What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (5 Viewers)

Went onto twitter, saw the Jets official account re-tweeting every player on the team bragging about the win......unfollowed. I dont need to hear from Brian Poole, who will undoubtedly jump ship (and he should) for a franchise that actually knows what they're doing this off-season.  Feel horrible for a dude like Becton, who is now destined to play out his prime years taking hits for a loser.

Feels good. Hit the button Cimini as well.  Good riddance you smarmy turd.

I just can't anymore. There's no point.
It was nice posting back and forth with you. Although if you meant what you wrote, then you won't even see this post.

More of a soul crushing win than when the GMen lost the Chase Young Bowl last year. 
One way to look at it is you guys really should have 2 wins now (Raiders) so it could be worse.

Problem is the drop off from Trevor to the other QBs is huge. I wouldn’t take any of them in the top 5.

The Jets played well, and good for them they won't be a winless team.  That image of Frank Gore catching that last pass and falling on his rear end to ice the game is a classic Jets moment. 

As I said before, we can't develop a franchise QB, so why not roll with Darnold and build around him?  He looked really good today, but his coaching has been horrendous (that 2 minute drill before the half.  That 3 and out with 6 mins to go).  Or trade for Matt Ryan.  Or Wentz?  Or even bring back Fitz - sorry, I kid.   We are going to get a VERY good player at #2, and how does that make our team worse?  Lawrence is a crap shoot and I'm tired of seeing this team waste draft picks, do a lousy job of development, and then give up on players too soon (nice TD by Chad Hansen today).  This team has SO MANY holes and one overrated QB is not going to solve that talent gap.

Went onto twitter, saw the Jets official account re-tweeting every player on the team bragging about the win......unfollowed. I dont need to hear from Brian Poole, who will undoubtedly jump ship (and he should) for a franchise that actually knows what they're doing this off-season.  Feel horrible for a dude like Becton, who is now destined to play out his prime years taking hits for a loser.

Yea man that’s really just brutal. He could (probably not but it’s possible) be a Peyton Manning caliber player. Just unspeakable of the front office to allow that win. Should have fired Gase, benched starters and made up an injury for Darnold. 

Agreed.  A stud like Lawrence who already plays in the south should be much more happy about having to play in sunny Florida than cold, ugly New York.  Plus, if you go to Jacksonville, you avoid having to face Belichick twice a year. That alone is a difference maker.  
Bill without Brady now has a worse career coaching record than Rex Ryan. 

The Jets played well, and good for them they won't be a winless team.  That image of Frank Gore catching that last pass and falling on his rear end to ice the game is a classic Jets moment. 

As I said before, we can't develop a franchise QB, so why not roll with Darnold and build around him?  He looked really good today, but his coaching has been horrendous (that 2 minute drill before the half.  That 3 and out with 6 mins to go).  Or trade for Matt Ryan.  Or Wentz?  Or even bring back Fitz - sorry, I kid.   We are going to get a VERY good player at #2, and how does that make our team worse?  Lawrence is a crap shoot and I'm tired of seeing this team waste draft picks, do a lousy job of development, and then give up on players too soon (nice TD by Chad Hansen today).  This team has SO MANY holes and one overrated QB is not going to solve that talent gap.
Lawrence is not a crap shoot.

Playing in NFL big markets is very overrated.  Brees, ARod, and Mahomes play in three of the smallest markets.
The Packers and Chiefs markets are a lot bigger than green bay or KC. I don't think any team other than the Steelers have more fans in more places (and maybe not them). And nobody other than their rivals really dislike them. 

Agreed.  A stud like Lawrence who already plays in the south should be much more happy about having to play in sunny Florida than cold, ugly New York.  Plus, if you go to Jacksonville, you avoid having to face Belichick twice a year. That alone is a difference maker.  
My FIL and I discussed this yesterday. No doubt in my mind I'd rather play and live in Jacksonville. and then my 15yo asked if I were a 21yo athlete making millions what city I'd want to live in. Jacksonville is really high on that list. It isn't as great as NYC for endorsements if he does really well, but he can get those anyway. 

I'm not worried about bill going forward. Reich and vrabel will have more future success than BB.

My FIL and I discussed this yesterday. No doubt in my mind I'd rather play and live in Jacksonville. and then my 15yo asked if I were a 21yo athlete making millions what city I'd want to live in. Jacksonville is really high on that list. It isn't as great as NYC for endorsements if he does really well, but he can get those anyway.
He's from the south and already getting married. He'd probably have a lot more fun with a waterfront mansion in Ponte Vedra than city life.

This is a blessing in disguise for the Jets. They have SO MANY holes to fill in that team. If they draft Lawrence they will waste 4 years of that rookie contract just restocking their roster.

Trade out of that #2 spot to someone desperate for a QB and start building their depth up again. Darnold is a good stopgap with better coaching, and the reality is they will be in position for the next 2 drafts to pick a QB.

Take advantage of that draft position to restock the cupboard and the Jets will be ok in a few years.

I would not be surprised if Gase fired by tomorrow morning, the Jets were fine letting him go 0-16 but now that they are likely to end up No 2 overall, what's the point in hanging on to Gase? Time to start the search process.

There is no upside to this. You get a chance to take Trevor Lawrence, you take him. We already have two additional first-rounders in '20 and '21 for Jamal Adams going to Seattle. If you weren't taking Trevor and and OL, what were you doing? Oh, well. Point is all but moot now.

Jags HOST the Bears next weekend. Chicago is not that good and it's possible they win. 

If Khan were smart he would order them to lose these next 2 weeks and not lost the No 1 Pick. 

This is a blessing in disguise for the Jets. They have SO MANY holes to fill in that team. If they draft Lawrence they will waste 4 years of that rookie contract just restocking their roster.

Trade out of that #2 spot to someone desperate for a QB and start building their depth up again. Darnold is a good stopgap with better coaching, and the reality is they will be in position for the next 2 drafts to pick a QB.

Take advantage of that draft position to restock the cupboard and the Jets will be ok in a few years.
No, its not.

If you have the right QB (likely Lawrence) and the right coach (who they're not gonna get without Lawrence, because everyone knows the franchise is a joke) you can turn things around very quickly.

Darnold isn't a good anything. Today was his "good" game. He threw for a whopping 207 yards and 1 TD (which was on a screen pass)

Through their first 35 starts....

Sam Darnold: 59 percent passes completed, 7,449 yards, 41 touchdowns, 37 interceptions, 77.8 QB rating

Blake Bortles: 59 percent passes completed, 8,680 yards, 53 touchdowns, 42 interceptions, 79.3 QB rating

So yeah, he's worse than Blake Bortles. Its over.  They blew it.

I see your anger, and I respect the #### out of it.  I'm VERY close to being entirely done with this team.  Blah blah blah not a real fan, IDGAF - between fantasy football and making most of my livelihood off of sports betting - I'm more of a fan of the league anyway.  They don't deserve my (or any of our) energy and attention the way we give it to them.  These f'n bozos (organizationally) bring, literally zero joy to my football fandom - outside of being able to vent with you guys and my real world friends about how much we hate them.  What's even the point anymore?  These clowns could mess up a wet dream.  

I'm so disgusted about this team and the horrific luck it has had over the years. Here is it we all invest all this friggen energy into them "losing" this time so they can get this generational player and they "screw up" and can't even do that right.

I"m 1000% convinced that this team has been eternally cursed ever since Joe Willie made that deal with the devil back in 1969 in order for us to have won that Super Bowl. Nothing has changed.

Sooooo...we should all be prepared to either say hello to Justin Fields cause that's who Douglass is going to be tempted too pick or a non-QB. Douglass is a smart guy tho.

The correct move tho and this is the route I believe Douglass will ultimately end up going will be too trade down with let's say the Cowboys at #5 who might not want to pay Dak all that cash coming off a devastating injury. Or to Carolina at #6 a team that could easily be in love with a Fields and has a Bridgewater still for another year for Fields to learn behind.

If Douglass, who should be able to get an RGIII type haul for the 2nd overall pick...if we use Carolina for example, we should be able to get a #6 overall, a 2021 2nd rounder and two 1st rounders in both 2022 and 2023.

Now I know I'm being kind of positive here about the #### that went down yesterday but I do see us now, if we aren't going to get the next Elway like it appears we won't be, with an opportunity to do some serious restocking of the tool shed.

If Douglass can pull something like that off and bring back a haul, considering how much #### this team needs combined with how quickly things can turn around for NFL franchises, I don't think alot of us would be complaining. Yes that would mean we would have another year of Darnold but with better coaching and maybe an Allen Robinson brought in with an improved O-line, I think the Jets would be headed in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday was a huge blow to the team's future obviously. I'm not even going to let myself pretend that Jacksonville will win another game. It's highly unlikely that they'll even try.

I know some of us will want to abandon ship and that sentiment has already been expressed. Well unless the team pulls the ultimate bonehead move of bringing back Adam Gase for another season I will continue to be a glutton for punishment and continue on in my fandom.

I get that the HC job will be a lot less attractive without Trevor Lawrence but the team will still have the second overall pick, an extra first in the next two drafts and more draft capital overall then they've had in a while with close to $100MM in cap space. This is still an attractive job for a hungry young coach (and that's the direction I want them to go with anyway).

So let's look ahead at a few options for how to address the QB position - assuming the Jaguars do not win another game:

1. Draft OT Penie Sewell from Oregon. I think Becton can move over the RT effectively as he's a beat in the running game and while it's not the blindside it's still very important. I am on record as no longer believing in Sam but I'd be open to bringing him back for one last season (without picking up his fifth year option) to give him one last chance under (hopefully) a competent coaching staff, a solid o-line and with some weapons. Mims and Crowder are a good combo for the #2 and slot positions, if they can draft a stud or add a free agent like Allen Robinson or JJSS, this is a solid receiving corp. Under this option I would want the team to add a solid veteran option that can give Sam competition or at the very least replace him if/when he fails.

2. Trade for a veteran like Carson Wentz or Matt Stafford or Matt Ryan and try to compete while rebuilding.

3. Draft Justin Fields. This option scares me after seeing Dwayne Haskins, Cardale Jones and Troy Smith light it up at OSU only to fail miserably in the NFL. If they go in this direction, getting an innovation offensive minded HC or OC is paramount. It's always easy to say trade back and get another QB like Kyle Trask or Zach Wilson with more picks but that's always easier said than done.

I like the title change. The sour grapes in us can say that there’s no guarantee Lawrence will be all that, or that even it the Jets did draft him, they’d find a way to derail his potential.

Either of these scenarios could be true, but as long suffering fans, it would sure be nice for once to have that kind of hope. I also see Fields failing miserably at MetLife.

I'm so disgusted about this team and the horrific luck it has had over the years. Here is it we all invest all this friggen energy into them "losing" this time so they can get this generational player and they "screw up" and can't even do that right.

I"m 1000% convinced that this team has been eternally cursed ever since Joe Willie made that deal with the devil back in 1969 in order for us to have won that Super Bowl. Nothing has changed.

Sooooo...we should all be prepared to either say hello to Justin Fields cause that's who Douglass is going to be tempted too pick or a non-QB. Douglass is a smart guy tho.

The correct move tho and this is the route I believe Douglass will ultimately end up going will be too trade down with let's say the Cowboys at #5 who might not want to pay Dak all that cash coming off a devastating injury. Or to Carolina at #6 a team that could easily be in love with a Fields and has a Bridgewater still for another year for Fields to learn behind.

If Douglass, who should be able to get an RGIII type haul for the 2nd overall pick...if we use Carolina for example, we should be able to get a #6 overall, a 2021 2nd rounder and two 1st rounders in both 2022 and 2023.

Now I know I'm being kind of positive here about the #### that went down yesterday but I do see us now, if we aren't going to get the next Elway like it appears we won't be, with an opportunity to do some serious restocking of the tool shed.

If Douglass can pull something like that off and bring back a haul, considering how much #### this team needs combined with how quickly things can turn around for NFL franchises, I don't think alot of us would be complaining. Yes that would mean we would have another year of Darnold but with better coaching and maybe an Allen Robinson brought in with an improved O-line, I think the Jets would be headed in the right direction.
I get your idea, but the bolded will not happen. Jerry, the team and most of the fans know what a stud Dak is for us; even sick about what “coulda” been if he hadn’t been hurt. No way they give up anything to bring in a QB controversy ####show like the Eagles are experiencing. Dak is the man, and he will get paid to be. Now maybe they trade for a corner, but I doubt it. Besides, they are winning their way to a later draft pick it looks like.

I've been a hard core fan since  82-83, so I am very much used to this... oh well...

As a Knick fan it's a very similar feel, and a groundhog day vibe to it, but that team has to coach and develop, no one is coming to NY without a culture in place.  At this point we have to just get rid of this coach and take baby steps, drafting Trevor was just a bridge too far for a Jet fan dream and it stings a lot, but it's also a very familiar feeling.    

Have to build around Sam now, I'm no College ball expert but Fields/Wilson do not look like the answer. maybe someone else will rise up the draft board but we might as well continue to work on the line, add some real weapons for the guy and get a real freakin coach in here to help Sam be a serviceable with a possible upside QB he still very young only 23 years old .  He played well yesterday against a so called top D.    It's a rough day, same as it ever was.  But hope springs eternal as a Jet Fan... 

I just had this epiphany or nightmare...whatever you want to call it. Would anyone who has been a fan of this god forsaken cursed franchise of ours truly be surprised if next week after the Jets lose to the Browns we turn on the Jags/Bears game and incredibly the Jags beat the Bears as Trubisky turns into...ummm Trubisky. We all start getting pumped up again as the football gods are teasing us again.

So than in week 16 with the possibility of Lawrence once again dancing in our eyes, all of us are paranoid that Belichek is going to rest his starters, ends up actually doing it and the Jets end up beating the Patriots while the Jags lose to the Colts and we lose out on Lawrence for the 2nd time!.

I've read numerous times last night and this morning that what happened yesterday with the Jets 17 point dogs going out to LA and beating the Rams and the possibility of Lawrence coming here being history, the most Jet like thing ever.

Well I disagree, there is one way still to trump what happened yesterday and that is the scenario I just painted where the Jags beat the Bears but we end up beating the Pats which quite frankly is absolutely within the realm of possibility.

Now that my friends would be the most Jet like thing ever!!

Sorry, you're not getting a "haul" for the #2 pick.

I'm no longer sure that Fields is the #2 QB.
I’ve also been reading that many are putting Wilson ahead of Fields. Either way, the Jets will probably pick wrong. Hard to imagine them benefiting from a Herbert situation where a guy slips to them.

Yesterday was a huge blow to the team's future obviously. I'm not even going to let myself pretend that Jacksonville will win another game. It's highly unlikely that they'll even try.

I know some of us will want to abandon ship and that sentiment has already been expressed. Well unless the team pulls the ultimate bonehead move of bringing back Adam Gase for another season I will continue to be a glutton for punishment and continue on in my fandom.

I get that the HC job will be a lot less attractive without Trevor Lawrence but the team will still have the second overall pick, an extra first in the next two drafts and more draft capital overall then they've had in a while with close to $100MM in cap space. This is still an attractive job for a hungry young coach (and that's the direction I want them to go with anyway).

So let's look ahead at a few options for how to address the QB position - assuming the Jaguars do not win another game:

1. Draft OT Penie Sewell from Oregon. I think Becton can move over the RT effectively as he's a beat in the running game and while it's not the blindside it's still very important. I am on record as no longer believing in Sam but I'd be open to bringing him back for one last season (without picking up his fifth year option) to give him one last chance under (hopefully) a competent coaching staff, a solid o-line and with some weapons. Mims and Crowder are a good combo for the #2 and slot positions, if they can draft a stud or add a free agent like Allen Robinson or JJSS, this is a solid receiving corp. Under this option I would want the team to add a solid veteran option that can give Sam competition or at the very least replace him if/when he fails.

2. Trade for a veteran like Carson Wentz or Matt Stafford or Matt Ryan and try to compete while rebuilding.

3. Draft Justin Fields. This option scares me after seeing Dwayne Haskins, Cardale Jones and Troy Smith light it up at OSU only to fail miserably in the NFL. If they go in this direction, getting an innovation offensive minded HC or OC is paramount. It's always easy to say trade back and get another QB like Kyle Trask or Zach Wilson with more picks but that's always easier said than done.
I think I would stick with Sam,  I don't mind the OT option, Becton has been a beast when healthy.  That would be the makings of an unreal line....

I am not sure about trading for Wentz, that contract looks nuts, maybe an Eagle fan can weigh in, but he might not be better than developing Sam at this point...  Maybe bring in a MM or a Winston to compete... 

I would draft a QB if there is a true Gem there, but Fields doesn't look like it to me... but I admittedly I know nothing... Wilson look a little more interesting to me

We need a COACH!

I’ve also been reading that many are putting Wilson ahead of Fields. Either way, the Jets will probably pick wrong. Hard to imagine them benefiting from a Herbert situation where a guy slips to them.
I kind of disagree here, most Jet fans, myself included thought the football gods were finally smiling upon us when Darnold "slipped" to us at #3 after the Browns took Baker and Giants surprisingly took Saquon three years ago. I know alot of us at the time, were thinking Giants were likely going to get whoever the Browns didn't take and we were likley going to be stuck taking either Rosen or Josh Allen....who knew?.

Darnold however was there for us and I know I was dancing in the streets about it as was most of Jet Nation.

I just had this epiphany or nightmare...whatever you want to call it. Would anyone who has been a fan of this god forsaken cursed franchise of ours truly be surprised if next week after the Jets lose to the Browns we turn on the Jags/Bears game and incredibly the Jags beat the Bears as Trubisky turns into...ummm Trubisky. We all start getting pumped up again as the football gods are teasing us again.

So than in week 16 with the possibility of Lawrence once again dancing in our eyes, all of us are paranoid that Belichek is going to rest his starters, ends up actually doing it and the Jets end up beating the Patriots while the Jags lose to the Colts and we lose out on Lawrence for the 2nd time!.

I've read numerous times last night and this morning that what happened yesterday with the Jets 17 point dogs going out to LA and beating the Rams and the possibility of Lawrence coming here being history, the most Jet like thing ever.

Well I disagree, there is one way still to trump what happened yesterday and that is the scenario I just painted where the Jags beat the Bears but we end up beating the Pats which quite frankly is absolutely within the realm of possibility.

Now that my friends would be the most Jet like thing ever!!
The Jags are not winning another game. It's over.

I kind of disagree here, most Jet fans, myself included thought the football gods were finally smiling upon us when Darnold "slipped" to us at #3 after the Browns took Baker and Giants surprisingly took Saquon three years ago. I know alot of us at the time, were thinking Giants were likely going to get whoever the Browns didn't take and we were likley going to be stuck taking either Rosen or Josh Allen....who knew?.

Darnold however was there for us and I know I was dancing in the streets about it as was most of Jet Nation.
That’s a fair point. Jet Nation thought they hit it big with Darnold, but Trevor just seems *different*. As I noted above, maybe Trevor won’t be any different than many #1 overall picks and we won’t have missed out, but things don’t usually work that way for us fans.

The Jags are not winning another game. It's over.
I tend to agree which is why if the scenario I painted actually did occur, it would undoubtedly be the most "Jet like" thing ever and that takes into account 100's of examples over the years...lol

Just comparing the most expensive parts of both areas. Not sure Northern Jersey really helps the case.
I doubt you've been in the "affluent" areas of NY state, NJ or Connecticut if you think living there is a detrimental factor - and even NYC itself is a paradise for the wealthy. I'm not saying there's no one that would prefer Jacksonville, I just saw some  uninformed statements about this area from people that popped into the thread. 

It's over - please dont tell me how Jax could win a game...if they do the Jets will win another...I actually am pretty confident they win another or even both so its all moot.

Just couldnt post last pm....I was too upset....I am more upset now than when we lost a playoff game in the past....this effects the next 15 yrs and they blew it.  The thing that bothers me the most is this was so easy to do....they drafted a QB in the 4th rd.  They dont think hes ready....so the heck what...you play him.  They were 0-13 and going nowhere....A past MVP contender was benched to take a look at the future.  Jets could have easily done the same - and guess what...if Morgan would have played lights out and pulled out a win with ty Johnson leading the way then so be it...but instead we get a fried Darnold and a 37 yr old RB who has zero future here putting the nail in the coffin.  It's mind boggling dumb and if I didnt have Jet blood running through me Id hope they continue to be a joke to show what fools they were by not going down this obvious route.  They are the Jets and they think that means something positive instead of being a joke....they dont fire coaches in season....they wont play young players to see how they do when they are out of it....hows that working out for you now in no mans land!  

Not only does this crush the Lawrence dream but also any hope of getting a top tier coach.....coaches would have lined up to coach Lawrence....now they will be stuck with whack a mole coordinators which they have failed at for decades....its a complete disaster and worst day as a fan since Vinny blew out his achilles.  

My old man is the reason why im a jet fan....hes been in since the 60s....brought me to Shea...he;s old school.  Just argued with him for 15 minutes on how this is a disaster and he's actually happy the Jets got a win..one or two others I know were the same citing you never know and you can get a QB like Mahomes later.....I just dont get it....finding those gems happen once every 5 yrs or more...this was a slam dunk....

I get that the players are happy they won a game...they put in hard work...but to call out fans for being upset and acting like they are not fans is stupid....Ive lived and died over the years with this team and havent received a cent.  Im invested in the long haul while every one of those guys would bail if they got a better deal elsewhere....so be happy for the win but have a clue if you dont see how this doesnt help the franchise long term.  

Im disgusted - will have a therapy post as to hopeful future  to rehabilitate 

Just comparing the most expensive parts of both areas. Not sure Northern Jersey really helps the case.
Ok, since I tried to engage you in legit conversation and you laughed at what I said, I now see you're just an obnoxious troll. I can't make you stay out of here, but I'll just ignore your ignorance from now on. 

Ok, since I tried to engage you in legit conversation and you laughed at what I said, I now see you're just an obnoxious troll. I can't make you stay out of here, but I'll just ignore your ignorance from now on. 
You were condescending off the bat, but likewise. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Even if Douglass decides to trade down from the #2 overall which as I said earlier I think he's going to do and gets a haul, I want him to take Etienne with our back of the 1st round #1 pick from Seattle  that we got in the Jamal trade.

We need someone explosive like that. Let it be written let it be done!...😎

So whats next....I like some of the thoughts above....trying to be optimistic - this disaster does open up a few scenarios I was not expecting....initial thoughts which Im sure will develop over the next few months.  

as for coaching - I have zero idea where they go....Im still hoping for a guy like Campbell or Brady but dont think they come without Lawrence....expecting a Baltimore connection like Martindale and Im not excited about either....

QB - Im just not a fan of drafting another unknown prospect...Fields does not impress me and the other ones are just too risky in my opinion...that may change as we get closer but Im apt to stick with Sam for one more year ala what Tenn did with Tannenhill.  They rolled the dice that he would continue to improve without Gase and it worked....Sam has one more year of cheap control....Id decline the 5th yr since they can always franchise if he blows up which I doubt. 

The other option - I think JD knows this is his make or break it season....after the stink of this disaster I think he makes a big splash....Eagles need to move on from Wentz...JD was VP of player personnel when they drafted Wentz....He was there when Wentz was an MVP...they have the cap space to get him....would probably only take a late rder...I actually like Wentz and would take him over Sam and drafting a QB as it would allow them to not invest another high pick on a QB.  

FA - Sign Thuney - would be a huge upgrade on the OL.....then one of the top WRs (A-Rob, Juju, Golliday) out there then fill in other slots

Draft - Im all in on that monster tackle Sewell......draft Sewell a center and a RB with the 1st 3 picks (on board with Etienne)...completely reset the offense .....OL would be top 10 for a decade and even Sam would look like a different player behind that.  Im not interested in another trade down...I dont think they would get a haul for the #2...they have plenty of picks and its time to get players and no more lotto chips.  

If this works - the offense should be competent.....next year they can focus on the defense....dream of Trevor going TD for TD for Mahomes are gone.....best bet is to return to the Rex era offense and get a killer OL ...have a QB manage the game with some solid WRs and build up the defense in 2022 for a realistic shot at the playoffs.  

:rolleyes:

and have you ever been to Jacksonville?
I was offered a job there. No offense to anyone that lives there and likes it, but I would have preferred being tied down and forced to watch a replay of every Gase game over and over like in A Clockwork Orange than live there. Just not for me and I even lived in the Florida Panhandle for a couple of years.  That said, I'm sure Trevor will find it more his speed. To each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread