What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (10 Viewers)

Lawrence may not realize the challenge that watching the Jets is

-QG
Lawrence is probably well aware of the tire fire in Jersey and is probably desperately hoping he goes to the Cowboys at four or five. Just something to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't know, at this point, why I root for this franchise. All I think of when I see it is dirty, incompetent Jersey and tire fires and industrial waste. It's not a funny outlook or anything. It's really freaking sad.

I remember the QBs listed before and only feel qualified to talk about O'Brien and forward because of age though I remember Richard Todd, the soaked field, and A.J. Duhe. It's actually my first football memory. My second distinct Jets memory and watching them take a lead on the Browns in the playoffs only to cough it up to Kevin Mack and company. McNeil had a touchdown or two to give them like a 24-14 lead or something. Mosely missed in OT giving us a second chance, but we biffed it and gave the ball back to get beat by a second Mosely try. So I guess my early memories are of tough playoff losses. Oof.

I honestly don't know, at this point, why I root for this franchise. All I think of when I see it is dirty, incompetent Jersey and tire fires and industrial waste. It's not a funny outlook or anything. It's really freaking sad.

FYI, other than areas within like 10 miles of the turnpike north of say....Woodbridge, its actually really nice here :shrug:

edit: and oh yeah, like 80% of South Jersey kinda sucks as well.

FYI, other than areas within like 10 miles of the turnpike north of say....Woodbridge, its actually really nice here :shrug:
I know. Tons of friends that live in Jersey. I'm thinking of the industrial smokestacks along the New Jersey Turnpike and just kvetching.

edit: and oh yeah, like 80% of South Jersey kinda sucks as well.
Very much gas station/convenience store country. I remember making stops there during our (my friends and I) annual trip to Philadelphia. We used to go once a year for a Phillies weekend and to all meet up again (we had all lived in D.C. years prior) and made it a point to go there every year. Going through South Jersey if one got lost was interesting, to say the least.

Having been born in Brooklyn raised in New City, NY(Rockland County) and now living in Doylestown, PA about 45 minutes north of Philly, I can honestly say that being down here in Eagle country isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Eagle fan base is kind of like ours...consistently frustrated albeit that one year they won the SB and always complaining. So me and my Eagle brothers get along quite well.

South Jersey is not an area I tend to travel too whether it be for business or otherwise as it's like was said....a bunch of Wawa's and strip malls. However where I live in Bucks County one of those 4 major suburbs that surround center city Philly which most of the time determines elections is a very nice area.

As far as previous Jet QB's I'm old enough to have seen Namath's final years with the Jets but he was a shell of his former self as he couldn't move for the most part due to those bum knees of his but he still had a cannon of an arm. And on occasion he would have some monster games. IMO, he's not a Hall of Famer due to his stats. He's a HOF er due to what he meant to the game and that epic SB win over the Colts which I was too young to recall unfortunatly.

Richard Todd was alot better than he is given credit for. I watched his whole career and for a 2-3 year period from 1981 thru 1983 he was just about as good a QB as there was in the AFC. The Jets were good back than tho as they had a very good 0-line anchored by Joe Fields and Marvin Powell, some solid WR's in Wesley Walker, Derrick Gaffney and the best TE the Jets have ever had to this day Mickey Schuler. Obviously the Sack Exchange was born and so they had a very good defense. They really should have won a SB and at worst made it to the SB to have played the Redskins in '82 but for Don Shula not putting tarp on the Orange Bowl field making it a mud pit negating the Jets clear skill advantage over the Dolphins. AJ Duhe still gives me nightmares as indicated by the TV that was tossed out of the dorm window where 30 of us had been watching that 14-0 AFC title game loss...lol. Todd tho was mistake prone but he was uber talented.

Kenny O'Brien was and still is the 2nd best QB the Jets have ever had. He had a howitzer of an arm and ironically, his best games came vs the Dolphins and Marino the QB he was most compared too. I was in attendance in Giants Stadium back in September of '86 at that epic 51-45 OT win over the Fish when O'Brien and Marino combined for 800 or so passing yards and 10 TD passes. O'Brien throwing the game tying TD pass too Walker with no time on the clock regulation and than the GW TD pass to Walker in OT to this day remains the best and most memorable game I've ever attended and we are talking at least 80 or so most of them at Shea from 1977 thru 1983 when they left town.

Too bad Testeverde tore his achillies tendon the first game of the 1999 season seeing the Jets were primed to go on a SB run that year having lost to Denver in the AFC title game the previous year. Watching Curtis Martin as a Jet is one of the joys of my life as a Jet fan...he was so damn good.

Pennington was pretty good...great game manager but a noodle for an arm which was a shame cause if he eve had the kind of arm Sanchez had, he'd have been great. Sanchez was also a very good game manager for awhile as we had a great O-line to protect him and solid weapons for him to throw too. 

Too me Darnold having that epic game in the Rose Bowl vs Penn State is what ironically what has ended up hurting him. For me, watching that game, I thought Darnold was a sure thing and so when we dealt those extra 2nd round picks with the Colts and moved up to 3 from 6 with the Colts, I was ecstatic that we might have a shot at getting him. Once the Browns took Baker and the Giants too Saquon, I thought finally the football gods were smiling upon us.Little did I know nor any of us know that Mac was going to not address the needs on the O-line which has been a huge reason for Sam being so disappointing. Horrible coaching hasn't helped either.

Once Sam goes to the Colts for example and gets coached up by a Frank Reich type coach, he'll likely end up being the QB we thought we were getting...oh well. So long as we get Lawrence and he ends up being the next Elway, I don't think any of us will care.

Bottom line...the Jets have had some decent QB's over the years. And they've had some decent coaching....Michaels, Walton, Parcells, Herm, Rex. It's our GM's who have stunk biglie. I think Douglass we have the right guy. Now we need to hire a Joe Brady or a Brian Daboll, Lincoln Riley type, and we should be on our way. 

First thing first...on to LA for a 41-10 trouncing...lol

Maybe at first, but you get dulled to it pretty quickly. I have at least 5 other tvs on when they play as a distraction.
It's better as a non-Giants/Jets fans here than in the old days when you would get one (usually the Giants) at 1 and the other (Jets) at 4 with the double-header game the rest of the country got to see blacked out.

-QG

Having been born in Brooklyn raised in New City, NY(Rockland County) and now living in Doylestown, PA about 45 minutes north of Philly, I can honestly say that being down here in Eagle country isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Eagle fan base is kind of like ours...consistently frustrated albeit that one year they won the SB and always complaining. So me and my Eagle brothers get along quite well.

South Jersey is not an area I tend to travel too whether it be for business or otherwise as it's like was said....a bunch of Wawa's and strip malls. However where I live in Bucks County one of those 4 major suburbs that surround center city Philly which most of the time determines elections is a very nice area.

As far as previous Jet QB's I'm old enough to have seen Namath's final years with the Jets but he was a shell of his former self as he couldn't move for the most part due to those bum knees of his but he still had a cannon of an arm. And on occasion he would have some monster games. IMO, he's not a Hall of Famer due to his stats. He's a HOF er due to what he meant to the game and that epic SB win over the Colts which I was too young to recall unfortunatly.

Richard Todd was alot better than he is given credit for. I watched his whole career and for a 2-3 year period from 1981 thru 1983 he was just about as good a QB as there was in the AFC. The Jets were good back than tho as they had a very good 0-line anchored by Joe Fields and Marvin Powell, some solid WR's in Wesley Walker, Derrick Gaffney and the best TE the Jets have ever had to this day Mickey Schuler. Obviously the Sack Exchange was born and so they had a very good defense. They really should have won a SB and at worst made it to the SB to have played the Redskins in '82 but for Don Shula not putting tarp on the Orange Bowl field making it a mud pit negating the Jets clear skill advantage over the Dolphins. AJ Duhe still gives me nightmares as indicated by the TV that was tossed out of the dorm window where 30 of us had been watching that 14-0 AFC title game loss...lol. Todd tho was mistake prone but he was uber talented.

Kenny O'Brien was and still is the 2nd best QB the Jets have ever had. He had a howitzer of an arm and ironically, his best games came vs the Dolphins and Marino the QB he was most compared too. I was in attendance in Giants Stadium back in September of '86 at that epic 51-45 OT win over the Fish when O'Brien and Marino combined for 800 or so passing yards and 10 TD passes. O'Brien throwing the game tying TD pass too Walker with no time on the clock regulation and than the GW TD pass to Walker in OT to this day remains the best and most memorable game I've ever attended and we are talking at least 80 or so most of them at Shea from 1977 thru 1983 when they left town.

Too bad Testeverde tore his achillies tendon the first game of the 1999 season seeing the Jets were primed to go on a SB run that year having lost to Denver in the AFC title game the previous year. Watching Curtis Martin as a Jet is one of the joys of my life as a Jet fan...he was so damn good.

Pennington was pretty good...great game manager but a noodle for an arm which was a shame cause if he eve had the kind of arm Sanchez had, he'd have been great. Sanchez was also a very good game manager for awhile as we had a great O-line to protect him and solid weapons for him to throw too. 

Too me Darnold having that epic game in the Rose Bowl vs Penn State is what ironically what has ended up hurting him. For me, watching that game, I thought Darnold was a sure thing and so when we dealt those extra 2nd round picks with the Colts and moved up to 3 from 6 with the Colts, I was ecstatic that we might have a shot at getting him. Once the Browns took Baker and the Giants too Saquon, I thought finally the football gods were smiling upon us.Little did I know nor any of us know that Mac was going to not address the needs on the O-line which has been a huge reason for Sam being so disappointing. Horrible coaching hasn't helped either.

Once Sam goes to the Colts for example and gets coached up by a Frank Reich type coach, he'll likely end up being the QB we thought we were getting...oh well. So long as we get Lawrence and he ends up being the next Elway, I don't think any of us will care.

Bottom line...the Jets have had some decent QB's over the years. And they've had some decent coaching....Michaels, Walton, Parcells, Herm, Rex. It's our GM's who have stunk biglie. I think Douglass we have the right guy. Now we need to hire a Joe Brady or a Brian Daboll, Lincoln Riley type, and we should be on our way. 

First thing first...on to LA for a 41-10 trouncing...lol
I remember that epic Jets-Dolphins game when I was at Aqueduct racetrack. Maybe only the Monday Night Miracle was better. The second Monday night miracle from a few weeks ago wasn't bad either.

What if we had to name our worst games of all time?

The contenders: The aforementioned Jets-Broncos game? The Gastineau penalty against the Browns? The aforementioned Testaverde getting hurt game? The Marino spike? Doug Brien's missed fg against Pittsburgh in the playoffs and Herm always going for the fg? The Butt Fumble? The Mud Bowl? The Jets and Fitz choking in the last game of the year to miss the playoffs? The Leon Johnson interception against the Lions in the last week to miss the playoffs? There are so many possibilities. I'm probably missing a few hundred other examples.

Worst Jets moment for me was the buttfumble. That was humiliation in such a microcosm that I took it out pretty tough that night. That was the last of me getting personally offended by the Jets. #### couldn't get worse, and hasn't.

When it takes a miracle last second play to beat the Jets, then you're probably not going to the playoffs. Yes, we're that bad.

There's a ton of losses that still to this day irk me especially the "Mud Bowl" loss to the Dolphins which I mentioned before but the absolute worst one if I had to pick just one would be the loss to the Broncos in the '98 AFC Championship game.

The Jets were by far IMO the best team in the league that year and this was going to be the year we were going to get the monkey off our backs and Super Bowl here we come. I recall distinctly thinking that we were going to be meeting up with the Vikings in the SB that year and that it was going to be an awesome SB. 

So the Vikings obviously lose the Falcons and I recall getting even more excited seeing that so long as we beat the Broncos we are in like flint as now we don't even have to deal with the Vikings. The football gods were paving the way for us it seemed like for me. So we go up 10-0 heading into the 3rd quarter, the Broncos can't do squatole vs our defense all friggen day. Elway and Terrell Davis can't do #### and than if I recall correctly two Keith Byers fumbles later takes all the momentum away and next thing we know, sayanora and once again we blow another opportunity to not only get to the SB but win it.

No question in my mind, we win that Bronco game, we win the SB as we would have beaten the Falcons that year with that Jet team and the course of history changges forever for the Jets. Belechik stays here no question and we likely win another SB or two down the road. So yeah of the hundreds of horrific losses I've experienced as a fan of this god forsaken cursed franchise, that Denver AFC title game is worst loss for me as a Jet fan because that team was the most dominant Jet team we ever had and was poised to win it all but we choked at the worst possible time and we coughed up the best chance any of us who have been around for awhile to see this team win a championship. 

There's a ton of losses that still to this day irk me especially the "Mud Bowl" loss to the Dolphins which I mentioned before but the absolute worst one if I had to pick just one would be the loss to the Broncos in the '98 AFC Championship game.

The Jets were by far IMO the best team in the league that year and this was going to be the year we were going to get the monkey off our backs and Super Bowl here we come. I recall distinctly thinking that we were going to be meeting up with the Vikings in the SB that year and that it was going to be an awesome SB. 

So the Vikings obviously lose the Falcons and I recall getting even more excited seeing that so long as we beat the Broncos we are in like flint as now we don't even have to deal with the Vikings. The football gods were paving the way for us it seemed like for me. So we go up 10-0 heading into the 3rd quarter, the Broncos can't do squatole vs our defense all friggen day. Elway and Terrell Davis can't do #### and than if I recall correctly two Keith Byers fumbles later takes all the momentum away and next thing we know, sayanora and once again we blow another opportunity to not only get to the SB but win it.

No question in my mind, we win that Bronco game, we win the SB as we would have beaten the Falcons that year with that Jet team and the course of history changges forever for the Jets. Belechik stays here no question and we likely win another SB or two down the road. So yeah of the hundreds of horrific losses I've experienced as a fan of this god forsaken cursed franchise, that Denver AFC title game is worst loss for me as a Jet fan because that team was the most dominant Jet team we ever had and was poised to win it all but we choked at the worst possible time and we coughed up the best chance any of us who have been around for awhile to see this team win a championship. 
Definitely #1 - everyone out there knew the Falcons were not good.....they dont blow that lead and they win a Super Bowl...Belichick may stay....changed everything

#2 Mud Bowl - Shula flat out cheats - could you imagine this happening today?  

#3 - 2011 Pitt playoff game - If the team showed up at all in the 1st half they were in the Super Bowl

#4 Colts 2010 - opposite of Pitt....started hot and faded....Colts were probably the better team...unlike Pitt....but they were ripe to be beaten

#5- Cleveland - Gastineau late hit....missed FGs..double OT and a hair from going to the AFCCG

Worst regular season losses

Without a doubt the Marino spike play for me....lost the season in one play as well as Pete Carroll which led to Kotite...just a brutal loss

The buttfumble never really bothered me - always seems like media trying to make a joke....crazy stuff happens in football....I was more disgusted at the shellacking than heartbroken.

A few other annoying losses which may or may not have been mentioned but for me were on the excruciating side were and not necessarily in this order:

The Victor Cruz game in 2011 on Xmas eve which effectively in my view was the beginning of the end of those solid Rex teams we had. I recall watching that game with a few of my Giant fan friends and we were cruising to hopefully another playoff berth.  That play and ultimately the loss was absolutely crushing.

The 2004 AFC divisional game vs Pittsburgh were Doug f'n Brien missed not just one but two GW FG attempts. That game still chaps at me 15 years later as we absolutely no question should have won that one.

The Mark Gastineau roughing the passer game in 1986 AFC divisional round game vs Cleveland when the ### clown Gastineau on a 3rd and forever play for Cleveland kept a drive alive for them and roughed up Bernie Kosar for no reason at all and they subsequently tied the game up in the last seconds and eventually beat us in double OT. That still pisses me off...lol

The 31-27 loss to the Bills in the 1981 AFC WC game at Shea. I was at that game with one of my college buds. It was ####ty rainy cold ### day. We got to the game close to the end of 1st quarter late due to traffic and by the time we sat down beginning of 2nd quarter, it was already 24-0 Bills. This was the first year Jets had made the playoffs since 1970 so all of us Jet fans were pumped up and we had a damn good team than. Richard Todd was Godd and we were going to go on a run as I think we started the year 0-3 that season but ended up winning 10 of our last 11 or so games to make the playoffs. Anyways, Todd leads us on a sick exciting comeback and down by 4 with 15 seconds left at the Bills 10 yard line about to win the game, Todd throws a terrible INT to Bill Simpson and the dream was over. For Jet fans around back than like me, that loss was devastating.

And finally the loss at the end of the year in 2015 to the Bills with a playoff spot firmly in our hands. All we need to do is beat the Bills and Rex and we are in...simple as that. As we all know Jets choked bigtime that day to an absolutely horrible Bills team that might be as bad as our Jet team this year. Fitzpatrick who was magical that entire season  turned into Fitztragic that day and threw 3 or 4 terrible INT's and we choked away a playoff spot. What hurt most about that was that besides losing the game and too Rex, we had done some magical thing on the way to that point having beaten both the Giants and Patriots at the Meadowlands in OT and we were looking like we could be a dangerous team come playoff time. But we blew it and to this day that is the last time the Jets have been relevant in the past 10 years which kind of stings.

There's plenty plenty more but these are just 5 more that still sting to this day besides the 2 worst Jet losses IMO ever which I discussed...the '98 and '82 AFC title game losses to the Broncos and Dolphins.

A few other annoying losses which may or may not have been mentioned but for me were on the excruciating side were and not necessarily in this order:

The Victor Cruz game in 2011 on Xmas eve which effectively in my view was the beginning of the end of those solid Rex teams we had. I recall watching that game with a few of my Giant fan friends and we were cruising to hopefully another playoff berth.  That play and ultimately the loss was absolutely crushing.

The 2004 AFC divisional game vs Pittsburgh were Doug f'n Brien missed not just one but two GW FG attempts. That game still chaps at me 15 years later as we should have won that one.

The Mark Gastineau roughing the passer game in 1986 AFC divisional round game vs Cleveland when the ### clown Gastineau on a 3rd and forever play for Cleveland kept a drive alive for them and roughed up Bernie Kosar for no reason at all and they subsequently tied the game up in the last seconds and eventually beat us in double OT. That still pisses me off...lol

The 31-27 loss to the Bills in the 1981 AFC WC game at Shea. I was at that game with one of my college buds. It was ####ty rainy cold ### day. We got to the game close to the end of 1st quarter late due to traffic and by the time we sat down beginning of 2nd quarter, it was already 24-0 Bills. This was the first year Jets had made the playoffs since 1970 so all of us Jet fans were pumped up and we had a damn good team than. Richard Todd was Godd and we were going to go on a run as I think we started the year 0-3 that season but ended up winning 10 of our last 11 or so games to make the playoffs. Anyways, Todd leads us on a sick exciting comeback and down by 4 with 15 seconds left at the Bills 10 yard line about to win the game, Todd throws a terrible INT to Bill Simpson and the dream was over. For Jet fans around back than like me, that loss was devastating.

And finally the loss at the end of the year in 2015 to the Bills with a playoff spot firmly in our hands. All we need to do is beat the Bills and Rex and we are in...simple as that. As we all know Jets choked bigtime that day to an absolutely horrible Bills team that might be as bad as our Jet team this year. Fitzpatrick who was magical that entire season  turned into Fitztragic that day and threw 3 or 4 terrible INT's and we choked away a playoff spot. What hurt most about that was that besides losing the game and too Rex, we had done some magical thing on the way to that point having beaten both the Giants and Patriots at the Meadowlands in OT and we were looking like we could be a dangerous team come playoff time. But we blew it and to this day that is the last time the Jets have been relevant in the past 10 years which kind of stings.

There's plenty plenty more but these are just 5 more that still sting to this day.
oof those are some rough ones....few more that come to mind for regular season - 

1997 Detroit - after a 1 win season they were one stupid call from making the playoffs....Parcells hated O'Donnell so much he couldnt let him win the game....

1998 - Garrison Hearst OT 96 yd TD run game vs SF - it was like watching slow motion - I kept saying theres no way he can go all the way - it was slow and painful

Jets/Pats 1999.  - coming off the AFCCG loss - every pundit out there had the Jets in the Super Bowl.....so of course Vinny snaps his achilles few plays into game 1.....you could hear a pin drop in the stadium.....crazy thing is Tupa the punter comes in as emergency QB and throws 2 TDs to almost win it.....if they would have 

1991 Bears Mon pm - Blair Thomas fumble with under 2 min left and no TOs for Chi- not only lose a heartbreaking game but he never recovered after that

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
oof those are some rough ones....few more that come to mind for regular season - 

1997 Detroit - after a 1 win season they were one stupid call from making the playoffs....Parcells hated O'Donnell so much he couldnt let him win the game....

1998 - Garrison Hearst OT 96 yd TD run game vs SF - it was like watching slow motion - I kept saying theres no way he can go all the way - it was slow and painful

Jets/Pats 1999.  - coming off the AFCCG loss - every pundit out there had the Jets in the Super Bowl.....so of course Vinny snaps his achilles few plays into game 1.....you could hear a pin drop in the stadium.....crazy thing is Tupa the punter comes in as emergency QB and throws 2 TDs to almost win it.....if they would have 

1991 Bears Mon pm - Blair Thomas fumble with under 2 min left and no TOs for Chi- not only lose a heartbreaking game but he never recovered after that
Yeah those are some classic Jet losses fer sure. 

If memory serves me correct, the Hearst 96 yard TD came on first play of OT.

Interesting tidbit about that Vinny injury. About a week before opening weekend, I had bought Vinny in our fantasy football league's auction for I think it was $26 which was a decent chunk to spend on a QB when you have a $300 cap and RB's and WR's go for $60 or more. I had won the title the previous year and as defending champ I was all set and ready to become the first repeat champ in what at the time was a 5 year old auction league. Well 2 plays into the game, once Vinny's achillies tore, my season went to pieces as well as I only had John Kitna as a backup who was OK but was far cry from Vinny who was about to have the best year of his career. Needless to say, I didn't repeat as champ...lol. More iimportantly the Jets who were the favorites to win the SB that year, never recovered until it was too later when I think it was Ray Lucas led them to winning 6 or 7 games in a row to get the Jets record from 1-7 to 8-8 something like that.

I also recall watching that Blair Thomas game at a bar in it just so happened to be Chicago as I was on a business trip. I believe Thomas was in the midst of having a breakout game at the time and was going great and than the fumble which like you said, bizarrely and effectively ended his career.

Aside from the fumbles, didn't the wind play a big factor, too? I can't remember now exactly, but I'm pretty sure we got screwed by the wind at least once.

The Heast td game was on my list, but then I dropped it.

Omg. the Blair Thomas game. I broke my tv on that one.

Aside from the fumbles, didn't the wind play a big factor, too? I can't remember now exactly, but I'm pretty sure we got screwed by the wind at least once.
Too be honest, don't recall the wind being a factor. It might have been I just don't recall that aspect. What I do remember which I forgot to mention was that besides the Byers  fumbles, even the great Curtis Martin fumbled that day and he never fumbled. We had that game but for those damn fumbles....argggggg

It would be a lot easier to list our good games. Much shorter list.

The Can't Wait game would be up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxc7OsK5kUs

My next game would be the comeback against TB right after we traded Keyshawn Johnson to them. I was at a sports bar here in Houston and there was a table of TB fans talking smack all game. Then when Curtis threw that pass to Chrebet I ran around their table and literally jumped like a stage dive on top of them. My friends couldn't stop laughing. I was so pumped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLnm9_GahqA

It's a short list for now. Those 2 games just stick out.

Too be honest, don't recall the wind being a factor. It might have been I just don't recall that aspect. What I do remember which I forgot to mention was that besides the Byers  fumbles, even the great Curtis Martin fumbled that day and he never fumbled. We had that game but for those damn fumbles....argggggg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6cOw_AZakg

Aside from the wind killing Hall's fg attempt, I remember now. It was the kickoff that got knocked down in the wind and the Broncos recovered it. Omg. I just watched it again (5:35). This only happens to us.

yep that kickoff just died and dropped in for Denver to recover......it was over after that....
Can you ever think of another time that a gust just dropped a kick like that? I can't. I've seen a few fgs get swept away at the last second, but never kickoff in mid-flight go straight down like that. That was an act of God.

It would be a lot easier to list our good games. Much shorter list.

The Can't Wait game would be up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxc7OsK5kUs

My next game would be the comeback against TB right after we traded Keyshawn Johnson to them. I was at a sports bar here in Houston and there was a table of TB fans talking smack all game. Then when Curtis threw that pass to Chrebet I ran around their table and literally jumped like a stage dive on top of them. My friends couldn't stop laughing. I was so pumped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLnm9_GahqA

It's a short list for now. Those 2 games just stick out.
Yah those are two games for sure that were on the memorable side that the Jets won. If you think about it, the "Can't Wait" game was probably the greatest win in our lifetimes if you  take away the Super Bowl win vs the Colts which I was too young to remember considering who it was against and the stakes.

A couple of very memorable ones for me and I'm going to eliminate a playoff win as all those wins were memorable. But for regular season purposes, these two are the most memorable ones for me. Now I already mentioned the '86 51-45 game vs Miami that I was in attendance at as that is and always be #1 for me.

Two others tho in the regular season  were:

Once again vs the Dolphins in 1981. The Jets were down 15-9 with less than 2 minutes left in the game. If the Jets win, they tie the Dolphins for the division lead. And as I mentioned previously, the Jets had started that season 0-3 and so I think they had won 6 in a row before this game at Shea. Anyways, Richard Todd was coming into his own as a QB finally and he led the Jets down the field and with no time on the clock, he hits Jerome Barkum in the end zone and we win 16-15 and Shea is going nuts....Jet Nation was going nuts and we knew than that this was going to be a special year. 

Another regular season that sticks out for me was in 1988, Jets were out of the playoff hunt but we were playing the hated Giants last game of the year.  And if we won, we could knock the Giants out of the playoffs which for Jets fans like me at the time, if we weren't getting into the dance, the next best thing would be to knock the Giants out. Anyways, we are down I think 27-21 as Giants had taken the lead, than Kenny O'Brien leads us on a long drive culminating with a GW TD pass to Al Toon with a few seconds on the clock and we win and knock the Giants out of the playoffs. That was a glorious moment and one I'll never forget.

Yah those are two games for sure that were on the memorable side that the Jets won. If you think about it, the "Can't Wait" game was probably the greatest win in our lifetimes if you  take away the Super Bowl win vs the Colts which I was too young to remember considering who it was against and the stakes.

A couple of very memorable ones for me and I'm going to eliminate a playoff win as all those wins were memorable. But for regular season purposes, these two are the most memorable ones for me. Now I already mentioned the '86 51-45 game vs Miami that I was in attendance at as that is and always be #1 for me.

Two others tho in the regular season  were:

Once again vs the Dolphins in 1981. The Jets were down 15-9 with less than 2 minutes left in the game. If the Jets win, they tie the Dolphins for the division lead. And as I mentioned previously, the Jets had started that season 0-3 and so I think they had won 6 in a row before this game at Shea. Anyways, Richard Todd was coming into his own as a QB finally and he led the Jets down the field and with no time on the clock, he hits Jerome Barkum in the end zone and we win 16-15 and Shea is going nuts....Jet Nation was going nuts and we knew than that this was going to be a special year. 

Another regular season that sticks out for me was in 1988, Jets were out of the playoff hunt but we were playing the hated Giants last game of the year.  And if we won, we could knock the Giants out of the playoffs which for Jets fans like me at the time, if we weren't getting into the dance, the next best thing would be to knock the Giants out. Anyways, we are down I think 27-21 as Giants had taken the lead, than Kenny O'Brien leads us on a long drive culminating with a GW TD pass to Al Toon with a few seconds on the clock and we win and knock the Giants out of the playoffs. That was a glorious moment and one I'll never forget.
You have a good memory.

Tupa actually started 13 games (2 games one year and 11 the next) at QB for the Cardinals before he came to the Jets.  Was starting QB at Ohio State his senior year.  In the pantheon of legendary P/QB hybrids along with Danny White of the Cowboys.

-QG

Tupa actually started 13 games (2 games one year and 11 the next) at QB for the Cardinals before he came to the Jets.  Was starting QB at Ohio State his senior year.  In the pantheon of legendary P/QB hybrids along with Danny White of the Cowboys.

-QG
And Randall Cunningham. He didn’t punt in the NFL much, but he once had a 91-yard punt that was downed at the 1.

My darkest Jets MOMENT was Revis signing with the Patriots. I know that sounds stupid, but it just REALLY hit me. It was like i could see the future and just KNEW that he'd somehow win a title there. (even though many thought their dominance was over after a few "rough" years by Pats standards) My reaction was REALLY angry. I'm not proud of it.

In terms of games....the 09 and 10 AFC title games losses were obviously tough, but even losing, i was so full of hope. We had a 2nd year QB that had been to two titles games (and played pretty well both times, given the opposition), a fiery coach that I believed in. I was proud of what they'd accomplished and truly thought great times were ahead. 

98 hurt, but mostly because their inability to contain Davis was just demoralizing to watch in real time.  If you told me going into that one that Elway would throw for less than 200 yards, I would said pack your bags for the super bowl.  But Jesus.....FIVE turnovers.  I was only like 15 at the time(and more of a basketball/baseball fan at the time) , but if that happened in my 20's, I dont know how I would have reacted.

My darkest Jets MOMENT was Revis signing with the Patriots. I know that sounds stupid, but it just REALLY hit me. It was like i could see the future and just KNEW that he'd somehow win a title there. (even though many thought their dominance was over after a few "rough" years by Pats standards) My reaction was REALLY angry. I'm not proud of it.

In terms of games....the 09 and 10 AFC title games losses were obviously tough, but even losing, i was so full of hope. We had a 2nd year QB that had been to two titles games (and played pretty well both times, given the opposition), a fiery coach that I believed in. I was proud of what they'd accomplished and truly thought great times were ahead. 

98 hurt, but mostly because their inability to contain Davis was just demoralizing to watch in real time.  If you told me going into that one that Elway would throw for less than 200 yards, I would said pack your bags for the super bowl.  But Jesus.....FIVE turnovers.  I was only like 15 at the time(and more of a basketball/baseball fan at the time) , but if that happened in my 20's, I dont know how I would have reacted.
You probably would have reacted like someone like me who was in his 30's at the time did which was be major league pissed off and bitterly dissapointed at blowing what at the time was the best chance the Jets ever had at getting to a Super Bowl. As I said previously, this game vs Denver in the '98 AFC title was by far the most dissapointed I've ever been as Jet game and even with all the bitter losses since, it's still the worst loss IMO in my Jet fandom as that Jet team was the best Jet team to this day ever assembled and we blew it!

My darkest moment was when he re-signed with us and bilked us out of all that money. As great as he was, he always found a way to infuriate me. The holdouts, signing with NE, dogging it the second time with us.  Well, until Jamal Adams came along. I never liked him from the start.

Jags pulling out all the stops.  Their punter is out with an unspecified illness (per Adam Schefter) so Aldrick Rosas (!) is both kicking and punting.  Your move Jets.

-QG

Oh God. Goff is going full moron today.  Officially nervous
I was telling my friends earlier that Goff has the potential to play terrible. Even then I figured that their defense was too good for us.  We better hope they score before the half. Gase will be out-coached as usual after the half. He never makes any adjustments.

Unreal. The punter stops a punt return td. Thr Rams get the ball around the 40. They can't even get into fg range because the boy genius takes 2 deep shots (to a RB and TE) only needing 4 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread