth sense type of stuff a few times in the pocket I really liked.  That intuition in his first game in and of itself had me very excited for his potential.  He also looks like he can flick the deep ball with relative ease.  

I thought Wilson showed a great pocket awareness that allowed him to shake/sidestep pressure and still get a throw off several times.  This O line is pretty putrid so he faced way too much pressure all day, but there was some sixth sense type of stuff a few times in the pocket I really liked.  That intuition in his first game in and of itself had me very excited for his potential.  He also looks like he can flick the deep ball with relative ease.  
I'm sure there will be a ton of hot takes saying how dumb the Jets were to let Darnold walk and how he lit the Jets up, but anyone that watched that game and know what to look for would likely say the rookie QB already looked better than the 4th year veteran.

If you switched QBs, Darnold likely would have looked like trash. The Jets couldn't get any pressure on him on most of his passes while Wilson was under constant pressure and still made something happen. Darnold made a few good throws - including the TD - but for the most part CMc was carrying that offense.

Few observations

OL - everything bad on O was from this group - I was hoping for more with all the resources put into the OL from last year.  Becton has been shaky all year and the shine is falling off him...AVT missed all preseason and Moses was a late addition as well - Im hoping its growing pains but it was a major problem.  If this continues a successful season will be Zach not getting seriously injured

QB - Zach looked the part - big arm...elusive...just didnt have a chance as he was on the run all game.  You out Darnold back then and he would have been toast.  Zach's line was a literal miracle based on all he endured.  Nothin in game 1 made me think any less of him at all.  

WR - Davis looks like a stud..Elijah looked like a rookie.  hopefully better days to come from the kid.  Mims was phased out until late and im not sure why - he seems to make plays when on the field....hope he plays his way out of the doghouse.  

TE - unspectacular - need an upgrade. 

the defense held its own against a pretty good offense....you know Darnold was going to hit at least one long one with Robbie Anderson. 

Coaching- the most interesting thing was the halftime adjustments.  Havent seen those in a while!  

So about what I expected in game 1- some good and a lot of bad....most concerning is the OL - that has to be fixed ASAP!  NE is going to throw the kitchen sink at the kid....gotta keep him healthy at all costs.  

I am biased against Sam after seeing his terrible play these past couple of years, but there is no doubt that I would rather have Wilson.

I'm about to re-watch the game, but from what I remember, Darnold missed a few open receivers and had that terrible turnover at the 5 yard line. It was a nice throw to Anderson, but come on, he was wide open against our secondary that will make every QB put up numbers this year. I'll give Sam credit for moving in the pocket before making that throw though.  All he did was throw easy passes to McCaffrey all game long.  The running td was good. Not sure if it was by design or whether Darnold saw it. I'll have to see it again.

Carolina has a great coaching staff with excellent weapons on offense. This was basically a game-manager approach though.

The NY Post had some ridiculous story about Darnold making Jets fans regret the move of letting him go. Oh please. What garbage. Look at the plays Wilson made, especially on the run. Some of those throws were lasers. They just need an oline that won't get him killed.

It was a nice throw to Anderson, but come on, he was wide open against our secondary that will make every QB put up numbers this year. I'll give Sam credit for moving in the pocket before making that throw though. 

The NY Post had some ridiculous story about Darnold making Jets fans regret the move of letting him go. Oh please. What garbage. Look at the plays Wilson made, especially on the run. Some of those throws were lasers. They just need an oline that won't get him killed.
Yes, I was trying to be nice/fair but Anderson was wide open and it wasn't a difficult pass but was still e nice throw.

And I knew those dumb hot takes were coming. Darnold looked adequate - which is a huge step up for him admittedly - but I still think he'll get benched in Carolina at some point. Wilson, as a rookie, showed way more in that game. 

I am biased against Sam after seeing his terrible play these past couple of years, but there is no doubt that I would rather have Wilson.

I'm about to re-watch the game, but from what I remember, Darnold missed a few open receivers and had that terrible turnover at the 5 yard line. It was a nice throw to Anderson, but come on, he was wide open against our secondary that will make every QB put up numbers this year. I'll give Sam credit for moving in the pocket before making that throw though.  All he did was throw easy passes to McCaffrey all game long.  The running td was good. Not sure if it was by design or whether Darnold saw it. I'll have to see it again.

Carolina has a great coaching staff with excellent weapons on offense. This was basically a game-manager approach though.

Watching that game made me even more confident that Sam is who we thought he was.....a game manager that you can win with if surrounded with a good team/coaching...ala Sanchez.....a solid but unspectacular QB.....Zach has flashed real franchise QB traits IMO.  

Yes, I was trying to be nice/fair but Anderson was wide open and it wasn't a difficult pass but was still e nice throw.

And I knew those dumb hot takes were coming. Darnold looked adequate - which is a huge step up for him admittedly - but I still think he'll get benched in Carolina at some point. Wilson, as a rookie, showed way more in that game. 
Also keep in mind that Sam is getting paid way more than Zach and if he shows anything this year will probably be a $20M yr QB next yr while Zach is making $6-$9M yr over the next 4 yrs.  

Also keep in mind that Sam is getting paid way more than Zach and if he shows anything this year will probably be a $20M yr QB next yr while Zach is making $6-$9M yr over the next 4 yrs.  
His 5th year option was picked up so $19m next year unless they go a contract extension and then yeah, $20+ million.

First, I should say that we played a terrible three quarters yesterday. Everything from the play calling to the personnel choices was just wrong. The OL was sieve-like. Tevin Coleman didn't look shot out of a cannon, he looked shot. Ty Johnson or Carter are the better options. I was really hoping Elijah Mitchell or Khalil Herbert were our guys and they showed why yesterday. In a 49ers an Bears uniform, but hey...

our secondary stunk, enough to let Robby Anderson and Sam torch us for a rare connection (despite what the announcers say, Sam has always missed Robby deep).

But then we changed up, put the ball in the hands of our good personnel, and let them play football.

Yesterday was all about the fourth quarter for me, and Wilson looked exceptional.

Sam looked like Sam.

That's not sour grapes. If I were watching that game as a neutral, I know who the better QB is. Already. And that's all we were asking for, a franchise QB. I think we have one. The plays he made on the run were exceptional. Elijah (All-World!!) Moore had an easy bomb he couldn't reel in. Davis missed a throw. Drops and o-line play hurt the Jets.

Need moar Mims and Berrios in the lineup if there's to be no Crowder and Cole. Wilson needs more than a second.

We're headed in the right direction, but wait until we play Belichick and the Pats. Ooooooooooof. I wouldn't expect much. That said, there's something to build on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just re-read my own take.

I'm seriously excited by that fourth quarter and what Wilson showed on the run

I think Saleh needs to protect Wilson while letting him play. What a fine line! I hope LaFleur is capable of doing that. It's tough, to manage a rookie QB with so much natural talent. The arm is there. It's easy to see. I wish we had more of a line around him.

I'm reading some Jets news. Becton sounds a little malcontent-ish. That worries me. Big guy needs to be on the line, in shape, instead, he's...

not.

BIG MAN DOWN: LT Mekhi Becton is having arthroscopic knee surgery and will miss 4-6 weeks, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports. #jets
Could have been worse.....he should be back after the bye.....hes gotta get his head on straight and do a better job of taking case of himself or hes gonna be a short timer in this league...makes you really appreciate Brick who missed 1 snap in 10 yrs

But that was an interesting post, all kidding aside. I don't mean to slag it. You think a fourth-rounder added to Mims gets Aiyuk, though, in seriousness?

I doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread