What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (4 Viewers)

Rage I get it...I really do. The unwritten rule in the NFL says you never take a RB in the first round. Well there are exceptions to every rule and Etienne is the exception this so called rule.

This kid is special...major league home run hitter as he's the complete package. Jets have never had anyone like him....EVER!! NO Bruce Harper doesn't count...lol...Time to change that because it's worked out so well for us to not have a weapon like him over the years...right? Have you seen him play? If so, you see how ridiculous he is. There is no one like him coming out of college or even close!

We wouldn't be taking him in the top 5 like a Fourcette, Saquon or an Ezekiel....we are talking about late 1st round which is perfect time to take him. Heck if we could do what the Vikings did and take Etienne in the 2nd round like they did with Dalvin Cook a few years ago....great. But he won't be available than and I wouldn't take the chance he will be cause another team will be chomping at the bit for him.

I'm not saying you forgoe drafting an O-lineman Douglass might like there if he slips but if Etienne is staring at us with let's say the 27th pick, if I'm Douglass I snag Etienne and don't look back and use the dozen or so other draft pieces we'll have as well as zillions of dollars to address other needs. Etienne is a special animal...he'd be awesome in Jet green and white!
I know its been a while but Curtis Martin was the complete package.....and I have no problem taking a RB with a late 1st rd pick....top 10 makes no sense with the salary slots..

I personally like the 2 stud OTs....worked great for Dallas.....If the Jets want a QB or not go the 2 OT route they can certainly bluff Cincy into dealing some picks for a trade down...wont be a huge pkg but could see a 4th rder for them to lock in Sewell and then get the QB at a lesser $ slot and a pick.  

Im done with the Trevor sweepstakes....dont even care if they win out and drop to 3rd....just want this awful season to end and finally fire Gase or just stop caring if they dont.  

Many people say this in Dec/Jan about QB's, and by the time April comes around they skyrocket up boards and go with the top few picks.  I would be shocked if he doesn't go #2 to somebody.
That's only when there isn't legit competition. Wilson and Jones have proven to be not that far off, if they are at all.

But no, neither would it surprise me if Fields held on to the #2 spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen him play, but it doesn't matter who I like or don't like. I just don't think JD will spend top draft equity on a RB. It doesn't appear to be his style.  Look at the slugs he's brought in. Gore. Ballage.Adams.  He doesn't seem to care too much about the position right now. He probably has a half dozen other priorities.
Oh I'm not saying Douglass will do that and take Etienne. I'm just saying that that is what I would do if I were him just to clarify 

I know its been a while but Curtis Martin was the complete package.....and I have no problem taking a RB with a late 1st rd pick....top 10 makes no sense with the salary slots..

I personally like the 2 stud OTs....worked great for Dallas.....If the Jets want a QB or not go the 2 OT route they can certainly bluff Cincy into dealing some picks for a trade down...wont be a huge pkg but could see a 4th rder for them to lock in Sewell and then get the QB at a lesser $ slot and a pick.  

Im done with the Trevor sweepstakes....dont even care if they win out and drop to 3rd....just want this awful season to end and finally fire Gase or just stop caring if they dont.  
Thank you Kiddy. Glad to know I'm not the only knucklehead who would give Etienne some love at around pick #27!....lol

That's only when there isn't legit competition. Wilson and Jones have proven to be not that far off, if they are at all.
I'm not sure that matters as much.  Sure if the Jets can trade down a few spots and get one of the other guys that they like as much, then that's the dream.  But there needs to be a team wanting to trade up to 2 to make that happen.  I believe the Jets will pick Fields, or trade down if someone is really really wanting him.  Either way, Fields goes #2 IMO.  Unless Wilson/Jones skyrocket above him, in which case one of them goes #2. 

Thank you Kiddy. Glad to know I'm not the only knucklehead who would give Etienne some love at around pick #27!....lol
I understand not going crazy on a RB like the Giants did for Barkley drafting him so high and the Jets did with Bell paying him so much...but a big time RB really lifts your offense...at $3M per yr as a late 1st rd pick with the extra yr Id be fine with it...Give Sam one last run with 2 monster Tackles, Etienne, Thuney and A-Rob in FA....if he doesnt take monster step fwd then time to move on.  

I've been wanting a real RB for a long time, but they haven't listened to me nor my cries for a real WR or edge rusher either. At least we got a Left Tackle. Baby steps.
Yah I know and I get it and your not wrong but Etienne is a special special talent. I'd make an exception for him and snag his ### if he was there staring at us at #27 or wherever it might be late in the first. I know I'm on an island along with apparently Kidd but F it...I'm thinking outside the box here as we can still get all those other things we need with our other many draft picks and zillions of dollars at our disposal.

I understand not going crazy on a RB like the Giants did for Barkley drafting him so high and the Jets did with Bell paying him so much...but a big time RB really lifts your offense...at $3M per yr as a late 1st rd pick with the extra yr Id be fine with it...Give Sam one last run with 2 monster Tackles, Etienne, Thuney and A-Rob in FA....if he doesnt take monster step fwd then time to move on.  
I said that...Etienne at 27 is a whole different animal than taking Forunette, Ezekiel, Saquon like those teams did as top 5 picks. The Jets have so many draft picks upcoming in the next 3 drafts and they'd have even more if they trade down from the #2 spot that gambling on a Etienne is well well worth the risk. What a friggen weapon he would be.

Like you say, add Etienne to a Thuney and add another OT to bookend with Mt. Becton. You add an ARob in UFA, the Jets would actually be kind of fun to watch and maybe even dangerous enough to win some games...imagine that! 

Ya see brilliant minds think alike!...lol

I’m definitely in on Lawrence as much as I can. Because if there is one thing the football gods love to do... it’s making every Jets move look like a mockery. That win will likely be yet another thing Jets fans look back at and say what might have been. That win essentially guaranteed Lawrence as a long career with Super Bowl ring and yellow jacket. 🤣

I don't see how the Jets would take Etienne with a young go-getter like Gore holding down the position.

Seriously I am dubious of that kind of investment at RB - I just think the career span of a non-Gore RB is too short.  One of the many failing of my Bengals is too many $ spent at that position.

-QG

Jets’ Trevor Lawrence nightmare may not be all that miserable

https://nypost.com/2020/12/21/jets-fading-trevor-lawrence-dream-doesnt-mean-there-isnt-hope/

Well, it actually is, but I appreciate the attempt to make me feel better.

Yours is the franchise of “Heidi” and Herm, of fake spikes and Buttfumbles, of Lou Holtz fight songs and Rex Ryan foot fetishes. Yours is the playoff home of Mark Gastineau’s late hit and Doug Brien’s wayward leg, yours is the historical archive where IK Enemkpali is breaking Geno Smith’s jaw over $600, where one Hall of Fame quarterback offers to kiss an established broadcaster on TV and another uses his text messages to pass along to an aspiring one his own personal photographic interpretation of the Empire State Building.

So, yes, anger: If you aren’t the Michael Douglas character in “Falling Down” after being a Jets fan for more than a couple of seasons, then you’re either Gandhi or Sir Thomas More.

I'll give him credit for the "Falling Down" reference. I loved that movie. His reasoning for why it isn't that bad is just blah, blah, and blah.

This is a blessing in disguise for the Jets. They have SO MANY holes to fill in that team. If they draft Lawrence they will waste 4 years of that rookie contract just restocking their roster.

Trade out of that #2 spot to someone desperate for a QB and start building their depth up again. Darnold is a good stopgap with better coaching, and the reality is they will be in position for the next 2 drafts to pick a QB.

Take advantage of that draft position to restock the cupboard and the Jets will be ok in a few years.
Jets fans have been saying this since Lyndon B Johnson was President.  

Was listening to the Rich Eisen show. 

Since the NFL adopted the 16 game schedule, all teams that have finished 1-15 received the #1 pick with the exception of CAR in 2001 because the NFL determined the expansion team in Houston would receive the top pick before the season started. 

Along with Peyton staying in school and Belichick resigning as coach, this franchise is cursed. I barely was able to sleep last night.

Was listening to the Rich Eisen show. 

Since the NFL adopted the 16 game schedule, all teams that have finished 1-15 received the #1 pick with the exception of CAR in 2001 because the NFL determined the expansion team in Houston would receive the top pick before the season started. 

Along with Peyton staying in school and Belichick resigning as coach, this franchise is cursed. I barely was able to sleep last night.
Yep. It is quite possible the Jets will go 1-15 for the second time and for the second time not make the top selection in the draft the following year. It is cruel. I am waiting for the payoff and it just never comes. 

By the way, Gase was bragging about Gore today. He told the beat reporters how he was right all along about Gore's usage and it paid off yesterday.  He was being  indignant because he has been criticized about his usage of Gore this year.

23 for 59 is impressive.

Does the future of the Jet franchise depend on the Mustache?
Pretty much in a nutshell, the future of the Jets depends on a noodle-armed Minshew and his receiving corps. Bears D is tough. At least with Robinson, they would have had to respect the run. With Devine Ozigbo there, probably not so much.

The only real hope that the Jags have is that the Bears allow Trubisky to lose the game for them somehow and he obliges. 

NYRAGE said:
No Jets made the Pro Bowl, but we had 3 ex-Jets make it: Adams, Bellore, and Andre Roberts.
 Jamal makes the Pro Bowl team?  Complete joke - guy missed multiple games due to injury and has zero interceptions....good pass rusher but thats not exactly what Im looking for in a safety....Im very happy with the trade...especially after he demands $18M+ this offseason....Ill take the picks and Maye on a reasonable deal

Jamal makes the Pro Bowl team?  Complete joke - guy missed multiple games due to injury and has zero interceptions....good pass rusher but thats not exactly what Im looking for in a safety....Im very happy with the trade...especially after he demands $18M+ this offseason....Ill take the picks and Maye on a reasonable deal
@rockaction's favorite service, PFF, has Maye ranked as the third overall safety compared to Adams at number 49 fwiw.

Acutally, I was never a fan of Adams, but I don't even care anymore. I feel like Q got ripped off. He's definitely become one of the best defensive tackles in the league. PFF has him ranked 15th though. Oddly enough, Fatukasi is ranked 8th overall and the #1 run defender.

Guidry is actually ranked pretty high, too.  Bryce Hall isn't bad either.  Maybe that JD character is pretty good afterall.  I can't wait to see Becton next year with a year of experience under his belt and an improved technique.

Mann is only the 20th ranked punter which is kind of disappointing. Even more disappointing is that he might be our best tackler. Sigh.

Early returns on JD's 1st draft is pretty good - 

Becton - stud - future all pro and cornerstone for years - A

Mims - not quite polished yet but can see the upside...solid contributor already - B-

A Davis - showed enough for me to be confident he'll be in the DB rotation in 2021 - C

Zuninga - looks like this one may be a whiff - not good for a 3rd rd pick - F

L Perine - wish Gase gave him more run before he got hurt to see what he had....from limited action Id say he is a backup RB which isnt awful as a 4th rder - C

Morgan - complete whiff....he couldnt get on the field in a 1 win season and multiple QB issues - F

Cameron Clark - incomplete - more like a red shirt for him.  Inc

Bryce Hall - Looks like a nice hit in the late rds - flashing good talent - B

Mann - solid punter in late rds - think he improves - B

overall it looks like out of 9 picks there are 6 contributors which is unheard of in these parts....

Last 5 Mac drafts produced a total of 9 contributing players, some arent even with the team but im setting a low bar..... 3/6,  2/6,  2/9,  1/7,  1/6

Early returns on JD's 1st draft is pretty good - 

Becton - stud - future all pro and cornerstone for years - A

Mims - not quite polished yet but can see the upside...solid contributor already - B-

A Davis - showed enough for me to be confident he'll be in the DB rotation in 2021 - C

Zuninga - looks like this one may be a whiff - not good for a 3rd rd pick - F

L Perine - wish Gase gave him more run before he got hurt to see what he had....from limited action Id say he is a backup RB which isnt awful as a 4th rder - C

Morgan - complete whiff....he couldnt get on the field in a 1 win season and multiple QB issues - F

Cameron Clark - incomplete - more like a red shirt for him.  Inc

Bryce Hall - Looks like a nice hit in the late rds - flashing good talent - B

Mann - solid punter in late rds - think he improves - B

overall it looks like out of 9 picks there are 6 contributors which is unheard of in these parts....

Last 5 Mac drafts produced a total of 9 contributing players, some arent even with the team but im setting a low bar..... 3/6,  2/6,  2/9,  1/7,  1/6
I love Mims. He's a bit raw, but I think he ends up being a stud.

We have to remember that these guys had no real off-season. Very little practice time and most were hurt. They will be even better next year. I'll give Zuniga a pass for now.

Morgan was a developmental QB, so wasn't expecting much.

Looking forward to see if Clark can contribute next year.

Yeah, this draft class was amazing in comparison to past years.

I love Mims. He's a bit raw, but I think he ends up being a stud.
Really excited about him too, especially since he’s basically played 7 games with no training camp. Of course, I’d be more excited with Trevor throwing to him. :kicksrock:

Brainstorm alert:

I'm convinced after watching last night's Bengalie/Steeler game what Douglass should do, now that it's extremely likely we missed out on Lawrence, is to do everything he can to make the Bengals, who are absolutely desperate for a LT to protect whoever is the QB of Cincy but especially Burrows blindside, believe he's going to take Sewell to bookend with Becton.

Bengals hopefully fall for it and give Douglass a truckload of additional picks to move down the one spot to take Sewell. The Bengals #3 overall, 2021 2nd rounder(#35), 3rd rounder(#67) and a 2022 1st rounder should do the trick.

That's the move to make Joe D and yes I know you read our board.....your welcome hoss!....😎

Brainstorm alert:

I'm convinced after watching last night's Bengalie/Steeler game what Douglass should do, now that it's extremely likely we missed out on Lawrence, is to do everything he can to make the Bengals, who are absolutely desperate for a LT to protect whoever is the QB of Cincy but especially Burrows blindside, believe he's going to take Sewell to bookend with Becton.

Bengals hopefully fall for it and give Douglass a truckload of additional picks to move down the one spot to take Sewell. The Bengals #3 overall, 2021 2nd rounder(#35), 3rd rounder(#67) and a 2022 1st rounder should do the trick.

That's the move to make Joe D and yes I know you read our board.....your welcome hoss!....😎
Hopefully Mike Brown isn’t also reading the thread.

Brainstorm alert:

Bengals hopefully fall for it and give Douglass a truckload of additional picks to move down the one spot to take Sewell.

I was feeling bitter last night and rooted for the Bengals to win. Now that we've blown Lawrence, I want everyone else to fall further away from their first round target. Maybe they can beat the Texans.

Maybe we can trade the pick to someone that wants to jump up ahead of Cincy for Sewell. He's far and away the best offensive tackle in the draft. I'm sure there are a few teams in the top ten that would love to have him even if a trade doesn't net a bundle.

I was feeling bitter last night and rooted for the Bengals to win. Now that we've blown Lawrence, I want everyone else to fall further away from their first round target. Maybe they can beat the Texans.

Maybe we can trade the pick to someone that wants to jump up ahead of Cincy for Sewell. He's far and away the best offensive tackle in the draft. I'm sure there are a few teams in the top ten that would love to have him even if a trade doesn't net a bundle.
I prefer they draft and keep Sewell so if they arent interested it should be pretty easy to bluff Cincy and at least get something for swapping spots....Bears traded a 3rd a 4th and a 3rd the following year...now thats for a QB so figure maybe just a 3rd which would be fine.....

Pretty interesting article.

https://theathletic.com/2278594/2020/12/22/jets-sam-darnold-nfl-draft-trevor-lawrence/

Lombardi basically says that JD first has to assess Darnold without any bias. Then compare to what's available in the draft.. Clearly, Lawrence was a major upgrade to Darnold.  This is only part of the article.

In the Browns/Patriots grading system, the difference between the description of a 6.9 versus a 6.7 is significant even though the numerical grades are relatively close. The words chosen would even make Davis comfortable replacing a 6.7 with a 6.9. The description for a 6.9 player: “He has abilities that can create mismatches versus most opponents. He is a featured player on the team and impacts the outcome of the game. Not one player can take him out of the game. Each week he has a consistent performance.”

So, if Darnold is a 6.7 (and I am not sure that will be his final grade), Joe Douglas, the Jets’ general manager, has to decide how much better Darnold can become with a different offensive scheme. Can he ever be a 6.9? Douglas must make sure he has data to support Darnold’s final grade, whatever that may be. As much as I liked Darnold and thought he was a 6.9 coming out of USC, he has been more like a 6.7 (that’s being generous) or lower in large part due to his inconsistent play, durability and inability to cut down on his turnovers. At times, Darnold plays like a 5.9 player: a marginal starter or backup who might start for certain teams, but if he has to play a full season as a starter, he will affect his team’s ability to reach a championship level; if he is a starter, he may be in the bottom 20 at his position. Those words fit Darnold more accurately than the 6.7 does, and Douglas must decide if all of Darnold’s problems are his alone.

Douglas has to project Darnold like he must project Ohio State’s Justin Fields, Alabama’s Mac Jones and Florida’s Kyle Trask. If those players are in the right scheme with the right personnel around them, can they excel to the highest level — and do they have elite talent? Darnold has above-average skill as an athlete and passer. He can make all the throws; he has instincts and a feel for the game. Douglas must be thinking, “If Darnold played in the Browns’ or Vikings’ schemes, would he look more like a 6.9? If he were in Tennessee, would he play as well as Ryan Tannehill?” Those are fair questions and they must be addressed with perfect answers. Does Douglas believe Darnold is a 6.7 who can become a 6.9, or does he believe he will be a 5.9 who, at times, plays like a 6.7? Those are hard questions to answer, and they require precise answers because the future of the franchise depends on Douglas being correct. Once he makes that decision on Darnold, Douglas can move forward with placing the correct grade on the draft-eligible quarterbacks, making his decision easy.

The only thing the Jets’ win over the Rams did was take away an obvious decision. They still have questions that need answers. And if those answers are correct, they can still improve, become a playoff team and have more days of euphoria than sadness.

Brainstorm alert:

Lol it won't happen though - Mike Brown doesn't trade up (I think the last such trade was KiJana Carter :( ).  If you take 'em we end up with the best edge rusher probably (assuming Bengals don't goof around and get Zac his first-ever road win at Houston this week).

For you guys it really probably comes down to how you and Gas..er whoever replaces Gase feel about the 1) The upcoming QB crop/Fields and 2) Darnold.  Setting your OT positions for the next decade is a totally logical strategy all kidding aside.  

Who is at #4 may matter more to you guys than anything else.  Jerrah might make that move for Sewell.  I suppose it is possible the Chargers might too - but do teams trade up for OT that often?  

But if JD likes Fields enough you won't chance it - because if you mess us up at #2 maybe we move down to a team that wants him (but truthfully we just get the pass rusher - which is a huge need too).

-QG

Careful rooting for us against the Texans - Miami has that pick y'know :cool:

-QG

Pretty interesting article.

https://theathletic.com/2278594/2020/12/22/jets-sam-darnold-nfl-draft-trevor-lawrence/

Lombardi basically says that JD first has to assess Darnold without any bias. Then compare to what's available in the draft.. Clearly, Lawrence was a major upgrade to Darnold.  This is only part of the article.

In the Browns/Patriots grading system, the difference between the description of a 6.9 versus a 6.7 is significant even though the numerical grades are relatively close. The words chosen would even make Davis comfortable replacing a 6.7 with a 6.9. The description for a 6.9 player: “He has abilities that can create mismatches versus most opponents. He is a featured player on the team and impacts the outcome of the game. Not one player can take him out of the game. Each week he has a consistent performance.”

So, if Darnold is a 6.7 (and I am not sure that will be his final grade), Joe Douglas, the Jets’ general manager, has to decide how much better Darnold can become with a different offensive scheme. Can he ever be a 6.9? Douglas must make sure he has data to support Darnold’s final grade, whatever that may be. As much as I liked Darnold and thought he was a 6.9 coming out of USC, he has been more like a 6.7 (that’s being generous) or lower in large part due to his inconsistent play, durability and inability to cut down on his turnovers. At times, Darnold plays like a 5.9 player: a marginal starter or backup who might start for certain teams, but if he has to play a full season as a starter, he will affect his team’s ability to reach a championship level; if he is a starter, he may be in the bottom 20 at his position. Those words fit Darnold more accurately than the 6.7 does, and Douglas must decide if all of Darnold’s problems are his alone.

Douglas has to project Darnold like he must project Ohio State’s Justin Fields, Alabama’s Mac Jones and Florida’s Kyle Trask. If those players are in the right scheme with the right personnel around them, can they excel to the highest level — and do they have elite talent? Darnold has above-average skill as an athlete and passer. He can make all the throws; he has instincts and a feel for the game. Douglas must be thinking, “If Darnold played in the Browns’ or Vikings’ schemes, would he look more like a 6.9? If he were in Tennessee, would he play as well as Ryan Tannehill?” Those are fair questions and they must be addressed with perfect answers. Does Douglas believe Darnold is a 6.7 who can become a 6.9, or does he believe he will be a 5.9 who, at times, plays like a 6.7? Those are hard questions to answer, and they require precise answers because the future of the franchise depends on Douglas being correct. Once he makes that decision on Darnold, Douglas can move forward with placing the correct grade on the draft-eligible quarterbacks, making his decision easy.

The only thing the Jets’ win over the Rams did was take away an obvious decision. They still have questions that need answers. And if those answers are correct, they can still improve, become a playoff team and have more days of euphoria than sadness.
Interesting - 

in my opinion Sam is on par with those other prospects not named Lawrence and he has 3 yrs of NFL experience under his belt....id be open to giving him one more try with a real HC and some more weapons....however - the big wild card that the article doesnt mention is $.....there is no way they can pick up his 5th yr option at $20M so that is a big factor....the rookies will be cost controlled for at least 4 yrs....Sam would be a FA at the end of the season...there is the franchise tag but would be $25M+....keeping Sam is definitely more complicated under the cap....if it was just talent Id easily give him one more yr if no Lawrence.  

Lol it won't happen though - Mike Brown doesn't trade up (I think the last such trade was KiJana Carter :( ).  If you take 'em we end up with the best edge rusher probably (assuming Bengals don't goof around and get Zac his first-ever road win at Houston this week).

For you guys it really probably comes down to how you and Gas..er whoever replaces Gase feel about the 1) The upcoming QB crop/Fields and 2) Darnold.  Setting your OT positions for the next decade is a totally logical strategy all kidding aside.  

Who is at #4 may matter more to you guys than anything else.  Jerrah might make that move for Sewell.  I suppose it is possible the Chargers might too - but do teams trade up for OT that often?  

But if JD likes Fields enough you won't chance it - because if you mess us up at #2 maybe we move down to a team that wants him (but truthfully we just get the pass rusher - which is a huge need too).

-QG
Except you're forgetting there is no Chase Young/EDGE player worthy of #3 in the draft. That's a problem.

Wrong. Disqualified right here. I get the sentiment and the need to move forward, but it's wrong. It totally changed the next fifteen years of the franchise. 
Agreed - it took away a slam dunk franchise QB that they havent had since Namath....a top tier HC who would be interested in coaching Trevor....instant respectability and probably a 2 yr rebuild shortcut....I cant sugar coat it...its the worst thing to happen to this organization since Vinny tore his achilles....

Interesting - 

in my opinion Sam is on par with those other prospects not named Lawrence and he has 3 yrs of NFL experience under his belt....id be open to giving him one more try with a real HC and some more weapons....however - the big wild card that the article doesnt mention is $.....there is no way they can pick up his 5th yr option at $20M so that is a big factor....the rookies will be cost controlled for at least 4 yrs....Sam would be a FA at the end of the season...there is the franchise tag but would be $25M+....keeping Sam is definitely more complicated under the cap....if it was just talent Id easily give him one more yr if no Lawrence.  
If they don't like him enough to pick up his option, I don't don't think he should should factor into the decision at 1.02. If the argument for passing on Fields is that Darnold was a similar prospect at the time, and still has a decent chance to meet those expectations,  then wouldn't that same logic suggest that 20M is a good investment?

Douglas faces a lot of really difficult decisions over the next 6 months. Might have the most difficult decisions among GM's to make. 

Who's the next coach? Won't be able to get as good a candidate now that they're out on Lawrence. Doesn't mean they won't get a good coach, but definitely a difficult decision just got more difficult. I'd rather go to LAC if I'm a HC. Or JAX now. HOU needs a coach and despite a lack of assets, they still have a fantastic player at the most important position in Watson. Jets can offer two things: picks and cap. They'll have a high pick (and another 1st) and cap room. Some young players look bright in NY, but we're mostly offering picks and cap.

What do you do at the most important position at QB? Stick with Darnold and hope a new coach can correct his path? Draft a guy at #2? The next HC will undoubtedly have some sway here.

And what about FA? Lots of cap room, but this can go a number of different ways. Sign another Trumaine Johnson or Le'Veon Bell? Or spend it wisely? 

I have more faith in Douglas than Maccagnan or Idzik. But he's got a hell of an offseason ahead of him. 

If I've been kept up at night due to the LAR win, I can't imagine what it's like for Douglas. 

Douglas was an offensive lineman I believe as a player in HS and college. 

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/ravens-long-time-scout-joe-douglas-accepts-job-with-bears-15290989

The Ravens have been known for maintaining continuity within their scouting department. Douglas was one of the group's longest-tenured members. He gained a reputation for liking tough, physical, grinding players.
Not saying that means they take Sewell. Who knows what they do. Lots of big decisions ahead.

I think what was an obvious decision was eroded. You bring in Lawrence and Darnold is your insurance policy for the one year you have left on his contract. Now you are looking at a mess where you likely have to pick up his fifth year option and draft at some other position. This prolongs a rebuild, IMO. You still have to make these decisions with a new coaching staff. This is assuming a lot though, that the Jets actually fire Gase. This is a mess and that win made the spill larger. Gase ran off two of his best players and ran off a future star stud QB for a decade in favor of a win featuring a over the hill Gore for a 1-15 record. Unreal. Had that front office fired Gase a few weeks back this might not be the mess it is now. 

Wrong. Disqualified right here. I get the sentiment and the need to move forward, but it's wrong. It totally changed the next fifteen years of the franchise. 
I'm leaning this way as well. Trying my best to remain optimistic, but honestly, it feels like this franchise is just cursed. There's too many examples of it.

Douglas faces a lot of really difficult decisions over the next 6 months. Might have the most difficult decisions among GM's to make. 

Who's the next coach? Won't be able to get as good a candidate now that they're out on Lawrence. Doesn't mean they won't get a good coach, but definitely a difficult decision just got more difficult. I'd rather go to LAC if I'm a HC. Or JAX now. HOU needs a coach and despite a lack of assets, they still have a fantastic player at the most important position in Watson. Jets can offer two things: picks and cap. They'll have a high pick (and another 1st) and cap room. Some young players look bright in NY, but we're mostly offering picks and cap.

What do you do at the most important position at QB? Stick with Darnold and hope a new coach can correct his path? Draft a guy at #2? The next HC will undoubtedly have some sway here.

And what about FA? Lots of cap room, but this can go a number of different ways. Sign another Trumaine Johnson or Le'Veon Bell? Or spend it wisely? 

I have more faith in Douglas than Maccagnan or Idzik. But he's got a hell of an offseason ahead of him. 

If I've been kept up at night due to the LAR win, I can't imagine what it's like for Douglas. 
Jets went from a hot coaching destination where coaches like Cower were crowing about it to being one of the least desirable....the win literally crushed the franchise and these dopes running it are clueless....they cost themselves hundreds of millions of dollars over the next 10 yrs by just being too stubborn/stupid to play the game and start Morgan....Im sure the meaningless win will carry over like the big impressive run they had against glass teams at the end of 2019....damn im getting fired up again

Users who are viewing this thread