What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (6 Viewers)

Seems like Najee isn't the right fit for the Shanahan scheme. Don't they want a guy to make one cut and go? To me it seems like Najee is a much more patient runner who likes to pick and choose, use his quick feet and just charge full speed through the line. 
You're exactly right. I think that was mentioned in the post or in the text of the linked article. Or maybe it wasn't. I read some of this on the way home from the aforementioned eye doctor, so maybe I'm dreaming. But Harris, to the best of my limited knowledge, would not be a good fit for the wide-zone scheme. That's best served by a very fast back who's a one-cut and go back that hits top speed quickly, can get to the edge, and then cut upfield.

I'm doing only an adequate job describing it. If you watch it, you see the speed and the edge or misdirection and the one-cut.

Mostert against the Jets

Mostert 2020 highlights

They love running the toss sweep with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're exactly right. I think that was mentioned in the post or in the text of the linked article. Or maybe it wasn't. I read some of this on the way home from the aforementioned eye doctor, so maybe I'm dreaming. But Harris, to the best of my limited knowledge, would not be a good fit for the wide-zone scheme. That's best served by a very fast back who's a one-cut and go back that hits top speed quickly, can get to the edge, and then cut upfield.

I'm doing only an adequate job describing it. If you watch it, you see the speed and the edge or misdirection and the one-cut.

Mostert against the Jets

Mostert 2020 highlights

They love running the toss sweep with him.
Seems much more like a ETN landing spot 

There also aren't necessarily any elite RBs in the draft. Harris, Etienne, and Williams all have their flaws. Harris and Williams lack the speed for the SF wide zone system, according to those in the know of the workings of said zone. That leaves you with Etienne. I don't disagree with you about surrounding the new QB with talent, but the RBs are what they are, and the system is what it is.
See? I've been thinking the same thing you are...

:lmao:

Thanks, bud. Not so good on the XP tip, then. 93% is the golden number. Where'd you get these stats? I'd be interested to look at league averages for 40+ and 50+, though 40-49 has got be some sort of sliding scale downward, one would think. 40-45 should be different than 45-49.

Jets really weren't very good at anything last year, were they?
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/kicking.htm

Chuba Hubbard is a nice fit later in the draft
Yep. Wrote that in this thread a while ago. Thought that he might be a good fit pre-testing because of his purported breakaway track speed. But he didn't test too well. That said, I'm inclined to downplay his pro day as an anomaly because the highlights don't lie, and he looks faster than most. He's certainly an option.

Right now, it looks like Elijah Mitchell and Khalil Herbert are probably, testing-wise, the guys that have the speed to play in this system. They're generally considered 4th rounders or below. Jermar Jefferson didn't test well, but he played in a wide zone scheme or something like it at Oregon State.

I'd look for those guys or one of the smaller backs like Javian Hawkins or Gainwell or something like that, too.

Undersized, fast, and without much draft capital is generally how SF liked them.

Seems like Najee isn't the right fit for the Shanahan scheme. Don't they want a guy to make one cut and go? To me it seems like Najee is a much more patient runner who likes to pick and choose, use his quick feet and not just charge full speed through the line. 
Yes that blurb said Harris wasn’t a fit so they would more likely wait and draft Carter or Herbert on Day2/3.

This is why I hated that JD left such a big hole at CB....I really wanted this draft to be all about surrounding the new QB with talent...something they didnt do with Sam.....the defense is solid as is - especially as its Saleh's strength...but the gaping hole at CB just cant be ignored so Im pretty sure they will select one out of the 1st 3 picks....Id much rather go IOL, RB, WR with the 1st 3 picks but dont think JD would wit that long....
The gaping hole at CB absolutely can be ignored. The 2021 New York Jets aren't competing for anything. The arc for this team is to begin competing in 2022, realistically be legit come 2023, and quality defenses generally have shorter shelf lives anyway. A .500'ish season with an ascending offense and leaky defense would be a capital W. 

Shove this year's chips in on the offensive side of the ball with a tentative goal of flipping to the other side of the ball next year.

:lmao:

Thanks, bud. Not so good on the XP tip, then. 93% is the golden number. Where'd you get these stats? I'd be interested to look at league averages for 40+ and 50+, though 40-49 has got be some sort of sliding scale downward, one would think. 40-45 should be different than 45-49.

Jets really weren't very good at anything last year, were they?
Jets had some decent kickers recently in Folk and Myers....just need to find the right journeyman....one teams trash is another treasure when it comes to kicking.  Such an important position but so random as well

Listening to Kiper this am on ESPN - everyone has Wilson locked into the Jets....I still wouldnt be shocked if JD picks Fields and throws the draft into disarray - one thing about JD - he doesnt do leaks.  He wants the Wilson narrative out....could be true but I think its dangerous to assume its a lock.  

The gaping hole at CB absolutely can be ignored. The 2021 New York Jets aren't competing for anything. The arc for this team is to begin competing in 2022, realistically be legit come 2023, and quality defenses generally have shorter shelf lives anyway. A .500'ish season with an ascending offense and leaky defense would be a capital W. 

Shove this year's chips in on the offensive side of the ball with a tentative goal of flipping to the other side of the ball next year.
I completely agree with you - but I have yet to see a Jets GM focus on offense.....I was hoping for more so far...with a defensive coach and the talent already in place I have total confidence that the D will keep them in games....the O is still light years behind the league.....hopefully JD just grabs Sherman as a stop gap and waits on D until next year.  

I completely agree with you - but I have yet to see a Jets GM focus on offense.....I was hoping for more so far...with a defensive coach and the talent already in place I have total confidence that the D will keep them in games....the O is still light years behind the league.....hopefully JD just grabs Sherman as a stop gap and waits on D until next year.  
I think this is the fallback option should the draft go in a different direction. I kind of wish they'd sign him now before the draft, but Douglas seems very methodical in his approach.

I do think with whatever QB the Jets take being Douglas' legacy he will make sure he does everything to help that QB be successful.

I think this is the fallback option should the draft go in a different direction. I kind of wish they'd sign him now before the draft, but Douglas seems very methodical in his approach.
I think most interesting unsigned veterans will wait until August to sign somewhere. Part to justify skipping training camp and all that's required prior, but also because they may have more leverage then vs now. 

I agree with this - Wilson at 2, best available OL at 23, and RB or another OL at 34. Preferably RB if they feel whoever is available can fit the scheme.

I agree with this - Wilson at 2, best available OL at 23, and RB or another OL at 34. Preferably RB if they feel whoever is available can fit the scheme.
I would love that!   The O is in dire need of a talent infusion.  Watching the Jets O then watching another team like KC or GB and it looks like a different sport. Jets GMs have been fascinated with defense for decades while the league became Offensive centric....I really hope JD shifts toward the O.   

I think you might be forgetting an important part of that equation: Sherman would probably prefer to play for a better team or on the west coast.  Although he was hurt last year, he did play at a high level, especially for his age. I'm sure some contender will make room for him.

But yeah, I wish that they would sign a CB before the draft.  All we can do now is listen to the Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars and wait for the draft......

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Put your ray gun to my head
Press your space face close to mine, love
Freak out in a moonage daydream, oh yeah

Jets had some decent kickers recently in Folk and Myers....just need to find the right journeyman....one teams trash is another treasure when it comes to kicking.  Such an important position but so random as well

Listening to Kiper this am on ESPN - everyone has Wilson locked into the Jets....I still wouldnt be shocked if JD picks Fields and throws the draft into disarray - one thing about JD - he doesnt do leaks.  He wants the Wilson narrative out....could be true but I think its dangerous to assume its a lock.  
I miss Pat Leahy

Kiper has become an out of touch buffoon. He had all these strong hot takes about the the Jets QB and draft situation earlier in the off-season and now has flip-flopped. Somehow he will spin it a year from now (or by the draft) that he had the nail on the head from the start.

The one thing I don't get is why the Jets would need a smokescreen. Everyone knows that the Jags are taking Lawrence and aren't trading down. Even if JD wanted Fields, the Jags wouldn't trade out of that spot.

I heard some ridiculous theory (which I later read on the FBG forum and Twitter) that SF wants JD to believe that they want Jones, so that JD gets persuaded to take him over Wilson because SF is hot for him. LOL. Ok,  The Jets don't need to come out and say that the want Wilson, but they have no need for smokescreens at this point. The pick is theirs for whomever they want. Could they still take Fields, possibly, but look at the clues (timing of the Darnold trade, Steve Young's comments, not going to the second Fields workout, etc).

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-pro-execs-scouts-coaches-break-down-the-qb-class

There's no spotlight like New York, where the Jets own the No. 2 overall pick. If Zach Wilson stays healthy, he has the talent to be a superstar. "If I was picking No. 1 -- hoo, man, it'd be hard for me not to take him over Trevor," an AFC quarterbacks coach said. "He's got real playmaking ability. He's shorter (than Lawrence) -- I get it. But he's got ball all about him. He makes plays -- unique plays."

Watching Steve Young cry about the Jets keeping Zach Wilson from SF was ridiculous....pundits are acting like the Jets are going to ruin him before they even draft him....

There’s a lot of dumb takes in that thread.
Oh baby, I can think of two guys with some hot takes in that one. One even came over to our thread to tell us we were taking Fields. A month or so ago. Or maybe it feels like a month or so again. But it's someone whose name shall not be invoked, so I'll let it lie.

Dunno. I kind of agree. If you keep Darnold you could trade 1.2 for some pretty serious help for him.
Draft week is my favorite week of the year, so the insomnia is especially bad. I must be really tired because I immediately read your name as Gregg Allman. Ha.

I'm not sure how much you watched him, but Sam was a drag on everyone around him. You get him that help and the offense would still be inefficient and I'm not sure how Mr. Aw Shucks is going to handle everyone booing him. Then next year you're trading both of your firsts, whatever is left from that trade haul, and potentially future picks to move up and hopefully get a QB that is close to having the potential of this year's class.

I've been saying from the start that moving on with a new QB was the right choice. JD thought so, too. Was it a no-brainer decision? Probably not even though some of us thought so.

That said, Sam gets to restart in Carolina with low expectations. No pressure and the fans will be on his side. Good coaching staff. Good players around him to help him be a better QB. I have my strong doubts about his upside, but I'm sure he will be better.

The Jets got a good return for him. The Panthers have two years to see if they got a potential "franchise" QB without having to give up a first rounder for him. Sam gets to call Ghostbusters and wipe away his ugly history with a chance to become a new QB in Carolina. Win-Win-Win trade.

This is why they pay you the big :moneybag: , ain't it, NY?

lol
And I thought it was the fairest post I could possibly make about Darnold under current conditions.

I defended him and made excuses for the guy the first two years (almost like a NY version of Soulfly).

Then this year I finally and quickly dealt with Draft Grief. I moved on from denial (he made some great passes, he is a franchise QB), bargaining (if he had some help around him), anger & depression (our record and his constant injuries, turnovers, missed open receivers, running out of bounds and losing fg range) to finally accepting that Sam sucks and that we would get a new QB (hope).

And I thought it was the fairest post I could possibly make about Darnold under current conditions.

I defended him and made excuses for the guy the first two years (almost like a NY version of Soulfly).
It was a fair post. And we all defended him to a degree. Read that thread about Sam. I'm in there defending him in his second year or so. I was almost back on board after that throw in Indy. But no, Sam was terrible when he played for the Jets. Will he go on to have a great career in Carolina? We don't know. Best to hit reset on this whole thing, it seems. I hope we're not wrong.

The Ghostbusters thing just made me laugh. "I'm seeing ghosts out there." Jesus.

Miami Herald writer Barry Jackson wrote a piece about how long it takes to know if a QB is gonna be good. In past years, it took longer to know if a guy would succeed, Brees is an example, and Marino was the exception. But in recent years, IIRC, it only takes about 5 or 6 games to know. Tua had one very good game vs the Cardinals, the rest were game mangers types in blowouts, or poor games vs Denver, the Raiders, and Bills. But maybe he wasn't full strength. Darnold has had 3 years, so I'm not buying.

It was a fair post. And we all defended him to a degree. Read that thread about Sam. I'm in there defending him in his second year or so. I was almost back on board after that throw in Indy. But no, Sam was terrible when he played for the Jets. Will he go on to have a great career in Carolina? We don't know. Best to hit reset on this whole thing, it seems. I hope we're not wrong.

The Ghostbusters thing just made me laugh. "I'm seeing ghosts out there." Jesus.
I always thought the ghost thing was so overblown and I even cringed as I typed Ghostbusters. Still, it's one of those moments like the buttfumble that led to just more derision.

Best for all to move on. Listen, no one knows how life will turn out. You make decisions on the best information that you have at the moment. No regrets.

Miami Herald writer Barry Jackson wrote a piece about how long it takes to know if a QB is gonna be good. In past years, it took longer to know if a guy would succeed, Brees is an example, and Marino was the exception. But in recent years, IIRC, it only takes about 5 or 6 games to know. Tua had one very good game vs the Cardinals, the rest were game mangers types in blowouts, or poor games vs Denver, the Raiders, and Bills. But maybe he wasn't full strength. Darnold has had 3 years, so I'm not buying.
Covid has mucked things up a bit. It doesn't help these young QBs not having mini-camps and exhibition games. Plus a QB like Tua is coming off a major injury. I think you probably need a second season even if you have serious doubts after the first one.

Conversely, a guy like Herbert looked great right away. You pray a rookie QB looks like him right away. Burrow looked pretty good, too.  Murray has some warts, but he looked promising right away, too. 

I will be praying that Wilson starts off well. Mistakes will happen. You just have to hope they learn from their mistakes....something that Darnold never seemed to do. At least I've heard interviews with BYU people that say that Wilson makes mistakes, but never the same ones twice. Plus he is a film study junkie, although we heard that about Sam, too. We'll see.

Covid has mucked things up a bit. It doesn't help these young QBs not having mini-camps and exhibition games. Plus a QB like Tua is coming off a major injury. I think you probably need a second season even if you have serious doubts after the first one.

Conversely, a guy like Herbert looked great right away. You pray a rookie QB looks like him right away. Burrow looked pretty good, too.  Murray has some warts, but he looked promising right away, too. 

I will be praying that Wilson starts off well. Mistakes will happen. You just have to hope they learn from their mistakes....something that Darnold never seemed to do. At least I've heard interviews with BYU people that say that Wilson makes mistakes, but never the same ones twice. Plus he is a film study junkie, although we heard that about Sam, too. We'll see.
Part of the Gase effect was he never let Sam just go out and sling in.....he was always reigned in....now maybe thats because he couldnt handle an ipen game plan but thats a big reason why hes such an unknown.  

Im not expecting Wilson to play like Herbert out of the gate....but I do want to see a lot more "glimpses" than Sam showed and a big time step his 2d yr

Part of the Gase effect was he never let Sam just go out and sling in.....he was always reigned in....now maybe thats because he couldnt handle an ipen game plan but thats a big reason why hes such an unknown.  

Im not expecting Wilson to play like Herbert out of the gate....but I do want to see a lot more "glimpses" than Sam showed and a big time step his 2d yr
We'll have to disagree on this one. I think Sam is pretty known at this point. He's slung it enough with bad results.

It will sound like a broken record, but his game film is ugly and I'm not just talking about what we see on tv every week. It's the break down in slow motion from multiple angles. The decision-making, timing, and bad mechanics paints a very ugly picture and backs up why he is the worst starter in the league right now. 

I think some people still have a "hopeful" perception of Sam based on his draft position and his once in a while great throws on the move. They think he can somehow harness his moments of greatness into consistent production, but this is overlooking his many flaws.

To me, the part that is unknown is whether he can develop the ability to read defenses (not yet) and to stop turning over the ball (never has). Carolina can probably clean up his mechanics and make decisions easy for him (maybe something that Gase never considered because of his hubris regarding his system). That alone will make him a better QB. If they fix that, than he has higher upside than Teddy B.

I think that was said a few times in here and I agree that Douglas now has to do whatever he can to help make the new QB successful. They really could virtually ignore defense and still be ok there with what they have after signing a veteran CB as well. I wouldn’t be upset if they use the second 1st on a CB but I wouldn’t mind three straight picks on offense.

I think, way back when, this was my concern with the Saleh hire. That there might be an emphasis on defense in the draft. Personally, aside from one RB and OL help (the latter being the more crucial, IMO) they might not do much on offense given who they hired as coach. I don't want to blaspheme the mocks and their supposed needs, but Cimini writing that Douglas should take a two and burn it to trade up to get Waddle or DeVonta Smith is moronic. We have receivers. Yeah, we could use a bona fide number one guy, but Waddle and Smith don't seem like WR1s to me in this league. And we need those picks. Every one of them. So the Saleh/defense thing is still something to look out for. I do think it matters in the overall scheme of things.

I hope they prove me wrong.

I think, way back when, this was my concern with the Saleh hire. That there might be an emphasis on defense in the draft. Personally, aside from one RB and OL help (the latter being the more crucial, IMO) they might not do much on offense given who they hired as coach. I don't want to blaspheme the mocks and their supposed needs, but Cimini writing that Douglas should take a two and burn it to trade up to get Waddle or DeVonta Smith is moronic. We have receivers. Yeah, we could use a bona fide number one guy, but Waddle and Smith don't seem like WR1s to me in this league. And we need those picks. Every one of them. So the Saleh/defense thing is still something to look out for. I do think it matters in the overall scheme of things.

I hope they prove me wrong.
I can’t say that won’t happen but I’m hoping Saleh is on board with developing his QB, who will also define Saleh’s tenure.

I agree on not trading up for a WR. I think they’re ok there and like you said need the picks. Somehow Douglas needs to build a line. I can’t believe he doesn’t know this, so hopefully he has a plan for that.

I guess Im so down on Gase that it erases some of the stank on Sam....I just think he had god awful coaching between Bates and Gase - both out of the league.

The trade up is interesting....I could live with trading a 2d next year if it gets them a Waddle/Smith or a stud T/OG that drops....I know they have a lot of holes but they also dont have a lot of playmaking studs....if they can get one Im ok with that

I am also nervous with a defensive HC - every they have had one in the past they try to create a big time defense and ignore the O....it just doesnt work in todays NFL and JD needs to steer the ship toward offense.  

I would like to see the Jets trade for Ertz if he comes at a reasonable price.  IIRC that was talked about a while ago, but I don't remember if Douglas ever actually looked into it or what PHI wants for him.

I would like to see the Jets trade for Ertz if he comes at a reasonable price.  IIRC that was talked about a while ago, but I don't remember if Douglas ever actually looked into it or what PHI wants for him.
As a safety valve for a rookie QB I’d be ok with Ertz but the price would need to be cheap, since he doesn’t fit a longer term plan.

I’m thinking he’s want to go somewhere and win anyway.

This draft is going to be nuts.

From a Jets perspective, we have a ton of picks, but even more than a ton of needs. We can go in every direction starting with our second first round pick. Throw in JD's style of moving around the draft board last year and anything is in play this year. How much offense do we draft to support our new QB? How much defense to appease our new coach? So many needs from switching our offense and defensive systems.

From a general perspective: No Combine this year (tougher to compare players in a similar environment, ability to have personal time with the prospects, etc). No personal visits with the players. Area scouts could not travel to games. A big factor is not being able to follow up on the Medical Combine. There just isn't enough information this year, especially medically. You're going to see players dropping on the board. Teams will know why, but the fans will be screaming for their teams to draft these fallers and call their teams idiots for overlooking them. Draft rankings may go out the window with such limited info. We'll think teams are really going off the board on some of these picks.

Let's not forget about the Covid impact on the games itself. QBs didn't have their O-linemen or WRs for certain games (e.g. Fields). Some games were scheduled 2 days before played (e.g Wilson versus Coastal Carolina, his worst game). Some teams had completely inconsistent schedules: a game here, a game there, not consistently every week. Some players only had one game (Lance). Some players opted out for part of the season or all season.

Good luck to the GMs this year.

This draft is going to be nuts.
I just hope there's a few o-linemen in there somewhere. I actually think the weapons in the passing game are at least league average now (Davis, Crowder, Mims, Cole, Herndon, Kroft...) - but would like a RB added in there somewhere.

Douglas should be looking at this like 2022 is the year they make the playoff run and this draft should be all about making life easier on a rookie QB.

I just hope there's a few o-linemen in there somewhere. I actually think the weapons in the passing game are at least league average now (Davis, Crowder, Mims, Cole, Herndon, Kroft...) - but would like a RB added in there somewhere.

Douglas should be looking at this like 2022 is the year they make the playoff run and this draft should be all about making life easier on a rookie QB.
I'm sure we draft 2 offensive linemen. One has to be a guard. I can see us drafting a tackle that moves to guard at least in the first season that offers some o-line flexibility. Maybe the other one plays both center and guard. Or maybe we just draft a center that allows us to move McGovern.

Our "weapons" are passable compared to the past. We could use some speed and game-breakers (maybe a WR with speed. Definitely a RB with speed).. As much as we hoped for Herndon to become the guy, last year was scary bad. Unfortunately, this year probably isn't the year for a TE upgrade (other than Pitts who we can't get, but boy do I dream about a Wilson to Pitts combo).

If anything, we'll draft a TE/H-back combo that can also play fullback. Ben Mason is a player compared to Juszczyk. Another TE possibility is Tommy Tremble.

We definitely need a CB and a LB or two in the draft.

Edge is the big question. I think our line is good enough for this year.We have Q, Rankins, Lawson, and some decent other young players to mix in plus Curry.  Ideally, they will want another pass rusher for this defense. Hopefully they wait until next year for that stud pass rusher opposite Lawson. We'll have 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders next year. Grab your edge player next year.

So, defensively, draft a CB somewhere before the 4th round. Grab a LB in the middle round and maybe another one late.

Everything else should be offense: 2 linemen, a TE, a WR, and a RB.

Next year, get an edge, more linemen, a TE, maybe a top RB. Throw in another WR. We'll be good to go.

Definitely like the idea of getting a TE upgrade - but Ertz is too old for my liking - JD has concentrated on younger players - agree with the importance of a safety outlet for the new QB tho

We are almost all in agreement on an offense centric draft.....scares me a bit as GMs like to go against the grain lol

Another thing to think about - Fant, McGovern, Van Roten and Lewis all can be cut after this season with very little dead money - that would be a total savings of $28.5M - thats a lot of savings for 4 very replaceable mediocre pieces....if JD can find 2 draft picks to replace them and dumpster dive for depth that would be huge.....based on this  I think he will go 2 OL very early.  

We are almost all in agreement on an offense centric draft.....scares me a bit as GMs like to go against the grain lol

Another thing to think about - Fant, McGovern, Van Roten and Lewis all can be cut after this season with very little dead money - that would be a total savings of $28.5M - thats a lot of savings for 4 very replaceable mediocre pieces....if JD can find 2 draft picks to replace them and dumpster dive for depth that would be huge.....based on this  I think he will go 2 OL very early.  
It would be nice if Cameron Clark could at least become serviceable this season. That 4th round last year was a doozy. Perine was the only one of the three picks to see the field and he barely did.

It would be nice if Cameron Clark could at least become serviceable this season. That 4th round last year was a doozy. Perine was the only one of the three picks to see the field and he barely did.
definitely - 3rd and 4th rds are not looking good so far - thats 5 players in the mid rounds that are not looking like starters or major contributors so far.....really hope the new staff coaches them up...those are the ones you need to hit on to be at least rotational starters.  

Hell, even Julie Ertz would be an upgrade over most of our TEs.

I wouldn't mind a Zach attack offense, but his cap hit is kind of high for his age. He gets banged up, too.

Users who are viewing this thread