What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (12 Viewers)

Gase wins the power struggle. Tells you all you need to know about how terrible this franchise is run.

Gore is a class act but he should have been the one to go from a football standpoint.

Gase wins the power struggle. Tells you all you need to know about how terrible this franchise is run.

Gore is a class act but he should have been the one to go from a football standpoint.
If I'm Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields, I'm not showing up if/when the Jets draft me. 

Gase would cut off his eyes, ears, nose , and mouth to spite his face.

An absolute joke we are. F'ng embarrassing. As I've said, been a fan of this god forsaken franchise for almost 50 years. John Riggins was my first man crush in football. It's w never been worse here and that includes the entire 1970's as at least those teams were competitive. This team? Just a total #### show.

Lev Bell never even had a chance to show his stuff. I have no doubt whoever signs Bell will have a motivated mofo who will conjur up memories of what he used to do in Pittsburgh.

Never have been so ashamed of this franchise as I do right now...disgusting what this franchise has become!

Feel bad for Bell -- him being disgruntled at misuse is 100% warranted. There are better ways of venting that liking tweets that suggest you are being misused for sure, but I have zero doubt that Gase was a willing ear in any way.

This is really sad to watch -- for Bell to be disrespected like this, and for the state of a once proud franchise.

With Bell's departure, who is the back to nab? Gore or Perine? Does it matter? I don't say that in jest, it's an honest question -- putting aside Gase's dysfunction, will either of these guys have a fantasy impact?

Feel bad for Bell -- him being disgruntled at misuse is 100% warranted. There are better ways of venting that liking tweets that suggest you are being misused for sure, but I have zero doubt that Gase was a willing ear in any way.

This is really sad to watch -- for Bell to be disrespected like this, and for the state of a once proud franchise.

With Bell's departure, who is the back to nab? Gore or Perine? Does it matter? I don't say that in jest, it's an honest question -- putting aside Gase's dysfunction, will either of these guys have a fantasy impact?

I honestly dont think it matters. Gase isn't going to suddenly STOP letting Gase fall forward for 3.2 yards a carry just because Bell is gone.  He honestly thinks its their best chance to win.....because he's an idiot.  And they're not going to be down near the goal line often enough to expect a bunch of 2 yard TD's.

Only chance of any sort of fantasy relevancy is if they fire Gase and the interim guy decides to give Perine a full audition to see if they have anything. And again, I think that would purely be a low efficiency volume play behind what is still a poor offense line.

Well, when Bell was out for three weeks, the answer was no one. Maybe Perine late in the season. When asked why Perine didn't get any snaps this week, Gase said something about not overwhelming the rookie. Yeah, he really said that.

Well, when Bell was out for three weeks, the answer was no one. Maybe Perine late in the season. When asked why Perine didn't get any snaps this week, Gase said something about not overwhelming the rookie. Yeah, he really said that.

It really is just so comical. The combination of horrendous people skills, horrible football decision making and complete lack of self awareness is absolutely unprecedented.

In his perfect world, Gase wouldn't have to answer any questions. He wouldn't have to talk to any players. He wouldn't even have to go down to the field. He'd rather sit in a glass box, staring straight at his play sheet mumbling what to run into a microphone.   Even if you're the smartest football mind in the room (which he's not) you can't coach that way. 

Not trying to be offensive here, but its sort of like he's a high-functioning Asperger's patient who somehow convinced a couple of billionaires that he knows what he's doing.  I honestly can't imagine what its like for the players and coaches (other than his OC lacky) that have to deal with him. It most be so incredibly awkward.

you don't even get a 7th rounder for Bell? That's awful.

I was hoping Douglas was finally the guy, but he's made some big mistakes. We're doomed until the Johnsons see the light, hire a serious football GM and just step aside. 

you don't even get a 7th rounder for Bell? That's awful.

I was hoping Douglas was finally the guy, but he's made some big mistakes. We're doomed until the Johnsons see the light, hire a serious football GM and just step aside. 

Nobody was taking on his salary for this year given how he's performed and the obvious desire the Jets had to get rid of him. Plus if he got hurt, they'd be on the hook for $8M next year.

The optics obviously look horrendous and this entire situation just further cements the Jets as the laughing stock of the sports world. But at the end of the day, Douglas simply cut bait on his predecessor's mistake. We're past the point of keeping Bell around to try and win games (since winning games is no longer ideal) and its not like having Bell around was helping Sam anyway.

To truly evaluate this, we'd have to know three things....

A) What is JD's honest assessment of Sam and the expectations for the rest of the year

B) Is JD smart enough to realize that Gase is a trainwreck and deserves to be fired

C) Does JD even have the power to fire Gase?

Since we dont know any of things, its pretty damn hard to judge anything JD does right now.  There's just no sense of a plan that we can judge individual decisions against at this point.

It really is just so comical. The combination of horrendous people skills, horrible football decision making and complete lack of self awareness is absolutely unprecedented.

In his perfect world, Gase wouldn't have to answer any questions. He wouldn't have to talk to any players. He wouldn't even have to go down to the field. He'd rather sit in a glass box, staring straight at his play sheet mumbling what to run into a microphone.   Even if you're the smartest football mind in the room (which he's not) you can't coach that way. 

Not trying to be offensive here, but its sort of like he's a high-functioning Asperger's patient who somehow convinced a couple of billionaires that he knows what he's doing.  I honestly can't imagine what its like for the players and coaches (other than his OC lacky) that have to deal with him. It most be so incredibly awkward.
The list of players that he has had a problem with: Adams, Bell, Osemele, Enunwa, Williamson. I'm probably missing a few. Plus the stories that he avoids the defense, rumors that he doesn't address the team in the locker room, and often mentions that he hasn't talked to a player in regards to injury or anything else. Gase is totally inept and the worst people person.

This seems really important. If JD can't or won't (out of loyalty or whatever) fire Gase then this could be really bad for a couple of years unless they clean house. 
Since Gase doesn't report to JD, then he can't fire him. All he can probably do is recommend to Johnson that he should be fired. Would he out of loyalty? Not sure.

I really fear that this ##### could be with the team next year. Why? Since when have they fired anyone when they should have? They kept Bowles too long. They kept Maccagnan way too long.  Why Johnson doesn't fire them is worthy of a college thesis. It's just one bad hire after another.  The probable correct answer is that the Johnsons are just completely inept. Part of me wonders if they just don't want to be proven wrong about any of their hires and hang on too long hoping that their hire turns it around.

An absolute joke we are. F'ng embarrassing. As I've said, been a fan of this god forsaken franchise for almost 50 years. John Riggins was my first man crush in football. It's w never been worse here and that includes the entire 1970's as at least those teams were competitive. This team? Just a total #### show.

Lev Bell never even had a chance to show his stuff. I have no doubt whoever signs Bell will have a motivated mofo who will conjur up memories of what he used to do in Pittsburgh.

Never have been so ashamed of this franchise as I do right now...disgusting what this franchise has become!
I don't have proof yet that Douglas sucks. I don't have much to point to that says he is good, either.

Le'Veon Bell was a sunk cost. Gase is horrible enough that Bell was never going to have a good game to entice some other team to trade for him. I have to believe Douglas realized this and simply cut him. Remember, Douglas had nothing to do with bringing Bell to the Jets.

There is nothing positive to say about the Jets right now.

The answer is for Chris Johnson to admit he has no idea what the hell he is doing and state through the media to the fans and NFL coaches and players that the team's record is proof of that. Then he steps out of the way and lets Joe Douglas pick the next coach OR he fires Douglas and Gase on the same day. That is a tough call there. From our outsider point of view it is difficult for any of us here to know how complicit Douglas is with all this nonsense. 

0-16 with a hip or in or lit, or whatever the kids say these days, head coach like Eric Bieniemy, Byron Leftwich, Joe Brady or someone like that coupled with some changes from ownership would be enough for Trevor Lawrence to not be like John Elway or Eli Manning. 

If Gase gets fired tomorrow or the day after the season finale and Johnson hires some nondescript retread like Jim Caldwell, then maybe Lawrence says no. I think the key is a new head coach with ideas and a personality and ownership publically admitting to stupidity and that they (or he, if Woody is still not really in the picture in early January) finally saw the light after a lost decade.

If the Jets went 0-16, could not draft Trevor Lawrence due to their epic decade of poop? Wow, now that would be the ultimate kick to the groin.

$27M guaranteed 

Started 17 games...
We get it. In a thread where everyone in it is lamenting not only what a stupid signing it was mixed with terrible usage of a player by a coaching staff, it was more than just your average waste of money. It was terrible. That said, it's a logical fallacy what you wrote. If we'd won a Super Bowl with him or even made the playoffs, everyone would talk about how good of a signing it turned out to be regardless of the millions per game we were spending on him.

But it wasn't. Todd knew from the jump, as NYRAGE pointed out. But he knew because there's an almost festering idea about the replacement value of running backs and how that fits into a salary cap the owners collectively bargained for with the players. The one that limits the pie you can spend. If a big piece of the pie goes to an eminently replaceable position, no good. Now, there are impact running backs around the league starting to get theirs. Pittsburgh is lucky they had Conner, or they would -- and still might -- look bad for letting Le'Veon walk with such reasonable (these days) contract demands.

So it's really all of that, not just $27M for 17 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bell knew in advance he was signing with a ####show of a franchise, and he did it anyways, b/c he wanted the best possible $ contract to show the Steelers off.   Why would anyone give a #### about him?

Bell knew in advance he was signing with a ####show of a franchise, and he did it anyways, b/c he wanted the best possible $ contract to show the Steelers off.   Why would anyone give a #### about him?
I don't think anybody here cares about Bell. We care about the team and how an asset wasn't even close to being used appropriately to win. Which is the name of professional sports. Winning. And we didn't do that by the signing or implementation thereof. We made a bad signing, and compounded the error by announcing publicly that we wouldn't have wanted him had we known and then proceeded to bury him in an impossible situation.

If anybody could feel sympathy for what Bell feels, it's Jets fans. The franchise sucks.  And ruins whatever it touches. But Bell isn't the cause of lament. It's the ####show that is their organization dumping on their fans yet again. 

I don't think anybody here cares about Bell. We care about the team and how an asset wasn't even close to being used appropriately to win. Which is the name of professional sports. Winning. And we didn't do that by the signing or implementation thereof. We made a bad signing, and compounded the error by announcing publicly that we wouldn't have wanted him had we known and then proceeded to bury him in an impossible situation.

If anybody could feel sympathy for what Bell feels, it's Jets fans. The franchise sucks.  And ruins whatever it touches. But Bell isn't the cause of lament. It's the ####show that is their organization dumping on their fans yet again. 
The name of professional sports is "Profit", and different franchises choose different paths to the promised land.

Anyways, my original reply was poorly thought out.   Your points are valid.

:signed: thatguythatwasneveraBellfan:

Anyways, my original reply was poorly thought out.   Your points are valid.

:signed: thatguythatwasneveraBellfan:
Heh. Don't worry. I don't think I took it the wrong way. I think that you're right. I stand corrected, actually. That's part of the problem with us Jets fans. We know we're getting run roughshod by two scions/heirs to the Johnson throne that are in a taxpayer-funded stadium pulling in fistful upon fistful of millions -- with a franchise maybe worth a billion -- dollars, and we get this in return for the buck we support this for-profit enterprise with. It's a damn shame. It's the worst buy going in sports these days, and us fans are total ####### suckers for it.

B) Is JD smart enough to realize that Gase is a trainwreck and deserves to be fired
Self-preservation alone has to tell him his job will eventually be on the line if he lets this train-wreck continue. The issue of course was your C, he probably doesn’t have the authority to fire him.

Jets fans have to be the most loyal fan base in all of sports - don’t know how you all stay with them?

The Jets don’t deserve you.

I say this as a lifelong Dolphin fan and I despise the Jets.

”Oh the pain”

Jets fans have to be the most loyal fan base in all of sports - don’t know how you all stay with them?

The Jets don’t deserve you.

I say this as a lifelong Dolphin fan and I despise the Jets.
As I get older, I become more existential.  I've often wondered why I haven't switched allegiances especially after I moved to Texas over 20 years ago. It's just not in me. I tell my friends' kids not follow the same path. 

Is it loyalty, masochism or something else? Not sure. It would make a good psychological study. I'm the same dope that played an amateur hockey championship game with 2 broken ribs, a separated shoulder with torn labrum, and a sprained MCL. Loyalty to my team or something else?

I still root for the same rotten franchises (Jets, Mets, Rangers, and Knicks) that I did in my youth. I will say that the time the Rangers won the Stanley Cup in 94 after decades of futility was the best sports moment of my life. The sweetest victory and to this day, one of my favorite moments in life.  I suppose a Jets Championship would feel similar, but boy I can envision a million things happening before the Jets ever come close to being in a Super Bowl again.

At the end of the day, this "loyalty" is no badge of honor.

I read that there is an injury kicker for $8M for Bell next season that seemed like it was a poison pill for teams to swallow in a trade.  With this season in the toilet, kind of makes sense to just flush it out and save the chance at $8M injury risk for next season.

At this point might as well keep Gase and try to get to 0-16, no coach can survive that, I know it seems anything is possible with the Johnsons, but without Fans in the stands there really is no pressure to fire the guy right now... its a 1-2 win team tops... and the best chance at 0-16 is probably keeping him...

I don't get as bummed about the team as I used to, I just miss watching a decent Football team to root for...its been a solid decade....

It's incredible that we went from Idzik -> Maccagnan, anyone on this board could have done better with an Athlon Draft mag... its absolutely nuts...

Oh well, nothing else to root for other than 0-16.. sigh...

I don't have proof yet that Douglas sucks. I don't have much to point to that says he is good, either.

Le'Veon Bell was a sunk cost. Gase is horrible enough that Bell was never going to have a good game to entice some other team to trade for him. I have to believe Douglas realized this and simply cut him. Remember, Douglas had nothing to do with bringing Bell to the Jets.

There is nothing positive to say about the Jets right now.

The answer is for Chris Johnson to admit he has no idea what the hell he is doing and state through the media to the fans and NFL coaches and players that the team's record is proof of that. Then he steps out of the way and lets Joe Douglas pick the next coach OR he fires Douglas and Gase on the same day. That is a tough call there. From our outsider point of view it is difficult for any of us here to know how complicit Douglas is with all this nonsense. 

0-16 with a hip or in or lit, or whatever the kids say these days, head coach like Eric Bieniemy, Byron Leftwich, Joe Brady or someone like that coupled with some changes from ownership would be enough for Trevor Lawrence to not be like John Elway or Eli Manning. 

If Gase gets fired tomorrow or the day after the season finale and Johnson hires some nondescript retread like Jim Caldwell, then maybe Lawrence says no. I think the key is a new head coach with ideas and a personality and ownership publically admitting to stupidity and that they (or he, if Woody is still not really in the picture in early January) finally saw the light after a lost decade.

If the Jets went 0-16, could not draft Trevor Lawrence due to their epic decade of poop? Wow, now that would be the ultimate kick to the groin.
And that my friend is exactly what I'm afraid is going to happen...Lawrence gets so spooked at being a Jet and what happened to Darnold that he stays in school. I've said it a bunch of times and tho most of my fellow Jet brothers in here think he's coming out because it's "NY...the greatest city on earth" and cause "he wants to cash as soon as he can"...yada yada yada....I think these brothers of mine are going to be in for rude awakening when Lawrence decides he doesn't want to deal with this #### show.

As far as Douglass, I'm probably the biggest proponent of him still. I was on board with the hire from the get go and I'm still on board. Agreed that his FA signings to help the O-line really haven't worked out tho Fant has showed some signs of being a keeper. Most of the guys are on 1year deals so they can be gone by next season which most of them will. So overall the O-line really hasn't looked improved and that can be in part that they never had a chance to gel in training camp but no excuse for how abysmal they look tho they have been able to open up holes for Frank Gore for his 3 yard scampers so that is a positive.

Injuries haven't helped obviously as Perriman who was supposed to replace Robbie hasn't even been on the field...so can't even say whether Perriman is good or not. As far as Douglass's first draft, I was excited about it before the season as it looked like it had potential to be the best Jet draft in over a decade. Now? Not so much. Becton is hurt but he looks like the real deal from what I've seen of him and should be whoever is behind center, his blind side protection for the next 10 years. The Mims pick which looked so brilliant as he was able to be drafted so late in the 2nd round and we got an extra 4th round pick doesn't look good or bad right now as Mims also can't get on the field.

Ashtyn David in the 3rd before season looked like a real savvy pick seeing Douglass obviously suspected Adams wouldn't be here much longer. He's another one who can't stay on the f field. I mean it's friggen nuts. Now I know plenty of teams in the league are dealing with injuries but the Jets seemingly have more than most.

Anyways bottom line, the Johnson's are going nowhere so that's not even an option.  Douglass is the least of my concerns for this football team. He has the pedigree having worked under Ozzie Newsome and Howie Roseman and being a big part behind the scenes of brining those  teams SB titles. The cupboard was extremely bare for him and so I need to see a few more drafts and what he does with all this cap space we have before next season before I can make a full judgement of him. But for now as I said Douglass is the least of my concerns.

What needs to happen is Gase out of here but as I've said a ton of times as well due to Douglass having been hired by Gase and them being friends, he's not firing Gase during the season. If he goes it will be after the year when we are 0-16 or 1-15 with the #1 overall in our pocket. I just hope and pray by than, we have an enticing enough offensive mind here that Lawrence will be OK about working with. Until that happens, I have my doubts.

And that my friend is exactly what I'm afraid is going to happen...Lawrence gets so spooked at being a Jet and what happened to Darnold that he stays in school. I've said it a bunch of times and tho most of my fellow Jet brothers in here think he's coming out because it's "NY...the greatest city on earth" and cause "he wants to cash as soon as he can"...yada yada yada....I think these brothers of mine are going to be in for rude awakening when Lawrence decides he doesn't want to deal with this #### show.
You mischaracterize our position in here in a lot of your responses (even calling people who assess Sam differently from you as "haters" instead of accepting the reality that we're just disappointed in a player taken third overall making rookie mistakes in Year 3).

I do not believe anyone said he'd come out because NYC is the greatest city on Earth or anything even close to that.

I feel 100% confident he would come out (assuming Gase is gone) for many reasons:

1. He should have two NCAA Championships at the end of the season so what would he be going back for?

2. It would be a terrible financial decision for him to give up one year of his rookie deal.

3. He is a cocky star in the making. I'm sure he believes he can turn any franchise around. One in a New York market, all the better. 

4. This rarely ever happens - just because Peyton did it doesn't meat Trevor will.

I read that there is an injury kicker for $8M for Bell next season that seemed like it was a poison pill for teams to swallow in a trade.  With this season in the toilet, kind of makes sense to just flush it out and save the chance at $8M injury risk for next season.

At this point might as well keep Gase and try to get to 0-16, no coach can survive that, I know it seems anything is possible with the Johnsons, but without Fans in the stands there really is no pressure to fire the guy right now... its a 1-2 win team tops... and the best chance at 0-16 is probably keeping him...

I don't get as bummed about the team as I used to, I just miss watching a decent Football team to root for...its been a solid decade....

It's incredible that we went from Idzik -> Maccagnan, anyone on this board could have done better with an Athlon Draft mag... its absolutely nuts...

Oh well, nothing else to root for other than 0-16.. sigh...
It is precisely this my friend that over a span of a week due to my missing what used to be fun to watch Jet football, I watched on YouTube which has all the old playoff games, the Jets huge wins over the Bengals in '82 to get to the LA to face the Raiders where we won there as well to get too the AFC title game vs Miami. 

You watch these games and you know what I noticed. An offensive line back than that was very good(imagine that?) with solid players like Marvin Powell, Joe Fields, Chris Ward. The Jets had a RB crew that was excellent in Freeman McNeil, Scott Dierking, Bruce Harper(imagine that?). And we had a QB in Richard Todd who finally had put it together after some tough years but he was really good in 1982(imagine that?).

Than you go to the other side of the ball and you got the Sack Exchange of Klecko, Gastineau, Kenny Neil and Lyons. Man were they good. I had forgotten how fast and quick Gastineau was. I mean he was a total ####### but he was our #######. The linebackers crew of Lance Mehl, Bob Crable, Greg Buttle were tough as nails. And we had a secondary that was actually competent with guys like Darrell Ray, Ken Schroy. #### we even had a coaching staff that was pretty good with Walt Michaels, Joe Walton and Bud Carson. Just imagine all this actually was a reality for this team.

Yeah I'm waxing poetic but it's not like this team hasn't had some really good players and has not had some very good teams. I'm convinced that had Don f'n Shula not allowed the Orange Bowl field to become a mud pit which negated our speed advantage over the Dolphins, we would have beat them in the AFC title game and it would have been us playing the Redskins in the SB and I would have given us a pretty decent chance of winning that game vs the Hogs...we were that good that year.

Anyways, that's the only thing that's positive for me right now about this franchise....good #### that happened decades ago.....uggggggggg

Agreed that his FA signings to help the O-line really haven't worked out tho Fant has showed some signs of being a keeper. Most of the guys are on 1year deals so they can be gone by next season which most of them will. So overall the O-line really hasn't looked improved and that can be in part that they never had a chance to gel in training camp but no excuse for how abysmal they look tho they have been able to open up holes for Frank Gore for his 3 yard scampers so that is a positive.
Anyone that was expecting the o-line to be rebuilt in one offseason, knows nothing about football. Great o-linemen do not hit free agency, they just don't. I think he was very smart to just try to get bodies in to protect Sam without overpaying for mediocrity. Giving out one year contracts, like you said, was very smart in that when they don't work out he can cut bait and try again. The next two drafts should help them build up the o-line. As bad as this line is it's better than last season by a decent amount. It's another reason why I think Sam's regression is even more disappointing and some of these sacks are on him as on many of them he had time to get rid of the ball and/or run for positive yards.

Yeah, you can't just buy a good O-line these days. You might be able to get one interior guy or RT (who will usually be overpaid, as his previous team would have kept him otherwise) but not 3 or 4. Gotta spend some draft capital and hope you hit a couple of home runs in the middle rounds.  Becton is a good start. Doesn't look like Edoga is a keeper unfortunately, but not time to give up on him quite yet.

Nobody was taking on his salary for this year given how he's performed and the obvious desire the Jets had to get rid of him. Plus if he got hurt, they'd be on the hook for $8M next year.

The optics obviously look horrendous and this entire situation just further cements the Jets as the laughing stock of the sports world. But at the end of the day, Douglas simply cut bait on his predecessor's mistake. We're past the point of keeping Bell around to try and win games (since winning games is no longer ideal) and its not like having Bell around was helping Sam anyway.

To truly evaluate this, we'd have to know three things....

A) What is JD's honest assessment of Sam and the expectations for the rest of the year

C) Does JD even have the power to fire Gase?

Since we dont know any of things, its pretty damn hard to judge anything JD does right now.  There's just no sense of a plan that we can judge individual decisions against at this point.
Yea, was thinking about this after I posted. No way someone was going to pony up anything for Bell. 

I also agree that JD is a little hamstrung. I hate, hate, hate the Johnson's power structure. It simply cannot work to have the GM and coach on the same level. The coach reports to the gm who reports to either ownership or the president. Vertical, not horizontal. 

You mischaracterize our position in here in a lot of your responses (even calling people who assess Sam differently from you as "haters" instead of accepting the reality that we're just disappointed in a player taken third overall making rookie mistakes in Year 3).

I do not believe anyone said he'd come out because NYC is the greatest city on Earth or anything even close to that.

I feel 100% confident he would come out (assuming Gase is gone) for many reasons:

1. He should have two NCAA Championships at the end of the season so what would he be going back for?

2. It would be a terrible financial decision for him to give up one year of his rookie deal.

3. He is a cocky star in the making. I'm sure he believes he can turn any franchise around. One in a New York market, all the better. 

4. This rarely ever happens - just because Peyton did it doesn't meat Trevor will.
Whatever...some in here certainly seem like they've gone past the disappointment stage with Sam. This is just semantics and I wouldn't get my panties all tied up in a bunch if I used a word a little loosely. Bottom line is Darnold has been dealt the worst hand possibly imaginable and tho he certainly has made some mistakes, alot of it is because he has no time to make more than one read, is constantly running for his life and he has absolute #### to throw the rock too as these are guys who rarely if ever because they aren't talented enough and shouldn't be on the field, aren't able to get the separation necessary for a QB any QB to have success.

Listen, your obviously on the Darnold needs to go train and that's fine. If it wasn't the money situation where we need to decide to pay him what is it 20 mill or so, well I'd love to keep him and see how he'd do with an improved O-line, better weaponry, a new f'n coaching staff too help the poor kid. And I'd trade the #1 overall if we got it for the motherload which would be what the team needed.

But it's not going to happen and so we are likely going to attempt a reset which blows chunks but financially it makes sense tho making sense and the Jets seems like an oxymoron but it's likely what's going to happen. Let's just hope you end up being correct in your assessment that Lawrence will come out. I'm not even close to being convinced that will happen and won't be until he actually says he's coming out....we shalt see.

Whatever...some in here certainly seem like they've gone past the disappointment stage with Sam. This is just semantics and I wouldn't get my panties all tied up in a bunch if I used a word a little loosely. Bottom line is Darnold has been dealt the worst hand possibly imaginable and tho he certainly has made some mistakes, alot of it is because he has no time to make more than one read, is constantly running for his life and he has absolute #### to throw the rock too as these are guys who rarely if ever because they aren't talented enough and shouldn't be on the field, aren't able to get the separation necessary for a QB any QB to have success.

Listen, your obviously on the Darnold needs to go train and that's fine. If it wasn't the money situation where we need to decide to pay him what is it 20 mill or so, well I'd love to keep him and see how he'd do with an improved O-line, better weaponry, a new f'n coaching staff too help the poor kid. And I'd trade the #1 overall if we got it for the motherload which would be what the team needed.

But it's not going to happen and so we are likely going to attempt a reset which blows chunks but financially it makes sense tho making sense and the Jets seems like an oxymoron but it's likely what's going to happen. Let's just hope you end up being correct in your assessment that Lawrence will come out. I'm not even close to being convinced that will happen and won't be until he actually says he's coming out....we shalt see.
Sam is very young and got dealt a bad hand......if somehow the Jets pull off a few wins I'd be fine keeping him if there was a way to get him on a reasonable contract extension. 

I would only move on if they had a shot at Lawrence....the reset is happening with or without Sam.....it stinks but its reality.  I have zero concern about Lawrence not coming out unless Gase is still coach which would be ridiculous......The Jets will have a top LT....ton of picks and cap room with a respected GM and a shiny new coach that Im sure will have Lawrence's teams stamp if it goes that route.  

Was thinking more and more about it because that's what I do at work when things get boring and F it here goes...lol

The conundrum I have going on in my head is I believe we already have 4 or 5 1st and 2nd round picks in the next draft. What could we get if we dealt the #1 overall pick? Probably a #### ton...yes? Probably an RGIII type deal should be very possible. These additional #1 and #2 round picks we could get would be additional ammo to build around Sam.

The only thing that is somewhat of a negative here is we need to pay Sam 15-20 mill per for his next contract. But if we trust Douglass and I do, with all this draft capital and a #### ton of cap space to go after UFA's, Darnold within a year or two at most would have a competent O-line where he wouldn't be running for his life and would be able to make more than one read. He'd have solid weapons who can create separation to throw the ball too. And we'd be able to build up the defense so that that we could have a better handle on field position. Oh I forgot and Gase would gone and a solid offensive mind would be brought in which would be huge for Sam!

The main benefit I see in taking Lawrence is we get to do a reset as he'd be on a rookie contract. But he'd still be dealing with alot of the #### Sam has been dealing with and it would take likely 2 additional years for us to get the point where we would be relevant. I dunno, it's a close call but right now I'd lean towards keeping Sam, pay him hopefully a fair amount for his 2nd contract and build a f'n wall around him with all the assets we had. That to me seems the quickest and most effective way for the Jets to get back to not only relevance but to be competitive for the playoffs. I want to win now...I'm sick of waiting for another 3-4 year rebuild. We deal the #1 overall and simply build around Sam, the rebuild could be quicker than we think and definitely quicker than if we take Lawrence.

I know I'm probably on an island here and everyone thinks Lawrence is the cat's meow but F it...I'm used to it and that's fine with me being on this island with these hot Tahiti woman. I still believe in Sam and not ready to give up on him especially if the moves I've discussed happen which they should be able to. Go ahead and flame me...I'm ready...lol

Was thinking more and more about it because that's what I do at work when things get boring and F it here goes...lol

The conundrum I have going on in my head is I believe we already have 4 or 5 1st and 2nd round picks in the next draft. What could we get if we dealt the #1 overall pick? Probably a #### ton...yes? Probably an RGIII type deal should be very possible. These additional #1 and #2 round picks we could get would be additional ammo to build around Sam.

The only thing that is somewhat of a negative here is we need to pay Sam 15-20 mill per for his next contract. But if we trust Douglass and I do, with all this draft capital and a #### ton of cap space to go after UFA's, Darnold within a year or two at most would have a competent O-line where he wouldn't be running for his life and would be able to make more than one read. He'd have solid weapons who can create separation to throw the ball too. And we'd be able to build up the defense so that that we could have a better handle on field position. Oh I forgot and Gase would gone and a solid offensive mind would be brought in which would be huge for Sam!

The main benefit I see in taking Lawrence is we get to do a reset as he'd be on a rookie contract. But he'd still be dealing with alot of the #### Sam has been dealing with and it would take likely 2 additional years for us to get the point where we would be relevant. I dunno, it's a close call but right now I'd lean towards keeping Sam, pay him hopefully a fair amount for his 2nd contract and build a f'n wall around him with all the assets we had. That to me seems the quickest and most effective way for the Jets to get back to not only relevance but to be competitive for the playoffs. I want to win now...I'm sick of waiting for another 3-4 year rebuild. We deal the #1 overall and simply build around Sam, the rebuild could be quicker than we think and definitely quicker than if we take Lawrence.

I know I'm probably on an island here and everyone thinks Lawrence is the cat's meow but F it...I'm used to it and that's fine with me being on this island with these hot Tahiti woman. I still believe in Sam and not ready to give up on him especially if the moves I've discussed happen which they should be able to. Go ahead and flame me...I'm ready...lol
Im not going to flame you - its not a crazy take at all......jets reset a decade of solid teams with the 4 1st rd draft pick yr.  A bounty of picks is enticing.....key for me anyway is to have sam show big improvement down the stretch when he has some of his weapons back.....then agree to a reasonable extension in the offseason.  If those both happen then I wouldnt completely lose my mind if they passed on Lawrence.  

Sam Darnold (shoulder) has been ruled out for Week 6.

Darnold said Monday he still "feels pain" in his throwing shoulder. He'll miss his second straight game with an AC joint sprain, leaving Joe Flacco to make another start. The Jets have been cautious with Darnold, but he looks on track for a Week 7 return. 
Just to make it even more difficult to evaluate our "franchise" QB - lets hold him out multiple weeks.

I can get behind this. I'm in the "Sam hasn't had a fair chance at all" camp. 

Users who are viewing this thread