What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (5 Viewers)

Francesa was talking about the eyes the other day.almost feel for Gase, definitely appears like he has some problem there..maybe the lights, maybe he's somewhat blind I dunno he definitely looked like he has a sight problem..the beating he's taking in the media is pretty bad..is there an eye doctor in the house that can describe whats going on here? 

can't be that he's 'intense' and that's how he always looks.I mean that was like introducing Ray Charles as your head coach. absolutely the strangest interview ever this side of the Al Davis interview thingy with the light next to him and the dinner plate sized cataracts..

they are going to have over $100M to spend when all is said and done...I dont love the value of a $17M RB...especially Bell...but they have stupid money and have not only a need at RB but offensive playmakers in general....Bell is forgotten a bit in his absence but he is a stud who can run and catch - someone the defense needs to account for and plan for each week...Jets havent had one of those guys in a long time....he is head and shoulders above any other offensive player in FA....sign him to big $ and there is still a ton of dough to spread around....he would take a lot of pressure of the kid so its worth the $ IMO
I’m not dead set against Bell, but as @NYRAGE posted above we only have 30 players under contract so that $90-100MM will go pretty quick. I agree with what impact Bell could have though.

I’m not dead set against Bell, but as @NYRAGE posted above we only have 30 players under contract so that $90-100MM will go pretty quick. I agree with what impact Bell could have though.
yeah its a tough call....like you guys I wont be upset if he goes elsewhere but I could see the logic in signing him.....I dont want to spread $100M for a bunch of JAGs to fill holes....Id rather sign two big playmakers - pass rusher and RB or WR and then spread and just see Bell as the best of limited options....it's been far too long that teams have had no one to fear on the Jet O....Bell would check a lot of boxes...take heat of Sam...give him good outlet for screen/short passes....make teams respect the run which would open things up for the WRs/TE....no other player I see in FA does that....adding a mediocre RB/WR just doesnt do it  for me....

When you see Connor and Deangelo Williams produce in Pittsburgh's offense, too, I think you have to wonder how much of it is the system vs the player. Even Samuels looked decent in very limited opportunities.  

No doubt Bell is a major 2-way threat. As a runner? I don't see anything great, especially if our o-line can't block. He doesn't break a lot of long ones either. Personally, I'm against spending a ton of money at RB, especially for a player with a history of suspensions and injuries. I think that money is better spent elsewhere. I would prefer to get Hunt on the cheap if I"m getting risky. Otherwise, I'd draft a RB (well if McCags is capable of drafting a good one).  If he signs Bell, well, I won't cry either. 

I've came around on the Gase hiring, I guess I had to, don't want to root against a coach Day 1..  the pairing with Williams seems like a lot of fun.  I heard Gase on Michael Kay and with Mike F on the FAN, he was very good in both spots, much better than that weird press conference.  Worth seeking out if you haven't heard them.

I hope they trade down from this 3rd pick with two Qbs who could move up the draft board, I hope one of them is there at 3 for someone to come and get this pick.  Otherwise it's looking like D yet again.  Unless Williams test like crazy at the Combine, then maybe we just grab him at Tackle and move on.

I don't really want Bell, I'd rather get Tevin Coleman at half the price and overpay on the O-Line.

Should be an interesting few months...

Probably something neurological and the lighting may have exacerbated it.

Here's his Miami intro press conference

He does not have the eye expressions but as the press conference goes on he does look like he's rocking a lot...possibly trying to control tics.  This taped interview not so much though.

Maybe they gave him eye exam right before?

-QG
Having watched this guy for the past three years, the crazy-eyes thing has gotten gradually worse. Go back to the Broncos press conferences, and he looks normal. Near the end of his run in Miami, he often had hats on, pulled low. But...something's odd there. 

And that one glitch was just bizarre. I called a buddy of mine and said "Dude. Adam Gase just rebooted, right in the middle of a damn press conference."

I've came around on the Gase hiring, I guess I had to, don't want to root against a coach Day 1..  the pairing with Williams seems like a lot of fun.  I heard Gase on Michael Kay and with Mike F on the FAN, he was very good in both spots, much better than that weird press conference.  Worth seeking out if you haven't heard them.

I hope they trade down from this 3rd pick with two Qbs who could move up the draft board, I hope one of them is there at 3 for someone to come and get this pick.  Otherwise it's looking like D yet again.  Unless Williams test like crazy at the Combine, then maybe we just grab him at Tackle and move on.

I don't really want Bell, I'd rather get Tevin Coleman at half the price and overpay on the O-Line.

Should be an interesting few months...
I've been reading that scouts believe he will be a guard in the NFL and to expect him to drop in the rankings as more people take a closer look.

The Jets should focus on DL (edge guy) and OL in early part of the draft.  Then used FA to add an offensive weapon (WR, TE or RB) but not Bell or Brown... 

The Jets should focus on DL (edge guy) and OL in early part of the draft.  Then used FA to add an offensive weapon (WR, TE or RB) but not Bell or Brown... 
Thats the problem - besides Bell there are no real offensive weapons....older good players like Golden Tate...MArk Ingram or unproven up and comers.....Bell is the only bona fide stud available in FA so far.  

You guys should go BPA.  And if there's a left tackle that rates that high it's an obvious pick.

-QG

IMO, Not even worth thinking about right now Other than Stacking Players at the top of the draft.. . And IMO just as important to see whats deep in the draft and be ready to trade down and double dip.... Personally I tend to believe OL usually has a lot of value from the mid 1st to mid 2nd.. So many times ppl jump for that Can't miss guy at the top and he winds up an OL JAG... 

On the flip side If analysis shows OL isn't deep then yeah, jump for that guy at the top....

But. For this team, Free Agency is going to set the tone..... No reason to Scream for OL in January when they may sign 4 OL in the next 3 months

IMO, Not even worth thinking about right now Other than Stacking Players at the top of the draft.. . And IMO just as important to see whats deep in the draft and be ready to trade down and double dip.... Personally I tend to believe OL usually has a lot of value from the mid 1st to mid 2nd.. So many times ppl jump for that Can't miss guy at the top and he winds up an OL JAG... 

On the flip side If analysis shows OL isn't deep then yeah, jump for that guy at the top....

But. For this team, Free Agency is going to set the tone..... No reason to Scream for OL in January when they may sign 4 OL in the next 3 months
agreed - much of this will be determined how FA falls.....assuming they can sign a good pass rusher the need may be OL as thats not exactly filled with studs....unless Jonah rates a beast cant miss LT prospect I'd rather trade down from #3 - pick up some solid picks this yr and next and grab someone like Little in the mid 1st...or even one of the top WRs 

Yup. Just gonna spend the next 3 months hoping one of the QB's does well enough to get another team desperate enough to trade up to 3. Hopefully that happens and the Jets can recoup what they lost last year.

If they're not gonna get Bosa, I dont really see another guy that jumps off the page at 3. All on board for a trade down.

but what if you sign an LG, C, RG, and RT, Reaper? ;)

-QG

Thats the problem - besides Bell there are no real offensive weapons....older good players like Golden Tate...MArk Ingram or unproven up and comers.....Bell is the only bona fide stud available in FA so far.  
If I’m jets gm, I’m not rebuilding my team around a me guy that wants 20.0m per year deal who worked in a system that’s seen other average rb put up good numbers.

Need to distract myself from another 2 weeks of misery with Pats super bowl hype....just keep telling myself the end is coming and the AFC east will be wide open in 2 yrs....who knows maybe Brady retires if he wins his one...I doubt it - guy is still playing at a high level....but anyway on to the Jets and some random thoughts

coaching - still really liking the Greg Williams hire...also like the OL hire who did a good job in Dallas and Cincy....happy they kept the ST and DB coaches as well.....not a fan of bringing in his old OC from Miami...reeks of KAcey Rogers and Bowles....but the difference is Gase is calling the plays so hopefuly wont be as bad.  

FA - I know I know - lots of concerns abut Bell...way to pricey for a RB....maybe Pitt had something to do with it....but all I know is he is the best playmaker in FA by a wide margin....he is looking for crazy RB $ but the Jets have crazy $....even if he is $18M per yr - it goes down to $15M if they cut Crowell....so without even cutting anyone else that leaves $78M which is huge....Id sign one of the big time pass rushers at $20M which leaves $58M to spend....probably radical but I would then cut Winters, Long and Beachum - take the $20M savings and rebuild the OL.  takes them down to about $50M - spread the rest around as they need bodies an thats enough to do it....but the theme of FA has to be sign 2 big time playmakers...one on offense and one pass rusher...besides Adams there is not one player on the entire team other teams need to plan for....this is essential rather than sign a bunch of mid level JAGs  

draft - more I think about it the more I want a trade down....bad.....hoping Bosa and one of the pass rushers go 1/2 and NYG, JAx or Denver want to trade up so they stay in the top 10....chrt from last yr made them trade 3 2d rders....that was a stronger class...but you can argue that a team that didnt trade up still had Josh Allen and Rosen available where this year after the top QB the others are weaker so maybe MAc can get similar value....I'd be happy taking a 2d this yr and next as long as they stay in top 10.....with the 1st and new 2d rder Id take the BPA on offense - specifically OL and WR....offense has been ignored for decades on this team in the 1st rd...last non defensive/ non QB 1st rd pick was 10 yrs ago.....it's time to get with the times!  

Kiddnets said:
Need to distract myself from another 2 weeks of misery with Pats super bowl hype....just keep telling myself the end is coming and the AFC east will be wide open in 2 yrs....who knows maybe Brady retires if he wins his one...I doubt it - guy is still playing at a high level....but anyway on to the Jets and some random thoughts

coaching - still really liking the Greg Williams hire...also like the OL hire who did a good job in Dallas and Cincy....happy they kept the ST and DB coaches as well.....not a fan of bringing in his old OC from Miami...reeks of KAcey Rogers and Bowles....but the difference is Gase is calling the plays so hopefuly wont be as bad.  

FA - I know I know - lots of concerns abut Bell...way to pricey for a RB....maybe Pitt had something to do with it....but all I know is he is the best playmaker in FA by a wide margin....he is looking for crazy RB $ but the Jets have crazy $....even if he is $18M per yr - it goes down to $15M if they cut Crowell....so without even cutting anyone else that leaves $78M which is huge....Id sign one of the big time pass rushers at $20M which leaves $58M to spend....probably radical but I would then cut Winters, Long and Beachum - take the $20M savings and rebuild the OL.  takes them down to about $50M - spread the rest around as they need bodies an thats enough to do it....but the theme of FA has to be sign 2 big time playmakers...one on offense and one pass rusher...besides Adams there is not one player on the entire team other teams need to plan for....this is essential rather than sign a bunch of mid level JAGs  

draft - more I think about it the more I want a trade down....bad.....hoping Bosa and one of the pass rushers go 1/2 and NYG, JAx or Denver want to trade up so they stay in the top 10....chrt from last yr made them trade 3 2d rders....that was a stronger class...but you can argue that a team that didnt trade up still had Josh Allen and Rosen available where this year after the top QB the others are weaker so maybe MAc can get similar value....I'd be happy taking a 2d this yr and next as long as they stay in top 10.....with the 1st and new 2d rder Id take the BPA on offense - specifically OL and WR....offense has been ignored for decades on this team in the 1st rd...last non defensive/ non QB 1st rd pick was 10 yrs ago.....it's time to get with the times!  
Trading down is often easier said than done - but I agree under that scenario I would be very happy to see Mac recoup some picks while staying in the top 10.

Another thing that's easier said than done is building an o-line through free agency, the good ones just don't hit the market often but I agree they have to add a few pieces through free agency. I wouldn't mind keeping Long (who looked better as a G) and Winters on the roster as depth will be hard to build just through the draft - especially being light on picks and with so many holes.

I've gotten on and off the Bell bandwagon a few times - and I'm currently off (but will not be terribly upset if he is signed for the reasons you laid out). I just think that contract eats into the cap space too much and while it seems like we have a boatload it will dry up quicker than we think. I see a few cheaper options in free agency that could work in tandem with McGuire and a rookie with Tevin Coleman being at the top of the list - he adds a speed element at RB the Jets haven't seen in a while and can also be used in the passing game. I'd also be happy with Mark Ingram, Jay Ajayi (of course with Gase on board he won't sign with the Jets) or Spencer Ware. The bottom line is if the o-line is strong a running game comes with it.

A guy I'm adding to my wish list is Cole Beasley (provided he comes at a reasonable rate). He's obviously not the game breaking super star we need but is a great route runner in the slot and would really help Sam out when he needs the quick dump off - it would also be sweet to try and beat the Pats at their own game. The free agents at WR are very uninspiring so adding an impact rookie to join in with Anderson, Enunwa, Beasley and Herndon isn't a bad way to go for 2019. Hopefully the rookie works out or we wait until 2020 free agency.

Adding a legit pass rusher has to happen - I'd prefer doing it in free agency as well so we have flexibility during the draft.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT OFFSEASON IN A LONG WHILE. Please don't #### it up Mac. We need to build around Sam and let him develop so we can make a run while he's still on that rookie contract - 2020-2021 need to have deep playoff runs by the Jets.   

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT OFFSEASON IN A LONG WHILE. Please don't #### it up Mac. We need to build around Sam and let him develop so we can make a run while he's still on that rookie contract - 2020-2021 need to have deep playoff runs by the Jets.   
They already have by hiring Gase and his band of not quite mediocre cronies.  Why should we have any faith that they'll now go out and draft or sign quality players? 

They already have by hiring Gase and his band of not quite mediocre cronies.  Why should we have any faith that they'll now go out and draft or sign quality players? 
Other than his OC (and Gase is really the OC anyway) I'm really happy with the staff.

With that said I really don't have faith in Mac based on his track record but of course I'm hoping he doesn't screw it up beyond repair.

Other than his OC (and Gase is really the OC anyway) I'm really happy with the staff.

With that said I really don't have faith in Mac based on his track record but of course I'm hoping he doesn't screw it up beyond repair.
The whole offensive coaching staff seems to be the same as in Miami, which was bottom 1/3 of the league on offense under that regime.  It seems clear to me that they made him keep Boyer and they picked Williams for him.  I'd almost have rathered them hire Williams as the coach and have them pick a better OC than Gase.  

The whole offensive coaching staff seems to be the same as in Miami, which was bottom 1/3 of the league on offense under that regime.  It seems clear to me that they made him keep Boyer and they picked Williams for him.  I'd almost have rathered them hire Williams as the coach and have them pick a better OC than Gase.  
The o-line coach Frank Pollack came from Cincinnati and was with Dallas for five years before that. He's well respected. Shawn Jefferson came from Miami but I'm ok with him. I'm not excited about Loggains at all but Gase is calling the plays anyway. We've already discussed the Miami offensive personnel so no need to rehash that. I'm not 100% sure on Gase but I do have some hope that Darnold can prove to be the difference in offensive production from Jay Cuter and Brock Osweiler.

I'm glad they kept Boyer and brought Williams aboard - whether that was Gase or Mac making those calls doesn't really matter.

Right now the team needs a serious infusion of talent almost everywhere and we have to hope Mac gets that right - but that remains to be seen.

I have no idea how Dowell Loggains still gets hired in the NFL. 

Obviously He knows what he's talking about - Guy is only 38 years old..... I'm more amazed at the Old coaches like Fischer and M Lewis who stick around at top gigs for so long....

I haven't see enough to banish a 38 yo guy from being part of an offense, especially second fiddle at this point.... 

I mean, how do fans even know enough of what goes on behind the scenes to Banish THIS guy from the NFL?????????

As Jet fans, we saw, many OC's come an go and many we hated with Bad Play calling, non development, etc etc..... ppl really hate THIS guy?

Oh well, I'm still ALL-IN.....  Once Macc stayed, I'm here for the ride... 

And Bottom line is TALENT..... To me, you find great QB's and stacked offenses and PRESTO, you usually find your Genius coaches.... 

Obviously He knows what he's talking about - Guy is only 38 years old..... I'm more amazed at the Old coaches like Fischer and M Lewis who stick around at top gigs for so long....

I haven't see enough to banish a 38 yo guy from being part of an offense, especially second fiddle at this point.... 

I mean, how do fans even know enough of what goes on behind the scenes to Banish THIS guy from the NFL?????????

As Jet fans, we saw, many OC's come an go and many we hated with Bad Play calling, non development, etc etc..... ppl really hate THIS guy?

And Bottom line is TALENT..... To me, you find great QB's and stacked offenses and PRESTO, you usually find your Genius coaches.... 
Got to be all in I suppose, and hope that he figured it out after Clev, Chi, Ten and Mia diasters. Miami had a worse O than the Jets last year. Having Darnold should help. Just not sure Dowell has shown any competency in developing QBs to this point.

I don't know. Yeah, I agree that him getting banished sounds extreme, but you also have to understand why fans are down on it. Like Parcells said, you are what your record says you are. In this case, not very good for either Gase or Kenny Loggins. 

At least some people (e.g. Manning) have spoken well of Gase despite his less than stellar track record. When people say that Gase is really the OC and that Loggains is only second fiddle, that's not exactly a warm defense of him either. It's like saying, well, Loggains is not that important, so big deal if he stinks. 

What's done is done and if you're a Jets fan then I guess you have to be all-in at this point. 

As far as talent goes, we don't have much. McCags better step up this year or he's out soon.

I'm not so sure I agree with the talent = genius coaches. Talent helps, but  I always thought Jay Gruden did pretty well for not having much talent in Washington. SF with Shanahan did well this year with no QB, RB, or WRs.  Some guys have good systems and can get the most out what they have.  Say what you want about Brady, but that NE offense was still decent with some bum back-up QBs (Cassel) and rag-tag WRs/RBs. NE finds guys that fit their system.  Everyone thinks NE will get flushed down the toilet once Brady retires, but I'm not so sure if that coaching staff sticks around.  On the other hand, GB had a HOF QB and great offense and they ran that coach out of town because of his antiquated ways.  

Anyway, I can't wait for free agency and then the draft. 

Jets released G/C Spencer Long.

Long was due a $3 million roster bonus on Wednesday. The 28-year-old signed a "four-year, $27 million" deal last March. Long was a disaster manning the pivot in 2018 before a late-season switch to left guard, where he also played poorly. The Jets are supposedly interested in bringing him back at a cheaper price.

This doesn’t sound promising. Get the popcorn ready!

Jets' Adam Gase includes ex-adversaries Joe Vitt, Gregg Williams on staff

RICH CIMINIESPN Staff Writer6:02 PM ET2 Minute Read

Adam Gase's new coaching staff with the New York Jets contains enough potential family drama for a reality TV show.

The full staff, announced Friday by the Jets, includes longtime NFL assistant Joe Vitt, Gase's father-in-law, and Blake Williams, the son of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

This is where it gets interesting.

Vitt and Gregg Williams were members of the New Orleans Saints coaching staff implicated in the 2012 BountyGate scandal. In the bounty hearings, conducted by former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Vitt accused Williams of lying in his testimony.

Vitt also said the players didn't take Williams seriously because of his "false bravado" and "schtick."

Williams wound up being suspended indefinitely (then reinstated 11 months later), while Vitt received a six-game ban. And now they're together on Gase's first staff.

Gase saw plenty of his father-in-law last season. Gase coached the Miami Dolphins while Vitt worked in the front office as the team's director of player development.

Despite having no background with Williams, Gase hired him on Jan. 15 because he wanted someone who could be the "head coach" of the defense. Williams, known for his aggressive scheme and edgy coaching style, went 5-3 last season as the interim coach of the Cleveland Browns.

Enter Blake Williams, who served as the Browns' linebackers coach and called the defensive plays over the second half of the season.

Initially, Gase balked at the idea of adding Blake, according to a person familiar with the situation. Gregg Williams, who once called his son "the best young coach I've ever had on my staff," became frustrated with Gase, the person said.

Eventually, Gase came around, making Blake Williams a defensive assistant, not a position coach.

Blake Williams, 34, has a reputation for rubbing people the wrong way. As a St. Louis Rams assistant, he upset people in the organization by screaming at a draft prospect in a scouting-combine interview, a source said. He also was reprimanded multiple times for sitting in the wrong seat on the team bus; he kept sitting in a seat reserved for a senior member of the staff.

The Rams fired him after the 2013 season. Williams has only worked for NFL teams in which his father was on the staff.

The Jets also announced the hiring of 16 other assistants, most notably former Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, who will coach the running backs.

Bell is free at last. The intrigue begins.

Pass on Brown. As great as he is, he might be a bigger headcase now. 

Bell is free at last. The intrigue begins.

Pass on Brown. As great as he is, he might be a bigger headcase now. 
I'm on the fence with Bell - but I'm a hard pass on Brown. The Jets have so many holes on this roster that trading away draft assets and then guaranteeing his salary is just not appealing to me no matter how good he is.

And I'm starting to get a bit concerned by just how little talent is actually on this roster - only 1/3 of what was already a poor roster is under contract for 2019. This $100MM in cap space can potentially be eaten up pretty quickly.

Hard pass on Bell for me. There's a lot of needs on this roster that don't include a few hundred extra yards (tops) coming from the running back position.  
He's also a major threat in the passing game though which is the only reason I'm really "on the fence" still - Sam needs weapons and the free agent WRs are nothing to get too excited about.

With that said - as long as they improve the o-line I'm ok with adding a "second tier" RB like Tevin Coleman or Mark Ingram to team up with McGuire and adding a sure handed slot guy like Beasley, Humphries or Amendola to round out the WR corp. with Anderson, Enunwa, Roberts, Burnette and Peake.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's also a major threat in the passing game though which is the only reason I'm really "on the fence still" - Sam needs weapons and the free agent WRs are nothing to get too excited about.

With that said - as long as they improve the o-line I'm ok with adding a "second tier" RB like Tevin Coleman or Mark Ingram to team up with McGuire and adding a sure handed slot guy like Beasley, Humphries or Amendola to round out the WR corp. with Anderson, Enunwa, Roberts, Burnette and Peake.
He is indeed, though I rostered him twice in three years and when they split him out, he often didn't receive the ball even though Brown was receiving so much attention from the defensive secondaries.  He's really a better receiver out of the backfield or as a check down than as a true pass catcher like CMC is.  

I'd be curious to what the average distance was of Bell's catches. It seemed like every reception was a little dump-off at the line of scrimmage after Ben looked deep for Brown. He definitely seemed to have great hands, but not sure about his route running.  How would his patient running style work with our crappy o-line?

He would definitely be the best dual threat we have had in a long time, but at what cost? I'm with @rockaction on this one. It seems like a crazy price to pay for a RB, but on the flip side, I won't be upset either given our lack of talent. 

Our priority should be to fix the o-line. I guess we'll get two pieces in Free agency because our bum GM has a shock collar or something when it comes to drafting offensive linemen. 

I'd be curious to what the average distance was of Bell's catches. It seemed like every reception was a little dump-off at the line of scrimmage after Ben looked deep for Brown. He definitely seemed to have great hands, but not sure about his route running.  How would his patient running style work with our crappy o-line?

He would definitely be the best dual threat we have had in a long time, but at what cost? I'm with @rockaction on this one. It seems like a crazy price to pay for a RB, but on the flip side, I won't be upset either given our lack of talent. 

Our priority should be to fix the o-line. I guess we'll get two pieces in Free agency because our bum GM has a shock collar or something when it comes to drafting offensive linemen. 
This also worries me a ton. He tiptoes to the line and then hits the hole. What happens when he tiptoes into a wall of defenders. With our line, you need to hit whatever hole appears quickly and decisively. 

As for the second bolded, Maccagnan really might want to think about addressing the line through the draft.  

This also worries me a ton. He tiptoes to the line and then hits the hole. What happens when he tiptoes into a wall of defenders. With our line, you need to hit whatever hole appears quickly and decisively. 

As for the second bolded, Maccagnan really might want to think about addressing the line through the draft.  
If he can wait a few seconds, there might be a hole where one or more of our o-line gets pushed to the ground. 

They lined Bell up outside or in the slot at times - he's a good route runner and is a threat downfield. I am also leaning towards the side of passing on him as well due to the price and the fact he may just be a guy that gets "fat and lazy" after he gets paid - but as long as it's a semi-reasonable contract I can live with it.

My preference would be adding o-linemen and making the running game work that way. I'm ok with throwing $5-7MM at a guy like Coleman or Ingram or going even cheaper and taking a shot at guys like TJ Yeldon or Spencer Ware, guys who have flashed in backup roles. As far a drafting a rookie RB, that could also work but having no second round picks makes that a little more difficult since they have so many other holes. As long as the o-line performs the running game should be fine. Eli McGuire is good depth already.

This is a guy they need to throw some cash at. This team's best recent seasons came with great players (Mawae and Mangold) at the center position.

The Broncos are expected to let free agent Matt Paradis test the open market.

This would be different if Paradis wasn't recovering from November foot surgery. Paradis has been one of the best centers the last few seasons, so Denver not extending him suggests there's some concern with his rehab. The Broncos are expected to hold talks with Paradis at the Combine.

Some interesting news recently - lot of unexpected cuts....obviously not game changers but I thought some of those guys were decent for little $....we do have a lot of roster spots which will definitely impact how the FA $ is spent...

2 positions, if available in FA, are must haves....OL and pass rusher....they rarely are available so if any of the studs are not franchised they have to back up the truck.....I dont see any OL studs but Paradis is a good start assuming he is healing up.  A good center would go a long way to help this OL.  I am still on the fence with Bell - I see the need for him since they have no playmakers but understand if they pass as well...he's going to want a monster contract and it may be just too much.  If a pass rusher isnt available then may as well spend it on Bell

Draft - again I hate to pass up on playmakers since they have none - but Leonard Williams is still stinging me so not a fan of using the #3 on an interior DL....if they dont land a pass rusher in FA then Im fine with going for one....in a perfect world I'd like to trade back with Jax or even NYG...get a small haul and draft OL - they need to learn from what happened in Indy....Luck was almost forced out of the league because they ignored his OL....I dont care if it takes an extra yr to get defensive or WR help...OL must be a priority now. 

The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports the Dolphins "assuredly will" release DE Robert Quinn.

Jackson believes Miami will also "likely" do the same with fellow DE Andre Branch. Releasing Quinn, who was acquired from the Rams this time last year, will save the Dolphins over $12.9 million against the cap, while Branch's release would free up another $7 million. The moves make sense financially but would leave Miami with precious little depth off the edge. Cameron Wake could also be shipped out as a veteran on a surefire tanking club. Quinn, 29 in May, had 6.5 sacks as a 16-game starter last season.
Quinn has ties to both Gase and Greg Williams so don't be surprised to see him being pursued shortly after the 'Phins cut him loose.

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports the Jets are interested in impending free agent Donte Moncrief.

Moncrief mostly disappointed during his one year in Jacksonville, catching 48 passes for 668 yards and three touchdowns. With Jermaine Kearse and Rishard Matthews headed to free agency, the Jets do not have much behind Robby Anderson, who is almost certain to be retained as a restricted free agent, and Quincy Enunwa on the depth chart. Even in a weak receiver class, Moncrief will be lucky to get the $9.6 million the Jaguars paid him last season.
This guy has the physical talent but has yet to put it all together. If they can add him for about $5-6MM a year it would be worth a shot.

Keep an eye out for all the Dolphin castoffs.....Im sure Gase will be scooping up a few.  

I'd rather have Humphries at WR as he is young and would fit into the scheme a little better....

Franchise tags due next week....crossing fingers one of the big time pass rushers shake free.....

Keep an eye out for all the Dolphin castoffs.....Im sure Gase will be scooping up a few.  

I'd rather have Humphries at WR as he is young and would fit into the scheme a little better....

Franchise tags due next week....crossing fingers one of the big time pass rushers shake free.....
Humphries and Moncrief are both 25 (both will turn 26 over the summer) - Moncrief is the better physical specimen but agree Humphries may fit better as a security blanket/slot guy for Darnold. The problem is I read Humphries is looking to get paid at around $9MM per year.

Humphries and Moncrief are both 25 (both will turn 26 over the summer) - Moncrief is the better physical specimen but agree Humphries may fit better as a security blanket/slot guy for Darnold. The problem is I read Humphries is looking to get paid at around $9MM per year.
interesting thought Montcrief ws older....he's had some health issues and I just think Humphries is on the upswing...little pricey but I'd probably pay Humphries $9M vs $5M for Monty.....especially if most big ticket franchise players are locked up like I anticipate.  

Dr. Octopus said:
This guy has the physical talent but has yet to put it all together. If they can add him for about $5-6MM a year it would be worth a shot.
He got like $9-10m this past season I think. No thanks at that price. I'm not a big fan. He's not bad, but not worth even $5-6m to me if we are adding a WR1 since we already have Anderson and now Enunwa at a bigger price.  If he is just another WR2-3, pass. We need a big threat.

Dr. Octopus said:
Quinn has ties to both Gase and Greg Williams so don't be surprised to see him being pursued shortly after the 'Phins cut him loose.
I had the flu the past week. One thing that some folks might have missed is that Williams decided to stick with the 3-4 defense. Yeah, Williams plays a lot of different looks, but this is big news for all those wondering who we might draft. That means Josh Allen is back in play as an edge rusher. I think Quinn is a 4-3 end. It also means that you probably seem much of the same for L Williams - double teams on the interior and occasional looks at end. He's not going to go on a terror spree as a 4-3 DT. Maybe they will move him at $14m a year or whatever he is scheduled to make. 

It might also give the Jets a reason to keep Anderson as a free agent.

Kiddnets said:
interesting thought Montcrief ws older....he's had some health issues and I just think Humphries is on the upswing...little pricey but I'd probably pay Humphries $9M vs $5M for Monty.....especially if most big ticket franchise players are locked up like I anticipate.  
Humphries only plays the slot. We're paying Enunwa big bucks now in the slot. I don't think he's very effective on the outside, especially at his new current price. I don't see the Jets spending money on a slot guy when we have a big need on the outside opposite Anderson. 

He got like $9-10m this past season I think. No thanks at that price. I'm not a big fan. He's not bad, but not worth even $5-6m to me if we are adding a WR1 since we already have Anderson and now Enunwa at a bigger price.  If he is just another WR2-3, pass. We need a big threat.
I agree they really need a #1 go to stud WR....problem is there are none in FA and they dont have the assets to trade for one....if they trade down I could see taking a WR early.  

Users who are viewing this thread