What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (7 Viewers)

I’m pretty surprised they haven’t brought in a veteran backup QB yet. Foles makes a ton of sense and he’d be dirt cheap.
I think they wanted to use the voluntary OTAs to assess what they have and will make adjustments to the roster before training camp.

I didn't really have a problem with drafting Morgan last year, but the fact that they didn't even consider using him in a tanking season and that he looks terrible in the OTAs is not encouraging.

Perfect timing for this article. Not behind a pay wall for me. Let me know if it is for you.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2021/06/what-i-learned-while-doing-projections-for-all-32-teams-2021-fantasy-football/
Yeah, it's free and visible.

I still believe that many people are overrating Crowder in their projections this year and underrating Moore's contributions. I even think Cole will do more than Crowder, but that's just me. I don't see Davis as a target hog either.

Yeah, it's free and visible.

I still believe that many people are overrating Crowder in their projections this year and underrating Moore's contributions. I even think Cole will do more than Crowder, but that's just me. I don't see Davis as a target hog either.
I know the more weapons the better for Wilson's development, but I'm kind of hoping Crowder gets traded or released soon. I really want to see Moore and Mims get extensive playing time this season and Berrios can be the fallback option in the slot if necessary. Throw Cole into the mix and the Jets just have so much potential in the WR room already. Additionally, I know this is probably unfair, but Crowder just has that Gase stink all over him - as the guy force fed the ball in the slot the last two years.

I know the more weapons the better for Wilson's development, but I'm kind of hoping Crowder gets traded or released soon. I really want to see Moore and Mims get extensive playing time this season and Berrios can be the fallback option in the slot if necessary. Throw Cole into the mix and the Jets just have so much potential in the WR room already. Additionally, I know this is probably unfair, but Crowder just has that Gase stink all over him - as the guy force fed the ball in the slot the last two years.
Agreed.

Gase or Big-Head Sam?

A friend and I were talking about fantasy RBs this morning. I have always loved CMC, but so much of his value comes from receptions. So many times RBs like Bell were open for 6-8 yards a pop, but big-head would force it downfield instead for an incomplete pass or worse.  I was wondering if that was Sammy Slingshot's decision or Gase's play-calling?  Or both.

Either way, I would think that Joe Brady will call for those screen passes to CMC. They might be 50-50 Balls to CMC vs the LB or defensive end standing in between them, but it will be more frequent than Gase checked down for sure.

I would think the screen pass will be a big play in our offense. I can't wait to see Carter in action.

Agreed.

Gase or Big-Head Sam?

A friend and I were talking about fantasy RBs this morning. I have always loved CMC, but so much of his value comes from receptions. So many times RBs like Bell were open for 6-8 yards a pop, but big-head would force it downfield instead for an incomplete pass or worse.  I was wondering if that was Sammy Slingshot's decision or Gase's play-calling?  Or both.

Either way, I would think that Joe Brady will call for those screen passes to CMC. They might be 50-50 Balls to CMC vs the LB or defensive end standing in between them, but it will be more frequent than Gase checked down for sure.

I would think the screen pass will be a big play in our offense. I can't wait to see Carter in action.
Just imagine.....a Jets' offense with some playmakers in it?

I'm on the same page with you as far as being wary about getting too excited only to have "Lucy pull the football", but I'm truly looking forward to watching this team in 2021. Obviously it all comes down to Wilson, and at this point I feel good about that.

Just imagine.....a Jets' offense with some playmakers in it?

I'm on the same page with you as far as being wary about getting too excited only to have "Lucy pull the football", but I'm truly looking forward to watching this team in 2021. Obviously it all comes down to Wilson, and at this point I feel good about that.
The closest thing was Decker and Marshall? The offense has been barren for years and now I'm finally excited again.

The closest thing was Decker and Marshall? The offense has been barren for years and now I'm finally excited again.
This might strike people as slight hyperbole (and it is) but what's sort of sad is that if we'd just stuck with Fitzpatrick throughout the years, we might have sniffed a playoffs or two. As it is, we're left holding the bag of what could have beens.

This might strike people as slight hyperbole (and it is) but what's sort of sad is that if we'd just stuck with Fitzpatrick throughout the years, we might have sniffed a playoffs or two. As it is, we're left holding the bag of what could have beens.
Maybe, but then again Mighty Magical Fitz killed us against Buffalo when we needed to win to get into the playoffs. I think Fitz is the guy of guy that provides a spark, but it is pretty mediocre and gets exposed as a longer term starter imo.

Maybe, but then again Mighty Magical Fitz killed us against Buffalo when we needed to win to get into the playoffs. I think Fitz is the guy of guy that provides a spark, but it is pretty mediocre and gets exposed as a longer term starter imo.
Agreed. One can only hope that he has a full year in him this time without getting exposed. I think his arm might have gotten stronger as the years go on. Did you see that throw against Vegas while getting ripped by the facemask? Truly awesome. Will we even get to see him do it, or does Deshaun wind up in WAS? Lots of intrigue this year in the NFL.

Agreed. One can only hope that he has a full year in him this time without getting exposed. I think his arm might have gotten stronger as the years go on. Did you see that throw against Vegas while getting ripped by the facemask? Truly awesome. Will we even get to see him do it, or does Deshaun wind up in WAS? Lots of intrigue this year in the NFL.
I kind of saw it, but I was in a fog still thinking how I didn't get that Jacobs rushing td (which later cost me a Championship in one of my leagues).

I think Houston missed the boat on trading Watson for a boatload. I don't think he gets traded this year, but if he does, it will be at a discount.

He was pretty terrible his second year with the Jets.

Herndon dropped a pass that ended up getting intercepted. Yikes. Just trade for Ertz already. We have plenty of picks. We can spare a third day pick.

Mike Clay says that we should trade Crowder for Ertz with some contract restructuring. Hmm, with my cut Crowder and trade for Ertz posts, I never put the two together. I didn't think the Eagles needed another WR, but maybe.

Mike Clay says that we should trade Crowder for Ertz with some contract restructuring. Hmm, with my cut Crowder and trade for Ertz posts, I never put the two together. I didn't think the Eagles needed another WR, but maybe.
The Eagles need anybody who can get open.

Figured I'd update with a beat reporter, too.

Connor Hughes

@Connor_J_Hughes

·33m

Elijah Moore is catching touchdowns in the red zone again. Guy near unstoppable down here by goal line #Jets

In the last 3 years, they've drafted 2 WRs in the first round, one in the second, and 2 other guys. I guess they need to draft better.

Btw, does Hurts even throw?
Oh yeah, they've drafted a bunch of them and they've flopped magnificently. Arcega-Whiteside over Metcalf, Reagor over Jefferson. This time they got the Slim Reaper, who by all accounts is THE outlier of outliers.

LOL at the boldface font. We don't really know yet, do we? He had a good game against AZ that would have won me a semifinal but he was sitting and planted firmly on my bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a no brainer and JD pounced....JuJu only made $8.5 on the market...Crowder making $10M was ridiculous...if he got cut he would have been lucky to make $5M....He now has guaranteed money for the year - Im guessing they gave him $6M which is a hair over Cole.  They can trade him, roll the money for next year or invest in Moses and a CB.  Finally have a real GM.  

It was a no brainer and JD pounced....JuJu only made $8.5 on the market...Crowder making $10M was ridiculous...if he got cut he would have been lucky to make $5M....He now has guaranteed money for the year - Im guessing they gave him $6M which is a hair over Cole.  They can trade him, roll the money for next year or invest in Moses and a CB.  Finally have a real GM.  
Yep at this point in the offseason he wasn't making $5MM on the market - although that doesn't necessarily bode well for trading him.

His salary was $10m, but his cap number was $11.375m.  Insane. He's been a good player, but man did McCan't overpay. Thank God that fool is long gone. We're still paying an enormous price on Mosley, not to mention dead cap hits for Trumaine Johnson $8m, another $4m for Bell, plus $3.6m  Enunwa (terrible contract) and H. Anderson $1.2 (oof, he robbed us blind last year) .

We finally have a competent GM!.

We're still paying an enormous price on Mosley,
I’m hoping he makes an impact this year. He’s a good player - despite milking that injury and then opting out. I know it was a tiny sample size but he played like an animal that first game before he had to leave the game.

I’m hoping he makes an impact this year. He’s a good player - despite milking that injury and then opting out. I know it was a tiny sample size but he played like an animal that first game before he had to leave the game.
They say he looks good in camp, but man that was an awful contract. Who pays a MLB $17m??? We've had some bad GMs, but McCant was the worst by far. Always drafting the least important positions and overpaying everyone with guaranteed contracts in FA.

They say he looks good in camp, but man that was an awful contract. Who pays a MLB $17m??? We've had some bad GMs, but McCant was the worst by far. Always drafting the least important positions and overpaying everyone with guaranteed contracts in FA.
Yes it was a bad contract for sure.

I don't think mosley milked the injury in 2019. I think he was legitimately hurt and then hurt himself worse rushing back for the pats game. 

Do I think he took advantage of the covid opt out to avoid putting his body on the line for Gase? Yes.  

Hes still only 28 (29 in a few days). Certainly not impossible for him to bounce back to pro bowl level. It will still be an over pay, but if he's an elite player again (unlikely,  but certainly possible) it won't be too bad.

Listening to Saleh's press conference now. What a pleasure having a communicator like this. He's intelligent, open and sincere with the press. Saleh is very personable and manages those vipers in the press well. 

So night and day with the last clown. Bowles wasn't a great communicator either. Ryan and Herm were bs artists. Mangini was cut from the BB cloth.  Saleh is probably the best communicator by far of all of them. I'm sure that carries over to the relationships with the players.  It's hard to believe that the last clown didn't even speak to many of his players.

We had some dark years recently, but I truly believe that we are headed on a good path.

Listening to Saleh's press conference now. What a pleasure having a communicator like this. He's intelligent, open and sincere with the press. Saleh is very personable and manages those vipers in the press well. 

So night and day with the last clown. Bowles wasn't a great communicator either. Ryan and Herm were bs artists. Mangini was cut from the BB cloth.  Saleh is probably the best communicator by far of all of them. I'm sure that carries over to the relationships with the players.  It's hard to believe that the last clown didn't even speak to many of his players.

We had some dark years recently, but I truly believe that we are headed on a good path.
It's still early but the signs are there....JD's report card is looking very good on trades and draft...not perfect by any means but light years ahead of the last 2 GMs

Jury out on Saleh as he'll be on a honeymoon for a while but the roots are there - CEO of entire team....motivator....good communicator as well as XOs....

Not expecting miracles but the decade of rebuilding finally has a plan and solid base.....if they can avoid injuries, develop the players this could be the run we have been waiting for.....

It's still early but the signs are there....JD's report card is looking very good on trades and draft...not perfect by any means but light years ahead of the last 2 GMs

Jury out on Saleh as he'll be on a honeymoon for a while but the roots are there - CEO of entire team....motivator....good communicator as well as XOs....

Not expecting miracles but the decade of rebuilding finally has a plan and solid base.....if they can avoid injuries, develop the players this could be the run we have been waiting for.....
This team is going to have its ups and downs with a rookie QB and new offense & defense, but will be a pain in the ### to play against. It's 2022 when we take off. A year of experience for Wilson and the players in the new offense and defense, plus another FA and draft class to fill the remaining holes.

There's no doubt the team will suffer some growing pains. All we can do as fans is hope that Zach Wilson becomes a good-to-great QB in this league. Otherwise, everything is for naught.

That's who it's all about and don't kid yourselves. It's all on the kid. He's the necessary condition in the logical puzzle of who gets a ring. It's Wilson, Moore, Mims, and Davis I'll be watching, not guys like Keelan Cole on a one-year deal.

It's a pretty stark assessment, but we're not winning a Super Bowl this year, and that's where we stand about now. But what a good couple of first steps we've taken, all the way from the owner to the GM to the coach!

Saleh today:

“I’m going to take you through a scenario, if I can paint a picture for you all. Last year was trying for this organization. If you really want to measure the character of the individuals that are in this locker room, this team had that 0-for start, had a pretty bad loss at the last second, travel all the way to Seattle. They’re 0-for, they travel all the way over to Seattle and Seattle gets after them pretty good. They have to fly all the way back for a week’s worth of practice, then go all the way back out to the West Coast to play the Rams, who are a playoff team, and this group of men win. That is probably one of the hardest things to do in football. To have that type of travel, after having consecutive losses that happened to them, to have the character, the resolve, to bounce back against a playoff team, playing for a division. Then to come back home and beat Cleveland, who was another playoff team. I get they were shorthanded, but it doesn’t matter, it’s still the NFL. It just speaks volumes to the resolve of the people that were in this locker room. So, when we did get here, that resolve showcased itself immediately. These young men want to work, they’ve been very receptive, they’ve been easy to work with. Like I said: We’re excited to go through some hard times with them because we feel we have men of great character.”

There's no doubt the team will suffer some growing pains. All we can do as fans is hope that Zach Wilson becomes a good-to-great QB in this league. Otherwise, everything is for naught.

That's who it's all about and don't kid yourselves. It's all on the kid. He's the necessary condition in the logical puzzle of who gets a ring. It's Wilson, Moore, Mims, and Davis I'll be watching, not guys like Keelan Cole on a one-year deal.

It's a pretty stark assessment, but we're not winning a Super Bowl this year, and that's where we stand about now. But what a good couple of first steps we've taken, all the way from the owner to the GM to the coach!
Conner Hughes:

"Stop sleeping on Cole. The Jets genuinely love the 28-year-old. They tried trading for him in training camp the last two offseasons. Jacksonville wouldn’t bite".

Conner Hughes:

"Stop sleeping on Cole. The Jets genuinely love the 28-year-old. They tried trading for him in training camp the last two offseasons. Jacksonville wouldn’t bite".
I read that a few days ago. One-year deal was the main point of what I'm saying. If you're looking two years down the road, a one-year guy is really just to smooth the transition or get the quarterback acclimated.

Saleh today:

“I’m going to take you through a scenario, if I can paint a picture for you all. Last year was trying for this organization. If you really want to measure the character of the individuals that are in this locker room, this team had that 0-for start, had a pretty bad loss at the last second, travel all the way to Seattle. They’re 0-for, they travel all the way over to Seattle and Seattle gets after them pretty good. They have to fly all the way back for a week’s worth of practice, then go all the way back out to the West Coast to play the Rams, who are a playoff team, and this group of men win. That is probably one of the hardest things to do in football. To have that type of travel, after having consecutive losses that happened to them, to have the character, the resolve, to bounce back against a playoff team, playing for a division. Then to come back home and beat Cleveland, who was another playoff team. I get they were shorthanded, but it doesn’t matter, it’s still the NFL. It just speaks volumes to the resolve of the people that were in this locker room. So, when we did get here, that resolve showcased itself immediately. These young men want to work, they’ve been very receptive, they’ve been easy to work with. Like I said: We’re excited to go through some hard times with them because we feel we have men of great character.”
Love this coach - he's inspiring like Rex without the circus.....I really hope he develops as a solid game day coach as he brings all the intangibles to the table....longest Jet coach tenure is 10 yrs with Weeb.....Rex had 5 which is most in modern era after 2000.....it would be so huge if they could finally have a GM/coach duo last a decade.....

Pretty much. 

Now, he still has to pass the "does he do stupid stuff in game" test, (and we'll see how the game plans look) but yeah....he seems to be the ideal mix at the press conference table.  

Saleh says that he likes what he sees from his young CBs and has lots of them. So it doesn't sound like they will be adding a veteran any time soon.

In case anyone is wondering about our week 1 opponent,

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article252101618.html

Interceptions, tipped throws, and missed receivers. However, Rhule thinks that is a great thing.

“I don’t want (Darnold) to have great days, to be honest with you, right now,” Rhule said. “Because that means we’re not making things hard enough for him. I want him to have good days of just steady progress, to be good days slowly to great days.”

Jeremy Fowler reports that the Jets and Morgan Moses are making progress on a potential multi-year deal. Nothing done yet, but the Jets are considered the favorite to land him and have made a compelling push to sign him.

Love the Darnold comments - literally laughing out loud

As for Moses - very interesting - would love it....definite upgrade on Fant and opens up lots of possibilities as well as great depth.  Loving the priority JD is placing on the OL.  

Hate to be a downer tho - is there any chance they are doing this because of Becton's foot....hopefully just insurance but man we need the big guy this year.  

Love the Darnold comments - literally laughing out loud

As for Moses - very interesting - would love it....definite upgrade on Fant and opens up lots of possibilities as well as great depth.  Loving the priority JD is placing on the OL.  

Hate to be a downer tho - is there any chance they are doing this because of Becton's foot....hopefully just insurance but man we need the big guy this year.  
Definitely insurance for Becton, but also for Edoga who sucks (and McDermott who is probably even worse).

Plus they may be able to plug him at RG.

You can't have too much insurance on the offensive line.  I'm always in favor of smart signings on the line.  Don't give a mediocre starter, like Solder, the largest contract ever at his position (at the time), but otherwise I like trying to improve the line, even if you're just trying to improve your backups.

You can't have too much insurance on the offensive line.  I'm always in favor of smart signings on the line.  Don't give a mediocre starter, like Solder, the largest contract ever at his position (at the time), but otherwise I like trying to improve the line, even if you're just trying to improve your backups.
Word is that a signing should happen in the next day or so.

If so, he would come in as the RT and Fant would move to the swing tackle position backing up both tackle spots and coming in as an extra tackle on certain running plays.

Moses was ranked as the 6th best RT last year. He's an upgrade to Fant. I guess the Jets are comfortable with his scheme fit.

Crowder's salary was cut in half (and now guaranteed) That's $5m savings to the cap. Money for Moses?

Users who are viewing this thread