What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (10 Viewers)

i have been a fan since the 70s and all i ask is that they join the league.  they are so far behind in talent in a league where most games are decided by one score, they perpetually are behind 3 scores.  they turn entire drafts over in 1-2 years.  haven’t had a TE since mickey shuler.  they can talk all they want about quinnen williams, but i swear the guy has been inactive the first 2 games.  it’s time to find a draft expert at GM.  you can’t build a team drafting this poorly.  i mean, why was james morgan a 4 th round pick?  to talk about how pathetic this franchise is would take me days, but they are the worst franchise in pro sports, easy, plus they don’t have a home stadium.
I agree that they are really far behind the league...just watch the Sun/Mon pm games and its like they are playing different sports.  Its been a brutal decade but they did go to back to back AFCCGs so I dont think we can say they are worse than say the Lions or Jags who have been awful for decades.  Still nitpicking - they have been bad and your points on draft picks is correct...same on regimes.  You cant start over every 3 yrs...sooner or later you gotta stick with a regime and be patient through the muck and hopefully come out the other side....I have faith in JD and Salah....Im ok giving them 5 yrs to turn this thing around...there is no Parcells out there to save the Jets.  gotta hope that the kid develops and the GM/HC are legit.  

As for the home stadium - I think thats so overrated.  The place is rocking on Sundays..  They have a state of the art practice complex.  Theyve gone to 3 AFCCGs while sharing a stadium....its time to move on from that.  Winning is whats key...you win all the other stuff goes away.  

Its going to be another toguh year - we can all say that we are cool with another lousy yr to let the kid develop but it still sucks to lose so much - especially when they dont need a QB.  Id actually like to see some wins for the 1st time in 3 yrs and they still stink.  Im not writing the kid off after a bad game vs one of the great HCs of all time....hope he rebounds next week but hats a tough D too.  Denver made the almighty Trevor look awful so not expecting a monster game.  

:confused:     Beat down? We've asked the posters to not have emojis or goofy stuff in the title, and asked folks to begin them with 2021 (Team Name). But most of the others ones have a description after that. :shrug:  

:confused:     Beat down? We've asked the posters to not have emojis or goofy stuff in the title, and asked folks to begin them with 2021 (Team Name). But most of the others ones have a description after that. :shrug:  
I try and be funny - it's mostly the team that's beat me down. Goofy is in the eye of the beholder - most on here enjoyed. You do not - but it's your house so I'll follow your rules.

Joe keeps changing it to just the "2021 New York Jets" and you can only fight city hall for so long - especially when it's for this team that sucks the life out of you.

When Andy Dufresne got denied money for his library books at Shawshank, did he stop requesting funds? No, he wrote two letters a week until they got tired of him and sent him the funds and books he needed.

I try and be funny - it's mostly the team that's beat me down. Goofy is in the eye of the beholder - most on here enjoyed. You do not - but it's your house so I'll follow your rules.

I don't think you're understanding "my rules". 

Just keep the start of the thread 2021 New York Jets - then do what you want for a PG rated headline. 

I don't think you're understanding "my rules". 

Just keep the start of the thread 2021 New York Jets - then do what you want for a PG rated headline. 
I've never once strayed from that. The last title that got nixed was: 2021 New York Jets: Hall of Fame orders extra bronze to start preparing for Sam's big head. 

Were you thinking I wad referring to anything but his actual head (the one on his neck)? Because otherwise, I don't see how that's even PG-13 rated let alone R rated. Seems pretty G rated to be honest.

I love Doc Oc's thread titles -- they're the best on the board and always make me laugh. They're also pretty much always PG. Sam Darnold has a huge noggin and I didn't take it any other way than that, either. 

But let's get back to the Jets. Must be a bunch of downtime here. 

I've never once strayed from that. The last title that got nixed was: 2021 New York Jets: Hall of Fame orders extra bronze to start preparing for Sam's big head. 

Were you thinking I wad referring to anything but his actual head (the one on his neck)? Because otherwise, I don't see how that's even PG-13 rated let alone R rated. Seems pretty G rated to be honest.

No idea. 

If you don't want to do that, that's cool. Or change it back to whatever you had there. Or keep blaming me as you have now if that's what you'd rather do. Again, I've got no idea. I just need to drop this one and get back to work. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea. 

If you don't want to do that, that's cool. Or change it back to whatever you had there. Or keep blaming me as you have now if that's what you'd rather do. Again, I've got no idea. I just need to drop this one and get back to work. 
Blaming you? It said Joe Bryant changed the title to "2021 New York Jets", so I assumed that was you. Sorry, if it wasn't. Odd.

Blaming you? It said Joe Bryant changed the title to "2021 New York Jets", so I assumed that was you. Sorry, if it wasn't. Odd.

May well have been me as I was trying to organize the giant mass of threads and get them more consistent. For future, please keep the start of the thread 2021 New York Jets - then do what you want for a PG rated headline. 

If you don't want to do that, that's cool. 

May well have been me as I was trying to organize the giant mass of threads and get them more consistent. For future, please keep the start of the thread 2021 New York Jets - then do what you want for a PG rated headline. 

Joe, I think your attention span is not serving you well here.  Entirely possible mine is not serving me well either.

I'll definitely assume Dr is right here. I'm no jets fan but have read his title changes for years. I've seen many interesting moves and over moderations as well. I think you're being quite difficult here really. Just mo, feel free to ban me for a day though. 

I think you're being quite difficult here really. Just mo, feel free to ban me for a day though. 

:confused:    What have you done to be banned? 

Looks like we had some confusion on editing titles. A lot were edited as I tried to clean up. I tried to clarify multiple times saying "For future, please keep the start of the thread 2021 New York Jets - (then do what you want for a PG rated headline)."   Not sure how that be less difficult. Thanks. 

Joe, I think your attention span is not serving you well here.  Entirely possible mine is not serving me well either.

Oh for sure, I'd bet on me being in error here, GB. Probably me trying to move way too fast on things. I'm sure this was my fault in editing the Sam Darnold title. That's why I tried to clarify. 

The Jets. We have to wait until Thursday for rent-free headspace. 
I’m sure he will put up numbers against a terrible Houston D this Thursday and we’ll here more of how the Jets made some huge mistake walking away from him.

Ill stand-by my observation that Sam was the second best QB on the field in Week 1 though. I also think Wilson bounces back with a vengeance against a very tough Denver D this week.

I’m sure he will put up numbers against a terrible Houston D this Thursday and we’ll here more of how the Jets made some huge mistake walking away from him.
That will always be the narrative unless/until Wilson gets there.

Darnold is obviously off to a good start, but the importance for a young QB of having the right coaching staff/system/surrounding talent cannot be overstated. Darnold is benefiting from that and hopefully Zack will too sooner rather than later once this very young (and injured) team gets a bit more seasoning.

How are folks feeling about Robert Saleh?

He seems to be saying the right things. But wondering how the fans feel. 

How are folks feeling about Robert Saleh?

He seems to be saying the right things. But wondering how the fans feel. 
Joe, right now I'm feeling that they threw Wilson a bit to the wolves on Sunday and didn't protect him, game-plan wise. There were plenty of runs that went for positive yardage and I'm wondering why LaFleur didn't stick to that game plan. 

I never pounded the table for Saleh and a defensive coach, and everybody in this thread knows it, so I keep my negativity to a minimum and go with consensus. He is indeed saying all the right things. I support him for now. But the proof is in the pudding, and if there's one thing that all of us in this thread can likely agree on: The only important thing this year is Zach Wilson's development. Nothing else matters.

For the GM, that means they have to have assembled a competent line. That means competent receivers at their disposal.  They seem to have that.

For the coach, it means the proper deploying of personnel. And it's been done well, or the right things have been said so far. But I worry. I don't want to see any of this Mims in the doghouse bit unless he truly deserves it. I don't want to hear about special teams and receivers and team garbage. It's all about the QB. 

THE QB, FOLKS. 

That's my take on Saleh. He goes as far as Wilson takes him. May they reach a Super Bowl together. 

Ill stand-by my observation that Sam was the second best QB on the field in Week 1 though. I also think Wilson bounces back with a vengeance against a very tough Denver D this week.
Yeah, he'll likely shine on Thursday, but he still won't have looked as good as Wilson did when they faced each other. I was kidding, of course, about the rent-free space. I didn't realize that ConstruxBoy was from Charlotte and that that is why he keeps saying that. Larf. I'd be indignant, too, if I had just extended Darnold. 

rockaction said:
Joe, right now I'm feeling that they threw Wilson a bit to the wolves on Sunday and didn't protect him, game-plan wise. There were plenty of runs that went for positive yardage and I'm wondering why LaFleur didn't stick to that game plan. 

I never pounded the table for Saleh and a defensive coach, and everybody in this thread knows it, so I keep my negativity to a minimum and go with consensus. He is indeed saying all the right things. I support him for now. But the proof is in the pudding, and if there's one thing that all of us in this thread can likely agree on: The only important thing this year is Zach Wilson's development. Nothing else matters.

For the GM, that means they have to have assembled a competent line. That means competent receivers at their disposal.  They seem to have that.

For the coach, it means the proper deploying of personnel. And it's been done well, or the right things have been said so far. But I worry. I don't want to see any of this Mims in the doghouse bit unless he truly deserves it. I don't want to hear about special teams and receivers and team garbage. It's all about the QB. 

THE QB, FOLKS. 

That's my take on Saleh. He goes as far as Wilson takes him. May they reach a Super Bowl together. 

I love Saleh so far. He's everything you can hope for when dealing with the press and players. He treats everyone with respect. You can tell that he cares about players and that he is trying to develop players the right way.  He knows that they will make mistakes, but that it will be a part of their growth.

That said, we have to see how he coaches during Sundays.  I love how he is on the same page with his GM and his coaches.

A big part of his grade is how he will deal with his coaches after they make mistakes. He needs to straighten out LaFleur after last week's game plan.  Like Wilson, LaFleur is new to this and learning how to call plays in live game time. They are going to make mistakes.  Let's see how they respond this week.

@rockaction I saw your take earlier in the week about the "defensive coach" thing, but I wasn't in the mood to discuss football after last week's loss. Since you brought it up again, Saleh was brought in to be a manager of the team, not a defensive coach. Sure he has his vision that shares with Ulbrich, but Saleh isn't a hand's on defensive coach anymore. It's not his role.

The last "offensive" (more offensive as he offended us) didn't even deal with the defense. Talk about a fractured room.  It's clear that the Jets wanted someone to oversee the whole team and not focus on one side of the ball. It's ironic that we lost to two defensive coaches this year. Well, Rhule started out on defense anyway. 

I think the whole offense versus defense background is overblown. In four of the last 6 years, coaches with defensive backgrounds have had better records than coaches with offensive records. I guess you could dig deeper to see how many of them had experienced QBs vs rookie QBs and all of that, but imo, the background doesn't matter.  I believe to have success, you have manage the team in totality.  I think. Who knows Either way, it's not an issue in my mind anyway.

So BJ Goodson retired after 7 special (not so special) teams snaps. I was shocked when JD signed him to a $2m deal. I thought for sure this guy was a league minimum player. Anyway, nice vetting JD. Another strike to the JD is a god narrative.

best player in 2020 draft is the punter?
Jury is entirely still out on Becton and Mims, even at their slotting. Can't really say anything about them yet. I hope the new coaching staff isn't running them out of town because they're not "their guys." From a distance and how they complained about Becton's general level of physical fitness and how they've buried Mims, this looks to be the case to a degree. I'll be watching for it. 

rockaction said:
Jury is entirely still out on Becton and Mims, even at their slotting. Can't really say anything about them yet. I hope the new coaching staff isn't running them out of town because they're not "their guys." From a distance and how they complained about Becton's general level of physical fitness and how they've buried Mims, this looks to be the case to a degree. I'll be watching for it. 
Becton and Mims certainly dont seem to fit in the new schemes so far.....they cant afford to whiff on another draft class where they end up trading top picks for pennies on the dollar....the coaches need to find a way to use their talent....no way Mims should be behind JAGs like Berrios, Jeff smith and Keenan Cole....jets are not making the playoffs...gotta find a way to develop Mims not bench him.  

Ashton Davis looking like a bust....Zuniga is a bust....along with Perine, Morgan and Clark - Bryce Hall is only one contributing from a draft class 2 yrs ago with 10 picks is unacceptable....

Becton and Mims certainly dont seem to fit in the new schemes so far.....they cant afford to whiff on another draft class where they end up trading top picks for pennies on the dollar....the coaches need to find a way to use their talent....no way Mims should be behind JAGs like Berrios, Jeff smith and Keenan Cole....jets are not making the playoffs...gotta find a way to develop Mims not bench him.  

Ashton Davis looking like a bust....Zuniga is a bust....along with Perine, Morgan and Clark - Bryce Hall is only one contributing from a draft class 2 yrs ago with 10 picks is unacceptable....
Mims is my biggest gripe with this new regime. You just can't teach his size/speed combo. Even if he's not a fit, throw him out there to at least stretch the field and make it easier for Zach to throw underneath.

He doesn't play on special teams is a cop-out. I'm sure he could play on special teams.

...and I know this will look like sour grapes, but the Sam Darnold love fest is kind of funny. I'm not going to say he looks terrible - he doesn't, but while I did not see the NO game, in both games so far (against 2 of the worst teams in the league) he's looked pretty average. He looked great on the first series or two last night (and DJ Moore was consistently wide open), but pedestrian after that. I'm guessing with CMc ou,t the narrative will change quickly.

With all that said, I'd be lying if I said this doesn't sting a little - especially after Wilson's 4 pick game.

I will say definitively though, I would MUCH rather have Wilson than Darnold still. I honestly believe he has the much brighter future.

...and I know this will look like sour grapes, but the Sam Darnold love fest is kind of funny. I'm not going to say he looks terrible - he doesn't, but while I did not see the NO game, in both games so far (against 2 of the worst teams in the league) he's looked pretty average. He looked great on the first series or two last night (and DJ Moore was consistently wide open), but pedestrian after that. I'm guessing with CMc ou,t the narrative will change quickly.

With all that said, I'd be lying if I said this doesn't sting a little - especially after Wilson's 4 pick game.

I will say definitively though, I would MUCH rather have Wilson than Darnold still. I honestly believe he has the much brighter future.
I said this on Wednesday and stand by it.

zamboni said:
Darnold is obviously off to a good start, but the importance for a young QB of having the right coaching staff/system/surrounding talent cannot be overstated. Darnold is benefiting from that and hopefully Zack will too sooner rather than later once this very young (and injured) team gets a bit more seasoning.
The key will be how well Sam can run the offense without the benefit of CMC at his side. If he can do it against teams not named Houston, I'll be a firm believer that team brass perhaps gave up too soon on him.

agreed - he definitely has improved which he should in his 4th yr and in that situation.....he started strong but faded after a while as he has done in past....I stand by what I said as well - Sam's upside is a solid game manager QB which is not a bad thing at all...I could see him winning the Super Bowl on a very good team

Zach has the look of a Favre esque who could carry a team to a Super Bowl.....or he can flame out ala Browning Nagle lol....I guess we'll see but Im nit second guessing the gamble...Sam's gonna get a $25M yr extension after the season.  

- Sam's upside is a solid game manager QB which is not a bad thing at all...
I said it in the Darnold thread, that his "upside is prime Andy Dalton" which isn't quite the insult it may seem, but it's faint praise of course. I still think that. He has talent, but he lacks composure.

Mims is my biggest gripe with this new regime. You just can't teach his size/speed combo. Even if he's not a fit, throw him out there to at least stretch the field and make it easier for Zach to throw underneath.

He doesn't play on special teams is a cop-out. I'm sure he could play on special teams.
I remember absolutely hating his start with the Jets and saying he was Stephen Hill-esque. As much as I love being right, the Jets don't seem to have done right by him unless we find out his attitude stinks, like I first thought when he came, talking about Philly and being unfit to play. But rookies go through that all the time. What we have here is a second-year issue, which really makes or breaks a second-round guy. 

God, I hope that wasn't a wasted pick like I thought at first. Seeing him play changed my mind. Hearing from guys who watch film for a living and pronounced him decent for a rookie helped change my mind, too. Doesn't hurt I have him in dynasty, but don't you think you'd want to find out what 4.35 or so at 6'3" brings to the table? I'd think anybody would. Unless, again, his attitude stinks terribly, which it might. 

I remember absolutely hating his start with the Jets and saying he was Stephen Hill-esque. As much as I love being right, the Jets don't seem to have done right by him unless we find out his attitude stinks, like I first thought when he came, talking about Philly and being unfit to play. But rookies go through that all the time. What we have here is a second-year issue, which really makes or breaks a second-round guy. 

God, I hope that wasn't a wasted pick like I thought at first. Seeing him play changed my mind. Hearing from guys who watch film for a living and pronounced him decent for a rookie helped change my mind, too. Doesn't hurt I have him in dynasty, but don't you think you'd want to find out what 4.35 or so at 6'3" brings to the table? I'd think anybody would. Unless, again, his attitude stinks terribly, which it might. 

Stephen Hill was a bum. He never did anything in college either. The only thing Mims has in common is that he was frequently hurt to start off his career. Mims has done more already than Hill ever did, granted that's a very low bar.

Now, there has to be more to the picture than we know. Maybe it's his attitude. Maybe he isn't the brightest guy and can't learn the plays like some suggest. Some say that he was drafted for the previous clown's system and doesn't fit the current one. Regardless, he catches the ball when it is thrown to him and his yac is better than his reputation. Maybe his lack of special teams hurts him.  Maybe it's something else.

The Jets have better WRs this year, so he's not just going to get playing time over the top guys. However, something doesn't smell right.  if we are using this season as a developmental season, then it really makes no sense to watch Smith play over him. 

Stephen Hill was a bum. He never did anything in college either. The only thing Mims has in common is that he was frequently hurt to start off his career. Mims has done more already than Hill ever did, granted that's a very low bar.

Now, there has to be more to the picture than we know. Maybe it's his attitude. Maybe he isn't the brightest guy and can't learn the plays like some suggest. Some say that he was drafted for the previous clown's system and doesn't fit the current one. Regardless, he catches the ball when it is thrown to him and his yac is better than his reputation. Maybe his lack of special teams hurts him.  Maybe it's something else.

The Jets have better WRs this year, so he's not just going to get playing time over the top guys. However, something doesn't smell right.  if we are using this season as a developmental season, then it really makes no sense to watch Smith play over him. 
I meant that his career arc reeked of Stephen Hill. IIRC, he had the same tools and size, but never panned out. Mims has not done more than Hill, really. Hill caught touchdown passes with the Jets and saw the field his second year to the tune of Mims's rookie production, plus three scores. So that's not the full picture to say that Mims has already done more than Hill ever did. Mims hasn't even caught a touchdown pass, nor seen the field his second year.

So we don't know for certain what Mims would do, though it's perfectly within reason to assume he'd do better than Hill given Mims's production in limited time. So we agree there.

We also agree on something larger. The Mims situation makes no sense and it needs to be resolved unless the long play is to make him earn it. Then maybe the rush we want isn't the best way. Perhaps he has to buy in a bit for Saleh to develop him and the only way to make him buy-in whole hog is for him to sit.

I hope that's the case.

I 100% agree with all your said, but Hill had one monster game to open the season (think it was his second season) so he’s done more than Mims so far.

This is way too much of a saga for my liking. We don't have much in the way of talent. Unless Mims has a really bad attitude, he really should be running with at least the twos. We have an awfully funny way of developing quarterbacks if the prevailing sentiment is to sit Crowder and Mims and go with Berrios and Davis and Cole.

What could have been a strength of this team in terms of its depth is a question mark. I'm not surprised that guys are hurt (and Davis has never been a model of durability if I'm not mistaken) but this seems like it's all coming home to roost at the wrong time. The schedule is doing us no favors. Too bad we couldn't start with Houston.

This is way too much of a saga for my liking. We don't have much in the way of talent. Unless Mims has a really bad attitude, he really should be running with at least the twos. We have an awfully funny way of developing quarterbacks if the prevailing sentiment is to sit Crowder and Mims and go with Berrios and Davis and Cole.

What could have been a strength of this team in terms of its depth is a question mark. I'm not surprised that guys are hurt (and Davis has never been a model of durability if I'm not mistaken) but this seems like it's all coming home to roost at the wrong time. The schedule is doing us no favors. Too bad we couldn't start with Houston.

We probably would have lost that one, too. 

You're right. We do have a funny way of drafting and developing talent.

This becomes the soundtrack to my life during the third game of every season:

Hello? (Hello? Hello? Hello?)

Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone home?
Come on now
I hear you're feeling down
Well I can ease your pain
Get you on your feet again
Relax
I'll need some information first
Just the basic facts
Can you show me where it hurts?

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship smoke on the horizon
You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
When I was a child I had a fever
My hands felt just like two balloons
Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain you would not understand
This is not how I am
I have become comfortably numb

Okay (okay, okay, okay)
Just a little pinprick
There'll be no more, ah
But you may feel a little sick
Can you stand up?
I do believe it's working, good
That'll keep you going through the show
Come on it's time to go

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship, smoke on the horizon
You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone

This is terrible. I have a four-pack of games on, thankfully. This is lower left corner. The other games are all in full bloom.

People wonder why a slightly above if not completely average QB like Kirk Cousins gets paid so much money. Watching Bridgewater, Wilson, and Brissett tell you why this is so.

We could use average QB play, really.

Users who are viewing this thread