What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (10 Viewers)

Hoo boy. Our offseason depends on Gruden. C'mon Jon, you know you want Pittsburgh West.  
I don't think Bell really wants to go to NY unless he really has to. 

Sounds like the Raiders are out. Chicago doesn't have the cap space.  The Ravens are trying to sign Ingram now. Who is left? Miami? They should be worse than us. Indy would be Bell's top spot, but do they want to spend all that money when they already have some decent cheap RBs? 

Bellamy's deal is 2 years for $7m (max). $2.75m guaranteed ($1.8m signing bonus). I guess he replaces C Peak.  He can play WR, but is a good special teamer. Great locker room guy allegedly and loved by his teammates.

Bellamy's deal is 2 years for $7m (max). $2.75m guaranteed ($1.8m signing bonus). I guess he replaces C Peak.  He can play WR, but is a good special teamer. Great locker room guy allegedly and loved by his teammates.
interesting - another off radar move...very good ST an had some key catches for the Bears....for the $ looks like a good signing...hope it doesnt mean they are no resigning Andre....

interesting - another off radar move...very good ST an had some key catches for the Bears....for the $ looks like a good signing...hope it doesnt mean they are no resigning Andre....
I don't think he returns kicks. It would replace Peak I guess. 

what a day.....if they somehow land mosely too that would be ridiculous....if they get both then no way they can get Bell.....would be thrilled with Coleman Paradis and Mosely to close it out or just Bell and Paradis.....come on Mac let'sdo this!  

what a day.....if they somehow land mosely too that would be ridiculous....if they get both then no way they can get Bell.....would be thrilled with Coleman Paradis and Mosely to close it out or just Bell and Paradis.....come on Mac let'sdo this!  
I wish I could post that Jack Nicholson gif of him shaking his head yes. lol.  

I knew that Barr was a good all-around LB, but didn't realize that he's a 4-time Pro Bowler (last 4 years).

wondering how much money is left.....started at $82M - $2.5 for Bellamy...$9M for Crowder....guessing $15M for Barr....so something like $55M......thinking they will want $25M to round out team and draft so guessing around $30M left to spend - plus they havent cut Crowell yet so there's an extra $3M there....Bell $16M + Paradis $12M or Mosely $15M + Paradis $12M + Coleman $6M ....either would be awesome!  

I wish I could post that Jack Nicholson gif of him shaking his head yes. lol.  

I knew that Barr was a good all-around LB, but didn't realize that he's a 4-time Pro Bowler (last 4 years).
I watched a few Minny games - hes a beast....this was the cost of them signing Cousins and their fans are not happy about it....young stud LB with pass rushing ability upside....with a real DC and Q Williams/J Allen added that Defense is gonna be unreal.  

wondering how much money is left.....started at $82M - $2.5 for Bellamy...$9M for Crowder....guessing $15M for Barr....so something like $55M......thinking they will want $25M to round out team and draft so guessing around $30M left to spend - plus they havent cut Crowell yet so there's an extra $3M there....Bell $16M + Paradis $12M or Mosely $15M + Paradis $12M + Coleman $6M ....either would be awesome!  
It's hard to say until details come out. Average contract value doesn't equate the cap hit. Depends on the bonus and how it's structured.

It's hard to say until details come out. Average contract value doesn't equate the cap hit. Depends on the bonus and how it's structured.
good point - could be even more $ to spend....ill revise to Mosely, Bell and Paradis please!!!!  

Wow, Morse got paid by the Bills. 4 years $44.5m.  $19.5m in year 1. $28.4m by year 2. $26.5m guaranteed.  I wonder what Paradis gets.

Connor Hughes‏Verified account @Connor_J_Hughes 12m12 minutes ago

Credit Le’Veon Bell’s side for keeping his client’s intentions hidden, but those around league continue to tell me the #Jets are the favorite for to sign him without a clear No. 2. His market isn’t as robust as originally believed.

Also reporting Mosely really wants to stay in Balt and Jets need to create huge difference for him to leave....if thats the case Id pass....he would be a luxury...would rather have Paradis and Bell....dont want to be used again like last yr!  

@AdamSchefter 

Former Ravens LB CJ Mosley intends to sign a 5-year, $85 million deal with the Jets, as @RapSheet said. Jets land Anthony Barr and Mosley.

good morning!!!!  Barr and Mosely?  never even dreamed!!  Mac going for it!  I assume they cut Lee but that is some duo with Adams...if Tru returns to form and they draft Q/allen thos could be a super bowl d with williams as dc.

i dont want to get too greedy but Paradis and coleman would be the topper....plus need a cb...i have them around $38m depending in structuring...prob over $40m after cutting crowell and lee...

heck of a 24 hrs!!  

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously his late season suspension kinda dulls the pain of this, but the fact that they have to spend $85 Million to replace a LB they drafted in the top 20 3 years ago is NOT a good look.

McCags obviously getting things done the last 2 days, but they should probably just go ahead and let the guys in this thread run the draft as a collective. We'd probably do better.

good morning!!!!  Barr and Mosely?  never even dreamed!!  Mac going for it!  I assume they cut Lee but that is some duo with Adams...if Tru returns to form and they draft Q/allen thos could be a super bowl d with williams as dc.

i dont want to get too greedy but Paradis and coleman would be the topper....plus need a cb...i have them around $38m depending in structuring...prob over $40m after cutting crowell and lee... 

heck of a 24 hrs!!   
 I don't think any of us had LB as a position we would target other than maybe edge rusher. We have an incredibly expensive LB crew now. Hey D. Lee, gtfo.  Williams must be thrilled today.

Mac trying to save his job  Better get the center now and no excuse not to make the playoffs.

Man, what the hell happened to Baltimore? That defense looked pretty good last year and half of it is gone now.

The things this defense is going to do to my Dolphins being led by a journeyman QB and no WRs is going to require a parental discretion advisory before the games. Woof. Mosley and Barr is a haul my friends. 

might as well spend the money, use it or lose it...  nice kick start so far, looks like overpays a bit, but I think you can say that on 99% of the signings across the league so far, that's just the way it is these days

might as well spend the money, use it or lose it...  nice kick start so far, looks like overpays a bit, but I think you can say that on 99% of the signings across the league so far, that's just the way it is these days
That's the nature of having to build your roster in FA.  Every year, the "best" available player at quite a few positions becomes the highest paid player at position X ever.  Just the way the league and cap inflates.  Happy to give an extra few mill to guys that were identified as needs and major upgrades because we actually had the ability to do so without hamstringing the rest of the offseason.

Congrats from Baltimore on getting Mosley. He is a classy player, always in position and a very sure tackler, pretty mediocre in pass coverage and not a pass rush factor. He is an excellent two-down ILB. Also, unlike many guys who hit free agency, he is just entering his prime and may actually get better during the course of his contract, rather than being already at his peak and trying to hang on.

I would rank him as not quite as good as Bart Scott was when Bart left the Ravens, but with the potential of improvement. 

Seeing the market, if Ravens had it to do over again, I think they would have franchised him at $15M.

The teams that "win" free agency only have to do so because they did a #### job drafting.

Happy to improve the team but let's not lose perspective here.
Yes - this is surely not the way to build a team, but unfortunately Mac (and his predecessors) can not draft well.

With that said at least these big contracts are going out to pro-bowl level players in their prime.

Rich Cimini‏Verified account @RichCimini 5m5 minutes ago

Mosley had 47 tackles last season resulting in a successful play for the defense, based on the yards to go by down: 40%+ on 1st down, 50%+ on 2nd down, conversion on 3rd/4th down. That was 17 more than any other Ravens player, per NFL Next Gen Stats. #Jets

Yea, very happy with this so far. The Crowder signing really surprised me in a good way. The plan must be to move Enunwa to the outside, which given the options otherwise, strikes me as a good plan. With a  reliable slot guy, maybe he and speedy Anderson can be a viable duo (Enunwa is pretty beastly, kind of like another dude nicknamed Q). 

Paradis would be fantastic, and I'm warming up to spending the $$ on Bell too.

My take on Bell is that the Jets have made the highest offer. Bell wants either of two things to happen: 1) A better team matches it or 2) The Jets up their offer for him to save face financially for last year's decision.  Mccags is probably saying, "here is my best offer, take it or leave it" knowing no one else is matching it.  How long that offer is out there I"m not sure. At some point, the Jets should threaten to rescind it. However, McCags probably feels like he's gotten his impact guys already, so he can wait to spend remaining cap on lesser free agents. 

That might be a similar situation with Paradis. The Jets were rumored to be in the final 2 on Paradis with Buffalo. His agent is hoping for more and McCags feels that no one else will match it.  He's rolling the dice with both players. Just my guess. 

My take on Bell is that the Jets have made the highest offer. Bell wants either of two things to happen: 1) A better team matches it or 2) The Jets up their offer for him to save face financially for last year's decision.  Mccags is probably saying, "here is my best offer, take it or leave it" knowing no one else is matching it.  How long that offer is out there I"m not sure. At some point, the Jets should threaten to rescind it. However, McCags probably feels like he's gotten his impact guys already, so he can wait to spend remaining cap on lesser free agents. 

That might be a similar situation with Paradis. The Jets were rumored to be in the final 2 on Paradis with Buffalo. His agent is hoping for more and McCags feels that no one else will match it.  He's rolling the dice with both players. Just my guess. 
Sounds plausible - most reports have said both players are likely to sign with the Jets.

Matt Harmon‏Verified account @MattHarmon_BYB 26s26 seconds ago

Colts not chasing Le’Veon Bell was easy to see coming despite some fantasy players’ wish casting. Indy has a ton of cap space but clearly not spending just to spend.
Colts off the table, leaves basically Chicago, Raiders and Jets in the mix (and Bears may not have cap room and Raiders may not have the actual cash).

Colts off the table, leaves basically Chicago, Raiders and Jets in the mix (and Bears may not have cap room and Raiders may not have the actual cash).
Yeah all this interest in Bell sounds like the same bs with Pittsburgh and Brown. 

I would think that the Bears will make a big splash at S after losing Amos. Maybe Earl Thomas?

I think #2 is likely - the agents smell blood....Jets are in overpay mode and they want to get them to max out before agreeing...at some point someone is going to blink...I think Paradis is the more important player so if I were Mac I'd raise the offer on Paradis then give a best offer to Bell with an expiration....it is very possible Bell's offers are not as good as he was thinking but he better make a decision before it gets worse....

Yeah all this interest in Bell sounds like the same bs with Pittsburgh and Brown. 

I would think that the Bears will make a big splash at S after losing Amos. Maybe Earl Thomas?
I dont see the Bears as a threat....Davis and Cohen are a good duo with Howard being shipped out...even after the Mack restructure they are only $18M under the cap and just dont see them adding Bell

As for the Raiders - they are probably the biggest threat but they still have under $30M and have to sign 3 1st rd picks so would be tight....

Jets may get Bell for less than expected just due to lack of competition.....

Dead-man-walking #Jets GM Mike Maccagnan is doing now what dead-man-walking #Giants GM Jerry Reese did in 2016: Fire both barrels (and throw the gun) in free agency to save your ###. It bought Reese another year, but left a wreckage.
While this sentiment is generally true, the Jets really have no star players on their roster who's contracts will be coming up anytime soon. Darnold and Adams are under control for four and three more years, respectively, and who else might they lose because of fiscal irresponsibility this offseason. Plus as mentioned these guys are all fairly young productive players - sure they could end up being busts but right now it doesn't look like these contracts should kill them, and in fact they may look more reasonable in Year 3 when a whole bunch of new free agents surpass these salaries. 

I dont see the Bears as a threat....Davis and Cohen are a good duo with Howard being shipped out...even after the Mack restructure they are only $18M under the cap and just dont see them adding Bell

As for the Raiders - they are probably the biggest threat but they still have under $30M and have to sign 3 1st rd picks so would be tight....

Jets may get Bell for less than expected just due to lack of competition.....
Allegedly it's the Bears and Ravens with interest. 

Chicago obviously is a good team. They did lose a couple of guys on defense. Bell won't be the lone guy in Chicago since they have Cohen and Davis is there. That can't be appealing to Bell. I think Chicago needs to replace a couple of guys in the secondary and will need money for their draft picks. 

The Ravens lost half of their team. I think they would have been very appealing to Bell a couple of days ago. Good team facing the Steelers twice a year. Now how good are they with a decimated defense and a young QB that benefited a great defense and a lead.

While this sentiment is generally true, the Jets really have no star players on their roster who's contracts will be coming up anytime soon. Darnold and Adams are under control for four and three more years, respectively, and who else might they lose because of fiscal irresponsibility this offseason. Plus as mentioned these guys are all fairly young productive players - sure they could end up being busts but right now it doesn't look like these contracts should kill them, and in fact they may look more reasonable in Year 3 when a whole bunch of new free agents surpass these salaries. 
Casserly said that he loves the moves because we got very good players in their prime. These guys are in the mid-20s.  

Casserly also loved Bowles and Maccan't, so ....

agreed - what was he supposed to do?  I think a good GM has to draft well....anyone can throw a ton of $ at FAs....every Jet fan understands the only reason they have this $ is due to poor drafting....but they kept Mac and he has to go for it so this was the way....now who knows as far as chemistry and it certainly doesnt guarantee success but he spent the cap space very well....young ascending players at important positions instead of declining players over 30....he also drafts well in the 1st rd when its a no brainer so Im leaning toward just grabbing BPA at #3 and get ready to play.....

Users who are viewing this thread