What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (8 Viewers)

Even if Douglass decides to trade down from the #2 overall which as I said earlier I think he's going to do and gets a haul, I want him to take Etienne with our back of the 1st round #1 pick from Seattle  that we got in the Jamal trade.

We need someone explosive like that. Let it be written let it be done!...😎
With all of our needs, I doubt JD spends a first round pick on a RB.  He might add another guy in the middle rounds though.

I'm over it today. Does any Jets fan really think that it was going to happen? You know even if we had gone into the final game at 0-15, we would have found a way to beat NE. It's just inevitable.Our fate.

Of course what will happen knowing our history is that that Jacksonville pulls off a miracle win only for us to beat NE. Lol. I can see that happening.

Like someone mentioned above, being a Jets fan is like rooting for the Knicks. These teams are just destined to suck. As fans we just grown more numb by the day. I'll just savor the Rangers rebuild and hope that Steve Cohen can transform the Mets organization.

As for the Jets, once again they are one pick away from a true game-changer. It's early. My gut hopes that they trade down and get more picks. Maybe someone wants to trade up for the tackle.

I don't think we should use the second overall pick on a tackle to move him to RT. We can probably get one later on (Seattle pick). We probably shouldn't move a guy (Becton) that projects as a great LT to RT.  Still, if we draft Sewell, it's not the worst thing in the world to have 2 potentially great tackles.

If you can move down a few spots and still get a Wilson or Fields (if he drops) while picking up a couple of draft picks, then that's what I would do. It's like a free-roll if you can add another second rounder and something else.

As far as not being able to hire a great coach now that Lawrence is gone, the list wasn't that great anyway. We were already lamenting the lack of options. One thing is for sure. Gase needs to go.

I'm over it today. Does any Jets fan really think that it was going to happen? You know even if we had gone into the final game at 0-15, we would have found a way to beat NE. It's just inevitable.Our fate.

Of course what will happen knowing our history is that that Jacksonville pulls off a miracle win only for us to beat NE. Lol. I can see that happening.

Like someone mentioned above, being a Jets fan is like rooting for the Knicks. These teams are just destined to suck. As fans we just grown more numb by the day. I'll just savor the Rangers rebuild and hope that Steve Cohen can transform the Mets organization.

As for the Jets, once again they are one pick away from a true game-changer. It's early. My gut hopes that they trade down and get more picks. Maybe someone wants to trade up for the tackle.

I don't think we should use the second overall pick on a tackle to move him to RT. We can probably get one later on (Seattle pick). We probably shouldn't move a guy (Becton) that projects as a great LT to RT.  Still, if we draft Sewell, it's not the worst thing in the world to have 2 potentially great tackles.

If you can move down a few spots and still get a Wilson or Fields (if he drops) while picking up a couple of draft picks, then that's what I would do. It's like a free-roll if you can add another second rounder and something else.

As far as not being able to hire a great coach now that Lawrence is gone, the list wasn't that great anyway. We were already lamenting the lack of options. One thing is for sure. Gase needs to go.
I'm not over it but I agree with the sentiment. There was no way we were going winless. Just wasn't in the cards given certain things I'll get to later. It already took two borderline miracles to be there. It was destined to go awry. It's probably easier said to move down and get a QB than we think, though. Two tackles wouldn't be all bad, but I'm sure the alphas want to get paid at some point like left tackles do, so it might not be feasible to take two, no matter how injury-prone one might be. I'm just thinking that might enter their decision-making process. So there's that. And the coaching options really do kind of stink. Eric Bienemy's plays don't look so cute when you have Darnold and Herndon IV running plays like Mahomes and Kelce near the goal line and failing. Pat Fitzgerald works great during college, but he's a former college LB. Is he pro offense ready? And so on...

The later and sum of it all: Tne thing I'm still not over is it should have been an organizational decision not to play Gore, Darnold, etc. You had Morgan there. You had Johnson and Perine available, if I'm not mistaken. Why even chance a win? Hot garbage, this decision making. I'd be fine if Joe goes, too. Clean the whole house out. Sell the team. It all stinks. 

Last edited by a moderator:

If he's already out of the playoffs I could see Bill Belichick losing that game on purpose just to keep Lawrence out of his division.

The later and sum of it all: Tne thing I'm still not over is it should have been an organizational decision not to play Gore, Darnold, etc. You had Morgan there. You had Johnson and Perine available, if I'm not mistaken. Why even chance a win? Hot garbage, this decision making. I'd be fine if Joe goes, too. Clean the whole house out. Sell the team. It all stinks. 
It's hard to argue with that.  Don't worry Todd, the win will carry over to next season (like it did this year). You need to start building that winning culture! sigh

Should maybe pivot to Micah Parsons now. If I'm really outside the box then Chase or Pitts.

Creed Humphrey or a corner later in the 1st. RB with the 2.2.

That's what I'd do.

Should maybe pivot to Micah Parsons now. If I'm really outside the box then Chase or Pitts.

Creed Humphrey or a corner later in the 1st. RB with the 2.2.

That's what I'd do.
No way a TE at two. The Jets have so many different needs. The positional win shares -- any advanced metric you want -- don't hold for a TE. Get that hot garbage off my team immediately. 

And the blessing in disguise folks coming into our thread: An overall one has the same overall worth as two overall twos, according to Football Perspective. There was nothing good about yesterday. Can it. 

No way a TE at two. The Jets have so many different needs. The positional win shares -- any advanced metric you want -- don't hold for a TE. Get that hot garbage off my team immediately. 
It would be ridiculous, unless he's a Kelce type. Which I think he is. He's an absolute matchup nightmare.

Jets need elite players. Doesn't matter much if the "value" of a particular pick was maximized.

I think the ideal combo would be Parsons, Humphrey, and Harris/Etienne.

Jets need elite players. Doesn't matter much if the "value" of a particular pick was maximized.
Yes it does. Jamal Adams at safety vs. Pat Mahomes would like a word.

I mean, picking a TE at two is akin to carrying around a can of gasoline and some molotovs around some tires.

A non-blocking receiving tight end at two? Why not just take a receiver.

Positional value is incredibly important. Let's hope the Jets GM gets it right.

Yes it does. Jamal Adams at safety vs. Pat Mahomes would like a word.

I mean, picking a TE at two is akin to carrying around a can of gasoline and some molotovs around some tires.

A non-blocking receiving tight end at two? Why not just take a receiver.

Positional value is incredibly important. Let's hope the Jets GM gets it right.
Well we're getting pretty hypothetical now. There is no Mahomes available after pick #1 in this draft, so it's apples and oranges.

I am sorry for your fandom. I can tell this is really affecting you. I sympathize.

Well we're getting pretty hypothetical now. There is no Mahomes available after pick #1 in this draft, so it's apples and oranges.

I am sorry for your fandom. I can tell this is really affecting you. I sympathize.
No, Andy. Never meant it to be personalized. My apologies if it comes off that way. It's not affecting me that much. Reading the thread where people seem to be gloating is one thing, and I don't think you or ChiefD or a few others were doing that. That said, I think a TE is a horrendous idea at two if I'm a fan of, say, the London Partakers. That's a generalized sentiment as a football fan. An unknown TE at two is just the absolute wrong move. The Jets fan in me makes it the tire fire embellishment.

Surprised at the discussion re: living in NYC versus Jacksonville. These guys play football in a city for 4 months - doesn’t mean they live there all year round.

Well they're not going to take Pitts at two, so it's not worth the debate.

But taking Sewell at #2 doesn't make sense either. How much better do you need the LT position to be? Even if he's better than Becton, you'd have to move him to RT. So in essence...you drafted a RT at #2. Big whoop.

Then, if it's not Sewell, what other player/positions are in the top 10 that you'd take? You going to take a corner in Surtain or WR like Chase or Smith? Reach with Rousseau or Paye?

That's where this is worse than losing on Lawrence. Now you can't even maximize the value of #2 because who you SHOULD take there may not definitively improve your team.

Well they're not going to take Pitts at two, so it's not worth the debate.

But taking Sewell at #2 doesn't make sense either. How much better do you need the LT position to be? Even if he's better than Becton, you'd have to move him to RT. So in essence...you drafted a RT at #2. Big whoop.

Then, if it's not Sewell, what other player/positions are in the top 10 that you'd take? You going to take a corner in Surtain or WR like Chase or Smith? Reach with Rousseau or Paye?

That's where this is worse than losing on Lawrence. Now you can't even maximize the value of #2 because who you SHOULD take there may not definitively improve your team.
Probably right on Pitts. I should have taken that you were spitballing and not come so heavy about the debate aspect of things. As far as the bolded goes, I totally agree with your reasoning and was making the same point about overall value. From upthread, my response to this (yeah, I'm quoting myself but just so you can see how much I agree with you)

Two tackles wouldn't be all bad, but I'm sure the alphas want to get paid at some point like left tackles do, so it might not be feasible to take two, no matter how injury-prone one might be. I'm just thinking that might enter their decision-making process. So there's that.
So yeah, you're basically looking at not being able to maximize your value at two because there aren't apparently any dominant EDGE guys in this draft (I'm going off of the draftniks and what MAC_32 said about it in the IDP threads). So in addition to basically losing the equivalent of another first-round pick yesterday, you lost the ability to absolutely vastly improve your team because you'd already done so last year. The sure-fire thing at a position of undeniable value is already blocked by a potential (potential) All-Pro-caliber player there. 

So it's bad. But I must say that though it is a disaster for the NY Jets as an entity, when juxtaposed against the backdrop of truly important things in the world, it takes a back seat. Thank God I'm not thumping away in the politics or virus threads. This is all a diversion, thankfully, and a welcome one. 

So there's that. *shrugs*

Becton is a road grader type OT that they run behind exclusively now anyway - I don't see how having an elite level tackle on both sides could be a bad thing.

Jeepers...the Jets have nearly $51m in dead cap money. Oof. 
McCagnan, the gift that keeps giving. Actually JD played it smart. He knew that this team was going to be bad. He had lots of cap space and absorbed a lot of the damage this year (eg. Enunwa's $10m hit). Clears the slate for next year and a great cap outlook.  They will have tons of cap space while most teams will struggle when the cap goes down. 

Question that I'll have to dig in for both of our fanbases - what kind of history is there for teams trading up this high for an OT?

Of note to you guys - App State QB playing right now.

The tricky part for you guys is who is going to break the bank to get to #2?  Seems like Sewell is the rarest talent relative to his position and it is obvious my Bengals would snag him at 3.  But what heavy price does a team pay to move up and get him?  Is that anywhere near the kind of price teams normally pay to get a QB or edge that high?  And how far does Jets management want to move down if they are trading down?

Mike Brown is virtually impossible to hold hostage in these situations fwiw.

App State QB with a TD Pass btw

-QG

Assuming they don't land 1.1 which option would Jets fans prefer?

1. Take Fields or Wilson at 2

2. Trade down from 2 to team wanting to go up for a QB,  with the haul of picks and cap space build a better foundation around Darnold and give him that one more year he's still relatively cheap to see if he can turn it around.

3. Same as above but jettison Darnold and get Wentz-assuming comp is nothing which is a safe assumption.

Question that I'll have to dig in for both of our fanbases - what kind of history is there for teams trading up this high for an OT?

The tricky part for you guys is who is going to break the bank to get to #2?  Seems like Sewell is the rarest talent relative to his position and it is obvious my Bengals would snag him at 3.  But what heavy price does a team pay to move up and get him?  Is that anywhere near the kind of price teams normally pay to get a QB or edge that high?  And how far does Jets management want to move down if they are trading down?

-QG
When they know you don't need him? Difficult to ask for much.

:bag: mixed up my Zac's (App State QB vs BYU QB)

As you can imagine I am not focused on QB and currently averse to anyone named Zac given our wretched head coach.

-QG

I'm not expecting a haul for the pick - that's a pipe dream but if the Jets were to get a decent trade package, I assume it would be for a team to move up to get Fields and not Sewell.

Hey, Tony lived in a pretty nice place. Plus the neighborhood had Satriales, the Bada Bing, and just a short drive from the lovely Pine Barrens.
Loved trying to piece together how long the circuitous route Tony takes in the opening credits really would be.

-QG

Very true. Which is part of the reason you wouldn't catch me dead living there.
I live three blocks from the beach - NJ isn't all highways and smoke stacks. It's the richest state in the Nation per capita. I'm guessing wealthy people aren't choosing to live in a ####-hole.

The ignorance of people who have no clue just annoys me. Sorry for snapping back - but I'm sure you like where you live also and would take offense if people ignorantly dumped on Minnesota. 

I live three blocks from the beach - NJ isn't all highways and smoke stacks. It's the richest state in the Nation per capita. I'm guessing wealthy people aren't choosing to live is a ####-hole.

The ignorance of people who have no clue just annoys me. Sorry for snapping back - but I'm sure you like where you live also and would take offense if people ignorantly dumped on Minnesota. 
No. I actually loathe nearly everything about Minnesota. 

As somebody who once loathed New York and was all about New England and Boston, New York is a great place to live if you've got the money. For a twenty or young thirty year-old with the cash? It's really the place to be if you like diversions of any sort, down to even the food choices. The world is your oyster with the cash.

I can also see where one might not like NY. There's a lot of hustle, bustle, noise, dirt, crime, tourists, etc. It's primed to be the central point of the ages-old city/country debate in America. It's self-congratulatory, which turns people off. Almost to the point of insularity.

But it's a great place to be if you look at it right. "Cause one in a while you can show me the light/in the strangest of places if you look at right" - Grateful Dead, Scarlet Begonias

Jet fans:  You need to persuade a senior Clemson cornerback to legally change his name to Trevor Lawrence - and then just wait for Roger Goodell to read out, "With the first pick in the 2021 draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select ..."

No takebacks!

I can also see where one might not like NY. There's a lot of hustle, bustle, noise, dirt, crime, tourists, etc. It's primed to be the central point of the ages-old city/country debate in America. It's self-congratulatory, which turns people off. Almost to the point of insularity.

But it's a great place to be if you look at it right. "Cause one in a while you can show me the light/in the strangest of places if you look at right" - Grateful Dead, Scarlet Begonias
New York has got ways and means, but just won’t let you be

With all of our needs, I doubt JD spends a first round pick on a RB.  He might add another guy in the middle rounds though.
Rage I get it...I really do. The unwritten rule in the NFL says you never take a RB in the first round. Well there are exceptions to every rule and Etienne is the exception this so called rule.

This kid is special...major league home run hitter as he's the complete package. Jets have never had anyone like him....EVER!! NO Bruce Harper doesn't count...lol...Time to change that because it's worked out so well for us to not have a weapon like him over the years...right? Have you seen him play? If so, you see how ridiculous he is. There is no one like him coming out of college or even close!

We wouldn't be taking him in the top 5 like a Fourcette, Saquon or an Ezekiel....we are talking about late 1st round which is perfect time to take him. Heck if we could do what the Vikings did and take Etienne in the 2nd round like they did with Dalvin Cook a few years ago....great. But he won't be available than and I wouldn't take the chance he will be cause another team will be chomping at the bit for him.

I'm not saying you forgoe drafting an O-lineman Douglass might like there if he slips but if Etienne is staring at us with let's say the 27th pick, if I'm Douglass I snag Etienne and don't look back and use the dozen or so other draft pieces we'll have as well as zillions of dollars to address other needs. Etienne is a special animal...he'd be awesome in Jet green and white!

There's no way I'd want a RB or a TE in the first round. That's where you fill up on players with positional value. Depending on how the receivers fall, I think you've got to seriously consider a Chase or Bateman there.

If he's already out of the playoffs I could see Bill Belichick losing that game on purpose just to keep Lawrence out of his division.
I'm kind of with you. I spelled out the scenario earlier as this would be THE most Jet like thing to occur. Maybe you missed it as there's been alot of posts today understandably. But  I'll reiterate it once again what I said this morning. 

Jets lose to the Browns next week but Trubisky turns into the real Trubisky and not this imposter who has been portraying him the past 3 weeks. He throws 3 picks and Jags upset the Bears giving the Jets once again the leg up on Lawrence. Jet Nation is relieved as the football gods actually are smiling upon us for a change of pace.

Week 16 comes and Jags lose to the Colts BUT and here's where the most "Jet like thing" too occur happens. Belichek who never ever benchs his starters even when he has home field in the playoffs all wrapped up in the past, decides for ####s and giggles and of course to troll the hated Jets, he'll bench Cam and some of the other starters and gives some of his kids a chance to play.

The Jets don't know what to do other than play hard and they win the friggen game and once and for all hand Trevor Lawrence over to the Jags for the 2nd and final time and once again Jet Nation is besides itself ruing our rotten luck, cursing the football gods and Belichek and once again saying we are simply cursed and we always will be.

Now you or anyone tell me that you can't possibly see something like that playing out? I dare you!!....lol

Ain't no boogeyman named Belichick going to ruin the Jets' chances. That was taken care of already by our upper management and front office. No way should Gase have been given the reins to Gore and Darnold for the last three games. James Morgan should have been starting those games, and Frank Gore shouldn't have sniffed turf much less been tackled on it.

-QG
I feel like Fields is going to go #2 for sure.

Rage I get it...I really do. The unwritten rule in the NFL says you never take a RB in the first round. Well there are exceptions to every rule and Etienne is the exception this so called rule.

This kid is special...major league home run hitter as he's the complete package. Jets have never had anyone like him....EVER!! NO Bruce Harper doesn't count...lol...Time to change that because it's worked out so well for us to not have a weapon like him over the years...right? Have you seen him play? If so, you see how ridiculous he is. There is no one like him coming out of college or even close!

We wouldn't be taking him in the top 5 like a Fourcette, Saquon or an Ezekiel....we are talking about late 1st round which is perfect time to take him. Heck if we could do what the Vikings did and take Etienne in the 2nd round like they did with Dalvin Cook a few years ago....great. But he won't be available than and I wouldn't take the chance he will be cause another team will be chomping at the bit for him.

I'm not saying you forgoe drafting an O-lineman Douglass might like there if he slips but if Etienne is staring at us with let's say the 27th pick, if I'm Douglass I snag Etienne and don't look back and use the dozen or so other draft pieces we'll have as well as zillions of dollars to address other needs. Etienne is a special animal...he'd be awesome in Jet green and white!
I've seen him play, but it doesn't matter who I like or don't like. I just don't think JD will spend top draft equity on a RB. It doesn't appear to be his style.  Look at the slugs he's brought in. Gore. Ballage.Adams.  He doesn't seem to care too much about the position right now. He probably has a half dozen other priorities.

Users who are viewing this thread