What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (15 Viewers)

Interesting, and partly true. If I were to take it seriously instead of the joke/need pointing out your post does, considering the expendable nature of RBs there, I don't think even that would get it done.

But that was an interesting post, all kidding aside. I don't mean to slag it. You think a fourth-rounder added to Mims gets Aiyuk, though, in seriousness?

I doubt it.
I was kidding based on Shanny's RB obsession.  As for Aiyuk, I highly doubt he is for sale.  It was one game.  Let's see what Shanny does with his offense this week before calling all his players stars/duds/tradable/etc

I was kidding based on Shanny's RB obsession.  As for Aiyuk, I highly doubt he is for sale.  It was one game.  Let's see what Shanny does with his offense this week before calling all his players stars/duds/tradable/etc
Yeah, I figured you weren't serious.

I totally agree with everything you said as a real football or fantasy football fan. It's just nice to dream about dumping an unwanted and sporadically available guy for a guy like Aiyuk. It's dream-worthy. That's all that's going on.

Yeah, I figured you weren't serious.

I totally agree with everything you said as a real football or fantasy football fan. It's just nice to dream about dumping an unwanted and sporadically available guy for a guy like Aiyuk. It's dream-worthy. That's all that's going on.
Post was made in jest, hence the FF reference - but having said that, I think I like that proposal from Deamon lol.

This is the simplest Jets thread title that I've seen in a long time.

Interesting game this week. Battle of the rookie QBs and basically good vs evil.

I'm so excited to watch Wilson this year. He's already shown so much more than big-head Sam ever did. We've been so desperate for a real QB for the longest time. I remember getting excited at the thought of having a franchise QB when we drafted Sam. I'm hesitant to say it after the Sam experience (insert Charlie Brown trying to kick the football meme), but all the signs are there.

Hopefully the o-line plays better. As bad as the line played, our TE blocking was even worse. I don't know how JD ignored the position. You need good blockers in this system.

You know BB will make life a living hell on Sunday. Here's hoping for the best.

I'm really hoping that the sheer horribleness of Sunday's blocking was at least partially due to two weird things....(Noted by the Jets writer at The Athletic, I believe)

- Carolina's LB's changing their numbers prior to kickoff, throwing off some of the O-line calls

- Carolina signing James Morgan and getting some intel about the scheme/call outs

That obviously wouldn't account for the complete disaster, but both could have been factors. Hopefully they play better tomorrow. Hard to play worse (although BB will certainly give them the opportunity to do it)

Becton's 2nd opinion resulting in surgery isn't ideal, but at the end of the day....they're not winning anything anyway.  So if that's the difference between 7 wins and 5 wins....so be it. They need to win SOME games this year (just to establish some sort of positive culture) and not get Wilson killed. Hopefully Fant and Moses are good enough to make that happen.

This is the simplest Jets thread title that I've seen in a long time.

Interesting game this week. Battle of the rookie QBs and basically good vs evil.

I'm so excited to watch Wilson this year. He's already shown so much more than big-head Sam ever did. We've been so desperate for a real QB for the longest time. I remember getting excited at the thought of having a franchise QB when we drafted Sam. I'm hesitant to say it after the Sam experience (insert Charlie Brown trying to kick the football meme), but all the signs are there.

Hopefully the o-line plays better. As bad as the line played, our TE blocking was even worse. I don't know how JD ignored the position. You need good blockers in this system.

You know BB will make life a living hell on Sunday. Here's hoping for the best.
I just saw a video with all of his plays. His mobility in the pocket to buy time is very good. He made a few bad throws, but several throws that looked like those from the top passers, like Cousins and Rodgers. Versus BB this week, they need more quick passes to the TEs and slot receivers, and rollouts. 

Last week, Miami took advantage of some 1 on 1 matchups, with Waddle succeeding on a 25 yard pass from Tua that was a slight underthrow and Parker on a 50-50 30 yard pass, plus a couple of quick slants including one to ice the game. I think Wilson is better than both Tua and Jones.

I'm really hoping that the sheer horribleness of Sunday's blocking was at least partially due to two weird things....(Noted by the Jets writer at The Athletic, I believe)

- Carolina's LB's changing their numbers prior to kickoff, throwing off some of the O-line calls

- Carolina signing James Morgan and getting some intel about the scheme/call outs

That obviously wouldn't account for the complete disaster, but both could have been factors. Hopefully they play better tomorrow. Hard to play worse (although BB will certainly give them the opportunity to do it)

Becton's 2nd opinion resulting in surgery isn't ideal, but at the end of the day....they're not winning anything anyway.  So if that's the difference between 7 wins and 5 wins....so be it. They need to win SOME games this year (just to establish some sort of positive culture) and not get Wilson killed. Hopefully Fant and Moses are good enough to make that happen.

The first part could have impacted things for maybe the first series at most. Not too hard to memorize 2 new numbers.

Morgan may aided in things, but if you're the Jets coaching staff, you know it's a possibility, so you might want to switch things up in the last 7-10 days.

Part of it was a new line that hadn't played together (AVT for one) and looked confused (especially AVT).

Another part is that our center and Van Roten are van rotten.

Wilson may have held the ball a bit long once or twice.

Our TEs are matadors.  Throw in a missed assignment or three from the RBs.

And last, but not least Becton got hurt yet again although he looked poor himself while he was playing.

Might as well sprinkle in a few of the play calls from the first time play-caller as the secret ingredient in our terrible blocking. What did he call to combat the pressure?

It was a collective failure by many as Saleh put it.

I just saw a video with all of his plays. His mobility in the pocket to buy time is very good. He made a few bad throws, but several throws that looked like those from the top passers, like Cousins and Rodgers. Versus BB this week, they need more quick passes to the TEs and slot receivers, and rollouts. 

Last week, Miami took advantage of some 1 on 1 matchups, with Waddle succeeding on a 25 yard pass from Tua that was a slight underthrow and Parker on a 50-50 30 yard pass, plus a couple of quick slants including one to ice the game. I think Wilson is better than both Tua and Jones.
Man you Jets fans kill me.  In what world does this abismal roster get to seven wins even without all the injuries it's faced?  An after the injuries how does it get to five?  They're not picking up wins in the division that's for sure.

And //Cousins// is a top passer now?  Kirk Cousins?  For real?  He's exactly the kind of qb you don't want for your franchise - not good enough to get your team over the hump but just good enough so that you're essentially stuck with him.  If that's what you guys are looking up to then it really has been a cold dark winter there in North Jersey.

Man you Jets fans kill me.  In what world does this abismal roster get to seven wins even without all the injuries it's faced?  An after the injuries how does it get to five?  They're not picking up wins in the division that's for sure.

And //Cousins// is a top passer now?  Kirk Cousins?  For real?  He's exactly the kind of qb you don't want for your franchise - not good enough to get your team over the hump but just good enough so that you're essentially stuck with him.  If that's what you guys are looking up to then it really has been a cold dark winter there in North Jersey.
Cousins as a passer is the floor for Wilson. Cousins is top 15 in arm strength, and top 10 in accuracy and touch. But Wilson also has very good scrambling ability, so he'll do more than Cousins. Obviously, Rodgers is the ceiling, but IIRC, both Mahomes and Rodgers took note of Wilson's preseason passing. Some of that was on display in game 1, versus a constant pass rush. Wilson is turning Corey Davis into a WR1.

Yes Jets fans are so wildly optimistic, how can we not be?

Maybe read things a little more carefully before your awkward attempt to troll a topic. For one thing, one of the guys you quoted is a Dolphins fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mims inactive today. I’m really disappointed they aren’t using him. Seems like a waste of talent. 

wgoldsph is good people.

But yes, SoBeDad is a Dolphins fan.

I'm the greatest, though.

I can't say anything everybody hasn't already said.

Let's hope it stays close today, boys!

As someone who rosters Mims in dynasty, it's time to deal him if you're going to pull this garbage. He's worse than the guys you have active?

Doubt it.

At least he's not wandering around the sidelines talking about ghosts.

There's that.

Run the football tonight, gents. They're coming at him from all places and disguising everything with zone blitzes.

Run the ball down their throat. You've got a start.

At least he's not wandering around the sidelines talking about ghosts.

There's that.

Run the football tonight, gents. They're coming at him from all places and disguising everything with zone blitzes.

Run the ball down their throat. You've got a start.
Second pick wasn’t hits fault. Hugh throw but hit Davis in the hands.

All I can do is laugh at this point.

For some additional laughs, these are the top threads on Jet Nation right now and I kid you not:

Zach Wilson needs to be on a leash next week

Deshaun Watson please

Yes we should have kept Darnold

The clock has officially started on JD

What year will we be competitive.

The official fire JD thread

Obviously far too early to make any judgments but this was the the kinda thing I was worried about with Wilson. His mechanics completely broke down in this one. Everything was off the back foot as he tried to make the glorious "off platform throws". The pats were perfectly content to let him throw 6 yard passes to berrios once they had a 2 score lead.

Certainly nowhere near close to " I told you so" territory but today was ugly

And their handling of Mims is criminal.  They should have traded him during the pre season if they didn't want him.

Wilson was really bad today, but they're calling all these throws downfield (that take time to develop and are a lot riskier) while NE is making nice & safe underneath passes.

It probably doesn't matter today, but one team was definitely putting their QB in better position to succeed.

Simplify things next week.

rockaction said:
That wasn't anybody's fault but Wilson's.

Time to take the ball out of his hands. This is a Belichick disaster.
Probably right on both accounts. Certainly it's poor play by Wilson. But also....how many times, how many years, how well documented and discussed has it been that Belichick destroys rookie QBs? You either sit Wilson for the game, or (more realistically) with that massive a deficit and little momentum putting any drive together all day, at some point in the 3rd Q or the end at least you take him out.

There's a fine line between learning through adversity and letting the kid become demoralized. The Jets of all teams should know coming off of the heels of Darnold.

Wilson was really bad today, but they're calling all these throws downfield (that take time to develop and are a lot riskier) while NE is making nice & safe underneath passes.

It probably doesn't matter today, but one team was definitely putting their QB in better position to succeed.

Simplify things next week.

Bingo...the key to any young QB is good coaching and I would be nervous about what I saw today from the Jets coaching staff...even though he made some dumb plays you can see the kid has skills but the coaching did him no favors today.

Last edited by a moderator:
The o-line actually held up fairly well this week. I have no idea what Wilson was doing out there on some of those throws.

I really have to say, I'm not sure how much I can invest in this team anymore - I'm truly feel like Charlie Brown the second I have any hope at all.

The o-line actually held up fairly well this week. I have no idea what Wilson was doing out there on some of those throws.

I really have to say, I'm not sure how much I can invest in this team anymore - I'm truly feel like Charlie Brown the second I have any hope at all.

Emotionally divesting myself from this #### show a few years back was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Outside of maybe 3 years in ~30 years I've been a fan, the Jets have never done anything for me. They dont deserve my concern.

I know the shift in offensively philosophy obviously didn't help, but Douglas isn't looking so hot right now (other than the Adams trade). At this point, his first draft is basically a total bust. Becton is obviously the gem from a talent standpoint, but if he's not a fit for the new system, they may be forced to trade him for pennies on the dollar.

Mims is clearly on his way out

Zuniga appears to be practice squad fodder

Davis is always hurt (just like he was in college, from what I remember)

Morgan was a total waste.

Perine is a JAG at best. Likely gone after this year.

I dont believe Cameron Clark has been active for a game yet.

Mann is a solid punter, but obviously hurt now (clearly not Douglas' fault)

Bryce Hall at least plays, so that's good.

This year's crop seems better, but if Wilson aint it, none of it matters.

Whatever. At least I have my fantasy team.

I know it's doom and gloom today, and I'll often bring the doom and gloom when others bring the positive, so let me bring the positive while others bring the doom and gloom.

It was Belichick, and the the final score with a raw rookie in his second game was only 25-6.

Do you remember the ghosts and the butt fumble? Those both happened against the Patriots. Nothing made me want to turn off the television yesterday but for the thought of what people were saying if Wilson threw another pick. His picks, besides one, didn't phase me. They all looked like typical rookie mistakes besides his pick in the flat. I have no idea what he was looking at.

But Sam's four picks in his second year against New England? Those were awful.

Sanchez's however many years at QB? That was awful.

I think Wilson can actually make the throws. Allow him room to grow, and he eventually will. Even on the Jets.

Lawrence has struggled. Burrow threw three bad picks yesterday.

Not all doom and gloom. These guys have bumps. Darnold never showed ####. Wilson showed it in his first game. Let's not bury this dude or this team just yet. They looked good on defense.

This about sums it up for me:

Zach Wilson became only the 4th rookie top 5 pick to throw for 4 interceptions and 0 TDs in a game in the last 20 years.

The other 3 - Sam Darnold, Mark Sanchez and Alex Smith.

:cry:

This about sums it up for me:

Zach Wilson became only the 4th rookie top 5 pick to throw for 4 interceptions and 0 TDs in a game in the last 20 years.

The other 3 - Sam Darnold, Mark Sanchez and Alex Smith.

:cry:

That's bad. But Joe Burrow threw three picks on four drives yesterday. I'm not sure the extra pick locks Wilson into King Suck or anything.

It surely does not. This could just be a small blip when we look back at his successful career. I just found it hysterically sad that 3 of the 4 QBs had something in common. Something we all keep living through.
I had a much longer response picking up what you were putting down but I'm trying to avoid doom and gloom today in the aftermath of a terrible performance. Yeah, I knew they were Jets.

OOOOOOF. I almost typed something about "defensive coaches in an offensive league" but didn't want to get killed in these parts, nor did I want to allow myself to even think that. I'm afraid we might have to face that reality someday, though. I genuinely worry about it, which is why they don't pay me to make knee-jerk decisions like hiring offensive "geniuses" like Adam Gase.

It could be worse. It could be Urban Meyer or Gase right now.

Bad loss to New England. They hid their rookie yesterday. We let ours fling it into defenders.

That was painful to watch yesterday.  It almost looked like Wilson was developing Chuck Knoblauch disease where he simply forgot how to throw the ball properly.

At the game yesterday - great atmosphere...crowd pumped....for about half of a quarter...then the masses hit the exit in the 3rd quarter.  Not good.  

Few random thoughts

QB - Rooks are gonna rook....but it seems like the JEt ones really rook bad.  What I wouldnt give to have a Herbert or Kyler just hit the ground running....aint gonna happen here.  We can do the Peyton thing and say he threw 30 picks as a rook.  Favre threw 37 picks his 1st 2 yrs....I would compare Zachs style as more Favre than Peyton.  He is sloppy and thinks is rocket arm can make a play when its not there.  It was brutal to watch but Im not going crazy over it - I have more concerns while the jury is out on Zach...think it will be another rough one next week before hopefully easier stretch.  

OL - looked better which isnt a god look for Becton

TE - JAGs everythere

WRs - Kid loves Elijah who flashed....Davis did what hes done his entire career.  After a monster game put up a stinker.  Didnt help the kid at all.  I get Berrios is a hustler but he should not be on the field over Mims.  He just doesnt have the phsysical skills and would be on the bench in most teams.  Im afraid hes Salah's Gore.  They are not going to the playoffs - Id rather develop Mims who must be awful in practice.

RBs - JAGs but Carter flashed a bit - his small frame may hurt him - he was lit up a lot.  

Def - cant complain except the give up play on Harris run - gotta figure they were dejected after all those picks

Coaching - My biggest concern.  Thar was a really bad gameplan vs the PAts.  Its like they completely missed the Darnold ghosts game.  Salah talked about Zach making the boring throws but then puts him in a position to make those bad deep throws.  Meanwhile the Pats have a rookie QB who game managed to perfection - taking dinks and dunks and boring plays....really bad job by the coaches on this one and my 1st show of concern

JD - shine is now off his 1st draft class - 1st rd pick cant stay healthy and weight which was why he fell still a big issue....2d rd pick in doghouse and cant get on field over JAGS?  Only Hall is contributing this year which is just not acceptable.  Still have faith in JD but hes gotta do better - likely heading toward another top 5 pick.  

Lots of banter about Darnold yesterday as well - I dont think many doubted that he wouldnt be better in Carolina. Im happy for the kid - he got Gased and then a tough decision had to be made.  He has great weapons and a solid coaching staff.  Same is just not there for the Jets at this time.  If you put Darnold into that game and I still think the Jets lose.  

I know we are going to here about Darnold for a long time - but it really isnt fair.  If you want to blame someone for Darnold blame Chris Johnson for hiring Gase.  It basically destroyed his Jets career.  I heard some talking about keeping Darnold then taking the 49er deal in that trade up to load up on picks....still wouldnt have worked IMO.  New coaching staff usually wants their own QB unless hes established.....glad hes doing well so far tho - he got a real bad deal here.  Still think in the end he is a game manager but if he has that kind of talent around him he can win.  

i have been a fan since the 70s and all i ask is that they join the league.  they are so far behind in talent in a league where most games are decided by one score, they perpetually are behind 3 scores.  they turn entire drafts over in 1-2 years.  haven’t had a TE since mickey shuler.  they can talk all they want about quinnen williams, but i swear the guy has been inactive the first 2 games.  it’s time to find a draft expert at GM.  you can’t build a team drafting this poorly.  i mean, why was james morgan a 4 th round pick?  to talk about how pathetic this franchise is would take me days, but they are the worst franchise in pro sports, easy, plus they don’t have a home stadium.

i have been a fan since the 70s and all i ask is that they join the league.  they are so far behind in talent in a league where most games are decided by one score, they perpetually are behind 3 scores.  they turn entire drafts over in 1-2 years.  haven’t had a TE since mickey shuler.  they can talk all they want about quinnen williams, but i swear the guy has been inactive the first 2 games.  it’s time to find a draft expert at GM.  you can’t build a team drafting this poorly.  i mean, why was james morgan a 4 th round pick?  to talk about how pathetic this franchise is would take me days, but they are the worst franchise in pro sports, easy, plus they don’t have a home stadium.

Hmm, they are on the list of worst franchises, but I don't even know if they are the worst franchise in NY.  Outside of last year, the Knicks have been a horror show since the 90s.  As bad as the Jets have been, Dolan might be worse than the Johnsons.

I also detest being a Mets fan.  This year may be the worst year of any NY sports team in a long time with their choking on the field to all the scandals off the field (sex abuse scandals and covering them up, d-pic sending GM, new GM DUI, mishandling of medical issues -for years, etc).

That said, I agree with what you wrote before that.  JD has done some good things and some bad things. He deserves to catch some heat.

Kiddnets said:
Lots of banter about Darnold yesterday as well - I dont think many doubted that he wouldnt be better in Carolina. Im happy for the kid - he got Gased and then a tough decision had to be made.  He has great weapons and a solid coaching staff.  Same is just not there for the Jets at this time.  If you put Darnold into that game and I still think the Jets lose.  

I know we are going to here about Darnold for a long time - but it really isnt fair.  If you want to blame someone for Darnold blame Chris Johnson for hiring Gase.  It basically destroyed his Jets career.  I heard some talking about keeping Darnold then taking the 49er deal in that trade up to load up on picks....still wouldnt have worked IMO.  New coaching staff usually wants their own QB unless hes established.....glad hes doing well so far tho - he got a real bad deal here.  Still think in the end he is a game manager but if he has that kind of talent around him he can win.  

Sam is better with an upgraded team around him (including coaches) but he's still making some bad turnovers and missing receivers.  He's an upgrade over Bridgewater, but having CMC to dump passes to makes things easier.

May Sam live long and prosper. He would have still been terrible in NY. I hate when I see people complaining now (not you) that we made a mistake trading Sam. These are the same dopes (Michael Salfino for example) that were praising Wilson last week. Now we get hot takes from the same guys that Wilson is a bust. People are just idiots looking for attention.

Users who are viewing this thread